Strength and conditioning program worth the weights

In an interview Thursday at Redskins Park, linebacker/defensive end Brian Orakpo described the team's previous conditioning program as "a mess."

Orakpo, however, had good things to say about Ray Wright, Washington's new lead strength and conditioning coach, who apparently is big on organization. Well, Orakpo's comments got me thinking, which can be dangerous.

Does Orakpo, beginning just his second season in the NFL, really have enough experience to know whether the Redskins' conditioning program was as chaotic as it seemed to him? I mean, I know the University of Texas, for which Orakpo starred, has a big-time football program, but I was curious if longtime veterans had the same perspective, so I made some phone calls.

"These guys are organized," top cornerback DeAngelo Hall said. "I'm not saying anything about what went on last year, because I don't even want to think about that.

"But everything the way we're doing it now under Coach [Mike] Shanahan, this is the way it's supposed to be. From the new bright, white walls to the plan they have for us when you step in there [the weight room], it's just professional, man. It's all about following a plan to get the work done, get better and get out."

Okay, so Hall appreciates how Wright and his staff roll. But he's only one veteran. I wasn't trying to get all scientific or anything, but a bit more of a sampling was needed, in my humble opinion, so I spoke with three more players who have at least five seasons of NFL service.

From what they said, it seems young Mr. Orakpo knows of what he speaks.

"Guys used to go in there, do a few reps on the bench [press] and then go off to do their own thing," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "Now, it's just organized. Everyone had a plan to follow to try to get better. No one is just doing whatever. It's like I thought it would be when I came into the NFL."

What's occurring in the weight room is indicative of the change quickly spreading throughout the organization, players and other team employees said. Shanahan is in charge, and everyone seems to have fallen in line behind him.

"I like people to know how important everyone is in that organization; it's just not a coaching staff, " Shanahan said the other day at the owners' meetings in Orlando. "Everybody's got a job to do; everybody's got a role. To be the best in this business, you have to have everybody going in the same direction, just not coaches. And everybody is part of the team.

"And to get the little things done the right way, everybody has to be the best at what they do in their respective area. There's no job that's not important. And you want people to be the best at what they do, regardless if it's coaches, front office. Everybody's got a role, everybody's got a job to do and we expect those people to do their jobs and do it the right way."

By Jason Reid  |  March 27, 2010; 8:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Andre Carter and the 3-4 defensive scheme
Next: Redskins still searching for return specialists

Comments

Hey, big stick in the eye to all you Duke haters, most of whom have shown that you are not bright enough to find the school on a map, much less to have gotten admitted to it.

Easy path? So far, Duke has beat #16, #8, #4 seeds. No benefit from facing weak "Cinderella" teams due to upsets. Meanwhile, #1 seed Kansas went out in the second round, beaten by a #9 seed, UNI (a school for sports uniform design) and #1 seed Syracuse is beaten by a #5 seed, Butler (a school for manservants).

Then there's the "University" of Maryland. Or there was the "University" of Maryland. They got bounced early from the ACC tourney and followed that up with a second round humiliation in the NCAA by a lower-seeded team playing without their star.

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

AAAaa, I'm just too selfish to align myself with ANY group, like Burroughs or Johnny Rotten...Snivelization's gonna go down in flames afore long anyway...How 'bout them 'Skins??...

Posted by: frak | March 27, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | March 27, 2010 9:20 AM

Can't have it both ways. First you don't want to align with anyone, then you align yourself with Burroughs and Johnny Rotten. Is you is or is you ain't my baby?

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Orakpo's comments got me thinking, which can be dangerous.
By Jason Reid
--------------------------------------------
Yeh, you might bust a blood vessel or something..stick to the cut and paste i'd hate to lose you...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 27, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I know about new assistant strength coach, Malcolm Blacken. He was the running back at my High School and he was a hoss.

Posted by: westjr88 | March 27, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I mean was vinny & Gibbs II that bad? No organization even in the training program? No disrespect to Gibbs, et al but with a combo of old lineman/players in general and no true weight program equals injury.

Maybe the owner really "did" think this was a fantasy football team!

unbelievable!

Posted by: overzealous08 | March 27, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

(ok.. I got called out on my response to the JC radio spot.. I meant Pennington in a NEW system, the year he took Miami to the playoffs).
++++++++++++++++
longballs wrote:

TWISI-just listened to the JC segment, he actually said, "There are things I have to re-teach myself, and I have to forget about everything that I've learned...try to start over, you know?" re: pocket presence and foot work. Unbelievable. Damn, I hope we see good things from him, thinking optimistic.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | March 26, 2010 11:53 PM
==
ok.. above is the whole posting.. But I cherry picked the part that I thought was "pathetic".. that is... we "feel good" that the WHOLE offense is in attendance for practice. I didnt give a ratazz about his grammar.. just how pathetic it is what makes us feel good, now, as fans of a 4-12 team..
Notice also what JC focused on during the radio interview.. Learning a "new system"... Sound familiar? He is setting us up his same old "new system" excuses. We are going to hear it over and over from him like we did in Zorn's first year and Saunders first year.
JC is a fraud. Or, Gibbs, Saunders, and Zorn suddenly became incompetent coaches only when working at Redskins Park.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 26, 2010 11:14 PM
-----------
as per my earlier above post..
JC is greasing the media for his same old "new system" excuses.. He's been milking this for five years, now, while the Flaccos, Ryans, Penningtons, and Sanchez's continue to flourish in their first and second years of new systems.

Just another "unfair" situation for poor JC. The OLine was unfair, the Gibbs, Saunders, Zorn, and now Kyle "new systems" have been unfair..yadda yadda... Its coming....

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Wow, anybody who watched the skins in the last two years finds all of this very easy to believe. It was clear that the skins had no organization in anything. Zorn had no clue what he was doing!

Posted by: wardt30 | March 27, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wardt30 | March 27, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wardt30 | March 27, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wardt30 | March 27, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

I don't recall JC making excuses about his play and saying anything about new systems. He has been the epitome of PC. He always say the right things and never blame anyone system on his failures. all the different system talk has been by the media and RI's Mayor "J cut-n-paste Reid".

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 27, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

...while the Flaccos, Ryans, Penningtons, and Sanchez's continue to flourish in their first and second years of new systems.
Posted by: SkinsneedaGM
---------------------------------------------
And each of the guys had strong olines...people up here hve offered trade scenarios to get Gaither from B'more..Atl has the leagues top rushing game which is directly Oline related...Miami has a strong running game as well and the Jets have 3 all-pros on their line...so if you think that the oline is not important then it obvious that you never ever played football..and have only been a arm-chair GM

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 27, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

It's great to see some organization and a plan. I am amazed at how used to ineptitude I had become. It almost seemed the norm. Until now I may have been jaded with how absolutely clueless and useless Zorn really was.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 27, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

You know, I am ready to believe this article completely. There had to be some reason for so many players to go out and seek their own off season conditioning programs and a lot of guys looked gassed during the preseason. Is this Zorn's fault, though? Did he even have responsibility for the training org? Regardless of who was responsible, they did the team and the players a huge disservice by not giving them the tools they needed. This gets me back to deliberating on whether the players were so bad last year or just poorly conditioned and coached. Maybe the team was a lot closer to being good than we all thought, but we didn't understand how pathetic the infrastructure was.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 27, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Well I like the sounds eminating from REDSKINS PARK, but I still have my reservations about SHANAHAN. If he doesn't win the SUPER BOWL in 2012 he's a bust. Just kidding of course. There may not even BE professional football by then who knows?

I don't like HAYNESWORTH going off by himself, but I love the silence coming from CP's direction.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 27, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 27, 2010 9:51 AM

You're right, I put it all on Zorn in that last statement because he was head coach and therefore ultimately responsible in my eyes. But to be honest it started at the top and permeated the whole organization.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 27, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 27, 2010 9:51 AM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 27, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Before dubbing Campbell a bust I really would like to see him play behind an even adequate offensive line. The fact that he put up respectable numbers behind a high school caliber line is impressive. Is Levi Jones truly horrible? I'm surprised we haven't tried to sign him for depth instead of chasing 3rd rate offensive tackles.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | March 27, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Zorn was probably the worst coach the Redskins have ever had. He simply didn't have a clue as to how to be a head coach. While he started out 6-2, he regressed at an alarming rate in his last season and 1/2. However, it was worth all of the pain to finally get rid of the weirdo Vinny Cerrato!!

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | March 27, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Anybody else remember all the muscle pulls and hammy problems, and, yes, including when Gibbs 2.0 was here?

Conditioning was awful. I'll be curious to see how they approach it at camp. I'm not in favor of keeping at Ashburn, but if they run them till they puke that would be a good start.

I remember going to see them at Frostburg and waiting to see Rod Milstead, as he was a family friend, this was under Norv, and when he came out to meet us after the last practice he couldn't stand up straight because he was so whipped. He told us that practices and conditioning were always intense and that he was in the best shape of his life.

When we went to see the team at Ashburn under JG II guys had enough energy to sprint to their cars after practice and horse around and generally did not look as if they had run at all.

Posted by: LarryBud | March 27, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 27, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

YES. Many of us here put the blame where it belonged on ownership and the "Bag-Man."
However, I do believe DANO has finally gotten to JACK KENT's and JERRY's stations in life.

TO WIT:

I still feel I'm smart enough to be owner, GM, HC, and a player, but I've been battered around enough to fire the sycophant and let professionals do things.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 27, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

FOR AWHILE!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 27, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

btw, duck fuke.

Posted by: LarryBud | March 27, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

DC STILL WANTS VICK! q from pg

Posted by: djrogyrog | March 27, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I think it's the opposite. I predict we'll be seeing something similar to the blog after the Saints game last year: A lot of peeps saying "hey, I might need to take back what I've been saying about Jason, he's showing me something".

What's your excuse going to be when our offense ranks in the top ten and we double our wins from last year? Are you going to talk about how "unfair" it is that a real OC and system are putting our QB in a position to succeed and that the skinsfoundaGM that will build our team the right way?

Because you can't have it both ways. You can't blame JC for the debacle of the last year or two, then not give him credit when they do well. That radio interview and the Hayney interview tell me why we didn't see JC standing tall in the pocket and why he was throwing some of the dump-offs on 3rd and long (valid criticism).

And for Chrissakes, Casserly starts off answering the question, "What's the problem in Washington?" with "Well, it has nothing to do with the play calling..." You really want to keep trotting this out?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | March 27, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

RedskinJim1 I think Levi wants either too much money or too long a contract> The skins have had a standing offer to him out there for awhile now.

When teams would warn their coaches about coming to DC to coach, it was because there was no structure, thanks Vinny. Now that we BA and Shanny we (the fans) could actually see the talent that is here used and maximized to its fullest.

Posted by: TWISI | March 27, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Adam Schefter, of ESPN, reports via Twitter that Oakland Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell arrived at the team's offseason workout program weighing 290 pounds, according to two people

Posted by: skinfanman | March 27, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

..(crawling from the wreckage).."Commander!! Look!! Clamato Cheladas at 3:00!!" "Sweet Holy Underwear, There Is A God..."

"We'll put the machine gun towers here and here...The Haynesworth Holding Cage goes here...Portis, Johnson, Moss and Marshall go in the Offensive Dog Pound...Hall gets his own Doghouse.."

Posted by: frak | March 27, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

THEY STILL LOVE TO HATE ME. q from pg

Posted by: qfrompg | March 27, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns have said they will spend extra time with University of Cincinnati QB Tony Pike.

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns will spend some individual time with University of Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford and Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen, according to a league source

>>I wouldn't be surprised to see on draft day the Browns move up to #1 or #2 to take a QB. Interesting that in spite of Holmgren's earlier comments here he is spending more time with him.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Wow....Just Wow...

So THAT was the problem the WHOLE TIME!!!! EVen though it was the same S&C people going back to Gibbs 2.0 who made the playoffs twice.....

While I agree the new dude is on point...COME ON MAAAN! Redskins NAtion contradicts all this B.S. cuz they'd be on that joint every other day talking about exercises they had the players doing. And they showed Haynesworth in there almost everyday doing ish like boxing and other SJK.....

Atleast they have some real world, 'The Office' type tricks...always throw the ones under the bus who's no longer there!!

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

jcnjcnj wrote:

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 27, 2010 9:37 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hey jcnjcnj..
It took me one try on google to find this quote below.. He says it every year he is in a "new system" and performs as we know he does.... (ie. 4 NFC East wins in 25 NFC East starts). Then in his second year of a new system, there are sound bites of him saying.. Now that I have a learning year behind me this is the year to step up.. blah blah.. He is a walking excuse cliche.

This quote if from 2008 his first year with Zorn..

"It's tough to learn a new system year in and year out," Campbell said, "especially when you look at the guys throughout the [league] and see they've been in the same offense for four or five years.

"It's really given them the opportunity to mature in the offense. They continue to get new things because all the other things they've learned in the past, they already know and they're comfortable with that."

________________________________
longballs wrote:

Posted by: RomoLongballs | March 26, 2010 11:53 PM
==

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 26, 2010 11:14 PM
-----------
as per my earlier above post..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Albert Breer, of the Boston Globe, reports the New England Patriots held a private workout with University of Florida LB Brandon Spikes.

>>Makes sense. The Pats have three second rounders. I can see Spikes in the middle along with Mayo. And I bet they're hoping Kindel falls to them in the first at 22.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 27, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryBud | March 27, 2010 10:01 AM

I feel ya on this.....

I think it came from a magority of the players complaining about being exhausted at the end of the season and not having anything left in the tank....So Gibbs 2.0 made a deal with them if they stayed in shape all year and attended OTAs, he would not run them into the ground during Training Camp....

It's obviuous somethings need to change.....not neccesarily completly made over....But the skins got unlimited $$$ so it no thing.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Bernie Miklasz, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams general manager Billy Devaney said during a radio interview that the Rams would be willing to trade the first overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft if another team makes a substantial offer.

Frank Tadych, of NFL.com, reports unrestricted free-agent WR Torry Holt (Jaguars) said the most important thing he is looking for in a team is playing with an elite quarterback. "That list is small, but that's something I'm looking at in terms of my next move," Holt said.

ESPN.com reports Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan said he will be monitoring QB Jason Campbell's progress during offseason workouts, according to The Washington Post, to see how he is able to grasp Shanahan's system. "I don't think you know until you actually work with somebody for sure exactly how they're going to handle your system," Shanahan said. "I think Jason's handled a lot of different systems in college and pro. He's a big guy, an excellent athlete and he's a worker. So now we get a chance to let it unfold and see how it goes

Posted by: skinfanman | March 27, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

4thFloor are you sure it was the same S&C? Didn't Bubber retire when Gibbs left (not sure about that). I do recall some changes in the S&C team. What year was the seaon of bad hammies?

Posted by: TWISI | March 27, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | March 27, 2010 10:40 AM
===========
I think Tyer re-retired after Zorn's first year.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | March 27, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't that 2007? I think that was the year Moss missed a few games here and there with his hammy, and there were about 5-7 other players that year that were gimpy. If so, that was still Bubba.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | March 27, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Bubba was part of S&C?

He came back in '04...reretired in before last season.

But they had generally the same peeps the past 4 years or so.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

btw, duck fuke.

Posted by: BarryLud | March 27, 2010 10:06 AM |

You can always tell a Terp -- can't spell two words in a row, not even their own name.

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Am I included in this LS if I graduated from Bowie State? We are all supposedly part of the same school system....

...I fashion myself more of a GTown Fan anyway...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | March 27, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah...This is how we will get McNabb...

He will engineer his release by only demanding to go to Minny....And that won't happen...

They will release him after the draft and he will come here.....

Unless Philly gets petty and send him to Oakland.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

...and when he came out to meet us after the last practice he couldn't stand up straight because he was so whipped. He told us that practices and conditioning were always intense and that he was in the best shape of his life.

Posted by: LarryBud | March 27, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Barnes, 2010?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | March 27, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

4th,

I still associate you with your days on the Eastern Shore at UMES. You get a pass on spelling, as long as you remain a fan of the Duke Blue Devils.

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

There is always optimism at this time of the year when a new coach comes in.....We should wait at least a year to see whether players and everybody is still in line behind Shanahan. Right now everybody is happy and want to forget the last season.

Posted by: ajeshp | March 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I am going to get some flak on this, but this snowball to purgatory started when Charlie Casserly was named the GM and not Bobby Mitchell.

Bobby Mitchell soon left and when he did a wealth of institutional blood and guts training and knowledge left with him.

Charlie Casserly had been a part of it but he did not have a clue and still dosen't.

Casserly was good at talking about the end product but he had not clue on how important the everyday mundane operations was.

Bobby Mitchell knew this of course and when Dan Synder took over, whom I like, he also did not understand the importance of what Mitchell embodied in the organization.

Here we many, many years later and Shanahan is putting back the importance of basic football training, something that Bobby Mitchell knew all along, but his value was not recognized by Danny Synder.

Casserly should have known, but he didn't, which is why I have said several times here on this blog that not hiring Bobby Mitchell as the GM was a great blunder, if the biggest blunder that Danny Synder made.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 27, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

It's a pity they didn't ask Philip Daniels about the s&c department. In my opinion, the words of a workout warrior like that are the ones most credible in evaluating strength and conditioning. I know Daniels has said he likes what he sees with the new staff, but what was his opinion of the old one?

Funny how no one mentioned the nutritional supplements that Romanowski's company will be providing for the team... "It's not a steroid - it's a Romanoid..."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 27, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | March 27, 2010 11:02 AM
-----------------------------------------
Edvar, obviously your direct line into Dan Snyder's office must have been tampered with. Maybe they cut you off after those last stock tips...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 27, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

as long as you remain a fan of the Duke Blue Devils.

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 11:09 AM

Never. But my high school's name was the Springbrook Blue Devils and I am a fan of them (though I hated being associated with a devil that's blue).

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 27, 2010 11:14 AM

When they interviewed the new S&C coach.....(Chris) LarRY Michael asked about Daniels....and dude immediate said, 'I let be Phillip be him. He has done so much overhis 15 years in the league, I would hate to mess it up. He does his own thing.'

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 27, 2010 11:12 AM

What a crock. I don't know why you even said it once, much less several times.

...in 2003 Mitchell retired at the age of 68, stating that he was "deeply hurt" by the manner in which late owner Jack Kent Cooke passed him over as the team's general manager in 1988 and by then-coach Steve Spurrier's decision to issue his uniform number to Leonard Stephens that season. Mitchell was also passed over for the Redskins GM job in 1978 in favor of Bobby Beathard.

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

..that Brooklyn girl's cackling laugh haunts me everywhere I go..

When Johnny Rotten went on a reunion tour with the Sex Pistols sponsored by Marlboro, he said, "If people want to kill themselves with this sh*t then, GO FOR IT!!"

Finally, some signs of quality emanating from within the org..

Posted by: frak | March 27, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

POSTED BY League-Source

Well put, fellow Duke fan. I'm not from NC, have no allegiance to schools there, but love the way Duke plays the game. Smart, hustling, unselfish, great defense.

And as a Redskin and Clippers* fan, it's nice to have at least ONE of my teams winning.

*I hate LA teams becasue most fans here stink. But I felt I had to choose one, so I chose the worst once I could think of, Besides, in Donald Sterling, they have a lousy owner, too.

Posted by: TheCork | March 27, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

let's talk about commitment. how many redskins players out there are actually commiting to the team ? not many. i wish there are 11 guys out there on Defensive team like london fletcher.

Posted by: g4fly4ever | March 27, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source |

Oh well, if it's in Wikepedia, it's GOT to be true...

Posted by: TheCork | March 27, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

from PFT
Shanahan says Carter "will do a great job for us"
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2010 11:43 AM ET
When we last mentioned Redskins outside linebacker Andre Carter, we pointed out that he didn't seem thrilled with shifting positions in the Redskins' new 3-4 defense after previously playing defensive end in the 4-3.

There's still plenty of talk in Washington that Carter isn't a good fit for the 3-4, that his contract calls for him to make more money than the Redskins want to pay him, and that he could be headed elsewhere. But Redskins coach Mike Shanahan says he wants Carter on his team.

"Andre will do a great job for us," Shanahan said. "I talked to Andre. He came in before [the] offseason program [began]. He's getting rehabbed over at the Stanford hospital. He'll be in April 5 or April 8, somewhere in that area, with our offseason conditioning program. We're looking forward to him getting started."

The rehab Shanahan refers to is from surgery in January to repair a torn biceps, which Carter managed to play through in December at the end of a very impressive season in which he started all 16 games and recorded 11 sacks.

Carter's willingness to play through that injury, as well as his text message to Jason Reid of the Washington Post in which he said he'd "do whatever the team needs me to do," indicate that even if Carter isn't thrilled with moving to outside linebacker, he may still play there for the Redskins in 2010.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 27, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@League-Source,

I am aware of those facts as well, but the fact of the matter is, I have blogged long ago about this Mitchell thing.

And also Mitchell did finally retire when he realized that Synder had no role for him nor knew his value.

Synder could have well hired Bobby Mitchell for the General Manager slot if he had wanted too, but like I said he did not understand or realize the value that Bobby Mitchell had in the Washington Redskin Organization.

Just because Mitchell was old and bitter at Spurrier dosen't mean he did know what made the organization tick and would have definitely made a supremely better GM than Charlie Casserly made.

Don't compare Mitchell to Bethard. Compare Mitchell to that no account GM Casserly and Synders own stupidity in not realizing the great value that Mitchell had in the Organization.

They used to joke that Mitchell was just a player personnel guy and not GM material. I wonder what the hey qualified Charlie Casserly for the job.

Bobby Mitchell was immensely more qualified than Casserly and when he walked out the door Snyder was left with nothing and we see how far that has gotten us.

Holla at a Big Dog, Iffin' Ya' Wanna.'

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 27, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

F-CK the two D`s !! DALLAS and DUKE !!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | March 27, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

POSTED BY League-Source

Posted by: TheCork | March 27, 2010 11:42 AM |

League-Source & TheCork = posting like herbs

Heh, heh.

Posted by: ElDrano | March 27, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Holla at a Big Dog, Iffin' Ya' Wanna.'

LarryInClintonMD.
_______________________________________________________________

Larry...what are you talking about? The redskins won a super bowl with casserly as GM (in '91). He also drafted players like brian mitchell, stephen davis, frank wycheck and was able to trade for the saints ENTIRE DRAFT and still get champ bailey. Snyder fired him one year after buying the team, and that's the year the skins went out and tried to buy a Super Bowl. To me, the Redskins downfall really began when they fired Charley Casserly!

Posted by: votematt2024 | March 27, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"I remember last season pointing out that we always seem to have an unusual amount of soft tissue injuries, and that they never seemed to heel well (Santana?). I'm glad to hear they have taken corrective steps to fix this. WHAT THE HELL TOOK SO LONG?Posted by: edvar"

They inadvertently treated your 30,000 e-mails on the subject as spam?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 27, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

LS,

Love the Duke love didn't know I had a fellow Duke fan up here. I love how everyone says Duke was given an easy bracket. Duke played tougher teams to get to the final 8 then Kentucky did, and those other number 1 seeds well lets face it they choked.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 27, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"Dunno what kind of GM Mitchell might have made, but I'll take "old bitter and out of touch" over "young, stupid and Googly eyed" eight days a week and twice on Sunday."

Yes, but then, you think there are eight days in a week.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 27, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

...which is why it all adds up.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 27, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Based on what I saw over the years, Mitchell's job was mostly community relations and business development. That's a valuable function, but a long way from operations.

Owners vary a lot in who they hire as GM. Some seem to prefer ex-head coach types, while a few like to have a personnel guy in the job (Beathard, Cerrato). Bruce Allen is more a business and contracts type. His big strength in the past has been managing difficult ownership groups like the Glazers, Al Davis... good preparation for this project. He's certainly not a scout-and-sign type like Casserly.

Charlie's expertise was in the lower rounds of the draft (remember, there used to be a lot more rounds) and with unsigned free agents. He was great in the replacement year. He was never particularly strong with elite players, who he tends to regard with suspicion, like they're overpaid frauds trying to put something over on us (which they often are). That draft pick of Mario Williams got him fired in Houston, although it was in fact the correct pick. But where Bruce is strong with owners, Charlie strikes them as an unimaginative plebe.

A guy like Vinny is your classic sports BS artist, exaggerating his successes and shifting blame for his failures. It's always surprising that somebody like Snyder falls for that line of patter, but nobody's a bigger sucker than a salesman, and that's what Dan is at heart.

IMO Bobby Mitchell was a fine player who would have made an uninspiring GM. He's not Ozzie Newsome.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 27, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"Tim Tebow=Scott Frost=Heath Shuler=Andre Ware=David Klinger=Ryan Leaf=Tim Couch=David Carr=Joey Harrington=Todd Marinovich=the outcome of Moe's unexpert analysis..."
Posted by: MistaMoe"

Here's the thing: every one of those guys, with the exception of Frost, looked better prepared for the NFL than Tebow does.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 27, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

So we now have confirmed worst Redskins head coaches of all time

1. Jim Zorn
2. Mike Nixon
3. Steve Spurrier

Danny has 2 out of 3

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 27, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article by Ross Tucker at SI.com, on the subtle discrimination faced by players like Myron Rolle of Miami and Toby Gerhart of Stanford -- Gerhart for being a white RB, and Rolle for being interested in neurosurgery. Tucker played at Princeton and said throughout his career he was questioned about his commitment to football in view of the fact that he actually had a choice of careers and could do something that didn't involve broken bones. Tucker said that every exposure he had to the workaday world of business convinced him that he needed to extend his football career as long as possible. But coaches, he says, don't like players who they suspect are smarter than they are. They ask too many questions and come up with too many answers. Coaches like obedience and dread being shown up in front of others.

I guess I can see that. I remember Robert Smith, the former Ohio State and Vikings RB, saying something very similar about his experience in football. For all its intricacies, it's just not a game populated by thinkers.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 27, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

LS,

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 27, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Flounder and LS,

Did you guys go to Duke?

Posted by: p1funk | March 27, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

They inadvertently treated your 30,000 e-mails on the subject as spam?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 27, 2010 12:20 PM

Ha! More like 3.

I was asking what took so long because it seemed pretty obvious over the last couple of years that something was wrong here, not because of the awesome power of my postings.

If I had that kind of influence, we would have had an O-line last year...

Posted by: edvar | March 27, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

NCAA strokes the Network?
From the Kansas City Star:

Blame television for Duke's being given a No. 1 seed. In an effort to hoodwink a TV network into again overpaying for the Big Dance, the NCAA is considering expanding the tourney to 96 teams. So it's only logical that the selection committee provided the Blue Devils -- tournament-chokers for most of the last decade -- a relative cakewalk to the Final Four. Duke, the alleged third No. 1 seed, is in the bracket with the weakest No. 2 (Villanova) and No. 3 (Baylor) and No. 4 (Purdue).
Kansas City Star

Posted by: cliftonbiz | March 27, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Tucker said that...coaches like obedience and dread being shown up in front of others.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 27, 2010 12:46 PM

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"Mitchell was passed over for GM by Cooke and by the time Snyder ("Danny" to you) turned up he was old, bitter and out of touch, retiring because Spurrier allowed another player to wear his number. This from Wikipedia.

Posted by: League-Source |

Oh well, if it's in Wikepedia, it's GOT to be true..."

You got that right, Cork. Their description of the Battle of Hue is just plain off, as from what I've read, the Marine casualties were closer to 1000, not the 250 listed there...An EXTREMELY tough battle, like Iwo Jima, every inch being hard fought...But in fairness, the government never lies about such things..The ARVN commanders knew the battle was too hard fought and without the Americans, they could never win..Signaled the end of the Vietnam war..Always fascinated by the raging violence around those giant Buddhas and beautiful architecture..

Posted by: frak | March 27, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

=============================================
Change coaches to managers and the same is true in business a lot of the time. I have seen too many times when the people in charge hire dummies to work for them and then they can't figure out why stuff never gets done or done right.

Got transferred to worked for one guy who had a Phd and we had to address his a Doctor. [Such a reward for me being a performer and his group being mostly incompetent.]

I said in a meeting, "What, am I getting a physical or something?" Everyone laughed and I was on his s**t list for months.

The big boss, who I had known for years, called me in and asked what was going on between us. I was pretty perturbed at the time and I said something like...

To be brutally honest this guy is an f'ing idiot; actually he's the king of the idiots because he's surround himself with a whole village of idiots.

He was totally shocked when he was let go a few weeks later. Me too, things did not usually that fast. Even bigger surprise, when big boss called me in and told me I was now the king of the idiots and he expected me to fix the problem quickly.

That's when I learned to be careful what you say because someone just might hold you accountable for it.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 27, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

So, everybody is piling on clueless Zorn...

1. Campbell didn't have Zorn his entire career. He started with Gibbs.

2. Last year, everything was peachy keen. I recall MeAngelo talking big smack on NFLN about their training program and how great the season was going to be. I don't care about optimism, but I can't stand hypocrites who come out talking BS after the fact (especially when you conveniently forget all the bravado YOU spouted earlier).

Posted by: peauxsucent | March 27, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

NCAA gives Duke cupcake draw in South
by Mike DeCourcy

Sunday, Mar. 14, 2010 - 9:03 p.m. ET

It has been awhile, by their standards, since the Duke Blue Devils reached the NCAA Tournament Final Four. Don't worry. It won't be much longer.

Duke was the least accomplished of the No. 1 seeds — except to the selection committee, which considered them third-best. And the Devils wound up with a heavenly draw, with crippled No. 4 seed Purdue and fading No. 2 seed Villanova joining them in the South region.

The Devils couldn't have gotten a greater gift from the committee if the entire tournament were moved to Cameron Indoor Stadium.

So figure on Duke reaching its first Final Four since 2004.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | March 27, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 27, 2010 11:12 AM
========================================================

no mention of beathard?!?!?!? last time i checked beathard took over for mitchell then casserley took over for beathard... then some kook to over for casserly... mitchell left the skins then returned to the skins as an "executive"adviser when danny bought the team...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | March 27, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Mock draft analysis 332 mock drafts

#1 - Bradford 49%, Suh 25%, Clausen 25%
#2 - Suh 49%, Okung 27%, G.McCoy 23%, Berry 2%
#3 - G.McCoy 49%, Suh 23%, Berry 20%, Okung 4%, Clausen 2%, Morgan 1%
#4 - Clausen 31%, Okung 30%, Bradford 26%, G.McCoy 3%, Berry 3%
#5 - Berry 31%, Okung 28%, Bulaga 14%, Davis 6%, McClain 5%, Campbell 5%, Bradford 2%

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 27, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

The trade rumors over McNabb are driving me crazy.

McScab holds all the Aces though and Philly keeps waffling, because it's really the fanz that want him gone, but the coaches know McScab is their best QB.

The Iggles going into a season w/o McScab at QB would be too good to be true.

Philly fanz don't deserve Donovan and will sorely miss him when he's gone. (i'd love to see Kolb try and lead them to the playoffs as consistently as McScab.)

Eagles, Please Please Please trade him!

Final Thought: Based purely on "too good to be true" theory: I guarantee McScab will be an Eagle in 2010.

Posted by: Vicc | March 27, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 9:29 AM

Why do I suspect if JC17 had thrown for 12 TDs and 20 INTs like Sanchez did, you wouldn't describe him as "flourishing"?

Posted by: Alan4 | March 27, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | March 27, 2010 1:29 PM

`

Because winning is more important than stats.

Posted by: Vicc | March 27, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

NCAA strokes the Network?
From the Kansas City Star:

Kansas City Star

Posted by: cliftonbiz | March 27, 2010 12:57 PM |

Kansas lost to Norther Iowa a powerhouse in Basketball, Syracuse lost to Butler a good team but should not be able to beat a Big East powerhouse.

If you look at the top 4 in each bracket, Dukes region was the only one to have 3 out of the 4 make it to the sweet 16 sounds like the other brackets had weaker top 4's to me.

But you keep crying little baby!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 27, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | March 27, 2010 1:29 PM

Did he not flourish in the Playoffs??

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

With Bears fanz clamoring for a change at QB, Coach Lovie Smith exclaimed "We are 10-2 with Rex at Quarterback"

What happened when Rex wasn't winning? The Bears made a change at Quarterback.

Let's try a different approach to the JC versus O-line argument. I'd really like to hear any quote by a PLAYER or COACH talking about the correlation between winning and offensive line. Good Luck finding one...

Until the offensive line touches the ball every play, they will continue to be supporting cast.

Posted by: Vicc | March 27, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

We had fallen so behind the curve with Snyder and Cerrato handling the system. I mean Zorn was in over his head,but when Snyder didn't have his back in the Portis flap,etc; I can't even muster that much resentment towards him. It's all on the Man at the Top. Period.

Posted by: ridgely1 | March 27, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

6 cosmofla23 1, c. cos 240 180 160 0 0 0 Kansas 320 580 85.5
9 4thFloor, A. Hamid 230 180 160 0 0 0 Kansas St 800 570 81.3
9 Rypien11, r. murphy 230 180 160 0 0 0 Syracuse 320 570 81.3
9 412Dan 1, D. FourandTwelve 250 160 160 0 0 0 Ohio 240 570 81.3
9 RedDMV 1, C. V 250 160 160 0 0 0 Kansas 160 570 81.3

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Today is my judgement day.

WVa and K.State all the waaay.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Kansas City Star

Posted by: cliftonbiz | March 27, 2010 12:57 PM |

Weakest #4? That has to be the "University" of Maryland. Weakest #3? That would have been Georgetown, wouldn't it? Weakest #2? Probably was Villanova, although Ohio State didn't impress anyone. Overall weakest bracket? That has to be the Midwest -- either the #5 or the #6 seed will be in the Final Four. Second weakest? West -- either the #5 or the #2 will be in the Final Four.

You got nothing but warmed over spittle, Cliftonbiz.

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Flounder and LS,

Did you guys go to Duke?

Posted by: p1funk | March 27, 2010 12:51 PM |

p1,

I didn't go to Duke though I wanted to we couldn't afford it, I went to UNC Charlotte. I was a die hard Duke fan before I went to college and wasn't going to change.

My pops is a big time Maryland fan, and when I was 13 I decide to go against him and like the team he hated.

He is also a Redskins fanatic but when he told my cousin to go out and sit on the porch, for rooting for the Cowboys in his house I decided to stay a Skins fan for saftey reasons.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 27, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | March 27, 2010 1:29 PM

Did he not flourish in the Playoffs??

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 1:48 PM

No, he lost.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 27, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | March 27, 2010 1:29 PM

Did he not flourish in the Playoffs??

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 27, 2010 1:48 PM
=====================
Come on Alan4.. all those successful QBs, I listed, made the playoffs in a new system.. And I would say a rookie guiding his team to the playoffs is flourishing in a system. I'd take Sanchez in a heartbeat over "three and out and out of bounds hail mary" JC. Snyder, would too, who for once, knew what he was doing trying to trade JC last year. No one wanted him for a 2nd last year and no one wants him for a 1st this year. Skins didnt even want to pay the extra $124K to place a tender of a 1st AND 3rd on JC. Allen obviously didnt want to discourage a team from taking him off the Skins hands....
And ref Sanchez's stats.. Stats mean zero.. or we'd be thrilled that JC's qb rating went up a point in 09 and could care less that we are 4-12.. We all know how JC pads his stats with short dump offs (casserly video) and thus is near last of all the QBs in the history of the NFL in TD efficiency.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN. HERE WE GO. SUPER DUKE'S GUNNA TO THE SUPER BOWL. HERE WE GO.

i heard nolan smith wants to come to dc. i hope we pick him up if we get the 1st pick. q from pg.

Posted by: qfrompg | March 27, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

By Mike Pesca
February 7, 2010 8:00 AM

"Passing is taking over, because it's the fastest way to get into that end zone," Grant says.

The Indianapolis Colts have embraced the passing game. They come into the Super Bowl as favorites, yet had the worst running game in football this year. Last year, the team with the worst running game also played in the Super Bowl. These Colts and those Cardinals aren't an exception.

Of the top 12 passing offenses, nine made the playoffs. Of the top 14 passing offenses, none had a losing record. On the other hand, five of the top 14 running teams did. While you still hear the phrase, 'You can't win without running,' former offensive lineman Ross Tucker can't deny the evidence.

"I think we've seen as of late you don't need to run anymore," Tucker says. "I'm only 30, so I'm not exactly old school, but as a lover of the physicality of football, it's a little disheartening. It's a little bit upsetting."

Posted by: Vicc | March 27, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Here is a great article FOR the importance of offensive linemen.

However

I would still like to see a quote similar to "we were 13-3 with Bryant McKinnie as our starting LT" or "offensive linemen is the centerpiece to success"

We all know football is a team game and you need players at every position, but QB is the most influential piece to a team.

Great QBs don't become great by only making the playoffs once every three years or so.

Posted by: Vicc | March 27, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

It's a different NFL now and recent/constant rule changes have favored the QB.

Posted by: Vicc | March 27, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 2:10 PM

I get it, you and Snyder think alike. Problem is, that thinking has made this the dysfunctional franchise it is. That didn't start with JC17, and it won't end with JC17 if that style of thinking continues.

Fortunately, it looks like Shanahan & Allen have a different approach. They are going to make EVERYONE compete for their jobs on the field... may the best man win, I'm all for that. That's called healthy competition.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 27, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

The Cowboys have used nine draft picks on offensive linemen since 2000, and Andre Gurode is the only quality player in the bunch.

There have been colossal busts such as Jacob Peterson, a second-round pick in 2004, and others such as Doug Free, a fourth-round pick in 2007, who has developed more slowly than hoped.

Jerry Jones has no problem admitting his frustration with the Cowboys' failure to develop offensive linemen, especially since he has spent a chunk of the family fortune to sign free agents Marc Colombo, Leonard Davis, Kyle Kosier and Marco Rivera to long-term deals over the last few seasons.

That's not a good way to consistently conduct business.

Perhaps the key to success rests with Stephen Peterman, a third-round pick in 2004. He has started 27 games for Detroit the last two seasons.

Peterman is an average player. You can win with average guards, although we all know the Lions went winless last season. A lot of teams sign average guards. And it's even easier if you have average guards lining up next to a star center.

Maybe Jones was spoiled by the success of the early '90s, believing he needed a line filled with stars. Sometimes, the running back or quarterback has to make a play when there's a breakdown.

`

Since Troy Aikman retired, it seems to me the Cowboys were struggling to find wins with Quincy Carter, Drew Bledsoe, Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson etc playing QB.

Then all of the sudden Tony Romo steps in and...the Cowboys have been winning ever since.

Posted by: Vicc | March 27, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

NCAA strokes the Network?
From the Kansas City Star:

Kansas City Star

Posted by: cliftonbiz | March 27, 2010 12:57 PM |

But you keep crying little baby!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 27, 2010 1:47 PM

==================
After watching Duke for, admittedly the first time last night,...anyone else notice the lack of diversity on the team?
Thought I was watching old NBA clips from the 60's.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 2:10 PM

Posted by: Alan4 | March 27, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse
====================
guess JC has had a change of heart about competition.... Last year he wanted to be traded if the Skins acquired Sanchez.
Or maybe it doesnt say much about Grossman.. haha

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | March 27, 2010 2:22 PM

Depends on whose definition of great your using. Sonny Jurgenson made the Hall of Fame having played in exactly one playoff game--the last game of his career.

I guess some people judge QBs by the circumstances they're in, not just wins and losses!

Posted by: Alan4 | March 27, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Reading those PFT posts about McNabb to the Raiders... Boy wouldn't it be great if we traded JC to them for CB Nnamdi Asomugha. I don't see why Crazy Al wouldn't want JC, he can throw far, which is all Al wants. Then we get a legit FS and we've probably got a sick D. Even sicker if we end up taking one of the monster DT's at #4 (not that that's what we need the most at that slot).

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 27, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Plus we could trade whiny Charlos for some pick (a 4?), and grab another Oliner prospect or... whatever.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 27, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 27, 2010 2:36 PM

Most NCAA teams lack "diversity." How many white guys you see starting for Georgetown?

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Flounder and LS,

Did you guys go to Duke?

Posted by: p1funk | March 27, 2010 12:51 PM |

p1,

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 27, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Here it is.

The meek and humble mea culpa as to why someone who has no actual affiliation with Duke is one of its loyal followers.

So Duke thought it was too rich and priveleged for the likes of you, and yet you'll still jump at the opportunity to shine Coach Kreyeuwuxusutuyutjkie's shoes?

What if you aren't good enough for that either?

Will you stand outside the lockerroom and ask for Singler's sweaty sock to sniff on your way back to UNC Charlotte?

Have some self-respect and just pull for those 49ers...that is if they can ever make the tourney again.

Now is LEague Source out there?

C'mon, LS, did you actually go to Duke?

Or do you have some sad-sack story as to why you're ready to do Scheyer's laundry and yet have no actual affiliation with the school - let's hear it.

Posted by: p1funk | March 27, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Prior years mock draft analysis comparisons

2009

Calvin Johnson.....Calvin Johnson
Brady Quinn........Joe Thomas
Gaines Adams.......Gaines Adams
Joe Thomas.........Levi Brown

So not a 100% accurate predictor but close

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 27, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, LS, did you actually go to Duke?

Posted by: p1funk | March 27, 2010 3:39 PM

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Hall has a big mouth, but not the defensive skills to back it up. He got fired from Oakland, like 3 months after signing a big
contract. When does that kind of thing happen to a good player.
The last two years players could lay blame on danny, vinnie..and the disorganized coaching staff. VINNIE IS GONE..DANNY IS MINDING HIS OWN BUSINESS, THE TEAM HAS A GOOD COACH, AND A REAL GM. SO..THE PLAYERS ARE PRETTY MUCH OUT OF EXCUSES.
As for kick returners..there are some really fast kids who returned kicks at some of the smaller schools. The team should be
able to find a couple of them to bring to camp.
If they draft anyone other than an O tackle with the first pick..we know things won`t be getting better new coach or not.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | March 27, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, LS, did you actually go to Duke?

Posted by: p1funk | March 27, 2010 3:39 PM

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if that's better or worse than FLound's situation.

So when you were at Georgia Tech, and Tech was playing Duke in b-ball. Who were you pulling for?

Where you always a closet Dukie even thought you went to another ACC school?

Or did you just go full-fledged turncoat after you graduated?

Please, do divulge...

Posted by: p1funk | March 27, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

funk--When I was at Georgia Tech it didn't play Duke. Tech was still in the SEC. We played Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, LSU. I'm not sure if we even played basketball in those days. No one cared. Duke won my loyalty when they offered me a graduate fellowship so large that I left the school with more money than I had when I entered.

Posted by: League-Source | March 27, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

good article JReid. I'm usually the first one to criticize your reporting because you typically just repost what other reporters have found, but you actually called/texted players for direct, 1st person quotes. I actually feel like this is a legitimate "Insider" column!

Keep 'em coming!

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | March 27, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Typical front-running dog...errr...Dookie.

Yeah, we know, you got an Ivy-League-wannabe education at an overpriced southern school. For revenge the rest of us is to have to watch your hair-dying coach with the platform shoes. And, all the while, you guys cry because no one loves you. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

When you came up here a couple of weeks ago, you got punked. And, yeah, Dookie, it still tastes good.

Posted by: outraged11 | March 27, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what changes there are. The only change I'm looking for is the one that matters. WINS. Forget all this "HYPE", I'm not giving anyone any credit until there's a good product out there, until the 'skins are competitive in the NFC East, until the 'skins are feared to play against in the NFL, until they're a playoff contender. Go 'skins!

Posted by: harbirsingh | March 27, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

"I think that coaches like players who can play their position better than the other guys on the roster. Ross, the Rooster, was always at the end of the roster. He wants to say it was because he was smarter than his coaches?Posted by: League-Source"

LOL there's always that. But the two aren't mutually exclusive -- you can be a mediocre talent who also gets disrespected because you played at an Ivy League school. Like DeMarcus Cousins said the other day: 'this ain't a reading challenge.'

Here's Tucker's bonafides:
Played for the Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots and Cleveland Browns. Retired in 2008 due to a neck injury. Played in 42 games in his 7-year NFL career, starting 24.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 28, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

"I don't care what changes there are. The only change I'm looking for is the one that matters. WINS."

That's all most fans ever look for in sports. Irony is, when they get wins, all they want is more wins.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 28, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

"I did. I was an undergrad at Georgia Tech, grad studies at Duke. I root for Tech in football, Duke in b'ball.Posted by: League-Source"

try the reverse next season, and see if you get clinically depressed.

I'm a little puzzled by Paul Hewitt -- a great recruiter who's teams struggle. Maybe it's because the young players are more talented than the seniors.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 28, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Here to say JC17 will have a break out year under MS and remade OL

Posted by: onestorm | March 28, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

strength and conditioning did have something to do with washington's demise under zorn/pornographic team last year, this team had more injuries than any wash. team in 30yrs I read last year. players getting paid and many of them did not care if they won or lost, a azz-hole for a HC,idiot for GM and a moron of a owner was just icing on the cake.

Posted by: wathu19 | March 28, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

ONCE, JUST ONCE, I'D LIKE TO READ A BLEEPING THREAD THAT STARTED AND STAYED ON TOPIC.....LEAGUE SOURCE

Posted by: mdrockjock | March 29, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Really starting to like what I hear, but with reservatins. We've been excited in the off-season before. Next chance for new regime....Draft day 1....O LINE!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: RealConservative | March 29, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

bobby mitchell should have gotten the job. and if the reason he didn't is because he wasn't a good money manager, then they should have hired a money guy. bobby KNEW what it took to be successful and how to build a team. spurrier? sheeit. why hasn't the team retired his number? he and charley taylor were the heart & soul of the team when jurgensen was in his prime.

Posted by: dcjazzman | March 29, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse