Taylor: Knee Injury, Loss Tough to Take

Dan Steinberg filed from Jason Taylor's charity event

Jason Taylor was "unavailable" to speak after Monday's practice, but media members who wanted to ask him about the status of his knee were encouraged to attend a charity event sponsored by his foundation last night at the Leesburg Old Navy.

Call the motive clever or devious, but regardless, a few media folks gathered inside the Old Navy, before the kids started their $300-per-kid shopping spree with Taylor and his teammates, to hear the end's thoughts about his knee and the season-opening loss.

"Terrible," he said of his performance against the Giants. "We didn't win. I didn't make enough plays to help us win. If we lose a game and you've got four or five sacks, you still didn't play good enough."

As for the status of his right knee, "It's hurt," he said. "I mean, it's hurt. It's a physical game and my knee is hurt, but that's no excuse, I've got to make more plays. It's not a big deal to me. This is football. We're gonna get hurt, we're gonna get banged up. You've got to play through it."

He said the knee swelled, as expected, following Thursday's game, but that he actually wanted to be on the field more than he was -- "I came out too much," he said. He said the 10-day break would likely help, but as in his comments immediately after Thursday's game, he seemed to suggest that the knee problem would not be going away any time soon. Here was his response to a question about what goes into a consecutive games streak.

"You're lucky to not have the big injuries that prevent you from playing, and a lot of it is fortitude, too," he said. "I mean, you're gonna be dinged up. This is the NFL. If you want a nice cushy job, you should go sit in an office somewhere. You know, there's no carpal tunnel syndrome in this game, but there's a lot of bumps and bruises and things like that that you've got to be able to play through. [You] put yourself in harm's way sometimes, but you've got to suck it up and play."
...
More on Taylor, from Jason Reid

Taylor struggled against the run in the opener. New York tight end Kevin Boss, not considered among the league's best blockers at his position, won many individual matchups against Taylor in the first half.

Overall, the Giants totaled 154 yards rushing on 32 attempts (a 4.8-yard average) and running back Brandon Jacobs had 116 yards on 21 rushes (a 5.5-yard average). Taylor was playing for the first time since injuring his right knee Aug. 23 in a preseason game against the Carolina Panthers, but scouts have expressed doubts about Taylor's effectiveness against the run because he is listed at only 244 pounds.

This week, Washington faces the New Orleans Saints on Sunday in the FedEx Field home opener. New Orleans tight end Jeremy Shockey, traded from the Giants in July, is considered a better blocker than Boss.

In his first 11 seasons with the Miami Dolphins, Taylor's weight during the season sometimes dropped under 240 pounds. Whether the Giants targeted Taylor because of his injury or the belief he is a weak link in the Redskins' run defense, "they did what they did," defensive end Andre Carter said. "That could have been part of the game plan [to run at Taylor], and he knows, in this division, they're going to test him.

"But one thing about it is, we admire his courage. He didn't have to come out. He could have come back for New Orleans. We thank him for coming back and just trying to help out the best way possible."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 9, 2008; 1:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell's Teammates Bear Burden, Too
Next: Saints-Skins 2006 Game Offers Clues

Comments

At last!

Posted by: charlie | September 9, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Zeke - I need multiple players for Turner.

He will be fantasy king of the year and I'm not letting him go for a ham sandwich....

Posted by: 4th | September 9, 2008 1:05 PM

Turner had a big game against the LIONS, look what we did to them last year, and the eagles, and basically everybody they played. Turner will have a great year, maybe even a top 10 year, but look at the rest of his schedule, he aint the "fantasy king" this year.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 1:10 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Taylor fought on played. Hopefully he gets some rest and looks better.

Posted by: Skinz | September 9, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Again, except for the first drive for a touchdown and the next three which only yielded three field goals, the defense didn't allow any other scores - even after Smoot left the game. They gave up a lot of yards but not a lot of scores after the first quarter. To me, until someone starts scoring regularly, this defense is not the problem with the Skins.

Posted by: charlie | September 9, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

And Zorn should not have to babysit whiny players who need pep rallys to play hard, what does a good team like the eagles do when a guy is not giving it his all, do the fire the coach for not getting him ready to play no the get rid of the player.

Posted by: Flounder | September 9, 2008 1:06 PM

Actually, he should. As Head Coach, that's his job. Nobody on this team is a true distraction or detriment outside of playing ability. And all have proven that they can be motivated and play with intensity and emotion. Zorn needs to prove he can get the same out of them.

And Jim Zorn is not Andy Reid. Andy Reid has one of the highest winning percentages of all-time as a head coach. If Jim Zorn can get that type of winning and take this team deep into the playoffs a couple times, then you can make that comparison. Until then, that's about as ridiculous as comparing Colt Brennan to Brett Favre and Tom Brady.

Posted by: psps23 | September 9, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

JC strikes me as a good guy, a class act. But if he doesn't produce then what is the point. By produce I mean victories and decent stats. That's the only reasonable basis for keeping in the position. If he falls short by mid-season, trade him and give Colt a shot. Same methodology applies to Colt until we land the winner we deserve.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Taylor was a good pick up for the right price. By week 4 he will be spinning OTs heads in this division, just knocking them on their cans.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I was listening to JC on the radio and it sounded to me like he was saying he was going to play his way. He said he was going to play Jason Campbell football and not worry about playing the way everyone else wants him to play. He said he was going to play the way he felt comfortable. Throwing of the Zorn shackles?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 9, 2008 1:09 PM

[Best Homer Simpson impression]: "Ooohhh, here we go!"

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

"The Post has the stats wrong, so take it up with them......

Posted by: Greg | September 9, 2008 1:08 PM "

So Greg, I took a gander at the Post's box score for the KC/Pats game. They actually have the stat line correct. Hmmm what gives? I am sure you weren't lying though, b/c your a good dude and deserves the benefit of the doubt for misreading or whateves...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to speak with you all about what went wrong, but I don't think yall should be the only people I say something to. Yeah I'm saying something to yall, but I'm not saying nothing to yall almost as if yall did something wrong, or yall didn't do something right, yall know what I mean?

Posted by: The Truth | September 9, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok CL point made be the gracious winner. As Greg is learning in the immortal words of Common, "Karma is a B!tch and I heard that she bites."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Here you go cl:

This is from the NFL Stats for 2008, for the Kansas City Chiefs. Please highlight Brandon Flowers stats for me?? Please point out where I 'mis read' this.

J. Page 1 7 5 2 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0
D. Williams 1 2 2 0 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0
J. McGraw 1 1 0 1 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0

Posted by: Greg | September 9, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

CL 3-0
Game; Set; Match

Posted by: Roger Federer | September 9, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I am done, just checking up on what was asked.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Let me know cl...I'm waiting.....

Posted by: Greg | September 9, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Do you need your boss to fire you up at work for you to do your job

Posted by: Flounder | September 9, 2008 12:47 PM

Sometimes, which is one reason I like my boss so much.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 9, 2008 12:51 PM

If you worked for me you would be gone, I am sure your boss has better things to do then come and give you a personall pep rally.

Posted by: Flounder | September 9, 2008 12:53 PM

Flounder, You're an idiot. The environment I work has significant ups and downs. My boss gets this and recognized he has a responsibility to motivate his people. Every boss has that responsibility. Me included.

Some people can get through life handling every single up and down themselves. Not me. I'm pretty self sufficient, but some help from time to time can go a long way.

On average, I'd say I get a "personal pep rally" for about 1 minute a month. My boss has no problem with that.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 9, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight, Anonymous: give Jason Campbell seven more games, and if he "falls short" in terms of "victories and decent stats" by then, trade him and start Colt Brennan.

And then give Brennan the same number of career starts as Campbell, which I think would be 28, and if he "falls short" in terms of "victories and decent stats" in those 28 games -- after the fourth game of the 2010 season, by my reckoning, barring injury -- trade him and start the backup QB which the fan base is clamoring for more loudly at that time.

And then repeat...

Yep, I agree that that recipe should help us "land the winner we deserve," with emphasis on the word "deserve."

I am using sarcasm.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 9, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I already provided the link to the Posts box score, and espns.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

OK this is just getting retarded but

Pos Num Player Profile Status Quick Stats Team
CB 24 Flowers, Brandon ACT TCKL 6 SCK 0.0 FF 0 INT -- KC

That's from NFL.com.

Whatever point is people can be wrong and continuing to beat them over the head with it uncalled for if you are interested in actual dialogue.

Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes the bug. Can we all move on now?

Can't we all just get along??

Posted by: Skinz | September 9, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Greg, please step forward and claim your prize.

Posted by: Winking Brown Eye Awards | September 9, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I just heard the comments from JC again he sad he is going to go out and play, and not worry about what people are telling him to do.

I have a feeling JC is talking out of his a$$, and will be benched if he tries to freelance.

He is being coached for a reason, he was not that good before and needs work.

Posted by: Flounder | September 9, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and I provided the Post's NFL stats for the Chiefs.

Posted by: Greg | September 9, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I would like to point out that 16 teams lost last week, and of them 8 did by more than us including Payton Manning. Point being, stay cool.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 9, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Flag on all of you, bickering about stat lines from a game that doesnt matter...

bring Da Jibba Jabba!

Posted by: Zebra | September 9, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Righty-nutties that can't admit they're wrong make the world go 'round.

Posted by: Keith Olberman | September 9, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Nate, yes that's my plan exactly and I'm glad you agree!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Nate is back. Where ya been? You've missed some truly profound comments. Mostly by me.

I also am using sarcasm.

Posted by: Skinz | September 9, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Tony Romo is the man!

Posted by: Don Breaux | September 9, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I guess what I'm most impressed with is the Anonymous notion that Campbell be given seven more games to prove himself before he is discarded. That seems like an incredibly conservative approach given many of the opinions up here.

Good gravy, we all agree that almost everybody on the team needs to play better, starting with J Campbell, and we need to win games, starting with this one against the Saints. Let's do it.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 9, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Taylor playing was more for his continual starts than trying to help the team. He hurt the team by playing. A healthy Evans is probably better than a hurt Taylor. He should put his pride aside and rest up for a couple games and get his explosion back.

Posted by: Dont know what to think | September 9, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Really he is. He's not even good at what he used to do which is read sports lines off a teleprompter

Posted by: Olberman is a blow hard | September 9, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Good point Nate.

F the saints and the 'cane they rode in on.... ooohhh, too early?

The team needs to stop looking back and figure out how to attack the saints weakness. I would assume running up the middle is what they dont like to do, although Duece should be good at that.

At least that way we can eliminate most of their explosive plays. Dont know if they are a grind it out team... dont know if we are a grind it out team... we used to be...

Posted by: Zebra | September 9, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't JLa conversate today?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Greg man man this is your Little Big Horn

Wash Post/Espn/NFL all showing the same stat line. All posted in the last 15 comments or so.

But whateves, my only point, and I agree that this is dull, is that you looked kinda dumb throwing words like liar around when its not really appropriate and felt it funny when you stepped in the same thing a day later..

But I am done...its boring...I will go hang myself now as per your request.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn should start at QB this week.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I am done, just checking up on what was asked.

Please commence hanging.....

Posted by: Practice what you Preach | September 9, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

4th,

I got some WRs on the bench that might help you. Devery Henderson is probably the best of the group, though you can go for someone else if you'd like.

Don't underestimate Delhomme, though. He beat SD in SD. Without Steve Smith, one of the best WRs in the league. Smith was suspended for that game and the next. After that, its looking pretty good for Delhomme. They've got a real threat with their running game, so he should have time to throw the ball.

Henderson and Delhomme for Turner. You need the QB, I need the RB.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 9, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Al,

I will not resort to calling you an idiot yet, but you get a pep talk once a month for about a minute and then you go do your job.

I am sure Zorn peps these guys up more then 1 minute per month I see your point as well as PSP but I believe that players making millions of dollars to play a game they supposedly love should not need to be pepped up all the time.

Agree to disagree and move on, we could argue this all day and we would both still be idiots on the subject.

Posted by: Flounder | September 9, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Redskins, Bobcats, Bulldogs.

1 outta 3 ain't bad I guess...

Posted by: The Truth | September 9, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame Taylor for having a bad game....I blame the coaches, its idiotic they they used him after doing nothing for 10 days and everyone knowing that he has a bad knee. At the start of the game the Giants had to be like "really, your gonna play him full time at end?" Of course they're gonna run at him. Taylor should have been used sparingly in pass rush situations this game. This is the sort of stupidity I'm getting so tired of with this team, and the Carter quote that maybe it was their plan to run at him but we all admire that he was trying....that's just idiotic, players are always going to try and always going to want to try, its in their DNA its the coaches job to decide how to effectively use a guy, and if we play Taylor all season as a full-time down lineman then we have the dumbest coaching staff in the league.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Reposting an analysis of Skins draft picks for the last 5 years:

Can't comment on the individual players we drafted because I genuinely don't know them until I see them at the pro level.

I do know that plenty of 'can't miss guys' suck and bunches of 'no names' become studs.

When I look at a draft, I ask this question. What will this team need in 2 years? The I look at the odds of a draft pick filling that need.

For example, the odds of a 2nd round WR pick being a success in the NFL is about 1/3 and the odds of him being a stud is about 1/10. Why pick 2 guys? To improve your odds. I have no problem with that. Thought the Spaghetti Gang was smart to do that.

Did not understand picking Colt, though there might be something to that one as things evolve. Didn't understand Brooks, as he isn't enough of an upgrade over the previous guy to justify a pick.

The real problem with the draft has been cumulative. Since 2004 (5 drafts) the Skins have made 31 picks. Just 3 OL. Just 3 DL

1 guard, 2 OT (3rd, 6th and 7th round). On the DL, 3 picks (all 5th round or later)

Out of the 22 positions, 9 are on the lines. So they should be roughly 40% of your picks. For the Skins, its just below 20% and only 1 was a 1st day pick. By comparison, there have been 4 tight ends picked.

6 picks for 9 slots. 4 picks for fill 1 slot.

Thats the draft issue, in a nutshell.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 9, 2008 1:14 PM

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 9, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe M. Kelly can pump up the team with a free style like this...

Posted by: Anon Sequitur | September 9, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

this will make everyone feel better :

"I still think Notre Dame's gonna win eight or nine games, but I'm not quite as convinced. The Irish looked awful Saturday and it was stunning to see a team that has talked about how much better its O-line will be struggle to get just 105 rushing yards against a team missing seven projected defensive starters. (Keep in mind, ND now starts four juniors and a senior up front and Cal Poly ran for 263 on the Aztecs.) I'm not sure if this is truly the state of Notre Dame football, but there is this gem from San Diego State coach Chuck Long's postgame news conference. Asked who was better, Notre Dame or Cal Poly, Long responded: "That's a tough question. It's hard to say who's better."

By the way, that same Cal Poly team lost last weekend to Montana."

-- some ESPN blogger dude

Posted by: The Truth | September 9, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Skinz, you know that my capability for anything approaching commentarial profundity is limited to areas such as breakfast foods, Frank Black, ladies' unmentionables, Black Francis, and basically that gray and football-free area we define up here as "jibba jabba."

Potent Potables for 500, Alex35332.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 9, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I am looking to Move LJ smith & Jeff Garcia in The League of Anonymous Gentlemen for a starting RB if anyone is interested.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 9, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"VY goes nuts?

Ok, it's currently unofficial, but I just heard from a very reliable source that Vince Young beat up his manager and/or agent, took his gun and barricaded himself in the Baptist Sports Complex (TN Titans practice facility) and was shooting at Metro police. Just happened within the last hour, according to my source. The command was called off just moments ago, which apparently means VY gave up, was subdued, or is dead.
"

Posted by: 4th | September 9, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Flounder ... we'll agree to disagree.

I will put down one marker. I called out 'intensity' as being the key to the Jints game ... before the game. In Jasno's discussion, I asked about the chemistry of this team compared to last season.

To me, team chemistry and intensity are major aspects of success. And a key part of a coach's role is to get his players into the optimal mindset, both for practice and for games. There is also a difference between being motivated for yourself and motivated for your team. You need both.

I'll call out intensity as a key in the NO game. It matters not only for the outcome of the game, but to the direction of this team.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 9, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"the guy is my x brother in law, he's a cop down there, he's off duty and listening to his radio."

That's the guy's source for the above statement.....

Posted by: 4th | September 9, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

It seems the Big Tuna outdid lil' Dano again!!

A second round pick for an overage danicin' fool?

Rational thinking would say that next year's pick wasn't worth a one-legged, long-in-the-tooth-tweener. But, since when does rational thinking prevail in the Danoskins F.O.? Since never!

Look at the bright side, if Dano still had next year's #2 pick, he'd blow it on trading for Brandon Lloyd (again). Just look at what he did with THREE #2's this year!!! NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ExtremeArt | September 9, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

i call bulls**t on the way this blog entry is worded to make it look like jason taylor was beaten badly in the run game vs the giants. when actually a great majority of the giants rushing yards were at andre carter...when the giants ran left at(our defenses right/carters side) they averaged 8.7 yards per carry. running at jason taylor they averaged only 3.8ypc...once again the washpost agenda making every thing about the redskins seem negative by twisting and contorting things to fit their negative stance...

Posted by: X-E | September 9, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

X-E = Greg ?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Need a quick bit of fantasy help...

I'm in a suicide league and picked Buffalo last week. There were 40 people in the league, and 33 of them were eliminated because they foolishly picked Seattle.

Given that I'm clearly playing against rank amateurs, who should I pick this week? Right now, I'm leaning towards Green Bay over Detroit...

Posted by: P Diddy | September 9, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I just really, really hope that's not true about Vince Young - dude looked SO happy when his number was retired at UT on opening day this year...something is seriously wrong...

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 9, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:19 PM

No one ever promised you that you will have a winning team. Everyone hopes their team can win from time to time, but there is no guarantee for winning, given the constraints of competition and league rules. Besides, for team owners, success can be measured in a number of different ways. Winning may not be the primary motivation. (Profits might be, for example.)

So sit back and enjoy the team's efforts, or find another that suits you. But don't make the mistake of believing you deserve a winning team. The reality is that you are owed nothing except "entertainment", even if that entertainment consists of 50 consecutive years of losing.

Posted by: Adam Smith | September 9, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

PFT on Young....

TO OD Redux, electric Boogaloo?

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

your source is way off, first of all everything happened last night, not within the last hour, secondly he abruptly left home w/o his cell phone and was missing for several hours (4) and that his family called Jeff Fisher and the police. Fisher finally got a hold of him somehow and convinced him to meet him at the sports place, he did have a gun, but it was unloaded and they are reporting that at no time was he threatening himself or anybody else.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Righty-nutties that can't admit they're wrong make the world go 'round.

Posted by: Keith Olberman | September 9, 2008 1:31 PM

And lefty-nutties (like you) who are never right provide the counter-balance to those on the right. Fortunately the moderates on both sides occasionally get together on some issues and accomplish something productive.

Posted by: Not Keith Olberman | September 9, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: P Diddy | September 9, 2008 1:59 PM

Saints?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Adam Smith,
I'm using your theory in my analysis. If a product (in this case QB) isn't adequate, shop in the free market for another that is better (Colt or the next Dolt).

Sorry to powder your wig old man.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 2:03 PM

The public hardly ever gets the truth and if you believe that garbage they gave as statement of events then more power to you.

I've watched enough episodes of 24 (and X Files) to know there is always a cover up of the truth. They just wrapped it up very neatly.

Remember, Fischer, the Titans, and by extension the Nashville police ALL have a vested interest in the truth not getting out.....

Posted by: 4th | September 9, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

sorry - just a little confused. Is Tango playing on Sunday or what?

Posted by: Dik | September 9, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I'd pick the Saints to light up the scoreboard vs the 4skins.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 9, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 9, 2008 1:51 PM

Another one trying to pimp an injured player.....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Both his knee and his conditioning should improve with the 10 days between games.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 9, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

That truth is out there...

Posted by: Fox Mulder | September 9, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

4th, are we close to a deal?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 9, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I think this week is a must win if we're going to make anything of this season. A loss and we're looking at 1-4 in a division where everyone else will probably be 4-1. I'd be happy to get to 2-3 before the softer part of our schedule kicks in.

Posted by: Realist | September 9, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I have watched enough 24 and X-files to know that both those suck big time.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to powder your wig old man.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 2:15 PM

Your analysis only works if you have ownership rights. We're very sorry that you don't, so you don't get to choose the players. You only get to vote on the total value of the entertainment with your wallet and/or your feet.

Posted by: Adam Smith | September 9, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 9, 2008 1:51 PM

Dingleberries with corn?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

RE: CL AND GREG Brouhaha

+++I already provided the link to the Posts box score, and espns.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 1:28 PM+++

This is a waste of your time and blood pressure, cL. Our man Greg obsesses over something and worries it like a dog with a bone.

He called me a liar because i saw an LATimes box score that listed "ROYAL 6 catches" and reported it as EDDIE Royal.

If I had more time to devote to this purusit, I'd have done a check and realized it was ROBERT Royal who caught the six balls, and EDDIE Royal wasn't with the Bills, but, of course Denver, who hadn't played yet.

That was a mistake on my part, not a lie. My Irish temper sometimes takes over and I wasted time ripping Greg. I should have taken my own advice, "It's only football."

Meanwhile, Greg has apparently moved on and conveniently dropped the subject of EDDIE Royal and how my support of his talent is somehow an indication that I hate the Redskins.

Far from it. I LOVE the Redskins. Not that fond of their front office.

And surprise, guess what happened last night? EDDIE Royal didn't catch six balls, he caught NINE (two more were called back by penalties) for about 150 yards. He made the Raiders new acquisition DeAngelo Hall look worse than J.T. Tryon.

How nice might it have looked to have either EDDIE Royal or, better yet, DeSean Jackoon in the old Maroon and Plaid? (jackson, because that way PHILA wouldn't have him!)

Yes, they're "smallish" receivers, but the skins could then have used their OTHER TWO 2nd rounders to pick big guys to show up out of shape, sit on the bench or remain inactive.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 9, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

lol, ok scully, I've watched enough of the crap to know its all far fetched and appeals to 45 year old fat nerds living in their parents basement. Even if you think there's more to the story, and there may very well be, how do you explain that this happened last night? I've been reading the story on PFT since this morning and your source says it happened within the last hour? Did the press coverup begin before the incident happened? Now that's a conspiracy!

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I need to unload a RB for a receiver in RI league. Hook a brother up with a reasonable trade request.

Posted by: Peruvian Beaverhunds | September 9, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Corkczar...

What's all this crud about Rddie Royal and D.Jackson being all that? I'm telling you, Malcolm Kelly catches 8-10 balls Sunday! Dude's a stud. A budding superstar.

And remember the immortal words of Plato, or perhaps it was Ramtha: "A positive atittude creates a positive world."

Posted by: Glass Half Full Corkczar | September 9, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Wait - is someone dissin' Colt again? Don't make me break out my Thiesman speech.

Posted by: Dik | September 9, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Greg, please claim your Winky or appoint someone to accept on your behalf.

Posted by: Winking Brown Eye Awards | September 9, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Sorry - I'm not a fantasy leaguer here.. but why would you ever give up a reciever for a running back??

Aren't RBs late round pics & Rcvs early?

Posted by: Dik | September 9, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I know corky, I know...we're both right, and our love for each other is never wrong...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking to unload a noob coach, stupid QB, lightweight DE, scrub Safety, and bad draft picks. Unreasonable requests will also be considered.

Posted by: D. Snyder | September 9, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Adam Smith,

Igads, you have fast forwarded into a 20th century communistic trap. It is not necessary for every fan (citizen) to own an equal share of an industry (NFL) or company (Redskins Inc.) for the free market to flourish. The ownership rights in this case are possessed by young Master Danny. I am merely urging him to exercise better care and stewardship over those rights, by choosing better players (and axing the dead wood). Never did I claim to be the owner of this profitable though losing franchise, merely an occasional patron, growing old with impatience.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

It wouldn't matter if we had Robert Royal 'cause Zorn wouldn't realize you can throw to a tight end!!

"... I'll take All-Pro receiving tight ends from the Seahawks in the 80's, Alex..."

...maps...

Posted by: Dik | September 9, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

The noxious fruit of my Redskins chamber pot runneth over with putridity.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

hold me cl....

Posted by: Corkczar | September 9, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Shazaaam, and I thought I was a nuts.

Posted by: Slim Pickins | September 9, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

[shudder]

Posted by: Dik | September 9, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Fakes back...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow ... some real venom btwn some guys who are both regular and long-timers ... sounds like some serious chappage over that thing last Thursday (the one where Santana Moss didn't catch the TD pass to beat that other team ... name escapes me).

P Diddy, on that suicide pool, go with NYG over the Rams. 100% lock. Maybe not a lock every week (see Brady).

On this next outing, Yahoo.com's "odds" has the Skins favored over the Saints by 1 with an over/under of 42.5. Personally, I can't see either of those projections ... but I'd totally take the under. I wonder whether Yahoo.com has a sports book in Vegas.

Posted by: dcsween | September 9, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

And now I'm just figuring out the whole Liar-gate thing ... which happened to have burned me in other ways ... I had the real Royal on my FF team ... on the bench.

Posted by: dcsween | September 9, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

PDiddy, I also think Pittsburgh over Cleveland looks safe, as does Arizona over Miami (though slightly less so ... its unclear why Sparano is allergic to their own running game).

Posted by: dcsween | September 9, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I never post here but i feel compelled to now. Everyone needs to stop overreacting. A few thoughts...

1. Stop comparing Colt to HOFers. At this point there is no reason to think he will be anything other than a career backup.

2. Drew Brees did not see success until his 4th year in the league (all 4 years under the same offense). Matt Hasselback did not see success until his 4th year in the league (all 4 years under the same offense). No, JC did not look so good but he is still the best QB the skins have so let's give him some time.

3. Vinny Cerrato should not be making all the decisions but has shown a good track record in the draft. I believe he was responsible for the drafts that netted Chris Samuels, Lavaar, Champ, Smoot and Jansen. That said, director of scouting sounds better for him. The current makeup of this team is all on Gibbs. He traded away what seems like 5 years worth of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks for player who in most case aren't even on team. High to mid round picks are the core of most good teams and either contribute early or allowed to develop. That's why this team is old and has no depth.

4. For all the people who on one hand say the team needs continuity but on the other that the team needs to be blown up, you make to sense. If this team will be mediocre over the next couple years while it (hopefully) builds through the draft than why not allow Zorn and Campbell to work together during that time and see what happens? Worst case scenario is that the team gets younger, deeper and gets some good picks due to poor records. And there's still a good chance that JC will turn it around with some reps under this system. Don't trash Zorn after 1 regular season game. That being said they still need a legitimate GM.

Posted by: BobOh | September 9, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness we fans are not GM's. I remeber the year we drafted Carlos Rogers, the entire redskins nation booed then because we wanted Mike Williams WR from USC. I aint saying Carlos is no Deion Sanders but at least he is still in the league. Imagine if we had taken Mike Williams with the 9th overall pick

Posted by: Great One | September 9, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

The Greg I know is always so welcoming and understanding. He never fails to give the benefit of the doubt when one of us messes up.

Now he seems to be like Attila the Greg or something and he's won the Winky. Someone should go by his cage and check up on him to make sure he doesn't hurt himself.

I'm afraid he's in a severe emotional crisis since Tom Brady went down. Give him some drugs.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I bet you Redskins losers wish you had me!

Losers!

Posted by: Thomas Dimitroff | September 9, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"Thank goodness we fans are not GM's"

I think Sween is a fan AND a GM.

Posted by: Mark in 21132 | September 9, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Alright Bob,

I had to stop reading your post due to the pure inanity of the first false premise.

Did you WATCH pre season. Have you HEARD what other experts around the league say about him?

He's not ready to start now, but he showed a lot of promise. I'm not saying start him, but I am saying he's better than the two QB's over him.

The guy was a Heisman hopefull, just like a certain #7 I seem to remember.

So next time one of you sukkards wants to tell me how an undersized college phenom can't do anything in this league... bite it.

Posted by: Dik | September 9, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Even I am worried about Greg. He has a very fragile psyche and has been cranky lately. I had his face tattooed next to my grandma on my rose bush, but it does not seem to have helped.

Posted by: Vince Young | September 9, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

... Am I the only one up here who's worried about Greg? He hasn't been himself these last few days. ...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 2:52 PM

Anon, Greg bears a burden that you just cannot appreciate unless and until you bear that burden yourself ... bonus points.

Posted by: dcsween | September 9, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I can name plenty of heisman hopefulls that played in pass happy systems and didn't do anything in the NFL. I can name a few that even won the heisman and didn't do anything in the pros (Hint: one played here initial DW) One's at TTU. I'm not saying he didn't look good. I'm saying he looked good against 3rd stringer, most of whom aren't even on NFL rosters anymore. He may turn out to be good but no one can say now so he shouldn't be in the discussion for at least another year or two.

Posted by: BobOh | September 9, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I think we should recruit these guys to be on our team.

:-P

Than again they are not very accurate.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 9, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Doug Williams won the Heisman?

Posted by: SMACK | September 9, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

4th, do you not believe Vince or his agent?

taken from PFT:

The agent for Titans quarterback Vince Young, who became the subject of a manhunt in Nashville based on fears that he might harm himself, says that Young was simply watching football on Monday night, and that there was no reason for anyone to fear for his well-being.

“This is all being blown way out of proportion,” agent Major Adams told the Nashville City Paper. He just went to watch both of the games last night at a friend’s house. I had talked to him. He told me where he was and everything.

“He said he can’t believe he can’t just go and watch a game and people need to know where he is 24 hours a day,” Adams said.

But the folks who blew it out of proportion were either Young’s friends or Young’s coach. Whatever Fisher said to the cops caused them to commence a search for the player and to put police negotiators on stand-by. As a police officer whom we know told us today, such measures are employed only when authorities believe that the person is a danger to himself or others.

So, basically, someone has some explaining to do to Young, and even if Fisher isn’t to blame for blowing it all out of proportion, the relationship between the two men surely isn’t in the same condition it was yesterday at this time.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Vinny or Zorn don't deserve another year after what we will endure. A good coach implements his scheme to fit the players he has. That obviously didn't happen with this West Coast garbage. Don't convince me that as well as the O-Line played last year,now they all stink. I'm not buying it at all. The offensive philosophy sucks! The power running game is a staple of our franchise. We are NOT a soft, pass first, West Coast offensive team. More power runs with the guards & tackles pulling, more play action, and less 3 step drops and 3 yard passes. Also, get our coach out of Jacksonville and maybe we will get some toughness and intensity back!
We've turned into to other teams that run the West Coast offensne, SOFT!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Hmm - third stringer against third stringers doing well. Sounds good.

I'm all for benching him for now. He has a lot to learn about the league.

But he's not your typical rookie. He's put up big numbers against starters in today's nfl (granted, before they WERE starters.. but still). He's about the same age as Soup.

I bet you'll see him before you're saying. I would think by next year if Soup doesn't work out.

Either way I'm psyched we have him. I believe the league missed the boat on Mr. Brennan and I think he's going to make it. Hopefully with us.

Posted by: Dik | September 9, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 3:07 PM

I thought I read it was Youngs family that called. I can see why after a bad game ended in injury Youngs family may be concerned that he was taking it hard.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 9, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm fascinated by the Zorn/Campbell shotgun thing. Campbell is well suited to using the shotgun. But is that the issue????

I think its not about Zorn or Campbell. The WCO is Vinny's vision. Zorn is here to execute Vinny's vision. That is why he was brought here as OC, before a HC was hired. I suspect every HC candidate had to sign off on using the WCO (ie Vinny's vision) or they were eliminated from consideration.

Vinny wants his own legacy. For him, the past 4 years have been Gibbs-interuptus.

Since Campbell is Gibbs guy, I don't know if Vinny cares if he fails. If that's so, force the WCO down his throat and if he wins, great. If not, Vinny changes QBs to Colt.

Zorn may realize that he needs to adjust his game plan to fit Campbell's talents. But will Vinny let him?

It wouldn't shock me if Zorn were already being torn by what Vinny wants from him and from what Zorn sees in this team. Using Campbell in the shotgun is how some of this power struggle may be playing out.

There is no evidence that Vinny is on the hook for anything. As long as he keeps losing at racquetball, his position seems secure. Unless ... 2008 is a meltdown year and Zorn turns out to be an obviously bad HC. If Snyder replaces coaches, he'll look for Cowher. And I doubt that Cowher has any interest in working for Vinny.

One conclusion ... the amount we see of Campbell in the shotgun may based on how Vinny feels about his job security.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 9, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Doug Williams won the Heisman?

Posted by: SMACK | September 9, 2008 3:06 PM

Danny Weurfel

Posted by: BobOh | September 9, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

corky, you complete me....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 9, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

.. I had the real Royal on my FF team ... on the bench.

Posted by: dcsween | September 9, 2008 2:45 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how sween had the REAL Royal on a FANTASY bench...(btw, which one is real Eddie or Robert?)

Posted by: as always, stumped? | September 9, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 2:25 PM

I got the link from pft........

Posted by: 4th | September 9, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Quotes from TMQ on ESPN:

"Trailing 13-0 in the first half, the Redskins faced fourth-and-1 at midfield against the Giants. You're down by two scores against the defending champions, you cannot seriously be punting from midfield! Boom goes the punt. Now trailing 16-7 with 10 minutes remaining, the Skins faced fourth-and-6 on their own 26. They still need two scores, and now the clock is fading. Punt and you might as well leave to get blueberry-almond martinis. Rookie head coach Jim "Dan Snyder Hasn't Fired Me Quite Just Yet" Zorn sends in the punt unit, and TMQ wrote the words "game over" in his notebook....

Otherwise, coaches too often play to restrain the margin of defeat, rather than go all-out to attempt to win, which may increase the margin of defeat. Trailing 16-7 in the fourth quarter, Zorn was essentially running up the white flag by ordering a punt. By that point, tactically he was playing for a close loss to the defending champions, which would look better on his résumé than a big defeat. Coaches in his situation may think, "If we punt, I surrender all chance of victory, but retain a decent chance of having the game end as a close defeat. If we go for it, I keep alive a small hope of victory, but risk a bigger defeat." Coaches then decide to do what is best for them personally in career terms, rather than risk everything for a win."

I must say, I have to agree with him.

Posted by: psps23 | September 9, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

X-E = X-E

Posted by: X-E | September 9, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dik | September 9, 2008 3:10 PM

I like him too. I didn't say he WOULD be a career backup. All i'm saying is that he's an unkown and either way isn't ready to start. I hope in a couple years to be thinking that the skins got a steal.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, psp. I like Easterbrook, he does make it seem incredibly cut and dried, and from his perspective, the decisions are exponentially much easier.

Posted by: Greg | September 9, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Hee, hee, hee!

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 9, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Alex,

They alread ARE on our team. Vinny is on the left and The Danny is on the right.

That's the new linebacker in the middle...

Posted by: Dik | September 9, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan probably played very few NFL starters. Do you know he played at Hawaii in a conference no one has heard of?

JC played against probably 5 times as many NFL starters than Colt, that doesn't mean anything either way, just saying that's a bad way to judge players.

Posted by: The Truth | September 9, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

4th, do you not believe Vince or his agent?

taken from PFT:

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 3:07 PM

I believe neither. I believe there was some physical harm done/imatated to someone, otherwise SWAT wouldn't have been put on stand by notice.

The agent has a motive too. The next contract.

I can see NAshville being a place where things would be kept under wraps tighter than bigger city.......

Posted by: 4th | September 9, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Zorn was right to punt with 10 minutes left.

Where he was wrong was when he got the ball back with 6 minutes and didn't go hurry up. I'm pretty sure every fan knew that, how could the coach and players not?

A lot of people criticized Gibbs for 'playing not to lose' instead of 'playing to win'. But by not going up tempo on that 'drive' that began with 6 minutes to go -- that was 'playing to lose'.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 9, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 9, 2008 3:04 PM

Written with the heartfelt insight and empathy of a man who bears the same burden himself!

Posted by: motivator | September 9, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

psp,

do you like pink psp?

Posted by: Dik | September 9, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Haha, DoubleMove lives up to his nickname

From the Steinbog:

"Rogers: 'I don't miss too many in practice, but at the same time, in games, they're trying to double move me. If I went looking at the quarterback thinking, 'I'm gonna pick,' he'll be up the sidelines. So it ain't just as simple as people look at it--'Oh, Carlos just missed that.' No, it's like by the time I look at it that ball's in my face, I'm trying to put my hands up quick."

Posted by: swb | September 9, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Al Zeke made a good point in stating his 40% case. The skins making 20% of their draft picks on Linemen is just not going to cut it in the NFC East. I still think we need to take a big CB with our 1st pick. But then just devote the rest of the draft to best available linemen (specifically O-Line) in the rest of the rounds, maybe pick up a OLB with one of those day 2 picks. I don't think waiting on Andrew Crummey & Justin Geisinger to become the next Jeff Bostic and Russ Grimm is going to cut it.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | September 9, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 3:18 PM

how can he be an unknown but we sure he's not ready to start? I'm not ready to give up on Campbell just yet, but if we're 0 and 5 I will be, and I will want to see Colt. What we've seen from Colt is that in college, against teams of similar talent to his, he was other worldly, against a team that had superior talent to his he was beat up and played poorly, in the NFL to date playing with players of similar talent (all 3rd stringers) he had statistically one of the best preseasons in the league, look sharp, quick, and commanding.....so why do we just assume that he's not ready to play if he were to get on the field against 1st stringers if he's playing with 1st stringers also. I get tired of people dismissing Colt because of the Georgia game when he got hurt halfway through and was playing with nowhere near the same talent level he was playing against!

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

4th, do not trade a starting stud running back for anything less than a stud QB. RBs are the life blood of FF. If you have one, hold on to him. Stud RBs, especially those that get touches at or near the goalline, are going to get you more points week to week than a QB. What happens if one of your other RBs gets hurt? Have you considered the bye week? There are tons of stop gaps out there at QB and WR that you can get before trading Turner, who coming into this season was viewed as a hot FF commodity - that's why you drafted him.
Don't do it.

Posted by: This is your conscious | September 9, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: swb | September 9, 2008 3:26 PM

Hmmm...other CBs, LBs, Safeties manage to intercept the ball while covering people...

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 9, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I think I have the saddest, lamest FFL team ever. I'm sort of thrilled in the "Wow I can't believe they made this movie it's so bad" while watching Show Girls kinda way.

I presume there has been some jibba jabba up in here about this but it seems like a middle school student council meeting right now in the Skins locker room. We need a good showing Sunday or this thing is going to be ugly for a while.

On the other hand I did feel a little better watching the Raiders last night . . . sheesh. . . Lane Kiffin ran off the sidelines at the half before everyone else. Bet part of him felt liking running right to the parking lot.

Posted by: sfskin | September 9, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say they are looking for a head coach ?

Posted by: Russ Grimm | September 9, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Russ,

Try the Seahawks...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: This is your conscious | September 9, 2008 3:28 PM

This HAS to be my conscious because that is exactly what I plan on doing. Thanks for blogging your guts, eh, spirit out too!

Like I said, no way I'm trading Turner, UNLESS I get offered at least 3 different players of good value.

Al Zeke - Email me your latest offer w/o Turner in it........

Posted by: 4th | September 9, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Damn, I wonder if anyone will give me some love ?

Posted by: Russ Grimm | September 9, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

unfortunately i can't watch videos at work right now.

Posted by: psps23 | September 9, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Young's family called the team out of concern for his well-being. He left the home without saying where he was going and without his cell phone and in a bad state of mind. This all followed him being criticized for his sorry on-field performance and what appeared to be a refusal to go back in the game when his coach asked him. His family, who knows him better than anyone, felt concerned enough that they got the team involved. There is obviously some history here that cause everybody to get so alarmed and to call the authorities.

Posted by: LH | September 9, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 3:28 PM

Because he's a rookie. Rookie QBs are never ready especially on a team with a suspect OL

Posted by: BobOh | September 9, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Big Ben
Tom Brady
Vince Young (offensive MVP rookie year, looked like crap since but was ready year one)
McNabb
Vick (falcons to playoffs year one)
Cutler had a good year as a rookie

there are plenty of rookies who play well right away, there are plenty who don't also, but there are plenty of 4th year guys who are about all out of excuses who don't too

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

We've turned into to other teams that run the West Coast offensne, SOFT!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 3:09 PM

Well there's that and the fact that new coaches will generally put there own staff in place AND pick players that suit what they want to do.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 9, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Either way the Skins will go 1-15 this season fire Zorn and then start Colt Brennan next year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 9, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Vince and Vick are runners and needed to be. They both looked awful passing. The rest played for well coached teams, all of whom put an emphasis on the OL. That's not the case here. And Brady didn't start until almost halfway through year 2.

Posted by: BobOh | September 9, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

actually no, Brady started a couple games for an injured Bledsoe his rookie year and played great, he then won the superbowl as the starter in year 2....get it right

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

+++the odds of a 2nd round WR pick being a success in the NFL is about 1/3 and the odds of him being a stud is about 1/10. Why pick 2 guys? To improve your odds. I have no problem with that. Thought the Spaghetti Gang was smart to do that.-_Al, ZEKE

As the man once said, “lies, damn lies and statistics.” The odds of picking a good receiver don’t double because a team picks TWO, when it’s the SAME “experts” doing the picking. The skins have been picking WR with with first and second round picks unsuccessfully since Art Monk.--CORKCZAR

+++I do not understand a TE with a 2nd round pick when there is a young Pro Bowl TE already on the team. At best, this guy won't be an every down player.+++ Al, Zeke

Barring injury to CC, I agree.--CORK

+++Did not understand picking Colt, though there might be something to that one as things evolve.+++-_Al, ZEKE

The ‘skins have done better with low round QB picks than high. Of course with Ramsey and shuler, the curve is lousy to begin with. But still: Frerotte, Trent Green, Sage Rosenfeld, have panned out—FOR OTHER TEAMS.

The fact that Zorn wanted Colt and he was available that low (6th round) makes him an excellent selection IMO.—CORK

+++Didn't understand Brooks, as he isn't enough of an upgrade over the previous guy to justify a pick.+++

Much too soon to tell. Give them a season, at least. Frosty lookd good last nite.---CORK

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"I call bulls**t on the way this blog entry is worded to make it look like jason taylor was beaten badly in the run game vs the giants. when actually a great majority of the giants rushing yards were at andre carter...when the giants ran left at(our defenses right/carters side) they averaged 8.7 yards per carry. running at jason taylor they averaged only 3.8ypc...once again the washpost agenda making every thing about the redskins seem negative by twisting and contorting things to fit their negative stance...

Posted by: X-E | September 9, 2008 1:56 PM

Otay, the how about adding up Taylor's total sacks and tackles against Carolina, Jacksonville and the Giants. Don't worry, X-E, you won't have to remove your shoes and socks to come up with the answer.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 9, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

+Sorry - just a little confused. Is Tango playing on Sunday or what?

Posted by: Dik | September 9, 2008 2:18 PM+++

Tango...he's that Ghost Hunters guy, right?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

+++Jason Taylor looked bad last week and he was not in game shape. How much is injury and how much is conditioning? Hard to tell. He got moved around a lot by the Jints line.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 9, 2008 2:19 PM+++

And, of course, that 30 pounds of muscle he'll add to his sylph-like dancer's frame.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 9, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

The solution here seems obvious.

If Taylor is dinged, you make him the designated pass rush specialist and play Demetric Evans on the run downs.

If this is going to be a season long injury that may lead to offseason surgery, I don't see any other course to follow.

Taylor getting blown off the ball in short yardage should be telling Greg Blache something.

Richie Petitbon used situation substitution as a way of getting top 10 performances out of a defense that never had more than 2 or 3 legitimate pro bowlers on it.

Posted by: Roy Hobbs | September 9, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

The solution here seems obvious.

Posted by: Roy Hobbs | September 9, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Blache needs to start Evans at DE and use Taylor as a pass rusher to save the wear and tear on his knee.

Right now Taylor isn't giving you anything on first and second down anyway.

Situation substitution was the key to getting by on injuries when Richie Petitbon was here and it still has a place in the NFL, although it seems that the Patriots and Colts are the only ones that use it to any great effect.

Posted by: Roy Hobbs | September 9, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Didn't have time to read all the comments, so this might've been said. But shouldn't Zorn give JCam two plays to run each time? That seemed to work last year when Gibbs did this last year in the games against Dallas and TB; his best statistical games of his career. I don't think people give him enough credit for his ability to read defenses. If you give him two plays every play call, then he can either audible or run a hurry up offense on the next play, maybe catching the defense off balance. This wouldn't only help during the majority of the game, but also when they need a hurry up offense. Just my armchair coach thoughts.

Posted by: Trey | September 10, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse