Step Right Up and Vote for the Top Coach

We continue to flashback -- and now you can to pick the best coach ever, across all sports, in D.C. Visit our D.C. Sports Lists page, where all week, we're running polls on the best and worst of Washington athletics through the years.

The current list/poll is "Who was/is D.C. greatest coach or manager?"

The lists and polls are based on a book by our own Leonard Shapiro and ESPN980's Andy Pollin -- The Great Book of Washington, D.C. Sports Lists. Lenny will be online today at 11 a.m. to chat about the lists.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 18, 2008; 9:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Running Back Game
Next: Pro Bowl Unrestricted...and a Chat

Comments

eh;

until we win consistently, everything can be second guessed.

JLA has points, but overreaches to make them.

He shouldnt call them equal, but should state that better GM's may have made more with less.

One thing you cant argue is that we are the best out of making nothing out of something.

Posted by: Zeebs | December 18, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | December 18, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

We are right on pace with where I thought we would be. I had us @ 7-9 or 8-8 at best.

New Coach...

New Offensive system...

Fixing our franchise is EASY.

1) Focus on Draft

2) Keep people around long enough to see them flourish

Posted by: jmicrodoc | December 18, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Silly list it's a 2 horse race between Wooten and Gibbs obviously. Of course Gibbs will win but the rest don't even belong on the list.

Posted by: Gweez | December 18, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I looked at this thing around 8 this morning and it already a landslide for Gibbs.
Wootten is a very distant second.

Oh and I voted for Gibbs.

JLC must be running out of material today.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 18, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

From last post:

"I'll take CP thanks. Not really sure what the point of this post was.

Posted by: Gweez"

"Just food for thought about the ways in which organizations assess talent and allocate resources."

Lesson #1 for Vinny. I'm glad he called this out.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | December 18, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Cl - you read it wrong or I wrote it wrong.

My attempt at a light joke/sarcasim..........

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 18, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

iTs not material , this post is straight cross promotion. Wich is fine, but thats what it is.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 18, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

in the interest of trying to keep things light and get away from the beacon of negativity that this place has become recently, anyone getting anything / asking for anything/giving anything good for the upcoming Holiday?

I'll start. Giving my 3 kids a Wii...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 18, 2008 9:40 AM |

My two girls are getting a Wii as well with the Fit and guitar hero.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

cool 4th, I figured.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 18, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Flound, we'll have to compare notes on which games our kids like.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 18, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Flound, we'll have to compare notes on which games our kids like.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 18, 2008 10:04 AM |

No problem I started them off with a few of the Mario games and I got the Bowling game, also something called Rayman Raving Rabbids which I here is a good game.

I just see major issues with the sharing, hope I'm wrong but will see.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

from last post...

Greg, I also got a Wii for my daughter (she's 21).

Digital Camera for my wife. Want to include Photo Shop as well, but not sure if there is something better. Any help from the hamsters is appreciated.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 18, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"When you make assembling a dominant offensive line a priority, you don't need Clinton Portis to put up Portis-esque numbers."

Ps, I not sure what you're talking about. CP was putting up CP-like numbers because the line was healthy.

You make it sound like leading the league in rushing is a bad thing.

CP is not the problem, was he paid too much, yeah OK. But injuries aside, he's been a pretty good back.

Like I said before Canfora was reaching on that post.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 18, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? Bruce Boudreau isn't on that list? He's easily the best coach this area has seen since Gibbs I, and isn't even included.

Posted by: Semvechkin | December 18, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse