Springs, Smoot Should Be Ready for Saints

From Jason La Canfora

Three Redskins defensive backs are nursing injuries coming off a Week 1 loss to the New York Giants, but Coach Jim Zorn is optimistic at least two will be available for the Sept. 14 home opener against New Orleans. Corners Shawn Springs (calf) and Fred Smoot (hip pointer) are battling through discomfort but should bolster the secondary against the Saints.

Springs has been unable to put weight on his foot after being kicked in the shin during practice this week, but with a long layoff before the next game he should be back, Zorn said. Smoot suffered a painful hip injury during Thursday's game, an injury Zorn said he experienced several times as a quarterback in Seattle, but he too should heal before the Saints bring their dynamic passing attack to FedEx Field.

Rookie receiver Malcolm Kelly, who missed the entire preseason schedule after having knee surgery, is ready to return to practice, Coach Jim Zorn said, and could be back to face New Orleans as well. Kelly is struggling to grasp the mental and physical challenges of the NFL after being a second-round pick.

"I'm hoping he comes on strong," Zorn said. "We'd like to get him active if we can."

Rookie safety Kareem Moore has been out for several weeks with a hamstring injury, and has yet to practice. The players are off this weekend and return to the field Monday, when Moore will be re-evaluated. Defensive tackle Kedric Golston suffered a bruised knee in the game but will be fine, Zorn said.

End Jason Taylor, who is battling a sprained knee, was targeted by New York in the run game, but Zorn said the knee responded well and he came through the game well. Linebacker Khary Campbell will be ready for Week 2 after suffering a freakish quad injury before kickoff Thursday.
...

Zorn praised the intensity and hard-nosed ethic of tailback Clinton Portis, but overall though the run game was "average." The Redskins averaged just 3.7 yards per carry, and often Portis was allowed to be hit in the backfield. Portis again delivered crushing hits in pass protection and displayed a "violent" edge Zorn espouses ...

Rookie receiver Devin Thomas, Washington's first pick in April's draft, caught one ball in very limited action in his NFL debut. "He needs to be trusted more in practice so we can put him in the games," Zorn said. ... Linebacker Rocky McIntosh is struggling a bit to regain his form after suffering a season-ending knee injury last year, with Zorn admitting with the assessment that the youngster seems to be feeling his way through games at this point. Corner Carlos Rogers, also coming off of season-ending reconstructive surgery, suffered occasionally in man coverage.
...
Return specialist Rock Cartwright was excellent Thursday, keying Washington's only scoring drive with a 50-yard return, but in general the offense wasted the field position Cartwright bestowed upon them. "Those things make me just ill that we can't cover those," Zorn said.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 5, 2008; 3:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NFL Executive's Take on the Offense, Defense
Next: How Others Saw It and the Spags Affair

Comments

NObody here yet? Wow.

Posted by: BluCollar Redskin | September 5, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Zorn's on top of it. I'm not saying he will necessarily work out, but he does not seem overmatched, just new. He's going to make a few mistakes.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 5, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

We can debate this all we want and say it was this and that...To me it's pretty clear cut. WE NEED A QB! Jason Campbell is a bust. and I know "he has had a different system" BLAH BLAH EXCUSES...Last season Collins prooved it..the offense was going JUST LIKE LAST NIGHT and it was a different system. Jason got hurt and Collins came in. BAM the offense moved ...the ball was thrown deep for Tds...and they went on a winning streak. Adding that Collins isn't all that and he was not taking reps with the starters...but yet as soon as he came in it was like night and day. I feel Zorn is forced o start Campbell because of what was invested but Bottom line JASON CAMPBELL SUCKS...he does not move or direct his team with urgency and he can not read his wrs down filed...holds on to the ball too long...I believe collins or even Colt would play better...at least they make choices and get rid of the ball instead of being scraed to wing it.

TRADE HIS A$$

Posted by: Leevi | September 5, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Any word on whether Zorn plans to install an offense by the next contest?

Posted by: Corkczar | September 5, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Should read will be able to play against the Saints. "ready" implies prepared something to which I have my doubts about.

Posted by: Skinz | September 5, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Cut Campbell! He stinks!!!

Posted by: T. Green. S. Rosenfeld G. Frerotte | September 5, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

no time to install an offense, just use a grease board and draw it up as you go.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

i think everyone is upset, but we have to keep our heads up and get ready for new orleans and make fed ex field loud as hell

Posted by: nick | September 5, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought we got rid of Steve Spurrier?!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Collins was successful LAST season because he was playing in Saunders offense - which he knew very well.

I think the first play next Sunday should be a Deep Pass....forget West Coast offense....

Posted by: Lisa | September 5, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Any word on whether Zorn plans to install an offense by the next contest?

Posted by: Corkczar

Cork, try as I might, I will never be as funny as you.

Posted by: isnadd | September 5, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Any reason why Russ Grimm wasn't considered as our head coach ?

Posted by: Octavius J. Sideburn | September 5, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Just curious--Is Talent Evaluator Vinny Cerrato?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Whatever you think about how Jason has looked in this system, there is no question Collins has looked worse.

It was one game guys. On the road. In a place where we never play well (remember 36-0 under GibbsII up there?). Lets not decide everything right now. They've got two soft defenses coming in to FedEx. If they can build some confidence, they might just get rolling. I can tell you this, if the D only allows 16 pts/game this year, we will finish over .500. So it's not like there's nothing to build on.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 5, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Gibran Hamdan !!

Posted by: Sherm Edwards | September 5, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

First year offense will be hard to grasp no matter who we have in there at QB...lets all chill and see how we do on the home turf next weekend.

Posted by: HailSkins | September 5, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous, Talent Evaluator definitely is not Vinny.

Posted by: Lisa | September 5, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

LOL... Oh, man... one thing I can say is that RI never disappoints.

One loss in the opener on the road against the Super Bowl champs and there are people on this blog:

A) Talking about changing the QB.
B) Talking about changing the Head Coach,
C) Talking about changing the QB AND the Head Coach.

Classic.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 5, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Alex ... I agree with you on Campbell and the shotgun. He looks much more comfortable in that formation. Takes away play action, but I'd rather have Campbell be in better rhythm.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 5, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I certainly hope thats not "average"

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 5, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Bring Back Danny Wuerfle !!!

Posted by: Johnny Babbaloo | September 5, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Heard you guys are looking for a qb??

Have someone call me.....

Posted by: Danny Weurfell | September 5, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

LOL... Oh, man... one thing I can say is that RI never disappoints.

A) Talking about changing the QB.
B) Talking about changing the Head Coach,
C) Talking about changing the QB AND the Head Coach.

Classic.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 5, 2008 3:53 PM

You missed
D) fire Vinny
E) fire Danny

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 5, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I could be convinced to un-retire ......for the right price....

Posted by: Dante Culpepper | September 5, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll send you Ramsey, and a 7th, for Portis, and 2 Firsts......

Vinny, call me....

Posted by: Mike Shanahan | September 5, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I doubt Collins would be any better with the way the Oline has been playing. We need Buges to whip those guys back into shape.

Posted by: skinswest | September 5, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Daniel Snyder Gets Heckled
(from Sports Bog)

Walking down to the field level, here's what I noticed.

* Carlos Rogers with the so-called candy painted bright yellow cleats. (Uniform is burgundy pants and white shirts, if that wasn't known, and nearly everyone has burgundy socks pulled down low.)

* A Redskins fan yelling "hey Derrick!" at Durant Brooks.

* Clinton Portis going through warm up drills with his bright yellow Nike high-tops loose, the tongues flapping all around.

* Daniel Snyder wearing sunglasses inside a shady stadium at around 6 o'clock.

* And two brothers, Anthony and Robert Sewell, heckling the wingtips off of Snyder.

Among their joint offerings:

"Dan Snyder! Why don't you try to go buy Kings Dominion! Buy Kings Dominion Dan! Six Flags sucks! You need to clean up the Landover Six Flags. Six Flags is ghetto in P.G. Dan Snyder, go buy Kings Dominion, because Six Flags is GHETTO, especially in P.G. You know it. You know you hear me. Clean that up. Clean P.G. Six Flags up. C'mon, Dan. Stop sweating, Dan. Clean it up."

He definitely heard. There was no way not to. ""He won't look, but he knows," Anthony said. Mike Wise started talking about the Sewells on Washington Post Live, explaining to the panel that he couldn't hear them because of some loud fans. He was right; the Sewells are loud. They also saw Steve Tisch, and Anthony asked for a job.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 5, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

JC needs to pass from shotgun more.
stand up, see more of the field. Stick with shotgun especally in that 2 minute drill.

Running off tackel more. More offset I, & 3-4 wide sets.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 5, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Shoulda woulda coulda...

Shoulda hired Gregg as head coach

Woulda hired Mike Martz to run the offense

Coulda drafted players that will actually help our team this year

Posted by: isnadd | September 5, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Coach Z, hit me up on my cell, let me know when I can start practicing.....

Posted by: Joe Theisman | September 5, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Danny Waffles will a 1-year contract do ?
Snyder will send his plan for you and we can get you a physical, coach you up on the West Coast Offense real quick and you'll be ready to go by the Saints game. You'll achieve stardom in no time !!!

Posted by: Vinny "The Chameleon" Cerrato | September 5, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Man I'm lovin me some serious Domino's Deep Crust, just what the doc ordered after a day of blogging with you bozos.

Posted by: Greg | September 5, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm is a lush. Notice how he has fallen off not only our radar, but everybody else's too.

Posted by: NFL Grapevine | September 5, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

No need to panic! Only game one...Give credit to the aggressive Gmen, they came prepared...ohh by the way, they are the defending Superbowl champs...Skins have 9 days to prepare for the Saints, better get working...

Posted by: Marty S. | September 5, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else tired of "waiting till next year"?

That's the point, I'm down to be patient, but we've been patient a very long time.

And I'm just saying, I still have no clue how this season will turn out and won't pretend to.

Posted by: The Truth | September 5, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I'll send you that Brady guy, for your stadium, your revenue for the rest of eternity, as well as every first round pick you own from now till the year 3000.....

Posted by: Bill Belichick | September 5, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Truth,

Let's just flip a digit and say "waitin til next decade". I mean this dog won't hunt.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Someone looking for a starting QB ?

Posted by: Jay Schroeder | September 5, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Jasno - did anyone ask Zorn why he didn't take the 3 when he had a 49-yard FG attempt on the second-to-last drive? Then we could have at least attempted an onsides kick.

Posted by: Quinn | September 5, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Which Brady, Peter or Greg.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

How did Kelly go from "almost being put on IR" to practicing and Zorn hoping he can be active in 1 week?

Posted by: Skinz | September 5, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

boy, we need a practice so we can read about who is in pads, who is in shorts, who is working with the trainers, who is not on the field. etc...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | September 5, 2008 3:45 PM

Lisa We all understand that Collins was in Als offense I'm not saying Collins is the answer...I'm saying Campbell is NOT. They did call deep plays down filed last night....Just like the last coaches at the helm. The issue is...Campbell cannot read the field well...the dinks and dunks have only happned when Jason is QB...That's my point.

Posted by: Leevi | September 5, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

How about bring back Billy McMullen? He would have caught a few of those passes that were dropped. I like James Thrash as a special teams guy, but he should have caught at least one of the two passes.

Stay positive everyone. The season is just starting.

Posted by: candy | September 5, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, 3-13, not very good!

Posted by: Jim Spurrier | September 5, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Was I the only person that thought a ref threw a flag everytime double move was in the pile with those shoes?

Posted by: Skinz | September 5, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"How about bring back Billy McMullen? He would have caught a few of those passes that were dropped."

Oh I get it sarcasim.

Posted by: 35332 | September 5, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Please - noone say anything more about Todd "Not-Kerry" Collins stepping up to be the new QB. The only reason why he did well last year was because 1) he had all the time in the world to study the Saunders system in his 8 years as The Official Clipboard Holder of the Kansas City Chiefs, and 2) none of the teams he started against had a running Betamax machine to watch the scouting tapes from the last time he played for any significant time.

I know JC had a craptastic outing yesterday, but Cold Toddy Collins just isn't the answer....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I had an idea in my head of how I wanted the Redskins to play last night. It didn't work out the way I had hoped at all. Reality can be brutal and painful to deal with but I think in a few weeks when these guys have their closed door come to jesus meeting they will sort out who is gonna lead the way and who is going to get left behind.

It may hurt to watch for awhile but they are going to get better one way or another. I really do believe that.

Posted by: will_ga | September 5, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

LOL... Oh, man... one thing I can say is that RI never disappoints.

A) Talking about changing the QB.
B) Talking about changing the Head Coach,
C) Talking about changing the QB AND the Head Coach.

Classic.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 5, 2008 3:53 PM

I love how people do not read a full post...I never said Collins should be put in! I stated that Collins has shown us how bad Campbell is....That's all...Stop taking things out of context. This is NOT something I have gotten from one game...We have seen Campbell play like this for 2 and 1/2 years now...WHEN is this guy going to start playing.....I will repost

TRADE HIS A$$

Posted by: Leevi | September 5, 2008 3:40 PM

Posted by: Leevi | September 5, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Aaah! My hair is burning! Aaaah!

Posted by: SonofNero | September 5, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

WE WANT TODD!

WE WANT TODD!

WE WANT TODD!

WE WANT TODD!

WE WANT TODD!

Seriously, what is Campbell's record as a starter? I think he's only won 1 game against an NFC East team. just 1.

Posted by: Todd to the rescue ptII | September 5, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

0-1 Not good, Not good

Posted by: Steve Spurrier | September 5, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

F Todd! Moron!

Let's officially start the Colt Count, shall we? At least he can see the field without turning into a statue...

Posted by: SonofNero | September 5, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I'll come back and play, but you guys cut me deep when I was released....its gonna cost ya.....

Posted by: Brian Mitchel | September 5, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I agree, though I don't want to see JC KO just yet, if I had to pick I take Colt over Todd 100 times out of 100.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 5, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

+++After watching Santana's catch off his ankles, did anyone else think he was touched before he actually caught the ball. The refs blew the whistle too early and that should have been a TD. Could have changed the dynamics of the game!+++

I agree. We needed that break. Thats 7 points. If Smoot makes the INT in the end zone, we take 3 points away from the Jints. That's 10 points in a 9 point game.

Thing is, that shouldn't have been a 9 point game. The Jints put a whupping on us that felt more like a 25 point blowout. Our defense was on the field so much, I'm amazed they held up so well.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 5, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Truth, how about Vandy beating up on the ole ball coach last night? Getting nervous about your homecoming game?

Posted by: SEC East Rulz | September 5, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not the quickest guy on the field, but I'll get it done for you.....

Posted by: Vinny Testaverde | September 5, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I will play for you fools but it's gonna cost you. You need to pay me and Vince Mcmahon.

Posted by: He Hate Me | September 5, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Danny, we vacation together, you send me Landry, Portis, and Moss, and I'll send you back Brad Johnson...trust me, he's worth it....

Posted by: Jerry Jones | September 5, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm still in really good shape....give me a chance...

Posted by: Kordell Stewart | September 5, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm your huckleberry...

Posted by: Bubby Brister | September 5, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes I keep him in very good shape.

Posted by: Kordell Stewart's BoyToy | September 5, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Have you upgraded that padding yet....cause I've got a couple celebrations left in me....

Posted by: Gus Frerotte | September 5, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

What the heck sauce, I'll give er a whirl.

Posted by: Steve DeBerg | September 5, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I remember thinking a few months back that Zorn as a HC reminded me of some of the food I got in the college cafeteria ... 'mystery meat'.

Now I'm hoping that he's still a mystery. Because if that really is what Zorn brings ... we're in deep trouble. I'm thinking he's better than what we saw, but dang that was an ugly debut.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 5, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Hire me, I can recognize the reads in under 15 seconds.

Posted by: Geico Cave Man | September 5, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

LOL... Oh, man... one thing I can say is that RI never disappoints.

A) Talking about changing the QB.
B) Talking about changing the Head Coach,
C) Talking about changing the QB AND the Head Coach.

Classic.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 5, 2008 3:53 PM

I'm with you MrRedskin. This stuff is priceless. I have tried to disconnect myself from reading the comments and only read JLA's posts but now I find myself draw to the comments like a magnet.

Sometimes its hard to read. Its like watching Michael Scott on the Office. Makes you cringe but I keep coming back for more.

Posted by: someone | September 5, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Might take me a while to warm up, but I'll get er done.....

Posted by: Bernie Kosar | September 5, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

My comments following the "beat-down."
1. HC Zorn has a lot to learn.
2. JC needs to be quicker (for God sake) on his release.
3. Compared to the Giant's O-Line & D-Line, we have below average lines. We definitely need the draft to rebuild. We can't go anywhere with the lines!
4. HC Zorn seems like the type of person who will get it right if given enough time but I bet Danny won't give him enough time.
5. Can we run Mike Sellers like the Giants ran Brandon Jacobs? Is the Caveman not good enough?
6. We have midgit receivers.
7. Was Joe Gibb's calling the plays after he delivered the speech at RNC?
8. I feel sorry for Landry who got decked out.
9. Carlos Rogers picks up where he left off, still being burned by receivers and dropping potential interceptions.
10. Did Zorn think that timeouts carried over to the next game? He didn't use them well!!!

Posted by: Mama Mia! | September 5, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

A lot of Maroon and Black and Yellow fans, today.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm sober....swear to you, I'm stone cold sober....I ain't kissin nobady.....

Posted by: Joe Namath | September 5, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

A lot of ANGRY Maroon and Black and Yellow fans today.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I have thought about sometime in May when Zorn said something along the lines of 'just about done installing the offense' and I thought wow it's May. We are behind an 8-ball.

Soups did not look comfortable or sure of himself at all last night and in post game show when they interviewed Pete Kendall he was lukewarm about him at best. Kendall said something like "Well he's the leader because he's the QB so he's the leader by default."

It seemed like JC was way too far in his head. Having the 9 different OC's in 9 years has to do a number on you at some point. The only analogy I've been able to come up with is it's like learning a foreign language. You get the basics and then the nuances change from country to country and you spend a lot of time trying not to screw it up.

Posted by: sfskin | September 5, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Whats the worst that could happen.....

Posted by: Tony Banks | September 5, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready to prove I'm not one hit wonder. Gimme the ball coach. I don't want money just a lifetime supply of Proactive

Posted by: Mark Rypien | September 5, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Whats the worst that could happen.....

Posted by: Tony Banks | September 5, 2008 4:28 PM

I think we all already found that out.

Posted by: Skinz | September 5, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

LOL... Oh, man... one thing I can say is that RI never disappoints.

A) Talking about changing the QB.
B) Talking about changing the Head Coach,
C) Talking about changing the QB AND the Head Coach.

Classic.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 5, 2008 3:53 PM

Now only that, I've heard mention that they'd like to get a new owner and general manager. Otherwise, guys seem to be adapting pretty well, taking the loss in stride. Don't you think so?

So far, though, Chief Zee's job seems safe.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 5, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry guys, I'm gonna have to sit this one out. I'm REALLY out of shape.

Posted by: Johnny Unitas | September 5, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I have to say beyond the clear personnel questions you can ask I also wonder why the FO hasn't helped Zorn learn the niceties of being an HC.
You train the players how to handle the media why would the HC be any different?

Who on this team is going to call the players to their come to jesus moment? Once again 2006 all over again?

Posted by: sfskin | September 5, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

HC Zorn...sounds like a detective, no doubt searching for his game plan. The H doesn't stand for Hercule by chance?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Geeze you guys are worse than me. I mean it's just 1 game.

Posted by: Chicken Little | September 5, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

You know the rocket is primed up and ready, I've been there before, I know how to get it done.....

Posted by: Jeff George | September 5, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

They were shoving me around like a little girl.

Posted by: J. Taylor | September 5, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Gimme gimme one more chance gimme gimme gimme one more chance.

What's it gonna be him or me?

Posted by: Heath Shuler | September 5, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

OK, but I want another bar on my face guard this time round.

Posted by: B Kilmer | September 5, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me JT but that's a bit harsh to us little girls. We put up a fight most of the time unlike you.

Posted by: Little Girl | September 5, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

To all those touting Collins' success last year and why he should replace JC, remember this: Collins was in Al Saunders' system for 6 - six, seis, sex, - years. If you do your reading, you'd see that Todd isn't as successfull running this new offense. Jason has way more physical tools to be successful than Todd. Just give this offense some time and (hopefully) it'll come around.

Posted by: Ricky88 | September 5, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Are you guys sorry you got rid of me, yet??

Posted by: Marty Ball Schottenheimer | September 5, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | September 5, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I agree it is 1 game and we're getting a little Nero-ish in our reactions.

But the whole tone of the game was disheartening so I guess part of me feels that we have dug a hole that is going to be harder to climb out of.

Posted by: sfskin | September 5, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Are some of you people serious by playing Todd Collins. Did you not see him in preseason? He was falling over his feet and could not hit the broad side of a barn. Todd Collins is a system quaterback. Answer me this if Collins was so good why wasn't he starting in KC before he got here? What coach Zorn needs to do is stop all the this BS quaterback coaching he is doing. Stop trying to make him into a robot. The great quaterbacks get it done. Cut out the pillow throwing and the step counting and just let him go. Also try making aggressive play calls that give him the best chance for sucess. As hard as the Giants defense was comin last nite, why on earth would you not call a play action bootleg, where the options are fullback in flat, tight end in medium route and wr coming accross deep.

Posted by: DonRedskin | September 5, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else missing Sean Taylor at times last night?

Posted by: Leevi | September 5, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey - I'm already at every game and on the payroll...

Posted by: Sonny Jurgenson | September 5, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

My passes are still straight as ever

Posted by: Billy Kilmer | September 5, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else missing Sean Taylor at times last night?

Posted by: Leevi | September 5, 2008 4:40 PM

Mr. Leevi. I'm with you on that. I know it's selfish but he was on his way to being a game changer.

Posted by: DonRedskin | September 5, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I cant believe all the post bashers. these journalists have the nuts to bash the highest paid team over the past decade that has one playoff win. the skins underperformance can be atrributed soley to bad personell decisions and switching coaches every other year on average. that falls at the plate of danny billionaire. if you rip the post journalists than you are a danny backer. the post is only presenting the facts, yout true danny believes can revel in the preseason free agent champion deadskins cause come regular season year after year they stink up the joint.

To succeed in the modern nfl you need a mobile quarterback and big receivers. The skins have neither. You also need a 400 pound nose tackle to stop the inside run game, again the skins do not have this.

If the three young receivers taken in the draft this year pan out then we will have the big receivers which you need for the running and passing game. Campbell has zero confidence and how can you blame him his 'smurf' wr's never look open because they are usually smaller than the cbs that are covering them

One crazy thing to watch for, I think the skins offense this year will be the most readable and predictable in the history of the nfl. They have implemented zorn's west coast passing attack but kept gibbs power running game. those two offenses don't have the same starting formations. Isn't it going to be blatantly obvious when they are going to run and when they are going to pass? they didnt run once yesterday out of a four wr set. the only time they brought two tes, was on a 3rd and 1, what did they do? they ran up the middle and got stuffed. totally retarded.

I am shocked zorn learned his play calling and clock management from gibbs 2.0. It was like he was trying to cover the spread not win. running most of the fourth quarter down to scores. not going for it on three fourth and shorts at middle field. going for it and missing still would have earned him the respect of the team. instead honestly there was no difference in the team last night and the team when gibbs was coaching, same style, no passing game, always running when down 2 scores and horrendous clock management.

Posted by: colt brenan | September 5, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DonRedskin | September 5, 2008 4:39 PM

Once again...things are being takenb out of context...Collins is not a very good QB...the point is...when is Jason Campbell going to step up and start playing liek a starting QB..in 2 and 1/2 years he has done NOTHING. When Campbell is in the offense does not move. In fact I would bet Colt would move the offense better and he is a rookie. How many Qbs around the league have looked better than campbell while learning new systems or not being in the league as long. Campbell has had plenty of time...especially since he was in a WC system in college....this guy is a bum.

Posted by: Leevi | September 5, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Man, redskins fans are dumb.

Posted by: BMAC | September 5, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Remember when the draft rolled around and people were pleading to pick some Defensive lineman.

Yeah, that would have been a good call.

Why is it that after our 1st offensive play of the game was over I had my head buried in my hands?

I also loved when the announcers faulted Heyer for the sack, when the right side created a wall and Campbell ran into the defender.

Freaking genius!!!

Why does Campbell look lost every time the camera was on him?

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 5, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I love Cooley, but how many times was he beat horribly on blocks?

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 5, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Leevi and everyone else. Jason Campbell played one year in the West Coast offense in college. I dare say that there is a big difference between college and pro football. Next thing Jason has not been starting for 2 1/2 yrs. He has been starting for amounts to less than 2 yrs. Check the stats. Name any qb in the NFL that has had as many as coaches, offensive coordinators and qb coaches as Jason since just being in the league. Hell Peyton Manning has only had one coordinator. All the top qb have been in their systems for yrs.

Posted by: DonRedskins | September 5, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Excuses are like.... well you know the saying....

Posted by: Leevi | September 5, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Can we please cut James Thrash already. Rock is the heart and soul of our special teams (which is what people think we need Thrash for).

Thrash has ZERO value as a WR...I can't understand why we didn't cut Thrash and keep Billy McMullen...Vinny, make that happen asap.

Posted by: Benjy London | September 5, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

We're just not interested in all of your stinkin' excuses - West Cost Offense - paaahhh...in my day we played with bones sticking through our skins in pig troughs. The pig s**t would get in our hair and we'd let it dry for days before the game. No one wanted to get near us - we called that the Smell Most Offense - and it worked. I don't want to hear any of your fancy logic - if you can't score, use the drop kick I say!

Posted by: Cranky Old Man | September 5, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | September 5, 2008 4:00 PM

Fat and stupid. You're quite the catch Greg.

Posted by: Beth | September 5, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

My My Springs is ahead of schd. this year on his little boo boo's.
Please tell me in what year with us has he played a full season.
Everyone wants to boo hoo on Zorn and Danny and Jason but for the love of all that is good please get rid of Shawn "oops I have a boo boo" Springs

Posted by: Jotay13 | September 5, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I'll send you Ramsey, and a 7th, for Portis, and 2 Firsts......

Vinny, call me....

Posted by: Mike Shanahan | September 5, 2008 3:57 PM

LOL. That's really funny.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 5, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is a bust. Trade him! Clinton Portis isn't that great either. He hasn't lived up to billing. Great as Bronco. Not so as a Redskin. He'll make a great car salesman working for Eastern Motors.

If both players are talented GREAT! Trade them both and get us some no name blue collar offensive and defensive lineman.

Theismann and Riggo didn't start their Superbowl runs until Bobby Beathard brought in a bunch of no names...Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, May and some old timer named Starke. Then there were these blocking tight ends named Didier, Warren.

The National Defense were anchored by guys named Butz, Grant, Mann, and Manley.

A great offensive and defensive line make mediocre skill position players look great!

Snyder, I like you grew up watching these great. Stop spending money on guys trying to sell tickets. Winners sell tickets...

Sorry the record speaks for itself...Campbell is a loser....Collins is a winner.

Start the old timer from Michigan!

Posted by: Agree w/Previous Post | September 5, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

you have to admire the intensity Portis has. did you see that check he put on one of the Giant defender? his offensive lineman stood there...LOL.

on several occasions 3 and whatever...how come jason always throws to the receiver that is well short of the first down? Look a bit farther down field man!!!

carter and fletcher paid well

Posted by: Anonymous | September 6, 2008 3:13 AM | Report abuse

Game observations.

Expecting a three toed sloth to throw quickly and decisively is really expecting too much....

Overhead on the Giants' sideline - "Damn, if Strahan had collected his 8 mil, he could have had eight sacks against those chumps..."

In order to bring some offense to the field on Sunday, all offensive players will wear Vinnie Cerrato masks instead of helmets.

Guess Jason Campbell's mom won't be doing Chunky Soup commercials any time soon.

Chris Cooley is now married. Guess that is what explains his lack of getting any action last Sunday.

Silver lining in every cloud... Jon Jansen thanks God he wasn't part of that mess on Sunday.

Ex-Redskin punter Frost was seen at half-time shopping for more pins at Walmart for his 11 man voodooo doll collection.

Don't look now, but someone has a plan B - this weekend a famous politican was seen trading in his Messiah gown for a Redskin Sweater and ball cap in case there is a need for a change.

Posted by: laserwizard | September 6, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

All Jason needs is for me to coach him up!

Posted by: Steve Spurrier | September 6, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

The best thing that can happen is for Dan to fire "Vinnie the Viper" then sell. Come on Dan the market is up sell! sell!

Posted by: taxiboy58@yahoo.com | September 7, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

why would they put jason campbell in when they have collins? they embarrassed themselves with his playing in front of the country. Its like sitting bret favre on the bench and playing third string. if this is zorns choice.. he neds to go..NOW

Posted by: jill | September 8, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

zorn has never won anything in his life. he's a terrible coach and take snydie boy with him. we are the emabrrassment of the nfl

Posted by: jill | September 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

collins was 4 and 0. campbell couldn't nail a coffin...whats he 4 and 4000? get rid of him!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted by: jill | September 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse