Taylor, Carter Making the Calls

Jasno is on the field and called in this report as practice was getting underway ...

I spoke to Jason Taylor about playing more on the right side in practices and he reiterated that he's open to playing anywhere. He said that coaches have not yet told him and Andre Carter how they plan to use them, so they've been deciding on their own when to switch sides. So far, the coaches haven't complained about that solution; we'll ask Greg Blache about it after practice.

Spoke with safeties coach Steve Jackson and came away convinced that the team isn't averse to rounding out the depth in the secondary entirely with rookies. Chris Horton and Kareem Moore keep drawing praise, as do Justin Tryon and Matteral Richardson. Jackson essentially said that, if guys can make plays and fit in the system, experience is less critical. So we may see a fairly young secondary in spots five through 10.

Running backs coach Stump Mitchell talked a bit about Clinton Portis and said he has had no problems with his commitment. Any questions about his offseason work were answered by the big contract the team gave him.

The starters, including Portis, will play at least a half Saturday in Carolina, but I'd be shocked if LaRon Landry is among them. He's in shorts now, about a month after his hamstring problem flared up. The team maintains he'll be ready by the regular season.

Todd Wade (high ankle sprain) is not in pads; he is working with trainers. He hopes to play in the preseason finale against Jacksonville.

Malcolm Kelly is in pads but largely working on the side with trainers, same as yesterday. Jason Goode also remains out and I don't see Matt Sinclair. He may be excused from practice; I'll find out.

One little quirk today -- the offense is wearing the burgundy unis, the defense is in white. It's usually the other way around.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 19, 2008; 1:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Cult of Colt
Next: Blache Not Down with DEs' Changes

Comments

First? *ENORMOUS BONG*

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | August 19, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

edible undergarments

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

What is up with Landry? This is just weird.

Posted by: SCSkins | August 19, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

franks and beans

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Corcoran is an A-hole

Posted by: cosmofla | August 19, 2008 1:41 PM

Thank you for your comment. We regret it is unimaginative, cliched and irrelevant, hence we won't be passing it along to Mr. Corcoran, who has better things to do with his time then deal with the pathetic bleats of Momma-clingin' cellar dwellers.

Oh you nailed the dude, sure, but Kee-rist, you sat at your word processor, pondered what to say, and that's the best you got? Dude? Consider employment in the food service or waste management industry.

Again, thank you for writing. A contribution in your name has been made to the Home for the Terminally Unimaginative.

Posted by: Corcoran's First Assistant | August 19, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin. trade for Boldin.

why isn't anyone listening anymore?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

offense is wearing the burgundy unis? what next cats and dogs getting along?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

i think Dirty Thirty LL is saving himself for the season.. i mean sure u would want him out there.. But Horton and moore and Justin are playing good football at the safety spot.. plus they can get them some reps in live action so let greg develop these guys and see what the skins Have...

Posted by: bodega1974 | August 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

You really think they are going to play anyone who does not know the system?

Unless you think this team is going to the bowl this year I don't see how its worth it.
Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 2:11 PM

first Alex, Zorn brought in a new playbook, so its new to everyone. the playbook is a non-issue.
second, Boldin is 27!!! Its not like you bring him here for 1 year.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Writing "First" is really cool. It's so important to have the feeling of being the first to post anonymously on an internet site. I mean come on, it shows how much you sit around on the computer all day and wait for updates. Thats such a presitigious accomplishment.

Posted by: Losers | August 19, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

listening to local radio ... the guy they are interviewing until noon ... Tommy Chong

www.kgoradio.com

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

why isn't anyone listening anymore?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:15 PM

Because its a bad idea.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, all this hype of the skins, yet again. We'll see ya sept 4th when the champs continue their run.

New coach, new offense, same old duds in the NFC east cellar. (and no need to bring up last years playoffs, you guys were out before they even started LOL)

BIG BLUE!

Posted by: New York baller | August 19, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Alex, you are so close minded

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Zeke,

Okay, Cooley Moss and all have had the playbook for 2-3 months now, you are giving anyone who comes on after this 1-2 weeks to know the playbook before game 1, and roughly 14 practices to try and develop a relationship with JC.

And at 27, he is by no means old, but we are already calling Moss and El old at 29.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

No I just don't want to play with this team like its a game of Madden 09

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

100% guarantee a win over the stinky Giants on the 4th. I had to lol @ the Giants trying way too hard last night.

Eli had Rex Grossman-stats last year, watch out. What a bunch of losers.

Also, I never wanna hear Zeke criticize The Danny for trading away picks. There's a reason you're the only one that likes this idea...

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Bengals re-signed Chris Henry. Idiots

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

twigs and berries

Posted by: | August 19, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Truth give him credit though he found something you and I can finally agree on.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Boldin 12 games. 71 catches. 853 yards. 9 TDs
Santana 14 games. 61 catches. 808 yards. 2TDs
Randle El 15 games. 51 catches. 728 yards. 1 TD

fewer games, more catches, more yards, more TDs -- instant #1 WR

I'm beating you like a drum Alex

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

So should we trade Santana, Randle El, or both?

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

100% guarentee? bring it.

funny how you say the giants were trying way to hard to win a meaningless game last night. and how hard were the 5th stringers for your skins trying when they came back to beat the jets?

PWNED! Eat it.

BIG BLUE!

Posted by: New York baller | August 19, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

100% guarentee? bring it.

PWNED! Eat it.

BIG BLUE!

Posted by: New York baller | August 19, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Truth, I have criticized the Skins for trading picks, but who have they traded a high pick for that resulted in a guy like Boldin?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I was talking about your starters fool.

Of course 5th stringers are gonna try hard, they're playing for a job.

LOL @ trying to run up the score on the Turds to prove yourselves. That's how bad a Superbowl champ yall are!

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Giants pass rush was relentless, and Hixon/Eli were sharp. Brandon Jacobs rocked a poor DB. The Giants weren't even trying, which is the scary part.

Posted by: Whambulance | August 19, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

My prediction is Gmen come in last in the NFC East this year. Book it.

Posted by: Just sayzin isall... | August 19, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Why trade ARE or Moss? WCO offense frequently uses 3 WR sets. ARE is a #3 WR. Boldin is a #1 possession type. Moss is a speed guy. Boldin is a great fit.

I would consider trading Moss of Boldin straight up. But I'd rather have all 3 and get rid of one of the rookies and a draft pick.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Umenyiora knocked Derek Anderson out of the game.

Posted by: Whambulance | August 19, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter.

Skins need to build through the draft, and giving up next year's #1 is rarely a good idea to me, and that's not even considering the fact that we drafted 2 WR's in the previous draft and you wanna get another WR.

I like the team how it is, why can't we just see how we stack up this year and then go from there? Chad Johnson would've been a huge mistake and we're lucky we dodged that one. Anquan is a beastly WR but I'm not really worried about our WR's this year. I don't see it as our biggest need right now.

It's an interesting idea and it definitely crossed my mind when I heard he was upset, but in reality he's not going anywhere. And it just seems like something very unecessary to me.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

thats Moss for Boldin, not of Boldin

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Zeke,

When we trade picks for player, they always look better before they come here. Arch, Lloyd, had solid #s and could not cut it playing in the East.

Look at who Bolden is going up against the past few seasons, he is in a conference that has a bunch of scrub teams, put moss or el in the west you don't think their numbers go up?

The only thing you are beating is yourself dude.

You don't make a move like this so late in the season unless you are desperate at a position like we were with Taylor and the Jets were.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

My prediction is Gmen come in last in the NFC East this year. Book it.

Posted by: Just sayzin isall... | August 19, 2008 2:35 PM

It'll be a battle between the Deadskins and Iggles for last place. Throw your book away, its filled with garbage.

Posted by: Crystal Poop Ball | August 19, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

al, its not going to happen, give it a rest.

Posted by: Greg | August 19, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 2:28 PM

He is not the only one (or even the first one) ... a search back to the CJ drama will reveal that dcsween and 4th floor have been pimping Anquan Boldin since Larry Fitzgerald hit the triple gold bars.

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

New York baller, you say "all this hype of the skins, yet again." But you have to understand that it was your beloved Jints and their improbable run to the title that, at least to some extent, have inspired our belief that this could be the Skins' year.

Also the fact that the last two times you dudes hoisted the Lombardi, the Skins hoisted the Lombardi the next season.

So, to lob a teeny bit of half-assed trash talking in response, I look forward to the Skins' spoiling the opening night party in your building, and I look forward to hearing your fellow Big Blue fans showering your beloved team with boos when things turn ugly. And they will turn ugly for the Jints. Oh yes.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 19, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Truth, on the same page as you regarding ocho cinco. 100% agreed. Bad fit.

We still need a big WR. Kelly and Thomas may pan out. I liked those picks (though I know little about either guy) since drafting WRs is roll of the dice. Take two, hope for one. Worth the risk.

Boldin is no risk. But I agree that Q isn't going anywhere.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Also, New York baller, we need a Jints correspondent up here. We've had a few dudes drop by, especially during WAS-NYG game weeks, but nobody has stuck.

We have a resident Cowboys fan and a resident Eagles fan, (not to mention a Dolphins fan) and we could use a Jints fan in the mix. Sharing info, good-hearted trash talking, bonding by making fun of the Cowboys and Eagles, and etc. I could be in the minority, but I love having these opposing fan views in the conversation up here.

Think about it...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 19, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

For all my misery ... and the WAY lop-sided score (based on Browns' flup ucks allowing 3-4 big plays), even taking away that ... I have to concede that the Giants looked good last night, esp. the D. But what spooked me most was how Coughlin/Gilbride/Elisa got all aggressive with long passes right out of the box and often. Fortunately, I think the Skins have a much stronger secondary than the Browns.

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Recruitment Officer and Master of Shabangi Nate

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Boldin isn't a schlub Alex. Its not like his QBs were great players, either. Llyod's best year isn't even close to Boldin's worst.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 19, 2008 2:42 PM

Someone get this man another pitcher of Kool-Aid.

Posted by: Crystal Poop Ball | August 19, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Losers | August 19, 2008 2:20 PM

I like to write "First" on a chick's breasts and sign my name when I am first. I always carry a Sharpie. So, far, I have never actually been "first," but I've written "seventh" once. And I've read a lot of other guys names, some of whom are bloggers here. Usually I see "First! Mull It!" Anonymous has gotten around a lot, too -- mostly fourth or fifth.

Posted by: Motivator | August 19, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

The only thing you are beating is yourself dude.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 2:38 PM

Trufant, Jennings (SEA)
Clements, Harris (SF)

... I'll just leave out the corners in St. Louis.

The corners in SEA and SF aren't that bad. Clements and Trufant are damn good IMO. If Boldin has to go up against these guys four times a season, and is still able to put up quality numbers in less than 16 games I'd say that his production isn't due to who he is "going up against", but rather the level of his beastliness.

No to trading for Boldin... this year.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 19, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Realistically, I'm hoping that either Kelly or Thomas becomes a Boldin-like WR. Prying Boldin out of AZ isn't going to happen. If they can play at that level, wooooo hoooo!!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

The Truth was never welcomed so warmly by anyone here.

The Truth is the resident Georgia Bulldogs fan. The Truth wonders if his view is appreciated?

Posted by: The Truth | August 19, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I am not saying he is some backup, But being the big fish in a small pond, then going to the big pond.. things change quickly

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Poop Ball,

Enjoy the lightning in a bottle. You guys will miss the playoffs this year as the only team in the division that got worse from last year.

I can't wait to see that stupid frat boy look on Eli's face as he walks off the field this year. It goes perfect with your mouse looking coach.

2-4 out of the gate and everyone turns on Coughlin.

Ok bye.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Crystal Poop Ball, I gather you're a Jints fan as well. Though I guess a fellow with poop in his name name might also be a Brown fan.

Yeah, seems incredibly unlikely that the Skins, who barely qualified for the postseason tournament last season, and who have a new coach, could possibly go on the road and defeat the reigning champion Jints in the opener. Incredibly unlikely... and appealingly crazy enough for me to believe it might just happen.

You know the old saying, "any given Thursday"...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 19, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

...since Larry Fitzgerald hit the triple gold bars.

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 2:42 PM

In english, please?

Posted by: Huh? | August 19, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Note that I like the idea of a young secondary. Have 'em grow together and in 2-3 years they're beastly.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Truth,
For me your view on all things not NCAA is always appreciated. But I don't give a rats @$$ about NCAA.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

SMoss 7 seasons 352 catches 5497yds 37tds
Boldin 5 seasons 423 catches 5458yds 29tds

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Giants D was brutal. Jansen's going to need some serious help.

Based on last week's games: Eli's passes are crisp, and JC is inconsistent/hesitant/slow.

Posted by: Whambulance | August 19, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

The Truth, get over yourself! We had this conversation already -- of course you're welcome here, especially since you toned down the ridiculously adversarial stuff that marked your earliest work. And dropped the third person thing, that was exhausting (probably for you to write as much as for most of us to read).

Now, I will say that we never advertised for the position of "resident tireless advocate for/defender of the Georgia Bulldogs football team," nor when I think of it do we really have a need for such. But carry on.

Also, I am going to destroy you in the fantasy F-ball week one. Book it.

(kidding, kidding, kidding... come on...)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 19, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking about our secondary and Sean Taylor popped in my head.

Then I thought, any chance he would've eventually left or been sent to a different team if what happened had not happened? I say no.

Then I thought about how weird it would've been to see him in, say, a Minnesota jersey. Can't even imagine it...

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Larry Fitzgerald got a massive contract. ie triple gold bars like a Vegas slot machine

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

...since Larry Fitzgerald hit the triple gold bars.

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 2:42 PM

In english, please?

Posted by: Huh? | August 19, 2008 2:56 PM

That's the top payout on a slot machine.

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I will crush you.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tom Coughlin | August 19, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I know everyone wants to downplay our success last season (though I have no real idea why..) But we DID win more playoff games the last two times we went to there than the division champs did.

Both times we were victims of travel, too whereas the Patties lost AT HOME!

Hats off to the Gints and I do not look forward to facing their D-Line at ALL..

But I would hope the homers here have a little cool-aid on hand, 'cause I want a sippy-cup of THAT!

Posted by: Dik | August 19, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Truth, Alex#### gets it about right. The red carpet will get rolled out when the NFL adds UGA as an expansion team. Till then, the third person schtick will continue to have its adherents and detractors.

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

The giants looked scary last night on Defense. I could not believe the amount of punishment they inflicted on the browns

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 19, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

HOW CAN THEY BE SO SURE LANDRY WILL BE READY FOR OPENER THIS IS CRAZY.

Posted by: DODSON | August 19, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 19, 2008 2:54 PM

The Giants also just barely qualified -- they were a wild card team, same as the 'Skins. And the 'Skins won the last game in Giants stadium, 22-10. So, winning this one's not that far-fetched.

Posted by: Mull It | August 19, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

2-4 out of the gate and everyone turns on Coughlin.

Ok bye.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 2:54 PM

Ever WATCH the games, and notice how a player has confidence in everything they do? Eli has IT (took some time).

JC has Sh!t.

Posted by: Kool-Aid Flavored Beer | August 19, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

My hunch is that Landry maybe is a little depressed or something ... his mental game concerns me more than his hammy. Of the guys who would have been closest to Sean Taylor, including career trajectory, Landry seems like he would have been that guy. Removing Williams from the equation can't have helped. Landry had an amazingly impressive freshman year. Who knows what sort of support he had around him at the end of the season. Different people grieve differently.

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Ever watch the game and notice how Eli can't win in that stadium to save his life? We should be favored simply because its in the Gettolands.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Eli has "it"? Why because he won a Superbowl and a no name WR made a spectacular catch? Yeah he has "It" just like Trent Dilfer

PS. "It"= A great defense.

Good day to you. Go back to your lame Gints board now.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

This is just a test okay?

Ass.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 19, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Why Boldin. Well lets just look at his first 5 years compared to another possession guy in his first 5 seasons...

AnqBoldin 5 seasons 423 catches 5458yds 29tds
Art Monk 5 seasons 302 catches 4300yds 22tds

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

HOW PATHETIC ARE THE GIANT FANS.I MEAN DID YOU TRY AND HEAR THEM LAST NIGHT. I KNOW ITS PRE SEASON BUT PLEASE YOUR TEAM JUST ONE THE SUPER BOWL.

Posted by: DODSON | August 19, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Redskins > Giants yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Posted by: Redskins > Giants | August 19, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

If I had to draft between Eli and JC, I'd take Eli at this point. Eli delivers the ball within arms reach, at least.

Posted by: Whambulance | August 19, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

There's one thing we can all agree on. Our hatred of the Cowboys. However, ever I think the boys will be taking the division again, and might finally learn to win in the post season. With Farve out of the NFC, there's not much to stop them. My giants will prob be the only bunch to stay close with our punishing D.

Sadly the skins will be celler dwellers. I guess not so sadly for me. Portis is a Schlub who would rather sit on the sidelines than work and prepare in the regular season.

Campbell - has talent, but an insufficient line to protect, making him look worse than he is.

Cooley - the best thing that team has going for it, and if Mr. Six Flags knows anything it should be to keep him a career Redskin...

Zorn - don't get much press about him up here, but he's new and never coached before, or been an O.Coord. either, so the pressure will surely mount for him.

The Giants will take both games. Look it, Cook it, and Book it, Truth.

Posted by: New York baller | August 19, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Good day to you. Go back to your lame Gints board now.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 3:09 PM

That www.Blue_balls.com ?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Nate is right; a Gints an is needed up here. Hope New York baller sticks around.

Posted by: Cindy | August 19, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Zeke, you got issues bro

Posted by: Let it go bro | August 19, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I need to hear Alex say "give"

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Er, Gints FAN. Not an an. Sheesh.

Posted by: Cindy | August 19, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

And, actually, Nate is pretty much always right.

Posted by: Cindy | August 19, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I need to hear Alex say "give"

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:13 PM

You really think you can get a radical political type to give?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm not liking the new censorship crap. You can have words like "Ass" in your post but not other vulgar, insulting, yet less harmful words in your post.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 19, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Campbell had a higher passer rating last year as well.

Posted by: Just sayzin is all... | August 19, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

re: portis

i meant:
Portis is a Schlub who would rather sit on the sidelines than work and prepare in the PREseason.

Posted by: New York baller | August 19, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

though it occurs to me that saying "give" 35 years ago might have been replaced by something else since

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: New York baller | August 19, 2008 3:15 PM

And the Giants would never let a Schlub like Michael Strahan get away with something like that, would they?

Posted by: Mull It | August 19, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

For all the Gregs, Alexs, and Truths out there ... yet another reason why it would be good for the SKINS to make a move to trade for Boldin:

from pft

NO BOLDIN-FOR-SHEPPARD TRADE IS IN THE WORKS
Posted by Mike Florio on August 19, 2008, 3:07 p.m.

Despite apparent rumors to the contrary, we’re told that the Cardinals and the Eagles presently are not discussing a trade that would send receiver Anquan Boldin to Philly and cornerback Lito Sheppard to Arizona.

That said, such a move would make sense. Boldin wants out of Arizona, and Sheppard wants out of Philadelphia. The Eagles need a receiver and the Cardinals’ defense can use any help it can get.

The Cardinals have said that they won’t be trading Boldin. The Eagles previously dangled Sheppard, but might be inclined to keep him for the season given Asante Samuel’s hamstring problems.

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm dealing with a Ralph Nader supporter, who doesn't know the meaning of the phrase "I got no chance so why not ruin it for someone else and let W run the country instead"

Thats why its so important to beat Alex down on this one issue. Precedent. its good for his personal growth.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: New York baller | August 19, 2008 3:15 PM

Tiki Barber?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 19, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

AnqBoldin 5 seasons 423 catches 5458yds 29tds
Art Monk 5 seasons 302 catches 4300yds 22tds

Posting crap like this is why you're a tool.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I kind of liked the idea of Carter & Taylor switching sides during the game to keep the opposition on their toes. Any idea if the coaches will use that tactic during the season, or were the coaches did the coaches just want to see them at both sides during preseason? Do other teams use this tactic of switching around big guns around the d-line?

And was it just me or has the secondary been pretty porous during the preseason? Was it inexperienced players? Or poor second-string DE/DT's? Or was it just me?

Posted by: Josh | August 19, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

AL Zeke, I believe the word you're looking for here is "uncle!"

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Is that just like when we were not negotiating for Jason Taylor?

Posted by: The Truth | August 19, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

strahan and tiki were schlubs as well. but we're in the present.

bringing them up makes about as much sense as me saying the skins suck for drafting heath shuller. old news. we're all over it.

the giants won without tiki.

Posted by: New York baller | August 19, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

AnqBoldin 5 seasons 423 catches 5458yds 29tds
Art Monk 5 seasons 302 catches 4300yds 22tds
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monk was in an offense that had a legitimate threat of breaking you down with the run. Always did when he was in Washington. 'Zona? Not so much.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 19, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

dc, still doesn't make sense, and its still not going to happen....

Posted by: Greg | August 19, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I am just despondent since Mike and the Mad Dog broke up.............

Posted by: new york ballsack | August 19, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Cards were keeping Boldin, so I figured this was all a bunch of jibba jabba. But if they are looking to trade him, the Skins would be a perfect fit. Though I suspect the $$$ would be tough since we just got JT signed and that used most of the cap space.

WR is one of the weaker positions for this team. When Thrash is your #3 guy, you have no depth. Moss and ARE are good when healthy. Campbell does need that bigger target.

I liked the thinking of the Spaghetti Gang to get two big WRs in the draft, but if you can plug in a solution like Boldin, that is a big step up.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I like the Giants OK, but I love me some George Michael.....in my MOUTH!

Posted by: whaminmyass | August 19, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Sween,

Thanks. I had no clue what he was talking about with "give". I stand by my statement that its all a very bad idea, because we have plenty of pass catchers, & Bolden's not worth a 1st, & I think the Rookies will produce at some point.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Sween, aren't "uncle" and "give" from the same generation?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Campbell had a higher passer rating last year as well.

Posted by: Just sayzin is all... | August 19, 2008 3:15 PM

TC took the Skins to the playoffs, not JC. Eli won the Super Bowl MVP vs the unstoppable Patriots, nuff said.

Posted by: Archie M. | August 19, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josh | August 19, 2008 3:20 PM

Skins are giving up 239 passing yards per game, 29th in the league.

Posted by: Mull It | August 19, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Strahan JUST retired and Tiki did it the season before ... both were slackards under Coughlin ... Heath Shuler was about a million years ago!

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Nuthin like Giants fans, biggest whiner crybaby fans in the league....constantly I hear "we suck our coach sucks I have making the playoffs eli sucks lets boo everyone god hates us...."

By week 5 sports talk and back pages up here in NYC will be all "What went wrong" rotating between favre/giants/mets and Yankees....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Actually, F Strahan and Tiki ... lets talk THIS preseason ... Plaxico.

[Also, I agree with Al Zeke that WR isn't a position of need ... like LB is ... but doing whatever we can to mess with an NFC East opponent is always a position of need.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I guess Alex just answered that ... apparently "uncle" is more recent.

So Alex, what you're saying is that you'd pass on a guy who is putting up Monk-like numbers and still in his prime -- and instead gamble on two rookies who can't make it thru training camp without getting injured?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

No one is saying that you guys could or couldn't win without Tiki. Only you...

What I'm saying is you're questioning the heart and will of Clinton Portis due to him not wanting to play in the preseason, which is nonsense anyway. But recently your team had a RB retire because he didn't want to get beat up by the big boys at school anymore.

Perspective. Get some.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 19, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

James Trash as the #3 receiver, ROFL. Trash may be a workout warrior, but no one is scared of him.

Posted by: Father Time | August 19, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Portis ain't no schlub. See you on the 4th.

Posted by: Wise Man | August 19, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Thrash is a place holder till the rookies are ready. Kinda like how Kurt Warner was in as starting QB for the Giants for a while till they thought Eli was ready or how he did that at AZ. like what we did for RMac, and Sean Taylor. You let a Rookie grow into a role don't throw them in and see if they can swim.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Uncle and Give are father and son, rather than brothers, so I'd say no, not the same generation. [Though Give's brother, Take, has a son, Five, so old Uncle Give has that going for him ... and Uncle Give is not be to confused with Uncle and Give.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

"ROFL" is the lamest thing ever...

jeez this Boldin debate is mad tiresome....its not going to happen...reching "Preist Holmes as third wr" levels....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

F The Giants.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

big blue nads

giants suck em'.

Posted by: nads guy | August 19, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Where are these "plenty of pass catchers" Alex? Moss has had a good career to date, though, last year was ugly at times. ARE is a number 3 sort. Thrash? 50 catches in the last 4 years? Were are these pass catchers?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Archie M. | August 19, 2008 3:27 PM

You're a reg, hating on JC, while defending the Giants? You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

constantly I hear "we suck our coach is a noob jc sucks lets boo everyone god hates us dan snyder sucks our team's name is racist why do our players keep getting injured our team is cursed jt is a sissy dancer...." Wah, wah, wah.

Colt Rulez!

Posted by: WhinersRUs | August 19, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

What a joke of a franchise.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 19, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

... reaching "Preist Holmes as third wr" levels....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 3:34 PM

uncle

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey all the props to the Giants for winning the SB and I was actually cheering for them against he Pats. Lesser of two evils and all that.

But as you said, the past is the past, it's a new year and everyone starts off even. My sense is that the Eli of the playoffs will cease to exist and the Eli who has been nothing special for 55 games will return.

You lost two of your most talented players but both were locker room issues as well. It may end up galvanizing the team. My feeling is you guys miss the playoffs this year though. I just think with the SB win hangover and loss of 3 of your best players over the last two years you guys are nothing special.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

At this point in the season I would pass on him yes.

If we were in March thats a different story, and pre-draft I think it would be an idea worth considering, but its way after the fact now.

Saying Monk like numbers does not say much as Monk played in a different era, where teams were smash-mouthing it right and left.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Forget Boldin! Lets make a play for Chris Henry. A third, a sixth, and a pack of skittles.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 19, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone worried the Cowboys might make a push to get Boldin? Boldin, TO, and Witten would be very formidable.

Posted by: Devo | August 19, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Is there a modern day equivalent word for "uncle"? I'm thinking no, because no one backs down from anything anymore.

I think there is an OPPOSITE word for modern day "uncle," specifically, OWNED ... or more modernly, PWNED.

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

cl, you have no idea, its like nails on a chalk-board.

al has assumed the identity of corkzar.
"trade for boldin.....I realize this will never happen......trade for boldin"

Sorry, at this point, it just sounds like a petulant child whining...

Posted by: Greg | August 19, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

We do need a NYG mouth a la Tom (Giants fan) on extremeskins, but New York Baller has too much mouth.

I have to live in NY and listen to the Giants popsicle-sucking that goes on daily. They were a good team last year. Everyone outside of NY knows they got lucky. A horrible NFC, Cowboys and Packers played awful, 3 last second wins in a row, and the last drive by the Giants in the Super Bowl was a miracle. Pats dropped two INTs and Tyrees catch was the luckiest play of all time.

Enjoy being the champs while you can. You used up all your miracles last year. No more luck in that tree.

Woulnd't be surprised at NYG out of the playoffs. A wild card at best, and maybe this time they'll have to go off and lose at Seattle instead of pathetic tampa bay.

Posted by: Yup | August 19, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 3:35 PM

Who cares, I call it like I see it. Eli WON and he's looked great. JC is inaccurate and hesitant.

How many years does JC need?

Posted by: Archie M. | August 19, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Skins areas of need/risk for 2008. HC, WR, LB and OL.

WR because we only have 2 starting quality WRs and both have injury histories. Its one of the weakest units on the team if everyone is healthy

LB, depends on Rocky's recovery. if he is solid, then the LBs are in good shape. But if not, its a pretty big drop

OL, haven't seen it enough to know, but people here seem to think Jansen is struggling in a big way. We don't have a solid backup there.

HC -- Zorn is simply an unknown in this role

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

... make that a box of lemmon heads.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 19, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

does anyone else see the new post but it wont open? Tantalizing headline....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

... My sense is that the Eli of the playoffs will cease to exist and the Eli who has been nothing special for 55 games will return. ...

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 3:36 PM

That is my HOPE, but not my sense. As much as I despise this turn of events, last night he looked pretty f'ing confident (and accurate) throwing deep off a three step drop. Seems like the best hope is that he gets his bells rung some in the next couple of games.

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"you're wrong wrong wrong"...he has the physical ability but his decision making is slow. he reminds me of kurt warner with the gints. he's got to release that ball before the receiver is open. he don't do that.

Posted by: dealer | August 19, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Motivator | August 19, 2008 2:51 PM

First...today.

Posted by: SMACK | August 19, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I predict a beep beep very soon consisting of JLa initiated drama with DE's and Blache.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Alex, except Monk-like numbers are still darn good numbers even in 2008. And Boldin pretty much crushed Art's numbers thru 5 seasons.

In all candor, I see Boldin as a Monk-type of player. As good as Monk? No. But is Boldin one of the top 5 possession guys in the league? Yes. And he is still young. If the Skins can get that kind of guy in here, no question. You take that.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

does anyone else see the new post but it wont open? Tantalizing headline....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 3:43 PM

don't worry about it. get to work

Posted by: your boss | August 19, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

cL, I haven't seen it yet ... but if its got Blache content, I'm psyched. The stuff out of Blache's mouth is almost as awesome as the stuff out of Jimzorn's mouth. What a change a season makes.

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Baller;

your team had a wonderful post season run. But we did handle your team, in game 15... or 16... whichever.

But what seems more likely

1) Another par season with a glorious run
D) A kick azz season w SB win
&) Missing the playoffs

Seriously, a lot of teams falter the next year. B/c you cant re-create, you have to create new, and the media pressure in NYC will be harping on the champs for anything less than 16-0.

All of those spell disaster.

Posted by: Zebra | August 19, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

hey disiht Archie M......your an idiot....ELI got more time/years to develop and look what happened...he developed! You argued against your own point....

The fans here in NYC wanted Eli gone for most of the last two seasons, was a carbon copy of what you jack officers say about JC...and believe me Eli had WAY worse games even late last season (Vikings)...

Come correct son, or go diddle yo self in the corner....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

sounds like a petulant child whining...

Posted by: Greg | August 19, 2008 3:41 PM

look in the mirror.

Posted by: reflection of the enternal mind | August 19, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

CL,

Blache just said that if Andre or JT think they can switch at the leisure they are very mistaken and he controls PT and they will sit if they try it.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Eli has "It"???? Thats the most laughable thing I've ever heard. He did not have a great playoffs. He had a good 4th quarter, but most of it was on Boss's run and Tyree's catch. If Samuels holds on to the pick or Tyree drops the ball, were talking about how Eli is a choker and doesnt have "It".

good points sir. but the facts are that they happened. i hate the retard and his brother with passion but i've seen where shti like that can turn someone's career around. all of a sudden they get confident in their abilities to make plays. the tyree catch, the throw was better than the catch i think.

Posted by: dealer | August 19, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Greg, likening me to a 'petualant child'? Thats such a good call that I'm going to send you some more bonus points. By the way, what did you did with the Jay Schroeder for Jim Lachey ones?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Losers | August 19, 2008 2:20 PM

You know what's really cool? Being the 1,354 person to say the same thing. Feel like a big man trashing other bloggers do ya? The "first" happens to be a tradition and nothing more.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 19, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yup | August 19, 2008 3:41 PM

TB 20-of-27 for 185 yards 2 TDs
DC 12-of-18 for 163 yards 2 TDs
GB (frigid conditions) 40 throws for 254 yards

NO Interceptions during the NFC playoffs!

Super Bowl MVP. QBs would kill to have such terrible playoff games like Eli did.

Posted by: Whambulance | August 19, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

BIG BLUE!

Posted by: New York baller | August 19, 2008 2:22 PM

BIG BLUE New York Ball Sucker!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

... what you jack officers say about ...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 3:49 PM

new favorite term

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Jack Officers"

Wish I could take credit....smack help me on this....but I think I got this from the name of a butthole surfers techno side project.....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Good point Whambulance. Would you like me to post Mark Rypien's numbers in his Playoff/Superbowl run? Sorry but I took too many statistics classes to ignore 55 games and accept 5 games as a substitute. To paraphrase Denny Green he is who we think he is, A decent NFL QB. He's the third best QB in his family right above his Mom and Oldest Bro.

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

When is Snyder going to get his head out of his a$$, and make a trade for Tom Brady?? Right now Brady is injured, and is getting older, it just makes TOO much sense for Snyder not to do this trade.

There you go, al, enjoy.

Posted by: Greg | August 19, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who gets Al Zeke and Alex35332 mixed up?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 19, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Come correct son, or go diddle yo self in the corner....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 3:49 PM

Eli's game speed makes JC look like the Geico Cave Man. Is that correct enough for you?

Posted by: Archie M. | August 19, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Jasno sent the item, then got a clarification from the team....so....beepbeep.

Posted by: Cindy | August 19, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I do aprecieate that Zeke and I have been able to argue this long without going into petty name calling.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 19, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 19, 2008 3:41 PM

If everyone is healthy, then the worries with Moss and ARE are thrown out the window. A healthy Moss is better than 95% of the receivers in the league, including your beloved Boldin. And no, that is not a joke. A healthy unit has 1 all-pro caliber reciever, another starting caliber receiver, 2 potential future starting WRs (maybe even potential all-stars), and a proven veteran that used to be a #1 receiver. This is not a weak position in any sense. Weak would be the 2005 roster which only had 4 WRs - Moss, Thrash, Patten, and Jacobs.

Posted by: psps23 | August 19, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | August 19, 2008 3:55 PM

Never seen his mom play. Peyton is a great QB, and so was Archie. Eli did enough to WIN, without costly turnovers.

You can't buy that type of confidence builder.

Posted by: Whambulance | August 19, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"Only the lowly Giants would manage to win a Superbowl while looking the exact opposite of a Superbowl team."

Wow, Truth. That's the most redonkulous thing I've ever read. You can't dispute the facts of last season. Mediocre stats and all, who won the SB? and who was the SB MVP?

Doesn't matter how they did, all that matters is they did it.

Posted by: New York baller | August 19, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 19, 2008 2:42 PM

I nevr mind trading draft picks for established players that ball out.........

Posted by: 4th | August 19, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

BIG BLUE!

Posted by: New York baller | August 19, 2008 2:22 PM
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Excuse me,
Didn't we make it into the playoffs because we went up to NY and drilled you guys on your home turf in a game you WERE trying to win?

Secondly, I've never once even read another teams' insider blog. Even more, what type of person wastes their time reading and posting on another team's blog?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 19, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Didn't dallas have a new offense last year and went 13-3?

OWNED

Posted by: 4th | August 19, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Giants 37-34 over Browns last night.
Don't let it fool you.
Giants were up 30-3.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 19, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Scampbell - you know what else is a tradition? Being a 40 year old bachelor living in his mothers basement and screaming at football on the TV and posting on football blogs. But have faith, at least youll be able to write "first".

Posted by: Losers | August 19, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I find it interesting that no one is making a big deal about this Laron Landry injury. The last thing I can remember about Landry in the local sports news is that he and Clinton Portis had a foot race at the beginning of camp. Now, Landry is still nursing a hammie? This is not good. This guy is a KEY to the defense. Joe Gibbs drafted him only a year after Sean Taylor for a reason. Unfortunately, due to horrible/uncontrollable circumstances, Landry is our only crucial threat in the backfield now. Springs is great, just not as crucial as Landry, and Rogers is so overrated it's not even funny. I think this subject should be discussed more. Who cares about Colt Brennan, it's preseason. Let's step it up sports reporters.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

"I find it interesting that no one is making a big deal about this Laron Landry injury. The last thing I can remember about Landry in the local sports news is that he and Clinton Portis had a foot race at the beginning of camp. Now, Landry is still nursing a hammie? This is not good. This guy is a KEY to the defense. Joe Gibbs drafted him only a year after Sean Taylor for a reason."
Posted by Anonymous

Landry practiced with no problems for a couple of weeks after the race with Portis. His injury has nothing to do wit it. And Landry was drafted 3 years after Taylor not 1.

And Jasno, why all the unsolicited digs on Portis? It seems you are trying to stir up a controversy where there is none. You appear to think you are being subtle but you aren't.

Posted by: Steve | August 20, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse