Tanya Snyder Steps Up to Lead Breast Cancer Fight

Tuesday is the players' day off in the NFL, so Redskins Park is mostly quiet today, save for a few players trickling in to get treatment on various ailments. But it might be a good time to put all the angst aside to deal with something far more significant.

Chris Cooley's mother, Nancy, is a breast cancer survivor. Derrick Dockery's mother, Sheila, is a breast cancer survivor. Daniel Snyder's wife, Tanya, is a breast cancer survivor.

With all that in mind, Cooley and Dockery hosted an event at Redskins Park for about two dozen local women who are currently battling breast cancer, the "Second Annual All Star Survivors Luncheon." And Tanya Snyder, who was diagnosed with the disease only last year, was named last week as one of the NFL's national spokespeople for breast cancer awareness. She was among those scheduled to address the women after lunch, and she spoke about her own experiences late this morning.

"Going through this this past year really taught me that I'm not invincible," Snyder said. "Anybody is not immune to this. You have to listen to your body. I'd had a regular mammogram. I did all the regular things, and I still had something that I was focused on, and I knew just something was wrong."

Snyder was diagnosed in February 2008, just two months after she had a mammogram. She said one of her messages as a national spokesperson -- a role that will be on display Sunday at FedEx Field, when the Redskins host Tampa Bay and players are scheduled to wear pink wristbands and other paraphernalia -- is to stress that vigilance is a key to early detection. Snyder went back to the doctor, even though her mammogram had shown nothing, because she felt a lump.

"It's kind of like you feel like, 'Oh, gosh. She's here. She needs attention,'" Snyder said of her reception at the hospital. "It's just not the best, warming feeling."

But a subsequent sonogram revealed the cancer, which had not spread widely. Had she waited, that might not have been the case.

Cooley, who appeared at the event with his wife Christy and dog Taylor, addressed the crowd -- "This is so cool," he said -- and spoke of his mother's situation. Diagnosed last May, Cooley told how, when Nancy Cooley's hair began to fall out after chemotherapy, he shaved his mother's head.

"We tried to make light of it, and we tried to laugh," Cooley said. "But it was really emotional."

So as Nancy Cooley was going through treatment last fall, Cooley helped organize the first luncheon for local women. He said he spent $10,000 of his own money on the event. This year, the event drew sponsors -- namely The Gap clothing store chain -- and involved the American Cancer Society, which brought wigs.

"What my wife and I saw, and watched my mother go through, is her appearance completely changing," Cooley said. "You don't look like yourself at all. To lose your hair, and go through the chemo and to change to like a white appearance, it's hard. She looked very different, and I know that it was hard for her. So we thought this would be cool."

Last year, though, Cooley was the only player who showed. This year, he got Dockery -- the offensive lineman who re-signed in the offseason as a free agent -- to lend his support. The wives of several players and coaches -- including Joy Zorn, wife of Jim, and the wives of Philip Daniels, Rocky McIntosh, Mike Williams and Lorenzo Alexander -- participated as well as October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness month, nears.

"To see it take off is amazing," Cooley said. "I couldn't be happier."

Dockery told the group about his mother, who is now 52 and was diagnosed 15 years ago. Dockery's wife, Emma, lost her mother to breast cancer five years ago, and she led the women in a cheer with Christy Cooley, a former Redskins cheerleader.

"I'm here today because I fought and I won," they said. "I'm here today because I realize life has just begun."

Tanya Snyder, 47, also watched her mother battle the disease five years ago. Still, she said it took time for her to cast herself as a "breast cancer survivor." In late July, she participated in a five-kilometer walk in Aspen, Colo., where she and her husband have a home. There, it hit her.

"It was supposed to be a walk," she said, "but it turned out to be a run for me. I felt like I could finish it in two minutes. Just everything -- you have to deal mind, body and soul with things. I kind of took care of the necessary things, and didn't really get into the emotional part of it."

But when she was brought on stage and introduced as a survivor, "It hit me so hard. I thought, 'I need to speak out about this through the NFL.'"

Now, she is doing that. And though she wants to keep some details of her battle private, she said she is healthy and ready to get the word out, both locally and nationally.
"I'm doing great," she said. "I had my surgeries, and I'm healthy as I've ever been."

By Barry Svrluga  |  September 29, 2009; 12:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cartwright Waits for the Rock
Next: Redskins' Plane in Colorado, but Not for Shanahan

Comments

This is an unequivocally good thing attached to the Snyder name. And they said it couldn't be done!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Ahem... the fight is the unequivocally good thing, not the disease itself... just so we're clear.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

How about bringing in Doug Williams to run the front office. He's currently Director of Pro Personnel in Tampa.

A link to the past with a move forward.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | September 29, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like the fight was lead by Cooley and Dockery, not Snyder. He's still a little attention seaking meddling egomaniac.

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is 44 and it was just last year he realized he wasn't invincible? Welcome to earth.

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

moose, really........come on......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

The recent NYT article about this did humanize the Snyders for me.

Real life/Football insanity separation should be be maintained.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 29, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

kudos

Posted by: mhaslup1 | September 29, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm happy they are doing something for the cause and I really hope Snyder's wife, along with the other people mentioned beat it, I truly do. But it doesn't change the way I feel about Danny.

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Moose, ease up, man, that quote was from Mrs. Snyder, not Mr. Snyder.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

fine, not saying you're not entitled to that opinion, but have the smallest amount of class, and save that stuff for another post.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

You're right, my bad. Not the right forum to rip. I'm just a little jaded.

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree, this is a good time to set aside the petty football talk and focus on boobs. Like Vinny. Am I doing this right?

Posted by: LouLewis | September 29, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 12:28 PM
---------------------

I believe that quote is from Synder's wife, Tanya, not Danny himself.

Have reading-comprehension problems much buddy?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

F the football for a second.

All the best wishes to the Snyder family. I can't think of a single family that hasn't been affected by cancer. Not one.

F cancer.

***Repost***

The whole damn Redskin team is outta shape, and it has s*** to do with fatigue.

They've been gassed for quite sometime now.

Larry, totally disagree with Arrington or anyone else for that matter, with having an opinionated job and just because they do their opinion means something.

I don't have a problem with Arrington personally, but him, like Mitchell, feel that they were wronged by the organization. So every time they something negative about the 'skins (which is more often than not, but at the same time may have some validity to it) just comes off as bitter with a negative biased slant.

If it were someone like Darrell Green or some other Redskin great that feels they weren't wrong by the front office, then I'd say that they're just simply giving objectionable analysis.

Like I said though, even though Arrington and Mitchell come off like they have an axe to grind, I find myself nodding in approval when they're on one their "rants".

Especially Brian Mitchell on Sunday.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Poopy McGee, we got it covered. Maybe you can copy/paste and type a little faster next time.

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

moose, thanks, I appreciate it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

mhaslup

"They need to put the ball in Campbell's hands in the red zone. Roll him out and let him make a play. It will only happen once or twice and we will find there is room to run down there."

A fine suggestion.

Bringing back the ol' counter-trey and running the power sweep to the right side of the line would also keep things a lil interesting.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 29, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 12:42 PM
---------

I would but your wife's over here so my typing is a litter HARDER.....

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

From the play by play, they ran to the right, and did so with a modicum of success:

Clinton Portis Off Right End to Was34 for 12 yards
Clinton Portis Off Right Tackle to Was49 for 4 yards
Clinton Portis Off Right End to Det49 for 14 yards
Clinton Portis Off Right Tackle to Det46 for 1 yard

4 rushes, 31 yards...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 11:21 AM

Looks like a sucess. MAybe we can do that more than ONLY 4 times next game.

I'm not buying this CP injury thing either. Just sayin....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 12:42 PM
---------

I would but your wife's over here so my typing is a litter HARDER.....

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 12:44 PM
---------

How is Bill these days anyway?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | September 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

If Snyder sees this, Vinny may go out of the door behind Vinny:

Through three games, the Cowboys have the most devastating rushing attack in the NFL.

Eighty-five carries, 581 yards, a per-attempt average of 6.8.

The runner-up in running the football so far is New Orleans. But the Saints have needed 17 more carries to gain 69 fewer yards (102 for 512).

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

HEY REID - GIVE IT TO THE STYLE SECTION!!!!!

We are about FOOTBALL!!!!!

When the Skins are winning you can paint them as a wonderful and caring organization.

They have a freakin job to do and right now they are the worst team in the entire NFL!

Want to do something for the fans?

Find out what Bobbly Mitchell thinks about all this!

He is someone with great credibility - maybe the most of any Redksin as he was in the FO for deacdes...

Where is Mr. Mitchell on all this?

Posted by: oldnova | September 29, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I would but your wife's over here so my typing is a litter HARDER.....

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 12:44 PM

Sounds like it from your spelling.

I must have gotten married when I blacked out this past weekend. Tell my wife to get her a@@ back to the house. There is lots of cleaning to be done.

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Ayo Moose33, congrats you're the recipient of the s***bag of the week award.

The entire Redskins organization was in the running, and we usually wait until the end of the week to give this out. But with your dóuchebag and ill-timed post, the panel said f it and decided to hand it out a whole 3 days earlier.

Congrats.

There is football and then there is thing called REAL LIFE. I overestimated you thinking you may know the difference, I see.

Dial back your fan-o-meter a few notches, why don't you? That bs isn't called for at all.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

HELP

Can someone explain to me how an uncapped 2010 would help/hurt us?

Could we cut/trade anyone we want since the cap hit won't hurt us? Can we only trade RFAs? Can we trade anyone under contract? Could we theoretically get rid of EVERYONE and start with 53 new players?

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Junior Seau gets ruan over by a bull @ the 45 sec mark.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Nah moose, she's sick of living with you in your parents house, even if it only has been for a week.

She doesn't like having to sneak up those creeky steps to your bedroom and wait until they go to work before she can come down for breakfast. And making her use a chamber-pot so she doesn't have to leave the room and risk being caught in the middle of the night, seriously?

And she wishes your fingertips weren't stained orange with the remnants of your Doritos and Cheetos eating.

Plus she says you've already let yourself go and let you weight climb to very high numbers.

She also wishes you'd put on more than just boxers and an old wife-beater when you sit around on the computer all day blogging or when you're playing the latest Halo.

Oh, and she wants you to shave your back too.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Here is my coaching staff that I would like to see.

HC- Brian Mitchell
OC- Russ Grimm ( pay him head coach money)
OL- Buges
WR- Art monk
TE- Doc Walker
RB- Earnest Byner
QB- ?????????

DC- ????????
DL- Charles Mann
LB- Ken Harvey
DB- Darrell Green
Safties- Mark Carrier ----?

Got a brain freeze while filling out my list.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | September 29, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping for a strike season in 2010. The Redskins do well in those.

The three games played by the scabs, led by Ed Rubbert, were far more entertaining than the three games I've watched so far this season.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 29, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Red, coming from you, the apparent s***bag committee chair, it really means alot.

I apologized for it but I guess it wasn't enough for you.

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

GO1, Trent Green for QBs coach.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV

This is why we have to wait until Friday to hand the award out.

--------------------------------------------

HEY REID - GIVE IT TO THE STYLE SECTION!!!!!

We are about FOOTBALL!!!!!

Want to do something for the fans?

Find out what Bobbly Mitchell thinks about all this!

Where is Mr. Mitchell on all this?

Posted by: oldnova | September 29, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | September 29, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Moose, when the wifey says that "it's a perfect size" she says it's just her way of being nice and that it is kinda smallish.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Rypien11 - You/We/Snyder must have an uncapped season to dump about 1/5th of our roster.

It's going to be hard to sign people though. Uncapped year has it's own FA rules...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh Crap.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 29, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

This is off-topic for the post but I sort of had an epiphany about the next few years...

First, much like catching on to the west coast offense 10-15 years late, Dan Snyder is going to discover the 3-4 defense. This will make $100 mil man Albert Haynesworth have to play out of position the rest of his career.

Second, we're going to draft Tim Tebow, despite his inability to throw the ball, because Dan Snyder thinks he'd look good standing next to Tom Cruise.

Third, following his second concussion, Tebow is going to go on to a long, distinguished career... as a congressman from Florida.

It's going to be AWE... wait for it... SOME! Dan-synder-five!

Posted by: beatkal | September 29, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

No it isn't, Moose. And just so we're clear on what makes you a s***bag: I know how cancer affects peoples lives, like may people, (other than you obviously) on a personal level.

You're saying that just because Dan Snyder sucks at running the Redskins, it's okay to trash him, WHO'S WIFE HAS CANCER!

That is what makes you a s***bag, s***bag. Get a f-ing clue!

Don't try and humanize yourself with a bs apology AFTER your 'tarded ass just clicked on the submit tab not more than 5 minutes ago.

This is a case where you're not sorry, just sorry that your dumb ass got called out for it, because if no one didn't you wouldn't have said s***.

Try that "But I said I was sorry" bs on someone who doesn't know any better.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

4th - but we can still cut all the big cap hits (R. Thomas) without repurcussion, right?

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

When did Buffalo become so hood?

Wilhite hurt groin running from men
Posted by Tom Curran on September 29, 2009 1:03 PM ET

More details on what exactly occurred Sunday in the strange case of New England Patriots cornerback Jonathan Wilhite have emerged. And just because the situation is more clear doesn't mean it's any less strange.

Wilhite, according to police in North Attleboro, Mass., pulled his groin while running to a nearby convenience store after seeing two men in the parking lot of his residence.

Wilhite was a last-minute scratch for New England's game against Atlanta.

On Monday, speculation was that Wilhite may have been the victim of a home invasion but North Attleboro police Lt. David Dawes told the Boston Herald, "This is not a home invasion."

According to the police report, two men were in his parking lot when he "arrived home" and that one of them approached Wilhite and yelled. Wilhite took off. Unclear at this point is whether the incident occurred in broad daylight Sunday morning or in the wee hours after midnight.

Given the two recent incidents at the homes of Buffalo Bills players, perhaps Wilhite was being extra vigilant. Better safe than sorry. Although his groin may feel differently about that.

Posted by: TWISI | September 29, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a big Cooley fan, but my hat is off to him for getting behind such a worthwhile event. Class act.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 29, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Let me be clear, if this wasn't a serious thread... like, I don't know... CANCER being the topic and how it's affecting the Snyder family, then I'd be all for some Snyder bashing and probably join in.

Real life: Let's keep it in perspective

Just sayin' and then some...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I asked this yesterday and got 1 response so I'll ask it again. If we get lucky and Danny decides to hire a GM, who are the potential candidates?

Posted by: FedorEm | September 29, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

easy red, easy, deep breaths bro...imagine you're surrounded by trays and trays of scrapple....fried scrapple.....baked scrapple....gumbo scrapple......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | September 29, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Matt Millen

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 29, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

According to one of my buddies' "Redskin One" (Danny's airplane) landed in Denver. My friend seems to think he is there to talk to Mike Shanahan this is not a lie nor fabrication. Things are back to normal, DEJA VU 2000

Posted by: BurgwithaU | September 29, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The WaPo is sponsoring:

"America's Next Great Pundit Contest"

The Prizes, you ask?

1st Place: Make up Sex with George Will

2nd Place: Cokie Roberts Stares at you wid dem big 'ol eyes

3rd Place: Video of Andy Rooney asking, "How you seen my pills?"

Consolation Prize: The Portable Quotes from Periculum, New Edition

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 29, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | September 29, 2009 1:17 PM
==============

Moose33?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

TWISI, there are 'hoods all over the world.

You'd be surprise too, the smallest cities and towns sometimes are the roughest. A lot of disfranchised folks, a lot of pissed off folks.

I mean, I saw housing projects in Germany for f's sake.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

FedorEm,
Not sure who the official candidates would be, but I could live with Casserly returning to town. I could live with Morocco Brown getting a promotion, but I think what the team really needs is a guy with some seasoning at the position. Of course, I think this is fantasy. I think Vinny will be staying for awhile and the blame, right or wrong, will be shifted to the coach.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 29, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Danny boy should pay whatever necessary to get Mike Shanahan. He had Portis in Denver and he knows how to use him. I know it’s not the same Portis but Gibbs made him a power back. Wanting him to wait for his blockers instead of going full speed. I think Shanahan can turn this thing around. He knows how to run the west coast offense.

Shanahan has a career record of 161 – 108. Winning percentage of 60%. He only had 3 losing season in 16 years.

Joe Gibbs has a career record of 171 – 101. Winning percentage of 63%. He only had 3 losing seasons in 16 years

From Wikipedia:

San Francisco 49ers:

In 1992, Shanahan was hired as offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers on George Seifert's staff, capping his rise with a victory in Super Bowl XXIX after the 1994 season. The 49ers offense that year has been hailed as one of the greatest of all time, with the likes of Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, John Taylor, William Floyd and Ricky Watters scoring points in flurries. His years under Seifert placed him in the Bill Walsh coaching tree.

Denver Broncos:

Shanahan's success with the 49ers earned him a head coaching spot once more, this time back in Denver with the Broncos beginning in 1995. Shanahan led Elway and the Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl championships in the 1997 and 1998 seasons, during which time the Broncos set a then-record for victories in two seasons. He was the last coach to win two consecutive titles until New England's Bill Belichick did it during the 2003 and 2004 NFL seasons. Between 1996-1998, the Broncos set the NFL record for victories by going 46–10 over a three-year span. The 1998 Broncos won their first 13 games on their way to a 14–2 mark. Shanahan, taking his cue from West Coast offense guru Bill Walsh, was well-known for scripting the first 15 offensive plays of the game, and helped the '98 Broncos set an NFL record for first quarter points scored in a season.

Shanahan is known for a run-heavy variation of the West Coast offense he coached in San Francisco. He has often found unheralded running backs from later rounds of the annual NFL Draft and then turned them into league-leading rushers behind small-but-powerful offensive lines. Examples of this phenomenon are Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell, all of whom have had at least one 1,000-yard season in a Denver uniform over the past 10 years.

Shanahan faced criticism for not delivering a playoff victory since Elway's retirement and Davis' career-ending injuries. The playoff drought ended on January 14, 2006 when the Broncos defeated the two-time defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots in the AFC Divisional Round of the playoffs at Invesco Field at Mile High.

Posted by: TheJury | September 29, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Dude, calm down. What does his wife having cancer have to do with him running the Redskins or me trashing him? So we can't rip anyone who has a relative/family member with a disease?

The timing of the post was a bad judgment which I already said.

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"When did Buffalo become so hood?"

Blame the Canadians streaming in over the border.

A friend of mine in Buffalo says the genial Canadians have taken all the lawnscaping, roofing, drywall hanging, and dishwashing jobs from hardworking, but semi-illiterate Americans.

Now, they're taking the work from the boyz in the 'hood and jacking folks for money.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 29, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"PFT has learned that while those in the know at Redskins Park, have confirmed Head Coach Jim Zorn is in no immediate danger of losing his job, Dan Snyder's actions speak otherwise. Snyder's private plane, "Redskins One" was spotted landing at a Denver Airport this afternoon"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

My b, got family that's affected by cancer, family that was lost due to it.

Still haven't tried pizza with the scrapple on it yet... beans!

I bet it's good as hell though. It sounds good. With extra cheese...

psps, should've bet you in the event of a loss as well. You told me to come up with an offer, but I chickened out because I didn't want to root for them to lose.

Looks like we both lose.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Buffalo is one of the most depressed cities in the country right now. Housing is down and crime is up up up. The city itself is mostly garbage other than the Elmwood district and the Chippewa club scene.

Some of suburbia is nice though - Amherst is one of the nicest communities going.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

red, I get your passion, I do....lost my dad a year ago at this time to it...some people you just can't reach....lets focus on scrapple related things, and hope, beyond hope that maybe, just maybe, the Redskins can win this weekend....I mean, dangit, don't we at least deserve that????

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Moose whateves, not trying to be your judge, but like everyone else, you're subject to criticism when you make your thoughts, opinions, statements public. However wrong, right, indifferent, or in your case, asinine they come across.

No apology is necessary. You think what you think, you feel how you feel, you are who you are. Besides, you can't be sorry or feel different about something you posted less than five minutes ago.

Just ashamed.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BurgwithaU | September 29, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

This was reported elsewhere but they also said that Snyder's plane is available for charter and it wasn't Dan who went to Denver. Who knows. I wouldn't be unhappy with Shanahan but I'd rather have Cowher, although I doubt he'd take the job. Frankly, the trend these days is younger coaches...

Posted by: beatkal | September 29, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | September 29, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Matt Millen

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 29, 2009 1:20 PM

Speaking of Matt Millen, did anyone see his really awkward constant man-touching of Chad Ochocinco during the MNF pregame? He kept grabbing and slapping his arm as if to say, "Hey, you're black and cool and really funny, and I'm a crusty old white dude, but we're cool right, bro? Alright, high five!"

Posted by: Section104 | September 29, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Shanahan might be a nice hire, but let's not kid ourselves; saying that Portis would improve because Shanahan comes here is a bit of a stretch; Portis may have already reached the end of his productive years as an NFL running back.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 29, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Red-
Take a couple of deep breaths- and calm down as usual. Of course with being a mailman, I can see where some of the stress comes from..

And by the way- Clinton Portis sucks.

Posted by: richard_cranium | September 29, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2009 1:13 PM

From what I understand, we can cut anybody we want because there is no CAP. So there wouldn't be any CAP hit. We wouldn't be able to get out of any gaurenteed monies though.....but that's going down another road than you were asking about......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

A link to the past with a move forward.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | September 29, 2009 12:23 PM |

Wasn't he the head coach at Grambling?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section104 | September 29, 2009 1:34 PM

ROFLMMFAO! That's exactly what I was thinking! Millen 'over-indulged' himself in an Afro-Bromance a little too much....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

What are the thoughts about the Buccaneers switching QBs?

I honestly can see the 'skins winning this week, IF they make the Bucs one dimensional.

All they have is the Caddie on offense.

People are already doubting Raheem Morris, HC of the Bucs if you didn't know. He's sort of unknown.

I think Tampa and the Rams are the only teams I can say with certainty that are worse off then the 'skins.

And while I got mad respect for the local pro ballers, Leftwich is a back-up QB and that's all.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you a big Cooley fan? To me he seems like one of if not the best offensive player we have. Solid hands, always finishes runs as strong as he can, runs good routes, and he's good in and out of the locker. What's not to like?

Posted by: REXskins | September 29, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

What does Buffalo have to do with a police report filed in North Attleboro, Massachusetts?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Nate - no idea. I just saw folks talking about it.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 29, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I know Portis is near the end of his career but I don't think the Skins will cut him. He is owed too much money.

Shanahan at least knows how to use him. He has experience in the west coast offense. I think he is the best option right now.

Posted by: TheJury | September 29, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section104 | September 29, 2009 1:34 PM

--------------------------------

He was also doing it after the game on the set with, I think it was, Tashard Choice.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

What are the thoughts about the Buccaneers switching QBs?

All they have is the Caddie on offense.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Replace 'Caddie' with 'Calvin Johnson' and this was basically the thinking going into detroit.

I would throw KC and OAK into your mix of teams definitely worse than WAS.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 29, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be AWE... wait for it... SOME! Dan-synder-five!

Posted by: beatkal | September 29, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Funny, insightfull, and accurate.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 29, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Red, I understand entirely how you feel. I get really upset when I hear/see people make insensitive comments that they may think are funny or whatever concerning cancer or cancer survivors. Moose, that was a very ill timed, crass and insensitive comment. I know you apologized and I thank you for that, but please in the future think before you speak/write. You would not believe how hurtful those comments can be. I know, because I AM a cancer survivor.

Posted by: guitarman050 | September 29, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheJury | September 29, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind they ran a zone-blocking scheme in Denver (as they did in Atlanta). It was a great system for Portis as it spaces out the lineman and lets him pick his gap and hit it with one cut, something he's very good at. But this will mean starting over with a new system... again. Have to teach your OL new technique, no Bugel, no counter-trey... big changes... again.

Posted by: beatkal | September 29, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I still can't believe we lost to the Lions. Wow.

Posted by: TWISI | September 29, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheJury | September 29, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beatkal | September 29, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I think they were referencing the 2 incidents that occurred with the Bills players, this year......as well as the incident with the guy from the pats, willhite.....which I'm going out on a limb, and calling shenanigans on that...it was first reported as a home break in, now its changed to an incident at a convenience store.....something stinks...

I think portis stays, however RThomas goes....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Re: Hoods

Barry Farms don't got SJK on Sao Palu and Rio Hoods...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Just ashamed.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 1:33 PM

Really? You can't? So noone is capable of realizing a mistake they have made in that short of a time given the comments posted by other people which makes you look at a situation from a different perspective or see that you have actually read the article incorrectly.

Either you have never made a mistake or have never realized you made a mistake (in a short period of time) to make such a blanket statement.

I'm fine with the critizism, it was deserved but your reasoning doesn't make sense.

Posted by: Moose33 | September 29, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

A link to the past with a move forward.

Posted by: noonefromtampa

They got Gibbs and the fans still weren't happy. How about the fans just start supporting the front office.

A link to the past with a move forward.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Rich! A hearty mf-u, as always.

And yeah, I hate to say it, but Clinton is on the decline. He's like Caroline being sucked through the TV with the voices of Priest Holmes, Curtis Martin, and Marshall Faulk ushering him toward the light.

LaDainian Tomlinson also walks with Portis.

Portis will always be that dude I don't care what you say, dick.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beatkal | September 29, 2009 1:47 PM

We already converted to Zone Blocking in 2005. Yr 2 of Portis and Gibbs to appease Portis......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 29, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

The big difference being that we've shown we can focus and stop a powerful RB, we shut down Jacobs, and Jackson for the most part. It's our secondary that's full of holes, not the run stopping. That's why I'm pretty confident about this game (which I get to attend!!! woo!!!)

Posted by: REXskins | September 29, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Moose33

He's rich. The world isn't the same to very rich people. Welcome to earth.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

But it doesn't change the way I feel about Danny.

Posted by: Moose33

do you only understand TD's and wins or just TD's?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beatkal

If Shana were to come here, he'd have to have control of personnel. He's a guy who would definitely go after the OL first and foremost, so we would be dealing with new players anyway. So we'd be teaching the new guys one system or another, no matter that he changes it to his own blocking scheme.

Posted by: REXskins | September 29, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I caught the Buffalo/Boston thing immediately, but it seemed like people were attributing whatever happened in North Attleboro to the hoodiness of Buffalo... just wanted to ensure that this latest incident was understood to be in a different hood.

Ah, maybe it's because they're both in the AFC East, which includes teams from the four worst cities in America, according to a scientific ranking.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Moose, if you want to keep entertaining this stupid s***, be my guess.

Dude, I thought you were wrong, I'm not buying your apology (Not that it means a damn thing to you or anyone else), you typed that you were wrong. It was a d-baggish comment... I mean what else is there to say?

What's done is done.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beatkal | September 29, 2009 1:47 PM

They need a new system. This current system sure is not working. They hardly run the counter trey now. I would take my chances with a proven coach.

Posted by: TheJury | September 29, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Candidates for Redskins GM next year:

Doug Williams, Director of Pro Personnel in Tampa Bay

Ron Wolf, former Green Bay GM who is retired and living in Annapolis

Charlie Casserly if he was willing to return and work again for Danny Boy

Cowher/Shanahan if they were willing to come as both the GM and Head Coach which is the only way either would work her for Snyder....COMPLETE POWER.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 29, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

God bless you Tanya Snyder:

Now, back to you Zorn:

Start attacking the defense and the endzone with agressive play calling.
Please tell Coach Blache to not allow this young QB from the bucs to be able to sit in the pocket and scan the field and pick his target. Try BLITZING the young QB, try PRESSURING this young QB, try HARRASSING this young QB, try SACKING this young QB. Don't give another young QB the time to gain confidence. If the skins come out this sunday and play the same uninspired; lackadaisical;weakly performance on both sides of the ball, then Zorn and Blache needs to step down because whatever you are coaching is NOT working. Find another occupation.

Posted by: pennstate1 | September 29, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

gumbo scrapple......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 1:19 PM

Gag! Just for that, we're sending you up a bowl of scrapple chowdah, Boston style.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 29, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh, shut yup with your faux outrage over Moose's comments.

You sound like a whining little girl.

I hope both her boobs fall off.

Now cry to me about THAT.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 29, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Hate to jump in.

Moose just move on. Right now it looks like you are just looking to argue.

You posted what you call an apology and Red chose not to buy it.

You can't prove over the internet you are sorry or not, so just move on.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 29, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Cooley for starting this last year, and to the many others who joined in this year. Thoughts and prayers to all who have loved ones dealing with this insidious disease.

It can't be said enough...F cancer yesterday, F cancer today, and F cancer tomorrow.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 29, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

4th, Barry Farms while off the meters, isn't really that bad when compared to North Philly, Chicago, parts of Miami, New Orleans, Houston, LA, parts of Jersey, and NYC.

Hell I'd even through Baltimore into that mix.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

HEY REID - GIVE IT TO THE STYLE SECTION!!!!!

We are about FOOTBALL!!!!!

Want to do something for the fans?

Find out what Bobbly Mitchell thinks about all this!

Where is Mr. Mitchell on all this?

Posted by: oldnova

Here is a perfect example of how a good, knowledgeable fan gets reduced to sounding like he doesn't know Fotball 101.

we're the worst team in the league? We're 1 - 2. You see there are these things called records that keeps track of your wins and your losses.....

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Red(aka turdburgler)-
"Portis will always be that dude I don't care what you say"

What dude is that? The dude who thinks he's so great but his teams have never won anything? The dude who never participates in training camp, or most regular season practices- yet wonders why he runs the wrong way on plays? (And of course is winded after 2 plays)

Posted by: richard_cranium | September 29, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

A few more nuggets of note from Redskins coach Jim Zorn today on the Sports Fix on ESPN 980 with our very own Thom Loverro and Kevin Sheehan. No questions about job security this week, and the interview had a much more jovial tone than it has the last couple of weeks.

The quick hits:

- Zorn liked what he saw out of Santana Moss, who had by far the best day of his season.

"We saw some things we could take advantage of and we did," Zorn said. "He had a real impact on the game."

- He maintained that he thought the Redskins "Were in the game the whole way" against the Lions, especially after the touchdown to start the second half." He also reiterated that he thought the team was headed in the right direction, it just needs to learn to score and close out games. So that fleshes out a bit more what he was trying to say on Monday, I suppose.

- Zorn weighed in on two calls, one more controversial than the other (at least in my opinion), from the loss to the Lions.

After looking at the video, he said the pass interference call on Chris Horton was the right call. Horton "was playing catchup all the way," Zorn said. "It was a fair call. Unfortunate, but a fair call."

He also talked to an official about that and the face mask penalty that was called, then taken back, by the referees. "They have to judge whether the head was yanked, whether the head turned," Zorn said, referring of course to Santana Moss' head.

Frankly he didn't sound as convinced about that one, but it's probably not worth the fine at this point either.

- On the Fourth-and-1: "I wish it was the right call. It turned out not to be the right call. We should have executed it a lot better."

- Zorn also addressed the new QB in Tampa, Josh Johnson, who will be making his first start on Sunday against the Redskins at FedEx. What jumps out about Johnson is his mobility; he ran a 4.53 40 at the 2008 combine. The second year scrambled once last week in mopup duty for 15 yards. That's a concern for Washington since Stafford had a couple nice runs in the Lions win, including one for first down (on third down).

"We have seen him on video, he's more mobile than Byron [Leftwich] has been," Zorn said. "We have to corral him. We can't allow him to get out of that pocket."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Boobs don't just fall off, do they?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

you all know what helps ease the pain of cancer right?

Nothing but sweet sweet cheeba.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 29, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh, shut yup with your faux outrage over Moose's comments.

You sound like a whining little girl.

I hope both her boobs fall off.

Now cry to me about THAT.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

another example of a good , knowledgeable football fan reduced to a know-nothing.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Man, no one can put you down like RedDMV. I always love to watch when some unwitting fool sets him off. Maybe not always. Like it's not so fun when I've been the unwitting fool.

Close second: theCork.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 29, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

mr redskins, really, really not appropriate....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

te, I've noticed a more mellow cork lately....I'm 100 percent down with the new cork....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

nice post.

I don't think it is ureasonable for a team with a 2nd year head coach to still be finding it's identity.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

mr redskins, really, really not appropriate....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 2:11 PM |
--------------------------

That's kind of the point.

It was effort to shock people off their pedestals.

Yes, cancer is awful. Yes, life is more important than football. And yes, Moose made an error in mistaking Tanya's quote as The Danny's.

So what.

Move on.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 29, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins win this week, than they should wear pink wristbands all the time.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 29, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

mr redskins, really, really not appropriate....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 2:11 PM

A weak imitation of RedDMV, like a $1 bill is a weak imitation of a $20. Just wait. Red's typing a somewhat "more extended" reply. Sit back and enjoy your scrapple chowdah.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 29, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Wonder how much money Snyder is siphoning off from this charity event for himself

Posted by: thediesel | September 29, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Every time I read a post like this, or hear a similar story, it reminds me that this is all just a game. It's also a reminder that many of the current Skins (Cooley and Snyder included) have had a lot more that football on their minds during the last few years....always good to get some perspective...

Posted by: mattylight | September 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh, shut yup with your faux outrage over Moose's comments.

You sound like a whining little girl.

I hope both her boobs fall off.

Now cry to me about THAT.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

Hmmm, a misogynistic homosexual? Is there such a thing?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thediesel

I think he's saving up for when we can download our consciousness into robots, so he can live on immortally as the Redskins owner, GM, head coach, and star quarterback. God help us.

Posted by: REXskins | September 29, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Red(aka turdburgler)-
"Portis will always be that dude I don't care what you say"

Posted by: richard_cranium

Yeah or the dude who was 4th in the NFL last year.
Yeah yeah or the dude who is top ten all-time average yards from scrimmage in his 1st 7 seasons.
Or the dude who is the Redskins 2nd all time leading rusher.
Or the dude who rarely ever misses a pass protection assignment.
Or the dude who in his 1st 2 seasons averaged more per carry than Adrian Peterson's 1st 2 years, with about the same amount of rushing yards.
Yeah man that DUDE.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

this chowdah tastes awful.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, a misogynistic homosexual? Is there such a thing?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2009 2:18 PM |
------------------------

Of course there is. It's the reason Obama received more of the gay vote in the primaries than Hillary.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 29, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

oh, mrRedskin you're sooooooo deeeeeep

OUR pedastels?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 29, 2009 2:20 PM |

I think that was because of the rumors that Obama is a gay drug user.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattyligh

Amen to that. It's just a game, it's just entertainment. Sure it's more fun when the Skins win, but even when they lose you can still be excited and entertained every play of the game. Keeping things in perspective like that really makes the game more enjoyable. The people who's mood is actually effected for the entire week after a loss, I feel sorry for them.

It's ironic in a way, because sports can be more fun the less about them.

Posted by: REXskins | September 29, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Ugh...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll second that nate....time to get some work done.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 29, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Close second: theCork.
Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 29, 2009 2:07 PM

In the heat of battle Red weaves a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan. It’s his true medium.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 29, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

The defense is allowing third-down conversions 51.2 percent of the time, worst in the league. Mork calling defense, come in defense!!!

Posted by: TheJury | September 29, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Sorry... I'll leave it alone.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

At least someone associated with the Redskins is fighting. The rest just roll over like my 85-year-old grandmother's lap dog.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | September 29, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

didn't Rock look good, he shoulda been getting more touches his whole career.

always thought 3-5 touches a game coud help the team

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 29, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The defense has been awful on third down, and most frustrating, on third and long.

And it doesn't help when the defense finally does stop a team on third down, then the head coach decides to take a penalty and allow the opposing offense a second crack at converting a third down.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 29, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

beep...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Sorry... I'll leave it alone.

Posted by: scampbell1975

What? Your constant Obama s*** hurdling?

Mf'er, please...

This place will stand a better chance of me not cursing then your never-ending Obama s***storm.

Election was almost a year ago. He took office eight months ago. You gonna be bitter for four years? I suggest if you don't want him as president, you do something about it.

But no, I know you don't have the balls to even think about doing that, I would say you're not that stupid, but it's obvious that you feel very strongly in your discontent over Obama. If it was really troubling you, you'd say f it and bull a Booth, but like I said, you don't have the balls.

So deal with it.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 29, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Karma got the right household, wrong Snyder.

Hows that for offensive

Posted by: jbanks979 | September 29, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I am 100% behind this cause. My mother is a survivor of breast cancer and I do all I can to support funding for cures, additional research, and medication/alternative medicine possibilities. I would however, with all due respect, LOVE for Tanya to "green mile" her cancer to her husband. I said with all due respect.

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | September 29, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

This is nice, but does change the fact that Snyder destroyed the Redskins. SELL THE TEAM DANNY

Posted by: DC2Amsterdam | September 29, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope her boobs fall off?

I don't think they just fall off. They just become big tumors that spread throughout the body. I can't imagine that's pleasant.

Now, as far as Christina Applegate (Kelly Bundy), they were cut off because of her cancer.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 29, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't want to wish cancer on anyone...

I hope she and the others remain cancer free... losing a parent especially ones mum can be devastating especially at a very young age...

Regarding the vitriol heaped on Dan Snyder, I still don't get it... maybe he should stop re-investing on the team... We keep making expensive mistakes... he should be more like the Eagles who spend the least on payroll or player welfare or free agency and get the most...

Isn't it funny that the teams (in the NFC East) that spend the most don't do squat in the season or post season... A good argument to adopt the Eagles/Giants business model...

Posted by: samiismoni14 | September 29, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Cancer survivor here. Often the treatments are worst than the disease. Its sometimes just as hard watching people watch you go through it than it is to go through it. Hard to watch guys younger than you die while you live.

Posted by: periculum | September 29, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse