Springs Looks to Shockey to Step Up

Shawn Springs said the New Orleans Saints still have ample weapons on offense even with Marques Colston out. Springs praised Coach Sean Payton for using his players in ways best tied to their skills. Colston excelled in making plays on intermediate routes, in traffic, and Springs looks to tight end Jeremy Shockey to fill in.

"Now I think they might use Shockey more in that role [Colston] played," Springs said.

Springs said he is 100 percent again after missing last week with a bruised calf. He said it felt as if he had been "whacked across the leg with a two-by-four" but is feeling good now.

Carlos Rogers, coming off major knee surgery, ended up playing 70 snaps on Thursday, but held up well. Springs was "praying" Rogers wouldn't suffer a setback in his absence, and is eager to rejoin him on the field Sunday.
...
LB Marcus Washington said he will likely be limited in practice this week while dealing with hip problems, but expects to play.

He was used sparingly on third down against the Giants and said he is not.a part of the top nickel unit, whether fully healthy or not. Washington said he was not given a reason for the change, but figured it's "because of the other guys we have who can play in nickel."

With the arrival of Jason Taylor and Rocky McIntosh back from knee surgery, Washington is not not on the field when extra DBs arrive. (Given how neither Taylor nor McIntosh looks to be 100 percent, I have to say I'm a litle surprised by that. Coverage has never been McIntosh's forte, and though he made some strides last year he still has a ways to go. I figure he will get challenged there a lot on third down.)

After years of injuries, I'm sure the staff wants to help coax a full season from Washington and we'll be keeping a close eye on the overall LB play.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 10, 2008; 12:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How Will Teams Attack Redskins' D
Next: Taylor Still Isn't Near 100 Percent

Comments

nads

Posted by: nads guy | September 10, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I sat in a meeting yesterday, and the speaker used this word 4 times in 13 minutes...............

process.

Posted by: cej75024 | September 10, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

+++ Springs praised Coach Sean Payton for using his players in ways best tied to their skills. ++++

What a novel approach. Use your guys in ways that utilize their skills. wonder what other team could try it

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

You cant be to worried abou Shokey, the guy is a perpetual hot headed choker. if he dosent drop a crucial pass then hell flip out and get refs pissed so they make calls against him. Springs in the lineup is a must him and Fletcher are the two most imortant players on our D.

Posted by: Stu | September 10, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

To me, and I am just a "guy"..a "fan"...but our LB unit is the weakest on the entire team.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 10, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

You cant be to worried abou Shokey, the guy is a perpetual hot headed choker. if he dosent drop a crucial pass then hell flip out and get refs pissed so they make calls against him.++++

Posted by: Stu | September 10, 2008 12:40 PM

Or catch a pass over the middle and pull a Brandon Jacobs over LaRon

Posted by: cej75024 | September 10, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Lemar Marshall?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Reggie Bush, is he still bangin' Kim Kardashian?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Agreed with anon on utilizing the talents you have.

Betts, Evans, Wilson, Thomas, Cooley, all these guys need to be more, much more in the case of Cooley, involved.

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

cej75024:

Take comfort knowing that you are working for a highly progressive company with a vision.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Reggie Bush, is he still bangin' Kim Kardashian?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 12:44 PM ++

Let's hope he bangs her late Saturday and pulls a muscle.....hold on, let me pull out that video she made with her old boyfriend Ray-J......

Good for Reggie

Posted by: cej75024 | September 10, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 10, 2008 12:43 PM

You are right, well except for the Qb play, O line, D line and WR that is.

Posted by: Da Truef | September 10, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Lemar Marshall?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 12:44 PM

I still don't know why they haven't signed him. Knows the defense, played pretty well when he was here. One of the first FAs I signed on Madden...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

While I am not completely sold on our linebacking corps, I have to agree that they are further along at this point than our QB's and WR's.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Reggie Bush, is he still bangin' Kim Kardashian?
Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 12:44 PM ++

Good for Reggie
Posted by: cej75024 | September 10, 2008 12:46 PM
I watch the Soup, so I know she's only famous for having a big a$$ and a sex tape, but was the sex tape really good or something? She seems pretty much like a dumba$$ to me otherwise.....

Posted by: dlhaze | September 10, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Most likely for the same reason that the other 30+ teams in the league have passed on him.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

She seems pretty much like a dumba$$ to me otherwise.....

Posted by: dlhaze | September 10, 2008 12:49 PM +++

and.....? lol

Posted by: cej75024 | September 10, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Dont you love how when the boss is out, other people automatically think they are in charge. I got some jack off that I work with sending me emails to go fix this and go check that. I sent him back an email and copied my boss telling him last time I checked I do not work for you go check it out yourself.

The funny thing is I have 8 years more experience then this jump, and he is trying to tell Flounder what to do, Hell no.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

you really told him, Flounder. I am sure your boss will be really proud.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

cej75024, I thought that video was a fake. I know I keep my "tapes" in a safe. I have aspirations to be famous one day, wouldn't want one of my Saturday night escapades to come back and haunt me.

brown, not having Marshall on the roster baffles me. He had 284 tackles from '03-'06. He's at least worth a "look".

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if he is still with them, but didn't Lemar get picked up by the Bengals?

Posted by: dlhaze | September 10, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Flounder,

I am, in fact, not proud. You're fired for CCing me like a little b*tch.

Posted by: Flounder's Boss | September 10, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

we need to play Jason Taylor at linebacker.

Posted by: talkshowhost | September 10, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps given your 8 years seniority, you should have recognized the need yourself, and taken a little initiative, instead of waiting for the new guy to help you along. Good riddance, slacker.

Posted by: Flounder's Boss | September 10, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

When is Horton going to take over for Reed Doughty

Posted by: Reece | September 10, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Shockey is an overrated tool. If you're worried about him, Brees is gonna murder us with or witout Colston. Shockey is the LAST person in their offense I would worry about.

Posted by: virtueandvice | September 10, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse