Speedy Banks hoping to run his way onto the roster

The whole thing still irks Brandon Banks.

Banks, a rookie wide receiver-returner, was determined to break running back Chris Johnson's NFL scouting combine record of 4.24 seconds in the 40-yard dash. But the former Kansas State standout suffered a hamstring injury while training for the timed test "and ran only a [4.43]," Banks said the other day. "So everybody thinks I'm only a 4.4 guy. But I ran a 4.24 in college. That was my fastest one."

Banks displayed his speed while scoring on a 77-yard punt return in the third quarter of the 42-17 victory over the Buffalo Bills. After the game, Coach Mike Shanahan said Banks's big play was not surprising because the undrafted free agent has shined as a wide receiver during practice.

"The guys in front of me all did their jobs, all I had to do was run," Banks said of his big play against the Bills. "My job wasn't hard at all."

In the Redskins' media guide, the diminutive Banks is listed at 5-feet-7, 155 pounds. At the combine, Banks was officially measured at 5-6 ¾ and 149 pounds.

Phillip Buchanon still is listed as the No. 1 punt returner on the depth chart released Monday in advance of the upcoming game against the Baltimore Ravens at FedEx Field. Banks, however, definitely is in the mix for the key role, people familiar with the situation say.

"I've still got a lot of work to do, but I think I have a floor to stand on and build from," Banks said. "Now, I'll just go from there."

By Jason Reid  |  August 17, 2010; 9:45 AM ET
Categories:  Special teams , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wide receiver situation might be more settled than it seems
Next: Johnson ready to take his turn in backfield

Comments

Repost:

Pep5,

I don't think they're focusing on the future right now. It's a win now they're gunning for.

I think they want to put a decent showing in for a couple years and then they'll focus on building.

I think they're priming Kurt & us for each other. Not what I was hoping for, but I'll play along. U?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

So far, compared to what we've seen in the past punt return game, in my eyes, he plays like he's 6' 3". Dude is all heart, give him a shot.

Posted by: clark202 | August 17, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Repost:

@dallasinthedmv

Honest and true stats about McNabb vs. Cowboys, dmv, but you're aiding and abetting the enemy. Let 'em stay blissfully ignorant and all 'hopeful'. LMAO!!!

@Cadaver Fans

Washington is the only place where there is a true and honest market for old wide receivers with bad wheels. The Cowboys let Galloway go six years ago because he was washed up and here the Cadavers are STARTING him! In 2010. LMAO!!

Galloway is clearly the reason it smells like an old folks home on this Deadskins Insider board. Stay tuned for the upcoming thread on the next big WR signing - Raymond Berry!!

Y'all Deadskins fans are funny!

Hell
To
The
Deadskins!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 17, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

This is the kind of player Jim Popp finds.
I don't know if Jim was with the Skins when they found this guy but dig out players others overlook.

Posted by: bundy44 | August 17, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 17, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

roy williams.....enough said

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

How many touchdowns this season, Irving?

Sukkard.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I hope Banks makes it. We need explosiveness in the return game, we've needed it for years, let him be the full-time returner in both PR and KR.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 17, 2010 9:51 AM

This might come as a surprise to you CrackHead88 but the ball doesn't know how old you are when you cross the goal line.

Don't you realize Dez Bryant is younger but hurt? Put that in your crack pipe and smoke it.

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | August 17, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Sorry bout the off topic comment...but anyone see the quick graphic Friday night comparing Portis and the Denver RBs since the trade? I have no clue what that was trying to show...even paused it for a while...was about 8 brews deep by then though

Posted by: PlayAction | August 17, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Banks needs to be the #1 returner during the preseason, he needs to get as many attempts as possible.

If he can get through the preseason maintaining productivity and stay HEALTHY with a heavy workload then obvious, he provides a major spark. After playing teams like Bal and the Jets, teams with quality special teams players we will know if he can handle the task.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 17, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

@MrIrvin88

Still using a vibrator ?

Posted by: hessone | August 17, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

lmao@hess

I'm still a little perplexed how geezers are starters, though.

I think it might be to get the younguns challenged to perform. Hey, whatever works.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Three WR's capable of putting up 50+ catches?

How about:
Moss: 70 recptions for 902 yards last year. Never had less than 55 cathes per year as a Redskin.

Roydell Williams: 55 receptions for 719 yards in his last season in Tenn. By all accounts he has returned to his pre-injury form, has impressed in practice, and played well on Friday.

Thomas: If he has the breakout year that most of us are expecting, I don't think 50+ receptions is a stretch.

Plus we should get good production from our TE's

Cooley: Last year in only 7 games he had 29 recptions for 332 yards. Other than last year and his rookie year he has never had less than 57 catches.

Davis: Last year 48 recptions for 509 yards. Most of that in half a season because he didn't see much playing time until Cooley went down.

IMO, we should be fine at WR/TE. Especially if any of the guys I didn't mention turn out any kind of production at all.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 17, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Yes I hate the cowboys and was brainwashed by George Allen and almost everyone in town to do so as a little kid. I don't just hate the team, I dislike a ton of the players and only respect a few.

Despise: Hollywood Henderson (it all starts with him), Michael Downs, Deion (even as a skin), Duane Thomas, Irvin, Romo, Danny White, Aikman, both Newhouses, H. Martin & Pugh, Haley,

Respect: Staubach, Everson Walls (a UFA), Randy White (former Terp), Emmitt, Drew Pearson (if only b/c he borke all Joe T's HS QB records), Too Tall,

Please feel free to add to the despise list.

I actually DISLIKE the Eagles as much as I hate the Cowboys; however they've never won so they are not worthy of being despised, despite their consistently dirty play.

Now for the part that will set a few of you folks off: I actually respect the Giants. I don't recall ever seeing an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty or a late hit by LT & Co. back when the Skins and Giants were vying for supremacy (25 years ago or so....). I like the way the organization is run and am THANKFUL they ruined the Pats run at a perfect season in part with an absolute BS play (against the helmet??). But yeah, I root for them to lose. But I really can't find it in me to hate them. I hate the 49ers far worse.

Oh, and the Cards never registered when they were in our division and are not really missed.

That said, MrIrvin88 & co. are welcome on the board in my book - free speech is what this country is about. And they are kinda funny - not quite as funny as Three's Company - ok they aren't really that funny.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 17, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

mrirvin: It's quite sad that the only thing you're hanging on is McNabb's stats... but and records don't lie either. Romo's playoff record = 1-3... what else you got? More stats?

Ignorant and arrogant are the words that describe you, sir. I bet you'd be afraid to say that stuff to Skins fans in real life... you just hide behind your computer and act like an a**hole. You like wasting your life away sitting at your computer thinking of ways to argue with Skins fans? That's the definition is pathetic. I bet even the Cowgirls fans on the cowgirls blog had to kick you out.

If you want to discuss and be objective on here, then I'm fine with that. But all your posts are just pointless. Try to engage in real football conversation... if you're even capable of that.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 17, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Irvin = the dude from "Happy Gilmore" that kept sayin "you WILL miss this put...JACKASS!"

ITA, people...for the love of God ITA...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

The guy is fast there is no doubt about that. He ran by guys Friday night that made them look like they were in slow motion. I don't know how durable he'll be, but it is exciting to have someone with that kind of speed on the roster. Rolling him into the receiver mix at least a couple of times each game to test the deep coverage wouldn't be a bad idea. He didn't catch a pass in the game Friday, but I don't recall seeing him in on any passing plays.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Hew,

See, that's my problem. We HAVE to hate the Gints. Hate 'em like poison.

Are you forgetting the Norval days where they were really the only thing keeping us from getting to postseason glory?

It was our lack of disdain, as an entity, a team and fanbase, that cost us those games. If a desparation existed it would have driven us to win... we just didn't care that much.

I know everyone likes to talk about how the intangibles really don't matter. But they do. And it's times like that that prove it... For an opposite example I give you Sean Taylor's block return. Both acts (the initial block and subsequent return) were of desparation, and yielded a win.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Wait, did I miss something? A couple posts ago, Reid said Roydell Williams was dropped to 4th string on the WR depth chart? So who moved up? I'm guessing Devin Thomas, but it'd be nice to see the depth chart.

Posted by: psps23 | August 17, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Hatred order for me goes Cowboys, Eagles, Giants.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2010 10:23 AM

If his play on Madden is any indication (and I know it's not), then he won't finish a season. I've already played 8 games in the 2010 season he's been injured in 3 of 'em. If he can have a career like The Human Joystick (or the original DHall), I think that would be the best case scenario for a player of his size...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Potential nightmare situation for opposing defenses: Two TE set with Cooley and Davis running underneath routes. Moss and Banks running deep routes.

If you keep the safties back to help cover Moss and Banks, Do you think you can effectively cover both Cooley and Davis with LB's?

If you bring up a safety to help in covering the TE's, which WR do you leave in single coverage?

If you bring in a nickle package to aid in the coverage, can you effectively defend the run?

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 17, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | August 17, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Hatred order for me goes Cowboys, Eagles, Giants.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 10:31 AM

Co-sign

Posted by: hessone | August 17, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Lets be honest the WR depth chart reads (in no particular order)

Moss
Cooley
Davis

Posted by: chrislarry | August 17, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2010 10:23 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 10:32 AM
-------------------------------------------
Yep, durability is a worry. I forget which corner it was - I think it was Rogers - but they said he tried to squirm away and the guy just picked him up. An opposing team's corner might pick him up and chuck him into the stands...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Hatred order for me goes Cowboys, Eagles, Giants.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 10:31 AM

Co-sign

Posted by: hessone | August 17, 2010 10:35 AM

Hmmm, I hate the 'Ginas more than Philly. Although they are very close.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 17, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@dikshuttle
Off topic.

@hessone
Yes. Your wife loves it!!

@zjfr2
Roy Williams is NOT old. So I think you do have to say more.

@rachel216
Don't get the vapors and get all hysterical. Here's a 'stat' to add to McNabb being 0-3 against the Cowboys last year and looking like the organic waste you scrape off the bottom of your shoe in a dog park:
America's Team - 10:1 Super Bowl XLV Favorites.

@HughGRection (lol!),
You're far too rational for this bunch.

@Deadskins General Public
Banks is 5'6", 140 lbs, reportedly very elusive. That's all fine and dandy. Until he gets hit. The Cowboys'll take care of that!

Deadskins Motto: Send us your old, your tiny, your huddled rejects!

Peace, Y'all.

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 17, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Hatred order for me goes Cowboys, Eagles, Giants.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 10:31 AM

Co-sign

Posted by: hessone | August 17, 2010 10:35 AM

If hatred can be defined as the team that I would like to see very bad things happen to...I think that changes from time to time with me...would say the last 5 to 10 years...that would be the Patriots...then Dallas Giants Eagles

Posted by: PlayAction | August 17, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Sadly small guys like that can't put on weight or they start to lose speed. Remember Todd Pinkston for the Eagles, was really fast, but was so light that he should probably have not been allowed to play in the NFL.

Got older, got heavy, became useless.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@MrIrvin88

Annnnnnnnnd... we ALL hate you! (speaking for everyone)

Annnnnnnnnnd... goodbye!!

Annnnnnnnnnnnd.... never come back again, because the Skins will beat you and you'll be crying and hiding under a rock and too scared to show up here because you're a COWARD.

kthxbye.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 17, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Hatred order for me goes Cowboys, Eagles, Giants.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 10:31 AM

Co-sign

Posted by: hessone | August 17, 2010 10:35 AM

co-co-sign.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Uh oh...from twitter in the last 2 minutes:

RickMaese

Practice ended. Haynesworth didn't seem to participate in team drills. Wouldn't explain why

RickMaese

Haynesworth: "Ask the coach. I have no comment."

Posted by: chrislarry | August 17, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@MrIrvin88

Annnnnnnnnd... we ALL hate you! (speaking for everyone)

Annnnnnnnnnd... goodbye!!

kthxbye.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 17, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Pepper, go back and look at the guys Shanahan had in Denver when they were winning SBs...I don't think they had a single 1st round pick and had a couple undrafted guys. This system is very O-line and RB friendly and I think we'll be fine up front--even if it doesn't look like it on paper.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Pep5,

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for finding late-round or UFA gems. After all weren't Jacoby and Grimm UFA's? But there's no evidence any of the late round or UFA linemen standing out on this roster. So.....we're left with the scheme. I just don't think any scheme is clever enough to cover up for a lack of ability up front. Call me naive I guess.

Dik, it doesn't make sense that they would postpone rebuilding in order to have 8-8 or 9-7 seasons. If they're not rebuilding it means Shanny/Allen/Snyder want to get to the Bowl next year. I'm not on board with that nonsense because they won't make it. All ya do with that attidute is fritter away picks on disappointing free agents. Gibbs II proved that.

I'd rather build a consistent winner and let the Bowl come to me.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 17, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Uh oh...from twitter in the last 2 minutes:

RickMaese

RickMaese

Haynesworth: "Ask the coach. I have no comment."

Posted by: chrislarry | August 17, 2010 10:47 AM
----------------------------------------
Hmmmm. Are he and Shanny on the outs again or did he just get traded?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

America's Team - 10:1 Super Bowl XLV Favorites.
Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 17, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

etrod - 1:1 odds of LMAO when they lay an egg in the playoffs...again.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 17, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@MrIrvin88

Still using a vibrator ?

@hessone
Yes. Your wife loves it!!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 17, 2010 10:42 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not married you moron.

Have you thought about getting castrated so you don't have any offspring ?

Posted by: hessone | August 17, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Grimm was a thrid, Jacoby was snubbed FA.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 17, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Dude?

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

America's Team - 10:1 Super Bowl XLV Favorites.
Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 17, 2010 10:42 AM

HAHAHAHA!! MrIrvin clearly doesn't know that odds don't matter with the cowgirls. They're always favored to win the Super Bowl! Mrirvin, you can tell me how that's gone the last few years. Don't get your hopes up, you always end up disappointed, especially with Romo and his choking!!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | August 17, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

chrislarry

"Let's be honest the WR depth chart reads Moss, Cooley, and Davis"

Those guys are one reason why carrying four young guys--Banks, Thomas, Armstrong, and Austin--would be a good idea with excellent long term consequences.

If three out of those four guys become keepers, they'll justify their roster space.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 17, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

10:1 Super Bowl XLV Favorites.
Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 17, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

etrod - 1:1 odds of LMAO when they lay an egg in the playoffs...again.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 17, 2010 10:57 AM

Those odds look familiar? Oh that's right...those were the odds last year...and the year before...and the year before that...Vegas loves taking money from Texas.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 17, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@zjfr2
Roy Williams is NOT old. So I think you do have to say more.

he may not be old but riddle me this....was he worth two #1 picks? Would you take him over Galloway right now? If your answer to either of those is yes that says more about you then I need to.....

CL - totally agree, our pass catchers this year are Moss, Cooley, Davis, and a motley crew. But I'll be honest, I read Galloway still clocked a 4.4 in the 40 during camp and you put anybody opposite Moss with speed to just run fly patterns and they'll get their chances. Moss is going to do a lot more crossing routes this year according to kshanny, you have him, davis, cooley working the mid range stuff coupled with our running game, whoever is running the fly pattern will see single coverage all game long. Much to the cowgirl fans dismay, we have a legit coach, a legit oc, a legit qb, a legit oline, and a legit scheme for the first time in a decade.....unfortunately for them Dan Snyder finally woke up and got out of the way and those of us who stuck it out through the nightmare ride finally will have a team worth rooting for. I'm not booking super bowl tickets or any of that crap, and I still say with our schedule anything 8 wins or better is a GREAT year, but I know finally we'll be competent on Sundays, play legit pro football and can compete with anybody.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

If Shanny plays Banks he is opening the team up to a wrongful death lawsuit. The guy is going to get killed out there. 5'6" and 150lbs is tiny. Dante Hall was an inch taller and 37lbs heavier.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 17, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Scarecrow [MrIrvin88] !

TDs/yr: R. Williams/J Galloway

2005 8/10

2006 7/7

2007 5/6

2008 2 [1Dal/1DET]/0

2009 1/0

Total 23/23

Hmmm, looks like the EXACT same number of TDs in the last few years, only NO draft picks were harmed in the making of the acquisition of Joey Galloway by Washington.

Can Dallas say that about one Mr. williams?

Not so much pahd-ner.

Saddle up, Buttermilk...Happy Trails!

Posted by: ThinkingMan | August 17, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Dez Bryant comes to the cowboys as a slow, injury-prone, dim-witted, dis-respectful pri-madonna and Cowtart fans eyes get all big and they start pitching tents. What did they do to fix their HORRIBLE pass defense and pass protection? Keep spraying annointing oil all over yorselves, and we'll see you Sunday Night!

Posted by: wewbank1 | August 17, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 17, 2010 11:04 AM

Ummmmm...I think he's played football before.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 17, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

DikShuttle -

I agree that losses to the Giants have cost us dearly over the years - the 1986 windbowl championship game and the f*cking tie in the 90s stand out. But tell me you weren't rooting for them to somehow someway stop the Pats undefeated machine - certainly one of the few instances where I think Redskins fans were rooting for them en masse. I like the way the organization is run, although I can't claim to be a fan of their coaching staff or many of their players per se. I just don't hold them in the same realm of dislike as I do the Cowboys or Eagles.

As for MrIrvin88, I have to admit you are providing a foil for the entire board to lash out at, and you seem to be relishing it. And no, I really do not expect you to show up on this board and take your lumps when the Skins manage to eke out a victory over your beloved team in a few weeks. However I suspect that we'll see you dishing it out until that point.

Which brings up a serious question: How come there are so many Cowboys fans in DC? I grew up in this town and there were always a fair number of vocal Cowboys fans dishing out abuse in any season we did not win a Superbowl. Yes it was at its worst in the early 90s, but I'm going back to the 70s and 80s. The caveat to this is I clearly recall many lifelong Cowboys fans becoming "Doug Williams fans" in 1987-88 sometime AFTER DG hurdled his way to the punt return TD against the Bears...and a few with 2 minutes left to go in the second quarter of SB XXII.

I think there are a fair numnber of native DC folks who are Cowboy fans just to get under the skin of all of the Skins fans that surround them. Maybe because its a socially acceptable means of being obnoxious to those around them.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 17, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

psps23:

Posted by: rachel216 | August 17, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

---------

Thanks Rachel.

Interesting to see Bobby Wade move up. Dude looks to me like a poor man's Antwaan Randle El. Minimal upside, albeit a solid worker out of the slot. I wouldn't like to see him on the final 53.

The more I think about it, the more I want the depth chart to look like this:

Moss
Galloway/Williams
Thomas
Armstrong
Austin
Banks

Posted by: psps23 | August 17, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@(BigFatStupid)Irving(the142ndFastestGun...InTheWest)

How is Dallas sucking "off topic". This is a Redskin's blog - the two topics are 1) Redskins Z) Dallas Sucks.

Hey, you live it - get used to it.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Pep5,

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather build a consistent winner and let the Bowl come to me.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 17, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

They are doing both.

They got McNabb to win now, and be the guy for the next 3-5 years. They just drafted a cornerstone left tackle, they traded for a bookend tackle that could/should have 3-5 years left easily (Brown is only 29). They drafted two more young lineman to groom in Cook and Capers. They have two young backs in Torain and Williams that show promise and have time to develop behind either CP or Johnson (who got a 3 year deal btw...imo CP starts the year Johnson finishes and is the back for the next two years). They have a secondary that has nobody near retirement age. They drafted Riley to groom as a Fletcher replacement....

Thanks to Vinny they couldn't do it all in one offseason. Next year add a young QB to groom, get more WR help if these young bucs struggle, get young LBs, begin to bring in younger Dline (although Albert, Jarmon, Carricker, Gholston, and even Kemo as NT can last long when they are just being space eaters so most all have plenty of tread on the tires), and look at the RB situation. We have pros in charge folks....they can win now and rebuild, it doesn't have to be either or.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

People, quit indulging these Cowdung fans...I mean REALLY...I know the temptation to set these clowns straight but they're INSANE! And they're making you insane by continually engaging them over and over again and expecting them to arrive to another conclusion other than the foolishness they pass off as fact. MOVE ON!! THEY'RE TURNING OUR TURF INTO A COWDUNGS BLOG!!!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hatred order for me goes Cowboys, Eagles, Giants.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 10:31 AM

Co-sign

Posted by: hessone | August 17, 2010 10:35 AM

co-co-sign.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 10:47 AM

Tri-co-sign

Must add the Raiders to the mix, though. Don't like the team, the owner, or the fans! The fans are about as ignorant and arrogant as the Cowpatties'.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | August 17, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Pepper5 -

Jacoby = UFA
Grimm = 3rd round

Trying to recall which UFA came into the league with the Redskins; we had a few UFA who were released by other teams after being drafted who were stalwarts - Bostic for instance. The SB XVII and XVIII teams had a ton of released players on the roster. I recall both teams were the youngest in the league when they won, but most of their older players were starters - Moseley, Thiesman, Riggins, Butz, Starke, & Murphy.

From one of the posts above, clearly management continues to take "The Future is Now" approach which is the approach that has been taken since Snyder bought the team and which leaves us as one of the oldest teams in the league.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 17, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HughGRection | August 17, 2010 11:12 AM

Thank goodness the Redskins were what they were in the 80s when I was growing up...family didn't really follow football...if they stunk back then...I could be a (gulp)Cowboys fan right now.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 17, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I heard yesterday that the Cowpatties' Columbo is going to miss game 1 on 9/12. Better get Romo a flak jacket. Haney has one less dude to worry about now.

Dallas is signing players that didn't even play last year (Dez Nutz) and ignoring their O-Line. Even die-hard Cowgirls fans admit that.

Hey Tony Homo, Whatcha gonna doooooooo, when Fat Albert lands on youuuuuuuuuu????

Flozelle? Gone. Columbo? Out for at least the opener.

Who's next to drop off that line? That's a legit question to the Blue Star Ointment fans.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 17, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@hessone

I should have known you weren't married. Those same-sex deals are still illegal or downright iffy in most of America. Don't lose hope, hesszero. I personally couldn't care less what two or more consenting adults do in the privacy of their trailer home.

@rachel

We weren't SB favorites last year. This year we are. Get your facts right and memorize that Deadskins Motto leaked from one of Tranahan's interoffice memos. You'll recognize it when the season starts. I'll repost the DM here for your convenience:

Send us your old, your tiny, your huddled rejects!

And I GUARANTEE YOU I'LL BE HERE ON THE DEADSKINS INSIDER BOARD SEPTEMBER 13 win, lose or draw (quick, somebody explain overtime rules to McNabb!).

Gotta go. Got some 'bidness' to take of.

Sing with me now:
Hell...To The...Deadskins!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 17, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mikey, stare directly at this swinging watch and repeat after me...

BANKS
MUST
TOUCH
BALL
VERY
MANY
TIMES

Posted by: kone | August 17, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, Jack.

I wouldn't do it myself - it's pretty ambitious. But I see the direction. Hopefully it pays off.

I would love to see CPo, Cooley & Moss get some real success before they're done.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

C'mon people,
Ignore these Cowpukes trolls. They are pathetic, insecure losers who have to hide behind the annonimity of a blog. If they had any real balls, they would go into a bar full of Redskins fans and spew their nonsense. Instead they cower behind their keyboards and talk big in order to try to feel good about themselves and their team, who are always predicted to be SB contenders but consistently choke when the pressure is on. These guys are so stupid that they were probably driven off the Cowpukes blogs for never having anything worthwhile to say, forcing them to hang out on a Redskins blog to get any attention at all. People who respond to their posts are the only thing that lifts their egos high enough to prevent them from sticking a gun in their mouths. Ignore them and let them go back to their mommie's basement to be coddled.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 17, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Moss
Davis
Cooley

Posted by: chrislarry | August 17, 2010 10:38 AM

Fixed it for ya. :)

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 17, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@MrIrvin88

This guy sure loves to 'LMAO'.

You gotta respect that.

I decided to take a page from his book and 'LMAO' when I watched Dallas's starting o-line.

See you on the 12th but I doubt we'll see you on the 13th.

HAIL

Posted by: Angelonourshoulders | August 17, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I was driving home in DC this weekend and while taking 14th to K St to head back to G'Town at around 2:30a.m., saw a sickly and emaciated-looking street hooker and couldn't help but wonder if that was Dez Bryant's mom.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 17, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 11:14 AM

Agreed...but we gotta stop with this "draft a young QB to groom" stuff. We gave up two picks for McNabb. Draft picks for the next 2-3 years MUST be dedicated to helping McNabb get a SB, not to back him up and hold a clip board. The Eagles made this mistake...let's not repeat it.

Like it or not, we tied our fortunes to #5. So now we ride or die with him for the next 3-5 years...worry about his replacement when he's ready to be replaced.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Irving puts the lotion in the basket... lmfao.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Why are folks indulging the trolls? As much as it may pain you to do so, for the love of all things holy, let their comments go without a response.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 17, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Civility, wherefore art thou?

Now, let's dismember Dallas accordingly.

Romo just got sacked again.

Posted by: Corvis777 | August 17, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:27 AM |

Well put Brown! I second the motion!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 17, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@MrIrvin88

Gambling odds dont mean jack when u have a subpar offensive line, no redzone offense, and an owner whose eye for talent is about as good as the morons that gave Ceasar Milan his own show. Romo will be out for the season by week 9, book it!

Posted by: skins2dadeath | August 17, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:27 AM

Wouldn't we have to re-sign him for your theory to hold? I think he walks if the team doesn't do well this year because there's not much hope that things will markedly improve given the aging roster.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 17, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather build a consistent winner and let the Bowl come to me.

Posted by: Pepper5

Pepper5. This has been my biggest disappointment with the new regime. I think Allen is a good GM and Shanny is a great coach. Did not agree with the trading for McNabb and the win now perspective. The roster is old and devoid of talent compared to the top 15 or so teams out there. The lack of draft picks in this past draft and moving forward are going to come back to bite them. I see a couple of 8-8 and 9-7 seasons before the wheels come off the bus and full rebuild begins.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 17, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I agree. No need to draft a QB in 2011, which will probably be shortened by a lockout anyway. Maybe 2012 at the earliest.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 17, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HughGRection | August 17, 2010 11:12 AM
------------

well, i suspect it's two things. some people are just contrarian. tell them the sky is blue and they'll dispute that. so, they're cowboys fans because they live in dc and the 'boys are our main/most-hated rival.

other people are just front-runner types. and let's be honest, the 'boys have been consistently pretty good since the '70s. (sure they've had down years, but not too many.) this brand of cowboys fan is probably also a lakers or celtics fan (and a bulls fan when mj was there), and a yankee fan.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 17, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 17, 2010 11:32 AM

Not really...if he walks after this year (which I REALLY doubt), we draft one of the studs available in the '11 draft and keep movin'. Get a Kyle Orton-type stopgap and hope the kid hits the ground running in 2012. But I'm convinced that McNabb is here for the long haul...it just makes too much sense.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood,

One of my favorite pasttimes is bantering with the Cowboy fans that surround me. Although, these last few years its been more of a "you guys choked in the playoffs' versus "we beat your *sses and kept you out of the playoffs." I still think we are a few years away from winning big - the o-line may improve to servicable, but is light years away from stellar or dominating. I still think we are comparing to our SB years to liberally; we should be comparing to 1981 - new coach, new system, issues at o-line and WR but a proven veteran QB (and a proven RB on the decline a la Joe Washington). I think thats more apples to apples - 2010 to 1981. They key difference is that although our o-line is still unproven, it is experienced - even with Heyer and E Williams (UFAs both) as subs if they survive final cuts. We won't win every game; I'd still be happily surprised if we made the playoffs. However, I think we beat the cowboys twice to ruin their season based on matchups and intensity. Our team has something to prove, whereas their team is talking home game SB. And I think we paste them later in the year at FedEx as our team improves and meshes. However, that is more of an opinion that Dallas is overrated and sucks to its core moreso than an endorsement of our team.

Like pepper, I prefer the building of a foundation (beyond a young LT, TE and more than a few players on defense) via youngsters. I hope that can happen concurrently with winning this season, however, given the direction the franchise has taken the last decade, I still find it hard to believe.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 17, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | August 17, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I think we all have players and teams we would add to our own lists.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't call Irving a troll. Trolls stir the pot solely for their own amusement.

We're dealing with an actual CowPatty fan here... it's hilarious, the levels of disfunction.

It's like a carwreck or a developmentally challenged person with a gun.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Twitter says Hayney cut practice short today because of heat exhaustion.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 17, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Portis has a dinged wrist also. Says it's no biggie

oh and beep...beep...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 17, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I dont see this 11'being a good year for QBs anyways, most of the great QBs are underclassmen.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 17, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I agree and disagree at the same time. Its a way different scenario here than in Philly....there, they forced themselves into a corner by drafting and paying Kolb too early and had to make a decision. Fortunately for us they did. But here McNabb is obviously the man, but also obviously not the "long-term" guy also, he and everyone else knows that. So if/when they get a young guy in it won't be the same scenario because everyone knows McNabb is a 3 to 5 year plan. IMO if we get a shot at Locker or Ponder in the draft they'll take either, and if not, they'll wait another year before addressing QB and repair other holes. We still need a major infusion of youth/talent in several units. But IMO they did a great job this offseason both making us immediately competitive and starting to find long term fixes. McNabb is part of that and I think in the next two years they'll get a legit young QB to get in here and back him up. He's not exactly an iron man anyway and sexy rexy won't cut it long term.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Al, I gotta add post millenium Steeler's fans, too.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Sing with me now:
Hell...To The...Deadskins!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 17, 2010 11:20 AM

Come up with that little ditty yourself? We'll see what your tune is on 9/13. Do stop by.

Posted by: and_1 | August 17, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:38 AM

I don't know if it makes as much sense as you believe it does. If the Skins are the same ol' sorry Skins this year, he is not going to stay.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 17, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Walter -

I root passively for jeff Gordon just to set the Cowboys fans around me off (I've watched less than two minutes of Nascar in the last decade, but it still p*sses all Nascar fans off when you say you root for Jeff Gordon). That is in reaction to the fact that in 1983, the Cowboys fans became Caps fans (because the Caps started winning). They certainly rooted for the Bullets in 78 and 79 and thereafter, and we all remain Orioles fans. Most of my friends got into Nascar in the 1990s (we were all into boxing in the 80s). Actually, now I root for Montoya which REALLY ticks them off. There are plenty of erstwhile home team fans (we are by and large ACC BBall fans and most of us Terp fanatics) who ROOT for the Cowboys...and love the fact that it gets on people's nerves.

I agree with the frontrunner theory to an extent, but in the 70s the Colts, Dolphins and Steelers would have made sense as the frontrunner picks - and I recall clearly abusing the Cowboy fans in elementary school after each SB loss.

I think the contrarian theory is more relevant for my group of friends. But bantering about football never brings up the same internal animosity as politics (thank god!)

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 17, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

You make a good case that Shanahan and Allen are keeping the future in mind and I agree that there is some consideration of the future going on. Indeed, it's possible the approach they've taken is optimal given the mess Vinny made.

However, I remain concerned that their plan is unbalanced in favor of finding older guys who can win now, or older guys on the cheap who can help them win now versus draft picks to win for the long run. I'm concerned, I'm not condemning their approach wholeheartedly yet.

I also agree with Brownwood no high round QB should be drafted if McNabb resigns here.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 17, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
You are right that the teams fortunes are tied to McNabb. This is a very scary proposition for a couple of reasons. There is a good chance that he may want to jump to the Vikings next year. Favre is almost certainly done after this year. They have better weapons and are closer to competing for a SB. If he does resign it will be for about 3 years and 10mil per year. That is a big chunk of change for a guy who is battling father time and has not been able to stay healthy. It also means he will be eating up a big piece of the cap space. This will limit free agents they will be able to sign. With limited picks they will also not be able to replenish with the draft.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 17, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

It's like a carwreck or a developmentally challenged person with a gun.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 11:39 AM

All of this moron's comments are sooooooo predictable. He adds nothing original and is the epitome of moron.

Also as predictable:

If you're a Cowboy's fan and you don't live in Dallas and you weren't born in Dallas, then you're a wannabe Cowboy's fan.

Add Tony Dorsett to the hate Cowboy's list.

Posted by: hessone | August 17, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 17, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Excellent elucidation of the downside scenario! I've been very uneasy about the McNabb deal since day one.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 17, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying we're going to the Super Bowl or anything. But we're headed in the right direction. Case in point, I haven't seen so many posts by Cowgirl fans on RI, ever. And its not like the Cowgirls have anything to brag about. So Allen and Shanny must be doing something right.

Posted by: clark202 | August 17, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88

Well it still doesn't make a difference. We can agree on this, expectations are NEVER met by the Dallas Cowgirls. Any argument there? I don't think so. Here you are, parading around because you are super bowl favorites. Woohoo!! Keep hanging on the fact that you're the super bowl favorite.

And clark202 is 100% correct... Mrirvin, what exactly are you trying to brag about anyway?

Posted by: rachel216 | August 17, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse