StarCaps, and the Playoffs

The suspensions handed down by the NFL on Tuesday for use of a banned diruetic that is an ingredient in a weight-loss product called StarCaps could have major ramifications for the wild-card race.

Minnesota lost its twin towers of run-stuffing defensive tackles, Pat and Kevin Williams, for the season, while New Orleans's already woeful defense lost its two starting ends, Will Smith and Charles Grant, and tailback Deuce McAllister. Lawyers are sure to get involved, but if this holds, these two teams are crippled.

Now, the Saints aren't making the playoffs, while the Vikings are atop the NFC North, but that's of no real concern to Redskin Nation. Only one team is coming out of the North, anyway. But what matters is that the Saints and Vikings both have games remaining against teams locked in a battle with the Skins for playoff spots.

Besides the division winners, who obviously are in, I'm calling Tampa Bay an 11-win team, thinking they will beat hapless San Diego and Oakland in the final two weeks, even if they lose to fellow- NFC-South playoff chasers Atlanta and Carolina on the road in the interim.

Carolina already has nine wins, and Atlanta has eight. Carolina gets Denver, which should be a team it can handle at home, and finishes at the Saints. Atlanta has two road games left on its schedule, and take a wild guess at those locales. Yep, New Orleans and Minnesota (and the Falcons' dedication to the run should reap greater rewards without the Williams folks manning the middle of the Vikes defense). The Falcons finish at home against the Rams, who are just dreadful in every fashion.

So, I'm thinking the chances of three NFC South teams reaching 11 wins looks better than I thought they did 48 hours ago - and even then I thought there was a decent probability. If the Skins win their final four games, they'd still be in the mix even against those clubs, with it coming down to tiebreakers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 3, 2008; 9:25 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Final Campbell Post of the Week (That's a Promise)
Next: O Line: Plenty of Pain, Less Gain

Comments

Given as well probably finish with about the 21st pick again, I'd rather trade that pick for 2 2nd rounders.... maybe even a 1st and 3rd for 3 2nd rounders... seeing as we won't be going after skill positions, I think picking up 3 O lineman in the 2nd round to grow under Buges would be huge.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 3, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

OK, so for every "see what happened with Eli" post which advocates patience w JC, I can't help but look up I-95 and see what the Ravens have been doing on offense with a ROOKIE QB and a ROOKIE Head coach. There offense is light years ahead of ours and IS GETTING BETTER. JC is no rookie and our offensive "Team of Continuity" should be better than it is, new offense or not. It's time to stop blaming the newness of the offense for our woes and holding players accountable! I heard this same argument about the Al Saunders offense two years ago. I think it's a combination of many things -- JC's play, the O line's blocking, the predictable play calling -- which are all intertwined. Bottom line is that the Purple guys up the road are getting it done and we are not.

Posted by: edP2 | December 3, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

AMEN!!!

Posted by: Soup17 | December 3, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

We can't catch a break!

Oh well you make you own breaks (cough Rams/Cowboys cough)

Posted by: chrislarry | December 3, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

re: Ravens OFF

If you wanna crown'em...then crown'em!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 3, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure this will end up killing us. We haven't caught a break in 15 years. I'm just shocked the Giants still don't have to play the Saints and Vikings - they are the anti-Skins - kings of catching teams at bad times.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 3, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edP2 | December 3, 2008 9:22 AM |

Here is my take on the Ravens getting it done as you stated, JC has better stats then JF. There schedule is helping them plus there defense scores TD's.

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A LNG TD TD% INT INT% SACK YDS RAT
Joe Flacco 202 331 2276 61.0 6.88 70 12 3.6 9 2.7 23 208 82.3

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A LNG TD TD% INT INT% SACK YDS RAT
Jason Campbell 241 378 2560 63.8 6.77 67 10 2.6 4 1.1 32 210 87.8

The Ravens have 5 defensive TD's we do not have any. They have also givin there offense many short fields.

The Ravens have only one win against a team with a winning record and that is Philly.

So to say there offense is getting it done is a little bit of a stretch.

The Skins schedule has been way harder then the Ravens.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 3, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The thing that is most shocking about this week's backlash is that Campbell's "lows" haven't been very low at all. He's not costing his team games. Is he overcoming inferior protection, a lack of sufficient receiving weapons and what has become a predictable scheme in many regards? Well, no, but how many young QBs do that in their first season in a new system? Not many.

By Jason La Canfora | December 3, 2008; 8:21 AM ET

Well said. Compare Campbell's bad games last year to bad games this year. That's all you need to know...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2008 9:13 AM

At least the dude was taking chances last year and I had no problem with that.

4 Turnovers on the rodad @ Tampa in the 1st 10 minutes and he still almost brought us back.....

@ Dallas last year? I could grow with that knowing since he already threw an INT he would know better the next time.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bangkokben | December 3, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 3, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

The Giants do finish the season against the Vikings, Ryp.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 3, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

"Okay, I see we're back on the draft.

What we SHOULD do

is draft

1st Alex Mack C Cal
3rd Phil Loadholt, Max Unger, Alex Boone (one of those, not all!)

rebuild the O line completely!

we'd have Alex Mack, a STUD center, along with Chad Rhinehart, Stephen Heyer, and the 3rd round pick if he works out, not including the good starters we have (Randy Thomas) returning.

Casey Rabach and Jon Jansen need to go, and Alex Mack can replace Rabach right away, Jansen can be pushed by Heyer and/or the 3rd rounder from next year.

I say we take care of the O line through the draft and try to get one solid if not very good D linemen through free agency who we could sign short term in hopes of replacing him in a year or two with another draft pick.

We'll miss that second rounder this year, for sure!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 3, 2008 9:41 AM"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 3, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

The difference between the Ravens/Skins is on defense. The skins are a good defense that holds court but doesn't change games. The Ravens change games and set-up their offense to succeed. They have been doing it almost 10 years with a SB to show for it. This year they actually have some talent (Rice/MCgahee/Mason and the promising new QB) which they had previously lacked so they can do more with short fields than on some of their teams that struggled.

Also "OFF genius" Brian Billick is gone....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 3, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

4th,

Were you even old enough to watch Doug Williams or Rypien....b/c I was and I saw those two warriors make a ton of plays....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 3, 2008 9:31 AM

You got me! Full Disclosure - I was 8 yrs old when Doug won the Superbowl. 11 when Rypien won his. So I take out Doug because I can only go off of highlights. But I vivdly remember Rypien. the only difference I see is JC17 will be ready quicker than Rypien and Rypien didn't run like JC.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

"poop. Why doesn't the league just go ahead and suspend Antonio Pierce right before the Dallas game.

Posted by: bangkokben |"

we should want the Giants to win...

I hope you're not still clinging to the idea that we can win the division.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 3, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I love the idea of trading to get 3 2nd rounders that Rypien11 suggested. Someone said get a DT with a 1st next year.... no way ! I say play Heyer for the next 4 games to give him one last good look before the draft and if he still can't run block, well then with you very first pick wether it's the first 2nd rounder or the first 1st rounder ( I know that's confusing, forgive me) get a RT !! Get a RT !
We can't afford to have a starting RT that is good at only 1 of 2 trades ( Heyer pass blocking & Jansen run blocking) you need a starting RT to be good at BOTH when your playing in the NFC East to be a top team in this conference. Does anyone disagree ?
Play Heyer these 4 games before the draft and see what you got.

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 3, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The year Rypien won his SB he was only sacked 11 times unless we get better up front JC will never see that kind of protection.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 3, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2008 9:35 AM

You'd double clutch too if the only 2 receivers you have worth a damn are doubled every time you drop back to pass. Last year he tried to go to those guys whether they were covered or not. This year he's not. Yeah, he's got fewer TDs but he's got few INTs which means more when you play as many close games as we do. Ask Green Bay fans if they wish Favre double clutched on that last pass in the NFC Championship...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

4th,

I heart Mark Rypien, dude was a warrior who did a ton with limited talent. The 92 season was insane, and not his only good one. I will defend Rypien till my fingertips bleed.

That said I agree with you that JC reminds me of Ryp sometimes, but with the huge upside of added mobility. Is Colt the Stan Humphries to JCs Ryp?

Posted by: chrislarry | December 3, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"BUT, this year - Too much double clutching and check downs. The game day experince this year is very much not earth shattering......

Posted by: 4thFloor"

You want him to run the routes and catch the passes too? He can't take a chance when he gets hit 2 seconds into his drop, and he can't force his WRs to make a play for him when he hits them in the numbers.

His performances vs New Orleans, vs Arizona, and @ Dallas should tell you that Campbell has no problem letting it fly. Unfortunately for this offense, it's a team game. Campbell can't do it by himself.

Posted by: psps23 | December 3, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

1st
3rd
5th
6th

No compensatory picks this year as we lost no FA's of note, that is how you get those picks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 3, 2008 9:18 AM

OK, I know we lost our 2nd rounder this year to Jason Campbell but what happened to our 4th rounder ?

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 3, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Truth is...um..cough...struggle....right! We should be rooting full throttle for Giants the rest of the year they can deliver valuable "Ls" to teams we need to lose.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 3, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

The 'Skins playoff chances were finished when it couldn't beat the Rams and Cowboys at home.

In any event, a 10 win season would exceed all reasonable expectations for this franchise given its age along the offensive and defensive lines, ongoing dubious personnel moves, and rookie head coach (who many, including myself, thought was in over his head).

If they spend the offseason focusing solely on replacing starters and finding depth along the offensive and defensive lines, next year could be very impressive. Forget the shiny objects at the skill positions: find a way to get a consistent road paving offensive line and the offense will suddenly click.

Remember, we're the 11-time champions of the offseason :-)

Posted by: PDiddy | December 3, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Correction: I know we lost our 2nd round pick to Jason Taylor this year.

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 3, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The fans on this blog make me sick with all of the excuses that are constantly being made for this underpeforming team.

How about ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY! That is definitely one thing we lost when Gibbs stepped away. He may have sucked his last few years, but at least he was the first to step up to the mic and except responsibility.

I don't give a damned who is injured, what JC's stats are, who was honored before the game, what our fans attendance is, or the fing schedule we are playing. The bottom line is Wins v. Losses. That is what we pay these NFL PROFESSIONALS millions of dollars to do. There are no excuses!

Posted by: Soup17 | December 3, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

FORGET OUR 1st Rd PICK!!!!! TRADE DOWN AND GET ADDITIONAL PICKS in later rounds.... we need multiple linemen on both sides and that 1st Rd will be more valuable as multiple picks.. You know their going to grab a LB somewhere in there and that will be impossible if they use the 1st Rd...

HAVE A GREAT DAY R.I.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 3, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"I love the idea of trading to get 3 2nd rounders that Rypien11 suggested."

anyone who would trade 3 2nd round picks for one 1st round pick would be mentally handicapped as a GM.

but I'm assuming you meant trade our 1st for 2 2nd round picks, and I've seen others saying that.

That'd be great and ideally most teams would do that, but we would have to be in a position where the other team WANTS to move up 15 spots or so to take one player. That means there has to be a good player available that is wanted by one of the few teams with 2 picks in the 2nd round.

Off the top of my head only Miami will have 2 picks, and whether or not they will want to trade it to move up some spots, who knows.

It's not as simple as it sounds to get rid of that 1st rounder for 2 2nd rounders. Last year we kinda just fell into a good position.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 3, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Truth is we just need to win out. The NFC South is about to seriously beat up on each other the next couple weeks. Dallas is not going the rest of the season unscathed. With our tiebreakers, we should be able to get in with an 11-5 record. 10-6, however, will not get it done.

Posted by: psps23 | December 3, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

OK, I will accept responsibility, Its my fault the Skins are mediocre. I can't be blamed for all 15 years, but this year, guys, its one me.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 3, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Truth,

I was being sardonic. I know we need Dallas to loose and the Giants to win. We also need New Orleans to beat Atlanta and maybe Carolina. Also was hoping the Vikings would stop Atlanta.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 3, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

TheTruth11,

Of course a GM would be mentally handicapped with your scenario,

I believe Rypien11 suggested trading our 1st and 3rd for three 2nd round picks.......now this still might be a stretch but maybe we could throw in say.....Jason Taylor ? into the trade and dump off his salary

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 3, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I'll take the blame for last year's playoff loss.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 3, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"How about ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY!"

Posted by: Soup17

I guess calling out the WRs for poor play, calling out the offensive line for poor play, calling out the coach for stale playcalling, and calling out the front office for mostly uncontributing offseason acquisitions doesn't count. No, it has to ALL be "Soup's" fault.

Posted by: psps23 | December 3, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Remember, we're the 11-time champions of the offseason :-)

Posted by: PDiddy | December 3, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I agree in part. Except I don't think this team will be anything special next season either. Too many holes to fill with an aging offensive line and a stud RB who has carried the team all year getting increasingly fragile and likely very impatient too. Not to mention, we have a very incapable front office pulling in the wrong players year after year while other "mediocre" teams are figuring things out and righting the ship so to speak. I don't think it is the players/team that is incapable of being a SuperBowl contended in the next year or so as much as it is the Franchise as a whole that is incapable.

I simply don't see us emerging as a team with a "real opportunity" for another 3 or 4 years. Wholesale changes need to occur in the FO before any real progress is going to be made.

That said, I will be there the whole way regardless.

Posted by: Soup17 | December 3, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Forgot the Giants of course play the Vikes. Figures. Not that it matters, the NFC East is already theirs.

Trading down is the way to go. 3 2nd rounders on linemen would be great. Probably one DE and two Offensive. Then use the 5th and 6th and hope to get one capable starter/backup out of those. Pick up Suggs and a vet 4th WR in FA.

What happened to our 4th rounder?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 3, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

How many teams have three 2nd round picks to trade?

And we ain't getting squat for Jason Taylor after his ineptness this year. Maybe like a 5th rounder at best, but then with his huge salary, nah.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 3, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | December 3, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

After listen to Zorn I believe his no mistake by the QB is worse than Gibbs. You can't play not to make mistake. I think Zorn needs to stop pushing in JC head not to make a mistake.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 3, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Slippery and others - if you look at the draft value chart - the 20th pick equates to two mid - second round picks. We prob couldnt trade all with one team, but maybe finnagle something with multiple teams.

As for 10-6, I think it could still get it done. I see Dallas finishing 10-6 (losing to Pitt and NYG). If we lose to Balt but win out, we would have the tiebreaker over them via the 4th tiebreaker (better conference).

I also see Atlanta finishing 10-6, and we would have a better NFC record than them if we win the last 3 games.

I don't think losing this week kills us, but it would sure help to win. Of course, if Dallas beats Pitt, then we REALLY need to win.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 3, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Thanks guys for accepting responsibility!
I would do the same, but our schedule is too tough. It simply isn't fair.

(Laying down on floor arms flailing, kicking & screaming)

Its NOT fair. They are too hard.

I QUIT! I don't want to play anymore.

(Laying down on floor arms flailing, kicking & screaming)

The schedule is too hard!

Posted by: Soup17 | December 3, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

You may be on to something Ice Total 220....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 3, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"My bet the best thing we could do would be trade our 1st for 2 2nds and traid 1 of those 2nds for 2-3rds.

Posted by: alex35332 |"

well that's much, much more reasonable than "Jason Taylor and a 1st for 3 2nd round picks", but I'm not so sure many teams would be willing to give up 2 3rd round picks for 1 2nd unless, again, there was a player they really wanted.

And how many teams have 2 2nd round picks to trade?

And how many teams have 2 3rd round picks to trade?

Not many.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 3, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I think Zorn needs to stop pushing in JC head not to make a mistake.

Could not agree with this statement MORE.

Zorn to me, seems to expect that EVERYONE never makes a mistake, thus JC isn't playing loose, he's playing like he's tightly wound, and afraid to rely on his ability.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 3, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Look. The season isn't over. The draft and free agency is for January or dare I say February. This team can easily run the table the rest of the regular season. The offense didn't score points in Novemver but now it is December. This is the month that somehow joe jackson gibbs gets his team wins.

Oh. You say he quit and we have a qb for hc. Forget it. Go back to the draft talk.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 3, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I accept responsiblity for the Rams loss - it was the only game I haven't seen this season...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | December 3, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2008 9:46 AM

Posted by: psps23 | December 3, 2008 9:46 AM

Calm down people! All I was saying is, I'd rather for him to let it fly some times with out him being 100% sure if the receiver is going to catch it or not. He seems too robotic during certain tense situations, prob by Zorn.

Maybe they should go ahead and extend his contract now, so he can finally throw the darn ball without caring too much about wheter he's going to get paid or not.

I'm not trying to get rid of the guy (there's nothing better out there).

Most of the top QBs have way more INTs than JC17, and a better record, so don't give me that crap you guys are spitting out....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

icetotalbeepbeep220

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 3, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

How many NFL-quality OLs that can start immediately will be in the draft?
Last year, eight were drafted in the first round.
The seventh, Sam Baker, was selected by ATL with the (#21) pick we traded for their #2s. He started at LT for them until he got hurt (week five).
There were only four more OL drafted before we selected Rinehart as a comp. pick at the end of the 3rd round.
So let's say that Rinehart is a top-15 OL, and he can't even get on the field. Do you need a top-5 OL to get an immediate starter?

Posted by: daggar | December 3, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Spending a middle level 1st round pick on offensive linemen when you've already got quality young linemen (Heyer/Rinehart/Geisinger) is dumb. Plugging in a good o-lineman is what free agency is for. If the Skins do anything, they should consider an NBA-type move an package a player and a pick in the 2010 draft to move up to get Percy Harvin. Harvin is a speed guy who can return punts and take the ball out of the backfield. Despite Moss, the Skins don't have a Felix Jones/Steve Slaton/Reggie Bush/Brian Westbrook kind of guy who can 'flip the field' with a long return or shake tight coverage. Lineman can be groomed like the d dawgs they are. But a game changing skill guy will take the load off Campbell. Save getting a linemen for the later rounds...Plus: let's take Derrick Ward off the Jints hands and get him in burgandy and gold.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Who says Heyer and Geisinger are quality lineman in the NFC East ? This isn't the NFC West Mista Moe. It would be a dumb move soley based on your opinion of Geisinger and Heyer being qualtity ?

Posted by: slipperyrichard | December 3, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The Ravens haven't totally ignored their O-line in the last two years either.

Posted by: Veretax | December 3, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

so skins could wind up MISSING the playoff with ELEVEN wins?!

scary

Posted by: wydaaa | December 3, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Not to be rude, mr. slipperyrichard, but until the young linemen get extended playing time, how do you know they're not any good? That's a teamwide issue as the Skins don't put rookies on the field (Landry, for example, didn't start until later in the year and he was a high pick). And how can they be any worse than the starters? If any thing, it's that Zorn, like with the case with Alexander, prefers vets to younger players. That's got to change.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

When I worked at The Vitamin Shoppe, those pills sold for about 80 a small bottle, this was in 03/04. The ingredients listed were papaya and garlic. So either they're lying about having taken that.. or fools for wasting their money.

Posted by: tryfuhl | December 3, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse