Star War: Tank Rips Rock

Jason Reid reports:

Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Tank Johnson had to be restrained after return specialist Rock Cartwright stood on the 50-yard line star at Texas Stadium yesterday as he celebrated Washington's 26-24 victory.

"This is how it is. When you win, you win with class. When you lose, you lose with class," Johnson said. "One of their guys, Cartwright, took it upon himself to celebrate on our star.

"It's the fourth game of the season. No one has accomplished anything but a win. That's just disrespectful and I don't think we'd do that to them. And I'm surprised he did that to us."

The Redskins could celebrate however they pleased, Cartwright said. "He was a little frustrated that we won," Cartwright said. "He got mad that I went and stood at the middle of the star.

"I went to say hello to everybody, and he got mad that I stood at the middle of the star. It is what it is. I'm past it. I'm not worried about it. I think they're just mad that we came in and got a win today. It's part of the game. You win some, you lose some."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 28, 2008; 10:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Springs Says He May Have Strained Calf
Next: Skins-Cowboys: Monday Morning H-Back

Comments

Sore loser.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

So Rock pulled a T.O.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Didn't this guy spend some time in jail for having a load of guns and ammo? I didn't realize the 'star' was such a sacred symbol.

Posted by: az_david | September 28, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Love it. Tank should go talk to TO about people doing that, since TO did it when he was on the opposing team! HHAHAAHA

Posted by: Club320 | September 28, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Tank Johnson = Class.................HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: virtueandvice | September 28, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Go Rock. Pull a TO on these girls!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

as a life long skins fan that now lives in chicago...Tank Johnson is an engima. Here is a guy who is a fantastic player who was busted with a cache of guns and ammo. If that were me, I would shut my mouth the rest of my career. Rock knows players on the Cowboys and maybe got carried away, but he definitely did not pull a TO back in the day..and Go bears, beat the eagles and help out the skinnies!!

Posted by: spiders13 | September 28, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that was too cool if he was doing any kind of "celebrating" while on the Star (as a fan, I would have done it if given the opportunity), but a player shouldn't do this kind of stuff, TO did that a long time ago and I remember thinking "good for [COWBOYS' DEFEINSIVE PLAYER(whoever it was at the time)] for going after him", not real cool Rock, appreciate the emotion though, oh yeah, enjoy it, and be ready for more Rock.

Posted by: craig2 | September 28, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Tank should worry more about what TO is sayin than what Rock is doing!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Tank Johnson is talking about having class - is Pacman Jones going to make a comment as well? Gimme a break.

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 28, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, you think you can find any video of Rock doing this?

Posted by: craig2 | September 28, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

really interesting post game show...greg blache went nuts (as much as you can with strawberry shortcake) when strawberry shortcake mentioned "prevent defense" at the end of first half and the last TD by the girls...

i wanted go thru my tv screen and be like "hey!!!" but our lovely strawberry shortcake handled it brilliantly. hmmmm she would've been a better pick than palin.

diddy, dude!!!! i can't beleeeeeee your bret favreh is going to end my streak. i'm down by 6 with PT TE to play and you got ravens RB to play.

looks like the iggles are going to lose

man! cartwright's better than that!! last guy to do that was T fing O!! he's not in good company...

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I love the smell of fresh Cowboy whining!

Posted by: acoberst1 | September 28, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Hi. My name is Terrell Owens. I am in the same locker room as you. I once stood on the star TWICE IN THE SAME GAME WHILE THE GAME WAS STILL IN PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!! The owner of the Cowboys sold his soul for me! I own him now. And you, Tank, talk about class????? You have no class unless you stand on the star DURING A GAME WEARING ANOTHER TEAMS UNIFORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW, got any guns in your car? I have a quarterback I would love to punk right about now.

Posted by: virtueandvice | September 28, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

It was after the game - why is that insulting? If it was during the game I could understand that more. I just don't get it. Tank lost and has to say something; it's sad.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 28, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 28, 2008 10:22 PM

Ha. Dont care who you are, thats funny.

Posted by: Club320 | September 28, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Well sorry I have to disagree with you all but part of the game is about sportsmanship and if Rock celebrated on their start as Johnson says, then he was wrong. I agree this guy has no business even using the word class, but if I were the Cowboys there would have had to have been a fight. Everybody condemned TO when he did it and said he was an arrogant idiot, etc, etc. So at best Rock should be judges the same. Whats worse is it isnt even original since TO did it first. i like Rock a lot, but that is wrong. That is their home.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | September 28, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

dbrine1261, cL does not need any defending, but I do know he knows football. Horton may make mistakes, but he is a rookie. Chill dude, he has made more PLAYS then mistakes for this team!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

i totally forgot pacman jones is on their team...LOL!!! please tell me he played today!!!!! didn't hear his name at all...though my volume was at 12...

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I hear the Wambulance whining in the distance.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 28, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

btw...i recorded this game and put a lock on it! my password is 2222 (just a note to myself)

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Tank Johnson, Terrell Owens, Pac Man Jones, Jerry Jones...

Yep, the Cowboys are about class.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 28, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

. i like Rock a lot, but that is wrong. That is their home.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | September 28, 2008 10:26 PM

Then they should have defended it better. F 'em.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------
Yeah he returns punts. Almost got his head ripped off. But why throw at Pacman when you have Terrence Newman on the other side?

Newman got beat of the Moss deep pass, the Thrash TD, and I believe the El TD.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 28, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Would've been more CowPie-like if Rock had laid down on the star and started Charles Haley-ing.

Posted by: daggar | September 28, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

The Cowboys ought to be glad the 'Skins didn't dig the goldarned star out of the ground and bring it back to Washington. We owned them and they have no right to the star or to even their own locker rooms. How pathetic to stand around after the game and whine "they stood on our star." If you don't want them to stand on your stupid star, then don't let them.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbrine1261 | September 28, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

You just don't stop! This is probably the last Skins game in this stadium. Great move by Rock, especially after all the hate we got this week from the national media!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

And one more thing. I'm watching Philly tonight ane we're beating them next Sunday if we play like we did today.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

one of the things i LOVE about this team is that they played as if THEY EXPECTED to win. now people who EXPECT to win and they win the FOURTH game of the season. they do NOT celebrate as if they did what the giants did to the patriots in the superbowl.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

i like Rock a lot, but that is wrong. That is their home.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | September 28, 2008 10:26 PM

Whatever. I am sorry, BUT F DALLAS. They were in no mood for a fight after getting their butt kicked. Its called a RIVALRY friend. You know like Harvey Martin tossing a funeral wreath in the Skins locker room after they had eliminated Washington from the playoffs. Is what it is...

Posted by: Club320 | September 28, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

also i think i heard zorn say after the game that this team is not emotional. and i love that. that's what professionals do. their job to the best of their ability.

i LOVED it when jerrah came down to the sidelines...ohh and that face when they got called for 12 men on the field and then when they didn't recover the onside kick. that was a SCARY kick!

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Are there other areas of the field we have to stay off of? The hash mark at the 32-yard line perhaps?

Posted by: daggar | September 28, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I was just looking at the "official blog" and it looks like the whole team was celebrating on the star.

and scroll down.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

According to Wikipedia (so it's of course true), TO went to the star TWICE DURING the game. Not that it was the smartest move, but at least it was at the end of the game. From wiki:

"On September 24, 2000 in Dallas, Terrell Owens showed off his excitement after his two touchdown catches by running from the endzone to midfield and celebrating on the Dallas Cowboys' famous star logo. The second time Owens made a trip to the star, then Cowboys safety George Teague hit him during the celebration, sending him sprawling to the turf. Teague would be ejected for his actions, while Owens was suspended for a week by his head coach and was fined $24,000 which was equal to a week's pay. The celebration and subsquent hit were named one of the ten most memorable moments in the history of Texas Stadium by ESPN in 2008"

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 28, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbrine1261 | September 28, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Time to dig the thong out of your crack and get real. "That is there home". Please!!! How long have you been a Redskin fan? Two days???!!! Get a life!

Posted by: virtueandvice | September 28, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

What's with the great Desean Jackson, rookie WR for the iggles tonight? Don't knock the Skins draft until after next year!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

man! i have to watch that game again...with the volume full blast...and locked in a room where no one can reach me...

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 10:30 PM |

Hell, if Philly plays like they are playing right now, KC would beat em.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Just an fyi here, but Brandon Lloyd hurt his knee and left the Bears' game.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | September 28, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

also...those 2 calls agains rabach were BULL SHT I and looked like make up calls and to keep the game close. that was such load of crap.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

news to me I didn't realize tank played.....

Dbrine really? Ok....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 28, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------
Remember Westbrook, the original Reggie Bush, is out. If Reggie Brown is coming back healthy to go with DeSean Jackson and Hank Baskett, watch out. And then when Kevin Curtis comes back? They are going to be tough to stop no matter how well we play.

I will say that their D isnt really impressing me at the moment. I mean, the Bears have hung 21 offensive points on them, plus Dallas went off...

I dunno but from where I sit you give them the nod on the offensive side of the ball and us on the defensive side of the ball.

That said, we left some plays out there on the field, like Rogers holding on 3rd down on Dallas' first scoring drive. If we cut down on boneheaded errors and continue to make strides on offense, it should be another good game at least.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 28, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I love it. This team has made this season fun.

Cowboys learn little things mean a lot

Posted: September 28, 2008
IRVING, Texas -- Five lasting impressions from the Washington Redskins' 26-24 victory over the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday:

1. Cowboys must pay more attention to detail.

The little inconsistencies, masked by wins, that the Cowboys showed during their 3-0 start bit them on Sunday. Problems in coverage. Inconsistency on offense. Costly mistakes in critical situations. Bad penalties, including one for 12 men on the field.

Last year, Dallas whistled its way past all such issues, right on through to its early grave in the playoffs. Swearing it won't happen again is one thing. Making sure it doesn't when the margin of error is much smaller, in January, is another. It's at least worth keeping an eye on, especially with a coach whose rear will get awfully toasty without significant success in the postseason.

2. Jason Campbell is an elite quarterback.

Not tomorrow or in two weeks or two years. Right now.

He's far from out of place in a division that boasts three pretty good QBs in Tony Romo, Eli Manning and Donovan McNabb. Today he showed why he could have as good a 2008 season as any of them.

His command of the Redskins' offense, his elusiveness in the pocket and his accuracy were all top-notch -- better than Romo's on this day. He's a big reason why the forgotten team in the NFL's heavyweight circuit has a chance to compete.

3. Dallas' defense isn't quite right.

Give the beleaguered defense credit for this: While the Cowboys' offense guarded against the gun it had pointed at its feet, the defense held the club in the game.

Did Dallas shut down Washington? Not even close. But on money plays, in the red zone, the defense came through. Part of it was luck -- Washington had two touchdowns called back because of penalties by center Casey Rabach. More of it was plucky play in key situations. The Redskins got inside the 20 five times, yet only hit paydirt twice.

Of course, there is the matter of Dallas allowing Washington to consistently drive the field in the first place. That tells you a defense that cost a lot, both in hefty contracts and first-round picks (Dallas has taken just one offensive player in the first round in the past 11 drafts), isn't playing as it should.

4. Redskins coach Jim Zorn deserves a lot of credit.

The Washington team I saw today was miles ahead of the one I watched first-hand in the season opener.

And as good a coach as former coordinator Gregg Williams is, the defense seems to be missing nothing with Greg Blache in his place. Even without end Jason Taylor, the Redskins were able to get to Tony Romo, shrinking the pocket and forcing some risky tosses out of the confined space.

They also were able to cover the Cowboys' receivers. To deal with Terrell Owens as well as they did, considering that the Redskins didn't overcompensate with too much safety help for Shawn Springs (before his injury) or Carlos Rogers, was impressive.

If the coaches keep doing what they're doing, this Washington team will be in thick of it all the way through.

5. The NFC East could be even deeper than we thought.

All of us were saying how the division had, perhaps, three of the top four or five clubs in the league. Maybe even the best three, period. That was without the Redskins in the mix. Toss them in, and this should be one heck of a race to follow.

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why you guys continue to feel the need to look ignorant, but this Chris Horton thing has gone too far. If you like him and think he is already good in his 4th game then like him. The facts do not support you. In every one of my posts I have said he is a rookie and deserves some slack, but for the most part he is lost out there. He runs to the play only after it is made. I can't help it if you guys don't like it, but if you can't see it. then let me repeat, YOU ARE NOT KNOWLEDGEBLE ABOUT THE GAME. You can only see what the TV shows you which is less than 10% of the game. Go to a game and sit in the end zone, you can see it all coming at you. In one game you will increase your football IQ by 100% if you pay attention at all. You can defend whatever poster you like, you can not like me, you can disagree, but the facts are the facts. If we had anyone that could play the position, a 7th round rookie would not be starting. I can't teach you or Chris or matt the game on this blog. I left the other page and you followed me here, give it up. Be a blind homer or whatever you like, but give up wasting space on here chastising me. My guess is everyone on here believes they know the game, otherwise they wouldn't make such silly posts. I have nothing else to say about Chris Horton, Chris Larry, Matt or you. So once again, enjoy the win., enjoy the game, enjoy this blog, and have a nice night.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | September 28, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Here's a youtube of TO's. It's actually funny b/c the commentator mentions Teague getting a penalty right before he comes into the frame. That, and Emmett Smith went and celebrated in it too.

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 28, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

That was a totally great game. I am miffed the national media is spinning it that the Cowboys had a chance at the end with the on side kick. The truth is that they were dang lucky to be that close.
You really see what kind of hear Dallas has. quick, get then some freakin Kleenex!!!!

Go Skins!!!!

Posted by: GLFLVER3 | September 28, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Sure, Chris Horton is "lost out there."

All he's done in 4 games is intercept 3 passes and recover 1 fumble.

He's a bum.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 28, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Now it's letting me post. I have nothing real insightful to say. Just happy I can post now.

Posted by: CDon | September 28, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, we can all be quite nearsighted, and apparently, I was as well.

I expected Jasno to posting about the big Skins victory today.

How stupidly foolish of me to not stop and think about Jasno being out of town, catching a flight etc. etc.

My bad, my apologies to Jasno

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 28, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------

Are you being sarcastic? He's got about 50 more yards in this game then our top 3 draft picks do all season. Plus a TD. And hes had two 100+ yard receiving games already. Hes had a couple fumbles, but with those stats I think you can let those slide early in the season.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 28, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

it sure looks like that he wasn't the only one there...yep the whole teams is on the star. in the middle of it. would love it if tank is just making this up...

hey karen, i saw a girl wearing a t-shirt that said "jesus loves this chic with two thumbs pointing at her chest" and i thought of you...

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

is westbrook playing next week?

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbrine1261 | September 28, 2008 10:39 PM
My man, we did not see your resume as a DC, posted sorry! Everyone knows Horton is a rookie and time will tell. thats cool. But enjoy the ride! He has 3 picks and a fumble recovery and was POW two weeks ago. Are you like Castanza? We fly you in a private jet but you want the Ted Danson jet!!?

Posted by: Club320 | September 28, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

oops, here's the youtube link:

Although the pic on the Skins site looks all Skins, but could it be the prayer some of the players do at the end of the game? They do it in the middle of the field at FedEx.

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 28, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I cant believe i am still up answering silly posts, but as for the people who think one of our players celebrating on the star of their field is ok, I wonder what you will do when it happens here the next time they win here? I am sure you won't think it is ok or anything else, you will want to fight. i think somebody on the cowboys should have tried to knock his head off. Just a sombody tried to do when TO did it. As I said, if you thought when TO did it that it was ok, then stick to your unsportsmanlike opinion, but if it was wrong for him, then it was wrong for Rock. I think it was, I was happy just winning the game. Celebrate in your locker room, or on the field when you are home. Thats all, it is called class. I am really really going to bed now so have at the comments.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | September 28, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Good night everyone, and HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 28, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

dbrine1261, show me where he hurt the team. Where he hurt the teams chances? Are you really a dallas fan. Stop already!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

dbrine1261, you don't know as much about football as YOU THINK you do.

and:

and scroll down.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse
The pic you are referring to, is PRE-game.

Posted by: craig2 | September 28, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Jason La Confora is a fag

Posted by: robskins | September 28, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Sure, Chris Horton is "lost out there."

All he's done in 4 games is intercept 3 passes and recover 1 fumble.

He's a bum.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 28, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
Amen. Hes a good tackler, a hard hitter, and has game speed. Not real clear why dbrine1261 has such an axe to grind. Horton produces, hes our best strong safety, and our defense plays better when he is on the field.

If you cant see that from the end zone, you must have really crappy tickets (like, outside)

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 28, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Here's the problem I've got with Rock's little celebration... Dallas is a good team. Do you really want to give them additional motivation when they play at FedEx?

Posted by: NewMexSkin | September 28, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I need for someone to post a YouTube of Clinton Portis' TD celebration. It was the greatest.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | September 28, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbrine1261 | September 28, 2008 10:47 PM

What the h ell kind of skins fan are you? This is the hated dallas cowgirls!! If they don't want someone celebrating on their star, then they better win the game. Especially if they are 11.5 point favorites!!! If they come here and beat us, fine, let them celebrate where they want, but don't begrudge where OUR team celebrates!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

BTW, based on Rocks comments, it may not be what "TANK" said it was. Rock said he was talking to Dallas players and Tank seemed upset about losing...

Posted by: Club320 | September 28, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh wow! I think I need a new line. "It's never too late for the 'skins to lose" just isn't cutting it anymore!!! I love this team all the time, but when we win, IN dallas? awesome, just plain awesome

As for Rock, i guess it wasn't the best move, but come on, how many could say they wouldn't have done the same thing

Posted by: downtheshoregal | September 28, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

What makes that star a place of reverance. It shucks when you lose at home, the other team gets to celebrate. That's the way it goes. Win at home and no other team gets the opportunity to dance on the star.

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand dbrine - I mean if you're going to say that Horton is lost you gotta give an example or two (or any). IMO the fact that Doughty was playing that part of the field whenever anyone piled up yac's for the cowgirls means that Horton should be the starter and stay in every down. Doughty can be a benchwarmer except in the cobra package.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 28, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Did Tank Johnson even play?

He's not credited with ANY defensive stats in today's game.

And for the season, he has a total of 2 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 INTs.

Maybe Tank should worry more about his own game - or lack thereof - instead of what Rock Cartwright is doing.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 28, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

can't believe horton doubters out there...wow! the dude made the biggest play of the game. 3 games he's played in he's gotten to 4 balls.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

In the "power rankings" the Skins should be only, like, five or six slots below Dallas this week!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 28, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if we are ahead of Zona in the power rankings after this week!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

we need bill simmons e-mail address...posted up here

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Am going to enjoy the Skins haters in the media having to choke on their words about the Skins this week! It is going to pain them to rank the Skins in the top 5!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

dbrine, there is always one, and your it tonight....congrats my man!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 28, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 28, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

None of us understand dbrine because none of us have his prestigious 'football IQ' which apparently is bestowed by the endzone seating section at FedEx field.

Apparently my 'football IQ' is rather low, because my definition of a safety being in position involves him being around the ball.

My 'football IQ' is apparently even lower because I know the strong safety typically draws more man assignments, and does NOT simply drop into a zone all the time where the QB knows where the QB can conveniently expect him to be every play.

But what do I know? Endzone seats apparently boost your 'football IQ' even when the team plays on the road.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 28, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

From Don Banks tonight:

• There was not a thing fluky about the Redskins' road upset of the previously 3-0 Cowboys. Washington beat Dallas soundly, even though the final score was only 26-24. This should put a dose of smelling salts under the Cowboys' noses, because while they generated talk of being the NFL's best team in the season's first three weeks, the reality is they're not even the best team in their division. In fact, they're not even the second-best team in the NFC East. I'll take the Giants (3-0) and the Redskins (3-1) over them, and the Eagles are just a half-step behind.

What a division. It's a shame the NFC East can't supply three wild-card playoff teams.

Posted by: mmkestner1 | September 28, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm in favor of pretty much anything that fosters this rivalry... and that includes Rock Cartwright dancing on that dopey star.

This rivalry has always been at its best when both teams are good. And I think it's safe to say that, this season, both teams are pretty doggone good. Today our team was better than theirs. A good bit better.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 28, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

sorry you're

Posted by: chrislarry | September 28, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Horton has been the single biggest spark plug on the Skins defense this season, including tonight. He made some really solid tackles early in the game and that interception was a thing of beauty.

Then watching Doughty miss tackles throughout thegame I am sure glad we have Horton back there.

Posted by: isnadd | September 28, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 28, 2008 11:09 PM

Could not have said it better. If only I had Endzone seats!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

The Ickles wear Green at home, right?

We might be able to bust out those sweet White on White unis that we've had luck with. They seem to play at a different level when they pull those unis out.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 28, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

The Skins are who they thought they were.

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 28, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

If the Eagles win this one, the NFC will still be Oh-fer against the NFC East.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 28, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

f--- Dallas! F--- tank!!! F--- Texas stadium!!! F--- this blog!

Posted by: Lacantwrite | September 28, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Out of curiosity... am I the only one who wasn't watching the game through my hands? Granted I was memorizing amino acid structures (big exam tomorrow), but still, I didn't close my eyes to anything.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 28, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Karen, I'm with you -- I refused to do any real celebrating until we executed those three increasingly sweet kneel-downs... then and only then did I relax... good gravy, that felt great!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 28, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Redskins games are a time for my cat to stay out of projectile range. When its Dallas... its time to lock himself in the bathroom and ignores the screams.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 28, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Karen, I watched with eyes wide open and my heart in my hand, but believed that we were who we thought we were (we being the SKINS)!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I also avoided celebrating until the very end. However, I wasn't looking at the TV above the rim of my textbook or anything trying to avoid the sight.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 28, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Mike Wise's article for tomorrow and the following quote by him is spot on:

"The Cowboys are a great, eye-candy team as long as someone isn't lodging their right shoulder into Romo's abdomen or clinging to T.O. or Jason Witten like annoying gnats. Dallas puts up nice Fantasy League points, but in the Cowboys' defining moment a year ago, a nasty Giants defense knocked them down and out."

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

When we went up 17-7, we were playing with house money. That was a calm as I've ever been for a CowPies game.

Posted by: daggar | September 28, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I was a little frustrated when they conceded 3 at the half. They went into halftime with momentum, and then took the kickoff right down the field to start the 2nd half.

And I hope I never have to watch a 3 man rush on our 20 yard line... That was awful

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 28, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

watch espn breakdown the game, all from a cowboys perspective....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 28, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

daggar, yep! 17-7 was like..."ohh we got this!"

matt, strawberry shortcake almost got killed by greg blache when she axed him about "prevent defense" on those 2 drives you talking about. he basically said he knew what he was doing and it was all a plan and it worked.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 28, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the Cowgirls are full of class!
Great win but we still have a lot of room for improvement. The season is looking a hell of a lot better than it did after week 1 though!

Posted by: COskins | September 28, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

The Cowgirl Hater's Post Game Analysis

Santana Moss continues to occupy the corner office with the big desk and the great view of the park - Moss is BOSS of the Cowpaddies. It doesn't matter how many gun-toting, strip-club-loving, handcuff-sporting, lawyer-hiring thugs get added to the defense in the offseason, the 'Girls continue to have NO ANSWER for Santana.

I also keep hearing about some ProBowl running back that is apparently on the Cowpie roster. They keep rolling out this guy named Marion Barber, but after last year's -6 yard rushing performance against the Skins, he followed it up with a whopping 28 yards. So it can't be him. If someone knows who this supposed ProBowl back is, you may want to inform the Cowboys to suit him up b/c he could probably help them.

By the middle of the 3rd quarter, the Dallas Whine Festival was in full gear, featuring all kinds of vintages: Romo Merlot, Phillips Sheraz, and the annual winner of the Whine Festival - T.O. Chardonnay. Yes, after every incomplete pass, someone with a star on their helmet was pouting to the ref about wanting a flag. Sorry, guys. You actually have to make plays - but I think they just wanted to borrow the flag to wipe their sniffles, and I can understand that.

Speaking of T.O. and whining, he was in full form after the game. Throwing the team under the bus, as his custom, he complained about not getting the ball enough (this after 20 of the Cowgirls 61 plays were run to him). But I always look forward to T.O.'s post game performances - whether it is crying or pouting. After all, it's not everyday you get to see a 9 year old trapped in the body of a 31 year old athlete. So let's enjoy T.O. while we can.

Then in the 4th quarter, the Skins disciplined the 'Paddies like Goodell suspending Pacman. Much like a principal grabbing the scruff of an unruly schoolboy and dragging him to detention, the Skins and CP grabbed the 4th quarter and dragged the Cowgirls defense through a 7 minute drive to essentially kill off the game.

And so we say goodbye to Texas Stadium with that last snapshot memory of Jerry Jones trying to whince an expression of dismay as Sam Hurd muffed the onside kick...at least I think Jerry Jones was trying to make an expression, but it's hard to say since his face doesn't move anymore after all the Botox injections. Oh, well.

If Tank really did try to go after Rock, then I'm calling Tank's P.O. That's got to be a violation of his probation.

HAIL!

Posted by: p1funk | September 28, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: farstriker | September 28, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Even Deion said that Santana is a "Cowboy Killa."

Is anyone else just sick to death of hearing about our "horrible" defeat by the Giants???? Every media outlet has mentioned it today.

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 28, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

lisa, embrace the bad press, feed off it...it gives the skins power!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 28, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

farstriker, I was completely wrong on this, too... thought we were going to put up a fight and lose... SO VERY GLAD to have been wrong on this game!

My full prediction was that we'd lose this one and win the rematch at our place... I'm sticking with my prediction on the rematch :)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or does NBC Sports have some sort of audio mixing problem where the crowd noise makes the announcers way too garbled? I first noticed this during the hockey playoffs -- when the coverage switched from "VS" (is that even a legal network name), the announcers were really hard to hear. I shrugged it off at the time, but it was really noticeable tonight.

Posted by: daggar | September 29, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Good articles from WaPo, but if you want a nice laugh, read this:

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 29, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

F Sports_Guru, F Corkczar, F Stephen A. Smith, F the Romosexuals, HAIL SKINS!!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 7:55 PM

I come on the board to celebrate and see a bunch of classless clueless haters acitng like the spoiled three year old children they are.

You top the list...You are an embarrassment as a Redskin fan.

"F" Him,. "F" Me. "F" Romosexuals (GAWD is THAT clever.) You wouldn't have the balls to say anything to anyone's face, but you are brave here. What a MAN!!!

Do everyone a favro, Take your allegiance and root for Dallas Al Qaeda and Satan....That's your speed.

Oh, and HTTR!

To the real fans.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 29, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Anything else La Corkczar? You said 4-12 for this season. Acted just like a girls fan and Jasno. And you wonder why someone would say F Corkczar? Stop being a hater and be a fan and maybe, just maybe, you will be treated like one!

Posted by: donj1963 | September 29, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

and scroll down.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse
The pic you are referring to, is PRE-game.

Posted by: craig2 | September 28, 2008 10:50 PM |
Cool man, I did say looks like, I wasn't sure. I can live with that mistake.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Scampbell, thanks for the post of the e-mail you sent Stephen A. Let me know if he responds!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 29, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

SHOUT OUTS

To the old dissed vets...

Rock cartwright, who many wanted to write off and replace with new blood...

To James Thrash...that "washed up" wideout.

To Jon Jansen..who many suggest should have been cut..

And especially to that GREYBEARD OLINE...

Small, elderly, recovering from injuries...they were a beautiful thing today. Getting Portis more than 100...protecting campbell...running times off the clock.

They DOMINATED a younger bigger dallas Dline.

SPRINGS: Healthy he's the best the redskins have,. Oh let him be healthy.

Double Move--THREE STRAIGHT defenses against TO. Beautiful.

Smoot. Tough as Nails...

The LBS. A GREAT game. Filling gaps, tackling beautifully.

Demetric Evans: Who knows why Dallas didn't run. But with a runstuffer at LDE, they didn't try.

The KIDS: Brooks..Horton...

SANTANA MOSS: Oh how they have to HATE him in Dallas...

Zorn. Fastest Playcalling learning curve I've ever seen.

He's the real deal.

STAY HEALTHY..Redskins...

Posted by: Corkczar | September 29, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Curzon, from that article comes the laughable notion that Clinton Portis ran "with ease"... sure as hell didn't look easy to me.

Looked like we pounded and pounded and pounded and the gains got longer and longer as we imposed our will on their defensive front... and of course that big big 31-yard scamper. But nothing easy about any of it... that was hard work, done by a guy who has always given this team nothing but hard work from the kickoff to the final gun... hero...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

The National Media says, barring a playoff meeting, the Washington Redskins made their final visit to... blah, blah blah...

I guess there is no chance that a playoff game will be played at FedEx field. F them!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 29, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmkestner1 | September 28, 2008 11:10 PM |
Thank God they can't. Oh and Corky, if you came to be a fan, then stop ripping everyone all the time and try to say something positive or something that actually makes sense once in a while.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Oh and Corky, anytime, anyplace...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Nate, a real NFC East game if I ever seen one! And we played that type of run stop, and run the ball game better than the girls did. That's how you win in the NFC (B)East!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 29, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

That's what I though Corkie, nothing to say about your 4-12 (much less your 1-4 start) prediction for the Skins. Come back when you have something to say instead of just ripping posters for what they post on here.

Posted by: donj1963 | September 29, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Love this from Mark Mosley, Mr. Dallas for ESPN, on the Skins game today!!

Make no mistake. Sunday's win bore no resemblance to a fluke. The Redskins didn't steal a game from the team alleged to be the best in football. They walked in the front door and pushed around the Sultans of September in front of their home crowd.

Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell said he ran onto the field after the game in search of his counterpart, Tony Romo. Like most of his teammates, though, Romo had sounded the retreat.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 29, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Boo on the scamp-Corky feud. Boo, boo. Boooooo.

Calm it down, dudes. Sheesh. We're better than that.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Night all, great game, great day. HAIL!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Yea Nate, you're right. Corky, I don't agree with most you say but you're a Skins fan and I can live with that. Peace and victory.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

I here by name the girls (with thanks to Mark Mosley) The Sultans of September or SoS, when spoken of on RI. Let us never again see the words Dallas, Cowboys or any other reference other than SoS!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 29, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

GO SKINS

Posted by: Brian_P_McConnell | September 29, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Curz, I made a joke above about how the "power rankings" will shake out... setting aside the "disrespect" angle, I would not be surprised to see at least some of these highly esteemed pundits keep the Cowboys ranked ahead of the Skins, just because it's so hard to admit you're wrong... pride goeth before a fall in the rankings... or such as...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Can we go ahead and start making predictions for the Iggles game?

I have us... ahem, losing this game (sorry, sorry) and then rattling off three straight wins over the Rams, Browns and Lions... making us 6-2 heading into the two prime timers against the Steelers and Cowboys... hope my prediction on the Iggles turns out like my prediction on the Cowboys...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Nate, I was hoping for a split on the SoS/iggles road trip, so even a loss there is a win for me. But after seeing this game, I believe in a win in philly!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 29, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and good work WaPo on fixing the blog!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 29, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

what a waste of a draft, no wait, synder stinks!!! No wait, cerrato is an idiot!! No wait. Hmmmmm. D@mn I have nothing!!!

Posted by: Lacantwrite | September 28, 2008 9:10 PM

Great Post!! Love those Redskins and right now this FO!!! But most especially, ZORN!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

2nd!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

***Fantasy Post****

Guest who I had to play against toady? JC17, ARE82, ans SM89. Needless to say I lost and don't really care......

I think i was beat by SFSkin?

*******End Fantasy post*********

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2008 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Nate,
I think you're right. The team will get no respect. It's not like we'll switch places with #2 ranked Dallas.

until...we beat Philly, which will be tougher since the Bears beat them today.

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 29, 2008 2:35 AM | Report abuse

As coach Wade Phillips so aptly put it, "I thought (the Redskins) outplayed us. I thought they outplayed our offense. They outplayed our defense. They outplayed our special teams and our coaches. Take your pick."

The Redskins (3-1) picked the Cowboys apart.

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 29, 2008 2:57 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins (3-1) picked the Cowboys apart.

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 29, 2008 3:00 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins (3-1) picked the Cowboys apart.

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 29, 2008 3:02 AM | Report abuse

I just like reading that over and over.

Posted by: Stumped1 | September 29, 2008 3:30 AM | Report abuse

What a game!! Had to watch the second half at work while going between patient's rooms.

Posted by: NCICURN | September 29, 2008 4:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NCICURN | September 29, 2008 4:18 AM | Report abuse

Did I miss an announcement? When did Jasno become a columnist? (His story this morning is listed right below those of Wise and Boswell.)

Very interesting.

"Bevy of Defenders Slow Witten"

"On Football »The Redskins executed a detailed and diverse game plan with the goal of stopping Tony Romo's security blanket."

Posted by: tafka | September 29, 2008 5:38 AM | Report abuse

Everybody up here is so angry at the "national media." What about our own Washington Post? They wrote us off after the first game.

Anybody remember this column by Sally Jenkins after we lost to the Giants? Where's Sally Jenkins' Column today? If she can't hate the 'Skins, she can't write.

"Zorn was brought in ostensibly as the hand-picked find of owner Daniel Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, his executive vice president of football operations, to tutor fourth-year quarterback Jason Campbell, and to install the West Coast offense, of which he is a whiz-bang expert. There were flashes here and there of possibility -- mainly Campbell's 12-yard scoring pass to Santana Moss on some nifty misdirection with 13 seconds left in the first half that was their only score. But the overall reality was that the Redskins have problems far beyond any head coach's ability to cure them in time for the season opener. They are a good distance away from Snyder's goal of winning an NFC East title and making a playoff run, judging by their performance against the defending Super Bowl champion Giants, who played as badly as a team can and still win."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 29, 2008 5:39 AM | Report abuse

TE,

F Sally Jenkins she is a hack who will not write a good article about the Skins.

F the post

F the national media

We went into Texas stadium and beat the best team in the NFL, if we still get no respect then they can all kiss my white a$$.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 6:21 AM | Report abuse

TE,

F the post

F the national media

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Zorn an his staff out coached the dallas coaches.

Barber is nothing we shut him down everytime we play them, I am tired of hearing how good he is.

Romo is allways good for an Int.

TO is a cry-baby always has been.

This team is alot better then last year, and JC is playing better then most QB's in the NFL.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Woke up at 5:30 and was like, yep still excited.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 6:49 AM | Report abuse

All I can say is wow.

I did not expect the Redskins to win this week and I certainly did not expect them to dominate the game that way. Props to the Defense, the O line and let's not forget Durant Brooks. He punted well this week and got us out of a couple of potential jams.

Great win all around.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 29, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

All I can say is wow.

Great win all around.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 29, 2008 6:54 AM | Report abuse

All I can say is wow.

Great win all around.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 29, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

"And man, Terrence Newman biting on the double move? He's usually better than that."

Newman probably said something like this afterward:

"Gave me a double move and kind of ran towards the middle of the field; can't do nothing about it."

Posted by: tafka | September 29, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

All I can say is wow.

Great win all around.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 29, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Woke up at 5:30 and was like, yep still excited.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 6:49 AM | Report abuse

I concur sir. I'm just so excited, I can not contain myself.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Springs did not go back with the team opting to stay in texas and visit his dad who is still in a coma, for those who did not read that article.

I can't imagine how hard it must be for him, his dad's been in a coma for the better part of a year.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Woke up at 5:30 and was like, yep still excited. Posted by: alex35332

Alex, funny post. The grass is always greener, traffic always lighter, and people always nicer on a Monday after a Skins win.

Posted by: isnadd | September 29, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: isnadd | September 29, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Yep the 5-6 hours before Vinny goes on the radio and gets us all mad at some new media personality.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

if Tank really did try to go after Rock, then I'm calling Tank's P.O. That's got to be a violation of his probation.

HAIL!

Posted by: p1funk | September 28, 2008 11:49 PM

Dont care who you are, that is funny!

Posted by: Club320 | September 29, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

good for you rock --- i remember when dallas threw a funeral wreath into our dressing room after one of their wins

Posted by: bestmick1 | September 29, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 7:31 AM

Alex,

Come on buddy he said nothing on Friday about anyone.

He had a good reason to go after JLC and most people agreed with him.

Who gives a sh!t we beat the Cowgilrs and they are going to fold believe me, they are allready starting to loose it TO complaining about not getting the ball.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

I would like to point out we are ranked the No3 team in the NFC east.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

IRVING, Texas -- Barring a playoff meeting, the Washington Redskins made their final visit to Texas Stadium on Sunday. And after a 26-24 victory that doesn't even begin to tell the story, they pretty much left the Cowboys' defense in ruin.

It started in the second quarter and lasted throughout the rest of the game. The Cowboys' frantic comeback attempt only dolled up the final score.

Campbell was characteristically understated after the game, but what he did in the first half suggests that he's on his way to joining the upper echelon of quarterbacks in this league.

Facing a defense that was obsessed with not letting wide receiver Santana Moss catch a deep ball, Campbell calmly took what was given to him. But when Cowboys Pro Bowl cornerback Terence Newman bit on a stop-and-go route late in the first half, Campbell deftly stepped away from trouble and winged a 53-yard completion to Moss.

When I approached his locker after the game, Campbell was actually upset about the play. He felt like he robbed Moss of a record-setting touchdown by not hitting him in stride. Moss, who finished with eight catches for 145 yards, had tied the team record last week with touchdowns in six consecutive games.

"I wanted to get that for him," said a dejected looking Campbell. "That's the first thing I did was go apologize to him."

Redskins coach Jim Zorn said he led three "Redskins cheers" in the locker room before meeting with reporters. The biggest reason Daniel Snyder hired him as coach was his belief that he could take Campbell to a Pro Bowl level. That's why he quickly hired himself as quarterbacks coach.

When the offense looked awful in the season opener against the Giants, Zorn asked Campbell to trust him. That's when Campbell shot back, "You need to trust me too."

After the game, Zorn sounded like a proud teacher.

"He didn't have any of the ups and downs, these sways of emotion," Zorn said of Campbell. "What I always talk to him about is bearing down and what I mean by that is if you grit your teeth to get through difficult situations, you must [get through it]. We were fortunate enough to beat a great football team, but part of that was his concentration level and he just kept it up the whole game."

Zorn felt the sting of criticism after the Giants loss. He thought it was important for his team not to see him "flinch." And even when star running back Clinton Portis complained that week about the offensive line and the play-calling, Zorn didn't take the bait.

Now, he's reaping some of the rewards a lot sooner than most of us thought. And at least for one day, the Redskins looked like the team to beat in the NFC East. Or maybe the Cowboys are simply overrated.

Now, join me for several items that didn't really belong in the previous 700 words:

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Also by Matt Mosley;

Did the Cowboys' obsession with T.O. backfire on them?

First of all, let's give the Redskins' secondary its proper due. In the first half, cornerback Shawn Springs jammed Terrell Owens at the line of scrimmage and pretty much took him out of the game. T.O. finished with only two catches for 11 yards, which may have caused offensive coordinator Jason Garrett to overcompensate in the second half.

After all, Patrick Crayton and Jason Witten combined for nine catches, 110 yards and a touchdown in the first half. On the first drive of the second half, Romo completed three passes to T.O., the third going for a 10-yard touchdown. Romo ended up throwing to T.O. six times in the third quarter and five more in the fourth quarter.

The most telling drive came right after the Redskins took a 23-17 lead early in the fourth quarter. The Redskins broke up three consecutive passes to T.O., the last two by Carlos Rogers, who was covering him because Springs left the game with a calf strain.

Of the Cowboys' 58 offensive plays, they either threw or handed the ball to T.O. 19 times. In my mind, that smacks of a team trying too hard to make one player happy. In the first half, he appeared to give up on a few routes when he knew the ball wasn't coming his way. It was pretty obvious that Springs was frustrating him.

After the game, a Cowboys starter on offense said he thought the team tried too hard to involve T.O. in the second half. It's not good when a player senses that coaches are calling plays in order to keep a teammate happy. It's not time to panic if you're a Cowboys fan, but I'd certainly keep your eye on that situation. It's a slap in the face to Witten, Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin -- and especially rookie Felix Jones to freeze them out in order to please T.O.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

Come on buddy he said nothing on Friday about anyone.

He had a good reason to go after JLC and most people agreed with him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Its part of my theory that the PR department is picking fights during the week to keep the players/coachs/FO blood hot. I dunno if it will happen but it will be fun to see if the theory holds. First was B mitch next JLC, after that who knows, riggo, CCoward? Its all fun and games.

F the cowboys!

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

and one more from Mosley:

Postgame altercation

Redskins running back Rock Cartwright said he and Cowboys defensive tackle Tank Johnson had spent much of the evening jawing back and forth. But as the Redskins were kneeling on the ball at the end of the game, Cartwright said he stood at midfield and gazed through the iconic hole in the roof of Texas Stadium.

Johnson, who's is his second year with the Cowboys, apparently thought Cartwright was attempting to evoke memories of T.O. standing on the star several years ago as a 49er. After the final snap, Johnson raced over and shouted, "Don't disrespect the star."

I'm thinking Johnson may have more important things to deal with after his defense gave up 161 rushing yards. Some of you might recall Phillips saying recently that "no one runs on the Dallas Cowboys."

Well, make that almost no one.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

From John Clayton:

Based on the many divisional September upsets, there could be some close finishes down the stretch. No division is closer and more competitive than the NFC East. The Cowboys, Eagles and Giants were the top three teams in football as of last week; the Redskins proved Sunday they also belong among the elite.

After the Cowboys marched 60 yards for a late first-quarter touchdown drive, the Redskins came back with 17 second-quarter points. Cornerback Shawn Springs, before leaving the game with a calf injury, seemed to go after the balls thrown to Terrell Owens with more vigor than T.O. did in the first half.

Because these teams know each other so well, Redskins coach Jim Zorn installed a lot of motion plays by receivers before the snap. The added wrinkle caused Dallas cornerback Terence Newman to stumble once on a touchdown throw and seemed to catch many Cowboys defenders off balance.

"It's a rivalry so the players are exhausted, and Dallas is probably exhausted as well,'' Zorn said. "It's a brawl. I think the statement was we were willing to lay it on the line today and our team went out there and did that. I didn't know whether I had a headache from calling plays or watching the clock. It was a very, very difficult game to watch at the end there.''

Not as difficult as it was for Cowboys fans, the latest to realize home field no longer seems to offer much of an advantage in rivalry games.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Romo is 1 and 3 against the redskins, I love those numbers.

Posted by: drumer1972 | September 29, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

GREAT WIN!! Awesome job by so many people, Zorn, JC, Portis, Moss, the Oline, Dline, Springs. Just a GREAT, GREAT win.

As far as Tank goes, whateves, who cares what he say's. Any man who has kids in his home as well as guns, and doesn't have trigger locks on his guns, has bigger issues to talk about than Rock being on the star at the end of the game. Shut yer mouth, and make a tackle...

The boys have spend a 1st round pick on Newman, a first round pick on Mike Jenkins, the kid they drafted this year, as well as a 4th and a 6th on Pacman, and they STILL can't cover Moss.

To the guy who said Horton can't cover, go back and review that interception. Horton breaks on the pass BEFORE it was thrown, he came from EASILY 10 yards away to make that int.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Felix Jones stats: 0 carries for 0 yards

The great Marion Barber who was going to run all over the Skins: 8 carries for 26 yards.

So much for the Skins not being able to stop the run.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Good point Flound, when is barber going to step up in one of these games? Last time I checked when they only give you 8 carries they think you can't get it done, and when you only gain 26 yards, apparently they were correct. Did he have any catches in this game?

Anyone catch the helmet to helmet hit on Boldin yesterday??? WOW...he looked dead when he hit the ground.

On a side note, what is wrong with Fox?? They, like the NFL, Sports Illustrated and every other media outlet is just so in love with Favre that they STAYED with the Jet/Cardinal game despite the score, instead of going to the start of the Redskins/Pukes game.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

beep beep, urchins.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | September 29, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

i just like the word "urchins," fyi.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | September 29, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Where are all you JC haters? All of you that trash my man and talked about oh we will see what he does next week. I told you he will be a beast!

Where are all you Carlos haters? Once again I said he will be fine and give him some time!

And I can't believe I am about to say this. But maybe Vinny knew what he was talking about when he pushed for Zorn as HC. I know you hate that JLC and would never admit that maybe he knew what he was talking about.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 29, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I would like to point out we are ranked the No3 team in the NFC east.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 7:42 AM

Um, that's number 2 by virtue of the tiebreaker with Dallas. Still happy, can't wait to give some cowpie fans sh!t today.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Surprised Tank was around after the game to see anything. Doesn't he have to report in to his parole officer as part of his work release program?

Posted by: oldschoolfan | September 29, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldschoolfan | September 29, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldschoolfan | September 29, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldschoolfan | September 29, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

This just shows what little class some players have in the NFL. I am talking about the Rock. T.O showed little class too when he did the same thing. But what makes it worse for the Rock, is that he should have known better after T.O did it that it was wrong. That just shows what that the Redskins have no class.

Posted by: hsdirt | September 30, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Look all you Redskins have got a win! Whoo Hoo lets clap for the sorry hug a thug program that you have! There is a way to have class and there is a way to look like a fool! Cartwright is a fool! If someone came in your stadium and did that all hell would have broke loose!! So you DO NOT need to be doing that in someone else home. I not saying this just because I'm a Cowboys, I'm saying that cause I have my dignity. When T.O. did that I wanted to beat him down! What makes you think that we will not do that Cartwright(aka Rock). Be happy with your win, trust and believe when we come to Maryland we will show you and I repeat we will show you!!!!

Posted by: kelynwilliams20 | September 30, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse