Steelers Fans Forced Silent Count

From Jason La Canfora at Redskins Park:

In what may be the saddest testament yet to the sight of the Steelers' fans taking over FedEx Field last night and dominating the lower bowl with all the terrible towels, the Redskins offense had to go to a silent count at times, at home, because of all the noise the visiting fans were making.

"We had to go silent at least a couple of times," one veteran player said. "It was loud down there, espeicially on third down. I never seen anything like that, at home, with 90,000 people there. It seemed like they had more fans than we did. That was sad. They had guys like Troy [Polamalu] raising his arms on third down and all these people are yelling and screaming for the Steelers. It was pretty sad, man."

That's about as bad as it gets, folks. Not sure how that happens with a 100,000-person waiting list and all of that good stuff, but I've never seen anything like that before. Steinberg has more on the topic, too.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 4, 2008; 10:23 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Morning H-Back
Next: Rogers Knows He Must Step Up

Comments

[whatever the opposite of "hip hip hooray" is]

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 4, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Cindy - did we accumulate any additional injuries last night? Any updates on Moss.... will he miss any time?

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 4, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Now I am not saying that redskins fansh should not fake a terrorist attack on FedEx field rendering it un-useable for all time... but we need to dump the dump, it is clearly cursed.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

This makes me want to vomit in my mouth. Bring back RFK.

Posted by: Gweez | November 4, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Mr Skin 21, don't make excuses last night was one of the lowest moments in Fan/Fed Ex history.....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 10:29 AM |

That's EVERY MNF game @ FedEx Since the 2nd one we had there. We have never won any of them..........

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 4, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

an utter disgrace....a dark day for Skins Nation. Pathetic.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why this particular subject is being brought up so much??

So there were steeler fans there, what can you do??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 4, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Look....

You go on Craigslist or StubHub in June or July and Everyone is selling Redskins Home Game Tickets. Plain and Simple. You can pick the games you want to buy. There is no secret.

I bet ya most of those Steelers fans brought their tickets WAAAAY back then. It's not hard to enfiltrate FedEx.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 4, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

So there were steeler fans there, what can you do??

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Because it way for him (JLC) to continue childish hate of Dan and Vinny

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 4, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

There were 10,000 Steelers fans there last night according to ESPN. That means there were 80,000+ Skins fans. How can 10,000 make more noise than 80,000?

Posted by: captjim | November 4, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

give me a break beantown, that didn't disgust you? It almost upsets me more than the loss. Teams lose, its part of sports, Steelers are good we got our butts kicked. It happens. I even think it can be a motivator down the stretch and doesn't send season in tail spin.

But to have home field destroyed like that, to have every snicker about skins fans validated?. C'mon it sux big time.

And 4th, I hate playing on MNF but I have never seen an away team precence like that.

Maybe I am more sensativ e b/c as a huge Capitals fan, I have seen this so much in the Caps/Pens rivarly going back 20 years. But never thought I would see something like that at a Skins homegame, while 6-2 with a fun team.

Also I ain't just blaming the fans, its a corporate atmosphere and tix dumps on stub hub from Snyder. Hopefully snyder rethinks some of his policies from that.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------

WHO?

This is the reason JLC gets bashed. He can't get a player to go on record for an innocuous comment like that?

If you can't get anything better than "one veteran player said," don't bother printing it.

And if the player in question isn't man enough to openly stand by the remarks, then don't bother making them in the first place.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

I'm not sure anything is more of a disgrace to me than losing home field advantage. Especially when your team is 6-2. I can think of a few reasons for this and none are good. Apathy, Corporate Greed, Fan disconnect all things i never thought I'd see as a skins fan.

Posted by: Gweez | November 4, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Alex, that was a really dumb post above, you're smarter than that.

I wonder how many Skins fans had to sell their tickets because they lost their job or lost a significant amount in the stock market.

Thank god we will decide a new president today officially starting the countdown to remove the worst president in the history of the modern United States, George W. Bush.

(sorry to be political, but it's election day)

Oh, and McCain is a tool.

Posted by: isnadd | November 4, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

cl, actually no, it doesn't bother me.

I'm upset they lost. I'm not bothered that fans of the opposing team went to the game.

jm, agreed, thats how I read it too....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 4, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

here you go Mr.Redskin, Samuels and Kendall:

"We actually went silent count one or two times out there," Chris Samuels said. "I mean, Jason called it so we had to basically obey it."

Wait, that was the home team? Using a silent count? Because of the noise from fans rallying behind their defense?

"Uh huh," said Pete Kendall, who said that had happened to him elsewhere but admitted he was a tad surprised last night. "I mean, that's not the reputation or the expectation I had of the fans here," he said, "but who am I to begrudge somebody from making a profit by selling their tickets? I'm playing for money, and they're watching, and it's their right to do what they want with their tickets."

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

It is sad, but Steeler fans making noise at an opposing stadium is hardly limited to FedEx. There are just too many Steeler fans in the world and they apparently have a lot of disposable income. A few years ago the Colts pleaded with fans not to sell their tickets for a playoff game with the Steelers (didn't work) the 2005 Super Bowl was effectively a Steeler home game, etc., etc.

Posted by: Ehren | November 4, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I think Cindy wrote that MrRedskin

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

I agree, its truely a disgrace.. I wish revoke the tickets from these fake fans. All you have to do is go online and see what sections/seats are selling them and trace them to your database... If PA people that work in mines can afford to comed down and buy tickets DC area people can too.. pathetic all you did sold you tickets to opposing fans..

Posted by: rdscnz | November 4, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

JM, you seem really bitter these days.

The relevant point is that the HOME team was forced to go silent count in that game. It would be worth asking the Steelers if they had to as well at times, but I think you know the answer.

It's a legitimate question to ask why FedEx isn't really rocking right now with a new coach and a 6-2 team going into last night. If it were my time I'd be trying to figure out how to pawn stuff to go to a game like that - at least before I saw how it unfolded, anyway.

JLaC is probably being a bit snippy mentioning the "100,000-person waiting list" but I think everyone knows that's totally fictitious now, don't they?

The essence - for me at least - of this post is that the Steelers fans seeming to 'take over' FedEx was symptomatic of the whole game. The Steelers team played like they were at home too. With the exception of them gifting you guys a 6-point head start, they pretty much had their way with your offense and eventually wore down the defense too.

And by the way, if the Steelers really had 30% of the people in the stadium, why wasn't the remaining 70% still WAY louder?

Posted by: Redcoat | November 4, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

how many diehard skins fans in this town are not filling up those seats because we CAN'T AFFORD the tickets. highest prices in the league, parking is ridiculous.

that said, steelers fans travel more than any fans in the league and pittsburgh is not all that far away.

Posted by: alyce_b | November 4, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

OK I guess we can agree to disagree....I think when you are going to silent snap counts in a home game, and getting the opposite affect from your crowd at times when the skins needed to get some momentum....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 10:48 AM

TK actually talked this up of how Pengiun Fans OWNED the Cap Centre.

Steeler fans are everywhere in the state of Maryland which is right next to Pennsylvania for those who haven't recieved any *Maps* yet.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 4, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I wish whoever that player was would state it on the record.

Maybe it's never a good idea to pick a fight with the fans, but in this case, chrislarry is right: That was a pathetic display last night.

I think the players should say, "Look, we're playing as hard as we can, the least you guys (the fans) can do is hold up your end. Give away/sell the tickets if you have to, but try and make sure they go to family/friends who you KNOW are Redskins fans and are going to make noise for OUR team, not the opposition."

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Also, I doubt this would happen in a playoff game for various reasons.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 4, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Look....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 4, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

THANK YOU !!! THANK YOU !!! THANK YOU !!! I live here in Dallas and have been to 6 Skins/Cowboy games...Stub Hub...ticket brokers...holy cow..this is not rocket science.

** Did the Steeler fans make Carlos drop that pick six??

** Did the Steeers fans effect the protection on the blocked punt??

** Did the Steelers fans prevent us from getting the ground game going??

** Did the Steelers fans help Leftwich complete the 50yd pass to Washington??

NO...we got beat...and down right punked...guess what?? There are more teams that play this physical left on our schedule.

We got to match the intensity.

Posted by: cej75024 | November 4, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Went to the game last night, as I was walking up to the stadium it literally felt like I was going to a visiting teams stadium. Kind of uncomfortable, walking around the lower bowl before going to my seat was even worse.

That is f-ing sad, but I think the fact that it was Monday night made it worse. If it's a Sunday game, I don't think that many Skins fans sell their tickets.

Posted by: joeblazin | November 4, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

who was at the game, and what team they cheered for, I am not that interested in, speaking frankly...

Getting better pass protection, getting more pressure on the qb, creating more rushing lanes, reducing Portis's work load, involving Rock, Davis, and Thomas more in the offense.

Those are things I'm interested in.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 4, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I am in that list. I would go to games if they were closer to downtown, where people go to live, and not in the burbs where people go to die. And if they had cheep tickets.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm one of those fans who never uses my tickets anymore.

Convenience is part of it (the only flight out of DC that will get me back to the left coast in time for work on Monday is a 6:30pm out of National, which is a pretty difficult flight to make from a game that ends at 4:30ish with that traffic). And, flying these days sucks.

But the biggest reason I don't go to games is that the experience at FedEx is terrible. The drunk, obnoxious fans are just way too much to bear. To be certain, this is a problem with all NFL stadiums, which is why I rarely even use my Seahawks tickets.

Posted by: PDiddy | November 4, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"an utter disgrace....a dark day for Skins Nation. Pathetic"

And the fan situation was insult to injury. Somebody needs to do a little investigation on that. Skins nation needs a scolding for it. That should never happen.

Posted by: gibby72 | November 4, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I put the Steeler fan percentage at around 20%. The fact that they have those yellow towels and swing them around make it look like there are more people than there are. I had heard that this was anticipated and that the skins might hand out maroon towels to counter, but I guess that didn't happen. I think this happens for a number of reasons:

- A heck of a lot of Pittsburgh fans don't live in Pittsburgh anymore because there are no jobs there. A lot live in our area. So they don't have Steelers season tickets and so when a game is here they are willing to pay a premium a couple of times a decade to go to the game.

- This is a product of the price of tickets in general. Many season ticket holders pay for tickets knowing they can't really afford the entire season and will have to sell a few games. With the ticket selling market mostly online you don't know who you are selling too. In this case the transplanted Steeler fans living in the area (and some that traveled) were the higher bidders it looks like.

Let's not get crazy though and recognize that there will still a lot of us Redskins fans there are we cheered loudly hoping for a better outcome. Zorn could have quieted those towels and ignited the home crowd by showing some confidence in the offense and going for a couple of 4th and inches in the first quarter, but chose against that. I wish we had played better, but time to rest up and get ready for Dallas week.

Posted by: jogill | November 4, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

How many games have you been to where that many of the opposing team's fans are there? I can't think of one. Not only were they there, but they were obnoxious and treated our stadium as if it was their own.
I don't mind the other teams being represented in the fan base, but I do mind when the Redskin fans are a minority in their own section and the other team's fans are swinging towels in our faces and bastardizing our "Hail to the Redskins". Do you think our fans would travel in the thousands to Pittsburgh (not that 10,000 tickets would even be available for a Steelers game)? I doubt it since they can't even show-up to use their own tickets. It's a sad statement about the fans and the greed. I watched stubhub because I have friends who wanted to go, but don't have season tickets, and stubhub went from around 1200 tickets for sale last Wednesday, to 48 tickets at noon yesterday. Nevermind all the tickets that were sold on e-bay and craigslist. I get it that some people are having hard times and need to sell their tickets. I just find it hard to believe that was the reason for the entire 10,000 sales. We even have a great team this year and people still sold their tickets rather than coming.

Posted by: RedskinsGirl1 | November 4, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I did however see a lot of local Steeler fans. I saw MANY cars with MD & VA plates with Steeler flags and plate holders. But I did see a lot of RV's and Buses in the Parking lot from Pittsburgh.

Posted by: joeblazin | November 4, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

MrRedskins21, Samuels aND Kendall are on record....

Thank 4th I know the map....

I don't disagree with you beantown, X and O win games. But I had a very negative viseral reaction to that seen, and don't like it. I can accept a butt kicking on the field (its sports it happens) than I can having our Mojo tarnished like that. Obviously by wed/thur I will be over it, but now I am pissed.

Would you rather me screaming about dumping JC, the draft or the antonio pierce debacle?

Thanks Joeblazin, I think your perspective is what we need to hear.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

we skins fans actually surprised by the steeler turn out, no! the problem with this team is that tix are too expensive and those who would go to every game can't afford it, and those have season tix know there is a market on stubhub for 200% over face . . . it's ridiculous and it starts with the owner/NFL . . . on top, it's the worst stadium in the league, i love the skins but i hate the travel (it's taken me 3+ hours to get home a few times) . . . why would i pay 200 for nose bleed seats and spend 6 hours to get to and from the game? Move back to DC and stop this thievery from sites like stubhub . . .

Posted by: waltrkm | November 4, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

The NFL came of age in the 70s. The Steelers, Cowboys, and Dolphins were dominant in that time. The Steelers and Cowboys fielded good teams more or less consistently since then. Ergo, there are lots of Steelers and Cowboys fans across the country. Many of the Steelers fans I know have never been to Pittsburgh.

The Steelers have the most fervent fan base in the League. Admit it, move on.

In my 20 years of watching pro football, I've never seen a fan drop an interception, get called for holding, miss a blitz pickup, or fail to convert a third down. If you want to find fault with the 'Skins play, that's where it was. Not in the lower bowl of a cheap stadium with overpriced concessions in the middle of nowhere.

Posted by: PDiddy | November 4, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

++BTW, Steelers fans travel very, very well. What you saw at FedEx last night is true for pretty much every Steelers game anywhere. Redskins fans shouldn't take it personally.

Posted by: PDiddy | November 4, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse ++

This same debate was topic#1 here in TExas when the Steelers played in Dallas a few yrs ago. All the talk stations cried and moaned about this same thing.

Face it , floks. Pittsburgh is one of the top freanchises in this league. Like Diddy said, they travel well and have a very loyal fan base. In addition, fans think it is cool to like Pittsburgh (much like fair weather Cowboy fans)

Relax...it happens everywhere...lets focus on getting this team right.

Posted by: cej75024 | November 4, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

*maps* comment was generally speaking Cl, not towards you....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 4, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I am amazed how much a skins loss effects my mood. Right now I just want to crawl into a hole for a week.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

If Snyder really wants championships - and I believe he does - he should think about renovating RFK and moving back there.

Yes, it has less seats, but the atmosphere is way better. And anyway, doesn't the bulk of revenue for NFL teams come from TV contracts and apparel? Not from 8 home games a year?

Prolly never happen, but it's nice to dream about it today.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

All season-ticket holders who sold their tickets to Steelers fans should have their right immediately revoked. I've never seen an NFL game where so many fans of the visiting team were in the stadium. That was a disgrace!! But we will be back!! HTTR!!!

Posted by: paulstutz14 | November 4, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

They have a lease with the state of Maryland they can not just up and move even if they wanted to.

I have allot of friends who are Steelers fans and they do not even know were Pittsburgh is.

The problems last night were on the field not in the stands, this is a free country people can do what ever they want with there tickets.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 4, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Pualstutz,

I have seen worse believe it or not. The game they had in San Diego, I think last year. It looked like it was in Pittsburgh, a wave of yellow towels, more then FedEx. That was the worst I've ever seen.

Posted by: joeblazin | November 4, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

You know what's pathetic "one veteran player"? Scoring 6 points at home. 6 points. Steeler Nation was not louder than us, that's BS. It's just they were loud indeed because so many of them were there. There was nothing Redskin Nation could do. It's MNF. In order words, a Monday night. It's a 90,000 seat stadium. What do you expect? A stadium our size, there's room for everyone. I saw standing room only along the top of every section, just like at the Cowboys game in '05.

Is anyone else replacing their toilet paper with terrible towels from now on? I know I am.

Posted by: Gfunk | November 4, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

IT's NOt a big deal guys...This is being blown up for no reason.

FACT: Steelers fans do this to all stadiums... I have a friend thats a steelers fan...and Steel fans travel all over the place...It was more because they are so close to fed ex....My friend tells me every away game he goes to the Steel fan is everywhere....

I live in Florida and I have been to a Jags game and Bucs game. Skins fans dominate the Bucs stadium when we play here. They also had tons at the Jags game.

Posted by: leevi98 | November 4, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Another note....Our fans were quiet because we were getting our butts kicked....They were winning so they were yelling and were louder.....Watching the game on tv...The Skins fans were loud as hell in the first Qt...then went silent the rest of the game...The team has to get the crowd going...plain and simple....

Posted by: leevi98 | November 4, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout this little tidbit from ESPN?

For the first time in 22 years, the Redskins failed to score a touchdown and gave up seven sacks in a game. According to Elias Sports Bureau, it last happened in October 1985, when the Giants beat the Redskins, 17-3, and sacked Joe Theismann seven times

Posted by: captjim | November 4, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Season ticket holders didn't want to come out and thus decided to make a quick buck, end of story.

Posted by: Jotas | November 4, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night and, as pi**ed as I was about all of the Steelers fans, I wondered why Skins fans were selling their tix. Then, we got to point of leaving the parking lot which, I kid you not, took 1 1/2 hours. Add to that that the stadium is pathetic and inconvenient for most fans, I can understand why fans may have decided to sell their tickets. Snyder needs to bring the team back to DC, near a few Metro stops (I might know a good spot were the Redskins had some success).

The whole noise thing, to me, is just an excuse. Outside of the last 4-5 minutes of the game (after it was out of reach) there were only a hand full of plays were the Steelers fans got loud enough to effect the offense. Also, the Redskins fans were louder, when there was something to cheer about. If you saw the game last night, you understand that was for about the first quarter.

The Redskins got their butt whipped, plain and simple.

Just me bi**hing; While it probably didn't make a huge difference at that point, Zorn's play-action at the one-yard line was a very stupid play. You need three scores and, if he didn't want to run, he should have kicked the field goal.

Posted by: BT23 | November 4, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

First of all, LaCanfora is a dwebe who has a clear anti-Redskins agenda, as does the Post in general. Yes, there were Pissburgh fans there but not near as many as people like LaCanfora is claiming. They WERE loud and the reason is that THEY HAD SOMETHING TO CHEER ABOUT. It it is a simple as that. And for LaCanfora and his slimeball senior partner Wilbon to use this to trash Redskins fans is inexcusable.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 4, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

The real secret to Steeler Fans isn't that we travel well, it's that we are already there. Our family like many others moved out of the Burgh in 1977 and have been in DC ever since. When we left we brought two things with us, a hard working attitude and our Terrible Towels. For our part we had three generations of Stillers Fans at the game last night and all of them were home before midnight. When you get one game every few years, you can guarantee we will show up and be loud. Btw... I got my tickets from my neighbor. Hate to say it but There is no vast Redskins ticket conspiracy.

Posted by: steelarch | November 4, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Steelarch: your neighbor is a dirtbag. Tell him I said that.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 4, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Let me sum up the ticket problem. I have a little inside info on this type of situation. I live in Baltimore and happen to hear of a story about a stubhub type company. I've been a life long skins fan due to being born the week after the colts left and my burgandy and gold runs to deep to route for the purple browns. Nevertheless, ascticket a stubhub type company has a partnership with the ravens just like stubhub does with the skins. They recently tried to convince legislators to make their ridicolus way of getting tickets and over charging people legal. Belive it or not they have dummy accounts that signup for wait list, call immediately when tickets are returned from opposing team etc... Thats problem number one. Problem number two is not utilizing the wait list to make a cheap buck. If we have 100,000 plus on the wait list why not charge those individuals face value on those return ticket emails we get everyweek? Earlier in the season they were doing that and I brought tickets. I love the redskins dearly but in these economic times I refuse to pay 400 dollars for a lower level endzone seat that I got for 100 earlier this year. Problem 3 is the corporate asses who have tickets and give them away to either snobby skins fans, opposing team fans or anybody. And if they dont do that they sell the tix on ebay, razorgator,stubhub or whereever. At the browns game there were two cowboys fans infront of me. Come on! Lastly we live in area where there are alot of bandwagon fans, steelers and cowgirls are the most noticeable. Danny boy if you wanna charge steelers fans cowboys fans etc... triple price I could care less but don't punish us redskins faithful.

Posted by: bza48842002 | November 4, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I live in Virginia and left for the 8:30pm game at about 5:15pm. The beltway was backed up from the mixing bowl to the Woodrow Wilson bridge, which I reached at about 7:05pm. After the game, it took over an hour to get out of the FedEx parking lot, and I got home at about 1:40am, which was actually earlier than the 2:00am I was expecting.
I took off work on Tuesday essentially to be able to go to the Redskins game, because I knew what was going to happen. Most other fans, understandably, aren't able, or willing, to do so. For even the best of fans, there is a limit to what they are willing to do go watch their team. Traffic is a nightmare that we begrudgingly put with for Sunday afternoon games, but for night games, most people with jobs just can't or won't.

Posted by: skinz_man | November 5, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to 'Skins fans who scalped their tickets for sizable profits. It was funny knowing Danny Boy was cringing at the sight of those Terrible Towels.

Posted by: soulmeld | November 5, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"The reason for so many Steelers fans is simple. Unlike Pittsburgh, people who live around here actually have jobs. Because traffic is such a nightmare around here, Monday Night games, and Sunday Night games for that matter, mean that fans can't possibly go to the game and then get to work on time the next morning."

This is a bit offensive don't you think? I'm a life long Steelers fan and I also hold a job, $200K plus a year. To lump a fan base in a negative light is ignorant and shallow.

I not only took Monday off but Tuesday as well in anticipation of a long night. When two storied teams are playing on Monday Night Football, in the nation's capitol, on the eve of the Presidential election, you had to expect a pretty large turn out.

By the way, in my 38 years of rooting for the Steelers, I have been to many other stadiums and have never been treated as poorly as I was at Fed-Ex Field. It didn't really bother me, but when grown individuals are telling my wife, both my 8 & 10 year old sons they "suck" just because they root for the visiting team, that's pretty shameful.

What ever happened to being a good sport. I guess as long as the fans who come to the game to get drunk and ruin it for everyone else are allowed to, you can expect season ticket holders to continue unloading their tickets.

Why put up with this type of atmosphere?

Posted by: stillerfan | November 5, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse