Suisham on Special Teams (and a Special Delivery)

This week, Comcast's Russ Thaler is doing a five-part series of interviews with Redskins players and kicker Shaun Suisham was up last night. He talked about special teams and, on a personal note, the birth of his daughter.

On Monday, Thaler interviewed Renaldo Wynn. Washington Post Live airs nightly on Comcast SportsNet at 5 p.m. (and 11:30) and, of course, up here.

By Cindy Boren  |  April 1, 2009; 8:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Westbrook Makes a Bully Appearance on MTV
Next: Position Battle: Nickel Corner

Comments

Let me be the FIRST to congratulate him!

Posted by: Wemiss21 | April 1, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Commiecast needs more guts in their reporting cant we just ask.
Why do you think you were the worst kicker in the NFL? They also need to stop letting Larry Michael on the air, that man has a voice for silent film.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 1, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey Guys, any word on the Cutler/Shanahan situation? PFT is reporting that Snyder has already met with Shanahan back in January.

Any word from your "sources"?

Posted by: RolloverTomasi1 | April 1, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Gweez once again Cutler been in the same system for 3 years. Now that the system and coach is being change he wants out. What makes you think he not going to do the same here? JC have been thru 3-4 system and as many coaches and his numbers are better.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | April 1, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Mathew,

We must have a different idea of what a franchise QB is. I can name maybe 1 or 2 guys in the history of the NFL that became a good not great QB at 28 or older after 4 or 5 years in the league.

How many times has JC led us back from behind in the 4th quarter? How many times has he made plays with his arm to keep a play alive? More times than not he's failed. I'd rather go have a beer with JC over Cutler any day of the week but ultimately he hasn't shown himself to be anything other than a game manager.

Posted by: Gweez | April 1, 2009 9:56 AM

Gweez,

Campbell is 27 until New years - 2010. Cutler is 26 at the end of April.
Campbell - 5th year in league (Note - DNP in first season.. has played in 36 total games, compared to Cutler's 37.)

Both of these guys are very comparable and are pretty much at the same spot in their careers.

Every time I watch the skins I love what I see in Jason Campbell. Jay Cutler is exciting but after all of the boo-who BS I see that Campbell is much more the QB I want leading my team.

Posted by: matthewvickers | April 1, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

good stuff on buzbee, count me among those who hope this kid can bring the goods this year....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 1, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

i disagree with psp but he stays true to what he believes so i can respect that but brown your statement was one giant contradiction! wtf! you cant play on both sides the fence

Posted by: all_this_bs | April 1, 2009 9:46 AM

I guess I asked for this since I fed the troll this morning...

Let me clarify my position: I don't care who's coach or quarterback -- as long as Vinny is running the show, this team is cooked. I don't want Cutler here, but if you're making a move for Shanahan then he's gonna want to bring in his own QB anyway. Getting the guy he wants NOW makes sense. However, getting Cutler to supplant Campbell is moot if Zorn is HC. Lateral move. Which I'm against. Not worth the picks assuredly associated with a trade. So let me break it down for you in simple terms you can understand:

Zorn + Cutler = no likey
Shanahan + Cutler = likey better

Now, have you gotten the name calling out of your system or are you going back to the Caps Lock Lunacy?

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know what Shanahans record is against the NFC EAST?

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Anybody who wants to see a trade for Cutler is displaying a Snyder mentality. How far has that gotten us?

Does anyone honestly think that Denver would not demand our first round pick?

Posted by: Salinas1 | April 1, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Edvar,
I would have to look it up again but think that Cutlers # against the NFC are much less impressive.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 1, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I think Cutler's better than JC but not so much so that it'd be worth crippling the team to get him.

Posted by: skinswest | April 1, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Mentally tough under Gibbs 2.0 not always how do you explain all the procedure penalties.

Gibbs was not all about character if he was no CP no Lloyd.

Gibbs had built nothing here but a team that had old lines, and couldn't win more then 10 games.

I love Gibbs but the second go around was not great, he did get them to the playoffs twice I'll give him that. The team was still not all that good.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2009 9:53 AM

Wow Flound, you're waaay off-base here. When Gibbs got here the line wasn't old at all. All those guys were in their prime in '05 and the playoff run had a lot to do with their success. The problem was there wasn't nearly enough depth and the team's flawed philosophy of building through free agency undercut his efforts. That Gibbs had this "coach it not to lose" thing instead of having his guys play to win. He was more concerned with not jacking up his legacy than going out and adding to it. With a quality personnel guy there, I think this team makes at least one run deep into the playoffs.

And character refers more to being a team guy and playing your best ball when the chips are down. You can't deny Portis counts among those guys. Almost to a fault, the Skins played their best ball when they absolutely had to under Gibbs. Unfortunately, that was the ONLY time they played inspired football.

Anyways, that's water under the bridge at this point...it is what it is and it sucks.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone honestly think that Denver would not demand our first round pick?

Posted by: Salinas1 | April 1, 2009 10:23 AM |

Denver doesn't have the ability to demand anything, they have to get rid of Cutler now that Bowlin said they are going to.

Bowlen put himself in a weak bargaining position, he will still get a good deal but he won't get what he could have got.

Nobody is looking at this from Denvers standpoint, they might not want JC17 he doesn't know there system.

I would look for soemthing with the Browns, because Quinn knows the system they run.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I could see Cutler going to the Browns, or the Jets too, someone mentionted the Vikes, which makes sense as well....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 1, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

What would GIbbs 1.0 do?

I think he would go after Cutler....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

brown,

Gibbs was the personnel guy, and he did nothing in 4 years to get the O-Line or D-Line younger.

Gibbs should not have cared about his legazy, he should have played to win every game.

How can you say AH is of bad character, he plays very hard on the field and is the best DT in the league.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

JC really has to step it up a notch. I think I would rather have Cutler based on their performances over the last couple of years. JC does have 14 less interceptions over that span...so maybe it is a product of the coaching scheme and system. JC just doesn't have those staple comeback wins.

Jay Cutler 9,024 yards 54 TD's 87.1 Rating 37 int's
JC 7,242 yards 35 TD's 80.4 Rating 23 int's

Posted by: patio100 | April 1, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks that if Gibbs is still here, they don't get AH is very stupid.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2009 10:35 AM

Really?

I remember Gibbs 1.0 DEVELOPING starting QB's like Schroeder, Rypien, and Humphries. In fact, the one mistake Joe regrets was letting Humphries go (because they felt he was too careless with the football BTW) He liked veteran back ups. That's what Williams role was, and it paid big dividends if I recall.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

“The Washington Redskins are among the leading candidates to pull off a deal for Cutler. The Redskins have a proven young quarterback in Jason Campbell and would meet the Broncos' preference of dealing Cutler outside their American Football Conference. The Redskins also have the No. 13 selection in this year's draft on April 25, one spot behind the Broncos.”

“It's supply and demand, Economics 101. In this instance, Cutler is the only star quarterback on the market, and a half-dozen teams, maybe more, will be in hot pursuit. Tampa Bay, Detroit, Washington, Minnesota and the Jets are just a few of the possible suitors.”

Where there’s smoke there’s fire? Vinny said they’re not interested and he’d never lie. Would he???????

Posted by: skinswest | April 1, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse