Danny Smith: Graham Gano "a great young prospect"

Special teams coach Danny Smith was his usual animated self after practice Wednesday and had some complimentary words about Graham Gano, the only kicker in camp. But Smith made clear that even though Gano is the lone kicker in camp, he's not necessarily assured of the job five weeks from now.

Smith says he encounters a lot of young kickers with strong legs but scant appreciation for how to tackle the little things, from directional kicks to onside kicks. Compared to other young kickers, Gano "stacks up good," Smith said.

"I think he's going to be a good player. I really do. I feel good about him because I know him a little bit in game situations, having been in four games with him, practicing with him," Smith said. "We're a little bit ahead as a true rookie kind of guy. ...I think he's a great young prospect. "

Smith says a lot of young kickers will come in and won't have any clue how to perform an onside sick. Asked if Gano had an onside kick, Smith joked: "He did. I didn't like it, though."

With no NFL experience, Gano was signed as a free agent last December and was the Redskins' kicker for the final four games. He was 4-for-4 on field goals and 6-of-7 on extra points. Gano kicked field goals at practice Wednesday morning and was 11-of-13, missing a couple of 50-plus yarders. He also had to adjust to some poor snaps, which has become cause for concern.

Though Gano looks OK right now, coaches will be taking a closer look in the preseason games.

"The competition is there all the time," he said. "We could call a group of kickers and I could work out five of them at 3 o'clock today. I don't threaten the guys with that. They know that. Grahama Gano, surely, at four games in the National Football League, doesn't think he has this team made and he's the guru and all that kind of stuff."

Last year, the Redskins carried two kickers throughout training camp. Smith said he likes the idea of having only one. Roster spots are valuable and there are other positions on special teams besides kicker.

"If you think about it, with an 80-man roster, if we took another long-snapper, we took another kicker, we took another punter, that's one less running back or one less wide," he said. "We're all in it together. But they're the guys that are covering those kicks in the preseason. So I need them as bad the DB coach needs them. I need them as bad as the receiver coach needs them. Because at the end of the day, they're the guys covering kicks. And I'd much rather have him doing that than have two kickers and one's sitting over there jacking around and I'm trying to find a gunner for the next punt."

By RIck Maese  |  August 4, 2010; 1:45 PM ET
Categories:  Special teams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins in no rush to fill 80th roster spot
Next: Jammal Brown misses practice with hip strain

Comments

Why didn't you ask him about the LS? Scamp is in a panic!!!! Get a new LS right now!!!!

Posted by: beep-beep | August 4, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Are you telling me the Redskins may finally have some stability at kicker?

I like Gano as kicker because he can put the ball inside the 10 yard line -- which I haven't seen since... since... since...

Ever.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Good News..

Nice to have a FG kicker with some leg strength. The last few have only had distance out to 48 yds and KOs barely made it to the 10.

The only problem with Heyer is who's behind him. He has starting exp and I cant imagine Clint challenging for his spot.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 4, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"They know that. Grahama Gano, surely, at four games in the National Football League, doesn't think he has this team made and he's the guru and all that kind of stuff."

Grahama Gano = Grandma Gano with a southern drawl? maybe b'more accent?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 4, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Wake me up when we're off kickers.

Can Albert Shuttleworth kick a ball?

Would love to see him chugging down field as a wedge breaker.

Of course, by the time he got to the wedge, the returner would have scored, played 5 more years and been inducted into the HOF 5 years after that.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking for goods things out of Gano this year. His technique is solid and his kick-offs look very strong. That will be a nice change for the Skins.

We ABSOLUTELY have to nail down the long snapper situation. We've been spoiled with the Red Snapper for so long we may have forgotten how important that is. Two bad snaps could cost two games.

Perhaps we could use the 80th roster spot and bring back Albright? Why take a chance here?

Posted by: edvar | August 4, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Grahama Gano = Grandma Gano with a southern drawl? maybe b'more accent?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 4, 2010 2:00 PM

I noticed that too and was like, "Oh, we got Larry Johnson kicking for us now?"

At least we can refer to him as "Guano" once he starts to kick like sh*t.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Nice...gonna pick this kid as my fantasy kicker...my lone redskin...as soon as Ethan comes back.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 4, 2010 1:17 PM |

Only towards you faggboy. THAT'S all that's been proven. Aside from your mother stalking me.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 1:29 PM

It's funny I am the 'faggboy'...but you the only one chasing my a$$...So, who is the real fag, boy?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 4, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | August 4, 2010 2:05 PM

Turk brothers anyone?

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

**Disclaimer**

Danny Smith also urged the FO to draft Durrant Brooks.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 4, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 4, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 4, 2010 2:14 PM

I think the difference is that the rest of us flush afterward but you seem to smear it all over yourself.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 4, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 4, 2010 2:14 PM

Funny you said that...I just pooped a few mintutes ago.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"I Poop. You Poop. Everybody Poops."

And I hear Haynesworth poops between runs.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 4, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 4, 2010 2:14 PM |

Everyone save for IH8Dallas. His feats of bowel control are beyond reproach.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 4, 2010 2:14 PM |

Everyone save for IH8Dallas. His feats of bowel control are beyond reproach.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 4, 2010 2:24 PM

This thread has gone down the sh!tter...

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

to quote brownwood:

"Damn, is this thing on?"

catch you cows later.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 4, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

This thread has gone down the sh!tter...

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, in defense of the RI bloggers, it really has been sort of hard to focus on much of anything else since Colt was cut.

Who, pray tell, will now start the second half of exhibition game 3?

Posted by: Vic1 | August 4, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

4th, you need to tell your big brother or uncle that shooting baby gravy on women in the grocery store is not only STOOPID, but it's just not cool.

At least not from a plastic bottle anyway.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Danny Smith wouldn't know a good kicker if one kicked him between the uprights. Seriously, when was the last great kicker this team had? Lohmiller?

I guess Hall put up good numbers when he was healthy, but still... Danny Smith should have been fired for not putting a sideline shock collar on on ARE.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 4, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Me thinks RT may be an issue. From redskins.com

Brown Has MRI

Mike Shanahan said he held right tackle Jammal Brown out of practice on Wednesday morning after the veteran right tackle experienced some soreness in his surgically repaired hip earlier this week.

Brown underwent an MRI on the hip on Tuesday and the results were positive.

"We check everything out, and we gave him an MRI just to make sure," Mike Shanahan said. "And he’s fine. Doctors say that’s typical. After a guy has been injured, he is going to be a little sore.

"He wanted to practice and I just thought it was best to give him some rest. He’ll be out there [on Thursday] ready to go. Hopefully there won’t be a setback."

Brown missed all of the 2009 season with the New Orleans Saints due to the hip injury.

Posted by: TWISI | August 4, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

**Disclaimer**

Danny Smith also urged the FO to draft Durrant Brooks.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 4, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

And we took him in the sixth round at that!!!

Posted by: Stu27 | August 4, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

This thread has gone down the sh!tter...

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Who, pray tell, will now start the second half of exhibition game 3?

Posted by: Vic1 | August 4, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Brown underwent an MRI on the hip on Tuesday and the results were positive.

Posted by: TWISI | August 4, 2010 2:35 PM

Isn't positive bad? This always trips me up.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 4, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | August 4, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Gano is a keeper. Danny Smith, however, is not. I know, I know - his coverage teams are routinely very good. Punt returns have been a sore spot for awhile, though and it was his job to straighten them out. If you're going to coach special teams, you've got to excel at every aspect of special teams. I long for the days when we had Brian Mitchell returning kicks and punts, Monte Coleman as a special teams ace, and Wayne Sevier coaching them up. Those were some great special teams.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 4, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell comes out plays the third preseason game like it's bullsh*t? Bullsh*t!

We played three quarters everybody played three quarters! THE BEARS....

Posted by: RedDMV | August 4, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse