Springs to Be a Game-Time Decision (Updated)

From Jason Reid:

After cornerback Shawn Springs (calf) sat out practice yesterday, Redskins Coach Jim Zorn said Springs would be a game-time decision Sunday against the Cleveland Browns at FedEx Field.

"He couldn't practice today because he had some tightness in his calf," Zorn said of Springs, who participated fully in practice Thursday. "That'll be a game-time deal. He says he wants to play, I don't know if he'll be fit to play, but we'll see."

Injured in a Week 4 victory over the Dallas Cowboys, Springs, Washington's best defender in press-man coverage, was sidelined during the Redskins' Week 5 win at Philadelphia. Springs returned to the lineup in last week's loss to the St. Louis Rams.

The fact that Springs suffered a setback Thursday probably does not bode well for his chances of playing against the Browns, Zorn acknowledged, "but I'm the optimist," he said. "I'm hoping."

Springs also missed the season-opening loss to the New York Giants because of a shin injury. In four games, the 12-year veteran has 16 tackles, including 12 unassisted.

...

With the exception of Springs, the Redskins had full participation in practice, Zorn said.

Running back Clinton Portis (hip), tackle Chris Samuels (ankle), safety Chris Horton (ankle), cornerback Carlos Rogers (calf), cornerback Fred Smoot (groin), linebacker Khary Campbell (calf), guard Pete Kendall (knee) and defensive end Jason Taylor (calf) are expected to play against the Browns.

"I watched those guys move around, and I felt like they moved around pretty good," Zorn said. "Now, there's some tenderness there that we've got to watch. But we've still got two more days to rest and get treatment."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 17, 2008; 1:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blocking Will Be Key for Betts' Replacement
Next: Kelly May Be 'Odd Man Out' Sunday

Comments

PANSY.

Come on Springs, be a man for Christ's sake. We can't have Springs and Smoot out.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 17, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Blache will work it out one way or the other.

It would be VERY MUCH BETTER if all the starters could play (that's only happened once this year) but they'll get it done no matter who plays.

Posted by: craig2 | October 17, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Hit refresh; we got the rest of the injuries.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 17, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Alright, if Smoot plays then we don't need Springs as much. I'm tired of the nagging injury BS though.

Seriously, I'd love to see just once us with everyone healthy.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 17, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Gonna be a tough go, if Smoot and Springs are out, and Anderson has time to throw. Blache needs to dial up some exotic blitz schemes to pressure him. I think Evans can have a big day, the guys he's lining up against is just a guy.....

Good to NOT see Kelly's name on that list.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 17, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Who here was hoping it was Jason Campbell that was a game time decision, and not Springs?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Good to NOT see Kelly's name on that list.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 17, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Wait till pre-game warmup. Then he'll be on that list again.

Posted by: Devo2 | October 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope we don't have to deal with Springs being out every other week.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Good to NOT see Kelly's name on that list.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 17, 2008 1:22 PM

That has to be an oversight. Just got to read the Landry article. Depressing. What could have been.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 17, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Why would we want Jason Cambell questionable over springs guru?

Posted by: drkeller1 | October 17, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Why would we want Jason Cambell questionable over springs guru?

Posted by: drkeller1 | October 17, 2008 1:27 PM
Dr Keller....brace yourself.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

dr, don't even go there....its just not worth your, my, or anyone's time.

at the back end of it, you'll be sorry you asked...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly update?

Posted by: hender_22 | October 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

We all know what a game time decision means for Springs.......

We'll see him next on the field for the Dallas game. MAYBE Pittsburgh at the earliest......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Let him REST! We need him down the stretch. From the way he was talkin' this pre-season, he would sacrifice the rest of his carreer for some quality post-season play.

I know we need him, and he would probably be better hampered than some of those young-uns healthy... But we're one game outta first and it isn't crunch time yet. I would hate to loose him now.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

My name is sports_guru and I post things that are nonsense to see how many responses I can get.

You need attention in the same way TO goes about it. Loser.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 17, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Does this mean that Kelly is Tip Top?

Posted by: Gweez | October 17, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Before anyone accuses me of being Sexist I would like to remind them that this is part of our team too...

Chevallier: Thank heaven... for....

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 17, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Springs is as good of a CB as their is in the league, except Bailey, for the 8-9 games he plays every year. The Redskins can't afford to lose this weekend.

There is no need to rest Spring for the post season if the Redskins are at home. If they lose this weekend, they have put themselves behind the 8-ball again.

Posted by: cspwoods3 | October 17, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

injuries are always an issue. The Skins have depth in some areas (RB for example) where the loss of Betts won't be a big issue ... I think Rock will do some good things in his place.

Few teams can afford either an injury at a position where the depth is poor (see Pats QB) or where a rash of injuries hits in one area (see Skins 2007, right side of OL).

Its the secondary where we have so many guys hurting. It is a depth position with a rash of injuries. We had 6 capable guys -- Smoot, Rogers and Springs as CDs, with Doughty, Horton and Landry as safeties. Doughty is out and all the CBs + Horton are hurting.

So are these injuries major, or is Zorn playing games trying to keep Cleveland guessing?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 17, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Why would we want Jason Cambell questionable over springs guru?

Posted by: drkeller1 | October 17, 2008 1:27 PM

Jason Campbell is the field general. The field general has influence over his offense. Pete Kendall would not have tried to make that catch and run, if he had confidence in Jason Campbell, or if he had respect for his authority.

In addition, Jason campbell is not good at throwing TD passes. He has yet to throw three in a game all year.

If it weren't for our running game, we wouldn't be close to 4-2. Jason Campbell is the Trent Dilfer of our team. Colt Brennan is a game winning play maker. If Jason Campbell were out this week, we would get our chance to see what we really want, Colt as QB!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 17, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Zorn said yesterday that Kelly practicing fully and that he's "pushing him in practice".

It seems like Zorn's pushing the issue to either make or break the knee once and for all so the team move forward one way or the other.

By all accounts Kelly has been able to practice all week this week, and most of last week too.

It sounds like he may be finally coming around.

Posted by: craig2 | October 17, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

As a huge fan of Old School R&B ... RIP Levi Stubbs

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 17, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 17, 2008 1:31 PM

Actually, it was his pre/offseason talk of retirement that makes me wonder if his heart is in it this year. Obviously I don't know the true extent of his injuries, but he does not appear to play with pain too much......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 17, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Springs with his age and being fragile he should never practice! He does not need to practice, he is a veteran and it is only a risk for him to get hurt, like what happened yesterday.

Posted by: Skins28 | October 17, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I have never seen a team with such pansy a** injury's like these guys. I mean Springs is a shut down, but you can never trust him to be there, unbelievable.

Posted by: joeboggs | October 17, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I doubt there are any games being played, you do that for the most part with offensive players, not secondary players.

And I agree with whoever said we should draft Malcom Jenkins next year, dude will be a stud. Although there is another CB out there a little more athletic but also, of course, a little more raw. Can't remember his name at the moment.

oh! It's the guy from Illinois, he's a stud.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 17, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I really didn't understand why so many people here thought this until now:

Sports_Guru REALLY IS AN IDIOT ISN'T HE?

I had no idea anybody could REALLY be that stupid.

As I picked myself up from the floor over this:

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 17, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I finally reached this MONUMENTAL understanding. Thank you for clarifying this to me Sports_Guru (dumb@$$ name by the way, considering your obvious lack of qualifications)

Posted by: craig2 | October 17, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I agree, haze - that's why I'm saying "kid gloves" until the playoffs or at least the stretch.

He's a pansy, great... but he plays good when he wants...

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 17, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Really Sports_Guru you need to give up. You are starting to sound as bad Sarah Palin being able to see Russia from her house.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 17, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

With ya Dik. He's awesome when he plays. I am just worried that he might be questioning his decision to return. Pure speculation on my part, yes.

Maybe we should ask Pete Kendall if he has any respect for Shawn.

I had to. Sorry. To much to pass up. I mean come on. Really? REALLLY???

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 17, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I think Sports_Guru is having fun. I don't think it's needing attention or being an idiot or a crush on Colt - I really think he's just doing this for his amusement. His posts just kind of make me laugh. And we could all use a little laugher.....you betcha.

Posted by: mmok2 | October 17, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

RIP Levi, a true legend!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 17, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Why are people even paying attention to sportsguru? Its obvious he's doing it just to tick people off and get attention. Ignore him and hell go away. Thats how you handle 12 year olds.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 17, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes, for all the times we each question eachothers intelect, be it people going after Chris Larry, or T_E, or the Truth, (no offence meant guys but you three are frequent targets of other blogers and eachother). I am sure we can all agree that everyone here has more NFLKnolwage thant Sports_Guru.
But man I love to make fun of him.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 17, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Note for theredskinsblog.com

Coach Zorn was visibly encouraging Malcolm Kelly in practice, and seemed optimistic about him again afterward. “We didn’t have to drain his knee this week,” he said. “He’s starting to be able to do things at a higher speed.” So that situation is progressing, which is encouraging to see.

Posted by: craig2 | October 17, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

sports_guru? never heard of him....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 17, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Rypien,
I think we all derive some amusement from going after him as much as he does going after JC.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 17, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

typing a kelly update now....five minutes...

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 17, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

My apologies for stating the obvious then about S_G.

I don't usually like to take that route on blogs, it isn't my style, but that one really got me.

Posted by: craig2 | October 17, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Let's all have some fun!
How about we make a list of the top 10 things that wouldn't have happened if anyone had any confidence in Jason Campbell, or respect for his authority. Obviously number 10 is Pete kendall wouldn't have tried the catch and run. I will get us started at number 9 with :

9. Clinton Portis wouldn't have tried so hard to run for a buck forty and 2 td's. If he thought Jason could throw some td passes, he would have run out of bounds alot more and added more years onto his career.

Take it away guys!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 17, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Uhh seriously Guru is a troll. Look up the definition. He does it to stir you guys up. The best way to get rid of a troll is to ignore him.

Don't feed the troll!!

Posted by: Gweez | October 17, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

If anyone had confidence in Jason Campbell or respect for his authority, Horton wouldn't be forced to make all those interceptions as a rookie.

Posted by: mmok2 | October 17, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

8. Chris Cooley would just fall down after making every catch rather than risk being injured going for more yards.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 17, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 17, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Gweez, that's exactly what I will do from now on, simply ignore his posts.

It looks like all but Springs will play, so who matches up with K2? That's gonna be an issue I think.

Posted by: craig2 | October 17, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Just because Malcolm Kelly isn't on the injury list doesn't mean he is going to play. He could be inactive for the game. That guy is a waste. Springs needs to play. This is nonsense. Game time decision means there is zero chance he is playing. Sounds like Horton will be playing. That is good news...

Posted by: kmichael76 | October 17, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

The biggest issue in this game is who will block Shaun Rogers.

Posted by: joeboggs | October 17, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

6. Cindy and Jason would not have to write so much because the team would be doing fine all week. Beep Beep.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 17, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

guru,

We are all a bit dumber for having read that...in no did you form any semblance of a coherent thought. You are awarded NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul....

Posted by: P00P | October 17, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I can see Davis breaking out this game...1 catch 2 yards!

Posted by: joeboggs | October 17, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I can see Davis breaking out this game...1 catch 2 yards!

Posted by: joeboggs | October 17, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

+++Posted by: drkeller1 | October 17, 2008 1:27 PM

Posted by: Sports_Guru +++

No more stupid posts, please. WE HAVE OUR WINNER. Come on down and collect your prize as Sports Boob of the Year.

RUNNERS UP:

"Zorn can't coach worth a lick"

"Fletcher is Injury Prone"

"Why won't Portis block?"

Posted by: TheCork | October 17, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Leave the sports guru alone he speaks the truth, cambell is worthless and without portis he is even worse!

Posted by: Dfan | October 17, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Guru,

That has to be the dumbest assesment I've heard in a long time. Obviously you are not watching the same team we are. Get a clue. Hold your opinions until the end of the year when we are making a playoff run with JC.

Posted by: thediesel44 | October 17, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Like I said earlier in the season, Springs should have played Samuel L. Jackson's role in Unbreakable.

Posted by: clark202 | October 17, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru,

Colt Brennan, really, why don't you get a copy of the gamefilm from the Sugar Bowl last year. Enough Said!

Posted by: jayandcat | October 17, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

these injuries are killin us..not the same team at all without shawn on the field..with him out, we only have to quality cornerbacks..torrence cant play 3rd aka nickel and tryon definetly isnt good enough to be in the nfl at this moment..this will be a tough game if shawn cant go..seems like his age is catching up to him..we need players who arent injury prone..every damn year we go through this..suck it up and be a damn pro!

Posted by: ripmeast21 | October 17, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse