Springs Returns to Practice at "90 percent"

From Jason Reid

Cornerback Shawn Springs returned to practice after sitting out the opener because of a bruised shin and "looked good," Coach Jim Zorn said. "He was probably 90 percent out there. He had a nice interception today. He looked like he was moving very good on his leg."

Springs was injured last week in practice when strong-side linebacker Marcus Washington inadvertently kicked him. "I told him he didn't want me to shine on Thursday" against the New York Giants, Springs joked. "It was just an accident. It was a mistake.

"In practice, we just run to the ball really hard and things like that happen. I'm quite sure in my career, I've probably had some friendly fire on a few teammates. If the game was on Sunday, I probably would have played. No doubt, I would have played."

The Redskins this week face the New Orleans Saints in their FedEx Field opener. On Sunday, New Orleans defeated Tampa Bay, 24-20, and Washington's secondary figures to be busy against Pro Bowl quarterback Drew Brees and the Saints' productive offense, Springs said.

"I think it's a good challenge," he said. "You've got to be ready to play, obviously. He [Brees] put up [343 yards], almost 400 yards, on Tampa, and they pride themselves on being a very good pass-defense team. He did a good job against them."

New Orleans running back Reggie Bush rushed for 51 yards on 14 carries and had game-highs with eight receptions for 112 yards. With 7 minutes 35 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter, Bush caught a swing pass from Brees and outran the Buccaneers' defense for a 42-yard touchdown that provided the go-ahead score.

"Just with the ball in his hands," Bush is dangerous, Springs said.
...
Zorn expressed excitement about the return of rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, who practiced today.

"Good!" Zorn said. "I've got great news today. All this rest, and just the specific work he's been doing in the training room, all the rehab, has really been helping him, bringing him along.

"We're excited about it. As we work, we'll get him involved. There's no way, I don't think anybody can play both offense, defense and even special teams unless they participate."

Kelly, who had arthroscopic knee surgery Aug. 4, sat out the preseason because of hamstring and knee problems, so "he needs the work," Zorn said. "Other guys can get away with just partial practice time, the veterans, but a young player like Malcolm has to be there day in and day out. If he's 100 percent, or even if he's close to 100 percent, he'll get practice reps."
...
Linebacker Khary Campbell sat out practice because of a leg injury. "He's going to be fine, but it was hindering his mobility," Zorn said. "It wasn't necessary to get him out today. Hopefully, we'll get him out on Wednesday" when practice resumes.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 8, 2008; 3:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fletcher's Stretch of Games Goes On
Next: Me And Coleman On The Radio

Comments

What is sports guru talking about? Oh yeah another in epidemic of Anonymity and Mass Reach.

Posted by: Skinz | September 8, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

We're gonna need him. Saints next week, Dallas in 3 weeks.

Romo would have hung 50 on us yesterday.

Posted by: Joe Gibbs | September 8, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Vegas has this game as a pick'em.

They know something I don't....looks like free money to me.

Posted by: GAD | September 8, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

If you're Eric Mangini, and this Sunday you find yourself and your team winning by a large margin, do you run the score up??

I know I would. I'd grind that team into dust....

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 3:39 PM

I hate to see Brady get knocked out for the season, but man I bet there are more than a few teams that will be drooling over the possibility of getting back at Belichek.

Posted by: skinswest | September 8, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Good news about Kelly. I'm happy to hear that, as well as the news about SSprings.

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone post all the Redskins zingers from Peter King this morning:

Quick hit thoughts of the week:

b. I'll just say this: If Jason Taylor was anywhere near healthy, he's going to have a bad season. Maybe very bad. I watched him through the binoculars on 30 or so snaps Thursday night. No burst whatsoever.

c. Another Example of King Idiocy Dept.: I picked Washington to be an NFC Wild Card. Rally time, Men of Zorn.

What I liked this week:

a. Clinton Portis is one heck of a blocker.

b. Does London Fletcher make every tackle?

What I didn't like this week:

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 3:27 PM

You would think that would be his first point with how obvious some of you feel it is. Strange...

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 3:54 PM

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"Has there ever been a luckier team that the Patriots? They barely won their super bowls and have played in a week division for a decade. It cheeses me off.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 3:55 PM "

yeah, no. Not at all. I would kill to have The Skins be as "lucky" at the Patriots. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Posted by: The Truth | September 8, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I just said the same thing about King! He's a complete moron who admitted being a big part of the reason Monk took so long to be in the HOF.

Wear it and be proud, Petey. Good work.

Ugh.

Posted by: Jenna | September 8, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

TT,
Both statements are true but its not "luck. "

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Truth, falling into Tom Brady, with a 6th round pick, and for that matter not the FIRST 6th round pick they had that year, is the HORSE-SHOE of all HORSE-SHOES.

They've been VERY LUCKY.

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

There was a time when the NFC east was "lucky" for the Eagles like that.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | September 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly just said he will resume full practice today. Kelly, who sat out the preseason because of hamstring and knee problems, expects to make his long-awaited pro debut this week in the Redskins' home opener against New Orleans.

"For sure, that's the plan," said Kelly, who had arthroscopic knee surgery Aug. 4. "Just going to go out there and see what happens. I'm ready."

By Cindy Boren | September 8, 2008; 12:24 PM ET

Wrong answer, Malcolm.

The correct answer is, "Just go out there and make something good happen."

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"Funny how notorious media haters like Peter King can, and do, pick on the Redskins for many, many, many things - yet I don't see anything about Jason Campbell being a poor quarterback.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 3:54 PM "

thats because peter king raved about jason campbell in his redskins training camp post card...

Posted by: X-E | September 8, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

psps23, I'm sorry I've deeply offended you about Campbell, but I'm also sorry its true, 4 years and not much of anything to show for it. As the saying goes, when you have the facts (me) pound the facts, when you don't have the facts (you) pound the table! (also you)

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

4 Years? I'd say a better representation of his career is 21 games.

He didn't play his first year and 1/2 in the league.

Would you rather be right about Campbell, or would you rather he worked out and because an asset for this team?

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:11 PM

It's a good saying Z the only problem is that you have an opinion not facts. You know the old saying about the 2 things everyone has.

Posted by: Skinz | September 8, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many marriage proposals Cindy Boren gets throughout a regular NFL season?

Posted by: Pretzel Boy | September 8, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:11 PM

Facts?

You said Jason Campbell should be benched "for consistently throwing to the wrong routes" and "for waiting to long to check down". Facts? Really? Where'd you find these written?

I said Jason Campbell played decent given his surroundings, as evidence by his 60% pass completion percentage, 1 TD, 0 INT, and >80 passer rating.

As greg would say, don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Way too many, thank you very much

Posted by: Cindy's Father | September 8, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

The Skins offense has been stagnant for about a decade. Do you want Brunell back? Think Collins is the answer? How about Ramsey? Maybe we can talk Heath Shuler out of politics?

All you JC haters need to get a grip. His play is very comparable to Eli Manning, inconsistent but promising. And Eli's had a lot more stability in his career. Let's see where JC is by week 8 before ya'll start whining to turn the team over to another over-the-hill vet or unproven QB who takes another 4 years to develop.

Posted by: Alan | September 8, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan | September 8, 2008 4:20 PM

Too late, the whining started long ago.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan | September 8, 2008 4:20 PM

Posted by: Fair enough | September 8, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I've been a defender of Campbell. But he did look like a fish out of water vs the Jints.

I wish it wasn't the case, but turns out game 1 was pretty much just a learning experience. Game 2 is when we see what lessons were learned.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 3:54 PM

Two things: King has been pretty even-handed with the 'Skins lately. King has always been a big JC supporter. When he was drafted King wrote "I think he will be one of the five best players in this draft" (he also blasted the 'Skins for paying too much).

On his training camp tour King had nothing bad to say about the 'Skins and he had a lot of love for JC. Picking them as a playoff team is not the mark of a 'Skins hater.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Try and use some logic every now and again...

Posted by: Greg

Oh wise one, Greg. Logic dictates you are a football fan since you are on this blog, it also dictates that you like the Skins, since, again, you are on this RI blog. I submit, as logic would dictate, you went to public school, since you obviously can't read! I said "I just don't think we can afford him." The remainder of my post goes to the current FO's proclivity of going after high priced veterans at all costs.

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

So question. Does losing Brady mean no supebowl for NE this year?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Dude, are you kidding me?

What was that from 8 this morning? I've moved on, and you should too.....

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm encouraged by the news that Jason's going to be in shotgun, simply because it means that Zorn recognizes something needs to change. The fact that the change in question puts Jason in a bit more comfortable position can only be a good thing. We won't know if it helps until we see it, but it shouldn't hurt.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

next week we will be calling for them to run a wing play... who knows.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Alex, oh yeah, no SB for the pats. Maybe no Division Title, maybe not even finishing over .500. The bills absolutely SMOKED the Seahawks yesterday....

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Count me in the "pro JC" camp. All the excuses about new offense, new coach aside, let's give the guy some more time to see what he can do. I am not saying he is the answer, but I also do not think he is as bad as some folks are saying. It's going to take time. Zorn likes him, and he did show some flashes there in the game. Let's face it, the offense as a whole played poorly except for one series. You can't bench a guy for one loss in the season opener. If we go past 0-6 this year, maybe give the Todd or Colt a chance. Todd looked pretty dismal in pre-season, too. I think if you bench Campbell too soon, it could crush him and he'd be done.....

Posted by: dlhaze | September 8, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 4:26 PM

King also had a lot of love for the choice of Jim Zorn as the new coach and offensive guru. That didn't stop him from giving him his criticism.

The point is that there are far more important aspects of the skins' game that need fixing than Jason Campbell at QB. As I posted before, Campbell hit his receivers for receptions on 60% of his passes, threw a TD, only took 1 sack, and didn't turn the ball over. Inserting Todd Collins (or even worse, Colt Brennan) would do nothing to improve run-blocking, run-defense, defending elite WRs, having our WRs not give up on routes, have our coach call more appropriate plays for down and distance, or have our coach be more controlled in his tempo during certain game situations.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

What was that from 8 this morning? I've moved on, and you should too.....

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:30 PM

lets see. corkczar issues. al zeke issues. beating dead horses issues . yes you're a good one at moving on slick.

Posted by: pot meets the kettle | September 8, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Springs update by the way. I didn't want to seem ungrateful.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

he's been in the league for three years this is his 4th, why should I just throwout the first year and a half, if he was so good he would have been playing over terrible brunel right? Or maybe you know better than Gibbs...what I know is he has lost more games than he has won as a starter, he couldn't beat out Brunel when it was obvious to everyone in the world that Brunel wasn't very good anymore, when our season went in the tank he finally got to play, and didn't do very much, and last year he sputtered for most of the season then got outshined by TC. Now, going back to the system he has had his most success in ever, and after an entire offseason of supposedly amazing hard work and study, after an entire training camp 5 preseason games (one more than everyone else but the Colts) he comes out and looks lost, has a terrible game despite decent protection and decent running. (one sack and Portis was ok, not great but ok) How long do we keep waiting for this guy to be good? He's had one good game in his career, that was Philly on the road last year, everything before and after that has been below average......

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

Seahawks went 3-5 on the road last year. They were like a completely different team when traveling versus when at home. That qrowd at Qwest definitely makes a difference for them.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

"if he was so good he would have been playing over terrible brunel right"

You don't know much about Joe Gibbs do you??

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Cindy is chatting now. Get on over there and support her!

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 8, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:43 PM

Can't I just rest in peace?

Posted by: Dead Horse | September 8, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 4:39 PM

psps23 kickin' it on the logic tip.

Good post.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"if he was so good he would have been playing over terrible brunel right"

You don't know much about Joe Gibbs do you??

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:44 PM

Bump!

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"if he was so good he would have been playing over terrible brunel right"

You don't know much about Joe Gibbs do you??

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:44 PM

Or better yet, if Todd Collins was so great he would be playing over terrible Jason Campbell, right?

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2 - disagree on your analysis of Campbell's first 1 and 1/2 years - no, he would not have started over Brunell - Joe Gibbs will ALWAYS go with the veteran and Brunell was his handpicked veteran - see the short career of Patrick Ramsey as a starter under Gibbs 2.0 for a reference. Gibbs was almost forced to drag Brunell off the field.

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 8, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

"Agreed on the injuries, but you have to say that karma is a b*tch, and agreed, about teams foaming at the mouth at the thought of getting a measure of revenge...."

Yeah, don't be surprised to see the Jets win that division now with Favre.

Sad thing is the Pats are STILL better then the Skins even w/o Brady. :(

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | September 8, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2008 4:42 PM

Yea, why the phuc are we playing them out there...again?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 4:47 PM

Bump! again

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

that's fine if you think that, but I see JC much the same as Ramsey (one great game against TN as a rookie gone and a backup shortly thereafter) and I don't see us throwing big bucks at JC at the end of this year when its decision time.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Sad thing is the Pats are STILL better then the Skins even w/o Brady. :(

- Ray

And just as old.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

You can't bench a guy for one loss in the season opener...

Posted by: dlhaze | September 8, 2008 4:38 PM

Gibbs pulled Ramsey faster than that.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Dont hate on Campbell hate on Zorn calling plays like a jackass.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

gosh dang it dead horse, apparently I haven't beaten you enough...

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 4:47 PM

Bump! again

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 4:49 PM

maybe he should be, I don't understand why Zorn came right in and said JC is the starter, there's no question who the better athlete is but there is a big question to me who the better QB is. And if GG had stayed as HC and Saunders as OC who here thinks that Todd wouldn't have gotten a fair shot in an open competition?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Dont hate on Campbell hate on Zorn calling plays like a jackass.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 4:52 PM

Actually I hate on Danny. JC is JC and Zorn is Zorn. It's Danny's job to make sure that HC and QB are compatible/competent.

Posted by: Skinz | September 8, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

LOL, I've had no problems with al lately ....

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:43 PM

WTF?? I must not be trying hard enough.

Boldin: 8 catches in week 1

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

@ psp323 or whatever If peter king bashed JC he would have to been a retraction of the love letter he wrote about him during training camp. Someone with his EGo will never admit he is wrong. Let's hope Zorn isn't cut from the same mold

Posted by: ha | September 8, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

You can't bench a guy for one loss in the season opener...

Posted by: dlhaze | September 8, 2008 4:38 PM

Gibbs pulled Ramsey faster than that.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 4:52 PM

You can if he looks as bad as JC looked. I know it isn't going to happen and I'm not saying it should......yet, but if he looks like that for 3 or 4 more games he absolutely should get the hook and I don't know why that scares everybody so much. The NFL is a season to season league and there isn't that many games you can piss away waiting for a potentially good player to actually play well. And if he never gets it this year does he automatically get to start next year just because it was year one? Do we waste another year waiting?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:53 PM

i'll let you have at this one greg.

Posted by: if ifs and buts were... | September 8, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Collins was never going to get a fair shot at the job, ever. Mark it down. If the Packers were willing to let Favre walk so they wouldn't lose Aaron Rodgers do you think the skins would have essentially let JC walk away after this year and perhaps become a star for Todd Collins?

No, me neither...

Posted by: Skinz | September 8, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm seriously asking this question psps23, if JC continues to look that bad for the next 3 or 4 games would you be against giving Todd a shot? and if they don't and he plays all season and we're terrible and he looks bad most of the year with a bright spot here or there do you think he deserves a contract and to remain the starter?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tandler to da Post | September 8, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Give the QB a chance he has been thrown all over like a rag doll we find it so easy to blame the QB for losses but protection was horrible WR's werent getting open yeh he held on to the ball too long but this is a fresh new offense.. All of you complaining about the QB and demanding his head are the same people that complain about the inconstiancy of the players and how we have different player every year pick one dont flip flop

Posted by: DRK | September 8, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:53 PM

This would be the only way Collins would get a shot (in Saunders' offense). Every other team passed on him on the open market. Todd Collins is not the answer unless JC goes down to injury this year. He is a system specific quarterback. While I'm not saying that JC is the answer long term, I think the team needs to fully vet him for at least one year in a system.

Posted by: Nico | September 8, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:53 PM

Maybe so, and maybe that's the reason GG and/or Saunders were let go.

But I think that's one thing Vinny and Snyder have gotten right about this team this offseason; they weren't going anywhere with Todd Collins as a QB. For a couple games as an unknown, sure he could be great. Maybe he could even take a team to the playoffs. But he wasn't winning a Super Bowl. And he wasn't a long-term solution. Regardless of whether or not you think Campbell is the real deal, they NEED him to blow up in order to enter the elite of this league.

That is unless you're satisfied with a wild-card berth and possibly one win in the postseason before getting knocked out. Personally, I'd rather hold out for more.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

one sack that he ran into and only a couple other hits the whole game aren't what I call thrown around like a rag doll. And everybody says the receivers didn't get open, I watched the game on TV, as I assume most of you did, I didn't see much of what was going on downfield so I don't know if the wrs were open or not, what I do know is 3 out of 13 on 3rd downs, is TERRIBLE and not getting a 1st down until your punter is roughed halfway through the 2nd quarter is TERRIBLE.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 5:05 PM

we agree on something, the NFL is a coach and QB driven league, you need great ones of each to be elite, obviously the book is still out on Zorn, I will give him more than one game as a HC and first time playcaller before I jump on him too much, but JC has been there he has experience, he has played in this system before and he did nothing impressive in that game....nothing. I'm serious, what is your time table on how long we wait? No matter what sink or swim with him this year? If that's the case and we sink do we resign and give him another year?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:42 PM

this post is absurd. that is like saying if Tom brady was so good why didnt he beat drew bledsoe for his job, and if drew didnt get hurt, brady would have been pulling a todd collins ( a career backup). it did not matter how well JC played, Gibbs did not like to play rookies and young guys at QB.

your post was just plain studip. Drew brees didnt even become a good QB until his 4th year of continuous playing time ( the reason they drafted Philip Rivers).

Posted by: Great One | September 8, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 5:03 PM

That depends on what you mean by JC looking bad. I personally don't think JC was the one who looked terrible last week. It was the entire offense, starting with Zorn, that looked terrible.

Now, if JC ends up consistently throwing 2-3 INTs per game vs. only a TD or so, then I'd pull him towards the middle of the season. But I don't think he'll do that. And I don't think you'd think he will either.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

As I think about it, the backstory gets more interesting. Drafting Campbell was Gibbs call. This team is a Gibbs/Spaghetti Gang construct. But it never was a constructed to be a WCO ... until Gibbs left.

I'm guessing it took Vinny about 0.11 seconds to want to switch out of Gibbs offense and insert his own philosophy. Which explains why he hired the coordinator before he hired the coach.

In GB, mgmt couldn't wait to see Favre leave town. They wanted it to be 'their team' and that was never going to happen until Brett left town. Seems to parallel Joe leaving and Vinny taking over.

It feels like a weird power struggle -- a bit like fighting ghosts.

Trouble is, guys like Zorn and Campbell might just be pawns in it all.

Vinny, for all he is Dan's buddy, isn't going to feel secure if this year blows up. Dan will want Cowher and Cowher will want to have a personnel guy he believes in. Which isn't Vinny. Plus, Cowher isn't a WCO sort.

Vinny has a lot more to lose in this than few games of raquetball.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

But JC wasn't exactly playing behind Drew Bledsoe here, he was behind Brunel, and when Brady got his shot as a rookie he was great right away.....when JC got his shot as a second year player he was......?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Vinny has a lot more to lose in this than few games of raquetball.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 5:13 PM

EXCELLENT Post all around, and in this scenario, which I think is scarily possible I actually do see JC sticking around because to me, JC most resembles Big Ben in this league. A big guy that is mobile throws a great deep ball and make things happen out of the pocket. JC is perfect for a power running deep passing game which is Cowher all the way. If this were to happen, I think JC stays, regardless of what happens this year and I think they take another QB in the middle of the draft to push him. But to me this system is a bad match for the personnel and will be Vinny's downfall.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nico | September 8, 2008 5:03 PM

Are you the same guy who sales cars?

('Hi, I'm Nico and I want ot buy your car', as the radio ad goes)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

blah blah blah

Lotsa talking heads as usual with unrealistic expectations for this year.

Give ZORN some time.....Its a new system, a new team, and a ROUGH schedule. If we win 2 of our 1st 5 I'll be impressed.

The REDSKINS have begun their youth movement and are better off having done so.

They've decided to build through the draft and update the offense to a modern one.

The defense wasn't that horrid last week....

Let's hope the drops discontinue (dropped passes, dropped INTs, etc)>

I think it's foolhardy to think that we would pick up from where the team was last year. Gibbs knew that their performance was the farthest he could take them and wisely chose to retire again.

The problems on the skins couldn't all be fixed in a single year...but with an influx of youth and a chance to clear some dead cap space....we'll have to see how the season goes.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | September 8, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 5:14 PM

Tom Brady was not good his rookie, he managed the game and if you remeber the Defense was stingy, and as a matter of they were a Tuck rule away from never being a dynasty, and even further more if he was so good, the patriots lost to the skins during the spurrier era- I mean the enemic offense and no defense spuriere era. Brady has gotten better every year.

People have such short term memories.

Posted by: Great One | September 8, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

People have such short term memories.

Posted by: Great One | September 8, 2008 5:26 PM

I agree. People always...wait, what were we talkin about

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Look zjfr2 - I know you really want to say that JC sucks - and a body of evidence is accumulating that may yet prove that out - however, I think that most observers think that he has not had a very reasonable and consistent path to things here - we saw some really good things last year, and some bad plays - now it's a new system - so you've got to let him take a step back...but all agree that this year is the last year that he gets cut any slack.

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 8, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

It's. Been. One. Game.

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 8, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

The REDSKINS have begun their youth movement and are better off having done so.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | September 8, 2008 5:25 PM

Youth movement or win now? Signing Jason Taylor is 100% about winning now. Keeping 10 rookies, most who didn't show much in the preseason is about youth. Confusing? Yup.

This team has plenty of talent. Its the same guys as last year and just about all of our loses were in very close games. Talent isn't the issue ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

to the 2 posters in TX ...
Houston, we have a problem ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Seattle just lost Nate Burleson for the season. They have nothing at the WR position, and some folks were picking them to win the Super Bowl this year.

1. You've got to wonder how they wasted their draft? They could have taken two wide receivers in the second round like the 'Skins did, but they got nothing.

2. 'Skins better sign McMullen fast. He'll be in Seattle if they don't.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey P Diddy, can I crash with you while I try out for the Seahawks. I buy the beer. Thanks.

Posted by: Jimmy Farris | September 8, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

2. 'Skins better sign McMullen fast. He'll be in Seattle if they don't.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 5:38 PM

What's their cap space look like? Might see the Q there.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:53 PM

Maybe so, and maybe that's the reason GG and/or Saunders were let go.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 5:05 PM

Do you really have any clue what you are saying? What evidence was there that Zorn was going to take the offense to the next level like two or more playoff wins? Just as Collins was the perfect backup for the Saunder's offense Campbell was drafted to fit into the qb slot of Saunder's scheme. If Williams and Saunders were here Campbell would have two more years of participation in an offense that he could grasp instead of starting with the basics of an offense that it seems like no one on this team grasps. Does it not seem strange to you that after all the minicamps and 5 preseason games that Zorn realizes that his starting qb is more comfortable in the shotgun?

If Campbell does not fit this offense then what have the Skins accomplished? Next year they will be forced to spend their number one pick on a new quarterback instead of all the other blatant needs that they have.

Posted by: Dale | September 8, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Michael Wilbon: What I've said, and I'll say until Sunday when events could overtake opinions, is that I think Federer is done as far as winning Grand Slam events.

Posted by: Just sayin'? | September 8, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan | September 8, 2008 4:20 PM

here's a guess: 2-6. And it won't be all his fault, but you'll be byotching louder than anyone I imagine

Posted by: hader | September 8, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Boo on Wilbon

Posted by: Go Federer Go!! | September 8, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

2. 'Skins better sign McMullen fast. He'll be in Seattle if they don't.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 5:38 PM

Not sure why McMullen isn't here. Kelly hasn't even played a down at the NFL level and the #3 and 4 WRs combined for 5 yards. What is Vinny waiting for?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 5:34 PM

I think you can both, and in most sports I think that's the goal. constantly have a youth movement and get the big name vets to a point.

The goal needs to be that when you get a JT or whoever that the kids are taught to watch and learn from him. He gets to the weight room at 5:00 am you get there at 5:00 am. Question is are we doing that? I don't know.

In fairness JT was younger than Daniels.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dale | September 8, 2008 5:41 PM

Um, no, incorrect. Campbell was drafted in 2005. Saunders was brought in in 2006. Campbell was drafted to fit Gibbs' scheme, not Saunders'.

Snyder and Cerrato brought in Zorn to mold JC into an elite quarterback. Who knows whether it will work. All I was saying is that they had the right idea (although I don't think they needed to hire him as HC, but again, we'll see how it works out).

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Zeke - Are you referring to Ike, or to the Texans?

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 8, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Does losing Brady mean no supebowl for NE this year?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 4:30 PM

I'm thinking no post-season.

Funny that people are talking about sending The Todd to New England. The Todd is from NE and his family (wife and kids) live there. And at Michigan, The Todd actually had much better stats than Brady. dcsween says, keep The Todd in DC.

Tricky matchups this week. The Saints have a second round CB starting, Tracy something. He had a good outing against Garcia and the Buccs receivers, but I still think the Skins should pick on him.

On other criticisms of the Skins that peeps have had here today (or, at least, the legitimate ones ... no point in responding to the excess postage up here hating on Jason Campbell), I also am hoping that Cooley gets a little more action ... and that he plays up to his Pro Bowl billing and recent contract numbers ... maybe even block once in a while. Otherwise, give me Yoder* or give me death.

* Yoder is invisible to opposing defenses who see him only as a "blocking" tight end. This is the reason why Yoder catches TD passes for 30+ yards.

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Catch long TD passes I do.

Posted by: Todd Yoda | September 8, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 4:42 PM

Well said and great points.... agreed

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

"if he was so good he would have been playing over terrible brunel right"

You don't know much about Joe Gibbs do you??

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:44 PM

and you don;t know much about football

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

2. 'Skins better sign McMullen fast. He'll be in Seattle if they don't.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 5:38 PM

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 5:47 PM

McMullen is the new Anthony Mix up here. Yes, he lead the league in preseason yards (or maybe it was catches), but he got thrown to alot b/c he was on the bubble. He dropped plenty. If its not thrown into his body, he drops 3 out of 4 times. His weakness ... and its a big one ... is hanging onto the ball with his hands alone (outstretched arms). Good luck to him in Seattle, but the Skins have moved on. Just need about 4-5 weeks for all three of Moss/ARE/Thrash to stay healthy (so the two picks can catch up on lost time), then the Skins have legit WR depth again.

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking no post-season.

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 5:50 PM

trade the Todd (Collins) for the Randy (Moss)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 4:39 PM

psps23 kickin' it on the logic tip.

Good post.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2008 4:45 PM

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only person who watched our playoff game against Seattle last year? Todd Collins did start and play that entire game and looked like a complete bum for 3 of 4 quarters. Until our O-line mans up and controls the line of scrimmage, which I haven't seen at all this year, no QB is going to be all the much better than JC is right now. Atleast if he gets out of the pocket JC can run a bit.

Posted by: Anotherwes | September 8, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

next week we will be calling for them to run a wing play... who knows.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 4:33 PM

The Redskins have a very good group of personnel to run the Single Wing. Tell Zorn to call me if he needs some advice on it.

Posted by: Knute | September 8, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

by the way...look what Romo has done already in a year and half starting...just like Campbell...except he produces.

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Nobody signed me yet. the way you all pimped me I should have teams kickin down my door.

Posted by: Anthony Mix | September 8, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze | September 8, 2008 4:38 PM

Let's trade Jason Campbell to the Patriots for a 1st round draft choice in 2009. Todd and Colt can lead the Skins to, um, something - and JC can start winning Super Bowl rings right away.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Posted by: Personnel Director | September 8, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze | September 8, 2008 4:38 PM

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Posted by: Personnel Director | September 8, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Give ZORN some time.....Its a new system, a new team, and a ROUGH schedule
=======

We've been waiting for a consistent winner since the early 90's. How much long should we have to wait?

Posted by: | September 8, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Are you all as sad as I am that my boyfriend, Tom Brady, is out for the season.

I'll try to cheer him up later tonight when we have our date.

Posted by: Chris Berman | September 8, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"So explain to me how TWO ROOKIE Qbs with 2 ROOKIE Head coaches can move their offense and throw Td passes and Campbell can't even get a first down? After being in the league for 4 years and learning this offense for almost a year?

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 5:56 PM "

Oh that is EASY, Leevi.....the Ravens were playing the Bengals and the Falcons were playing the Lions. I'm willing to bet if either team had played the Giants the outcome would have been vastly different.

And ENOUGH about Jason Campbell having played 4 years - he has NOT! Did not play his first year....barely any games his second and got hurt his 3rd season....all different offenses! And what a reach to say he has been in this offense for almost a year! Can you count???

Posted by: Lisa | September 8, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 5:56 PM

*************************************
Are you serious? They play on different teams with different offenses and defenses, with different coaches who played different teams with different offenses and defenses - sorry, but that's like comparing apples and oranges and expecting all rookies/players to be on the same level at the same time.

I know they ALL looked bad on Thursday night, but seriously, it was one away game.

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 8, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I hate the "blog fighting" that goes on in here, but Leevi, if you are that unhappy cheer for someone else. It's one thing to be critical, but come on.

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 8, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

+++While I'm on a tear, sports announcers and analysts everywhere need to stop frothing at the mouth over McNabb and Favre. They were up against 2 of the worst DEF in the league. Let's wait til they're tested before crowning them Co MVP.

Posted by: Jenna | September 8, 2008 3:58 PM+++

Amen sister. Neither one of these bozos has amounted to doodley in their entire careers.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 8, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Just sayin'? | September 8, 2008 5:43 PM

Michael Wilbon - still a fool.

Posted by: WaPo Readers | September 8, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

@zjfr2

How many times do you need to be reminded of how Joe Gibbs ran his team? Mark Brunell was worthless, and Gibbs STILL stuck with him out of loyalty. That's just how Gibbs is. As for Todd Collins, the only way he ever starts again is if JC goes down with injury. He is pocket passer and not a particularly good one. Yes, he had several good games when playing in a system he had 10 years to master but he is only good in that system. Had he been better in the K-Gun offense, the Buffalo Bills never would have gotten rid of him.

Furthermore, Todd Collins and JC have exactly the same amount of time in Zorn's version of WCO. Collins looked very uncomfortable in EVERY preseason outing; whereas JC looked comfortable in half of them. The best QB is the starter.

Also, you cannot underestimate the value of a solid O-Line. The Skins line was (and still is) old, and riddled with injury when JC stepped in for Brunell. When Brady stepped into Bledsoe's job, he inherited a talented, young line which has been healthy and largely intact since 2001.

I know watching the offense struggle year after year sucks, but continually changing things is the mark of a poorly managed team; something we are trying not to be anymore. I'd prefer to give JC three years in the same system before making a judgement. If he hasn't gotten it by then, then it's time to move on.

Posted by: AppleScience | September 8, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Knute'

Yay someone got it!

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 5:50 PM

Yoda, he of the Jedi Mind Tricks while pretending to block.

Posted by: Obi Wan | September 8, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Five preseason games and we figure out after game one that JC prefers the shotgun. Are you kidding me? Wake up, Redskins!

Posted by: don r | September 8, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AppleScience | September 8, 2008 6:12 PM

I'm all for some consistancy, but if JC doesn't show a marked improvement by the end of this year, 2 more after that sounds terribly painful.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Peed on nads

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | September 8, 2008 6:02 PM

Don't ask us - ask a Lions fan.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

++++a. Here's how you know Jason Taylor was not fit Thursday night: The first time he touched a Giant with the ball was on the 30th play of the game, 22 minutes in, when he tackled Brandon Jacobs.

What I liked this week:

a. Clinton Portis is one heck of a blocker.

b. Does London Fletcher make every tackle?

What I didn't like this week:

b. Speaking of bad play-calling, Zorn took the cake Thursday night. Sheesh. No no-huddle or hurry up in the last six minutes AT ALL, down two scores? It's like he was in a hurry to see the McCain speech.--PETER KING++++

Yeah sure King's a bozo and redskin hater, granted.

But what exactly did he get wrong here? I watched Taylor in preseason and in the Giants game an , except for his two "assists" he rarely came near the QB or the runner.

Portis IS a helluva blocker.

Fletcher is the 'skins leading tackler.

Zorn called an awful game with very poor clock management.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 8, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 6:15 PM

The end of the year is 15 games from now. Problem is the people calling to hit the red button now.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Hello? Is this thing on?

Yes, we have a few problems that Vinny Testosteroni and DS should be able to figure out by now:

> Jason Taylor is a nice addition BUT HE’S NOT A BIG, STRONG-SIDE D.E. LIKE PHILLIP DANIELS. He’s a 2nd Andre Carter – not what we needed. Duh.
> We need 2 big, young, monster DT’s. We’re playing 2nd stringers. Duh.
> We need a couple more big, young, talented OL guys. Heyer and Jansen are both 2nd stringers and the other guys are aging, we need 1-2 more first stringers. Plus we want this to be our strongest unit – dominant. Duh.
> Santana’s still great, but we need another great WR to complement him. Randle El is good but 2nd level and Thrash should be a # 4. The draft was poor at WR, rich on linemen. We should have gotten a strong WR in free agency. Duh.
> Springs is still great, but we need another great CB to complement him (plus he’s getting old). Rogers and Smoot should be # 3 and 4. Duh.

These, as that idiot Rumsfeld used to say (his only good quote, and I’m sure he stole it), are 5 minute decisions, and the first 4 minutes are for coffee.

But here’s the big one. And it’s also easy. JC ain’t the guy. He’s not tough, he’s got a 5-minute wind up & delivery, he’s not fast mentally or physically, he’s indecisive. Ever read the book “Blink”? Stop overanalyzing, just do it. Stop being hopeful about JC, guys. Hope isn’t a strategy.

And guess what? We just may have a Joe Montana on the bench: Colt Brennan. He’s the opposite of JC: tough, decisive, quick mentally and physically, goes to 2nd and 3rd reads fast, and… SUPER accurate. One of the most accurate passers in college football history. 71% overall in 3 years. And… he smoked JC in the preseason: of all 53 NFL QB’s, his preseason stats were:

> Ranked 7 overall (vs. 37 for JC)
> Rating 110 (vs. 71 for JC)
> Completion % of 68 (vs. 59 for JC)
> 3 TD’s (vs. 1 for JC)
> 0 INT’s (vs. 1 for JC)

He’s smart, fast, aggressive, and he just doesn’t miss his receivers, over and over again. And he’s 6’3”.

Do these things and the Redskins will be winning Superbowls again. Vinny, I’ll take your job now, but for 3 times the base salary and a % of the gate and merchandising. Call me, Danny.

~ Long-time Redskin Fan (now in LA) and Executive Management Guru for Hundreds of Companies

Posted by: Problem Solved | September 8, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

"Except Vinny has Joe's guys trying to run Vinny's philosophy with an unknown for a HC."

That's assuming Vinny has a philosophy. He doesn't. Sorry, but the guy is a poor excuse for a talent evaluator. When Carmen Policy turned out the lights in SF, there was one guy who got left in the bathroom closet. Yup, that'd be your boy. When Marty kicked his can to the curb, you think some team, ANY team would have picked him up? No, sir. He spent the year sucking wind at ESPN.

This organization has morphed into a long line of sycophants and yes-men, and that's just the way Danny wants it. Gibbs knew it too, but was willing to sacrifice his legacy because he loves the Redskins tradition he was so fundamentally and integrally intertwined with. Snyder knows he's got a waiting list for tickets and ad sponsorship out the wazoo, so he doesn't care if they win or not, at the end of the day. He cares about profitability, period. Until that dries up, we're stuck with lil' Danny and his evangelical crew of fricktards.

Vinny's no different than Danny, which is no surprise, really. What coaching candidate did the Skins have this go-around who was most likely to fall in line and just be glad he got a head gig, and make the fewest waves? Fassell? Fat chance. He'd have been happy to break back in to the head coaching ranks, but he would not have sat idly by during the draft while the Vin man ignored the D, and took reaches with nearly every selection (minus Reinhardt) until the seventh round, or allowed Vinny to prop up his own ego by keeping every one of them on roster day. And for those out there who think that Bill Cowher is going take this gig, well, you're out of your collective tree. There is no way, NO FRICKIN' WAY the Jawbone is coming here with the current set up. He's way too smart and way too comfortable eating that bomb BBQ in Carolina and playing with his kids to take a crap job like this one--and that's what it's become, a crap job. My family has had season tix to the Skins since the late 40's, and I speak with all due respect for how good a job it used to be, but the HC post in DC these days has been savaged since Snyder took the reins.

So we, as loyal fans, have to sit and wait around until the spiral downward comes to a blessed end. I think it's called "The Rapture" or something like that.

There, I said it. Carry on.

Posted by: pissed | September 8, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Problem Solved | September 8, 2008 6:21 PM

Thanks for your lengthy comments. Now you can get back to your Madden game - we'll do the rest here.

Posted by: Fans of Real Football | September 8, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

RETORT TO SLANDEROUS PIG

+++LOL, I've had no problems with al lately. However Cork lied and tried to pass it off as a chance to bash the team, and got called on it. He should have gotten called on that one....

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 4:43 PM+++

Kiss my rosie red sitdowner, doofus. What lie? I don't lie on this board, except the occasional white lie like telling you "nice post" or "Yes, that was a real cogent, thought, Greg" or "no one thinks you were dropped on your noggin as a kid, then, for good measure, dropped again."

Where did I lie? I don't spend my entire life sitting in my Mom's basement like you evidently do, so when you slander me, please reference the slander. If someone posted AS me and lied, I'll correct it. If I postd bad info, I’ll correct it.

But making unsupported accusations like that makes you a scum sucking pig, and that's NO lie, you disgustingy piece of horse hockey.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Seeing Vinny and hearing him talk makes me want to poop in a hat.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

@Problem Solved

Before I go any further, understand this: I like Colt Brennan and believe that he will be #2 on the QB depth chart by next season.

That said: He was a beast .... in Hawaii. Not Oklahoma, Alabama, USC, but Hawaii. Look, the fact that he put up record numbers means he has lots of raw talent. But the point is, he's still raw. He needs time. A large portion of the passes he completed in preseason only got completed because it was preseason and he played against scrubs. Toss him in against, say, the elite corners of the NFC East, he'll come back down to earth fast. Give him time. Give Campbell time. Between the two them, one is likely the solution.

Posted by: AppleScience | September 8, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 5:56 PM "

Posted by: Lisa | September 8, 2008 6:03 PM

Excuses are like....well you know the saying.....You can stat it to death all ya want bottom line is do you win or lose. I have seen many Qbs in the league win with less time than JC has had...

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 5:56 PM

*************************************

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 8, 2008 6:04 PM

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 8, 2008 6:06 PM

you so have blinders on....can you not see how JC has never produced? How can you even debate that fact? HOW? I ask you this...how many games has he won? How many INTS vs TDs has Jason had? How many comebcaks? Chokes in the redzone? How many times has the offense not been able to move the ball except against teams like you guys mentioned that suck? the lions etc...how many good teams has JC beaten? How many good choices doen he make under pressure? How many sacks has he had when the line was blocking and he ran outside of the formed pocket into the rush? WHAT HAS JC DONE? WHAT?????? to show he is an elite Qb...how much more time do you need to give a guy who sat on the bench learning and holding aclip board...in 21 games he has not improved at all.....You can system all ya want my point is...no matter who thses rookie QBs played...THEY EXECUTED! and your debate of not having tiome does not compare at all when you use that as an excuse...I suppose those ROOKIE Qbs had more time in there offense in their first year and first game than JC?

Your points make no sense except for excuses....I'm tired of excuses...I want aQb who will produce...and JC has not progressed at all.

You say I'm not a fan and can't have my opinion? Why becaus eyou don't agree with it? Sorry but I don't drink your koolaid...I'm looking at results.

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AppleScience | September 8, 2008 6:38 PM

I like the way you think.

I am willing to bet we will beat Cinci and Det. btw.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Wait you are asking JC to be an elite QB? There are maybe 4 of them in the NFL at any given time. In our teams career we have maybe had 2 qb's that were elite.

F*** elite, settle for good.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: don r | September 8, 2008 6:15 PM

Nice post Don...Of course you can't post things like that here....We are still waiting with patience and time to get things rolling...I know were going on 9 years now but according to some...we need to exercise patients...and give our QB who was drafted in 2004 more time cause he is young...but we have seen the Andersons of the league and Rookies this season already produce more than JC but we need patience.

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | September 8, 2008 6:03 PM

Yeah I can count adn he was drafted in 2004...Holding a clip board is so you can learn and grow then step on the filed and apply what you have LEARNED! Ok tired of debating here is Jason stats and info....NOTE he is listed as 4 YEARS! And show me anywhere in these stats and his history that JC has "come of age" and needs more time?????

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

F*** elite, settle for good.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 6:51 PM

No I think we are looking for a QB that can execute his offense, move the chains and get first downs...Most importnats score in the redzone...Isn't that his job?

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

That is not just his job that is the job of 11 guys on the field.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

The offense accounted for 209 yards, 133 of which was JC, roughly 63% of the yardage. Having no yards falls on everyone. Its not like our RB lit it up either.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

JC is 7 & 13 as a starter...The chicago game was won by Collins in a comeback but JC was losing when he got hurt ..That is not being counted.

JUST STELLAR PRODUCTION!

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I thought stats don't matter Leevi? Cant have it both ways.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I won't be entering the change the QB debate today (week 1 after losing to the 07 superbowl champs), but here's a relevant article on QBs and consistency.

cheers.

Posted by: stumped | September 8, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Leevi,

Really what choice do we have? Collins looked terrible in preseason and is 35 years old. We have no idea how Colt will do against decent competition, and his mechanics are even worse than Campbell's. I do wish they would have played Colt a lot more in the first half of games during the preseason so we would have some idea how he would do against decent defensive players.

Posted by: jk123 | September 8, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else see the 46 yard punt by Frost?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Leevi,

Posted by: jk123 | September 8, 2008 7:10 PM

I agree...Also people are misunderstanding my points....I know we can't replace Campbell at this point....But I do think they will need to finally try and upgrade the position...I myself like Colt ...I just do not see Campbell being the guy...And no I do not want Collins in there.

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

See that makes more sense, I agree that Colt would be fun to watch in 3 seasons or so.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I thought stats don't matter Leevi? Cant have it both ways.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 7:05 PM

So I give you guys stats after people complained I have no basis so I give you stats.. and you still complian? What do you want? I can sum it up real quick...JC is a bust. I hope I'm wrong but at this point sure does not look good.

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Well I do think stats matter and yes a losing record is significant, but I am happy he has more TD's to INT's by a few. Some QB's never get out of that hole.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Agree with you there Alex...but I think most of those were in the Lions game last year :)

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow the venom up in here tonight. First, if we would have played the Lions or the Bengals I believe we would have won too. That's still not saying much. Also, who needs an elite quarterback? Ask Miami how that worked out for them for so many years. Hell, ask the Bills? How long did it take Denver with one? We just need one decent enough to play, a la Thiesmann, Rypien, Williams. None of them were elite, but they could help the TEAM win. That's all we need JC to do, not shoot us in the foot at the most inopportune moments.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I need Chester Taylor to get about 20 FF points with Berrian getting shut out. Yikes!!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 7:31 PM

Getting first downs would help some too

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Getting first downs would help some too

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:34 PM

Sure would, would be nice to have some receivers that run PAST the first down marker as well.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I think that Campbell would have a longer grace period among some of us if Collins had not played so superbly last year. Campbell boosters can blame the system (or Saunders) for his lack of winning but Collins demonstrated that the system worked.

Perhaps it would have been smart for Vinny to have brought in a veteran qb to be the number 2 who had played in a professional WCO just in case Campbell does not adapt to a Zorn offense. That may have been to the detriment of a young qb with a fragile physche but it would have been insurance for a first year head coach and coordinator. I don't like the idea of putting all of my eggs in one basket, especially if that basket has been underwhelming so far. Zorn has to hope that Collins can learn the offense as a number 2 faster than Campbell can as the starter in case of an injury or whatever. Zorn has publicly deflated Colt Brennan after every exhibition so I would be shocked if he is being considered for anything this season. In short, Zorn is stuck with Campbell for this season. I give it a 50-50 chance of it working for either of them. Not good odds, really.

Posted by: Dale | September 8, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

If I'm Snyder and the Skins lay another egg vs the Saints, I call Cowher . Not to coach the team, but to consult for 1-2 weeks.

Take a look at how the team focuses, practices, motivates, communicates, etc. See how the coach leads and operates. Interview the players, coaches, etc.

An independent set of eyeballs to evaluate the basics of the operation. And suggest ways to improve it.

If they lay another egg vs the Saints ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Well at least Campbell is not as bad as Rogers :)

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Whats with the lack of love for Aaron Rodgers?

1-10 GB38 (13:30) A.Rodgers pass deep middle to G.Jennings to MIN 6 for 56 yards (C.Gordon).

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

If they lay another egg vs the Saints ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 7:44 PM

"Lay an Egg" means come up with 0 points Al, not lose. I know what you mean, and thats just semantics. Its not the worst idea but if it were me I would not just say Cower. I would go to Jim Zorn, tell him this something we want to consider for him as a rookie HC and this can help evaluate the process, and give him a list of Vet HC's not on a team anymore. Ask him who he would be most okay with.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Well at least Campbell is not as bad as Rogers :)

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:48 PM

Really? Rodgers looked positively Favrian on that drive.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Rodgers looked positively Favrian on that drive.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 7:57 PM

I'm starting to think there was a reason they didn't want Favre back. And I can see why Minny might have been happy to get Favre.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Well at least Campbell is not as bad as Rogers :)

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:48 PM

What are you talking about he has had 3 years to hold a clipboard and did nothing. Could not beat out favre for any of it. ;)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Why would Snyder call Cowher? You would essentially force JC into another new offense. It doesn't make sense. I overreacted after the Giants loss but after time, I am willing to watch the rest of this movie.

Posted by: sicwidit | September 8, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Alex, the Cowher comment wasn't so much driven by Cowher, but by the idea of having a set of coaching eyeballs review the operation as run by the new coach. I picked Cowher because
1 . he isn't affiliated with anyone
2. he has never been with the Skins
3. Danny might want to hire him again down the road ...

Mariucci might also be a guy to do this job, maybe a few others. The independent assessment is what's critical if the Skins flop again vs NO

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to see that the conversation didn't die on ride home from work :)

@ Leevi: To paraphrase Mark Twain "there are lies, damn lies and statistics." Look, I use stats everyday; I (and for that matter, anyone) can find a stat to support any argument. But Campbell (or Collins or Brennan) does not play in vaccum. Blaming one guy and absolving the other 52 makes no sense. This team has problems. Lots of them. It will take more than one year's draft class/free agency to solve them all.

But, since you are fixated on the QB, lets stay there. There is no better QB on this team than Campbell. Not Collins, not Brennan. Brennan is still to new to the NFL; like Flacco and Ryan, he will tear apart bad defenses and be destroyed by good defenses. That is what happens to rookies. Collins looked great against 4 teams: the NYG (on one of their bad weeks), the Vikings (good run defense, atrocious pass defense), the Bears (Def. decimated by injury), and a Cowboys team too busy reading its own press to play the final game of the season. Once the playoffs came, he got beat by an elite defense and looked every bit like the guy Buffalo released after starting only 16 games and throwing more INTs than TD's.

Please don't misunderstand. I don't dislike Collins or Brennan; I'm just realistic enough to know that despite his struggles, JC is simply the best QB on the roster. If that changes, I'll be the first to admit it, but for now, JC is the guy.

Posted by: AppleScience | September 8, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 5:55 PM

sween,

The 'Skins have five WRs and four of them are injury prone. Thrash should not be a number three receiver for anyone right now -- he looked bad the other night. I'm saying they need another receiver on the roster and I don't think they can get better than McMullen. And if they can get better, then Seattle will grab the guy.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

why is Jackson throwing to Berrian? 4th gets Berrian's FF points. Hand it to Chester Taylor. I'm trailing by 19 points. Feed it to Taylor, dang it.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

golden showers

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I start my title defense with a win, all I need is Selvin Young to do better than a zero.

How are things looking in the B Grade??

Posted by: kost52 | September 8, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

we're not the only team with WR issues ... Seattle has just 3 healthy guys ... they appear to think thats a problem ...

RENTON -- Seahawks wide receiver Nate Burleson is out for the season with a knee injury.

Burleson tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee while trying to cut outside on a pass pattern on a rain-slicked field in Buffalo Sunday during Seattle's 34-10 loss in its season opener.

Coach Mike Holmgren says his team will also again be without veteran receivers Deion Branch and Bobby Engram for this Sunday's game against San Francisco. Branch is seven months into recovery for reconstructive knee surgery similar to what Burleson now faces. Engram may be out into October with a broken shoulder.

The Seahawks three healthy receivers on its roster. Holmgren says the team may sign a veteran free agent before practice on Wednesday.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Kost ... got a link for you ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 8:20 PM

Good stuff mate! Does she still have the toenail?

Posted by: kost52 | September 8, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

not that I know of ... did you see my new blip in the New Zealand Herald?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AppleScience | September 8, 2008 8:07 PM

i never once said he was the worst QB on the roster....Are you even reading my posts? or taking things, like many, out of context?

I made a joke earlier about Rodgers...can we agree that Rogers has had less time starting and more pressure with the Brett thing and replacing him? OK how come Rodgers , who is playing a team some say can go to the bowl and has one of the best defenses in the league, STILL look better than Campbell in his VERY FIRST START?????

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

i was making a joke being sarcastic...In fact Rodgers is backing my point at the moment.

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

"AL That was a jump ball that a huge WR came down with I wouldnt give too much Rodgers way on that...but at least he has the guts to try it.

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:55 PM:

The evidence just continues to mount that you know NOTHING about QBs.....

Posted by: Lisa | September 8, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 7:55 PM:

The evidence just continues to mount that you know NOTHING about QBs.....

Posted by: Lisa | September 8, 2008 8:35 PM

how is that...I'd say the other way around...You have not made one valid point Lisa to show otherwise except name call and posting things I have already said...Still waiting on you to show me how Campbell, Thus far, Is not a bust and why Qbs like say Rodgers playing in the shadow of Brett and his first start along with two other rookie Qbs yesterday look better than JC ever has in any game this far. Still waiting or will you call me another name?

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

So Lisa I know "NOTHING" as you stated above about Qbs...why because I don't agree with you??? get over yourself for a second and please explain in detail how you beleive that JC is the answer and thus far is not a bust? As above still waiting....

Ya know just because a person dos not agree with you does not mean you know more about a subject.

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

oh please nobody jump in here I want Lisa to explain this since she called me out many times on the subject with no explination...

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone give me hope for this season by finishing the following line: The Redskins will go 10-6 or better this year because...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

the defense

BEEP BEEP

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

It starts in the trenches, folks. This offensive line is "offensive". They're getting "bulled" and pushed around with ease, i think the Skins need to fire the Strength Coach. Jason Campbell is not comfortable in this offense. He "doesn't see the field", "he's so big and tall for this offense", "he holds on to the ball too long", "he doesn't see his second and third receivers", those statements are acknowledgements from his Head Coach that he's not a good fit for the offense.I say bring on Colt Brennan.And then the D-line and Linebackers can't block and tackle? The rookie Coach critizes his players in the press?This season is over before it started.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't need to explain anything to you, Leevi. You have been whining about Jason Campbell for 5 days because he had 1 bad game - and several subpar games last season (his FIRST year starting) completely discounting the 8 different offenses he has had to learn and that a game is not won or lost simply because of a QB. And our loss the other night (and in preseason) was not all on Jason. Unless you are a pro scout,coach, or God, you have absolutely no qualifications to proclaim someone a "bust" repeatedly...ad nauseum.

But I'm sure that you are perfect in everything you do....right, Leevi?

Posted by: Lisa | September 8, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

@Leevi

Relax brother, too much caffeine is never a good thing. I can't speak for Lisa, but I'm not "calling you out"; I just wanted to make sure the other readers knew who my post was intended for. Now that we understand each other:

I did read most of your posts; I missed a couple taking care of things around the house.

As for Rodgers: he plays on a well-drafted team (13-3; NFC Championship game), has had the same system his entire career and has a talented OL and WR corp. With all of those advantages, a first round draft pick had better succeed.

As for Campbell: In order to replace him, you either go with Brennan or spend a draft pick. If you go with Brennan: Ok, I disagree but thats fine. But if you go the draft/trade route, I'm curious how precisely you can justify either course of action, especially given how many other needs this team has?

I just don't think QB position in Washington is bad enough to warrant continuing to ignore the OL/DL/LB positions.

Posted by: AppleScience | September 8, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

We've all been watching football for a long time and i think we sometimes forget that the difference between winning and losing is intensity/energy and confidence. how come we lost to the giants this year when we beat the same team last year at the meadowlands? new offensive system...possibly, but also confidence. i believe that the eagles and cowboys would have both had hard times controlling the giants Off. & Def. last thursday in the 1st quarter b/c of all the energy & confidence the giants has after celebrating their super bowl. the fact that the d handled the giants from midway through the 2nd quarter forward is a testament to our talent and heart. the offense struggled, but if they come out on sunday and run block with passion, the running game will flow better against a saints D that is not top notch which will open more things up for Jason Campbell. if he still stinks when the run game is working and the defense is more on their heals, then we have a problem. until then, i think we have a chance to beat the saints this weekend at home where the crowd will be fired up and with confidence, the season could start looking a little better.

Posted by: skins 75 | September 8, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I told coach Z, hey I'd like to try the "Extended Shot Gun" from max protect punt formation. This way long snapper Ethan Albright hits me with the snap like 20 yards deep. I have lots of time to think then, and I can pat the ball four or five times, then wind up for about four seconds, and all my targets like Santena and Rendel El, I can see them. Yeah.

Posted by: Jason Campbell | September 7, 2008 11:42 PM

Yo, I like that I get the personal protectors in the extended shotgun. I was talkin to Brooksy and he was like "you gotta get some personal protectors back there with you Jay".

I asked coach Z, you know, if I could get like my German Shepard back there with me, like a guard dog to buy me enough time to see the field and he was like "Naw" "we got no equipment to fit your dog Jay". I tried to tell him real players hit way harder than those tacklin dummies they throw at me.

Posted by: JC | September 7, 2008 11:50 PM

Posted by: Extended Shotgun | September 8, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

gibbs should have let jc play more instead of being hung up on worthless 5 yard passer brunell then jc could have learned how to not fall asleep in the huddle. he would have been better. he will get better i beleive. they needed to get a better cornerback so they could get rid of the overated rodgers.what a waste of praises he is.

Posted by: rls1041 | September 9, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Looks like this thread is done, but come on people...

Everyone's distorting the JC debate...

is he the best QB on the roster RIGHT NOW? of course...that's not what the "JC-haters" are saying, but what's becoming more and more obvious is that he isn't the rock this offense can build upon - regardless of the system. Now I'm not comparing him to any other rookies out there, nor basing this on just one game...but it seems like the die-hard supporters of JC are just as stubborn as Vinny and Snyder... come on, a bust is a bust.

We're stuck with him for now, but any winning we do will be in spite of him, not because of him...

Posted by: Captain Obvious | September 9, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse