Stafford likely to return from injured shoulder vs. Redskins

Detroit's second-year quarterback Matthew Stafford is expected to return to the starting lineup Sunday against Washington after suffering a separated passing shoulder in a Week 1 loss to Chicago.

Stafford -- the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft -- has played in 11 games and missed 11 games in his brief NFL career. In Week 3 last season at Ford Field, Stafford passed for 241 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions in leading the Lions to a 19-14 victory over the Redskins. The win ended their losing streak at 19 games.

The Lions are counting on having Stafford to lead them against the Redskins at Ford Field.

"He better be" back, Coach Jim Schwartz said. "When he got injured last year, he separated his non-throwing shoulder, he played four days later. Number one, he played the next play for the touchdown pass that won the game for us against Cleveland. Number two, he played four days later on a short week of Thanksgiving. That tells you a little bit of how tough he is and how much he wants to be out there. The Chicago situation, when he separated his shoulder, was a totally different scenario because it was his throwing shoulder.

"It was a situation where we couldn't risk him injuring it again and possibly missing a year or requiring surgery. He was going to take some time and let it heal up. When he was ready he was going to be back. We had a good backup in place and that was [former Maryland player] Shaun Hill. Shaun did a nice job of keeping us competitive in games. We were able to take our time with Matt. We were able to do the right thing for him, our team and the long term by getting him healthy and by not being in a rush to get him back on the field."

By Jason Reid  | October 29, 2010; 11:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jim Haslett calls London Fletcher's consecutive-games streak "amazing"
Next: Redskins will have their hands full with 'Megatron'

Comments

Stafford throws a pick in the FIRST quarter. Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 29, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

This guy has separated both shoulders over the past 2 years? Wow! Is he like that Lethal Weapon charater now, Riggs? Doesn't sound too good for a QB.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 29, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Stafford is the Greg Oden of NFL QB's. With the way the 'Skins have been knocking the ever-loving crap out of people, the Kittens may end up pulling someone out of the stands to play in the second half.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 29, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

So what, you have us getting a safety at the end to pad our lead? Good change, how did it take for you to think of that?

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 10:49 AM

How about 2 Td's and 4 field goals for his predicted 26 points? Occam's razor dude.

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 29, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I don't care if it's 8 FG's and a safety, or how about an NFL record 13 safeties in one game??? As long as we win, don't matter to me!
Wow, didn't know I'd be having to do math on a post today! "Now class, how many different ways can we get to 26?"

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 11:09 AM

Haha...you're the one who brought up the Magical Safety monk! Someone is in a mood today! It's Friday!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 29, 2010 11:14 AM

If the Lions actually did that it might be an upgrade over Drew Stanton...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 29, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Is she related to Trung? Yeah, Reischea is smokin' like Al Koken. I bet she's freaky-deaky. Michelle B. is ridiculously hot. I'd gargle with her diarrhea.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 29, 2010 10:41 AM

I think Poopy is back!!! I knew it, can't stay away from the poop comments can you?

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Stafford throws a pick in the FIRST quarter. Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 29, 2010 11:12 AM

And Haynesworth will get a sack ruled roughing the passer and the pick is denied. Book it!

Posted by: dcsween | October 29, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

My weekly predictions:

-Running game racks up 150 + rushing
-McNabb has a solid performance with two TD's; one to Cooley and one to AA
Torain gets one TD
Special Teams gets on TD
Orakapo gets a stripped sack that leads to one of the above

Final score 28-20 Skins

HTTR

Posted by: Devo2 | October 29, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 29, 2010 11:14 AM

If the Lions actually did that it might be an upgrade over Drew Stanton...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 29, 2010 11:22 AM |

I thought Shaun Hill did a really fine job representin' as a former 'Terp. Too bad he snapped one of his twigs.

There is a 0.0% chance this is a trap-game for the Skins. Further, all the attention being paid to Suh may well light another fire under Haynes-girth.

I still can't get over how a 6'6", 350lb man was able to leap over the line as Haney did last week.

He looked like a big fat salmon propelling itself out of the water as it swims upstream.

The Kittens do have a stout OL so this will be a match-up worth watching.

My last question is whether Graham Ga-nooooooo will be able to kick better indoors. If he 'doinks' any in this game, he's in a 'gots to go' situation.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 29, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

We'll all be holding our breath in anticipation of you return.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 29, 2010 10:14 AM

Oh good...the Bloggin' Fonzie is back...who ya going to lift to the ground next?

Hope I was gone long enought for you to pass out....Ayyyyyy...sit on it Potsy.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I thought winning would improve this blog's overall quality but now I'm not so sure. Before, we knew what was wrong...now that there aren't epic disasters to discuss, we've got guys trying to ditch the heart of our team like McNabb, Fletch, and DHall. UFB...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 29, 2010 10:59 AM
------------------------------------------
So, the quality of the blog goes down when someone has a seriously different point of view than you? You talk about being unbelievable. And when did you become the D. Hall fan? Seems to me that prior to last weekend you were slamming him pretty hard - especially after that Texans game.

I always said keeping McNabb was a good idea, so don't try to lump in what I said about Hall and Fletcher with that. As I said, I like Fletcher, but this isn't the right defense for him. Heart of the team or not, sometimes you have to let them go. Philly did it with Dawkins, San Diego did with Seau, heck - even London has been dropped from two teams. The reality is he is a 35 year old linebacker miscast in the 3-4. Wouldn't dream of letting him go this year but next year? Next year he is 36 and there will be some young guys waiting in the wings.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 29, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Way to kill the vibe sween...long time, no see by the way.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 29, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

You started it with all of that 26 POINTS crap! And as far as my mood, I'm actually feeling pretty good. Some idiots are trying to get me to lower myself to THEIR level. I'm trying to ITA, but I'm feeling like Pacino in the last Godfather, "Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in!"
Hey how about ITN - Ignore The NERD!
hahaha, thought you'd like that one!

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I would leave a comment but we have guys who are better than me at that. I'm only going to comment on posts about the nickel package.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | October 29, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

You started it with all of that 26 POINTS crap!

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 11:35 AM

Sorry but I can't control what the number crunching machine spits out!

ITA is now officially ITN....don't tell Hess.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Stafford throws a pick in the FIRST quarter. Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 29, 2010 11:12 AM

Posted by: dcsween | October 29, 2010 11:29 AM |

As long as he renders Matt "Mr. Glass" Stafford bloody and broken, I'll live with it.

Here's another mini-prediction:

After a key defensive play by Haney (timely sack, 4th down stuffage or just a key 3-and-out) the camera will catch Shanny 5 yards onto the field high-fiving Haney and any amateur lip-reader will be able to detect Shanny mouthing "F*ck yeeeaaahhh mother f*cker!"

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 29, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bosshog7169 | October 29, 2010 11:36 AM |

Clever.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 29, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | October 29, 2010; 11:00 AM ET

No, really? I thought Stafford was going to take a bribe from Snyder and throw the game! Great job Reid, thanks for this breaking news!!!

BTW, I don't think Lions Insider would put up with this mess, why does the WAPO?

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

RSH, don't get so sensitive...I didn't "lump you in the McNabb group". I said the blog is going crazy now that we can't all unite in the "fire and/or kill Vinny" stanza and we're now nitpicking the team's best players to the Nth degree. Finding fault in Fletch and DHall on the heels of their best game of the year is a bit nitpicky, wouldn't you say? Greasing the skids for a McNabb trade to Minnesota coming off a bad game in Week 7 is jumping the gun a bit, agreed?

It's easy to say "hey, he's getting old...let's replace him". In the examples you cited, the Eagles are just now addressing the loss of Dawkins two years later. If I recall correctly, there wasn't an in-house replacement lined up for Seau right away and I don't think SD was any good when they got rid of him anyway. We're in the thick of things for a division title and/or playoff spot and you're talking about cutting/trading two of our top 3 or 4 defensive players. That would be crazy.

I could see what you're saying if Rocky and 'Los weren't FAs next year. But you're talking about having to replace BOTH of your ILBs and BOTH of your starting CBs in the same offseason when we don't have the picks to replace them. So either we keep the guys we have that are performing or we go to FA and commit the same sins that got us into a mess to begin with. I think the former is the more likely scenario.

I think if DHall or Fletch are going anywhere, it won't be anytime before the 2012 offseason. But I guess we'll find out who's right soon enough...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 29, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 29, 2010 10:41 AM

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 11:28 AM

Right, and wrong:

Poopy is back as DixontheDog
Peronal_Fowl is the racist homophobe, No_Punt_Intended

Posted by: beep-beep | October 29, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Not really...only one of 'em was actually informative so you could forget the other 6 and count yourself as smarter for doing so.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 29, 2010 10:26 AM

Hey...one out of seven ain't bad...unless you're a kicker...but thats a pretty good day for JReid and RI!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Poopy is back as Dixon_the_Dog
Peronal_Fowl is the racist homophobe, No_Punt_Intended

Posted by: beep-beep | October 29, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Are they brothers, they seem similar to me. Oh well. I fixed his name above for ya!

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Stafford likely to injure shoulder vs. Redskins

By Jason Reid | October 29, 2010; 11:00 AM ET

Damn Reid...do we have to fix everything for you!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 29, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Actually, some days they don't even put out 2 posts let alone 7. Your expectations for them are WAY too high. I'm surprised the NERDS can even muster up enough energy to get outta bed!

Hey, there's an idea! What if Reid is in his tighty-whities cutting and pasting in his bed? Eww, sorry bout the mental image.....

Posted by: monk811 | October 29, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Beeps Peeps

Posted by: kaasmaster | October 29, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Megatron BEEPS

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 29, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Stafford back? Nothing AH and LL30 can't fix!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | October 29, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I think this post wins the "No S***" award...

Posted by: JoelV | October 29, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse