Springs' Coverage Extended to T.O.'s Home

Jason Reid reports:

After harassing Dallas wide receiver Terrell Owens on Sunday afternoon, Washington cornerback Shawn Springs relaxed at his longtime friend's Dallas-area home Sunday night and watched the Chicago Bears defeat the Philadelphia Eagles, 24-20. TV commentators who expressed surprise that he had played well against Owens, his offseason workout partner, amused Springs. (He had permission to stay in Dallas, where his father Ron remains in a vegetative state.)

"He didn't really say much to me after the game," Springs said of Owens. "We just sat there and watched a little bit of the Chicago game at his condo.

"You know what's the funny thing about this? This is what I laugh at: You hear commentators like, 'Shawn Springs, for an older corner, can cover.' I was like, 'Hold it! He's two years older than me.' "

Springs, 33, is in his 12th season in the league. Owens, who turns 35 in December, is a 13-year veteran. "People forget stuff like that," Springs said. "That's funny. The reason why I was drafted was to play bigger receivers. It's not the first time we've matched up. It's probably been like eight times.

"He's so used to me playing against me, and how I'm going to play him, he's used to it. It's not like he's going to quit. He's a competitor. He's going to keep working. He knows I'm going to keep trying to jam him and keep trying to cover him."

With Springs in coverage, Owens caught a 10-yard touchdown pass on the Cowboys' opening possession of the third quarter. Springs did not return to the game after injuring his calf in the quarter, and Carlos Rogers also fared well against Owens, who finished with seven receptions for 71 yards after gaining only 11 yards on two catches before halftime.

"That hurt me," Springs said of having to sit out most of the second half. "I felt really good coming out in the second half. That was one of those games you just want to keep going. I was like, 'Oh, man.' I guess that would have made the game a little more dramatic for the fans."

The Redskins on Sunday play the Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field. Springs sat out the season-opening loss to the New York Giants after strong-side linebacker Marcus Washington inadvertently kicked him in the shin during practice that week.
"I'm walking pretty fine," Springs said. "The shin that Marcus almost broke hurt worse than this."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 30, 2008; 4:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Philly Stakes Defensive Rep on Linebackers
Next: Is Eagles' Offense for Real?

Comments

from Last Post:

Chris Clemons is also a LB on their team.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I did grow up in G'burg, and do know what Bama means.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Sorry 4-12....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

How big are the Dallas linebackers??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 30, 2008 4:38 PM

Ware is huge. But Zach Thomas is in the Middle at a very suspect 5'9. That will knock down the overall size real quick...

Posted by: Club320 | September 30, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

This is awesome... great stuff on TO/Springs... reminder of life off the field for these dudes...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 30, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

According to the Posts own stuff, the Dallas LB's were as follows:

Ellis - 265
James - 239
Thomas - 228
Ware - 257

Not sure how the weights of the Philly LB's is relevant, didn't the Redskins just put up 166 on the ground against a similarly sized group??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 30, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

We all know they didn't just sit in the house and not say much to each other.

I'm sure there was a lot of personal jaw jacking, such as....

I'm sure Springs had to listen to alot of complaining from him........

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

(Catching up from earlier)
Congrats cL. Hope she turns out Burgundy and Gold. I'm sure she will.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 30, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I've heard rumors that these "NFL sources" JLC always talks to are none other than VINNY CERRATO HIMSELF!!

CONSPIRACY

Posted by: TheTruth11 | September 30, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Bit of an Egotist...but his Cowboys "Sven Tip" predictions were spot on and he's got some interesting theory on why the 'skins are better now...

"A Fond Farewell to the Hole-in-the-Roof Gang"

EXCERPT:

"Well now, that seemed to go well. Before I go gaga for the Burgundy and Gold, let me say some kind things to ease the burden of pain for Cowboys fans….

"Naah. Just kidding. Rot in your hole-in-the-roof Hell, suckers....

"I'll save my "Keys to Beating the Eagles" until later this week as I want to savor this one a little longer. Skins fans, bloggers, columnists and other experts have all weighed in with analyses and theories, but I haven't seen one other possible key to success mentioned:

Let's call it the "U" Factor...."

Link for entire column...

Posted by: Corkczar | September 30, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you ONE MAJOR factor that's improved the running game, beyond the obvious that:

1. Portis is healthy.

2. The veteran starting five/six Oline are regaining cohesion

3. The TE's are blocking well.

4. Sellers is a Beast.

And that is: An element missing fromt the redskins running attack for years--"deception."

Zorn said he kept the plays from last year, but a number are new. I've seen fakes and handoffs and quck pitches that are different from the old days.

There was one play I'd NEVER seen before anywhere where a WR came in motion on a reverse and the toss went to Portis cutting in front of him running in the opposite way. HAD to freeze the defense.

Remember the old COUNTER TREY? Well that play worked because of a hugh line, powerful backs and because of the jab step taken away from the direction of the run. It was just enough to influence the defender and make the blockers job easier.

But Gibbs 2.0 got away from that. Not only were there few plays, but no deception to any of them. I'd hate to have to block those schemes. But I LOVE some of the new plays.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 30, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

cL, it's Sav Rocca, an ex-Aussie Rules guy, one of kost52's people...

(By the way, kost, sorry about your Cats losing the Grand Final... bummer...)

Read that David Akers is struggling... I'll happily take a combo of good punter/bad kicker, esp since we neutralize ourselves on punt returns by having ARE back there.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 30, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Ellis - 265
James - 239
Thomas - 228
Ware - 257

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 30, 2008 4:46 PM

I am not being confrontational, Greg. So dont think I am doing this to show my football acumen vs. yours. BUUUUT: Dalls runs a 3-4. Prior to Parcells arriving Ellis was a DE and converted. As did Ware from college, he is just a freak though and one of the best in the game. There middle guys are much smaller, neither topping 240. We have fletcher and rocky in our 4-3, also smaller by comparison. I was merely pointing out as a group, those guys are big as an average. Its just a point of view thats all. I think Jason said they are #1 versus the run, which tells me they are probably talented too. Finally, I am just thinking it may be a good day to see a lot of COOOOOOOOLEY!

Posted by: Club320 | September 30, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Pro Football Weekly power rankings

By PFW staff
Sept. 30, 2008

1. New York Giants
The underdog routine isn’t flying these days.

2. Tennessee Titans
On pace to force 48 turnovers in 2008, as Chargers did in ’07.

3. Dallas Cowboys
What happened to getting Felix Jones involved as a receiver?

4. Buffalo Bills
The Fred Jackson story never gets old.

5. Philadelphia Eagles
Nearly won in Chicago despite injuries, missed field goals.

6. San Diego Chargers
Strong finishers, but need to learn to avoid the bad starts.

7. Pittsburgh Steelers
Those pesky Jaguars are on deck.

8. Washington Redskins
Only one turnover this season.

9. Denver Broncos
We knew the defense would catch up with them at some point.

10. Carolina Panthers
Still too many critical errors if they want to be an elite team.
---------------------------

The Eagles at #5 ??????

They're 2-2, and may be headed for 2-3.

Makes no sense.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 30, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Congrats CL!

Easy to raise a daughter as a fanatical Skins fan - I don't remember NOT knowing the words to Hail to the Redskins and I now get phone calls from my sister with my sister's singing it (that and just randomnly yelling Coooooooooley).

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 30, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

That would be with my NIECES singing and randomnly yelling COOOOOOOOOOOOLEY.

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 30, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cmecyclist | September 30, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Remember, there were a lot of people who have predicted Philadelphia will win the superbowl.

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 30, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Springs had to listen to alot of complaining from him ...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2008 4:46 PM

... and alot of "hey, man [sniff], that's my [sniff] career out there ..."

Regardless of weight, Philly's three LBs have been playing tougher than Dallas' four, plus the Philly JJ is alot more aggressive in defensive play calling than Bum Phillips' boy ...

... by which I mean to say there is a troubling mismatch btwn Philly's LBs (esp. on the outside) and Jimzorn's "get-the-first-down" style offense.

Bottom line: Stay medium. In Zorn we trust.

Posted by: dcsween | September 30, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

...and bear down.

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 30, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

So there was a post on Philly LBs. Well we got the best in the biz right here.

"Zorn essentially gave the Redskins yesterday off. Middle linebacker London Fletcher, however, put out the word he expected his defensive teammates to be at Redskins Park to review film and sort out some mistakes. Fletcher expressed his expectation that players come in on their own to watch the game tapes, and they obliged."

Guy has never been to the pro bowl. He's tied for 2nd in the league in tackles afte being 3rd last year. Look at the Skins defense before this guy came to town. Look at it since. Is he good, great, All Pro? Better.

I'm saying right now that London Fletcher deserves to be a serious candidate for MVP of the entire league.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying that the Skins' LBs can't pee in the tall grass with Philly's LBs, I'm just saying that Philly's LBs are better than the ones we've faced so far (other than maybe the Giants' LBs in that first quarter of that game about a million years ago). Plus, they have a strength (or a defensive coordinator who puts them in a position that plays to their strengths) in the outside flats ... which happens to be a place where the Skins' offense has developed a strength.

I'm feeling medium and anxiously awaiting the "Second Quarter" of the Playbook according to Zorn.

[and Stumped, I only 'bear down' when I have to ... and with the help of laxatives ....]

Posted by: dcsween | September 30, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

In-sjkin'-credible. Read, and then talk amongst yourselves....

Posted by: RedskinWillie | September 30, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Governor Palin: "The way that I have understood the world is through education, through books, through mediums that have provided me a lot of perspective on the world."

I personally believe that maps for U.S. Americans who can see, like such as, the Russia from their backyard, are important for the education of the potential, but not likely, Vice Honchette of said U.S. America

Posted by: MsTeenSouthCarolina | September 30, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Prediction: The team will lose faith in Zorn and abandon him.

Prediction: Empty seats at Fed-Ex. In a tight economy you give up those tight fist dollars for a winner, something to make you feel good. Who wants to pay all that money to go see this pile of steaming crap? We have been waiting for a good offense to show up here for over 15 years.

Jason Taylor looked like crap. Our draft picks are a joke. Zorn is a freaking joke.

Vinny and Dan punted this season, its time to punt them and their team.

Posted by: DTC | September 4, 2008 10:30 PM
Nothing is more fickle than a NFL fan. Oh ye of little faith.
Just got through reading the sept 4th post after the giants loss. Someone actually started a fire Jim Zorn webb site.

Posted by: Brutus2 | September 30, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

The Bears offense put 24 on the Eagles "D"Please Kyle Orton? KYLE FREAKIN ORTON!!! i'm not dissin KO but Jason is comming into his own, the "Girls" dropped 41 on em two weeks ago,all i'm saying is if we play our game Jim Johnson is gonna have his hands full, and by the way Devin Thomas time to step up, note to Vinny see if Detroit wideout Roy Williams(UNHAPPY) is available for Malcom Kelly and a mid range draft pick see if we can gets this bumm outta here.GO DC11

Posted by: dargregmag | September 30, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I'd give that to JC. Seriously. On pace for 24 TDs, zero INTs, zero fumbles, 3,512 yards, 65% completion, and a 12-4 record. That's got to be damn close to MVP status.

Posted by: psps23 | September 30, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | September 30, 2008 6:58 PM |

I have to agree with this stop giving them so much credit, Chicago's offense sucks and Dallas passed all over them, I know we have not had a good team in a long time and most of you forgot how to be confident.

It's the Philly defense that should be concerned, not us if Dallas put 41 on them and almost 400 yards passing we can easly do the same thing.

Go Skins

F Philly and there defense.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 30, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I do not agree with the part about Kelly though.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 30, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

You must make one promise, CL. With a common last name like Larry, maybe you should go with an unusual first name, like "..."

Anything but Jason.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 30, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

This is the 250,039th comment! Way to go, gang.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 30, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

So counting backward and assuming no one entered posts on the previous thread....
this was 1/4 million.

Hey Karen, because they play traditional stand up LBs. like the SAM or the MIke. Where as Taylor historically played with his hand on the ground. I have no problem with his size. Strahan extended his career, by getting down to 260-255. But you need real talented guys playing interior and backing him up against the run...

Posted by: Club320 | September 30, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 30, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Is he good, great, All Pro? Better.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

BETTER!

Posted by: frediefritz | September 30, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 30, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

As well as Campbell has played, the heart and soul of this team is defense. We played SB MVP LBM, Kurt Warner with Edge, Fitzgerald and Boldin, Drew Brees and his crew and friggin dallas and their "unstoppable" offense. Outside of the first half of the first game, this defense has been excellent against some of the best in the biz.

London Fletcher plays great, runs the defense making the calls/adjustments, fires guys up and apparently runs the locker room, too. Which is why I think he is not only the Skins MVP, but one of the guys who should be considered for league MVP

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Zcezcest give me two more games of his production keeping at this rate and I am sold.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

At this rate we have a great chance that one of our players will e MVP

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

His production was high last year. cezcest1, has nailed in IMO.

Fletcher was brought it because of who he is and how he plays. It takes a while to become a leader in the locker room (even if you have it like LF). Clearly, he's the man.

Right now, on the defensive side of the ball he HAS to be in the top two or three players.

I just hope we have some young players (Blades?) on the team that will pick up what London has. He's got them all playing smart football.

I think that loss to NY left a bitter taste. This team likes the sweet taste of victory.

Here's to a victory in PHL.
Hail!

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 30, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

yeah...i'm getting the feeling that the offense will come down to earth a lil bit in this game. asante samuels is kinda good. so's JJ. expecting lots of blitzes. will really need portis to punish their blitzes and receivers to come to the ball cuz it's not gonna be pretty.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 30, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

we're back to taking 1 minute to post things up here?

okay so no one told me that there are pirates out there still???

tiny url

there's some really funny lines in the article starting with:
A spokesman for the pirates said the shootout report was false.

LOL!!!

Attempts to contact him later Tuesday failed. A man answering his phone said Ali was "very tired" and was asleep.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 30, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

This is the 250,039th comment! Way to go, gang.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 30, 2008 7:19 PM

I think I posted another 225-250 over the weekend that still haven't come up yet. I'm not really expecting them until Thursday or Friday. Ask your techies.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 30, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

NFL Network will replay the skins vs. the girls game at 9:30 PM EDT woohoooooooooooooo!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | September 30, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

dealer, did you read it outloud like a pirate like I did?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

no...arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Posted by: dealer1 | September 30, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I think if you count backwards from the last section, you'll find my post is number 250,000. Very prescient of me.

number 250,000 for me?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Alex, the trade will make less sense as time goes on. Henderson can play now, though I'm not certain if he cracks your starting line-up this week. Colston is worthless for a few more weeks. I figure he won't be back (in a meaningful way) until after the bye in week 9. Henderson obviously gives you points in weeks until then.

After that, it depends on how well Colston comes back. I'm betting he's good after the bye, better than Henderson. But it doesn't mean Henderson goes away. I'm giving up a few points in the short term for more later on.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Nice article from Boston. Also notes that Zorn is the only coach to be undefeated in Texas Stadium :)

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 30, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

NFLN Replays FTW! All the action, 50% less chatter. And no 'commercial -- punt -- commercial -- chatter -- 1st down play' shabingus...

BTW, a shame that post #250K didn't include the word shabingus... have to do better next borenimatum.

Posted by: daggar | September 30, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Zcest,
I understand that but I would be traiding a eventual no 3 WR in my depth chart for a guy who would be no 5 compared to my others. I am set at WR and am looking for a 2nd QB

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

For those who wondered if Dan Snyder was the worst owner in the league ... not even close.

Raiders owner Al Davis said Tuesday afternoon that he fired head coach Lane Kiffin on Tuesday morning because Kiffin is a "flat-out liar" who had undermined the team with his media dealings. "It was after a short period of time that I realized I didn't hire the person I thought I was hiring," Davis said.

Among the comments to the firing was this:

tunafish wrote:
For the past 25 years, the only meaningful question for the Raiders is when will Al die. I know of no less liked, less effective or more self destructive owner than Al Davis. He is a great argument for mandatory retirement.
9/30/2008 1:03 PM PDT

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008

zeke,

It's comforting to see you again as the unpronouncable name. Prescient would have been if you'd called it 250,000th at the time. Going back after the fact was postscient. And, anyway, there's still a lot of delayed posts out there that, when they're posted, are going to butt in line ahead of you.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 30, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 8:53 PM |

When he dies, will Snyder inherit his crown, at least up here?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 30, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

fair enough. I'd offer up Jake to you, but I don't think you've got anyone I'd want that you'd be willing to part with. Jake is going to get a ton of points because he plays a weak schedule. But something tells me you aren't parting with AP for him.

Maybe Rivers (#3 QB) for AP and Colston? Hmmmm, not sure I should do that!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

TE -- like the new word "postscient" I was postscient with my retirement portfolio when I should have been prescient. Yes, it works!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Alex, I'd suggest grabbing Byron Leftwich for your roster. I actually had picked him up after Philly sacked Ben 9 times, figuring he won't make thru the season, but cancelled that after Josh Reed became available (needed another WR more than 3rd QB). I figured he'd be good trade bait once he became a starter (a capable vet playing for a good team).

Given the other injuries to key players, Big Ben is going to be hard pressed to start each week.

Wouldn't have suggested this if you we still had to play each other. But since we've already played each other ... no risk for me here.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Just watching the end of the reply of the Cards/Jets game. Can someone explain to me why the Jets went for two points, inside of two minutes, when the score was 54-35? Did they really think that Arizona was suddenly going to score three TDs or was he just being an ass?

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 30, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Kost, if you're up here this evening, my condoloennces on Geelong's loss. Seemed like they were the team to beat all year, but it didn't happen until the championship. My relatives live in Brighton, so I'm in or thru Hawthorn quite a bit (if thats the Hawthorn)

But I did note the crowd -- 100,000!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Going to be a tough week in FF. SJK (aka SFSkin) has major Skins on her team. JC, ARE, Moss, Skins D/ST and Zorn. TJ Duckett had a good game for her last time out. She also has Anquan Boldin, but he won't play this week.

I've got Rivers, Reggie Wayne and Larry Fitzgerald, but Wayne goes against Houston and they can play defense, while Fitzgerald goes vs 4-0 Buffalo. Hopefully Rivers, Sproles and the SD D/ST will get me big points vs Miami.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

suzannepdc,

the jets went for two in that situation because they wanted to see if their two point play would work in a situation with nothing to lose.

i'm just sayin'...

Posted by: RedskinWillie | September 30, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

preseason puck drop in about 1 hr, so I'm out.

Crush the Iggles

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

suzanne, the Jets were trying to get my 4th string FF TE a couple of extra points.

Posted by: daggar | September 30, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

No fraternizing with the enemy.

Posted by: austin987654 | September 30, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey -- you know the saying, "Water covers 75% of the earth. The rest is covered by Smoot" -- well, he was still trying to find his way out of his helmet at the time. Someone had to cover TO's condo.

Posted by: daggar | September 30, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

This is ridiculous. Lacanfora still has his job?

Give the blog to Hootie!

Posted by: KelliJohnsonIsHot | September 30, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

This is ridiculous. Lacanfora still has his job?

Give the blog to Hootie!

Posted by: KelliJohnsonIsHot | September 30, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

how can you be so right about K johnson and so wrong about JLC?

Posted by: LiberalMike | September 30, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | September 30, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

*******************************

No freaking kidding! I score 124 points and LOSE?!?! Just hanging out at 0-4 with Smack!

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 30, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Just so you know, I was the one who 1st likened Jason Reid's resemblance to Darius Rucker.

I want credit for that.

Posted by: Dorf | September 30, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Also, Mountain Time sucks.

11am football games.

late night BMGO when no one else is.

Posted by: Dorf | September 30, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Who would win in a scissor-less fight?

Keyshawn vs. Michael

Johnson vs. Irvin

Sick.

Posted by: Dorf | October 1, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Dorf,
It could be worse. You could wake up and find out you were just dreaming and the Skins got hammered by Dallas and all this fuss was just a football fantasy.

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 1, 2008 3:38 AM | Report abuse

I was the one who 1st likened Jason Reid's resemblance to Darius Rucker. I want credit for that.

Posted by: Dorf | September 30, 2008 11:47 PM

Attention obituary writers everywhere: When dorf's time comes (in another hundred years), don't leave this out!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 1, 2008 5:57 AM | Report abuse

Great game by the 'skins. JC keep up the perfection. Gotta say I was afraid of those texass zebras giving the game to the cows. One advantage of watching the games here - when they're on tv - is during the commercial breaks we get to see what the network is looking at - which is usually breaking down a play in super slow motion repititously so that after the break they're ready for commentary. Suffice it to say - there was no evidence of a penalty on Rabach and thus no further comment by Aikman and Buck.

Shouldn't there be more fear for the iggles? They have they're backs against the wall having lost to the Bears.

Posted by: bangkokben | October 1, 2008 6:25 AM | Report abuse

BkB
I don't care how us fans are acting so long as that team of ours has the proper respect for the eagles and are not caught sleeping. I have read nothing to indicate that the team things we are all that.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 6:30 AM | Report abuse

have we had an update on Springs and Smoot?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 6:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bangkokben | October 1, 2008 6:25 AM

Bang,

We are fans we do not need to be scared of anything, the team knows how good Philly is and they are not getting big heads, they have to many leaders in that locker room to let that happen. Fletch has that defense focused and ready to go, made them come in on Monday to watch film.

I still say we are giving Philly to much respect, what have they done this year, they got torched by Romo and even Kyle Orten lit them up.

They beat the Rams, whoopdedo my High School team could beat them, and they beat Pittsburgh who has a terrible offensive line.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Pitts O line looks worse than the one we had with Spurrier.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 1, 2008 7:13 AM | Report abuse

The Zorn Identity

September 30, 2008 1:50 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

If I could just convince Redskins tight end Chris Cooley to tone down his language a bit on his fantastic blog, The Cooley Zone, we might feature him every day. His entry on the Cowboys game was priceless Monday. He gave coach Jim Zorn (Z) a lot of credit for his pep talks leading up to the game:

"The night before the game we talked about two things," said Cooley. "The first point was that it was going to take an unbelievable effort by everyone to win the game. Z talked about 'jumping off.' He's reading a book about Kit Carson and his trip from Missouri to New Mexico in the early 1800s. When someone decided to leave Missouri for further west they were jumping off.

"This was crazy dangerous and took a huge leap of faith and commitment. I know it sounds way corny and it did to us the night before the game, but if you think about it, it was relevant to our situation. Jump off to beat the Cowboys. Maybe Z is the pep talk expert. I mean, before the New Orleans game the topic was 'be excellent.' A line from George Carlin in 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.'

"The second thing we said is that when we get back in the locker room after the game, we will know we could have won the game. Whether we won or not, we knew that the Cowboys were a team we could beat. Obviously, winning was a much better option for us."

How good is that? I'll try to remember to ask Redskins P.R. chief Zack Bolno which Kit Carson book Zorn was reading, but I think it's this one. It's interesting that a coach at the professional level puts so much thought into inspirational messages. I know Tom Coughlin loves talking to his players about books he's reading. I know he was reading Doris Kearns Goodwin's book about Abe Lincoln when he arrived in Albany for training camp.

Not sure if Tom saw "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure," though. In one of the first speeches he gave during training camp, Zorn pulled down his jeans and told players how he didn't appreciate the "sag" look.

Jason Campbell told me that Zorn had players rolling in the aisles during his fashion talk. Zorn also went to the trouble of learning all the name brand jeans his players were wearing.

Of course, none of this works if you go out and lose games. But Zorn's willingness to show his human side has helped make this a relatively smooth transition.

Joe Gibbs is great and all, but I'm not sure he ever eased down his designer jeans to demonstrate the "sag" look.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 1, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

No updates yet, Alex. Players are back today and practicing so, you know, stay nimble.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 1, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

beep beep, peeps

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 1, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | September 30, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

When Zorn said that I think he had Terminology and Blocking Scheme. Instead of forcing the players to re-learn the run game, he used all the terminology they were used to, and if you use the same terminology, you are going to be using the same blocking fronts.

So he can create new plays and still work within the Saunders terminology and basic scheme.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 1, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Mornin, re-watched the game last night on NFL Network, came away with some things:

Rogers had a really good game after the first quarter. He seems to improving by leaps and bounds.

Jcamp looked GREAT. You could see him go through his progressions, primary reciever, secondary receiver, he never panicked, which was HUGE.

The DLine was SOOOO close to having a number of sacks, if not for Romo's elusivenss. They really did put him under a lot of duress during that game.

I watched Jansen, and he really did play well. His pass blocking wasn't the greatest, and I think Zorn said he got walked back into the qb once or twice, but he played solid. Part of that, to me, is that I think he's a mean old bastard on the field. I think he enjoys run blocking, because it means he can take his guy and just grind him into dust.

RThomas played a heck of a game as well. Sometimes we forget that he missed most of last year as well...

Thats all I've got...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 1, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

beep beep, peeps

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 1, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

what the @#$ does that mean??

Posted by: chris_rollins2k3 | October 1, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

chris, "beep beep" is this blog community's shorthand to announce that a new thread has been posted and the conversation should move over there...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 1, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Then Springs pulled a sharpie out of his sock and wrote all over T.O.'s couch.

Posted by: theskinnypost | October 1, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse