Springs Unlikely to Play Today

Jason La Canfora, en route to Philly, texts in this update:

Shawn Springs' calf injury has not responded to treatment as quickly as he and the team had hoped and he is virtually certain to be out today against the Eagles in Philadelphia, a source has said. Justin Tryon would be up in his place. Although Tryon has struggled, he matches up pretty well against Philly's small, fast receivers.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 5, 2008; 8:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins-Eagles: Waiting for Kickoff
Next: Springs, Heyer, Taylor, Washington Out (Updated)

Comments

First!!

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 5, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Just happened to be here when this was posted. I thought being first would feel better. What a let down.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 5, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

We can count on Tryon for two picks: left nostril and right nostril. Anything more than that is gravy. Okay, maybe not gravy, but some other good thing.

One thing Tryon has going for him is that he's played Desean Jackson twice in college. Another thing is that he's about the same height as Desean. As soon as I think of the third thing, I'll be back to post it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 5, 2008 8:29 AM |

Okay, here's a third thing about a Tryon/Jackson matchup that Jackson's likely to remember.

Seems like our man, Tryon, blew up Jackson on a punt return. Only thing is that Tryon hit Jackson so early that the ball never touched Jackson but bounced off Tryon's back. Tryon was ejected from the game and I'm surprised, after seeing the hit, that Jackson is able to remember his own name today.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 5, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

What is really a let down is that Springs is out. Shawn Springs is the one player that makes this defense go period. None of the rest of our corners can be depended upon to go one on one with the other guys top receiver for more than a few plays, so we have to keep more back in coverage, which opens up the running game and for the other team and forces us to rush mostly with just the D line who is without Jason Taylor.

That is the reason why we looked so pathetic against the "great" Eli Manning". it really is that simple.

It might have to turn into another shoot-out if we are going to win this one. Either way we will have a better record than I thought we would have after 5 games. I thought 1-4 or 2-3 at best. Worst we can be is 3-2 now with all our divisional road games behind us, and plenty of time to get healthy before we go into divisional play again. You go 5-3 or 6-2 against the poor non divisional guys, and 2-1 in the division, and you have a minumum 10 win, and possibly a 2 win season.

They better be ready to win next week against the Rams. I am trading my end zone seats to see how all you rich folks see the game in section 349 and taking my 66 year old Mom who has never been to anything! Sure hope they win so it's a good time for her.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 5, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Thats funny TE

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 5, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

oops meant possibly a 12 win season in my post above

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 5, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Quick Poll - I am getting a new jersey today. Who should I get? I currently have

Monk, Green, ARE, and Portis.

I am thinking I need a defensive guy, but I don't really want hurt johny come lately Jason Taylor. Maybe Fletcher? or Springs? What do you think. I like to have someone most don't have, but i don't have time to special order one by Sunday I don't think.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 5, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 5, 2008 9:04 AM

Defense that no on else has? That's easy. Adam Archuleta. And the jerseys were on sale for only $5. So you can save the big bucks at the same time.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 5, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

EAGLES EXPECT TO HAVE WESTBROOK, NOT ANDREWS OR CURTIS
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 5, 2008, 9:03 a.m.
The Philadelphia Eagles expect to have running back Brian Westbrook on the field today against the Redskins.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Eagles think Westbrook will be OK to play a week after sitting out the team’s loss to the Bears with an ankle injury.

However, it’s not all good news on the injury front for the Eagles. Schefter reports that guard Shawn Andrews is out with a back injury and wide receiver Kevin Curtis is out with a hernia. Both had been listed as doubtful on the injury report.

Andrews’ back is getting better, and he’s expected to return next week at San Francisco.

Posted by: skins1110 | October 5, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Is Springs ever healthy?

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

dbrine ... Sean Taylor, LaRon Landry, or ... wait for it ... Chris Horton

Posted by: dcsween | October 5, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Is it cool to wear my Arrington jersey yet? Is he far enough out of the doghouse to be able to wear it again? I've been sticking to my Riggins and Cooley jerseys and my Arrington has been languishing in the back of the closet.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 5, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Seems like Springs is active, on average, about 12 games a season, which is to say, cL, I get your rhetoric. I still say he is the best corner (at least for taking out the need-to-take-out-sized WRs, like TO or Braylon Edwards) ... because he's so big. GM dcsween targets THIS year's Ohio State CB, Malcolm Jenkins, to replace Springs, but I dunno whether he lasts beyond the 10th pick at the latest.

Posted by: dcsween | October 5, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

anybody from the OTHER, less hoopty, RI FF online this am? I need someone else to log in for me to bench a bye week receiver. I still can get in.

Posted by: dcsween | October 5, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

bring on dem Iggles, I'm watching Game Day on the BFL Network.

Crap Warren Sapp is on

Posted by: noonefromtampa | October 5, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

From the sports bog:

This guy has more than one screw loose.

Posted by: Markin21132 | October 5, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Go with a #48 Horton jersey. I can't really thinl of another memorable #48 from the past.

Can anyone else come up with some other Redskin #48?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | October 5, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Sween,

You need some help with RI FF? Is this what you need?

Posted by: Markin21132 | October 5, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I like how the Skins are going with Tryon. He's a 4th round pick...Let'em play!!!

Oh...by the way can we play with a weak safety, strong safety, and a Tryon safety?

Posted by: rickyroge | October 5, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't Terry Allen #48?

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 5, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Oops - he was #21! I just think of ST when I think #21.

Stephen Davis was #48 - got the right position, just the wrong guy!

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 5, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Tryon will match up great against Jackson. They're both bound to make stupid, cocky, selfish, "look at me" mistakes... hopefully canceling each other out of the equation that is Redskins vs. Eagles.

I'm TiVoing the game today. The girl and I want to watch it together so we can talk trash face to face. HAIL.

Posted by: Dorf | October 5, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

As far as a defensive player jersey I'd go with LL. Cooley is another possibilty.

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Tryon will be activated today.

I'm just wondering... does DeSean Jackson return punts for Philly?

Posted by: RedskinWillie | October 5, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

My vote goes to Fletcher. He is the heart and soul of our D.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 5, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Updated with Iggles' outies.
Hit refresh.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 5, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks everybody. Lol. I am on record as NOT being a believer in Horton so he is a definite no. Besides I think I am stuck with an established player since I don't have time to have a custom one made. I am leaning towards Fletcher I think. As for Arrington, if he was a favorite of yours then wear it proudly. I always thought he was over rated and bailed on him completely when he complained about Marty ball when that scheme got him his best season as a pro. I would get a Durant JErsey before him. And this should start some stuff, the only announcer I like less than Arrington is Brian Mitchell.

I was also thinking about Rocky for a jersey.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 5, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse