Taking Stock of the NFC East

As I said yesterday, it seems pretty obvious to me that no one is catching the Giants in the NFC, and I doubt anyone will catch them for the conference lead, either. Finishing second in the NFC East should likely get you a wild-card spot, and while the Redskins have not given up any hope of that long-elusive division title, or a home playoff game, it's certainly looking less likely.

(And go here to answer this question you can't access the widget or want solid proof of your genius.)

So, what do we make of the state of the Eagles and Cowboys? Philly seems to be a mess. The cries for Andy Reid to get the boot will be ringing from South Jersey to Delaware. And Donovan McNabb, like me a product of The Syracuse University (my brother used to DJ for him in college while Donovan would do a little freestyling), let me down, too. Dude, you honestly have been in this league almost 10 years and you don't know the overtime rules? Seriously? That ain't right.

I continue to hear that Brian Westbrook is badly hurt, and I wonder if they end up shutting him down, at least for a week or two. Having to play at Baltimore - which has a defense that generally leaves an opposing offense bruised and battered for weeks - will do them no favors, and I wonder if they fall off for good. (I also saw where Reid actually called for pass plays on all 18 of Philly's third-down plays in the tie with Cincy, including a bunch of third-and-one situations. That's hard-nosed football. I guess Correll Buckhalter is in the doghouse or something.)

I also wonder just how much of a boost the Cowboys will get from Sunday's win. It was pretty obvious from Jason Garrett's conservative gameplan that he still has some concerns about Tony Romo's health. Garrett just ran Marion Barber repeatedly, with Romo making no deep throws and not too many tough sideline throws with a lot of max protection to keep that pinkie finger okay. I still think Dallas' defense has some issues, and I just don't get the sense this is their season. Maybe they go on a late tear like Pittsburgh a few years back and get it done, but I'm not feeling it.

Owner Jerry Jones, of course, was proud as a peacock after the win Sunday. I always get a kick out of the Jones quotes that get distributed to the media in the press box after Dallas games. Actually, I applaud him for being available and open to discussing the team he owns and runs, but sometimes he can get a little blustery.

What did Double-J have say to after Sunday's outing at FedEx Field?

"I don't know when I have been any prouder; this team just wouldn't let it happen any other way. We all know what was at stake here and I'm so proud of both sides of that ball. I have a lot of respect for the Redskins as a team, but I really know what this win meant and we can really build off of it."

We shall see. Could it be that the NFC South ends up sending more teams to the playoffs than the NFC Beast?

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 18, 2008; 9:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crunching the Numbers on Offense
Next: Thomas Heartened by Role at the End

Comments

Let me be the FIRST to say no the south will not send more playoff teams

Posted by: jumbo5383 | November 18, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Just gotta take care of our own business. Can't redo the draft, or get a bunch of new players, but we can hope for/expect JC to take some more risks. Playing it safe got us to 6-4, with some good wins in there, but to get to 10 wins means that we need much more production from the offense.

Posted by: daggar | November 18, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I would agree the giants will not be caught, but I do believe that Skins will end up making the payoff their remaining games favor the Skins more than the other two teams in the east. As for the south, I still believe that team's luck will eventually run out and cause them to fall behind in the payoff race. The NFC Beast has been destroyed by injuries and the only team that has handled the loss of key players better has been the Giants. If the Cowboys make the playoffs I do believe they will likely see a first round exit again and in even more disappoint fashion. The cowboys lack leadership and their team will need that in order to handle the final games. The skins need to find their offense and its starts taking shots down the field. All of this nonsense about they can't trust rookies is just plain dumb. If you are telling me you can't put them out there just to run a hitch or slant here and there and they can't do it that’s just silly and looks bad on the Skins part for drafting such unprepared players. Get them on the field and take shots the down along with pressuring the QB and they should at least make the playoffs at least one would hope.

Posted by: erron4 | November 18, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Agreed on Jansen he needs to be replaced, Heyer is ready to go.

I think you have to get the rookies on the field, I know Zorn is having trouble trusting them but we are just not getting production from the other receivers.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I applaud him for being available and open to discussing the team he owns and runs - slight cheap shot at Snyder, but whatever...

Dag, agreed, can't redo trades or drafts, you dance with who you brung....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I think the Beast is overrated, other than the Giants. Eagles will fade, and Washington is in full freefall mode. Look for them to lose in Seattle; no way they pull that one out. They flat can't win there even when it was handed to them on a platter twice in a row. That leaves the 'Boys. Too much talent not to make a wildcard, but they can't get past the G-men. No, it's the Giants and probably the Titans in the Big Bowl, with the Giants winning back-to-back trophies. Who'da thunk that last year at this time???

Posted by: Schroeder12 | November 18, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Well you know JLC he loves the cheap shot.

The discussion about who we should have drafted came up yesterday as you can imagine, I mean since we have a bunch of guys who have the Skins playing great in Madden they think they are NFL caliber GM's.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Schroeder,

Way to have confidence in your team.

We are going to destroy the Seahawks they are a team in freefall mode not us.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I actually do not blame Snyder (and no, I am not a Snyder lover) for not giving interviews. He gets crucified by the media whenever he says (or does) anything so why give the media more fodder?

Jerry Jones just flat out loves to be the center of attention.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, I actually think if Snyder talked to the media more and was more transparent his media image would improve, but whateves snyder bashing/HJs convo is boring.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 18, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

But here are the things I think Madden helps you learn; Realizing that you can't just make a trade, it always costs a lot more to trade for a player you want and you wont get nearly what you want for a player you want to get rid of. You learn to work with salary cap issues and realizing you cant toss a player because you cant afford the cap hit.

The only place where madden is bad is the free agents and plug and play. In the real world, you can't really just get a QB and start him that week and think he knows the offense, and you can't pick up every superstar player ever off season and just buy the Superbowl. Some people don't realize it does not work like that. Madden also makes you think that the draft is valueless after the 2nd round which we know is not the case.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I watched that whole Philly game against Cincy. What did McNabb do that made him not understand the OT rules? Guess I missed whatever he did.

Posted by: Cobain | November 18, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I would love Snyder to do more interviews to make the teams moves more transparent. But agree Snyder always comes off poorly, I am not sure what it is about him but he just comes off as a jerk.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cobain | November 18, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

He did not do anything, he just said after the game in the presser that he did not know that you can tie.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Cobain, I think the presumption is that McNabb would have played differently toward the end of the overtime session -- with more of a sense of urgency or whatever -- if he knew there was only one overtime session. Not that that's provable.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

"I don't think that us Maddentes really think we can be a GM, the truth is that finding the right players a lot more complex, but that said they have some better ideas of "GMing" than someone who's never got into Madden, and some (Sports_Guru) are just retards who hate black QB's and think its all plug n play.

Posted by: alex35332 "

wow, alex, thanks for the pros and cons on the belief that playing a football video game can make someone a good NFL GM. I was really confused there, I thought all GM's were guys that just won Madden tournaments.

Really, thanks for clearing that up for me.

...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Cue the f@ckwittery*

* copyright: Megskin 2006

Posted by: Redcoat | November 18, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

I'm a Madden junkie as well, my favorite part of the game is offseason FA's and the draft.

I was very pissed when madden did not come out for the PC this year, because Madden on PC is awesome way better then console.

I'm still trying to figure out how to update my PC game to get the new coaches.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Also, here's an online web-based game for you Monday morning GM's :

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I love the "play the rookies" chant going up now. Let's see, we are playing Thomas. How is that working folks? Horton is playing and playing well. Kelly can not run, not much use in playing him. Rhinehart can not make the game day roster. Davis is behind Cooley on the depth chart and apparently does not know where he is on the field. Our rookie punter, oooops. Brennan? Surely you could not suggest playing him. Tryon? Not likely found above the fourth string on regular defense. Jackson, not found on the game day roster. So, "let's play the rookies" has a rather hollow ring to it, doesn't it?

Posted by: driley | November 18, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: Redcoat | November 18, 2008 9:39 AM"

dude writes an essay on why playing Madden might or might not make someone a good NFL GM and I'm the ?

Guess I'm not a "cool regular" like him.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

The Truth is not cool.

The truth is very regular.

(not being cool isn't necessarily a bad thing... lol)

Being regular is a god-send.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 18, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

riley, the rookies made me cringe on Sunday nite.

two years from now, I'm sure we'll be singing their praises... check that, I HOPE we'll be singing their praises...

..but for now.. it's all about the lines.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 18, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

..but for now.. it's all about the lines.

Posted by: DikShuttle |

Exactly! That's why the Gints and the Titans are so good. That is also why many of us continue to be upset with the draft since the glaring needs on the O-line and D-line should have been helped. Thomas, Kelly, and Davis............ enough said.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | November 18, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: driley"

Malcom Kelly is pretty worthless right now, no doubt. Not sure if he could have played Sunday night or not. I guess he's NOT going to the IR, so we'll see how he shapes up when he finally gets out there.

Devin Thomas, maybe I'm the only one but I don't think he's played as awful as everyone says. He hasn't played GOOD, for sure, but when I watch him I don't see him being a bust in the future. The jury is still out on him and will be until next year after a full offseason. That's right, I'm NOT giving him three years, only two.

Fred Davis, I was pretty disappointed what was posted about him in the last post. I guess we'll give him an offseason as well. Would be GREAT to have any of the Second Round Crew contribute, but jeeze, it just isn't happening. Davis will be good if he can wrap his head around the playbook though. But not knowing if it's a pass or run? Very disappointing.

Justin Tryon I have hope for. Speed can't be coached and he apparently has it. In preseason he looked awful, but to be fair he was never completely beat. He showed good recovery. Corners WILL get beat I don't care how good you are. I think be solid in the future.

Rhinehart I'm not sure what the deal is. I'd like to know more about him. Will him and Heyer be taking over the reigns next year? Rhinehart is a big old boy and our FO apparently really liked his potential.

Horton, don't really need to say anything.

Brennan will be an okay backup I think. And I really mean okay. Nothing special but I'm okay with the pick now. Although what's-his-name from Kentucky WAS available, and I believe our "young backup rookie project QB" is the same age as JC so doh.

Kareem Moore hasn't been awful, he's seen the field some. Nothing spectacular though.

Rob Jackson was a late pick so I wasn't expecting much. Thought he looked okay anytime I saw him in preseason. Kinda disappeared since then.

Just a quick rundown of what I think of the rookies.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Flound, the part that I don't get is that they only throw it to Thomas 3 times a game, once at the LOS, and once for a 4 yard gain. They need to run some plays his way that get him down the field, run some plays that put the ball in the guys hands in space...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Not saying it makes you a good GM but it can give you some perspective on when a roster move is realistic vs not, like all the calls to cut everyone.

Also, I agreee Madden was always more fun on PC, because anyone with a drawing program and an ounce of creativity could create their own team uniforms and logos, with some wild designs. I cam up with some crazy looking helmets and logos back in the day, because in college all one had was free time, probably ended up drawing up near 50 different teams.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

..but for now.. it's all about the lines.

Posted by: DikShuttle |

Don't look for this team to draft linemen. I'm looking for the Free Agent mania to take hold. I can see them making a run at Chris Snee, which could make for some uncomfortable Thanksgiving dinners at the Coughlin household.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 18, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Truth,
I actually agree Thomas was okay last game and is slowly stepping up, he missed 1 clutch pass, but you should not throw to a rookie in the clutch.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't you all agree that we could have more "trust" in our rookies if we would simply take care of business in games that we should easily win. If our offense would actually show up and put the hammer down on teams that we should easily beat by multiple touchdowns then these rookies would have more opportunities to find their comfort zone on the field.

The ineptitude of our offense and inability to close games has prevented that from happening so far this season. I am hoping that we can go into Seatle get a big lead and then get these guys on the field for some realtime NFL reps.

Posted by: Soup17 | November 18, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Timeout for my first Inauguration Panic Attack...
Since they INSIST on having this event where I live and work, I'm freaking a little. They're expecting 4 million on the mall (and they aren't even giving out rally towels)...Gack, that's, like, four blocks from here.
Check out our new inauguration blog...and tell me this soap-on-a-rope isn't the worst Obama likeness evah.

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 18, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dfan | November 18, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

When did Dan Snyder say anything about 11 wins? I must have missed that.

While I understand what spizzle points out, I think certain aspects of the year do play like a transition year: new coach, new system, new 10 person draft class, etc. I suspect the Redskins may get caught in the middle here if they are not careful - not great in short term and not set up for greatness long term (but perennially good / contending for wildcard). Most towns would be pretty OK with that but I suspect not here.

Posted by: zornskins2 | November 17, 2008 7:33 PM

After hiring Zorn and before the draft, The Owner was asked how he would define "success" for the new coach this year ... and The Owner responded "deep into the playoffs."

dcsween's definition for success under the new coach was "better than .500" so I'm three games away from full satisfaction. That said (and given what The Owner said), I also hope Zorn keeps his job for next year.

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"If line is as big a problem as we all think it is they will FA to fix, so they can get guys who are ready to start, if for some reason they think its still a year or two away I am guessing they will draft to fix.

Posted by: alex35332 "

I'm expecting Heyer to start next year, and what about Rhinehart?

If those two are starting next year and donig well, we might could just try drafting a center (Alex Mack, Cal) or a stud lineman (Duke Robinson, Oklahoma) in the first round and we're looking at three new, younger O linemen.

I honestly thought the plan was to start Heyer and Rhinehart next year, but I could be wrong.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Guess I am just the internal optimist. ...

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 17, 2008 10:01 PM

Its what's inside that counts.

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

"If you had a descent QB then you would probably have a chance when your RB's get hurt. Lets see if Zorn can actually step up and be a head coach he has not had to do it yet and has no experience doing when he needs to, does he even know the names of his defensive players?? Maybe portis should coach doesnt he run the team and says when he plays or not?

Posted by: Dfan | November 18, 2008 10:18 AM"

Gimme Zorn over that bum lameduck coach yall got any day.

lol

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Ouch!!! That soap-on-a-rope is Prince Charles, I swear it.

Oh and for those still debating the whole regular/non-regular thing...

Tomorrow is World Toilet Day. I kid you not.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 18, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I think Rhinehart has a big future in this league. Heyer...well I get the impression that his future is now and he is going to have to step up big time this season or he will be getting replaced in the off-season.

Posted by: Soup17 | November 18, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I dunno if they had a plan with when to start the two young linemen. I think even if you draft a quality Center, you are gonna need him to sit and get salted a year.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

What is the guy, a Center or a salt beef sandwich? Satele started last year as a rookie and did just fine - on a very sucky team. :)

Posted by: Redcoat | November 18, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Dfan,
Your Doughboy won't even be around to see your new oversized overrated texas style stadium there in the "big D". So when it comes to talking trash I think you may want to stick to Marion Barber v. our traffic cones on the oline rather than the men calling plays from the sidelines.

Posted by: Soup17 | November 18, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Kareem Moore has been playing on Special Teams...as has Devin Thomas.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

if they don't wanna go center in the first round, big Duke Robinson is the way to go.

Center in the 3rd round could pull a top 3 or top 4 center, too, based on an NFL scout who wished to remain anonymous.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | November 18, 2008 9:16 AM

Speaking of transparency, is Casper the Ghost the undead version of Richie Rich? Their faces have an uncanny resemblance. And how did Richie Rich die anyway?

My druthers for the draft would be a DT ... the kind of guy who otherwise would be destined to be a NT in a 3-4. I could not BELIEVE how big and quick Shaun Rogers (NT/Browns) was last night. The Bills had trouble TRIPLE teaming that guy. I love Cornelius, but his biological clock is ticking and we are in need of a beastly pocket collapser. Otherwise, I agree about the O-line (and the sediments about another nasty DE or OLB).

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Why doesn't Buges get any criticism here?
He is the only holdover from the Gibbs 2.0 era and so far his players represent our biggest problem/liability.

Posted by: Soup17 | November 18, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

the reason we're losing is a failure to play "smash mouth football" against teams with good defense. 13 carries for Portis vs Pitt. 15 carries vs Dallas is not the way to play when it's winning time. the 3rd and 2 pic Campbell threw was a perfect example. With CP, Betts, Alexander and Rock at our disposal we should be hitting anything not wearing a skin uniform and imposing OUR will on the opposition with a consistent power running attack. THEN the passing game will work but first we have to establish the fact that we are here to play physical football! SMASH MOUTH Baby SMASH MOUTH!!

Posted by: LAskinfan | November 18, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

orig-e, I think snee recently re-upped with the G-men, maybe at the beginning of the year or something??

Alex, the pass on third down to Thomas was a bad throw by JC, I believe Zorn said as much.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: driley | November 18, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Exactly why Vinny needs to re-tool how he evaluates talent, or Danny needs to suck it up and fire his sleep over buddy.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 18, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Kareem Moore has been playing on Special Teams ... as has Devin Thomas.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2008 10:27 AM

My understanding is that EVERYBODY who suits up plays on at least one of the special teams. Might be that Moore and/or Thomas have become more noticeable for the their jamming, gunning, and/or mapping roles.

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

why are people talking about next year? we should be focused on the remaining 6 games. this isn't a pep talk but rather a suggestion that we need to analyze what we got in our QB and our coach and our GM.

everyone agreed including nate that it's W's and L's for JC. well he's on his way down so let's see if he can pull it up in time to make the playoffs. no more excuses rember?????????????

zorny seems like has been figured out and some of his decisions are just plain weird and says something about his leadership in bad times. so let's see how he does in the remaining 6 games. rember it's not how you start it's how you finish. what he does in the next 6 games (offensive adjustments) will tell us a lot more about what kind of coach he will be in the future. fortunately W's and L's don't apply to his future. it's how he goes down...if his offense is going to struggle scoring 2 TD's every week then that is a Brian Billick type of a problem not a personnel problem. marty could score two TD's with Shawn King (i forgot the qb's name)...c'mon! i don't want another brian billick meaning an offensive coach who's offense sucks every year and counts on his D to win games. if he's a good offensive coach his offense should be able to score two TD's with portis, moss, jc, cooley. no damn excuses!

it's perty obvious (my opinion) that any good nfl coach, especially this one will have problems with vinny's "success" rate.

Posted by: dealer1 | November 18, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Fred Davis sometimes doesn't know whether the play called is a pass or run? Can someone answer the question as to why our rookies, 11 weeks into the season, don't know what to do? Is our scheme so much more difficult to learn than everyone else's? There are rookies playing all of the the league and thriving. Do we draft stupid athletes? Something's wrong with this....

Posted by: sunnyman1 | November 18, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Guess I am just the internal optimist. ...

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 17, 2008 10:01 PM

Its what's inside that counts.

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping for a few hot interns this summer myself.

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 18, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

---

I hear the monopoly guy and Mr. Magoo teamed up and did a hostile takeover of The Rich Family Empire, and sent them to the poor house where Richie soon died after being shanked over a loaf of bred buy none other than our own Prison Balls.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

The way I see it is even if our O-line continues their dismal play this week and it does lead to a season ending injury for JC, at least we could still have a Toddtastic finish to the season just like last year!

Posted by: Soup17 | November 18, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

dealer, I don't know how you can watch this team and blame the quarterback. Not that he's been perfect, but it'd be hard for anybody to look good under pressure that is sudden and constant. I think Campbell has shown how good he is when he's given time: very good. If you don't agree with that, I don't know what to say to you.

We need the O line to get right and get the ground game going again. Which is about play calling as much as execution. Inexcusable to see them get away from the run in these close games.

We need this Seattle game big time, because it's going to be tough sledding against the Jints the following week.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Who was the young guy in the front office that JLC was talking about beginning of the year, who interned with the skins went to the bears and then came back? Brown? I remember hearing an interview with that guy on Vinny's show, it was clear to me which one will be the more successful guy in the NFL for the course of his career. And it was not Bug eyes.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

DID YOU GUYS KNOW THE "WHITE" HOUSE WAS BUILT BY BLACK MEN.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 18, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Dealer

Except that JC can't throw when his O-line is being pushed back on him.

Do we draft stupid athletes? Something's wrong with this....

Posted by: sunnyman1

Evidently.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | November 18, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah, and we need to score touchdowns. Did I mention that? We need to score touchdowns. Lots of 'em.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Morocco Brown.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

See I think the problem was that we want our kicker to look good in the Dannys FFL this year.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Buges and Blache to me, both need to be held accountable. Landry is playing 30 yards away from ANYTHING that happens on the field. The corners on this team are playing great, he needs to start getting the qb on his back.

Buges needs to see that Jansen is done, and suggest that change be made.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

And it was not Bug eyes.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see those atrocious BMW of Sterling ads during last night's game?

When you combine Doc Walker's stilted delivery with Vinny's "shiftiness" (my God do those eyes EVER stop moving side to side?) you have a disaster of "Theater Vithion" magnitude.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 18, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Poolman,

I played against a "poolman" last night on COD World at War. Was that you?

Posted by: mmok2 | November 18, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Buges needs to see that Jansen is done, and suggest that change be made.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Thank you. I was hoping I wasn't the only one. It is rediculous! I think Buges should be on the VERY hot seat right now. This is rediculous. I don't care who he has to work with. They are not playing inspired football.

Posted by: Soup17 | November 18, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Oh and while I'm blathering; does anyone else think that Hank Williams Jr. singing "are you ready for some football?" now sounds just like the monster from Young Frankenstein when he sings "Putting on the Ritz"?

As you were.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 18, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't Morraco Brown a character in a cartoon a long time ago?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

BeanTownGreg, someone needs to cover the top. If not Landry, then who?

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Truth,
I was also surprised they took Colt over Andre Woodson (the kid from Kentucky). When drafting a third-string project QB in the 6th round, the guy with more upside potential (Woodson)seems like the way to go. Colt does appears to be a serviceable third-string option for the time being, but that pick has always bothered me - especially since the Giants ended up taking him, because we know they tend to have a pretty good eye for late round value in their drafts.

Posted by: PDXskin | November 18, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Truth,

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | November 18, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Ref the Davis not knowing Pass or Run.

They oughta put in all rookie contracts: Give a test after week 8 of the Rookie Season. If you can't get a playcall and name whether run or pass you get booted from the league and banned forever. Totally inexcusable.

Posted by: Gweez | November 18, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Ok it was Brown, thanks PDX.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

You're thinking of Morocco Mole JohnD - he was Secret Squirrel's sidekick.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 18, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez

Plus forfeit your contract and free up cap room, or....... play QB for the Eagles for years and not know the rules about OT!

Posted by: lsskinsfan | November 18, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Ref the Davis not knowing Pass or Run.

Posted by: Gweez | November 18, 2008 10:47 AM

Or at least they have do extra homework, like the Cooley Naked Home Study Playbook Tests, Remedial Edition.

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

You simply cannot go wrong with a fez.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand how one can't know they can tie, I mean the last tie was a while back but it was during McNabb's career, does he not know how to read the rankings and never noticed that?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Ah ha - and he was Secret Squirrel's sidekick - that's what I couldn't remember.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Isn't about time for a new posting about how the players are spending their time doing word find puzzles?

Posted by: Soup17 | November 18, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Sween. Some of that is on the coaches too. I'd have that dude locked down studying. Or make him hold Cooley's playbook as he studies...

Posted by: Gweez | November 18, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

dc, he's playing so far out of the picture that he's basically negated, except for runs of over 10 yards. The corners are playing well enough, that I don't think on every play he needs to be back there.

just my .02...

rc, "young Frankenstein" and "secret squirrel", you're really showing your age with those references....of course me knowing what they are gives me up as well....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I don't think we have an alternative to having LaRon playing deep... and isn't Blache essentially running a similar umbrella type scheme as Grilliams, focused on eliminating the big play? You gotta have a guy deep to make that work, keep everything in front of you.

(Wistful thoughts of what coulda been... Sean Taylor...)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"Umm...see Desean Jackson and Eddie Royal. Rookie or not, if the ball hits both hands, you should be able to hold onto it at the NFL level. Hands down.

Posted by: Devo2"

yeah, Braylon Edwards should definitely be cut. He led the league in drops last year (based on what they said yesterday, although I thought it was TO), and is currently leading the league in dropped passes.

What a pitiful player, oh wait...

Gimme a break, it happens to the absolute best.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Come on, I was born in the 80's and I know all about both, Hanna Barbara was in re-runs on Cartoon Express for most my childhood, not to mention all the Adult Swim references to all things HB over the past 10 years. And Young Frankenstein is one of the Mell Brooks Classics, a parent who does not show their kids Young Frankenstein, and Blazing Saddles is bordering child abuse.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

And don't get me started about Squiddly Diddly...

Or did we already discuss Cooley and the naked playbook thing?

Posted by: Redcoat | November 18, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Our secondary is one of the top in the league right now, how can you rip on TheRon?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

OMG - Squiddly Freakin' Diddly

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Also, for anyone saying our D needs to step up or our DC needs to be held accountable, get off it.

The D has been pretty much lights out and the only, only, only shining light of this team all season for the most part. Add that into the fact that we lost a pro-bowl player last year out of nowhere.

With the way our secondary has performed without Shaun Springs for the majority of this year, the secondary is IMO the best in the league.

Our pass rush is horrific, but right now that is not our worst part of the team, not by a long shot. We have such a good secondary, it overcompensates for the lack of pass rush.

OL is the weakest link on this team by far, and I say you draft OL with your first two picks, then draft a DL/DE and possibly make a move in FA for an above average one who would fit in here.

But OL is just the glaring weakness and it's awful to watch.

Rumor has it Heyer might be starting next week...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

(Wistful thoughts of what coulda been... Sean Taylor...)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Yes, LaRon just aint ST unfortunately. As much as I like our boy Horton I think you need a good FS and move LL back to SS. He's just a good fit there.

Posted by: Gweez | November 18, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Any type of Safety should not be near the top of the list for us.
If you were to rank the positions where we need new blood and talent thats got to be near bottom of the list. Infact here is just a quick ranking in order of most needed to least IMHO

OT
HB
QB
SS
CB
TE

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

alex, all I'm saying is that having him play deep basically negates his playmaking ability, I'm saying the corners are playing well enough that you don't need him that deep every play.

The defense needs to come up with a way to get some sacks, and thats the DC's job.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

laron is doing the job they asked him to do. Cant compare him to what it could have been. While not at all being his forte Landry is doing a great job at the centerfield style FS position we have him at. he has been there making hard hits on ball catchers they just havent jarred loose yet. There havent been to many tests for him either beacuse the amount of times they go for these long passes has been down, this is beacuse he is still a constant threat back there.
I would like to see huim at his natural position SS, playing close to the line playing the run and thrown in on blitzes, if that were the case this year he may very well be leading our team in sacks by now. But at the same time i like the system we use with this centerfield position and he is better suited for it then anyone. 1. Either change the scheme, 2. get someone better at the FS job then he is or 3. leave it as is, i think leaving it as is would eb the best option 1 or 2 take time and shouldnt be done this time of the season.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 18, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

QB
SS
RI reporter
TE

that's how I would rank 'em

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

nate, i think jc is a D killer and needs to be more of a killer (receivers don't need to have a 5 yard cushion for him to throw) when given time. i don't have an answer as to why he's playing poorly. and he was getting time with the same exact personnel before the rams game. also maybe just maybe can you concede that his play made the O-line look better than it really is earlier in the year? and now his not so good play is making them look not so good? btw he's locking in on receivers again...on the fourth down and on the interception he was just locked in on moss.

why is he regressing? we can say it's the o-line and it probly is the o-line but it's the same o-line as last year's playoff team. it's the same o-line of earlier this year. and most likely it'll be the same o-line next year.

also where is the urgency in zorny? this is not the time to be staying medium. put moss in on punts, put kelly in, run portis and betts to the ground...act like you're desperate gosh darn it!

i am so confused. they were perfect in the first drive and the second drive they took out portis. and didn't run much. why?

Posted by: dealer1 | November 18, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

+++ It's obvious what needs fixing and it's clear Zorn has a direction, everyone just needs to be a little patient.

Posted by: theSilverFox++++

It was obvious last April, too. The skins needed a receiver to complement Moss and young, big Olinemen to eventually replace the smallish, aging OLine.

What makes ME impatient isn’t the fact the problems aren’t recognized, but that they aren’t addressed adequately by the front office.

Vinny & Co had five tries to provide an additional receiving threat (3 draftees 2 FAs) and have gone O for FIVE. That is beyond incompetence. As for addressing the Oline isues? They added precisely one OLineman (who wasn't active Sunday.)

Patience doesn’t cure that kind of inadequacy. Zorn may be going in the right direction, but as usual, the people who supply the field geneal with ammo are still lost in the woods.

Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

+++ ... can't redo trades or drafts, you dance with who you brung....

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Yeah but only a crazy person keeps bringing the same dance partner to the prom year after year. And that ugly sow in the corner with the fright wig and Lederhosen is none other than Danny’s regular dance and racketball partner, Vinneta.

Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

You know, Moltar, from the Space Ghost show, might make a great guard.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Here's another way to look at it: what ONE unit of the team would you like to see dramatically improve its play the rest of this season?

quarterback
running backs
receivers
O line
D line
linebackers
secondary

For me, it's the O line -- if the O line does its job, every other area on offense does better, and by extension every area on our already-very-good defense does better (off the field more, defending leads more often...)...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2008 11:20 AM"

again, you're assuming that Kelly, Thomas, and even Big Sleepy won't amount to anything.

I'd be VERY surprised if at least one of them doesn't turn out to be a pretty good contributor.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

dealer, you really think Campbell is the problem, don't you?

(shaking my head in amazement)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

++++Greg,
Well you know JLC he loves the cheap shot.

Posted by: Flounder21+++

Flounder, how DO you type from inside Danny’s pocket? Is there enough light in there? Seriously, dude, I’m worried about eyestrain for you.

And as for your Madden comment—speaking of cheap shots---NO!! Absolutely wrong!! There is NO WAY on Earth I or any one of us here could be an NFL GM. Unfortunately, the same truth applies to the current Redskins GM.

This is why it’s critically important to make that change at the top—altho frankly I’m not sure Snyder is capable of picking the right guy.

But one thing is true in the NFL, as people like Parcells and the dudes drafting for the Giants and Tennessee and NE prove repeatedly. If you DON’T have a genius as GM, you are doomed to mediocrity.

Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | November 18, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Keep in mind both of those RB's one being a potential HOFmer have both had grade 2 MCL sprains wihin the last month. Not sure running them to the ground would be the best option for this team in the long run. I do think JC has regressed a little the last couple games especially, he is locking on recievers and his timing should be more crisp by now. But you can hardly fault him when your letting freking Ratliff beat our entire O-line. Buges does need to start getting some heat for their preformance it was been consistantly worsening every week as of late, this is not the time of year whe you want your O-line regressing.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 18, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I agree Nate. It has to be the O Line

JM2220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 18, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

dealer, you really think Campbell is the problem, don't you?

(shaking my head in amazement)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

He still holds the ball too long at times.

He still doesn't throw it away when he has the opportunity.

But on the list of problems on offense he's near the bottom of the list.

Posted by: Gweez | November 18, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

++++"Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2008 11:20 AM"

Posted by: TheTruth11 +++

Quite possibly true. However, would it have been too much to have drafted people who helped THIS YEAR? It goes back to the schizophrenia issue. If you are building for the future ,NO WAY the team makes the ridiculous Jason Taylor trade.

And I seriously don‘t think Vinny said—hey, it’s okay to draft two dumb guys and a gimp because eventually they’ll come around. DeSean? Royal? Avery? Who needs ‘em!

If as much thought to rebuiling the skins went on at redskin park as Excuse making for incompentency in the front office goes on here, the skins would be in the Superbowl every year.

Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Not that one play lost the game or whatever, but if Moss catches that deep ball that hit him in the hands Sunday night, most of this conversation is not happening...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

+++Buges and Blache to me, both need to be held accountable...

Buges needs to see that Jansen is done, and suggest that change be made.

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

Fair enough, I hereby hold Blache accountable for holding Dallas to 14 points despite not having a starting LB and starting CB available for most/all of the game.

As for Buges. It wasn’t JUST Jansen. Most of the OL was being pushed back into the offensive backfield. Small, old and worn down is no way to go thru life as an offensive lineman.

Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2"

What a pitiful player, oh wait...

Gimme a break, it happens to the absolute best.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

If he leaves more production on the field than he gives you, then yes cut him or light a fire in his you-know-what.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 18, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"I don't think JC is the problem at all but I will say this. He's still a game manager IMO. That is not to say he won't become more but he's not making plays out of nothing.

He still holds the ball too long at times.

He still doesn't throw it away when he has the opportunity.

But on the list of problems on offense he's near the bottom of the list.

Posted by: Gweez"

I'd say he's about in the middle. Him and the WR's just seem off.

And I haven't watched enough tapes, nor do I have the ability to watch enough tapes, so I don't know who is to blame, but it's just not good.

Our offense is painful to watch.

The O line is obviously the #1 problem, it's pitiful, but we just look inept as an entire unit out there. Nothing on the offensive side of the ball looks good.

Our D has been winning us games all year, and when it works it's okay, but the O has got to step up and do something. We looked like the same team that lost to NY in week 1 against the Girls in Week, what, 11?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Yikes!

"Put Moss in on punts."
Lose Moss on a punt return and your season is dead from that point on.

The offensive line is the same as it ever was this season. The difference is that Portis was healthy for the first half of the season. You can tell that during the Pittsburg game he has not been 70% of what he was. Zorn had faith in a healthy Portis that he does not have now. Betts at less than 80% is hurting us big time as well. A healthy Portis or Betts made the defensive line play run first, which obviously slowed the pass rush and made the passing game efficient. By playing pass first defensive lines are wreaking havoc on our weaker offensive line.

Posted by: driley | November 18, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Beepster

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree two teams from the NFC South will go to the playoffs. I think Carolina will win the division with Tampa Bay taking the wild card. In the NFC West the Cardinals should take the division with only one team going from the west. In the NFC North it is really a toss up but, I think the Packers will win the division and go as a wild card. The NFC East is anyones guess with only the Giants playing the best football. If the Redskins can get five of the next six they should go as a wild card and maybe get a home game. I still think Dallas is way over rated and will lose more games. Philly is just a bad football team. So if the Redskins can get the offense back on track they should have no problem. The key word is IF!

Posted by: bigjofc | November 18, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Guess I am just the internal optimist. ...

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 17, 2008 10:01 PM

Its what's inside that counts.

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

**************

It was late and I had just finished a LONG weekend of traveling and drinking (Houston to Austin to Houston to DC to Houston!)

But you made me laugh outloud, so thanks.

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 18, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

cork=power rankings

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 "

light a fire in his you-know-what so he can to a different team and produce?

Interesting logic.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | November 18, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

also, sorry guys but you can put me at the top of the list of people who do not expect us to make the playoffs this year.

Not gonna quit cheering for our boys, but I just don't see it happening this year unless something clicks with the offense.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I just really, really want the Cowboys to miss the playoffs so much more than normal after JJ's dumba$$ guarantee - I just cannot stand him and would LOVE for him to look like a complete moron.

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 18, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Jerrah Jones already looks like a complete moron.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Totally lost as to what the most recent post is.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Here is why the Skins will go 8:8:

Offensive line was brilliant during CP’s 5 120 yard games. It is now banged up.

Samuels is playing on one leg. Cooley needs to assist Mr. Jansen in pass protection. Cooley is the only other legitimate receiver after Moss. Thomas, ARE and Thrash are not contributing, even when Moss is double teamed on almost every play. Portis can only go 50% of the time on 1 and 1/2 leg. Alexander is a stupid mistake, Betts hurt too. Davis? Let's not go there except saying: bust.

No pass rush from the front four. Secondary and linebackers are bailing them out.

And all this talk about how the opposition has figured out Zorn?: B.S.
Gibbs was figured out by 1982 – and he won consistently for a decade– because he had players in the trenches.

Missing are: Jacoby, Grimm, Starke, Schlereth, etc
Missing are: Butz, Grant, Manley, Mann.
Missing are: Monk, Walker, Didier

So, yes: perhaps not drafting "the best athlete available," (ha) but drafting for need might be something to consider, Mr. Cerrato. Heyer and Rinehart don’t cut it, and Heyer wasn’t even a draft pick!

Posted by: 8andeight | November 18, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

alex, as am I??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 18, 2008 11:49 AM

I hate to bring up Jasno's Ravens, but they won a Super Bowl with NO offense whatsoever. I think they went about 4 or 5 weeks without scoring ANY touchdowns! This team went to the playoffs last year with about the same type of production we're seeing now and I would argue the defense is better than it was last year. With the Skins remaining schedule, there is NO EXCUSE for missing the playoffs...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 18, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"Heyer and Rinehart don’t cut it, and Heyer wasn’t even a draft pick"

This just in, you're stupid......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

nate, don't be shaking your head...punk! you're telling me you expect less than two Td's a game from your starting QB with all the offensive weapons around him?

it's okay to be critical and still be a fan. i'm not calling for him to be benched. i don't know gm level football. i'm telling you what i'm seeing. i just expect the qb to do a bit more either by design (on zorny) or from nature (instincts)...

btw... sally wrote an article on the o-line:

Posted by: dealer1 | November 18, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Cyn,

Your post "2 views" isn't on top.

Posted by: Gweez | November 18, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"Heyer and Rinehart don’t cut it, and Heyer wasn’t even a draft pick"

This just in, you're stupid......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 12:02 PM

Thank you for revealing that you should shut up and not opening your mouth to assert that you are an idiot.

Posted by: 8andeight | November 18, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

bigjofc, if the Packers win the NFC North division they would not go in as a wild card....

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

8&8, tell me how reinhardt isn't cutting it, when he hasn't played yet??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 18, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Can it be? Sally Jenkins writes a positive article on the Skins?

Posted by: Redcoat | November 18, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow is World Toilet Day. I kid you not.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 18, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse
I'm being lazy, did not go to the site. What are we to do, take an extra SJK?

Posted by: frediefritz | November 18, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse