Sports Waves: Reviewing Sunday Night Football

In case RI Nation missed it, Len Shapiro reviewed NBC's work on Sunday Night's Redskins-Cowboys game in his Sports Waves column.

The short version: Michaels is good, Madden is still good at times, Kremer is solid at a tough job, and advertising and promos were all overdone. Also, Shapiro notes that there was a lot more Romo talk than Portis talk, although both key players came in with injuries.

The Redskins also came into the game with an injury to one of their best players. But far less time in the booth was devoted to Washington running back Clinton Portis's wounded knee.
... Where was the pregame interview with Portis to talk about his state of mind, like the chat sideline reporter Andrea Kremer had with Romo a few minutes before kickoff?
Why not try to get a trainer or team doctor on camera to describe what Portis had to go through over the last two weeks to get ready to run, and whether he was risking further serious injury by playing? (They could have that for Romo's injury, as well.)

Enjoy ...

By Jon DeNunzio  |  November 18, 2008; 6:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Know They Play Better in Adversity
Next: Young CBs Looking at New Deals

Comments

Hmm, look at #1

Posted by: Tyler84101 | November 18, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I wish we were in first

Posted by: kreitmaster | November 18, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I noticed that Kremer interviewed Romo before the game and felt a bit disrespected that the Cowboys were getting more press than the Skins...since we were playing on our home field.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't get to see that many games during a season, but since I saw this one, here are some things which I noticed.

- Devin Thomas looks like a ball of nervous energy, they need to get him some sort of sports psycologist, or yoga trainer to teach him some breathing/relaxation methods so he can calm down and stay in the game.

- I think Zorn called too many pass plays, but given the injuries to our RB's, his hand may have been forced a little so I'll let him off for that. The other issue for me, was the types of pass plays called, okay, pass protection meant we couldn't go deep but I would love to know what % of Soupy's passes were less than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. The Cowboys knew it, and they played for it, which is why they got the pick. We needed more variety, just to keep the Cowboys on their toes, I mean once they saw the Cowboys were jumping our short routes, why not try a Hitch and Go?

- Santana needs to make that catch, I know you can't blame the loss on any one play, but I reckon if he had've hauled it in, it would've given us the momentum. If it was Devin Thomas who dropped that pass, hamsters would be screaming for blood.

- I love Chris Horton.

- I don't think we do enough to get the best out of Dirty #30. He's our best play maker on defense, and he's just not in the play often enough, we need to find ways to get him around the ball more often.

Posted by: kost52 | November 18, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it's as much Cowboys getting more respect than Redskins, I think it's more QB's getting more respect than RB's.

Posted by: kost52 | November 18, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

Re: the last thread, no more prime time games unless we get flexed, which is possible. Under NFL rules, we can still play up to three more prime time games (max is 6).

I'm casting a suspicious eye at weeks 14 and 16.

The scheduled Sunday night game for Week 14 is New England @ Seattle. Yawn. We play @ Baltimore, and both are likely to be fighting for wild card berths in our respective conferences.

The scheduled Sunday night game for Week 16 is San Diego @ Tampa Bay. We play Philly. Depending on what happens to Tampa and Philly down the stretch, our game may have more implications.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 18, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Kost52,

No way, man. Cowgirls are all over the F'n place. Media scum drool over them, overhype them, all of which keeps them in business. I can't stand that the girls get all this attention when they underachieve and basically suck. We blew the best opportunity we've had this season to position ourselves for the playoffs. This game and the Rams are going to kill us in the end I'm afraid.

Posted by: cosomfla | November 18, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I hate the cowboys, the colors blue and silver and anyone or thing that has the slightest affection for Jessica Simpson...

Posted by: DCXNTX | November 18, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

cosomfla - You're probably right in general, you'd know better than me. I just thought that with the Romo/Portis thing, that if it was JC coming back from injury, and Marion Barber fighting injury, they would've interviewed JC.

Posted by: kost52 | November 18, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

cosomfla is absolutely correct. Before the season began, the media was hyping the Cowboys as Super Bowl winners - or to at least make it to the Super Bowl. They got off to a fast start and the media continued to praise them. Even when they went downhill, all we heard about was the flippin' Cowboys! No respect was given to the Titans and not much more to the Giants...it was Cowboys ad nauseum. If we had won the other night, we would have put a nail in the Cowboys coffin....guess the media would then start hyping them for next season.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Kost52,

I wish it were true, but sadly it's not.

I believe that Romo is the #1 NFL celebrity and his injury only increased his status as far as the media is concerned. Actually, I believe the media was loving it when he went down because they could see the freefall coming. It has nothing to do with football.

Posted by: cosomfla | November 18, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

so the difference between last season and this season? the head coach. a rookie vs. a hall of famer. i can't believe how many points skins scored in PT last year. wow!!! those were the days! zorn needs to chill a bit in PT...i don't think there's any drug testing for the coaches so my advice is to take a hit or two a half hour before the game starts...

btw...big homecoming game this weekend for zorny...wonder how that'll go for him...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 18, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

One thing I noted was how many slo mo plays they showed of Romom's pinkie.

I mean seriously.

Posted by: Zeebs | November 18, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Well that sucks!

I think that's one of the most painful parts about that loss. Knowing that we could've just ended their season, and maybe even gotten their coach fired.

Posted by: kost52 | November 18, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | November 18, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I expect him to suit up! Probably wear a Joey T. single bar facemask! Dude is going to be fired up!

Posted by: cosomfla | November 18, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Well that sucks!

Posted by: kost52 | November 18, 2008 7:44 PM | Report

Perhaps not...think about it. Another year or so of Wade Phillips may be to our benefit!

Posted by: cosomfla | November 18, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

cosomfla, you're right, I was just thinking about the short term, for the long term it was a good plan for Zorn to throw this game, and keep Wade Phillips as his opponent!

Posted by: kost52 | November 18, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

omg wow the media pay way more attention to the cowboys than any other team. tell me something i dont know

Posted by: anonymous35 | November 18, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Let's be honest with ourselves here: the Skins were exposed as a fraud against the Steelers. Even the no-show fans were exposed. The Skins are 6-4, true, but they're dropping like Paris Hilton's panties. They'll be lucky to finish 9-7. But we should consider that success. How many of you would have bet that Zorn could be this competitive in his first season?

Here's the remaining slate:

Seattle: The Skins can't beat them when it counts in the playoffs, so they'll frustrate the hell out of us by winning now in Zorn's homecoming. Win, 7-4

Giants: Could be worse than the first time around -- now they have film on Zorn. Good luck, Jason. Loss, 7-5

Baltimore: More defense. The Skins are gonna get pummeled, and that creaky old offensive line is already worn out. Loss, 7-6

Cincy: Yes, Cincy only has one win (and one tie). But they'll play the Skins tough before beating themselves. Win, 8-6

Philly: No late-season Joe Gibbs magic for the Skins. The Eagles win this one on guts and pride alone. Loss, 8-7

San Fran: Another West Coast trip bodes ill, but the Skins defense will knockout the 49ers. Win, 9-7

So that's it, boys. Another lonely January for the Skins. Care to argue?

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | November 18, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Okay Diesel,

I will stretch this one and say, Portis being able to go, we win 5/6, lone loss coming from the iggles. Giants have wrapped up division after this weekend and we will be desperate. Baltimore is going to be a tough one but we'll eke it out. Seattle, and Cincy, we're ok. Actually, San Fran worries me. Okay, let me have it!

Posted by: cosomfla | November 18, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Instead, we have to read this excuae about "we play better under adversity." That's plum pitiful. The Redskins actually played quite well, without any adversity, during their games against Dallas, Philadelphia, Arizona.

Kost, liked your analysis of the game. Hope you watch more, especially your characterization of Devin Thomas. I hadn't thought of that myself, but it makes sense to me.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 18, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Why do you all think Baltimore is going to be so tough? Yes, they have a good defense but did you watch that game on Sunday?

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Thanks TE, makes me wonder if playing the entire preseason, or not having his TD catch called back would've made a difference for him.

Posted by: kost52 | November 18, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

kost,

I think the pre-season definitely held him back and has hurt him. The TD catch is just kind of the breaks of the game. Called back, or not, it should have given him some confidence since it wasn't his fault it was called back. It was also good when Zorn said his miss was on Jason, not on Devin. I don't see it that way, but good for Zorn for standing up for the rookie.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 18, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

++++So tired of all the whining on this blog about "the Cowboys get too much love." If the Redskins had won the other night and ended the Cowboys season, then the Redskins would be getting all the love. It didn't happen.++++--TALENT EVALUATOR

You're way off base, TE. Skins had a heroic run for the roses last year, got in the Playoffs, while the 'pokes got jacked by the Giants.

So who does HBO pick to focus on? Right.NOT the 'skins. NOT the Giants.

Who gets the Thanksgiving game AT HOME every year? Un huh.

Has anyone EVER called the Redskins America's Team? Nope.

Dallas is to the NFL what the Lakers and Celtics are to the NBA, the Yankees and the Red Sox are to baseball. The MEAL TICKET.

Skins would have to go on a run like New England has to get a transferrence of hype.

And it's not "media driven." It's "profit driven." The conglomerates who own the NFL and the networks and the clothing manufacturers and the shoe companies aren't "media scum." They're bottom line businessmen

They just use the Media for their own selfish interests.

Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2008 8:29 PM

Wow, Lisa, I just looked it up and the Ravens defense is number three in the league in yards per game--267.9, just behind the Giants--265.8. But the number four team? Redskins with 276.4 yards per game.

Redskins are number 13 in offensive yards per game and Ravens are number 19.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 18, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I think the reason we lost is because I didn't do a good enough job with my beer selection for the game. I went with a Golden Ale, and a Celtic Red, my thinking being that Red and Gold wasn't too far off for a colour blind bloke. But it was a rushed choice.

Sorry guys, I'll shoulder the blame, I promise to make a better choice next time the Skins are on over here.

Posted by: kost52 | November 18, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Skins we end up at 9 and 7. The Skins are an old team on both the offensive and defensive lines. Injuries and lack of depth will take its toll. Duckett like trades have really hindered them and will really begin to hurt them in 09. The O-line looks real old. Who is ready to step in?

Posted by: ayala1 | November 18, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

talent evaluator, the Ravens are #2.

(Think about it.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2008 8:44 PM

And the 'Skins got jacked by the Seahawks. How do we expect to be loved when we can't beat the Seahawks? Or the Cowboys, in our own stadium on Sunday night?

The rest of that stuff -- media scum, profit-driven, conglomerates, etc. -- I'll leave to guys like you who have more understanding than I do.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 18, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

talent evaluator, the Ravens are #2.

(Think about it.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 8:50 PM

I keep thinking about it and I keep looking at the stats. The stats show Pittsburgh number 1, Giants number 2, Ravens number 3, Skins number 4. Now I'll try thinking about it some more.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 18, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 18, 2008 8:52 PM
=============================================
Maps.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 18, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Ok RI...I'm back...couldn't bear to post after the loss.

SICWIDIT'S ANALYSIS

1) Can't beleive folks have turned on JC! Give one rational reason why he should start over JC...

2) If we don't fix pass protection issues, we are DONE!!! Coach up Reinhart and Geisinger....get them some reps.

3) Analysis done...If you can't protect the QB, you can't get the ball to Moss, Thomas, Davis, or Cooley.

Again...whoever is calling for Colt Brennan is an absolute azz!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 18, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52 | November 18, 2008 8:49 PM

Kost, Close but no cigar. The Golden Ale works fine. Next time, though, order a glass of French Burgundy and we'll win 35-10.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 18, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Also, I don't believe the Ravens have beaten a winning team this season.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm crazy, but I still think we have a shot at 10-6. I think we can beat both the Ravens and Eagles, the second one at home.

My analysis of the game and the state of the Skins is that we need more weapons on offense and a pass rush on defense. Nothing new there.

I was a little concerned at our inability to stop the run, especially when our secondary was doing a decent job against their pass game.

I'm still not convinced Campbell is THE guy to take us to a championship. There are many things I like about him--he throws a nice long ball, he's big and strong, and he doens't rattle easy. But some times he seems to lack both football intelligence and especially a vision and sense of what's going on around him and on the field.

That last quality is something I think is innate and few QBs have it. Romo, who I really can't stand, has it. He avoids sacks not only because he's nimble, but also because he has a great sense of when and where the pressure's coming from and also where his receivers are on the field.

Now, I'm not laying all our offensive woes on Campbell and with better protection and more talented receivers he'll probably do fine. But I'm just saying that I'm not completely sold on him. Doesn't make me a hater or anything, I just have some lingering doubts.

Having said that, starting Colt at any point in this season would be idiocy. I think he's got some potential, though, that I'd like to see next pre-season if we don't make the playoffs and/or advance more than a round.

Posted by: gringoinmiami | November 18, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

TE, missing the obvious scatalogical humour.... wow, just wow.

Calling for Colt is a lot like calling for a new GM or owner. Insane, but the typing must be therapeutic. Either that, or it's some sort of written tourette's.

Posted by: daggar | November 18, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Colt! Colt! Colt! Colt!

Nope, I don't feel a tiny bit better after typing that.

Let's beat the doggone Seahawks and their stupid twelfth man. Let's do this. Then we're 7-4 heading into a tough final five games. Come on now.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

daggar,

You're right. Thanks for helping me out there. I think it's because my kids are 12 and 14, and we haven't referred to the Ravens in a long time. Or, more likely, I'm just dense.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 18, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Every game is gonna be tough seeing as our offense can't score any f'n points. Hanging the D out to dry over and over again.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 18, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Let's beat the doggone Seahawks and their stupid twelfth man.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 9:29 PM

I'm just hoping we don't have our own 12th man and draw another five yard penalty for it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 18, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

lisa, I like you but talking like that about Baltimore can get you banned from this site. Don't you know yhat ?

Posted by: dealer1 | November 18, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52 | November 18, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Did Portis miss any games? Was he ever listed as "out". You're all waaaa waaaa we get no respect. Five minutes ago people were trying to decide who was going to be MVP, CP or JC.

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 18, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT,

Very good post.... JC is a very good QB, he reads D's better than being an accurate passer. He's getting better, but if he can't step into his throw, he's a weak QB. You can probably say that about a lot of QB's but he's especially bad b/c of his arm strength. He feels he can complete the pass bc of it however, his throws "sail" on him b/c of it.. NEED PROTECTION!!!! Don Warren said at the Hall of Fame game in Canton, that Rinehart was a beast, w/ a nasty streak that looks as if he could play any position on the line. Why has he not been active once? How can we only have 4 WR's but we can't activate an extra linemen??? B/C of Linebacker depth??

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 18, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

A comment was made after the game on Sunday that the Hurt Jason Taylor looked a lot like the Healthy Jason Taylor. Anyone agree?

Is there a coincidence that the less Chris Wilson plays the less sacks we get??? How about any pressure?

Clegg

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 18, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

2 upsetting stats

Andre Carter, 10 games, 2 sacks
Second half points vs dal and Pitts: 0

Andre Carter is not the answer at RDE. Jason Taylor might be. Give the job to Taylor. Right away.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

OK, sorry RI, I didn't mean to break the blog! My apologies and "good night now"

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 18, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

2 upsetting stats

Andre Carter, 10 games, 2 sacks
Second half points vs dal and Pitts: 0

Posted by: zcezcest1

I was thinking something similar, the only thing I'd say, is that this was meant to be Taylor first game healthy, give him another, and if there's still no improvement on the pass rush, maybe then make the move.

Posted by: kost52 | November 18, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Second half points vs dal and Pitts: 0

Posted by: zcezcest1

I think I was in denial about this stat until I read it.

In games 2-5 we were dominant in the 2nd half, especially the 4th qtr.

To me, not scoring in the 2nd half is about coaching and not making adjustments. Zorn needs to step up his play calling.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Curzon -- I agree. Going scoreless in the second half is largely on the coach. Its worth noting they could have scored against Pitt since they were down on the 1. But even if they had a FG, the point is still the same. The offense just isn't doing anything in the 2nd half.

Perhaps almost as bad, the Skins have scored 10 points on their first possession in the last two games, only 6 points the rest of the time.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 19, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Zorn has the players playing to tight, no mistakes. Playing not to lose. We need to get aggressive, hit 'em in the mouth type of football.

The offense is going to have to start scoring some points. We may not be able to do that without making mistakes. Turnovers. But with the defense we have, IF the offense can start putting up points, we would be able to overcome those mistakes.

Time to play some violent, go for the throat football and stop playing around with three and outs and kicking field goals!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 19, 2008 2:01 AM | Report abuse

I swear Jasno looks at my comments and then writes the article.

++++Rusty -- mostly agree. Except that Carter should spell Taylor and Evans on the other side. Carter is a pass rushing DE without the pass rush. Jason Taylor hasn't shown anything either, but at least he has upside as he is finally healthier and in better game shape.
Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2008 5:31 PM++++

7 hours later, out comes the Post article ... My favorite line from it:

"Did we really get Jason Taylor to stop the run?" one veteran quipped.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 19, 2008 2:32 AM | Report abuse

Part of the issue with a pass rush is getting the QB to think he is going to get hit. He'll make decisions more quickly and make a few poor ones, which will lead to turnovers.

I'm not against Blache's philosophy about stopping the run, though it didn't work so well on Sunday night when they simply ran it down our throats.

But if you are going to stop the run and not get much of a pass rush, why not play a 3 man front? That way, you keep 8 guys back instead of 7 and make it harder for the QB to find someone open.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 19, 2008 2:39 AM | Report abuse

Last week after the Steelers debacle I posted that the Skins would finish 9-7. I got jumped in here. Now I post it and you all agree? What a difference a week (and no offense whatsoever) makes!

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | November 19, 2008 6:02 AM | Report abuse

BREES LEADS EARLY PRO BOWL VOTING
Posted by Mike Florio on November 18, 2008, 2:53 p.m.
The initial numbers are in as to Pro Bowl ballots cast online and via wireless devices.

And the overall leader is Saints quarterback Drew Brees.

The other top ten vote-getters are, as follows: (2) running back Clinton Portis, Redskins; (3) quarterback Brett Favre, Jets; (4) quarterback Eli Manning, Giants; (5) tight end Chris Cooley, Redskins; (6) receiver Santana Moss, Redskins; (7) receiver Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals; (8) quarterback Jay Cutler, Broncos; (9) quarterback Jason Campbell, Redskins; and (10) tight end Jason Witten, Cowboys.

Fittingly, the team from Washington, D.C., is getting the vote out. In addition to having four players in the top ten overall, a whopping 17 others are leading the NFC at their respective positions.

You can vote by clicking the Pro Bowl ads that you’ll see from time to time on the site. (And if you don’t see one right now, try hitting F5.)

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 19, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't see why this post is necessary. Everyone knows that the Cowpies are always domed up by the media. It'll be interesting to see who gets more media love when Dallas plays Pittsburgh...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 19, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 19, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood, The Steelers have nothing on the girls. The Steelers (and maybe the Packers) get the most love from their fans.

The only chance the girls would have at being out loved by the media is if they were to play the New York Brets.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 19, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

This morning's article on the defensive line was timely and ominous. The critical point is that we do not have the personnel to bull rush a passer. Our ends are underweight and finesse types. Our tackles are not physically dominant. Under Williams we would sell out by blitzing 6 or 7 and have a reasonable success rate, Blache is far more cautious. Blache's style of controlled defense works as long as our offense does not turn the ball over and controls the number of times the opposite team has chances for drives. The bottom line is that we are doing the best with the personnel we have, but there is no reason to EVER expect a consistent pass rush from this group. It is past time to retool and we have such other glaring needs on the offensive line and outside linebackers. Next year's draft will tell us volumes about whatever strategic plan the front office has.

Posted by: driley | November 19, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

especially considering Carter's problems

Did I miss something? What problems is Carter having?

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 19, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

I hope this is the week we get to see Kelly. I am ready for him to shut up a lot of people.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 19, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

jm, agreed on Kelly. I saw him on the field before the last game running patterns and catching passes, I was hoping that he'd be active. I'm hopeful that the issues that the Seahawks have with their cb's, makes for some easy passing from the Redskins....

Didn't Trufant suffer a concussion in the last game? What is his status for this upcoming game??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 19, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Did I miss something? What problems is Carter having?

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 19, 2008 7:42 AM

JM--That's been one of the loopie themes this week: "Carter's not getting any sacks. Bench him."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

This morning's article on the defensive line was timely and ominous.

Posted by: driley | November 19, 2008 7:25 AM |

Everything the Post publishes about the Redskins is ominous, though (in light of Sunday's article about ex-Redskin radio announcers) not always timely. Defense is number four in the league, even after we cut Torrence. Aren't the more pressing and timely issues on offense?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Thanks TE. I wish the team had more sacks as well but I am not going to blast the D. They have played great all year. Funny how people flip flop. I can remember the last two years it was Carter couldn't play the run. Now he is playing the run well it's jumps to sacks. Whatever it take to keeps pushing the negative I guess.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 19, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

beepity beep boop

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

te, jm, agreed. The D held the boys to 14 points. It was the offense that let the team down, not the D. Despite not using a high draft pick on a defensive linemen, hasn't the team had a top 10 defense 3 of the last 4 years??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 19, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse