Redskins add long-snapper Dearth

The Redskins have signed long snapper James Dearth to compete with Nick Sundberg, a person familiar with the situation said Saturday.

Dearth, who formerly played for the New York Jets, was among the long snappers the Redskins worked out last week because of their concern about Sundberg's poor snapping on field-goal attempts during training camp.

Sundberg appeared to perform well on point-after attempts during Friday night's 42-17 rout of the Buffalo Bills in a preseason opener. After last season, Washington did not attempt to re-sign Ethan Albright, a 15-year veteran who was with the Redskins the past nine seasons. Albright, 39, hopes to continue his career.

By Jason Reid  |  August 14, 2010; 9:44 PM ET
Categories:  Special teams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: With little time to prepare, Beck did what he could against Bills
Next: Pluses and minuses for Devin Thomas

Comments

I wonder if its the veteran minimum salary that kept the skins from re-signing Albright. Correct me if I'm wrong, but given his tenure in the league, I believe he has to earn more than $1 million. And the young guys are clearly a lot cheaper for roster spot #53. Albright's a gamer and would probably play for $10 and 2 cases of beer. I for one would like to see him back.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 14, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

In a year without a salary cap, I see no reason not to bring back Albright. Considering that the kicker is usually the highest scoring player on the team, and their success depends so much on a good snap, why not bring back the snapper who has been so consistently good year after year. A bad snap can too easily cost you the game.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 14, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Bring back the Red Snapper!

Posted by: MrDumberton | August 14, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

There must be a dearth of long snappers out there.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 14, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from Missouri, and missed most of today's discussions.

The game gave me reason to be optomistic, but not overly so.

I was reasonably impresed by the performance of the O-line last night. Both the first and second teams did well. McNabb and Grossman both had good protection. All three RB's had good opportunities to move the ball behind their blocking. I particularly thought Edwin Williams looked impressive with the backups.

McNabb was about on par with what should be expected. Grossman did a very good job of managing the offense, but came dangerously close to getting picked off on a couple of plays.

I think that Roydell Williams will be a definate contributer at WR. Armstrong looked good too, and may be a keeper. I need to see more though to be convinced. Thomas' performance was mixed. He had a couple of good catches, including the big TD. He also had a drop, and his kick return duties were less than impressive. Austin didn't impress me much in this game.

Banks looked amazing on his TD return. However, I thought he showed a lack of judgement on the punt he mishandled. He should have just gone straight upfield, and made the most of the situation. Instead, he tried to make something out of nothing and wound up losing more yards.

Andre Carter seemed completely lost anytime he had to drop back into coverage. That was not encouraging.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 14, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

There must be a dearth of long snappers out there.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 14, 2010 10:49 PM |

There was, but not anymore since the Redskins signed him.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 14, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Mayor --

Please push the Albright story forward... is he reachable? What's going on there?

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 14, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

I think the Skins would have preferred to play Bartell last night and give Beck another week to learn the offense before they put him in a game. Bartell's hamstring injury forced them to play Beck before he was ready. Sure he sucked, but what do you expect. Dude's only been on the team 10 days! If he's still sucking two weeks from now, that's another story.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 14, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Let's not bash Beck too badly. He did look rough, but he's only been around for a couple of days. I was concerned about the number of balls batted down at the line of scrimmage (3), but am willing to give him some time. Even McNabb has struggled at times picking up the Shanny's O, and he's been here since Easter, so I think that buys Beck another week or two...

Eager to see MK get on the field and catch some balls in this new O.

Posted by: edvar | August 15, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, kaasmaster, if the dude still sucks two weeks from now, THEN we start singin

Posted by: frak | August 15, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

I've slept on those grates in flames in winter, and I'm tellin' you, they got nuclear reactors under the city!! No lie!!
Yeah, they'd tell you about them..

Posted by: frak | August 15, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

I think K. Williams is still a project at RB, and will probably be relegated to the practice squad. He ran well in the game, but needs to work on protecting the ball. He was lucky to fall on the ball on the run where it was knocked out of his hands. There were a couple more times I thought he was being reckless with the ball. Fumbles won't earn him a spot on the roster. Not with the competition he's facing this year.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 15, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Nothing against Sundberg but Albright never did anything but deliver.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 15, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Where are ya beep-beep? My comment about Albright is starting to make a little more sense. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 15, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for youth but we need to hold on to as many people that can produce as we can.

Red snapper should be brought in.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 15, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Red snapper should be brought in.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 15, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing Shanahan looked at the Red Snapper and decided he couldn't cover kicks and tackle well enough.

Flawless in delivering the ball to the holder and punter? Yes. But is that enough for Shanahan? Apparently not.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 15, 2010 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Anybody see the bomb Marko Mitchell caught in the Vikings game? Wish they'd kept him.

Posted by: rfjh1 | August 15, 2010 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Mike Williams (Blast From Da Past, Detroit 1st a few years ago) scored a 50 yard mostly YAC for da Seahawks!!

Posted by: frak | August 15, 2010 2:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rfjh1 | August 15, 2010 2:19 AM

I knew that would happen. I told you. HE can play. Some of the guys we have at WR cannot. Armstrong dropped the ball twice on his catch and never crossed the line. (not a TD, technically)

Mitchell was a big, fat mistake by this new regime.

Let's hope Albright wasn't as well. Seems like an unnecessary dick move if you ask me.

Dearth. Dearth Digler? Dearth Vader? Dearth to Bruce Allen... WTF are you doing?

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 15, 2010 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Que the shoulda woulda coulda d-bags. Hey, why can't we go get Marcus Mason back too? Tools.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 15, 2010 2:51 AM | Report abuse

"He couldn't learn the offense"

"He has a bad work ethic"

BS excuses by supposed fans.

He was cut because he was a 7th round draft pick and Kelly was a 2nd rounder with a nice contract. All they had to do was look at the fade he caught for a TD vs the fade Kelly couldn't reel in. Case Closed.

One guy has instincts and uses his 6'4" body well.

The other guy doesn't have any body control and was not graced with the instinct of knowing when to jump.

Guess which one has a fat paycheck this week?

There's not much to "learning an offense" for a WR. It basically comes with repetition and communication with the QB and O coordinator.

Marko Mitchell was a playmaker. Hopefully, Minnesota will cut him and we get him back. He's 6 foot fing 4.

That move still pisses me off. Do they not have tape? Did they not look at it? Just not smart.

I think we'll overcome it, but, man, it would be nice to have a good, young, unstoppable receiver working toward a fat payday, dontcha think? I sure as F do!

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 15, 2010 3:03 AM | Report abuse

"Que" is spelled "Cue", you moron.

"Que" means "What" in Spanish.

You Coulda shut the F up.

You Shoulda minded your own business.

You Woulda been better off going to bed or having another beer.

Marcus Mason is nothing. Marko Mitchell is good. If you knew more about football and less about commenting, you'd know that.

Here's your tool to clear your throat.

Cue the rant by the resident troll...

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 15, 2010 3:08 AM | Report abuse

Not re-signing Red Snapper is a classic case of "for the want of a nail" reasoning, that could bite the 'skins in the buttcheeks.

Red has NEVER had a bad snap, and all it takes is one at a critical time to cost the team a game, and the playoffs. Penny wise pound foolish in this instance.

Ijnstead of a competition, they'd have the position locked down with Albright.

Posted by: TheCork | August 15, 2010 3:28 AM | Report abuse

Greetings:

E. Albright was a MISTAKE and there is no other way to look at it. As to Marko Mitchell, among other things he was not a good second level blocker and his blocking ability as a WR in general was weak. If you compare him to the two 2008 second round WR duds you would get no argument from me on that front. Yes, he was cut because he's a 7th rounder vs a 2nd rounder (or two) like DT and MK. Neither of those two belong in the NFL. I don't hold with the opinion that MM will be a stud at wideout however, he is better than what the Redskins have in the dynamic duo (spelled Duds in any other language). I could be wrong about MM and I do wish him well in his career.

I'm just some old guy on a rant.

Bob Schnebly
www.bobschnebly.com

Posted by: StarLyrara | August 15, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | August 15, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

If Marko would play special teams and maybe add some body weight he would still be with this team!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 15, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Apparently all the bloggers above did not consider that Albright is 39 years old...and
that few teams would consider signing him.
My guess, is that if the present long snappers are not working out..the Skins might re-sign him. Because of his age..replacing him would happen very soon anyway.
I saw Mitchell`s catch..he was wide open..someone blew coverage. I don`t think Mike worries that Kelly and Thomas were second round picks..that was 3 years ago. Also, they did not draft them.
Remember..the coaches see the players day after day..and look at tons of tape on each one. Mitchell barely played last year..with Zorn..and now Shanny cut him. There has to be a reason(s). I would not count on seeing Kelly here as of Sept. 4th or whenever. Thomas is iffy also..maybe because he can return kick offs he will remain. He_ _, even Joey G. at 37 years of age is ahead of Thomas at5 this point!

Posted by: blazerguy234 | August 15, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

@Thinker_

Rants about misspelled words are trite conceits in a world ruled by spell check. Let it go.

"Que" may mean "what" in Spanish, but "queue" means to line up in English and we can reason from context this is what was intended. It would be bit odd usage, but it's a common problem with homonyms - especially ones that derive from the same root concepts. For example: CUE and QUEUE.

Cue the jerky message board trolls. - would mean: give the jerks the signal to start doing their thing.

Queue the jerky message board trolls. - would mean: get the jerks lined up to start taking their turns.

Similar concepts, even if one is clearly more standard.

Posted by: gconrads | August 15, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

You know it would help if you include in your story that the Red Snapper Ethan Albright had off-season back surgery and isn't probably quite ready for the pounding he'll take as a long snapper right now.

Posted by: papaskynz | August 15, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse