Taylor Departs, Dockery and Hall Arrive

There are a few leftovers from Jason Reid's story on the Redskins' release of Jason Taylor this morning, with the Redskins planning a 5 p.m. press availability with Derrick Dockery and DeAngelo Hall. We'll also have a chat at 2 p.m. today, either with me or with JReid (if it's JReid, ask him if he seems to bear a resemblance to Albert Haynesworth).

Taylor was hobbled by injuries, uncomfortable in defensive coordinator's Greg Blache's disciplined scheme and unhappy being away from his wife and children during the 2008 season, but [his agent, Gary] Wichard recently said Taylor was "ready to roll" and eager to rebound with the Redskins. His outlook apparently changed, however, when the Redskins asked him to make another concession after everything he had done to fit in with the organization.
"They didn't ask him to take a pay cut, they didn't want to take a nickel off the table, but Jason made a decision to where he just wanted to be with his family," Wichard said. "He has three young kids, and he wants to be around them.
"He is really dedicated to spending time with them at home, and he just felt very strongly about that. He had a conversation with Dan, and he told Dan his feelings about the situation. Jason really respects Dan, but this was very important to Jason."
Taylor did not mesh well with Blache, who apparently was not in favor of acquiring the six-time Pro Bowl pick, team sources said. During a 24-10 loss to Baltimore in December, Taylor was disciplined and pulled from the game because he deviated from the scheme.
Wichard, a longtime friend of Vinny Cerrato's, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, declined to comment on whether other teams had contacted him about signing Taylor, who became an unrestricted free agent, "but I will say he can definitely still play this game," Wichard said.

By Cindy Boren  |  March 3, 2009; 9:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Miscast with Skins, Taylor Moves to Next Role
Next: Wanted: Tackle, Linebackers, Guard-Center

Comments

"He (Bernard) isn't a savior. He's not a 'splashy signing.' Just a low cost vet guy who can give their front line guys a rest or start if they're hurt.

They see him--and Canty-- as a piece and not the whole pie.

Posted by: MistaMoe"

Yes, and the massive difference between the Giants and the Redskins is the Giants already have their "splashy" players (Osi, Tuck, Kiwanuka). They needed "glue" guys. That's what Canty and Robbins provide for them. Players that will do the dirty work, unappreciated by the casual fan.

The Redskins are the exact opposite. The entire defense, save the secondary, is filled with "glue" guys. The Redskins needed that impact player, that dynamic force that can take over a game. Neither Canty nor Bernard would provide anything to the Redskins that was not provided last season by Demetric Evans, Anthony Montgomery, Kedrick Golston, and Lorenzo Alexander. Haynesworth, on the other hand, adds an entirely new dimension that wasn't previously there.

Not all rosters are created equal. Just because the Giants, loaded with frontline talent, add role players doesn't mean they are smarter than the Redskins, loaded with role players, who opt to add frontline talent.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | March 3, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

PSP - I agree completely - infact that is almost exactly the same as a post I made yesterday:

Where do we need depth?

The only place I would say we need depth is maybe at WR or RB.

The rest of the positions, we need STARTERS, not depth.

We have PLENTY of career backups on the O and D lines. Heyer, Lorenzo, Monty, Gholston, Rhino, Clark, Blades, Campbell, etc. etc. These guys are all good DEPTH guys, but they're not 16 game NFL starters.

We need IMPACT STARTERS at a few more positions.... this is why I was arguing for trading UP in the draft for our 3 late round picks.

By the start of 2010, we need STARTERS at:

RT (likely #13 or a trade down this year)
RG (likely thru FA in 2010)
C (2010 draft pick)
LB/DEs (remainder of picks next 2 drafts).

If we can solve those problems the next 2 years, we should be a pretty good team in 2010.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 2, 2009 12:00 PM

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Our 2009 and 2010 1st round picks for Terrell Suggs and the Ravens 2009 2nd rounder...

Posted by: TDawg1 | March 3, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"His outlook apparently changed, however, when the Redskins asked him to make another concession after everything he had done to fit in with the organization"

Um....what had he done to fit in?? I don't remember this.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Nicely put, psp.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 3, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

TDawg - theres not a player in the league I would make that trade for, let alone Terrell Suggs.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Agreed.

But this is the Redskins, my friend. I'm watching for it to happen, along with the re-signing of Demetric Evans; the acquisition of RT Ray Willis, and the signing of Hunter the Punter.

Posted by: TDawg1 | March 3, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

This team also needs more Cowbell.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 3, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I think Hunter, Igor, and maybe DJ hackett are the only FAs worth pursuing at this point. The rest of the spots I would say wait until draft or FA next year.

Theres no point in signing Willis and HOPING hell be good - RT is the 2nd most important spot on the line... lets just find a franchise RT in the draft.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Um....what had he done to fit in?? I don't remember this.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 10:25 AM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 3, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 3, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I think there are many players worth looking at in FA, but there is none that are worth a bidding war.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 3, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

He didn't seem so worried about spending time with his family, when he was dancing last off-season.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

te, sorry, I was overlooking all of that. my apologies to both you and to Jason Taylor....I'm an insensitive jerk...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I guess my Khalif Barnes at RT question has been anwsered.

I thought he would be a good player and he is only 26.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

The Nugget here, to me, is that the Skins don't trust their football people enough and the Vinny/snyder braintrust thinks they know all.

Looks like Blache said "don't do it, he doesn't fit and I believe that D Evans is Phillip Daniels 2.0 anyway. And they went against that advice from a dude that has forgotten more football than vindanny."

And before the literal fact squad are beating on my door, this is my read on the situation based on observation, reading the reports and common sense. But it is just that...an assertion, idea, my take...

sorry no links.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm an insensitive jerk...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 10:36 AM

Tell me something I don't already know. I've been reading the stuff people write about you up here and if you weren't insensitive you probably would have held your breath until you passed out.

Personally, I'm sensitive and I am stung to the core every time Cork or Truth has at me. I cringe just thinking about it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 3, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

whoops I placed the quotes wrong on my fake quote. fake quote should have gone after...'anyway'

Stated for accuracy in truthiness...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Will somebody slow this train down because if it doesn't stop soon, I'm gonna hurl.

Alex, I agree. We should consider the leftover Free Angents, but not become involved in a money flinging contest.

Who will be the next to hop on board? When will it stop?
With Ray Lewis?
With DJ Hackett?
With Cato June?

Forget about 'em.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 3, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

From reading yesterdays arguments about the "Mike" DT position. I have concluded that Haynesworth is an excellent "Sam" DT with a 3(i) technique. If I say that there is a "Sam" DT position then its a position.

Posted by: Brutus2 | March 3, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 10:38 AM

If I'm reading this correctly, then you're saying that Blache hasn't forgotten any football?

This might be right. Too bad we don't have an Insider to tell us.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 3, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

sorry no links.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

deepthoughtsbyChRislaRRy.org

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 3, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

damn etrod now I have my CC out and am on godaddy.com....

alas no nude danica patrick pics...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Flounder - Barnes got signed?

Definitely no to Lewis and June - way too old.

I didn't think Hackett would be a bad choice - young, tall, good red zone target.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I say start Heyer at RT and then Draft The DE/OLB from TEXAS. Then in the 3rd round you take an OT.

Heyer was working just fine on the right side, Even jim Zorn gave him the job last year and he would have kept it if he didnt get hurt and if Jansen's line buddies would not have been crying for their buddy to have his job back.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | March 3, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Ryp,

Thanks

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Totally forgot about Cato June. Could he fill in our needs at OLB? I bet he'd be relatively cheap. Then we could stay at 13 in the draft and get either one of the 4 OT or Orakpo or the DE from FSU.

Posted by: sidkid31 | March 3, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Can any of you "cap gurus" explain the financial ramifications of cutting Taylor? Is it to sign draft picks? To go after Ray Willis or another fill-in RT? A linebacker to replace Washington? Did we actually free up Taylor's $8.5M or just a portion of it?

Little help? Getting tired of waiting for our humble reporters to fill us in...

Posted by: outsider6 | March 3, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

+++How quickly we forget. Consider these sacrifices: renting an apartment in Northern Virginia; learning a new defensive scheme when they wouldn't change their scheme to Miami's; coming to practice when he wasn't injured; changing his jersey number; going on team trips to "away" games when he wasn't injured. You think that's easy? I'd like to see you rent an apartment in Northern Virginia or change your jersey number.

Posted by: talent_evaluator+++

Thank you T_E for putting this is perspective. How quickly indeed do we forget the human behind the uniform? I don't remember. But I do know this. Sometimes a rough tough football player is really just a girl standing in front of a boy asking him to love her.

Not that Taylor is a girl, but I bet my neighbor I could quote a line from “Notting Hill” on RI today and now he owes me a case of Schlitz. Where were we?

Yeah, sure Jason didn’t care so much about putting food on his family when he was Dancing with the Stars LAST winter in LA instead of being with them in Miami, but that’s just Jason being Jason. What the HELL do the redskins expect for their $8.5 million?

Snyder should be ashamed for driving this needy bald person out of town. Cerrato should be fired, but allowed to keep his medical coverage so he can have that Alien Eye syndrome looked into.

Posted by: TheCork | March 3, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I think Freddie Khielo (sp) was cut by Colts...I could be wrong.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Flounder - no, I was asking. Did he? I didn't see it anywhere. I thought he would be ok.

I definitely DO NOT want a right side of Thomas and Heyer. Defenses would just put 11 men on the other side of the field cause they know thats the only place well run, behind Samuels and Dock.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

And does cutting Taylor mean we try to re-sign Demetric Evans? Seems like Blache and co. love the guy and he had a superb season in '08. Hate to see him go...

Posted by: outsider6 | March 3, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

outsider,

No cap hit on JT we freed up his entire 8.5mil.

The problem is there is no word on the cap space the Skins have. That is no official word, so we are all still waiting to see exactly how much space they have.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I am ticketed, seated and strapped into the resign D. Evans train!

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I am ticketed, seated and strapped into the resign D. Evans train!

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 11:01 AM

Yeah, well I don't see you. I'm in the dining car. Where are you?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 3, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Dude I hit five guys on my way to the station....no need for the microwave pizza in dining car.

woot woot

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

From the JReid starter on the last thread:

"After changing positions (there really is a difference in playing right end or left end), trying to fit into a scheme that clearly didn't fit his skills and ..."

dcsween's only conclusion:

Defensive ends = NASCAR drivers

Posted by: dcsween | March 3, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

anyone else notice that all weekend when the redskins signed someone they put up the amount of money first then the years, but for every other team they only put up the years for that player

Posted by: GreatOne1 | March 3, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Cato June was great as weakside linebacker for the colts, but the bucs moved him to strongside where he wasnt big enough and wasnt very good.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | March 3, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Let me try that again ...

Jason Taylor has Derek Zoolander issues ... he's not an ambiturner.

Posted by: dcsween | March 3, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

after reading J reids post you would think that J taylor asked for his release because he was tired of being a redskin. but i could have sworn that the redskins released him and not the other way around

Posted by: GreatOne1 | March 3, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"His outlook apparently changed, however, when the Redskins asked him to make another concession after everything he had done to fit in with the organization."

This is laughable - ask him to make a concession? Offer me millions of dollars to play football and I'll practice wherever you want. JT is a baby. Man up and earn your pay check. Let him go put with another team.

Posted by: SBXVII | March 3, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Isnt Angelo Crowell avail?

We should bring him in (at the right price, sometime next week) and draft orakpo... then the rest on Oline.

Posted by: Zeebs | March 3, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Imagine being a Tampa Bay Bucs fan now. They cut good vets to save 12 mil in cap space this year and they currently have over 50 mil in cap space.

What have they done with that? They made a trade for week-kneed Kellen Winslow and that's it.

They need a QB, RB, DT's, at least that I know of and they have missed on all of the good FA's so far.

Now that's sad. Can you imagine what Danny/Vinny would do with 50 mil cap space? They could go after Ray Brown, Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders. Even bring Bruce Smith, Lavar Arrington, BLloyd and Mark Brunell back. Unstoppable!

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

+++Little help? Getting tired of waiting for our humble reporters to fill us in...

Posted by: outsider6 +++

I can answer some of this for you--THE CORK

"Can any of you "cap gurus" explain the financial ramifications of cutting Taylor?"

Nope. Can't help you there--THE CORK

" Is it to sign draft picks?"

Could be. You'll have to ask Vinny.--THE CORK

"To go after Ray Willis or another fill-in RT?"

Got me----THE CORK

"A linebacker to replace Washington?"

Gosh, that would help, wouldn't it?---THE CORK

"Did we actually free up Taylor's $8.5M or just a portion of it?"

NOW you're in my area of expertese:

Jason Taylor gets to keep his socks, his jocks, his ballet slippers and his tap shoes. The deposit on his locker will be returned once he turns in his key and replaces scratched up linoleum where he was teaching DeAngelo Hall the Virginia Reel.

Taylor gets one free Coach ticket back to Miami, plus two drink chits and a coupon for a 20% discount on Airporter service to a hotel of his choice.

Chris Hanburger's number is returned to the 'skins.

The rest of the $8.5 mil is freed up for Vinny to draft a punter who shanks, three more incompetent receivers, a guard with confidence issues, and a 5'2" cornerback.

Posted by: TheCork | March 3, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Little help? Getting tired of waiting for our humble reporters to fill us in...

Posted by: outsider6 | March 3, 2009 10:56 AM |

Because we traded for Taylor in the first place there is no hit for any signing bonus paid by Miami...that means that the second we cut him it freed up $8-8.5 million (not sure which was his actual salary).

After the signing of Haynesworth, Hall and Dock Vinny stated that already set aside cap room for their draft picks....

That being said the $8-8.5 million in new cap room is more than enough to try and resign Evans and go after a starting Sam LB and/or a RT (although one of those two positions is going to most likely come from the draft)

Posted by: guinness4health | March 3, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm looking right at you and waving......no, no over here.......ah forget it.

I'd bring back Evans as well, but on the cheap. I'd also bring in Igor. I mean, if you're going to have a bamf defense, how can you go wrong with a guy named Igor...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

If i had a nickel for everytime someone spelled GOLSTON's name GHOULston on this WaPo insider board I'd be a BILLLLLLLLLLIONAIRE.

Message to VINNY...aka SNYDER....dont trade any more draftpicks.

Keep the picks, 30+ year old dudes arent worth 2nd rounders unless we are getting Tom Brady or Peyton Manning perhaps.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | March 3, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Bigfish,

They also signed D. Ward. They also resigned their reciever ClayttonAlso they seem to be going after J Taylor from the rumor mill....

I am not defending the Bucs, just filling in some key details.

You heard it here first: Jay Cutler is the Bucs 2009 opening day QB.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Bean - Igors the only defensive guy out there Id still go after. Imagine Haynesworth, Igor, and then if we drafted Orakpo?? Shudder....

I wonder how much wed have to pay for him...

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I believe LB is now the primary focus of (a)the rest of Free Agency or (b) the draft. I believe it's OLB and not DE because I think Evans will return and because of depth.

K. Campbell 8yr Special Teams Captain is out. Fincher could be brought back to fill Campbell's role. Rain Wallace is also a UFA who the team may o may not bring back.

Current LB Corp on Roster:
54 Blades, H.B. 5-10, 250, 2yr
59 Fletcher, London 5-10, 245, 11yr
52 McIntosh, Rocky 6-2, 232, 3yr
58 Sinclair, Matt 6-2, 245, 2yr
97 Smith, Tyson 6-2, 250, 2yr

I believe Sinclair & Smith will push hard for the starting spot but #13 may very well be used on an OLB (Manuluga, Cushing, or Orakpo), and if Orakpo can line up at either DE or OLB then that makes him even more appetizing.

Orakpo 6-3, 263
Chris Wilson 6-4, 246, 2yr

Draft Needs:
OL,LB,CB,OL

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 3, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I dont know about that cL, Denver doesnt have a starter to replace him...

Posted by: Zeebs | March 3, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreatOne1 | March 3, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Did you also notice the guys on ESPN yesterday talking about the Pats being smart by signing Fred Taylor and bringing in Shawn Springs for a workout? They sign 2 players past their prime and they get applauded for it. I understand they have been a winning team for the last decade but come on - they are not untouchable.

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I'd upgrade (Can I getta an upgrade!) D Evens from cheap to fair, but yeah has to be cap wise.

Great one: When Taylor turns down 8.5 and a chance to play with AH over the number of days he has to work out with the team, he is asking for his release.....I opined on this al day yesterday not gonna regurtitype.

Hopefully we dilute the sting of the lost draft picks by spending the cap savings wisely.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

ryp, at this point, I haven't heard of Igor having made any visits to any teams, so I don't think it would take much to get him. Who knows...Olshansky, Willis, and Crowell, seem like a good haul at this point.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

we'll see Zeebs, we'll see....

bigfish, the Pats have been integrating vets on the downside of glory effectively now for like 10 seasons. I wouldn't doubt those moves.

Cagey vets at reasonable contracts have their place, especially on contending teams.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

BIGFISH...i noticed that.

If any team out there signs over the hill gang all stars then they can applauded and have been labled as successfully "FILLING NEEDS".

If we do it though we are wasting time/effort/money on someone who has lost a few steps.

The only way to end all the hate is for this damm team to win. I feel like the media is as much of a rival as the GD Dallas Cowboys.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | March 3, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I guess we just always seem to pick the wrong Cagey Vets and "reasonable contracts" - What's that? I've never seen one of those around here.

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

skins2win...

you said a mouthful their buddy. You don't see he difference between where the skins and pats are. Different situations take different actions. Kinda apples and ham hocks if you ask me (wich you didn't)

but no truer statement has been uttered than this

"The only way to end all the hate is for this damm team to win."

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | March 3, 2009 11:10 AM

He also gets priority status and free shipping at Redskins.com when the Taylor 55 jerseys go on sale for $5, or a baker's dozen for $55.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 3, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskins2Win | March 3, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Amen brother! Although the people here in Dallas don't really consider Skins/Boys that big of a rivalry anymore. Maybe the older ones but definitely not the younger to middle age crowd.

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

bifish, I sorta loathe to defend the FO but a few cagey vets with friendly contracts

Randall Godfrey contributed big time during the 07 playoff run

I think Phillip Daniels fits that bill, and could again if they resign him cheap

That Samoan DT..

Larry Centers

ok so there aren't a ton...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

T.J. SAYS HE’S GETTING AN MRI
Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 11:17 a.m. EST
Lost in the three-team jockeying for the services of receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh is the possibility that the 27-year-old trapped in a 31-year-old’s body has an injury of some sort.

Houshmandzadeh said on Tuesday’s Dan Patrick Show that he’ll undergo an MRI on an unspecified area of his body. (We wonder why T.J. didn’t mention this during his Thursday night appearance on ESPN.)

The specific reason for the MRI isn’t clear. So we picked through the 2008 injury reports (a major pain in the butt, by the way — please feel free to play your imaginart violins, and then to shove them up your organic carrying cases), and we found that he was on it for four different conditions last year — hamstring, ankle, hand, and back.

Specifically, he was probable in Week One with a hamstring. He was listed as a full participant in practice on Thursday and Friday.

In Week Seven, he was questionable with an ankle injury. He didn’t practice on Wednesday, practiced on a limited basis on Thursday, and fully participated on Friday.

In Week Eight, he was probable, due to the ankle. He missed practice on Wednesday and fully participated the other two days.

In Week Twelve, Week Thirteen, Week Fourteen and Week Seventeen, he was probable with a back injury He missed a couple of Wednesday practices because of it.

In Weeks Fifteen and Sixteen, Houshmandzadeh was probable with a hand injury. He missed one Wednesday practice, prior to Week Fifteen.

In Week Two through Week Six, Week Nine, Week Ten (bye), and Week Eleven, he wasn’t listed on the injury report at all.

Our guess? The back injury, which appeared on the last report of the season, is the reason for the MRI.

And, presumably, the Seahawks won’t finalize the contract until everything checks out.

Look, we’re not trying to sound any alarms here. But, let’s face it. It’s not like getting a massage; people don’t undergo expensive, high-tech diagnostic tests unless there’s something to diagnose, or to rule out.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

fishman

'...You keep saying what they shouldn't do, how about telling us with your great knowledge what they should do..'

With my great knowledge, I'll suggest and re-state the kind of things a FO-challenged team like the redskins should do.

And beg pardon to anyone who's read my posts as they remain consistent.

The team should give up its love for 'big names' and develop from within. Re-signing a players like D Evans, for example, should've happened well before FA started.

The team should draft rt, dt, wlb, c/g with the picks it has.

The team should work to manage its sal cap so, like the bucs, it's so way under that when a big name does come along, it can take the player on and have room to keep younger players once they become players of value.

This method of operation is why the stillers could re-sign C Kometeau to play guard and M Starks t while holding on to it's money.

There's more, but that's enough. No big names, no splash.

Just the simple, low cost way back to competitiveness. It's better to develop the players people want rather than always chasing other teams players.

And I'm tired of all the chasing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 3, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Here is the perfect way to end this Offseason.

Sign D. Evans to a three year deal, sign P. Daniels to a one year deal.

Sign Hunter Smith (punter).

Sign A. Crowell.

Draft. A. Smith start him at right tackle move him to left in two years once Samuels begins to wear down some and he has some expierience under his belt.

Draft a LB in the 3rd round.

Posted by: ryan_conaway | March 3, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Few things Moe:

(1) "The front office of the Washington Redskins has had a ten year pattern of chasing players developed by other teams, only to to see its grand schemes blow up in its face."

This is true. However, the front offices of Detroit and Cincinnati have had a ten-year pattern (or so) of drafting and developing their own players only to see their grand schemes blow up in their face. And on the flipside, there are several teams that helped themselves win Super Bowls by bringing in elite talent from outside their franchise, and making them key pieces to their run (Giants, Bucs, Ravens, even the 49ers and Cowboys of the 90s).

(2) "Re-signing a players like D Evans, for example, should've happened well before FA started.

"I'd take a couple of 3-13 seasons where I'm collecting picks and getting younger to an occasional playoff year any day."

These two statements contradict each other. If you want to take a couple of 3-13 seasons with the goal of getting younger, re-signing a 29 year-old, clearly in his prime player at the start of that process is not the way to go about it.

(3) "The team should take the path of least resistance and let time allow bad contracts and older players go their own way."

I agree with this. However, it will never happen. Complaining about it is like talking to a wall.

(4) "Just the simple, low cost way back to competitiveness."

As many, many teams in this league have exemplified, this is FAR from easy. Simple? Yes. But not even close to easy.

Posted by: psps23 | March 3, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Skins Fans!
First, what are the possibilities of acquiring ILB Ray Lewis?
Second, how can anyone with $8.5M contract refuse an off season workout with an extra .5M incentive ? Owner D Snyder opens his heart and wallet to do whatever it takes to improve this team, yet we have a player that refuses to add an off season workout clause to his contract; with a flimsy excuse of his desire to be with his family . While I'm a true believer in family values, shouldn't he have thought about his family first before coming to Washington? I really think Jason Taylor knows the off season workout will expose his ineptitude and weakness, and that is why he is taking the easy way out, which is to take the money and run. If he really cares about his family that much, why not change address? There are beautiful homes and Schools in the District. Skins Fans should learn not to criticize Daniel Snyder, but must learn to appreciate an owner who wanted the best for his team. Blame the losers that are taking advantage of Snyder's intense search for a better player for his team and his fans.
Hail!

Posted by: abxinc | March 3, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Give me a break! A guy that makes $8.0m a year can't attend offseason workouts because it would take him away from his family too much? This guy can either move to an apartment in the area or fly home anytime he wants. It's not like he is stationed in Iraq with no opportunity to see his wife and kids. What a joke. I'm glad they kicked him to the curb. Good riddance, I say. The guy just can't be inconvenienced to play football any more. He should just hang up the cleats and move to Hollywood.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 3, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"Taylor did not mesh well with Blache, who apparently was not in favor of acquiring the six-time Pro Bowl pick, team sources said."

If this is true, this is another damning indictment about the dysfunction that rules this organization. If the defensive coordinator had reservations about acquiring Jason Taylor -- especially at the price we ended up paying in the form of draft picks -- then why make the trade in the first place? This is why we need REAL football people making the decisions instead of the comedy team of Danny & Vinny. As long as they rule, this team won't be winning anything significant.

Posted by: stwasm | March 3, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse