Redskins, Danny Smith hope for many happy returns

In case you missed yesterday's story on the Redskins' search for a punt and kick returner entering this season, we'll take a more extensive look at some of the extras that were not able to make it into the story.

First, Santana Moss spoke not only about what it takes to be a successful returner in the league, but also whether or not he would like to get a chance to return punts again this year. Moss was a successful returner in college and has also produced solid returns for Washington, though he pulled a hamstring when returning a punt for a touchdown against Detroit in 2008.

"If it's allowed I'll do it," Moss said. "Whatever the team wants, I'll do. I'm not big on going out and saying, 'Hey, I'll do this.' I'm not that kind of guy. If it's allowed and they want me to I won't turn it down."

When Danny Smith was asked how much he'd like to use Moss, he was quick to discuss the difficulties of asking a playmaker to fill that role every few games.

"Santana Moss is a great person and a great player, Santana Moss will do anything I ask him to do," Smith said. "I love the guy I can't say enough good things about him. He's got a big responsibility to this football team as a receiver and we have to do a good job as coaches. There are 53 guys out there and we're dressing 45 of them, everybody has a role. And if his role is to take a spot this particular week in [returning] he will do those things. That's not easy to do.

"It's not easy to go out there one time and everybody expects you to be the game-changer. They need to get into a rhythm too, much like a quarterback needs to get into a rhythm, much like a pitcher needs to get into a rhythm, much like a point guard needs to get into a rhythm. And at that point that punt returner is the quarterback technically. You put the ball in his hands. And I think we put pressure on guys like that with, 'Hey we're going to do it once every three games, go do it.' That's hard to do for any of us. But if he's asked to do that, he will do that and he'll do it to the best of his ability."

Here's more ...

Smith on kickoff return, Rock Cartwright's consistency and what he looks for out of a return:

"Just as an example, last year the 31-yard line on kickoff return led the league. 31.1 yard line was the best starting point in the league by the Cleveland Browns and they returned three for touchdowns if I'm not mistaken with Cribbs. So when you think about catching a kickoff and you think about getting to the 31 it doesn't sound like a lot, it doesn't sound like it's hard, but 31.1 yard line on a consistent basis leads the league. And that's generally what it is, 31-, 32-yard line. It was 33 a few years ago when Devin Hester had his big year. So you're talking about the 31-, 32-, 33-, to lead the league on a consistent basis. So you've got to have that guy that can push a pile, the guy that can break it, but you always do want that threat of a home run. Sometimes you gotta stick somebody in the end zone.

"If you think about the kickoff return, and this is how they teach it, just that particular play, we're either opening a game to set the standard right there for field position, we're opening a half to set the standard for that half, or they just scored and now they're kicking to us, so it's our retaliation of how we're going to react to what's just happened to our defense in this case. We've just given up points, now here's our chance to retaliate. Now if we get the ball to the 20, it ain't good enough, we haven't retaliated. They got to play against us, we got to get it to the 31 and we've got to put it in the end zone now and then and I think we do have the people to do that."

Smith on if there will be space to keep two guys if those are the best two at punt and kick return:
"We're trying to find the best at every position on this football team and it's no different with our returners. If that guy happens to be the best at both than it's a good situation because then it gives you another roster spot somewhere along the line. If it's not and it's a best punt returner and a best kickoff returner you find a way to keep those guys. And ultimately Coach Shanahan will make that decision. But it doesn't have to be one guy, it can be two different guys - we want the best at each position and a punt returner and a kickoff returner are no different."

Smith on if he's been able to evaluate a lot in practice or if games are the best way:
"[Games are] the best evaluation. Obviously everything we do on a daily basis gets evaluated, okay. Me as a coach I evaluate, Coach Shanahan evaluates every day and we discuss it. In those situation we have a plan and we have what we think and what we predict is going to happen. But ultimately it's doing it in games. First time under pressure so that's the ultimate test is what we're working to. We'll have a plan and an idea going into that but yes they have to do it on a consistent basis in the preseason to get a spot on this roster."

Brian Mitchell also spoke extensively on the subject of punt and kick returner and also had some interesting things to say regarding the Redskins return situation last season. Mitchell said he's seen tape of rookie Terrence Austin and he believes he has "it," but that he'll be interested to see how it plays out.

Here's more from Mitchell ...

On Randle El and why he wasn't effective:
"I think for the return with Randle El for the last few years it was more the fact that Randle El became a starter. And when you become a starter your mindset is - and everyone thinks like this, Devin Hester is the same way - 'Now do I go all out returning punts and kicks or am I trying to save myself for offense?' If a guy is a cornerback who returns punts, 'Do I go all out or save myself for defense?' I saw Randle El in Pittsburgh and in his first year here and when caught the ball he got upfield, he was being fearless. The last two to three years, when he caught the ball I would see him, I would say being lazy.

"I'm not saying he didn't work hard, I'm saying lazy as far as film study and preparation for the game. When I walked on the football field when I knew it was a punt, I went from the sideline straight to where I knew I needed to be. I knew if he kicked 42-44 yards average, I would be 42 yards from the ball. I knew where he was kicking it and I was moving there before he did. When I saw Randle El couldn't field the ball or get to the ball, I knew he didn't do any of it till it was kicked. He didn't go through pre-kick [preparation]. I don't think he was doing it.

"And when he caught the football, his first move was always, he caught it two feet side by side or still backing up. Most returners catch it with one foot back ready to take off and go forward. ... He was no longer fearless. He needed to be healthy for offense, and that messed with his head. ... Teams with successful guys are guys who are dedicated to kick and punt return and other stuff is their second job. If the first job is offense or defense and kick and punt return is the secondary job, you're not going to give the same effort."

On whether competition will help and also on Santana Moss:
"I feel that way. And I think it doesn't necessarily have to be a young guy. I think if you have seven guys competing, then the guys are busting their [behinds] to make sure they're the top guy coming out of it. It can be an older guy looking for way to make themselves be there, a third or fourth receiver. That'd be a better guy. I respect Santana hands down. If they could, every play they'd do it with Santana but he's worth so much to the offense. I worry when he's back there because he gives his all every time. I look at him myself, Deion Sanders, guys that no matter if it's offense, defense or special teams they give 100-percent every time. You know what they're going to give you. They can only take so much...those type of guys you love them but you have to protect them from themselves."

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 10, 2010; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Santana Moss , Special teams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Keiland Williams finds himself in familiar position: with plenty of competition
Next: Brandon Banks lines up at QB in Wildcat formation

Comments

Way to throw Randle El under the bus, Danny Smith.

Smith shouldn't even have a job.

Posted by: gimmedat | August 10, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Sandy Vag and the Soreness is a great Punk Rock band name.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 10, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 10, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

i8hdallas

"I just saw on Redskins.com, the twitter part, that the offense can score in the redzone at will."

This is a great development, no doubt.

However, an issue the skins' offense has had is that for ten years, it stalled just after it got within 30-40 yards of the end zone.

And there is where the lack of big or dynamic receivers shows as defenses have put the onus of the offense to be aggressive with players who don't satisfy.

Hopefully, the offense also is able to score on mid-range and long touchdown passes from that distance.

Otherwise, we'll have nothing but a bunch of field goals at the end of a lot of 10 play drives.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 10, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Smith was too much of a coward to challenge Randle El on his study habits last year even though he suspected Randle El wasn't giving his all. At least Smith is admitting he didn't do his job. Now he should be fired.

Posted by: gimmedat | August 10, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 10, 2010 10:24 AM

Well, that didn't last long...

-- 9:40 a.m. ET

Brown Out, Heyer In

Jammal Brown was limited in practice as he recovers from hip soreness, so Stephon Heyer took the bulk of reps with the first team at right tackle.

Heyer did well on a series of plays during 11-on-11 work.

He had a great block on Andre Carter, pushing him to the outside of Donovan McNabb in the pocket. McNabb had time to throw to Brandon Banks along the left sideline for a 20-yard gain.

One play later, Heyer picked up a blitz on LaRon Landry, allowing McNabb to get the ball to Devin Thomas across the middle.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 10, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I remember Deion Sanders giving 100% lots of times. Especially on tackling.

Wait. Wait, 100% is a lot of percent isn't it? I guess that's not what I meant.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 10, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gimmedat | August 10, 2010 10:43 AM

"Here's more from Mitchell ...
On Randle El and why he wasn't effective:"

Brian Mitchell said those things about Randle El not Smith.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 10, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

For some reason, when I read the Danny Smith quote where he kept talking about the need to retaliate, I kept hearing it like Deniro as Al Capone in The Untouchables: "A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiasms. Enthusiasms."

Posted by: freakzilla | August 10, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

gimmedat

"Good stuff. Was that the actual catch or does it include yards after catch?"

The stat in NFL.com that I cited to refute the claim that McNabb is not an able deep ball thrower doesn't stipulate if the 17 passes over 40 yards were YAC or where the ball was caught.

Nevertheless, it's an impressive stat about McNabb made even more so when a review of his yards of average completion-8.0-still places him in upper quarterback group in the league.

Too, whereas we all know that D Mac will toss the occasion cut-fastball into the dirt, his obvious ability to get completions upfield should open up the running game, and provide more all-around offense.

Look for guys like Austin, Moss, and Thomas getting the kind of long completions D Jackson caught on the regular in Philly, folks.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 10, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Not crazy about Moss returning considering he's our only WR that's worth a darn (so far). Thomas looked ok on KR's Hopefully someone like Austin or one of the DB's can handle PR duty.

Posted by: skinswest | August 10, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gimmesummoe

Moe, I think most of DMcNabb's big plays were short to medium balls that DeSean Jackson extended after the catch.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 10, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

GD - cosign!

I thought I was the only guy who couldn't stand Smith. That guy is constantly rubbing me the wrong way.

I don't like the way he calls a game. I don't like the way his receivers perform or practice.

And his "Hey Spike!" routine (think Looney toons) is WAY tired.

I'm actually quite surprised to see he's lasted into yet another administration on this team.

This could be more evidence that the Leopard is unable to change his spots.

This sucks, but I was actually more pumped for last season than this one. Hey, hopin' I'm wrong.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 10, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

McNabb has always been a deep passer. It's his short and intermediate routes that he struggles with consistency. This has been true since he came in the league.

McNabb + Shanahan + a healthy Santana Moss = 2005 effectiveness resurfacing.

More than anyone else, Santana Moss will reap the benefit of playing with McNabb.

Posted by: psps23 | August 10, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Danny Smith: my most unfavorite Redskins coach. If ARE was dialing it in last season it was Danny's job to get someone else in there. I mean, WTF, he had Thomas, Hall - even Cartwirght to return punts and he just stuck with ARE. That kind of negligence gets people fired in my world.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 10, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 10, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Very true.

Did I read that Heyer was blocking well?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 10, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Interesting note on Fred Davis from redskins.com:

Zany drills have been sort of few and far between this training camp. Gone are the slip-and-slides, the dodgeball drills, the thrown pads of the last two years. This is probably a good thing, as there seemed to be no precise correlation between the zaniness of the drills and the team's success on the field. Still, it was kind of nice to see something a little wacky today, specifically tight end Fred Davis kneeling on the field and catching lob passes from tight ends coach Jon Embree.

"Just working on some over-the-head catches," he explained, "something we really don't see too much as tight ends. The receivers see a lot of those balls, though."

With the receiver position shaping up as one of the least settled this training camp, I asked Davis if there was any significance to him working on a skill that's usually wideout-specific, but he downplayed any hint of drama.

"That's what I'm trying to do, man: be an all-around player so I can be out there with them too," he said. "Whatever it takes to be on the field."

Head coach Mike Shanahan paid Davis a compliment during one of his post-practice press briefings last week, calling him "a good fit for any system" and noting that Davis is "a great athlete. He can block, he can catch." Anyone who has been watching Davis develop over the last two years already knew that, but it was the last part of Shanahan's compliment that might've raised some eyebrows. "He's been working extremely hard since I've been here," Shanahan said, "and has a big upside."

Here, though, is further photographic and anecdotal evidence that Shanahan was right and Davis is not only working hard IN practice, but picking up extra work and even enjoying it.

"It's hard to be perfect with those catches, keep those high hands with a DB on you, so that's what I was working on here, trying to get 'em perfect," Davis said. "It's fun. It was cool. It's always good to get in extra work."

Posted by: frediefritz | August 10, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Can I just say how excited and refreshed I am to see 2 others returning kicks and punts other than Rock Cartwright and Antwan Randel El.

Posted by: FedorEm | August 10, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Excerpts from an article on how Kolb is going to improve the Eagles' YAC numbers.

"In fairness to McNabb, it should be pointed out that the Eagles were a pretty good yards-after-the-catch team last year when he was the quarterback. They finished eighth in the league in yards after the catch. Almost half of their passing yards - 2,151 of 4,380, or 49.1 percent - came after the catch.

Brent Celek, who had a team-high 76 receptions, finished third among the league's tight ends in yards after the catch, with 447 (of 971 receiving yards). The only tight ends with more YAC were the Colts' Dallas Clark (526) and the Chargers' Antonio Gates (520). Only Gates averaged more YAC per reception than Celek (6.6 to 5.9).

DeSean Jackson, who had six touchdown catches of 48 yards or more last season, finished 24th overall and 10th among wide receivers in yards after the catch, with 420 (of 1,156 receiving yards). But his YAC percentage (.363) was considerably lower than many of the wideouts above him, including the Patriots' Wes Welker (.544), the Giants' Hakeem Nicks (.535), the Broncos' Brandon Marshall (.470), the Cowboys' Miles Austin (.464) and the Packers' Greg Jennings (.434).

Maclin finished 68th overall in YAC (266 of 762 receiving yards). Slot receiver Jason Avant was 91st (215 of 587)."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20100512_Paul_Domowitch__Yards_after_catch_will_be_big_part_of_Eagles__offense_with_Kolb.html#ixzz0wDTglbKx
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 10, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

nice to see I'm in good company.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 10, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

learnedhand

"I think most of DMcNabb's big plays were short to medium balls that DeSean Jackson extended after the catch."

Not to argue, but the NFL.com stats show that Jackson caught 38 balls over 20 yards out of the 62 overall catches he had.

In other words, more than half of what he caught was a plus 20 yard catch--that means he had a guy in McNabb throwing the rock who could get it to him from mid-range to deep.

I wonder if D Jackson looked at his numbers like this before throwing D Mac under the bus after last Spring's trade.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 10, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Of all the roster moves, perhaps Rock was the most difficult to understand. That kind of kickoff return production is a big factor on field position. And he was a resonable back up running back. I can't recall if he played on other special teams or not. We'll have to see as the season progresses how his replacement fares.

Posted by: Skin4Life1 | August 10, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

HE OVERSLEPT 3 YEARS AGO....what part of that doesn't shanny get?? He should STILL be running gassers because of this.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 10, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why people are already acting like Kolb is better than McNabb.

He had 2 good games. 1 was against the Chiefs.

I can't wait for the Skins D to maul this kid.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 10, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skin4Life1 | August 10, 2010 11:19 AM
-------------------------------------------
Know what you mean, but Cartwright kind of got a little 'tude there at the end that soured me on him. Cartwright was the "nothing fancy" returner type who would always get you average return yards but never break one long. I think coaches are looking for that homerun hitter at returns and Cartwright was just not that kind of returner. I am sure he will be productive with the Raiders. I just hope whomever replaces him comes out looking better. Friday night we will get a few looks at kickoff returns and I wonder who gets the first shot...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 10, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Posted by: learnedhand1

------------

I think these stats show McNabb's deep ball skills. Jackson was #1 in the NFL in TD receptions of 40 yards or more, but only 24th in the NFL in YAC (10th for receivers). His YAC percentage is considerably lower than the guys around him, which means his average reception was made much higher up the field.

From the article you posted:

"The Eagles likely will become a more traditional West Coast offense this season, heavier on short and intermediate routes like slants and curls and crosses that will give receivers more yards-after-the-catch opportunities than the deeper patterns the Eagles used when McNabb was behind center. Doesn't mean they won't throw the ball deep. Just means they probably won't throw it deep nearly as much."

It should be interesting this year. I'm looking forward to a more dynamic, quick-strike offense this year.

Posted by: psps23 | August 10, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 10, 2010 11:24 AM
------------------------------------------
Yeah, don't forget - according to Zorn - it took one and a half seasons for Fred Davis to absorb all of Zorn's playbook; however, the guy has gotten Shanny's playbook down after just a couple of months... Hmmmm...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 10, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

LOOKEE what I found in the LA TIMES

" Jason Campbell brings something new to the Raiders — hope"

Gee, whattaya know, with actual blocking, it just may be that he doesn't suck so much.

Posted by: TheCork | August 10, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 10, 2010 11:34 AM

That's why I posted it. It showed that Moe was right. I don't have a problem admitting when I'm wrong considering how rarely it happens. :)

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 10, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Nope Cork, JC still sucks.

I still hate him.

He can go suck an egg.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 10, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Cork - the first paragraph is about an INTERCEPTION!

lmao. damning with faint praise, perhaps?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 10, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Did I read that Heyer was blocking well?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 10, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse
Yes, not only that, but Los has ANOTHER interception.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 10, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 10, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse
Yes, not only that, but Los has ANOTHER interception.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 10, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Are we in the Twilight Zone?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 10, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is going into a nearly identical situation in OAK. Cable, is a mediocre HC. The WRs are completely unproven, the TE is good and the RBs are OK. The OL is a mess and one of the worst in football.

Sounds very very similar to what Campbell had in DC. So I'd expect similar results.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Well played, LH, well played.

Posted by: psps23 | August 10, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Take a whiff of this, you bonehead dummies.

NOBODY is thought to have a better chance than us to WIN IT ALL!

Conversely, y'all need several reverends AND their mamas to pray for y'all just for y'all to have a chance of so much as sniffing the parking area of Cowboys Stadium outside of the regular season. With that cast-off QB and no receivers to speak of, that's literally all you'll do - smell the asphalt. Jackson made McNabb look halfway decent last year. Moss is no Jackson! On that, we ALL agree.

Y'all better be glad I'm in a real good mood today or I'd rip y'all to shreds for those unkind comments you made about me on the other thread. I'm a peaceful man so I won't go there, you odoriferous, slack-jawed punks.

Alright, ladies, I've done my good deed for the day (educating the less fortunate (you Deadskins fans)). So I feel I can go back to my Cowboys Insider blog (sure does have a nice ring to it, don't it?) where I belong, and can smell the fresh air that comes with having a winning team. I can't IMAGINE how you certified idiots spend a whole day in this putrid atmosphere talkin' up a certified 4-12 team. If you were talkin' 'em down, I could understand that. To each his own.

My goodness, this DI board should come stocked with carbon-filter gas masks. P.U.!

HTTD!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 10, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

LOOKEE what I found in the LA TIMES

" Jason Campbell brings something new to the Raiders — hope"

Posted by: TheCork | August 10, 2010 11:35 AM
-----------------------------------------
Well, I don't think he is going to get actual blocking with the Raiders. Their offensive line doesn't look so hot either, and not sure they have much more to offer as far as receivers. I hope Campbell does well, but he's swimming upstream with that dysfunctional organization.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 10, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 10, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Excellent point about Randel El being the #2 receiver and not being able to focus on returns.

Make it a primary responsibility for someone, give that person tons of reps and experience and perparation.

Buchanon, or Tryon (listed 3rd on depth chart) or Austin perhaps assuming either makes it through preseason.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 10, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

A few points for MrIrvin88:

Using your "evidence" [which is not even the Danny Sheridan OFFICIAL Vegas odds, which have been used as the standard every year for over the last 30 years...]:

-FIVE other teams have the same odds to win it all [BAL, GB, NO, NYJ, SD] as your team...

-A Redskins team who went 4-12 last season is only slightly less likey than your team to win it all...

A historical note for you...the New Orleans Saints were coming off a losing season, and 35 to 1 going into the 2009 campaign...while your beloved team was 10 to 1...how'd THAT work out for the cowpokes?

All that being said...Since you are SO confident in your cowgirls, how's about a friendly little bet?

I have five VERY crispy Ben Franklins that I am more than willing to place a wager with.

You get your "sure thing" Cowboys... I get the field.

I'll even be a sport...if any of the teams at equal odds to your beloved cowboys [BAL, GB, NO, NYJ, or SD] win, it's a push, and we each just get our respective Benjamins back.

You name the time and place, we go to a notary, all 3 open one bank account place ALL the money in it with the notary as the custodian. Winner gets paid, loser well...you'll just have to deal with it while I spend my winnings.

Otherwise this "sure thing" nonsense is just as much BS as is actual male cow manure.

Don't sing it, bring it. Put up or shut up, dog.

I anxiously await your reply [or...Your move, Spunky.]