Williams Eschews Tofu Conversion

Stuff on the reading list this morning, which happens to be Day 2 of the eight June OTAs (today's practice is not open to the media):

So far, the highlight of the morning is Dan Steinberg's mild, quickly-abandoned attempt to convince Mike Williams to switch to tofu as he continues to try to diet his way onto the team. At the moment, Williams is considering bison as a steak alternative. Steinberg writes:

"I haven't had any, but I looked online for some. Supposedly every hundred grams of bison meat carries about 2.3 grams of fat. Beef is double that. So you're looking at four ounces of bison meat is probably 143 calories with 2.3 grams of fat. I really now know my facts."
I was impressed. I recommended he maybe check out the tofu aisle; "I don't think I like tofu," he said. "You know, because it's bland."

...

Favorite new Skins twitterer is Rocky McIntosh (rockym52). A sampling of his Monday tweets:

Yo first ota done

It was fun , time to go to six flags and ride batman and superman about 10 times straight!!!!!!!! Each

[To a question on the Miami Hurricanes and his contract situation:]

naw bro I'm a hurricane 4life...... I luv the skins but this is a business now they might not want me after awhile.......

it's my last yr and I still haven't receive a new deal so that's your answer

Im gonna ball for my team and my fans though....without a new deal....on another note maybe after getting sea sick on the rides I can skip

Practice tomorrow yesssssddd

Just got home from six flags great event lots of fans to everybody thanks for showing up and having a good time

More ota's in da morning don't think I'm gonna get out or maybe I will :)

...

Over at the Bleacher Report, Scotty Kimberly's rankings of NFL running backs was interesting, particularly since he places the Redskins last among NFC East teams. He rates the Skins 11th overall among NFL teams, with Dallas ninth, the New York Giants seventh and Philadelphia fifth. These offseason lists can be silly, but no sillier than your average sports-bar discussion on the NFL in early June. What's your take on the RB rankings?

By Cindy Boren  |  June 2, 2009; 8:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Search for Jansen's Replacement Begins
Next: Don't Look for Thomas until Training Camp

Comments

I really hope the impending disaster at O-line doesn't run Zorn and Campbell out of town. I have a feeling that another 8-8 finish because our O-line can't succeed in the Beast will be their undoing.....

Then we'd end up blowing our #16 pick next year on a QB.....

I really hope we at least hold it together enough to make the playoffs and keep those 2.... then spend our ENTIRE draft on O-line... as well as a couple FA pickups.

I think this might be the last stand for Buges, Samuels, Rabach, and Thomas. Gonna be a changing of the guard on the line next year I think... I hope.

And for the record, Tofu is good. You cook it up with taco sauce and it tastes just like regular tacos.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 2, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I would have to put Philly last they have no running game. Westbrook sux getting the ball handed to him. He's at his best in a screen.

Posted by: clark202 | June 2, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

That cat ranked the redskins behind everyone else in the NFC East?? I mean, everyone has a right to their opinion, but that doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Sure philly has Westbrook, but then who? Dallas has Barber, but then who? And NY just lost ward, and their main guy has a hard time staying healthy, but sure, the Redskins are the worst of the lot.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

dadgummit, did I bust this thing??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 2, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I think the thing to consider is that this guy is ranking running backs and not rushing attacks. So it's not to far a stretch to have a ranking of Westbrook, Jacobs, Barber, Portis. IMO I like Portis over Barber. One interesting thing if you look at this list, every NFC East has two Rb listed except the Skins. Even Philly has a rookie RB. What's up with that?

Posted by: TWISI | June 2, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Bean - you could also say we have CP, and then who? Betts hasn't done anything in a couple years. And would you rank CP that much higher than Jacobs, Westbrook, and Barber at this point, if at all?

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 2, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

The fact that betts isn't even listed, yet has rushed for over 1000 yards in a season, makes that list laughable. Has barber gone over 1000 yards in a season yet??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 2, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Not sure about Barber. I think CP is ahead of him. But this isn't the running game we had 2-3 years ago when CP was in his prime and Betts was also beasting. Betts isn't good for much anymore and CP has probably peaked.

Skins need a compliment speed back.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 2, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Bean - You're eyes are blinded. We are held back in the rankings due to one person. LAdell Betts. Insert Mason, take out Betts, and BAM. Top 5 rating.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 2, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I could use a beer

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Betts isn't good for much anymore

Could not agree less. Lets actually use the guy, instead of wearing portis out, and see what happens. Don't just give him 5 carries a game, give him legit carries, 10-15, and see how he does. If zorn learned anything from last year, hopefully one of the things he learned was not to overload Portis so much

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 2, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain to me what is the appeal of this Steinberg guy?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"The season went so bad the second half, I was like, 'Man, I'll do something different. I'll cut my hair to get all the bad funk off me,'" Moss said.

Do this include the "Hammy Funk"?

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 2, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain to me what is the appeal of this Steinberg guy?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Because unlike those of us who post up here. He is funny, and has mastered being critical of teams while being a home boy.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I agree Portis should be spelled more, but when Betts was in last year he wasn't doing much. Run straight into the line, wasn't breaking tackles... big fumbles (Seattle). 3 yards a carry. Certainly not like his 1000 yard year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 2, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Um -- Portis was a reserve NFC pro bowl running back last year.

Did any of the other NFC East teams have a pro bowl running back?

Nope...

Posted by: siris | June 2, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

ryp, agreed, but he needs more than 3 carries a game to get into some type of groove. Throw him the ball a bunch, get him involved, the more they utilize him the more fresh portis is throughout the year. It just seems easy to me.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 2, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Change up the topic for a sec. I have complete my goal of trying 25 new beers for the year *now at 28. Here is what I tried and enjoyed.

1. Shock Top Belgian White Beer 7/10
24. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale 7/10
25. Rogue Shakespeare Stout 7/10
26. Rogue Morimoto Soba Ale 4/10
27. Flying Dog Pale Ale 6/10
28. Youngs Double Chocolate Stout 6/10

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

beeps, keep up with us. They're coming fast and furious.

Posted by: frediefritz | June 2, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Put MWil on Tofu and watch his man-teats expand like balloons. Do you know the amount of extra estrogen that stuff makes a man produce?! It's obscene.

It's not the RBs that are important. It's the line... (it's the economy, stoopit!)

And can you imagine, say, Sam Huff back in the day talking about going to ride a roller-coaster?! in PUBLIC?!?

Sounds like Rocky's on the tofu, too.

Our management better start figuring out how to get players on the same page. 'Cause as it stands now, we're going to get trampeled!

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse