Posted at 6:05 AM ET, 12/16/2010

Statistical analysis: Hunter Smith's production

By Brian Burke
Statistical analysis

Hunter Smith was purportedly released by the Redskins for his punting and not for his flubbed hold on the failed extra point that would have sent Sunday's game into overtime. It's true that Smith's gross distances were below his career average and near the bottom of the league this season, but it's not nearly that simple.

Over Smith's 12-year career, he has averaged 43.0 gross yards per punt, ranging from a high of 45.0 yards per punt to a low of 40.5 yards per punt, which he grossed both this season and in 2002 with the Colts. That's right in line with the league averages over the past decade.

Gross punting yards alone is not a good way to measure punters. It's sensitive to several factors beyond a punter's control, including weather and blocking. But the most important factor by far is field position. The league's best punters often have the shortest gross distances because many times they happen to be punting on a short field, trying to pin opponents deep in their own territory while avoiding a touchback. Everyone knows a 33-yard punt from an opponent's 45 is a good thing, and a 45-yard punt would be bad.

Smith had only one touchback all season, which isn't factored in to the equation for gross yards. For example, a punter who kicks 60 yards into the end zone is credited with 60 gross yards and 40 net.

Additionally, Smith's averages are hurt by a "partial block" against the Giants that resulted in an 8-yard gross. Blocked punts are rightfully not counted against punters, but according to the official NFL statistics, "partial blocks," which I didn't even realize existed, are counted.

Factor in the lack of touchbacks and that partial block, and you have a punter who's right in the middle of the statistical pack, if not completely average. So the claim he was released because of his punting and not the mishandled hold is not convincing. His stats weren't significantly different going into last Sunday's game, so if gross punting yards were the problem, why wasn't he released a week ago?

It's true that the Redskins' punting game was near the bottom of the league with Smith. Over his nine games this season, his punts have net -18.0 Expected Points Added (EPA), meaning they've cost the team about 18 points. (Only the Chargers are worse at -28.4 EPA.) The real problem is most likely the punt coverage.

The Redskins' punt coverage is second worst in the league, allowing 14.9 yards per return. Again, this places the coverage team second worst to the Chargers. Smith's punts may have contributed if they were low, shallow kicks, but a lack of a few hundredths of a second of hang-time does not account for long returns of 52, 71, and 87 yards.

Hunter Smith was certainly not having a career year in 2010, but the Redskins' problems, statistical and otherwise, go far deeper than the punter.

Brian Burke is the creator of Advanced NFL Stats, a Web site about football, statistics and game theory.

By Brian Burke  | December 16, 2010; 6:05 AM ET
Categories:  Hunter Smith, Statistical analysis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins hold rare practice on artificial turf
Next: Redskins getting ready for Cowboys, regardless of teams' records

Comments

What a FIRST class waste of time analyzing former players...count on a statistical analysis for Jason Campbell, Marko Mitchell, and LaVar Arrington in the coming days...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

By Brian Burke | December 16, 2010; 6:05 AM ET

Yawn. Hey, Brian, did you make all the adjustments to the other punters' statistics before placing Smith in the middle of the pack?

If you listened to what Shanahan said about him the problem was in his hang time. "Of the last 20 or so punts there were only two that had adequate hang times." The low hang times are what make the punt coverage look bad -- not the other way around.

So, why don't you work off of statistics for hang times, stat geek?

Posted by: i4abuy | December 16, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

So, why don't you work off of statistics for hang times, stat geek?

Posted by: i4abuy | December 16, 2010 7:25 AM

You can make stats say whatever you want 'em to say. I could tell you 100% of people polled in Bethesda hate the Cowboys. If I only asked two people wearing Redskins jerseys at a sports bar, then my "statistical analysis" is totally correct...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

REPOST:

Latest rumor is that the Redskins were looking for a punter who could ding the Dallas scoreboard.

Paulescu may not bring much in the way of distance punting, but he seems to be better than most in getting height and hang time.

And even if Paulescu only proves to be a one-week wonder, the Redskins front office thought it was worth the effort to find someone who could dent the board.

It's all part of Dan Snyder’s evil little plan to discredit Dallas owner and division rival Jerry Jones -- and his brand new Texas stadium –- especially at a time when Diminutive Dan can't seem to come up with enough cash to fund a much-needed indoor practice facility.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 15, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | December 16, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

This guys posts are so dry I might as well just do some work.

Posted by: wireman65 | December 16, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Vic, that wasn't funny yesterday...what made you think that change today?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

are you serious?

I hate this guys articles more everytime I see them.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 16, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Because nobody just does a statistical analysis to draw a conclusion...they draw conclusions and then find stats to back them up. ... You can make stats say whatever you want 'em to say.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 7:32 AM

Yesterday you were up here with "Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument." Today it's "The facts will never get in the way of a good argument."

Posted by: i4abuy | December 16, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

NNNNNNNEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 16, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: i4abuy | December 16, 2010 8:11 AM

If you can't tell the difference between stats and facts, then there's no point in even engaging you in this conversation...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Redskins notes and analysis

By: John Keim 12/15/10 6:30 PM
Examiner Staff Writer

1. The big topic today, and one that could be a building one as the season unfolds, was Donovan McNabb. Again. And this whole topic resurfaced because of national reports stating that Rex Grossman might start (or had taken more reps in practice last week, suggesting he might play vs. Tampa Bay). Were they true? Haven’t confirmed it, but just know that Chris Mortensen and Jay Glazer were the reporters and have many, many sources.

2. Coach Mike Shanahan wouldn’t say if McNabb would start, opting for coyness. At times he appeared to enjoy the sparring with the media, which asked the same question many different ways. Part of the gig. Shanahan tried to play it off as if he wanted to toy with Dallas. But it is odd that he wouldn’t come out and say McNabb was his starter. Just leads to questions going forward and Shanahan has to know that.

3. McNabb is not worried about any of this. “I can’t afford to,” he said. “If I don’t get that from the guy who makes the decisions, then I don’t focus on it. There’s been reports and sources say all throughout the last part of my career.”

4. I don’t know who the sources were on this story; I do know both reporters have been around a long time and have some excellent sources in every organization. Smoke often equals fire. That’s why McNabb’s future with Washington will remain up for debate until he’s back in training camp.

5. McNabb did say his relationship with Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan improved after his benching in Detroit. “The communication got a lot better,” McNabb said. “We were the talk of the bye week so everyone wanted to know if it was going to get better and it did.”

6. Tight end Chris Cooley, who made a crack Monday during his paid weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan that fans could come “watch him block.” This after he caught just two passes in the loss to Tampa. Of course, he does have 62 catches this season. “It’s frustrating to run routes and be open,” Cooley said. “But on a lot of those routes Santana made plays. As a player you want them to find ways to get you the ball and we talked about that too. But I’ve had a lot of catches. I’m not going to go back and complain to anyone about not catching balls. I might give a persuasive nudge.”

Posted by: i4abuy | December 16, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

7. Cooley said it was not the plan to go away from him vs. the Bucs. He also said he likes this offense because he’s used a little more as he was in the Al Saunders system, where he’s in motion about 60 or 70 percent of the time. “I feel very confident in my ability to block guys in motion,” Cooley said. “I feel better starting routes in motion instead of in a static position. I always feel like I’m in an advantage in this offense. I don’t go into games saying, ‘I’m gonna have to do a hell of a job this week because it’s going to be tough for me. I go into games saying I have to know my stuff and do what I’m supposed to do and I’m very confident in my ability to do that.”
8. Shanahan said Hunter Smith’s inability to handle a poor snap on the botched extra point was not the reason for his release Tuesday. Rather, Smith’s hangtime and poor punting was the issue. In his last 20 punts, he only had two where he had the acceptable hangtime. The Redskins like the ball to be in the air for at least 4.3 seconds. “I told Hunter I admired the way he stepped up and blamed on himself,” Shanahan said. “It was a combination of the snap and the hold, but Hunter is the type of guy that took full responsibility for that. I said I was going to keep you just for the way you handled yourself. … It had nothing to do with the hold.”
9. I don’t doubt for a minute that Smith’s punting led to the release; it had been mediocre at best. And I don’t doubt that his age played a factor; he’s 33 and is what he is – a declining punter. But there’s a small part that wonders what would have happened had he controlled the hold.
10. Cornerback Carlos Rogers (hamstring) was limited in practice Wednesday, but Shanahan said he “looked good.” The Redskins are hopeful that he’ll play Sunday at Dallas. Place kicker Graham Gano (ribs) was able to practice, but defensive ends Kedric Golston (groin) and Phillip Daniels (stomach) were sidelined. It’s uncertain if they’ll be able to go Thursday. Safety Kareem Moore (knee), returner Brandon Banks (knee) and linebacker Lorenzo Alexander (hamstring) were limited.
11. Because this is Dallas week, here’s the quote from Brian Orakpo: “You can’t get no bigger regardless of the record. It’s all about pride; it’s all about prestige…This determines what kind of team we have and what kind of players we have on this team.”
12. Cooley is very honest about what it’s like at this time of the year. “It’s not a lot of fun to play when your ultimate goal can’t be achieved. It’s cold out here; it isn’t a lot of fun. Obviously we’re still playing for something. There’s a lot as far as building this team and I think there’s a lot of confidence as far as the players go, in us becoming better and really building to be a good team. So you look forward to that and you look forward to the future I guess.”

Posted by: i4abuy | December 16, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

good to see the knicks come up just short last night, although I will say their 100 million dollar man, seems to be working out better than the Redskins version....more punter news...great, next up, a statistical analysis of Rock Carwright's career...yuck...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Why does everyone think that the Redskins released the punter thinking he was the core of all of their problems. Hunter Smith was just a contributor, and the sum total of what he contributed was not what they expected from a seasoned veteran. In the team's eyes, the remainder of this season is about next year, so why not bring in a younger punter who could stick around for the long term. It was pretty obvious Hunter was a stop-gap any how.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

@brownwood

I'll write this slowly -- so you can try to read it at the same pace and take your time trying to figure out why I thought it might be funny:

When I wrote up the comment yesterday, I was trying to offer some sort of absurd reason for dumping a so-so punter with three meaningless games left to play in an otherwise forgettable season.

Was also trying to anticipate the team's explanation of how it wasn't really Smith's fault the Redskins bobbled the PAT attempt and lost to Tampa Bay -- but then again...

So I threw a wild guess out there that the front office must have been interested in getting more hang time.

And by some strange coincidence and not an hour or two later, Ol' Shanahan steps out and offers the very same rationale.

Which is my longwinded way of saying, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, and told ya so!

And as for Snyder's evil little plan -- suffice it to say that any plan that Diminutive Dan comes up with must be defined and characterized as a product of its miniature and malevolent source.

Thanks for the opportunity to elucidate!

Posted by: Vic1 | December 16, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I just want to beat Dallas and beat them bad. I still pick Washington in pools every week and always carry hope into every Sunday....right up until the first 3 and out. It's all just so depressing. Looking forward to next year.....in November.

Posted by: westjr88 | December 16, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Excellent analysis, Brian. Don't let these rockheads get you down. The loudest and most frequent commenters are--more often than not--also the dumbest. It's why reading blog comments (on sports blogs in particular) can be so mind-numbing.

Not only are these numbers meaningful, but they reveal the idiocy and less-than-truthfulness of the current Redskins regime. In the midst of an awful season they scapegoated the punter when his performance did not merit his firing, and then they denied that's what they did.

I say this as a lifelong Redskins fan: Everything about this organization sucks, and it always will as long as Snyder is the owner.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | December 16, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

"Smith had only one touchback all season, which isn't factored in to the equation for gross yards."

Unless I missed it, you should, of course, also include kicks that go out of bounds within the 20, not that it'd help Smith much.

Lies, daggum lies, and, well...

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 16, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

"partial blocks," which I didn't even realize existed, are counted.
Statistical Dude

Can we get a new NERD up in here, this one doesn't know everything. I guess that's why NERDS and sports just don't mix!

Posted by: monk811 | December 16, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Interesting, article if only it had analysed the metric, hang time, that the coach claimed Smith's release was based on.

"so if gross punting yards were the problem, why wasn't he released a week ago?"

It wasn't the problem, and he wasn't fired last week because they gave him another game. The timing, after a botched hold, might be purely coincidental. It might just be pragmatic. If you are already considering changing your punter why not do it now, rather sticking with someone who might now be worried about handling snaps.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | December 16, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

It's a below average punter, nothing to see here..

I do like the Statistical analysis posts though.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 16, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | December 16, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

co-sign

Posted by: westjr88 | December 16, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811
------------------------------

Are you trying to prove the stereotype of the dumb jock? If so, well done.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | December 16, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | December 16, 2010 8:36 AM
------------------------------------------
Going to go out on a limb here and suggest you are PABrian's sock puppet since I have never heard anyone agree with him.

Look, when Hunter Smith was let go, did the team say that it was because of his botched hold on a kick? I never read that. They let him go because his body of work stank. Some of you posters harp on about how old the team is, and when the team makes a move that gets them younger, you moan and groan.

As far as your feeling of the organization: if you truly feel that way then just go. Go be a Raiders fan and post on their weblog. May the wind fill your sails. From where I stand, the Redskins and Snyder are a package deal. You have to take the owner with the team because Dan Snyder will own the Redskins for his entire life. If you want to be a fan and can't accept Snyder, then you are going to be a miserable human being for a very long time.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 16, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Vic, thanks for the clarification. Just for future reference, if you have to explain the joke it's probably not funny. Just sayin'...

PB21, if you're so giddy over aimless analysis from "G.I. Joe with the pencil grip", then I suggest you swap email addresses so you can take that verbal felatio and kick it up a notch to the more, um, "intimate" form. I mean, really dude...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Let's see if they get a better punter.

Posted by: redclaws | December 16, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

rsh, nicely done, however you'd garner better success talking to a brick, or some other inanimate object......sometimes/a lot of the time, logic and reason are lost on some folks....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

The real problem is likely the coverage. Something that becomes more difficult with shorter hang-times.

The coach claims that they've been worried about Smith's hang-times. So why write an article refuting an argument that wasn't made.

Frankly, I am uncertain about the wisdom of firing Smith, but this season is over. If we take this as opportunity to test out younger players I'll be quite happy. I think Hunter Smith can probably play for at least a couple more years, but I can see no harm in seeing if we can find someone younger.

After all the complaints about an ageing team, we are finishing the year with three young running backs, Galloway replaced by a rookie and the staff giving more playing time to younger players.

There are a fair few more veterans I wouldn't mind seeing cut before the end of the season and replaced with youth. Rabach being the first. Hell, he hardly ever showed up against Dallas anyway. Time to relace him with Cook, Montgomery or 'Steiger.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | December 16, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Smith had to go for 3 reasons:

1. The loss last week was embarrassing and we needed a scapegoat.

2. We have a rookie longsnapper and kicker that could both be better in the future. We need someone that is competent enough to put down a hold EVERY time. We need to see what we have with them, and I'm sure they each feel a little responsible for the loss last week, so they need to be confident that they have a person back there that will help them improve and not get in a slump cause they've lost some confidence.

3. The name Hunter The Punter was getting a little old and wasn't working out. In a related story they are now trying out Zolder the Holder for the holding job.

Posted by: monk811 | December 16, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

For those talking about going fro TWO instead of kicking the extra PT (From Burke's website).

There have been 718 2-point conversion attempts from 2000-2009, including playoff games. Overall, they've been successful 46.3% of the time. But this is slightly misleading because it includes aborted kick attempts. If we weed those out, along with some other mysterious plays, such as Josh McCown's kneel-down while trailing by 5 points in the final few seconds of the Cardinals-Vikings 2003 game, we get a different answer. For all normal 2-point conversions, the success rate is 47.9%.

Now look at the success rate broken out by play type:

Play Type Success Rate Attempts

Passes 43.4% 525
Runs 61.7% 183

I would subtract 25% from, the league average pf 46.3% for our 2010 squad and give -10% to McNabb, -5% to the playcalling, -5% to lack of playmakers, & finaly a -5% to our putrid OL. And therefore we would have had a 21.3% chance to convert the 2 PT conversion.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 16, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

The organization will continue to suck as long as they keep attempting quick fixes to a much deeper problem. They had a chance with the recent regime to blow it up and start over. Do things the right way. They chose again to go for the quick fix. They have now dug an even deeper hole. They have broken has been QB and fewer draft picks. They have even more holes to fill. Any players who had trade value last year have seen their stock drop. They will now attempt to right the ship without a lot of resources. It will be 3 or 4 years before this team sniffs the playoffs.

Everyone on here criticized the eagles for going into rebuilding mode after being in the NFC championship game. Here they are leading the division with a bright future. Giants are not trending down. The Cowboys will be tougher when they get a decent coaching staff. Redskins will be cellar dwellers for the foreseeable future. It is sad to see a franchise with such a history run into the ground. Snyder is worse than Angelos. At least Angelos has to deal with no cap and free spending Boston and New York. There is no excuse for this mess in football.

Posted by: srobert1117 | December 16, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

brown, I'm with you on the reposting, not funny the first time, no one wanted it a 2nd time, but we shouldn't be surprised, this is the same cat who thought he was doing us all a service with his 'dear diary' inane ramblings..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Co-sign with RSH...pabrian/PB21 and his ilk can make their way to the Ravens bandwagon if Redskin Nation ain't cuttin' it anymore. You deserve each other...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the opportunity to elucidate!

Posted by: Vic1 | December 16, 2010 8:32 AM

And thanks for explaining why it wasn't funny.

Posted by: mack1 | December 16, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Stats, ppfft. Shanahan's "official" line (and man do I wish they would just pick one story and stick with it) is that Smith's hangtime has been slipping over his 20 most recent punts. Smith was sloppy seconds to begin with ... they wanted Bidwell. We should be rejoicing that they didn't bring in Derrick Frost or Durant Brooks for a tryout. I understand both are available.

Posted by: dcsween | December 16, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | December 16, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 9:04 AM

According to these guys, there are 31 teams in the NFL with better prosspects than the Redskins. Why stick around here?

Posted by: beep-beep | December 16, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | December 16, 2010 9:03 AM

First of all, I don't think anyone criticized them for rebuilding...their roster was getting older and they needed to go in that direction anyway. The criticism (at least from me) was that if you're going to rebuild, do so with a new coach. Reid is every bit as culpable as anyone in that building for the Eagles' failure to win a SB and if you wanna move on from McNabb, you should move on from Reid too.

Be that as it may, I agree that they're heading in the right direction, but don't overrate those guys in 2010...the ONLY reason they're atop the NFC East right now is because Michael Vick is playing out of his mind...something they didn't account for AT ALL, or else they don't re-sign Kolb long term. They lucked into Vick the same way NE lucked into Brady, NO lucked into Brees, and the Cards lucked into Warner. Without Vick, the Eagles are no better than a .500 team.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 16, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Careful, careful there Monk... Somebody might ask you to explain why you thought it was appropriate to say this. In addition to bringing it on a daily basis, I gather that we now are also expected to entertain and amuse!

Posted by: Vic1 | December 16, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Are you trying to prove the stereotype of the dumb jock? If so, well done.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | December 16, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I take acception to that rule, we ain't no dumb jocks, we's futbal playas.

Signed,
Carlos Rogers

Posted by: monk811 | December 16, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

You can point to statistics all you want but numbers don't always tell the story. Smith has been a pretty good punter throughout his career (including last year for the Skins) but more of his punts this year were down-right ugly than they were good.

It's not just a matter of what numbers tell the coaches, it's what they see as well.

Posted by: rogerward | December 16, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 8:55 AM |
-----------

brown, lighten up for god's sake

Posted by: hessone | December 16, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

You can't even blow up a team overnight. It takes a few seasons to blow up a team b/c of contracts and the need to sell tickets and such and such as. For overnight blowup, The Owner would need to convince the rest of the league (and the league would need to convince the players) to take a complete mulligan on current rosters ... 32 rosters wiped out and replaced with 32 expansion teams. Now that I say this, I'm loving this and embracing my new crazy. Skins are champs at blowing up teams ... how many head coaches in how many years?

Posted by: dcsween | December 16, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Can we just go ahead and fire Danny Smith now?! You do realize that he's the other constant in The Danny's tenure of failure, right?

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 16, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Besides the issues of hang time, Hunter's touchdown production from last year seriously declined as well. With the anemic scoring output of our offense, it is critical that our punter score touchdowns as well. Sorry, folks, Hunter Smith just wasn't getting it done, regardless of the biased statistical analysis.

Posted by: drbatchelor | December 16, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 9:04 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | December 16, 2010 9:11 AM |
------------

not every redskin fan sugarcoats everything and some have been scorned from the years of watching their beloved redskins become the laughing stock of the nfl. no need to tell fans to take a hike for their opinion because you disagree with them. just sayin'

Posted by: hessone | December 16, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Danny Smith (assistant coach of one of the leading special teams in Gibbs II, esp in change of possession differential) has not been sufficiently blown up. As CEO Shuttle says, Skins need more blowing up. (With apologies to Rodney King), "Can't we all just blow thing up?"

Posted by: dcsween | December 16, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

This had nothing to do with punting statistics. If Smith fields the snap cleanly and the Deadskins ultimately win the game, do you really think he would have been cut the next day? Scapegoating all the way.

Posted by: redhotCAPSaicin | December 16, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Great point, sween. Some up here love slurping the Bucs for doing a "true rebuild"...yet I still see Ronde Barber on their roster. Anyone who thinks you can purge a roster and replace it with fresh, young talent immediately just ain't cookin' with oil...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 16, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | December 16, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Well, I don't need to explain myself. I just write what I think is funny. Some people that share my humor can comment, others that don't and want to draw attention to themselves comment also, and then there are the ITA people. As long as we all remember that the world revolves around this blog and we should all take to heart and analyze what everyone else thinks, we will be fine!!!

Ah, don't forget to conform to what everyone else wants you to do Vic, and you'll get along on here just fine, otherwise you'll be an outcast and called a sockpuppet like me, PlayAction, h8, and hess.

In related Sarcasm News, beep is still our blog leader, PlayAction and monk811 are still the same person, so are Hess and IH8Dallas, PF is still NPI and in turn both are still racists, the Redskins still suck, Dallas still sucks even more, and Snyder is still a midget. That is all.....

Posted by: monk811 | December 16, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Skins might be a laughing stock, but they are OUR laughing stock.

Posted by: dcsween | December 16, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Skins might be a laughing stock, but they are OUR laughing stock.

Posted by: dcsween | December 16, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 16, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't really think Teams have been that bad this year. I don't think we've given up a return touchdown, even though the dude from Detroit should have had one. Coverage has been good most of the games. Do we blame Smith for Gano's misses, Sundberg's bad snaps, or Smith's drop? Was the blocked punt his fault? I can see if there had been a few blunders every game, but I think we could do worse than Danny Smith.

Posted by: monk811 | December 16, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

hess, the bigger issue is the people such as yourself who come up here and complain EVERY FRIGGIN day about Snyder. Look we ALL FRIGGIN get it, the guys made mistakes, WE GET IT, we've friggin lived it the past however many years, but here's the thing, he's not going anywhere..DO YOU FRIGGIN GET IT...DO YOU UNDERSTAND HE'S GONNA OWN THE TEAM FOR AS LONG AS HE WANTS TOO....So we can go about this a couple ways, either:
1. Get enough money together and buy him out, and YOU can own the team
or
2. Quit whining like a little b*tch...

let me know if you're not getting this...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: i4abuy | December 16, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

How bout you get snarky bout being targeted 100+ times and only pulling away 62 receptions. i know all those incomplete passes aren't drops..........well I HOPE all of them weren't drops.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | December 16, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

So we can go about this a couple ways, either:

1. Get enough money together and buy him out, and YOU can own the team

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Don't worry, Play and I are working on it!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 16, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Second worst in the league means we are almost the best at something.

I think this is cause for celebration!

Don't you?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I am tired of hearing about Cooley, since his concussion, I really only want to see him block. I think he has dropped too many passes for what we pay him and expect from him. Then complaining about not getting enough passes, F off.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 16, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

So we can go about this a couple ways, either:
1. Get enough money together and buy him out, and YOU can own the team
or
2. Quit whining like a little b*tch...

let me know if you're not getting this...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2010 9:54 AM

Hey, Beantown, you really have a limited imagination. He$$one is well ahead of you on this one. He's gone for what's behind the third door. He's ruining $nyder financially with option number

3. Boycott $nyder.

He's already driven $nyder into bankruptcy at $ix Flag$, and now he's slowly turning the screws on $nyder's Red$kin$.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 16, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Skins might be a laughing stock, but they are OUR laughing stock.

Posted by: dcsween | December 16, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I am all for firing Danny Smith, called for it last year.

It does seem that Haslett will be sticking around for another season, at least, since Shanny and him become butt pals in the off season.

Was reading over some Mocks this morning and several have us taking a CB...oh god, no.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 16, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Greg, trying to reason with Hess is about as productive as trying to get Shanahan to check his ego or discussing the theory of relativity with your own nutsack. Best thing to do is ITA...

Besides...I could see a Snyder buyout going about as well as the Moe Greene buyout went in The Godfather...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Dallas Week

Cam Newton

Fire ST Coach Smith

Did I miss anything?

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 16, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 16, 2010 10:14 AM

Yeah, but long before he and Haslett were "butt pals", he was "butt pals" with Wade Phillips. As long as Wade is out there, Haslett better be on top of his game...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 16, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Re: Cutting the Punter

Are we still talking about cutting the friggin' punter? Here's the dilly:

1) If the snap isn't botched, Hunter probably doesn't get cut.

2) But they were probably interested in releasing him anyways b/c he's old and they want to rebuild this team. They brought him in when the team still had a breathing shot to make the playoffs, and could use a veteran punter in that case. Now that the playoffs are dead to us, there's not point in keeping him around b/c he's not part of the future.

3) Cutting the punter was also a nice move to divert everyone's attention away from focusing on other debaculous aspects of the TB game like:

a) McNabb missing a plethora of throws and barely escaping about 3 ints.

b) the fact that TB lost some starting defenders, but was able to come out at half-time and completely shutdown our running game - once again, no adjustments on our end.

c) the inexcuseable end-of-half play-calling and clock management this deep into the season

Cutting the punter and talking about hang-time averages is a nice way to take pressure off of having to answer more of these kinds of questions.

Posted by: p1funk | December 16, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Skins might be a laughing stock, but they are OUR laughing stock.

Posted by: dcsween | December 16, 2010 9:47 AM |
------------

so you are happy with the same results year after year ? you can be a true redskin fan and be critical of the team, whatever the weakness is.

GROW SOME THICK SKIN

Posted by: hessone | December 16, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

let me know if you're not getting this...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2010 9:54 AM |
-------------

greg, I stopped at the beginning of the season with snyder unless he was the topic of discussion. he's been the topic of some posters here this week, but I've stayed away from it for the most part. my post this morning has nothing to do with snyder, rather, it's the folks that b!tch about the folks who b!tch that's getting old.

you my friend have alot of room to talk with your whinning about the coaching staff day in and day out. I've addressed you with posts that have nothing to do with snyder and everything to do about football. I haven't even commented about your baseball and basketball post on a football board, not to mention they're out of town teams. look in the mirror and stop your whinning and maybe we can have some decent dialog. thanks in advance.

Posted by: hessone | December 16, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Don't just look at this year, Monk. Although, stats wise - why not. We're awful. And yes, I can blame the head of the unit for it's performance. If it were one or two instances of bad player decisions, that's fine. But it's constant. There's always something wrong.

What makes it tricky is that he's had glimmers of success. No consistency, besides bad, though. It's time he was held accountable.

I woulda fired him after JGII, though.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 16, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Nice analysis. Goes to show that Shannahan is a vindictive "coach". His thing is compliance, not leadership.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | December 16, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

how do you this 'analysis' without addressing the issue that was mentioned as the reason that he was released.....HANG TIME. Shanny said specifically only about 2 of his last dozen punts hand the hang time they look for.

Posted by: guinness4health | December 16, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse