Sunday Afternoon H-Back

Let's start this blog with a little review now that Jim Zorn has finished addressing the schlubs about Saturday's game.

My general impression was the first-team offense was out of kilter and erratic. QB Jason Campbell held the ball too long, the team failed to get the ball downfield (the longest pass in the first half was 13 yards; the longest in the Buffalo game was 19), and it was a good teaching opportunity for Zorn.

He essentially said as much, saying he wants better tempo and decisions from Campbell (4-for-10 for 28 yards and a 47.9 passer rating). The Colt Brennan Love Fest now enters its fourth week, but I'm still trying to maintain some perspective here (the Jets' prevent defense was awful and the missed tackles were atrocious), and Zorn is doing the same.

Again, Brennan is a gamer and might develop in a few years, but he's very raw. He is just learning the position at this level and Zorn is anything but ready to coronate him. When he is evaluated on film, the technique is not there yet and he's facing guys who are not ready for prime time.

On the defensive side, holding an opponent to 2.8 yards per carry is never a bad thing, and I was impressed by the way LB Rocky McIntosh and CB Carlos Rogers were able to perform coming off major knee surgery.

I thought RT Jon Jansen had a better game and the left side of the line was dominant in the running game. The tailbacks were superb and Marcus Mason had another good showing. Trying to keep four running backs as well as the number of wide receivers needed (when rookies Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly are not going to be ready for full duty early on) is gonna be tricky.

Zorn said he's trying to find the right combination of numbers, trying to keep the total number of WRs/RBs to say 10 or 11, or maybe trying to keep the number of FBs/TEs and RBs to a set limit. It's gonna be a very interesting numbers game. WR Billy McMullen again earned praise, and maybe he'll be that sixth WR. (I can't see them keeping seven, if you assume Mason is on the team).

Also, with how Zorn uses two-TE sets - and often 3 TEs in short yardage packages - he has to keep at least three of them (Chris Cooley, Todd Yoder and Fred Davis). So there's not much wiggle room there. You throw in Mike Sellers as a FB, and you're looking at four guys there, total. With four RBs now, we're at eight. So seven WRs is a luxury I don't think they will be able to afford, but who knows? Zorn and his staff are refiguring the equation on a daily basis to get to that final 53 on Aug 30. (Rosters must be cut to 75 on Aug. 26.)

Rookie P Durant Brooks was solid, Zorn said. Incumbent Derrick Frost will get to kick all of the next game, Zorn said, with the decision going down to the wire. Also, thought my man Rock Cartwright brought the thunder again, especially when playing through his rib injury.

On the injury front, the knee strains to RB Ladell Betts and RG Randy Thomas are not severe, though it's possible they could be held out of practice and possibly the next preseason game. The starters will play well into the second half Saturday in Carolina, Zorn said, with RB Clinton Portis getting significant work.

WR Malcolm Kelly (knee surgery) is expected to return to practice midweek, and S LaRon Landry (hamstring) should return to practice this week, too, Zorn said. T Stephon Heyer (knee) and LB H.B. Blades (knee) are getting closer to a return as well. DE Erasmus James likely won't play against Carolina, Zorn said, unless he has some kind of miraculous week of practice.

LB Rian Wallace could miss three weeks with a dislocated shoulder, Zorn said, and TE Jason Goode, who caught the game-winning TD pass, suffered turf toe and could miss a week or more.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 17, 2008; 1:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Halftime Report
Next: 10:15 Webchat On Washingtonpost.com

Comments

Thongs!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, anonymous. That was the 221,666th comment.

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Back from hiatus with a first/panties! Paradoxically, I'm kinda happy the 'Skins offense was a bit wobbly. I get nervous when things go too well for too long, and some growing pains were bound to manifest themselves. I don't think the offensive showing is much to worry about.

However, I am starting to get a bit nervous about the secondary...

Posted by: jcabana | August 17, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

...or maybe not. Blast! Chumped by Anon and Cindy.

Posted by: jcabana | August 17, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, jcabana.
On another matter, did you see Usain Bolt win the 100 Saturday? Wonder if he can catch a fubball.....

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Jason--pls impress us and find out from NFL network why in the hell those of us outside DC area were stuck w\the local jets broadcast for the ENTIRE game. I fully expected Patrick\Theisman in the 2nd half....but we had to hear the painful, useless minutia of the jets the whole damn game when we should have had an even half of our own minutia for the 'skins. Can you email\call NFL network and report back here? Pls? supposed to be even coverage............very tedious indeed. we watched tape (TiVo) play back of it so here in GA late in evng so even some satt radio wasn't an option. please get to the bottom of this--out-of-town 'skins fans must watch NFL network tape delay (unless live as was last night) until reg season starts (overpriced NFL ticket then) but supposed to get a half w\the 'skin's announcers........pls advise

Posted by: tab | August 17, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

just a thought...rock might be on the cutting block...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

So is it safe to assume that Devine is one of the first cuts on 8/26?

Will he get moved to the practice squad or enter unemployment?

Posted by: SCSkins | August 17, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell needs Yao Ming as a receiver, or get some control.

Posted by: Santana's Hands | August 17, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

In other news...

Looks like Coach Gibbs is caught up in a NASCAR cheating scandal...

Posted by: SCSkins | August 17, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Had "Lightning" Bolt not celebrated 25 meters from the finish line, I figure he could've run a 9.5. That brother was fast.

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 17, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

If the NFL required HGH testing, we could see how many of the players are cheating.

Posted by: Drug Tester | August 17, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Santana's Hands,

I'm suprised that Coach Z hasn't fixed Soup's tendency to overthrow receivers in the intermediate routes (I'm assuming that intermediate was the distance in the Moss overthrow last night).

Got to be some mechanics to tweak there. Soups is pretty accurate in short and long passes.

Posted by: SCSkins | August 17, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

The Skins have to be somewhat pleased that they're making it out of all of these preseason games fairly injury free and the training staff and coaches are not rushing the injured guys back to action.

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 17, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

colt brennan is the best qb ever

Posted by: the dude | August 17, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm just saying ... Skins sign new WR ... Usain Bolt

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 17, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Colt would get killed by a starting caliber defense. I give him credit for having some moxy but he is a long way from starting caliber. He has shown he's worth the effort, that's all. Gotta say, thomas, devin, left a lot to be desired as our top pick, I've heard a lot of people say that Kelly was the much more ready to contribute of the two, I'm looking forward to him getting healthy and see what he's got. Has anybody else noticed that Cooley hasn't done much so far? Think they are just saving him or is the offense not geared towards a TE?

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Jansen stinks. Every game he is getting bullied in pass protection and ineffective run blocking. He is totally going off reputation and Skins fans seem him with rosy colored glasses. Watch him every game and you'll see no reason to play him over Heyer or Rhinehart.

Posted by: Hvacmaster | August 17, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

That overthrow to Moss was probably intentional as to not get picked. Some of his other passes were high as well. Just seemed like an off night for JC.

The Jets broadcast was awful. That painstaking interview with Joe Namath carried on for 3 series. And the stupid picture of him left in the corner of the screen was circa 1967, flowing sideburns and all. I liked his interview with Suzy Kolber better. Drunk, short and funny.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Campbell threw a pass to me, but it was 12 feet up in the air, and (you know) white men can't jump.

Posted by: Cooley's Hands | August 17, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for Jansen to matador a DE into Campbell's back. They better give Jansen tons of help, when the Skins play the Giants.

Posted by: JansenSucks | August 17, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

On Cooley, he always brings it. I'm thinking the play-calling just wasn't toward his direction. With Jansen, I wonder if he is just really rusty coming back from injury and maybe his leg is in the back of his mind. I'm concerned about him though.

Posted by: G | August 17, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Hope Jason is catching Beckett's fine pitching performance this afternoon!

Posted by: Sox Suck | August 17, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor got owned by a double team on one play, like flattened on his back.

Taylor better gain some weight before Brandon Jacobs runs him over.

Posted by: Pancaker | August 17, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

It was nice seeing the Ravens fans having something to cheer for at home last night......too bad it wasn't the product on the field...

Posted by: Baltimore | August 17, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Taylor better gain some weight before Brandon Jacobs runs him over.

Posted by: Pancaker | August 17, 2008 2:56 PM

The only thing Jacobs runs over is to the trainer's table....will probably be IR'd by then.

Posted by: Rob M | August 17, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Zorn said in his presser that he plans for the starters to possibly play deep into the second half at Carolina, altho he has no set number of plays.

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SCSkins

???

Even in the HOF game, the TD to ARE was a bit late arriving. JC has a long ways to go IMHO!

Also, Jansen is getting schooled regularly, some skins fans view JC through Burgundy colored glasses as well. If it comes down to helping Jansen out with a tight end, or helping Heyer out with a Tight end, which would you choose? Unfortunately, at QB we have no real options yet....
Colt, 20 years ago would be called a gunslinger and praised for taking chances. In todays NFL, he's said to not be managing the game professionaly. Even Favre, if a rookie in today's game wouldn't be allowed to take the wild chances he normally does.

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rob M | August 17, 2008 3:00 PM

Jacobs looks healthy and quick, expect a lot of people to be run over and around.

Jason Campbell will be IR'd before Jacobs. Jansen is so worn down, Campbell won't see it coming...

Posted by: Pancaker | August 17, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Seemed like every time I saw one of our quaterbacks being pressured or sacked, it was Reinhart getting beat badly. He may be a decent/good guard in time, but he does not seem to be ready for tackle yet. I thought Rob Jackson played well. It's going to be interesting to see if Chris Wilson makes the team. Ryan Boshchetti played well also. Our second team tackling in the secondary was horrible. Whoever number 39 is, he should be cut immediately. Mcmullen continues to make catches, but seems to drop a decent amount, too. Also seems kind of slow to me. It's a shame that we can't see what Mix can do because of his injury. I thought Hamilton played well, too. We seem to have a lot of pretty decent safeties. That also is going to be interesting who we keep there.

Posted by: Deego123 | August 17, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Its not like Campbell lost the game or anything 2 drives 1 for three points and no int's yet, thats not a failure by any stretch

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 17, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332

Sounds like typical inside-the-beltway thinking to me. He was outscored 7-3 against likely starters by a QB that has barely practiced with his new team yet. Happy to have no INT's? Oh brother.

Slow is what I kept thinking seeing Westbrook returns..

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Alex, you're right about the Westbrook returns; they were horrible. He looked like he was running in cement, not to mention the dropped punt. Other CB's have played better than he. I would be very surprised if makes the team. On another note, it still annoys me that the Skins picked Fred Davis in the second round. We have Yoder, who is a solid receiver and a good blocker and doesn't receive a lot of money. They could have easily gone with Cooley, Yoder and Goode and used that pick in an area we need. Cooley signed a long-term deal. It's not like he was about to leave and we needed to fine his successor.

Posted by: deego123 | August 17, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I think you're right deego about running in cement. davis remains to be seen to me. Cooley is good, dependable, etc.. but injuries obviously happen, perhaps davis fills the void?
Next year, mark my words will be opposite this years draft: it will be full of defensive players, (all being the best available at the Skins selections).
I don't care, since the team finally is bringing in young talent.

HTTR!

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

From Joseph White's AP story on Zorn/Brennan ...

“Here’s the thing: He’s had great vision, he’s made some heads-up plays, and we’ve had success. I really like all that. Maybe I want more, but I want better technique. I want him to use the kind of techniques that are going to take him further down the road. Remember we were talking differently last week after the Buffalo game: ‘Oh, Colt came down to Earth.’ Well, now he’s in outer space again.”
Translation: Brennan, destined to spend the season as the third-string quarterback, is a raw rookie who would probably be pummeled to bits if he were to play against a good starting defense.
“From my standpoint, I think he’s doing OK,” Zorn said. “He’s having fun, but there’s a lot more distance that he has to go. He shouldn’t be strutting his stuff.”

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

And there's this:

Zorn was particularly concerned about the offense’s performance in the red zone. On one play, Zorn said Campbell missed an outside receiver who would have scored an easy touchdown.
“He didn’t see it, didn’t focus on it, and he turned back in and tried to throw the ball back over the middle to the tight end, and it wasn’t there,” Zorn said.

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

+++I'm just saying ... Skins sign new WR ... Usain Bolt

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 17, 2008 2:25 PM+++

That's a totally ignorant post. Anyone who knows football knows these sprinters never make it in the NFL and are a wasted signing.

Posted by: Bob Hayes | August 17, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Ooops. Never mind. I forgot I was dead and can't post.

Posted by: The Late Bob Hayes | August 17, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Corkczar showing his age with a Bob Hayes reference.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

LBWestbrook sucks on teams but from what i saw he is okay as an actual CB.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 17, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

From JReid:

Campbell did not play with the decisiveness he displayed in the first two games. “He hesitated a couple of times. The rhythm was a little off,” Zorn said. “I thought he fought through it, I just wanted more completions. It was just a hesitation and he didn’t need to. He wasn’t sure of the very first thing he wanted to do.
“I’ve got to get him to help himself with his gut feeling because he had the right decision at first. He just wanted it to be better and he didn’t need it to be. I thought his tempo was decent. Again, I just want him to push his tempo.”

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Taylor better gain some weight before Brandon Jacobs runs him over.

Posted by: Pancaker | August 17, 2008 2:56 PM

Posted by: Pancaker | August 17, 2008 3:12 PM

Um, who doesn't get dominated by double teams? Stupid point.

Luckily Jansen isnt protecting the blindside so JC should see most of those hits coming. He'll improve or will be replaced.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

And a Devin Thomas note:

Rookie wide receiver Devin Thomas gained a new appreciation for life in the NFL while making his debut against the Jets.
"Devin had his eyes wide open," Zorn said. "I saw him putting ice down his back [to cool off] in the first quarter. I was thinking, "That's kind of funny." He was really tired. It's a hard game."

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 3:29 PM

Sounds like a classic I-never-played but I watch with my arms crossed like I know something comment. The touchdown was handed to the Jets by a unsportsmanlike on Thomas that gave a HOF'er 45 yds. to the end zone. Sheesh. People on this site trying to get a read in preseason. This team looks organized and well tempo'd. Its a lot of newness, so 7-9, 6-10 is possible. You see the Cowboys D last night on the opening drive? Terrible. I bet they aren't worried though.

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Zorn on next week’s game against Carolina:
“There will be a little bit more game planning. We will try to put together a rhythm through the week that we will try to carry throughout the season.”

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 3:29 PM

When the loonies are out after a win, what will it be like after a loss?

What are we supposed to be when there are no INTs? Blue and depressed?

Outscored 7-3 in two series by Brett Favre? Man, that's a real drubbing. We're doomed!

Posted by: d-bag | August 17, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Um, who doesn't get dominated by double teams? Stupid point.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 4:31 PM

Osi Umenyiora. You're stupid.

Posted by: AnonSucks | August 17, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Osi Umenyiora. You're stupid.

Posted by: AnonSucks | August 17, 2008 4:54 PM

Your mother wanted me to let you know it's time to go school supply shopping.....we're done now.

Posted by: Giants Fans Suck | August 17, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Osi Umenyiora. You're stupid.

Posted by: AnonSucks | August 17, 2008 4:54 PM

Go back to the Giants website you big blue jerkoff.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 3:29 PM

You’re kidding right? Soup’s completing 64% of his passes even after last night’s performance. He’s lead scoring drives on about 50% of his possessions. Is he a work in progress? Yes. Does his performance warrant your defeatist attitude? No.

Posted by: MJ | August 17, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Well said MJ!

Posted by: Skip in VA | August 17, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Let's just relax everyone...

I still think we would be fine. With a balanced running attack with a more aggressive passing offense, we will be o.k.

I think Jansen and Heyer should compete for the RT spot.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 17, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah....and Justin Tryone is sorry as shti!

Posted by: sicwidit | August 17, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

You know what's funny...We've heard for years from some of these armchair GM's about not having patience, and we need to develop our own rather than pay for high priced FA's...

Here we are developing a QB with all the tools. He's no Dan Marino, but he's not Heath Schuler either. Let's give the kid some time. Let's wait until mid-season to paint the picture. Besides who else is gonna take us to the promised land...Todd "Scratch and Sniff" Collins???

Posted by: sicwidit | August 17, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

***Begin FFL smack Talk.***

John D. You sir are going down in Round 1 totally and immediately and totally again because my Fightin' 35332's and "RB to be determined," will run up and down the field like a jackrabbit.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 17, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pancaker | August 17, 2008 2:56 PM

Hey dummy, MOST guys get owned on double teams. That's the point of a double team. Talk to me when JT gets owned one on one.

Oh, and F Brandon "Paper Mache" Jacobs.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and the ass-clown who said that Umenyiora never gets owned is an idiot. Strahan's gone now, so there goes the double teams on the other side of the line. Now that Osi's going to be getting the double teams (and isn't much bigger than JT, I might), we'll see how often he stays off his ass!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Gettin testy in here, huh??

Posted by: cej75024 | August 17, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Jasno, what's with 'coronate'? Second time I've seen it used this way in the past few days. Aside from my general agreement that those last four letters go great with anything, I think you could just go with 'crown,' right?

This is a case where Denny Green had it right. Dig how wrong this sounds: "If you want to coronate 'em, coronate 'em! They are who we thought they were!"

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 17, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a classic I-never-played but I watch with my arms crossed like I know something comment cyberbully.....

Yes, I played high school ball, not big college programs as I'm sure you'll state. Open your eyes to JC's weaknesses, the opposition will.
MJ.
No, I'm not kidding. JC isn't all that. No defeatist attitude here. He's decent and I'm pulling for him because i want the Redskins to win, but I'm a realist. He's middle of the pack of NFL QB's at best.

D-bag.
Ummm, your name says it all!

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I sure don't want to sounds un-American...however...at what point do we move on from Michael Phelps and his medals...and his Mom...and his diet...and his goggles...and his_____________.?

I know it was amazing, but I feel a little burnout. Thanks you, Bob Costas and NBC

Posted by: cej75024 | August 17, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I played high school ball, not big college programs
Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 7:42 PM

A ringing endorsement for you to assess NFL QBs! What a MAROON!

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2008 6:45 PM

Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka are nasty pass rushers. Osi will be owning and he weighs 20lbs more than Taylor.

Brandon Jacobs will abuse Jason Taylor.

Posted by: Pancaker | August 17, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

A ringing endorsement for you to assess NFL QBs! What a MAROON!

Posted by: Cyberbully

All I can say is..............

ha ha ha ha Maroon???!!

what a moron.

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

A ringing endorsement for you to assess NFL QBs! What a MAROON!

Posted by: Cyberbully

I sort of had you figured to be a bright Pink sort of fellow. who knew, Maroon? Ha ha ha

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka are nasty pass rushers.
Posted by: Pancaker | August 17, 2008 7:59 PM

Ha. Tucks gonna move from DT to DE, and Matty ASS is an LB after the leg injury. Cripes, if we are gonna get a Giant Troll, can we get one with skills?? What an IGNORANAMOUS!

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

ha ha ha ha Maroon???!!

what a moron.

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 8:00 PM

Poor Myrtle, Never got to enjoy Bugs?

Now go get a round of golf in and see some strippers... ON the Boardwalk!

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Now go get a round of golf in and see some strippers... ON the Boardwalk!

Posted by: Cyberbully

hmmm, seems like the statement of someone with experience, although not too much of a boardwalk here. :)

Getting back to Football, I have at least as much right to my opinion as you. I think it has been well documented JC holds the ball too long, and is frequently off target. Zorn himself has stated he wants the QB's to be precise with the passes, not merely in the vicinty to allow for YAC.

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:05 PM

Tuck can play anywhere he wants on the line, but he's slated to take over Strahan's DE spot. Kiwanuka is an LB, who blitzes often. Ever heard of Lawrence Taylor? Stupid extreme4skinners.

Posted by: Pancaker | August 17, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Aaaaaaaannndddddd...I'm out....peace out

Posted by: cej75024 | August 17, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh lord, don't let Justin Tuck and Osi own me. Help, help. SOS.

Posted by: Jon Jansen's Knees | August 17, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Myrtle, have you even been to SC? http://www.boardwalkresort.com/
Your opinion of JC is yours. It is weak. Kid has been in 8 different systems college/pro. Point is start liking it. He is it.

Pancake Mix, your point was about DEs and JT. Get the Swampwater outta your ears. Cant even call you an extreme fan. Superbowl Bandwagon LURKING.

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Might I recommend in your future posts that you only refer to your source one time, as in "Zorn said ..." and then identify all of his quotes. Stating "Zorn said" after each of his quotes makes your post cumbersome and prevents it from flowing, the WAPO Editor said.

Posted by: WAPO EDITOR | August 17, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:22 PM

Are you stupid? You said "Tucks gonna move from DT to DE, and Matty ASS is an LB." Tuck's staying DE and Matty is a blitzing LB, like LT.

Spit the Kool-Aid out of your mouth when you respond.

Posted by: Pancaker | August 17, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

The skins do not need 4 running backs. If they like Mason - then cut Rock (however I think they should keep the Rock). Only Portis & Betts ever see action. Why keep Mason? To back up Rock, who never plays offense?

What they do need to do is keep SEVEN wide recievers! The rookies look like crap, and you can count on either Santana or Randall El being hurt. Example of starting wide recievers if one is hurt - Santana, Thrash, Thomas, & Joe Smoe. Great!!! what we need to do is sign Chris Henry. He is an all star, and would be the best reciever on the team. (Randy Moss and TO have worked out pretty well respectively). If he acts up, cut him. Maybe by that time one of the rookies will have somewhat of a clue. Additionally, Anthony Mix is probably one of the three best recievers on the team currently, and is a beast on special teams. (He had two huge special teams tackles last year agianst Devin Hester). I'll take him over Thrash and McMullen.

Lastly, Jansen needs to be put out to pasture. The guys is about 6 years past his prime, and has not played well for three years. He is a liability out there. He should not even be a back up. Watch the tape...

Posted by: M&M | August 17, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

What an IGNORANAMOUS!

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:05 PM

This idiot can't even spell ignoramus! Cyberwussy.

Posted by: Cyberwimp | August 17, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Good lord, Tuck weighs 30lbs more than JT. Help, help. Don't get owned, don't get owned.

Posted by: Jon Jansen's Knees | August 17, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pancaker | August 17, 2008 7:59 PM
Gosh, I guess I remember you talking about double teams and Osi, and the comparison of the teams at Defensive End. Then you made the point about a DT that will be in his first year at DE, and a LB. And of course as any BANDWAGON Giant fan that knows nothing would do you pulled the LT card. Jason Taylor was the NFL Def. MVP 2 years ago and a future HOF. I think we are OK at that position. Damn, Wanna be Giant fans are dumb. That is all.

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

This idiot can't even spell ignoramus! Cyberwussy.

Posted by: Cyberwimp | August 17, 2008 8:31 PM

Cyberbully always wins because all of you are idiots.

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow, comparing Matthias Kiwi to LT. You get dumber and dumber as the day goes on. Guy has 8.5 sacks in 2 years.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Sign Chris Henry? Thank God you are not in charge.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 8:13 PM

Zorn also said he's been pleased with what JC has done to date. No one here has said JC is a top tier QB. How can he be when he's had to learn a new system just about every year. What I'm saying is that he's not as dumb, inaccurate, b.s. QB you think he is. I'm sure you're the same poster I debated before in the past about this. I've told you then as I will tell you now JC is the best QB on this team hands down.

Posted by: MJ | August 17, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

myrtlebeachmike - If you think Campbell is a middle of the road QB with no chance of improving you may as well find something better to do on Sunday afternoons than watch the games. He has a ways to go before being the player we all want him to be but has definitely shown flashes in the few games he has started. I can't give up on him after 20 starts. You shouldn't either.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

This team will need a break or two to get to 8-8. I see them as 4th in the East.

One comment to Jason. He said that Brennan is playing against guys who aren't ready for primetime. But Colt seems to do better than those schlubs, so even though he's real green, he's still got a whole lot more talent than those who are lining up to stop him. And he can only play against whoever is lined up across from him. Give the kid a break. He looks a whole lot better than Rex Grossman, Kyle Orton, Alex Smith or Tarvaris Jackson. Ya follow?

Posted by: Face The Truth | August 17, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:37 PM

Jason Taylor is a sissy ballroom dancer. You girls have an unhealthy mancrush.

Posted by: Tutu | August 17, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: M&M | August 17, 2008 8:29 PM

I don't agree with this. You want the best 53 on the team. You don't cut one of your better special teamers and hope someone else steps up. Plus Rock can run the rock. As can Mason. The reason the skins may hold onto Mason is that down the road keeping him can garner draft picks in the future via trading Mason or another RB.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor is a sissy ballroom dancer. You girls have an unhealthy mancrush.

Posted by: Tutu | August 17, 2008 8:57 PM
Your father wears a TUTU

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

What an IGNORANAMOUS!

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:05 PM

L2spell, dummy.

Posted by: Cyberwussy | August 17, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

L2spell, dummy.

Posted by: Cyberwussy | August 17, 2008 8:59 PM

Yes Sensei. Seems like you got a grip on it. Jerk.

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Your father wears a TUTU

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 8:59 PM

Oh, no. The dreaded father diss.

Posted by: Kindergarten Insult Club | August 17, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

You girls have an unhealthy mancrush.

Posted by: Tutu | August 17, 2008 8:57 PM

Yeah, and this joke comes straight from the Mensa Improv. Come in here with that week stuff...

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 9:06 PM

I'm a keyboard warrior with a pencil-neck, look at me world.

Posted by: Kindergarten Insult Club | August 17, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm a keyboard warrior with a pencil-neck, look at me world.

Posted by: Kindergarten Insult Club | August 17, 2008 9:08 PM

And I, sadly, am here doing the same. And getting worked by the warrior. Bum.

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 17, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

So, it's a full moon right? How else can you explain the demons that are driving the thoughts of whacked-out moonbats like myrtlebeachmike, tutu, and pancaker?

Hoping the 'Skins go 19-0 this year. If we attracts these pizza delivery guys up here after a win, what will we draw if we should lose a game?

Posted by: Motivator | August 17, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

D-bag.
Ummm, your name says it all!

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 17, 2008 7:42 PM

That's it, Mike? That's all you got? I turned you upside down and spanked you in front of everyone, and all you can do is come up with some obvious, trivial remark about my name? Is this your first day of blogging or what?

Posted by: d-bag | August 17, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor is a sissy ballroom dancer. You girls have an unhealthy mancrush.

Posted by: Tutu | August 17, 2008 8:57 PM

Agreed. What a pansy.

Posted by: The Tuna | August 17, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I wish that guy that ranted on and on about Chris Larry a few weeks back was here. It was better than listening to all this name-calling, Giant retoric. This is a Skins blog, remember.

Posted by: Cindy | August 17, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Coma esta el Truth? Haven't seen him.

Posted by: Senor Truth | August 17, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

hey cindy dont bring me into this!!!!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 17, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Among running backs, only LaDainian Tomlinson touched the ball more than Clinton Portis. And only one player (Jamal Lewis) had more yards after contact.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 18, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Senor Truth, I know one place The Truth isn't: the second RI fantasy F-ball league. Dude still hasn't registered for the league, his invite's just sitting there.

I guess he wants to relinquish the spot in the league that he so coveted just a few days ago. Strange... so much trash talked...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 18, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor will run down and tackle Brandon Jacobs every play. BJ won't have time to run him over, because JT will already be hanging on his legs... and usually in the backfield! His game is all about speed.

Posted by: Siris | August 18, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm just saying ... Skins sign new WR ... Usain Bolt

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 17, 2008 2:25 PM

Sure, but can he catch?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Campbell has a ways to go ... but 2 more preseason games w/ signficantly more playing time than in the 1st 3 to iron out the kinks so I'm still hopeful.

This offense requires 4 WR min. for a game ... and no way Thomas and Kelly are ready for the opener at this point ... so Day 1 its Moss, Thrash, Randle-El, McMullen right now. BillyMac needs to work on his end-zone receiving bit and I think with his height he'll see some action there.

I'm actually on the Colt Brennan bandwagon. I think he looks like a solid #3 prospect to develop and Devine is likely headed to the practice squad next week.

Posted by: Mike C. | August 18, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

I'll take the Truth's place in the fantasy football league. When't the draft?

Posted by: RITCA | August 18, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

That should be "when's" the draft.

Posted by: RITCA | August 18, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

How do Rain Wallace and Jssone Goode stay with injuries that will last at least two weeks? Injury settlement now. Get some other guys of the street.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 18, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

RITCA, drop me a line, dude... if The Truth doesn't come in, I'll give you his spot.

nateinthepdx at gmail dot com

Draft is looking like it will be Sunday the 31st.

Thanks, man.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 18, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

I'll bet the real WaPo Editor, Cindy, actually knows how to spell "rhetoric" correctly.

Posted by: Casual Observer | August 18, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Dag Nate... I got to a Beavers game with you and you give the coveted spot to somebody else?

Colorado is great. Found a place to watch the games... only trouble is games start at 11am instead of 1pm. Bummer.

Posted by: Dorf | August 18, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Dorf! I may be able to do some juggling and get you into this league... the commissioner's office has definitely gone to my head. Just have to decide who gets the boot... hmm... hehehe...

11am kickoff > 10am kickoff

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 18, 2008 2:16 AM | Report abuse

You know the email.

Posted by: Dorf | August 18, 2008 2:18 AM | Report abuse

Some thoughts:

First of all, I love how the JC haters are out in full throat now after being silent after he posted a couple of 100+ QB ratings in the first two preseason games. I guess he's such a dummy and mediocre talent that he's regressing...PLEASE! Can the man actually play a full season before we start putting him in the Heath Shuler/Patrick Ramsey category?

Also, Ladell Betts' knee injury just might get the blog's version of Brett Favre (Marcus Mason)on the team. I know it came out as being less serious than expected, but I think they'll need a 4th RB more than they need a 6th WR, considering Betts' injury history.

I know it's preseason, but my man Rock Cartwright brought it on Saturday night. That 73 yard run reminded me that he's faster than I give him credit for. Plus he's done this a few times before, including a 100 yard effort against St. Louis during the 5 game win streak to get into the playoffs in '05. I still don't get why many on this blog are ready to get rid of the guy; he's a valued special teamer who always seems to make plays.

And F Dallas AND Denver.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2008 5:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2008 5:44 AM

Come on Brownie, you know the blog. The only guy who's ever commanded universal love was Sean Taylor and that was after he died.

Rock? Didn't he fumble once? Guy's a bum. That's how we do things up here.

And, you know, while only one guy's ever had universal love, plenty of them have had universal hate -- Lloyd, Archuleta, Jacobs, Gardner, Spurrier, etc., and now poor Jansen is about to join the group before the season even starts.

Posted by: Motivator | August 18, 2008 6:06 AM | Report abuse

Peter King writes this today:

"If I were a longshot player in a training camp, I'd want to go to four teams -- Giants, Bills, Jags, Lions. Because you can go to a camp run by Coughlin, Dick Jauron, Jack Del Rio or Rod Marinelli, and if you're clearly better than the draftee or a bubble veteran, you've got a good shot to make the team."

Do Zorn's Redskins belong on that list? Too soon to say yet, but I'm looking for a few surprises.

Posted by: Mull It | August 18, 2008 6:18 AM | Report abuse

True talk, Motivator. But to be fair I don't think anyone really knew Sean Taylor until after he died, and I think that most of us really liked the guy we got to know too late. For example, I found out he and I grew up in the same church denomination and that his pastor in Florida is a friend of my uncle's. We all found out he was engaged to Andy Garcia's niece. I doubt we know that kind of stuff were it not for his untimely death.

Back to the gridiron: I won't turn on Jansen, Motivator. He's the longest tenured Redskin and a valued member of the o-line for over a decade. I believe his contract is up at the end of either this year or next and if he can't do it at a high level anymore, we'll just move on. No ill will from me!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2008 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mull It | August 18, 2008 6:18 AM

How's he supposed to evaluate? Half the damn roster is on the sidelines in street clothes!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2008 6:31 AM | Report abuse

He's mostly stating the obvious here, but here's Matt Mosley:

Redskins Replay: Zorn critical of Campbell

August 18, 2008 1:03 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Obviously Saturday night's exhibition game between the Jets and Redskins was all about Brett Favre, but Jim Zorn was a lot more concerned about his quarterback Jason Campbell's performance in Washington's 13-10 victory at Giants Stadium. Campbell was only 4-of-10 for 28 yards, but what really bothered Zorn was the quarterback's failure to trust his instincts.

For those of you who didn't know, Zorn is attempting to balance his head-coaching duties with being a full-time quarterbacks coach. He might be one of the nicest coaches in the game, but because of his passion for the quarterback position, he sounds like a harsh critic. On Saturday, he was upset that Campbell didn't pull the trigger in the red zone when the Redskins had the ball at the Jets' 9-yard line.

"We had a route that Jason held the ball and we had a vertical outside that was an easy touchdown," Zorn said of Campbell. "Honestly, it was an easy touchdown and we just didn't see it. He didn't focus on it, and then he turned back in and tried to throw the ball over the middle to the tight end [and the route] wasn't there."

I think Zorn desperately wants Campbell to succeed, but he's not as patient as he comes across in interviews. He witnessed a quarterback who wasn't trusting his instincts Saturday, and that's not a good sign. Zorn also tapped the brakes on the Colt Brennan celebration, although he did like the way the rookie out of Hawaii performed at the end of the game.

Seems like defensive end Jason Taylor's foot could be an issue, but he certainly doesn't think so. And this just in: I'm told punter Durant Brooks has a slight edge over Derrick Frost in the hotly contested punting competition.

Jason La Canfora brings us up to date on what Jim Zorn said at his news conference Sunday.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2008 6:33 AM | Report abuse

I might be late to the circus on this, but WE HAVE A PUNT RETURNER! Regardless of the CB numbers, Byron Westbrook has made the roster. In the bubble competition that pitted Westbrook v. Mason, Westbrook won. The competition now returns to Mason v. Cartwright. This Jets game did NOT help Cartwright's case ... regardless of what the numbers might look like. More on that later.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Sween,

What in the name of all things burgundy and gold are you talking about? We're not overpaying ARE just so he can play #2 WR. He's here to return punts as well, unless Zorn said something I've missed in the last couple of days.

And how did Rock NOT help his cause against the Jets? The man rips off a 73-yarder and fails to do what Mason did last week (hand the ball off to the kicker on a kickoff), and he's got to compete for his job? I've never heard any inkling that Rock's in any danger of being cut, so what gives? If Mason makes this team, it's because Zorn decides to keep 4 RBs.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2008 7:11 AM | Report abuse

I guess I don't see how Westbrook makes the team as a punt returner, either. ARE wasn't too impressive last year with a 6.6 yard average. But Westbrook's only averaging 8.8 in five returns, against weaker special teams units. Not sure that's enough of a difference to secure a roster spot. This hasn't been settled after only three preseason games.

Posted by: Mull It | August 18, 2008 7:28 AM | Report abuse

And, by the way, Sween, Westbrook's not competing against Mason for punt returner. The only guy who's returned punts other than Westbrook this year is Mann.

Mason has only returned kickoffs. Many have returned kickoffs -- Westbrook, Mason, Tryon, Thomas, and Mann. Everyone except you or me.

None of them has good enough numbers to take Rock's job. Mason is best with a 27 yard average (on two attempts) but Rock last year averaged 26 (on 52 attempts).

Posted by: Mull It | August 18, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Special teamers look like this:

KR: Rock Cartwright
PR: Antwaan Randle-El
KOS: Shaun Suisham
K: Shaun Suisham
P: Durant Brooks

Barring injury, I can't see it any other way.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Motivator | August 18, 2008 6:06 AM

Jansen should retire now, before someone gets hurt.

Posted by: Father Time | August 18, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Jansen should retire now, before someone gets hurt.

Posted by: Father Time | August 18, 2008 8:27 AM

Honey, I told you about making sweeping proclamations before the season starts. Now get outside and cut the grass.

Posted by: Mother Time | August 18, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

That wasn't me at 10:12 p.m. and I can prove it: rhetoric.
Also, I would never tell you guys what you can talk about up here, unless it's a violation of Post guidelines.

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

What's wrong with Jansen? He's got a 91 Madden rating, what more do you people want?

Posted by: Dan Snyder | August 18, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I think it's obvious that if you're hating on Marcus Mason, then you're not currently living in the DMV... or at least the part that matters. Everyone from local bars to hick fans to talking heads on the radio is talking about this guy. The question isn't are they keeping Mason. But more like, who's going, Betts or Cartwright?

I don't understand why Betts and Cartwright aren't expendable. Betts? Okay I understand he filled in nicely for Portis in 2006, but the love affair with him is from TWO years ago. He did 'ish last year. Cartwright? Dude has played nothing but special teams his ENTIRE career, but he gets shown Riggo love? Yes, the guy can return kicks, but I think that Rocks's 26 per return is in large part due to the guys creating lanes than him.

Why didn't Cartwright score on that 73 yard run?

Posted by: Red in the DMV | August 18, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Westbrook is C-U-T cut, cut, cut. He's been an OK CB and has fumbled at least 2 punts in pre-season. Sween, I love you like a fat kid loves cake, but that dude should not be returning punts.

Posted by: etrod | August 18, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Why didn't Cartwright score on that 73 yard run?

Posted by: Red in the DMV | August 18, 2008 8:51 AM

Here's why: Betts has proven he can be trusted as a as a workhorse back and a change of pace guy at worst. It's hard to get two guys like that and if you've got two you better figure out a way to keep them for as long as possible. Plus, I think with regard to the cap, it's cheaper to keep him.

I don't think anyone's comparing Rock to Riggo here, but he's a quality special teamer (both on returns AND coverage units) and can run the ball on offense when called upon. While Mason has shown more in offensive sets this preseason, Rock is a more valuable asset overall because of his special teams contributions.

Oh, and he didn't score on the 73-yarder because the defender had a good angle on him. If we're going to nitpick THE LONGEST RUN OF THE PRESEASON, then it's only fair to point out Mason hasn't got a run nearly that long.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Practice has moved to later times this week...they'll go from 12:50 to 2:10 this afternoon.

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

dcsweeny....huh? Westbrook might get cut in the first cut down day. You post was from mars my man...

Red, give me a break....thank god hicks in suburban bars dont run the team...I am for Mason making the team, as a 4th RB.....have you never watched preseason before...there are always training camp all stars that football hungry noodnicks think are the next big thing......this is no different...do I root for them yes, is there a roster spot...maybe....but please this is getting insane...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

The Betts thing is confusing. On the CBS Postgame show Saturday night, Brett Haber was waxing poetically about Marcus Mason and mentioned that Betts could be traded....Haber then added "there are already whispers about this at Redskins Park." Then yesterday the WaPo has an article about the importance of Betts and how the new regime plans to use him more this season.

Of course, Brett Haber was the guy who last season - immediately after an early season game - while STILL on the field - reported that Mark Brunell was being traded to Seattle. Haber was quite adamant about it - and very wrong.

Posted by: Lisa | August 18, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, its just the skins/football equal to tmz or perez hilton....sports celebrity chatter...

Haber = Liza Gibbons....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

you keep all four give them a chance to battle out for who will be number two through the season.

If some team loses a feature back and has **** for a backup early this season you maybe hear an offer for Betts but don't shop him too much as that takes down the value i think. But if a team like lets say Tenn. loses their no 1 back, and needs a player, you can possibly get a 2nd or even a 1st for a Betts.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Almost happened, Mark Brunell to Seattle for a pack of Stride gum.

Posted by: B. Haber | August 18, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Actually who has the worst RB's in the league right now?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Detroit and Chicago have the worst backs....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Seattle has both Julius Jones and TJ Duckett. That can't be good.

Posted by: SMACK | August 18, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know Betts cap numbers? They were talking about possibly trading him on 980 this morning but made it sound like it would be way too costly.

Posted by: [cc] | August 18, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2008 9:01 AM

Sorry brown, I don't agree with that statement. How can you say that he's more valuable overall because of his special team performance. So people who are special team standouts, for the MAJORITY of their careers are untouchable?

Chris, I leave it to you to offer no football insight AT ALL, and just pick apart anothers post becuase its something that you don't agree with. How about YOU expalin why you're waving the Rock/Betts flag?

So tell me, aside from Cartwright averaging 26 yards per return (Which again, I believe is attributed to the blockers more than him), why do you think he's such a fixture on the team.

Mason is younger, faster, and APPEARS to be an overall better RB than Cartwright.

Something else I'm curious about. For all the folks who live outside the WUSA broadcasting area (Channel 9), have you ever seen Marcus Mason carry the ball? Did NFLN show the entire game, or were they just Favre slurping?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 18, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Mason is great but he's gotta go. He's a luxury we can't afford with a brittle LB & DB corps. It needs to be 26 defense & 24 offense. With Rock you get a kick returner too, so it's a 2-for-1 deal which is major point that affects Mason in the RB scheme. The difference in skill level between Rock & Mason is noticeable (Mason is better) but it's not big enough that it is going to change the dynamics of your team, because this is 3rd string RB's we are talking about !! How often are teams left to play their 3rd string RB 7-8 games into the regular season because of injury ? The occurence is not enough that it justifies short changing our LB's and DB's of depth. I really like Mason and he'd be a keeper if the Skins were to trade Betts or didn't have him at all, but the fact of the matter is Betts is here and I know nothing of the Skins having plans to trade him. It's just a tough break if Mason get's the Axe. But you gotta move on.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 18, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: d-bag

I'll take fries with that burger. This time remember the ketchup too!
I knew I remembered you from somewhere.

Also, yes I live in Myrtle, Mr. Maroon. When I wrote "not much of a boardwalk," it means it isn't that great. The Boardwalk Hotel isn't that great either, though if you don't have enough money, it would do. I supposed chatting with a grown man(I presume) that quotes cartoons on a sports blog, I wouldn't need to be quite so literal. Why don't you curl up on the TV and turn on Popeye so that you can reacquaint yourself with the only love of your life, Olive Oil.

MJ, Anonymous,

Yes, I do think JC is the best QB on the team. That said, he is still middle of the road at best. Quit being blinded by fan loyalty and let's have a debate about the football being played. Ask yourself, "where does JC rate among the other starting QB's in the league?"

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 18, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Detroit and Chicago have the worst backs....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 9:59 AM

detroit's got kevin smith who is gonna have a good season, trust me. not saying ROY type season, but still a solid season (barring any injuries)

Posted by: whatever | August 18, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse