Posted at 4:09 PM ET, 11/22/2010

Injuries will mean practice adjustments

By Jason Reid

Update: 6:55 p.m.: The Redskins said center Casey Rabach suffered a torn medial collateral ligament in his right knee, not a second-degree meniscus tear, as coach Mike Shanahan said earlier in the day. Rabach's status for Sunday's game is unclear.

With so many players sidelined or slowed by injuries, the Redskins plan to adjust their practice schedule as they prepare to face the Minnesota Vikings at FedEx Field, Coach Mike Shanahan said Monday.

"There's a lot of different directions you could go," Shanahan said while addressing reporters in the auditorium at Redskins Park. "You can't go full speed as much as you normally did.

"You just try to get quality reps, [but] probably not as many because you don't have the same numbers on the scout team. But you can still get all the work done."

Washington's offensive line, already in flux with four new starters from last season, was hit hardest during Sunday's 19-16 overtime victory against the Tennessee Titans. Center Casey Rabach, the line's leader and a co-captain on offense, suffered a knee injury in the first quarter and did not return.

On Monday, Shanahan revealed that Rabach suffered a "second-degree meniscus tear." Rabach's status for Sunday's game is unclear, Shanahan said, and the potential for arthroscopic surgery has not been ruled out.

Little-used guard Derrick Dockery also suffered a knee injury and "is sore right now," Shanahan said. "He's optimistic, [but] he probably won't be able to practice for a couple of days at least. We'll have to wait and see."

If the Redskins had lost another offensive lineman during the game, rookie tight end Logan Paulsen was on deck as the coaching staff's next emergency option, Shanahan said. Moving forward in practice this week, tackle Stephon Heyer could have an expanded role.

Heyer earned Shanahan's praise for his performance playing guard for the first time at any level of football.

The four-year veteran "stepped in yesterday and did a great job, especially never practicing at that position before," Shanahan said. "Very smart. Very aware of the different positions on the offensive line, which enabled him to go in there and at least know the assignments and play at a very high level. I was very proud with the way he played."

The Redskins hope to learn more about the status of Rabach and Dockery in the next few days. But if Dockery is sidelined this week, Heyer may be an option at guard again against the Vikings.

Before making any decisions, Shanahan said he hopes to "kind of get a feel during the week what's the best combination for us, you know, entering the game. Who's healthy? Who gives us the best chance to win? And I won't be able to tell you that until we start practicing."

How far will Graham Gano go in the NFL? Is he destined to be "one of the good ones," as holder Hunter Smith says? Let us know your opinion in the Redskins Tailgate Zone.

By Jason Reid  | November 22, 2010; 4:09 PM ET
Categories:  Stephon Heyer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chad Simpson, Anderson Russell to IR
Next: Redskins catching Vikings at the right time?

Comments

And he won't tell us even when he knows.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 22, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I know this has nothing to do with this season but has anyone heard any Malcolm Kelly updates of any kind recently? Is he spending time with the team?

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | November 22, 2010 4:04 PM |

It's positioned so he will get one last chance when he is healthy. It's a chance that has about a 5%-10% success rate, mebbe a little higher if he does serious rehab. In the totality of problems the Skins have and possible solutions this guy is just barely visible and you need a night scope to pick anything up.

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

When I saw Rocky52 go down and then he was on the stationary bike I thought for sure that he hurt his conditioning

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 22, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

that disgraceful mess is leading me to never watch another NFL game.... I Quit..

Posted by: doyouktt | November 22, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Barno presents...Real Men of Genius

Today we salute you, Mr. I-Don't-Enjoy-It-When-My-Team-Wins-Guy. (Mr. I-Don't-Enjoy-It-When-My-Team-Winssss-Guy!) Unlike most fans, you know that a win is not a win, unless it's by 65 points or more. While everyone around you is celebrating, you know that your team isn't winning the next 5 championships, so what's the point of even getting excited (Oh I hate my life!). So get on the blogs and demand new coaches and players after every win, and drink up an ice cold bud light as we salute you....Mr. I-Don't-Enjoy-It-When-My-Team-Wins-Guy.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 22, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I keep hearing how there is a hesitancy to play Banks more for fear of him getting hurt.

Let's see, we are 5-5. What exactly are we saving him for?

I'm not even being sarcastic.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Mr. I-Don't-Enjoy-It-When-My-Team-Wins-Guy.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 22, 2010 4:25 PM

Nice work, Barno. LOL.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 22, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doyouktt | November 22, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Barno presents...Real Men of Genius

Posted by: Barno1 | November 22, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

F_cking Awesome!

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 22, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Vikings game scares me even more, now that Childress is gone...

Posted by: WRBD | November 22, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Hurt??? I think it's the fear of him getting killed...

Posted by: oh_boy1 | November 22, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Let's see, we are 5-5. What exactly are we saving him for?

I'm not even being sarcastic.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 22, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Saving him for now. Meaning this 5-1 streak we're about to rip off.

PLAYOFFS

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 22, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doyouktt | November 22, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Barno presents...Real Men of Genius

Posted by: Barno1 | November 22, 2010 4:25 PM

Well said.

Posted by: saltine182 | November 22, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Childress is officially a goner. No shock there. I just wonder how fired up the players are going to be this week, to come out and impress their new coach. Apparently a lot of them hated Childress.

Posted by: NYPDee | November 22, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Re-watching the condensed DirecTV "Shortcuts" version of the game while I eat lunch. On that 3rd & goal where we handed it to Sellers as the up-back, the designed play sent Williams to the right as if to take a pitch and run a sweep. Had we gone with that option, easy 6. The Titans sent everyone inside.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Glad we won't be seeing this guy when we go to NY.

From Schefter:
Not good for NYG RT @giantspathanlon: Hakeem Nicks undergoing procedure now to treat condition. Expected to miss approx 3 weeks.
6 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 22, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee | November 22, 2010 4:42 PM

I think that dead horse was beaten about 4 hours ago, but we can dig it back up and kick it in the azz.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 22, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee | November 22, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

We all know Favre has a chokehold on the Vikings. As long as he is the QB, we will stomp these guys out.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 22, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Winged Unicorns and allocates for Barno.
I must be trippin.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | November 22, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Barno presents...Real Men of Genius

Posted by: Barno1 | November 22, 2010 4:25 PM

I laughed at this. Well done.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doyouktt | November 22, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Barno presents...Real Men of Genius

Posted by: Barno1 | November 22, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse
----------------------

*holds up a bottle of Bud Light*

Posted by: walkdwalk | November 22, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Old Man Favre = minimum of 2 picks for D. Hall.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 22, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

If it were like you make it sound then the dude wouldn't be languishing on the PS, waiting for an injury opp. RB is one of the Skins weak spots. If you are a team like Indy that relies primarily on passing then having a weak running game isn't the burden it is for a team like the Skins who have only one legit WR and a shaky OL.

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 4:06 PM

Anthony Armstrong languished on the PS for a couple of years.

Also, this Shanahan zone blizzy offense goes through RBs like Lunch Lady Doris goes through nicotine patches. See Shanahans last years in Denver.

Posted by: dcsween | November 22, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

From Hogs Haven

Redskins Injury Report: Raback & Dockery Likely Done

Man...this things reads like a war report. Cook and Selvish Capers are likely getting promoted to the roster. They got shredded in pre-season, but that was many months ago, so hopefully they're improved.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

>>> This means they're breaking out the Wii in Ashburn.

Posted by: dcsween | November 22, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

im clearly no bandwagon jumper, I root for the Redskins, but that bud light analogy was genius haha

drink up rabach you're with us now

HAIL

Posted by: retroskins14 | November 22, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, watching the Skins this year is a lot more compelling than it was watching them last year.

Last year's team was both predictable and frustrating.

This year's team can be frustrating, but is completely unpredictable. I never saw them limitnig the Titans passing game with LL30 and CR22 out, nor limiting Chris Johnson the way they did. I really thought this might be a shootout.

This team excels at the low-scoring scrums.

I always feel like this team is either about to explode or implode, but it's definitely never boring!

Posted by: Alan4 | November 22, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 5:06 PM |

And them getting shredded would be a change from Raback getting shredded. I would rather have future players getting experience and struggling, rather then old players taking up playing time and struggling.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Agreed on the Barno post: best post I've seen in a long, long time here. Nice work, buddy.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | November 22, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

So in the comment to an earlier RI post Marko Mitchell's name was brought up. Looked it up and he's a FA. Anyone know why this guy's not playing? He may not be an elite receiver but didn't it seem like he was good enough to make a team somewhere in the NFL?

Posted by: fan-o-matic | November 22, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 5:10 PM

Agreed. Those were the words of Kevin Ewoldt.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fan-o-matic | November 22, 2010 5:15 PM

He was most recently cut from the Toronto Agronauts.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Anthony Armstrong languished on the PS for a couple of years.

Posted by: dcsween | November 22, 2010 5:04 PM |

Dude - you got through the "languished on the PS" part of my post but you didn't make it to the "only one legit WR" part later on.

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 22, 2010 4:46 PM |

I could have sworn that I heard Favre refer repeatedly to Childress as "Bart" instead of "Brad" in his presser after the Bears debacle. A sure sine the dud was doomed.

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Just heard on NFL Network -- Hakeem Nicks out at least 3 weeks for Gints with "compartment leg syndrome."

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

*RE-Posted for anyone who wants to know what the deal is w/James Davis and why he "languished on the PS."

I watch a lot of ACC football, and trust me this guy is legit.

He was a four-year starter at Clemson and he was on a pace to break the career rushing record there until injuries and offensive issues at Clemson derailed him his senior year.

By the way, all of his best plays in college came when he was running the stretch play. That is one of the reasons that he signed with the Skins when he had lots of other offers.

He is a downhill one cut type runner who has a power and explosive on-the-field speed even if not a great 40yd time.

Downside is this kid is a no wiggle to get away from backfield penetration and he is TERRIBLE in pass protection. If he does even a decent job handling his pass protection responsibilities, that is a huge credit to the coaches.

I'm really excited to see what he can do. In college, he was the "thunder" to Spiller's "lightning," here he could be the "lightning" to Torrain's "thunder."

Posted by: SportzWiz | November 22, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzWiz | November 22, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Re: Injuries

Looking ahead 2 weeks, the Skins just caught a break for the crucial divsion matchup v. GMen. Apparently Hakeem Nicks is suffering from compartment syndrome in his leg (rememeber the Jason Taylor injury?) and he'll miss 3 weeks.

Which means one less big-play stud WR to worry about in the secondary.

Re: Barno's Post

That was crap.

Just kidding, pretty funny. Much better than the usual stuff he throws on the wall around here.

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

RE-Posted for anyone who wants to know more about James Davis or why he "languished on the PS."

I watch a lot of ACC football, and trust me this guy is legit.

Posted by: SportzWiz | November 22, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I was irked about that play-call.

I just don't get the strategy involved in handing it to the up-back there.

If you are going for a quick-hit type of run and counting on the Oline to get a push, why not just go QB sneak? But the up-back has no space to get momentum and precious little time to read the blocks or cue off of a lead blocker (since there isn't one).

Not to mention that for all his girth and size, Mike Sellers has always stunk in short-yardage.

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

That was crap.

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 5:45 PM |

It was a crap sandwich.

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Another NFL Network update -- Just watched Lezlie Frazier say that Favre will start on Sunday.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 5:51 PM |

"Slo-Mo" Sellers stink? Dude, you have got to be kidding.

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Had we gone with that option, easy 6. The Titans sent everyone inside.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 4:44 PM |

Guess you have heard the often used cliche "guessed wrong". Hah!

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 5:06 PM |

hmmm....

Diesel - I don't remember them getting shredded in preseason, and I watched them pretty carefully. I can tell you that Cooke only got trucked into the backfield once that I remember. Other than that, I was pretty impressed by the way he held the line (granted - he was playing against scrubs, so I didn't make a big deal over it...). He didn't look very fast, but he did look strong.

The one main drawback I saw with both of them was "continuing to play". They both would hit the guy in front of them, hold the block for a couple of seconds and then walk in the direction of the action, instead of planting their guy and then finding someone else to hit.

Rookies...

I'm hoping a couple of months of playing pro ball has impressed upon them they you go hard until the whistle.

Sounds like we might get a look soon.

Posted by: edvar | November 22, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 4:44 PM

Yeah, that play call just about sent me over the edge...

Why do you run it up the middle and 3rd and goal with OUR offensive line? Especially when it's held together with duct tape and bubble gum like it was on Sunday.

I was hoping for something a bit more clever than that - being that we have a mobile QB and two dangerous weapons at TE.

Posted by: edvar | November 22, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I just saw Kyle Orton warming up in a tight t-shirt. The guy has the physique of Will Farrell. Moobs and a beer gut.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | November 22, 2010 6:19 PM

I should have made it more clear. Those were Kevin Ewoldt's words from Hogs Haven.

More times than not they beat RI by a couple of days with Skins related info. We'll probably hear about Rabach's and Doc's injuries on Wed.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 6:30 PM

And maybe the worst beard in the history of mankind.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 5:59 PM |

Another interim dude with a chance to be permanent. Jason Garrett seems to be doing pretty good with the Cows. Two wins with Kitty Kat since taking over, one against the Gaints in their place. Dude did a good job of undermining Phillips - remember the infamous dicey pass play he called that turned into an fumble/Skins TD at the end of the first half on opening weekend? Heh, heh. Of course Frazier didn't have to do no undermining. Favre/Chilly guaranteeded a fait accompli.

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 6:30 PM |

Since you seem to have MNF on hawk mode why not file a report on RI for us hamsters as to how our boy Brandon Lloyd did? One Skins ex-pat who appears to have made it big with another team. Another Skins ex-pat, Jason Campbell, had a rough time in Pitt yesterday, no?

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know for absolute certain that Adam Schefter & Suzy Kolber weren't separated at birth?

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Minny just got better. Chilly out is one step, the expectations are down is another step and Sidney Rice returning to form is the third step.

I think Favre goes into fun mode. No worries about downside, just have fun and let it fly.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 7:07 PM |

Does anyone know for absolute certain that you & Bridezilla weren't separated at birth?

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Reports that Skins will sign a safety.

Tyrone Carter?

Lendy Holmes?

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | November 22, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I am sure its been mentioned here. But what about bringing in Childress as a consultant, in a very limited capacity? 1 he knows that offence we are going to face. 2 he knows McNabb and could help Kyle and Donovan work together.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 22, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010 7:20 PM |

It also means that if the Skins had waited another week or so to re-up McN they probably could have done so for less. But it's Danny money so what's the diff, no?

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

2 he knows McNabb and could help Kyle and Donovan work together.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 22, 2010 7:28 PM |

Chilly mediating personal differences? Dude, that's a pretty pretty stinko of a brain fart, no?

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010 7:20 PM |

Posted by: TubularBells

not sure that made any difference. Chilly was on his way out anyway. Minny is still a choice for McNabb if the Skins want out.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 22, 2010 7:28 PM |

Once I stop laughing I will tell you why this ID is nuts>>>>>

10minutes later

Shanny is 100 times the coach that baldy is he needs no help, and as far as baldy knowing the offense I doubt it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Reports that Skins will sign a safety.

Tyrone Carter?

Lendy Holmes?

Posted by: p1funk

If only Leigh Torrence was available. Sigh. If only ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Reports that Skins will sign a safety.

Tyrone Carter?

Lendy Holmes?

Posted by: p1funk

Carter plays for the Chargers, but Holmes is still out there.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010 7:36 PM |

At the time they inked the deal it was far from certain what his fate was. It took debacles against the Bears and Packers to get him fired. A $30 M guaranatee prob would have sealed the deal if they had waited.

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 22, 2010 7:28 PM

You're the first and hopefully the only one. Terrible idea..

Donovan just needs to run the O more efficiently and their relationship will be fine.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 7:44 PM |

Well considering he didn't get a 30 mil guarantee I'm glad they signed him when they did.

The contract has been discussed many times, is 3.5 mil. guaranteed this year with an option for around 12.5 mil next year. They can cut him at the end of the year and owe him nothing sounds like a great deal to me.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

No word yet on whether the soon to be fired John Feinstein has called on the Tennessee Titans to fire head coach Jeff Fischer for racial coding in the aftermath of benching Vince Young yesterday.

Something tells me that since the Titans are not on his list of axes to grind, Jeff Fischer is therefore not a racial-coder in John Feinstein's eyes.

Oh by the way, anyone catch the soon to be fired Feinstein slip yet another exaggerated attack on the Redskins in his column today? Only Junior could somehow dig at the Redskins in a column about ACC attendance. Yeah, that guy hasn't lost it.

Counting the minutes til you're gone Junior.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 22, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 7:47 PM |

He seemed to have a good command of the 2 min O yesterday, didn't he? Once it became clear that Chilly was doomed and with the way Zona is in the tank, McN took a look at the highway and didn't like what he saw.

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TubularBells | November 22, 2010 7:54 PM

He did? We won and I'm ecstatic but he had an average game. He had 4 chances to win the game and it took 2 15 YD penalties to get into FG range.

He made some plays yesterday but he left WAY too many points on the field. He also made 3 plays a 12 YR vet can't make. 1. threw late over the middle for an INT. 2. Delay of game penalty. 3. On the scramble he threw an ill advised pass where the INT was dropped (we lose if the ball is caught).

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking if the Skins are even a bit slow in picking up McNabb's contract, he'll be in AZ. That team is a QB away from dominating that division. And if AZ doesn't get a QB, Larry Fitzgerald is probably gone, too.

If McNabb goes to AZ, he's close to a lock for the playoffs and he's got the most talented WR in football to throw to. Plus an RB (Hightower) who is pretty good at catching the ball. And he's got a home there already.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010 8:12 PM |

You should have read the post about the contrat.

The Redskins have the option until the first game of the regular season next year, so Mcnabb can't go anywhere until then.

The Skins can trade him if they want or wait and see how he does through training camp and then let him go.

My thought is that the Skins pick up the option because they have no better option, and Mcnabb can help them next year even if they get a young QB.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

ESPN just did a piece about "How do you stop Brandon Lloyd"....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh.......DAMN

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 22, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 8:01 PM |

You are like that "I'm never satisfied" jerk that a previous poster took to task. McNabb led the team from deep in their own territory to field goal range in less than a min 1/2 only to have the kicker miss as the game ended. I guess he just might know the 2 min drill. Then, in overtime, he did the exact same thing and this time the kicker made it. Crissakes buddy, get real. He is working behing a patchwork OL, with no runinng game to speak of and only one passable WR (Moss). Who wouldn't make "mistakes" in that kind of situation?

Posted by: SnakerJake | November 22, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I for one am not that worried about the Minnesota game. That team's a mess. They are playing on the road - and on grass. Farve has nothing left, and if the new coach decides to make a change, we have Tavaris Jackson waiting for us. How sweet is that!?!

We can take these guys.

Posted by: edvar | November 22, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas

Yeah, because what's he ever done?

Seriously, this old expression applies. "He's not as good as he once was, but he's as good once as he ever was."

He could go into the tank, or he could put it up for 400 yards.

But go ahead, underestimate him. That makes sense.

And 'skins are likely down two DBs and two starting LBs.

Posted by: TheCork | November 22, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SnakerJake | November 22, 2010 8:33 PM

Read it again and tell me where I'm wrong....

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Nice field. Tractor pull this weekend?

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

Lloyd looks unstoppable.

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 22, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010

C'mon my man. I get the feeling that even if we had Peyton or Brady you still wouldn't be satisfied.

McNabb has been what I thought he would be. The field leadership and pocket presence has dramatically improved. As a JC supporter, the improvement at QB has been better. When the line plays well, so does he.....

Posted by: dcwun | November 22, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 22, 2010 8:18 PM |

And who would that young QB be? There is only one QB in the upcoming draft worth taking in the 1st round, Andy Luck, and with zingos like Buff and Caro drafting ahead of the Skins and needing QBs there is not much chance they will get him.

Posted by: SnakerJake | November 22, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas

Agreed. Favre has had 2 good years in the last 8. The other years were average at best. I wonder what they would say about DM if he pulled that Favre crap? He is the reason why they are where they are.

I hope he does play because that would guarantee a win for us.

Posted by: dcwun | November 22, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas

Yeah, because what's he ever done?

He could go into the tank, or he could put it up for 400 yards.

But go ahead, underestimate him. That makes sense.

And 'skins are likely down two DBs and two starting LBs.

Posted by: TheCork | November 22, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

And Cris Carter could come out of retirement and burn us for 150 yards.

Better yet, Fran Tarkenton could play on Sunday and throw it all over the place.

Why stop there? John Randle could sack McNabb 5 times because he's as good once as he ever was.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 22, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 22, 2010

Lets ask ourselves, why would McNabb sign this deal. He knows he will be the free agent QB in the league next season. If this deal is everything the media is making it out to be, why?

This deal was done to protect both sides in case of a lockout. If there's no lockout, he'll see his 40 million or whatever it was. He will be in burgundy and gold for at least 3 years.

Posted by: dcwun | November 22, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 22, 2010 8:44 PM

We don't win yesterday w/o him. His leadership, character, & composure is second to none.

However, he's a 12 YR vet and his decision making, game management, & play has been frustrating. But I guess you would have to be objective to see that.

I'm not expecting him to walk on water but some of his mistakes are precisely the reason why the Eagles traded him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

With Jason "Cant Scramble" we have 2 wins, maybe. And one of those wins might have been the Lions. McNabb is a major upgrade on the 17 car. He has had no o-line, and no running game. He also has Wr's that ranked on the below average scale. With all that said he has been average. He has missed many throws and seems to lock in on his wr. He was late 2x on Sunday and that almost cost us. He missed 89 deep that was six. He throws a atleast 4 balls in the ground a game which gets frustrating. QB's are judged on TD's and if you look at the numbers and the pizza toppings, we don't get there much.

Quick note: Why do the Skins get screwed on lame duck coaches and other crap. St. Louis 2 years ago was awful, fire Lin-less and Haslett gets the Win. Giants owner dies, Giants behind Tki the cheater kills us. Why couldnt the Vikikngs waited one more week?

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 22, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Good lord, you have a WR throwing into Bailey coverage and then put groin-boy in for a 50 yarder. Gotta love that San Diego coaching.

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 22, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

This fellow must not watch much college football.

This draft will feature some very NFL ready college quarterbacks:

Andrew Luck

Ryan Mallett

Jake Locker

Rick Stanzi

Jeff Garcia

and there's (juniors)

Kellen Moore

Cam Cameron

Christian Ponder

And when you see Ryan Fitzpatrick and Troy Smith play in both Buffalo and San Fran, there really is not reason to say those teams will draft a young quarterback high.

The redskins might be able to take a lineman high, and find a nice young McNabb replacement.

We'll see.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | November 22, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

We'll see.
Posted by: gimmesummoe | November 22, 2010 9:38 PM

So who do we think is in the market for a QB?

-Seattle?
-Arizona?
-Jacksonville?
-Carolina?
-Miami? (as insurance)
-Minnesota?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Oakland?
Tennessee?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Cincy?

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 22, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

scamp-

Carolina drafted 3 QBs last year.

Clausen (2nd RD)- many up here wanted us to take him 4th overall.

Edwards (3rd RD) playing WR

Pike (6th RD) many up here wanted us to take him in the 2nd RD. Last week they choose to start Brian St. Pierre who was signed just a week ago over him.

There are 3 1st RD caliber QBS in this upcoming draft.

Luck- will be 1st overall pick
Mallett
Locker

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Luck- will be 1st overall pick
Mallett
Locker

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 10:11 PM |

Who's in the next level at the qb position, because using a 1st rounder on one should not be the direction the team goes. They need an Olineman or 3-4 OLB with pass rush abilities and decent athleticism.

Posted by: TWISI | November 22, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gimmesummoe | November 22, 2010 9:38 PM |

Your list needs work:

Andrew Luck

Ryan Mallett

Jake Locker

Rick Stanzi

Jeff Garcia - mebbe Stephen Garcia of SC? Jeff is a retired NFLer

and there's (juniors)

Kellen Moore

Cam Cameron - mebbe Cameron Newton of Aub? Cam Cameron is a coach with the Ravers.

Christian Ponder - He's a senior.

Even with the list upgrade I still stand by what I posted - that Andy Luck is the only QB 1st rounder and the Skins have little chance of getting him. Of the others, none seems to be the type that would appeal to the Shannys. Mebbe Jake Locker before he skidded this season. Just like Tim Tebow, Cameron Newton seems to be more of a NFL TE than a QB.

Posted by: SnakerJake | November 22, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Stanzi seems like a Shanny QB to me.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 22, 2010 10:17 PM |

Depends entirely on who's there.

Taking O line in the 1st round doesn't make any sense when what we need are interior linemen and a RT. All can be had in later rounds. We are better off trading our 2nd rounder back for more picks in rounds 3 and 4. That would generate a good yield of interior guys.

The first round is for game changers. That puts QB pretty high on the list. If there is an awesome, world beating game changer Shawne Merriman-on-steroids type 3-4 LB waiting there, then sure. But I would look for QB, shut down CB, NT, and DE in that order.

We are not going to be able to rebuild the O line this year through the draft, so some selective FA's will certainly help. Having either Capers or Cooke step up will really help as well.

We will also desperately need a FS or two.

And another RB or two

And some WR's

And some....

Posted by: edvar | November 22, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Read it again and tell me where I'm wrong....

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 8:40 PM |

I'll tell you where you're wrong. You're looking at tress when you should be seeing a forest.

Posted by: SnakerJake | November 22, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

what about Case Keenum from the University of Houston?

Posted by: westjr88 | November 22, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 22, 2010 10:17 PM

Ponder (2nd), Devlin (2nd-3rd), Stanzi (3rd), Keapernick (4th-5th).

I'll leave Newton and Pryor off the list because they need to another year. Newton may declare for obvious reasons but I wouldn't go near him.

I'd stay away from all QBs and go C/OG/NT/OLB/WR/MLB/etc. Too many needs for a luxury pick of QB.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SnakerJake | November 22, 2010 10:42 PM |

I prefer looking at bush.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I say draft the best guy available in the first round.

Hopefully the best available guy is an offensive lineman.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 22, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Stanzi seems like a Shanny QB to me.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 10:34 PM |

Could be. I don't know much about him. Does Iowa have a WC offense?

Posted by: SnakerJake | November 22, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 10:46 PM

I wonder how Will Montgomery will evolve as a center? Hopefully he will negate the need to draft a center high. That would be wishful thinking but it happens.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Stanzi seems like a Shanny QB to me.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 10:34 PM |

Could be. I don't know much about him. Does Iowa have a WC offense?

Posted by: SnakerJake | November 22, 2010 10:49 PM |

I watch a lot of Big Ten football (being a Michigan fan) and I can't say they run a WC offense but it is a precision passing a quick route offense.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Read it again and tell me where I'm wrong....

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 8:40 PM |

Posted by: SnakerJake | November 22, 2010 10:42 PM

I prefer no bush.

We're 5-5 and have exceeded expectations considering out roster and scheme changes.

I expect a 12 yr yet not to make rookie mistakes and when I say we left points on the field, we did. He missed two deep passes for TDs and we had to settle for SIX (6) FGs of which Gano made 4.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I prefer looking at bush.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 10:47 PM |

That's good. Looking at bush guarantees you will see the hole picture.

Posted by: SnakerJake | November 22, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

edvar you make a good point on getting playmakers in the first. In Haslett's defensive scheme, getting a playmaker on the line isn't a high priority. They gotta be able to two gap and let the Lbs do the work. That's why LB would be high on the Redskins wish list. CB becomes a point of emphasis if Los walks. Otherwise there will be too much $$ tied up in that position. Your point on the oline is a good one if the Skins are convinced J Brown has gotten past his injury issues. Otherwise getting an elite RT is imperative playing in the NFC east. My .02.

Posted by: TWISI | November 22, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh, but it is a run first offense. 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Dude has something like 22 td's to 4 picks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 10:54 PM

What do you'll think are the top qualities that KS looks for in a QB?

IMO I think the ability to be accurate on the intermediate and deep ball has to be high on his list. So a guy like Keenum may not suffice.

Posted by: TWISI | November 22, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Kirk Ferentz runs a pro style O and has been one the most desired college coaches by the NFL in the last 5 Yrs.

However if I was looking at Iowa's roster I would covet their DE/DT Clayborn a likely top 15 pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

You know, I was actually thinking Mikey not Kyle. Not sure what Kyle looks for. I never really paid him much attention until this year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Boise State QB would be a good 2nd round pick

Posted by: coparker5 | November 22, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

We need a all American QB from the South like Philip Rivers. He would crack the whip. One black qb won the Super bowl on a scrub year.

DM, Vince Young, Freeman will never win nothing.

Redskins should start the brethren of Snyder Grossman!

Posted by: tomass169 | November 22, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 11:12 PM

Gottcha. I'm pretty sure DMac is MS' pick. The QB of the future will have KS' hands all over it.

Posted by: TWISI | November 22, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Boise State QB would be a good 2nd round pick

Posted by: coparker5 | November 22, 2010 11:16 PM

Smart guy. Lacks arm strength.

Posted by: TWISI | November 22, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Boise State QB would be a good 2nd round pick

Posted by: coparker5 | November 22, 2010 11:16 PM

He's a JR who is 5'11 175lbs. But since you didn't know his name was Kellen Moore, I doubt you knew that.

He's a great college QB but you can count on one hand the amount of sub 6 ft QBs that have been successful in the NFL.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 22, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Seriously this is one of the funniest I've seen in a while.

@vic1

It looks like those bad jokes of yours are symptomatic of a disease:

Witzelsucht, from the German witzeln, meaning to joke or wisecrack, and sucht meaning addiction or yearning, is a set of rare neurological symptoms characterized by the patient's uncontrollable tendency to make puns, tell inappropriate jokes and pointless or irrelevant stories at inconvenient moments. The patient nevertheless finds these utterances intensely amusing.

You might want to talk with your physician about this at your next annual physical.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 22, 2010 1:35 PM

Posted by: RedCherokee | November 22, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

You build a team from the fronts on back. Until you draft a line on both sides QB is the last thing you need. Why put major money into something that is going to get shelled. Let 5 take the hits, build the line, then bring in the Qb. So keep looking at the best Qbs when you should be looking at everthing else. IMO, I think Lockert will be a great NFL QB, but he plays for the Jim Zorn of College Coaches in Steve Sarkisian.

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 22, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 22, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 22, 2010 11:38 PM |

Agreed on the line part but you are missing a valid point. Drafting a good young QB to sit and learn behind McNabb would be great for us. Unfortunately I'm not sure we can afford that luxury quite yet. Would be nice to have that QB class next year

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Having a Qb sit for a year and learn is not a bad thing at all. However the point is that this team is not a year or 2 away. In order for the Skins to become and remain a factor they have to get younger, faster, and cheaper. Thats 3 draft classes, not one draft class and a bunch of old FA to stop gaps like we have this year. Our future QB is a redshirt freshman right not who is out hunting down sorority chicks while we dissect our beloved franchise.

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 23, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 22, 2010 10:51 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath on Will Montgomery. Glad he had a good game, but I think we already know what he is.

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2010 12:23 AM |

I don't know about that. How do we know? The only way we'll find out is if he plays...which he is about to do (more than likely). I'm sure you may be right but he can't be worse than what we had.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 23, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 22, 2010 10:56 PM

Yeah, it would be pretty rockin to have MONSTER at LB. That would be worthy of our #1. I still think Orakpo is basically a pass rushing DE. Don't see him blowing up too many run plays or excelling in coverage.

RT? We can get that in rounds 3-4, if chosen wisely.

It just sucks that we have again traded away some of our key picks in this draft (3 & 4). Gotta start accumulating picks instead of trading them away.

Carter is rotting away in our new system. He had value as a 4-3 DE sack master. Dockery is wasting away in our system. Jarmon is disappearing in front of our eyes.

Not sure we could even move these guys, but getting 5's or 6's for them could only help.

I wouldn't trade Cooley. I want good players that fit our system and contribute regularly to accumulate.

I don't know...

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 23, 2010 12:28 AM |

I hope so too.

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't trade Cooley. I want good players that fit our system and contribute regularly to accumulatePosted by: edvar | November 23, 2010 12:35 AM

Its laughable you think other teams want our trash and we can get picks for them. Really think of what guys on this roster has true value to any team in the league:
98? 30? 71? 89? 92? 59? Out of these 6 only 89 would bring you a pick because 98,30,71 wouldnt be traded. Nobody will trade for 92 becasue he will be released because we have devalued him. 59 is an old slow great guy LB. Do not fool yourself into thinking teams want our trash, 66,90,99,etc. 47 is the only player of any value and you could only get a low 3 to early 4th for him. Id love to trade guys away and get 5's for them but Vinny doesnt work for any other team so thats not happening.

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 23, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 23, 2010 12:46 AM |

If Carter wasn't so old we could get a low pick for him. Jarmon is still kinda injured or we could definitely get a pick for him. That's about it. And don't fool yourself, there are plenty of "Vinny's" still out there. Look at that idiot from Chicago and what he did for Cutler. There's always a sucker somewhere...luckily it's not here anymore.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 23, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 23, 2010 12:46 AM

Nobody thinks the players on their own roster are worth much unless your contending for Super Bowls. Philly fans hate McNabb and think it's hysterical that they got a 2nd and a (3rd?, 4th?). But they got it.

Later in training camp, when key injuries happen, or mid-season, before the trade deadlines - there might have been opportunities. That's all I'm saying.

I mentioned Dock and Carter because they did well in our OLD system, but don't fit our NEW system, so they are not trash, they are misfits. Carter had 11 sacks last year.

Maybe the market has already spoken. I don't know what happens in Bruce Allen's office.

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

You got me on Chicago, but somehow they are 7-3 despite Cutler. I wish there was a sucker to 99(nice guy). Jarmon I like, but for some reason they like the squat machine Daniels who doesnt move anything on the field. As much as Redskin nation embraces 47 he is the only one of value and this is a business. We need picks to rebuild an O-line and a defense that has 4-3 personal and a 3-4 system.

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 23, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 23, 2010 1:01 AM

Now that's something I think we can all agree on.

Out.

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2010 12:57 AM

He had 11 sacks, numbers dont lie. Hed had 4 sacks the year before. What changed? Well having 92, no matter what you think of him and 98 allowed 99 to be 1 on 1 alot and at times 1 on 1 with TE's. You are right in the fact he is a DE.

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 23, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to have to go with my friend dpdanshultz on this.

We have ZERO tradable commodities on this team that we wouldn't want to keep. Nobody is trading for Jarmon, Doc, Carter, or any of our "trash". Maybe we get lucky and a team gives us a 4th for Haynie but that's about it. Moss is a FA at YR end and we're going to have to make a decision on him. Vinny apparently gave us a playoff roster TWO years ago and we are all know what a personnel genius he was.

Dan Snyder laid in bed with Vinny and now all of us have to sleep in it until Shanahan has 2-3 YRs to rid us of this roster.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 23, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

No on trading Cooley.

I have a Cooley jersey. Only active-player jersey I've ever bought. It's a gamble, but he struck me as a lifer.

So definitely negatory on letting him go. Negatively impacts the wardrobe budget.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 23, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Every team is dealing with injuries. The Giants who we have to play twice, and the Cowboys with Romo. It all seems to go back to our lack of depth at the O-line and running back. I think the D will sort itself out, eventually.

Posted by: ExPatYankee | November 23, 2010 3:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 23, 2010 12:46 AM

Here we go again...seriously, what are you basing this on? Do you know an NFL GM that said Cooley would go for a 3rd or 4th? Are YOU an NFL GM? Fans assessing trade value is about as assinine a thing as I've seen on this blog...and that's saying something.

Let me put it in perspective for you: Tony Gonzalez holds EVERY meaningful record for the TE position and is widely considered the best TE to ever play the game. He was traded for just a 2nd round pick. Chris Cooley is good...but he's no Tony Gonzalez. He caught just one TD all of '08, he's coming off an injury shortened '09 season, and his numbers aren't exactly off the charts this year. And in a year where a lockout looms over the league and Pro-Bowl players are being dealt at fire sale prices, you think Cooley is going to yield a pick just a shade below what a cinch HoFer went for at the same position?

Not likely.

Bottom line is Cooley probably wouldn't get you more than a 4th or 5th round pick--and Cooley has waaay more worth to us on the roster than dealing him for the next Perry Riley.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 23, 2010 5:17 AM | Report abuse

Any word on replacing Galloway in the line up? No didn’t think so.

Posted by: fat_back | November 23, 2010 5:55 AM | Report abuse

Any word on replacing Galloway in the line up? No didn’t think so.

Posted by: fat_back | November 23, 2010 5:55 AM

Not gonna happen this year. Next year, though...you can count on the Skins trading for Larry Fitzgerald. You heard it here first.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 23, 2010 6:05 AM | Report abuse

Any word on replacing Galloway in the line up? No didn’t think so.

Posted by: fat_back | November 23, 2010 5:55 AM

Why would you come here looking for that. Jason Reid broke the big story Saturday that Austin was coming up from the practice squad. First Redskins story that Jason Reid broke. His info was so exclusive that none of the other media got the story. Now you want Reid to break the next big story about Galloway?

Posted by: beep-beep | November 23, 2010 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | November 23, 2010 6:16 AM |

The Redskins didn't get the story either, considering Austin is still on the practice squad.

Go figure the only story Reid has given us first and he was totally wrong, nice work.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 23, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse