Steinberg, on Haynesworth, Hall...and Much More

Over at the Bog, Dan Steinberg has been busy noticing stuff, particularly concerning stuffed shirt Tom Coughlin. Steinz noticed that Bob Glauber of Newsday interviewed Albert Haynesworth the other day about a couple of flirtations he had with the New York Giants and Coughlin. The words "notorious" and "taskmaster" come to mind with Coughlin. Of course, I'm sure you have others, but think of Jack's kids and remember that this is a family blog. Admittedly, the Addams family, but still...

Steinberg also noticed that DeAngelo Hall, in an appearance with Colin Cowherd the other day, is just happy to be here -- and not in Oakland.

When Steinz isn't busying noticing, he's wondering and, at the moment, he's wondering why there's a Redskins jersey with the name "Vick" on it in the NFL shop.

Lastly, Fred Smoot says Redskins fans should not worry about the offensive line. And so it shall be.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 12, 2009; 3:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mitchell Takes Relaxed Approach to NFL
Next: Band of 4 Will Handle Punt Returns

Comments

first?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 12, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Smootamazillie. Championship!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

firdond?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

F tom coughlin

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 12, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I just ordered my Redskins Vick jersey from nflshop. First 100 orders get a free Darryl Gardner bobblehead doll and an Adam Archuleta workout tape.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 12, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Smoot. ok. I want you to be right on this, I do.

Posted by: pgugino | August 12, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Smoot laid it all out...great stuff. He is money for quotes.

Posted by: McMetal | August 12, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

FANTASY F'ING FOOTBALL

Hey, folks, I set up a fantasy league for us Redskins Insider types, and by that I mean everybody and anybody is welcome to play.

It's free, it's fun, it's on espn, it's inherently stupid, and no money is at stake, just bragging rights.

Drop me a line -- come on now, you know you want to play -- at nateinthepdx at gmail to let me know you're interested.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 12, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Philadelphia Eagles offensive lineman Todd Herremans could miss the rest of the preseason with a foot injury.

Coach Andy Reid says the starting left guard has a stress reaction in a bone in his foot just above the arch.

****************

Another one bites the dust (sort of) ... another place for Kendall to land.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Of course Smoot isn't worried bout the Uhh-Ohh Line! He doesn't have Tuck, Osi, and Ware knocking the p!ss out of him every other week.

Sorry Smoot, still worried. Actaully, I take that back, I'm not worried. I worried last year. This year, it's basically a guarantee that the line will crumble, so why even bother worrying?

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | August 12, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, please make the next poll a question of which shade of red people think tom coughlin’s face will be at the presser after the Skins kick the sjk out of the giants in week 1.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 12, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Darryl Gardner played lights out for us that year. He didn't melt down til after he left the Skins. He was the Anti-Arch.

Posted by: McMetal | August 12, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

ken, thats some funny stuff right there....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

If I act now do also get the Brandon Lloyd action figure and Durant Brooks cleats?

Posted by: pgugino | August 12, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Nate -- any truth to a 23 round draft? Yikes

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I recall a Darryl Gardner post-game interview -- as he was walking off the field -- where he said, "We're going to be great next year." Problem was it was the first game of the year.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 12, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Just FYI, here's a link to a more formal stat analysis of offensive line performance. Interesting to note that in their adjusted numbers, the Skins ranked 5th in the NFL in run blocking (just behind the NYG), and 15th in pass blocking...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Let the conspiracy end....

Vick to the skins.
Collins cut.
NFL Shop has his # as 00 because he can't use #7.

Also, he will be signed before the 60 minutes interview is aired.....

Sincerly,

Infamous Cl predictions.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

Posted by: pgugino

And if you order in the next 5 minutes, you get the Al Noga swimsuit poster -- a $19.99 value -- absolutely free.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 12, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

just goes to show how stats don't tell the story

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

zeke, let me just say I was so concerned with getting a good draft date/time that I wasn't too worried about the roster size... and in my defense, the espn site was behaving badly when I was tweaking those roster numbers/maximums, and I couldn't get things just right.

I may dial back the roster size before the draft if I can... and regardless, I think fantasy drafts are too long anyway. Eventually they'll be spread across multiple days, like the real draft.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 12, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

And throw the 'JC17' and Vick share the same agent deal out the door, which I was advocating origianlly...

Sanchez and Kellens share the same agent.

See, even though they share the same agent, there is a pecking order of importance amongst his many many clients. And he has many....

I say Campbell ranks in the middle of all his players, so that's not very high. Vick on the other hand is on the tippy top of Segal's clientle list....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"just goes to show how stats don't tell the story
Posted by: zcezcest1"

LOL -- or at least not the story you want to hear.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

yes, please sign vick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! our QB is poop.

beantowngreg=larry michael=dick chaney=karl rove=dubya

Posted by: dealer1 | August 12, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz

Hmmmm, do choose this or the Sham Wow? Tough decision. I do remember some funny Daryl Gardener quotes, too, by the way. There was one Post article at the end of the 2002 season where Gardener said, "Yeah, I know I'll be back next year. I know it." And thus ended his brief stint with us.

Posted by: pgugino | August 12, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"just goes to show how stats don't tell the story
Posted by: zcezcest1"

LOL -- or at least not the story you want to hear.

Posted by: Samson151

you might have a point there ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Vick may be coming to the Skins! A jersey with Vick's name on it should be an indication. Welcome wildcat!

Posted by: abxinc | August 12, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I honestly believe there are four teams pursuing Vick: Redskins, Steelers, Patriots, and Colts.

could nflshop.com been hacked? are there any other teams that have the Vick jersey?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I think the real issue with large rosters is that you can't scurry for free agents with injuries. If you add all the starters at QB+RB+WR+TE, you get 32x6 or just under 200 guys. But 23 rounds in a 16 team league is over 360 spots!! Not to put too fine a point on it, but people will be drafting guys like Rock Cartwright and Malcolm Kelly by round 19. And that is just a waste of time. 15-16 rounds makes more sense

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Nate- Holler at me with the fantasy details. Oh, and up here, it's "irregardless"

Posted by: 4-12 | August 12, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

wow...just wow....both the Pats and Redskins have come out and stated they are not going to sign Vick.

Given his time off, time away from the game, wouldn't it be prudent to get him into camp, into a training program, studying the playbook, wouldn't that make sense EARLIER rather than LATER.....

I don't get it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

PETA beware, you will meet stern resistance from southeast Jerome. We care more about human rights than animal rights in DC
The man has done his time, leave him alone, and if you insist on being an ass, then let the protest begin. We, the human lovers, will fight you dog lovers by any means necessary.

Posted by: abxinc | August 12, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Let me start by saying that the Redskins have not built up a lot of "benefit of the doubt" over the years and until they win they will continue to be ripped...

BUT

I like what they have done on defense. As fans, we whined about how they haven't addressed the defensive line, no pass rush, etc. They significantly improved their defense (on paper) this offseason. We are deep along the D-line with both young and experienced backups.

I try to stay "medium" with Redskins criticism, but to me, the keys to success to this team is the WR play and the play of JC. The offensive line is what it is and Russ Grimm is not walking through that door. This team has to score points. My gut tells me that Campbell could be good with all the things fans have been complaining about (O-line, WR, etc.), but I'm not convinced he can be. I hope he is because he has the tools. I may be in the minority but I was not that ticked off that they looked at other QB's.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 12, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The Eagles have been consistent contenders I grant you that, but I think they get WAY to much benefit of the doubt. They have never won a Super Bowl, and people continue to talk about how they are favored to win the NFC East.

I guess they have all that "depth" at O-line and Linebacker.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 12, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but the Eagles have won 4 Grammy awards, which should count for something

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 12, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and up here, it's "irregardless"

Posted by: 4-12 | August 12, 2009 4:40 PM

Glad someone has been catching on.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

The Eagles now have 3 OLineman out. Where have the Philly will be Champs gone??

Learned??

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Danny's random thoughts on Vick:

Vick puts butts in seats.
Vick sells jerseys.
Vick has played in the WCO.
Vick can make up for a leaky O-line.
Vick is Wildcat-o-licious.

I, for one, am not a fan of picking up the dude, but hey what the hell. I hear he's willing to sign a 2 year deal for dirt cheap. Sign him, have JC17 start the season while Vick serves his suspension. If JC17 has a breakout season, we keep Vick on the bench and break him out for some sweet Wildcat action. At the end of the year, we either let JC17 go or tag him. Either way, we have a MICHAEL VICK waiting in the wings as an insurance policy. Trust me, guys. It'll be money.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 12, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 4:36 PM

Red, forget about Steelers, Patriots, and Colts. What Snider wants, Snider gets regardless of.........

Posted by: abxinc | August 12, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Sorry,I mean Snyder.

Posted by: abxinc | August 12, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

The killer is how you have the roster limitations set up. I played in a league where you started 2 QBs and retained 4 on your roster. In a 12 man league!

Obviously there are only 32 possible starters, so at least 4 people had to draft 2nd stringers for backups (3rd roster spot). Then somebody like myself sees Tom Brady go down, and my backup isn't even on the field. I played a man short all season, just because of the stupid roster rules.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to get me a Ron Mexico Skins Jersey.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 12, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Admittedly, the Addams family, but still...

LMAO That we are Cyn

Posted by: jm220 | August 12, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I would consider cutting Kelly or Thomas and send a message if they don't get on the field and produce this pre-season, but that is just me.

Posted by: BarackObama | August 12, 2009 3:28 PM

I think putting either on the PUP list or IR would have the same effect ("Get up and rub some dirt on it, you [SJK]ssies.").

UNregardless, I hope, just hope, that we get to the point having to have a legitimate discussion about whether they should keep six WRs. [Maybe Devin Thomas just ends up mostly returning kicks. That would keep his legs fresh.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BarackObama

I would consider euthanizing one or both of them.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 12, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge

They've improved the defense, but not by a lot. Significant talent left the building ... Springs, Taylor, Washington and Evans. Though I'm miffed on why Evans was let go, its clear the other 3 guys, while talented, were paid a lot while being hurt too often.

Smoot fills Springs shoes, Daniels and tbd fills Evans and Taylor's shoes. Orakpo fills Marcus's shoes. Unless Orakpo is an instant hit, we'll be modestly less talented at those spots.

But ...

The big difference is Albert -- his entrance outweighs all the departures.

And, there are several young players with upside -- Barnes, Glenn, Henson, Tryon, Moore.

The defense should be very good and yes, you can win a lot of games with a great defense.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

4thfloor

I am in the deepest debt to you for the Pam Grier video.

One of the shots of her (the black n white pants suit photo, hair over her shoulders) was my wallpaper for about a year before mrsmoe told me to replace it.

Coincidentally, once I removed that wallpaper from my computer screen, mrsmoe remarked, "Hey, why did you move that jergens lotion from your computer area in the bedroom after I told you to get rid of the Pam Greir picture?"

"Let me guess," she said. "Your little floppy disk was ashy?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 12, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

bee p

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 12, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Geez, Moe - did we need to hear all that...?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 12, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

4th, I never said Philly would be champs. I said they were the team to beat in the division. It still has to play out.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 12, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

my favorite Mel Brooks moment is from History of the World. Not a great movie, but the scene where Moses comes down from the mountain with the 15 commandments -- that one moment is very funny.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 2:32 PM |

The all time classic cinematic moment has to be when Jim Carrey takes a crap on his annoying neighbor's lawn in "Me, Myself and Irene" and there is the instantaneous switchout to a softee dispenser.

Posted by: ArcticCat | August 12, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 12, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the Redskins would tag Campbell because he won't be a free agent. Because the league accelerated the CBA, free agency now requires six years in the league. There are also new rules governing when, and how much, the top teams can offer the FA's of other teams. Basically the CBA contains enough poison pills to make the concept of an uncapped year meaningless.

No matter how Campbell plays his options are going to be limited. Basically sign a one year deal with the Skins and hope a new CBA is signed before the lockout in 2011 or sign a one year deal with another (probably losing) team and hope a new CBA is signed before the lockout year in 2011.

Posted by: elkiii_2008 | August 12, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I must admit that i'm worried about the O-line but I'm also a Redskins fan who hasn't had alot to be optimistic about in the last 17 years or so. That being said, i think we could all be surprised by the O-Line this year. Think about it. We let Jansen go and Kendall go(both old and creaky i know but still) and didn't address the Line in the draft either. I know Dan Snyder isn't the greatest at talent evaluation but I have faith in Buges and if he didn't think we had the pieces you gotta think we would have added them by now. Just saying.

Posted by: scottmando | August 13, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

LAST!!! Take that Ken!!

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 13, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

LAST I heard, Mike Vick is still unsigned.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 13, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse