Taylor: "Next Few Days Will Tell A Lot"

Encouraged because his right knee injury is not as serious as initially feared, defensive end Jason Taylor still hopes to play in the season opener, Jason Reid reports.

"In a perfect world, I'd like to play Thursday but it doesn't count, so I won't be there Thursday for sure," Taylor said yesterday of the final preseason game. "After that it's live games and I'm not one for missing games."

Taylor sprained his right knee in the first half of Saturday's 47-3 loss to Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium. X-rays taken during the game were negative and an MRI exam Sunday did not reveal tendon damage, the Redskins said, so Taylor, 33, could return as early as Sept. 2.

But the Redskins are expected to exercise caution with Taylor, who could be out at least two weeks from when the injury occurred, which would jeopardize his streak of starting in 130 straight regular-season games. Although Taylor did not need crutches, he wore a bulky brace to immobilize his knee.

"I'm still in a big brace because it won't support itself yet, but we have some time," Taylor said. "The next few days will tell a lot."

The Redskins acquired Taylor, who last missed a game in 1999, on the first day of training camp after defensive ends Phillip Daniels and Alex Buzbee suffered season-ending injuries. In the first half Saturday, his leg became entangled in a pile ("I tried to pull my leg out and couldn't get it out with the fat guys in there," Taylor said) and his teammates encircled him and prayed as Washington's medical staff tended to Taylor.

"It's scary getting stuck in a pile like that and things happen," Taylor said. "We understand it's the game of football, but thank God it's not as bad as I thought."

Two Redskins officials flanked Taylor as he limped off the field under his own power. Taylor was examined on a training table before being carted to the locker room for X-rays.

"At that point, you just want to figure out what's wrong and get off the field so everyone could stop staring at you," he said. "But it took a lot longer that I had hoped."

While Taylor was on his back on the field, he was told that "everything seemed stable and it wasn't anything big," he said. "But you never know until you get the MRI and the MRI was promising. There were some things in there but nothing bad. I'm happy to be able to come back and play. At what point, we'll have to wait and see."

Although the streak is important to him, Taylor said he would be smart about his rehab. "It's something you take pride in because you don't miss games," said Taylor, who was slowed in practice recently because of plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the tissue running across the bottom of the foot. "I've been beat up before during the seasons, nicks and bruises. It's a part of the game.

"But to be able to play through those things, and always show up on Sundays, it's something I do take pride in. But some things are out of your control, too. There are a lot of guys in here that would like to never miss a game. Unfortunately, for them, they can't always do that. So, we'll see. I don't want to miss one now, but some things are out of our control."

During the streak, Taylor said he has played with a broken arm, broken thumbs and knee injuries. "I put a cast on" the broken arm, Taylor said. "I do want to be back, but I have to be smart, too, because it's a long year. If it's not right, it's just not right."

By Cindy Boren  |  August 25, 2008; 3:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Offensive Players Want to Play Thursday
Next: Goode Released; Verdun-Wheeler Back

Comments

Posted by: Better late than never | August 25, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Fingers crossed...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 25, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

FIRST!

Posted by: Kelli Johnson is Hot | August 25, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

1st? Maybe if I didn't stop to read the article.

JT MUST be ready in 11 days, PERIOD.

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

LOL!

Posted by: Kelli Johnson is Hot | August 25, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see or read much about the game (47-3, whats there to say). Just curious, how did the Skins d look with and without Taylor?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

Thats because they don't know how to play the game, they don't have any good tacticians, they still think they are supposed to move the candidates to the center, when that stopped working after Clinton's 92 campaign.

The Dems have a lot of good grassroots talent types, many of my friends are in that thing, and they dedicate themselves. But they have very little brilliance in terms of their managers, the guys who frame the message. The GOP is great at framing their message to draw people in.

They called Dona Brazil a genus for her get out the vote efforts in 2000, which had one of the lowest electoral turnouts in history.

Its part of why I never joined the Dem. Party, they can't politic their way out of a wet paper bag, and they hate anyone who tells them so.
Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 3:51 PM

Posted by: repost | August 25, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

if jason taylor was playing football in 1990 to miss a game, we are in more trouble then i thought

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I've had the best 20-year career ever.

Posted by: Jason Taylor | August 25, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Obama may as well start practicing his concession speech... It was going to be a close one but Biden ended what might have been his shot

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Pre-injury ... fair

Post-injury ... craptaculous !!!

Posted by: Ray B. | August 25, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Last missed a game in 1990? Thats quite a streak for a 33 year old.

Posted by: oops | August 25, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

As if I'd pay attention to some lame newbie on a blog.

How many times have you ever ran for president there, bucko?

Posted by: Barrack Obama | August 25, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

its unspeakable of what might become of this country if mccain wins, 4 more years of the gop in the white house after 8 years of the worst administration in history, yeah we would be in more trouble then now, enjoy 6 dollar gas and at leat 4 more years of soldiers getting killed in iraq and probably a conflict with iran and russia, oh and its not like we'll get tax breaks, unless we're millionaires

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Barrack thought you had a shot seriously Joe Biden what were you thinking!!??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

u mean blazer or me?

Cuz I'd admit, I have only worked on a senate campaign and a little in this presidential.

But I did run for class treasurer and lost. So I think that may give me more campaign experience than most the democratic strategists.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I felt like the D decided to phone it in after Taylor went down. I'm sure it furt morale and I'm also sure there was a thought that "I'm not going to get myself hurt too in a game that doesn't matter." I'm not worried about the D at all as long as Landry plays.

The pass protection needs to get a lot better. I think Zorn will find that this offense performs best if you establish the running game first and then ask them to protect. They need to get the blood flowing and be the aggressors.

Posted by: Mike H. | August 25, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Correction: 1999.

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, fellas, it's clear I was talking to both of you ninkompoops.

I'm about people, and sadly neither of you appear to be people I'm about, so therefore I am not about you people in the least.

To sum it up, you two are frauds.

Posted by: Barrack Obama | August 25, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

its unspeakable of what might become of this country if mccain wins

Posted by: Anonymous |
-----
I don't know about the rest of you, but I say limit the political chatter up here. There are plenty of political articles with comment sections on WaPo where you to opine. And if you absolutely must post something off [Redskins] topic, at least be man (or woman) enough to not be "Anonymous".

Posted by: RambleOn | August 25, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Who would've been better and why?

No one else had experience in international poilitics......

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

fyi landry practiced today

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

We want Colt!!!

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

..enjoy 6 dollar gas and at leat 4 more years of soldiers getting killed in iraq..
Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 3:58 PM

1. Gas will go up no matter what. Nothing the president can really do about it other than pro-activly try and work toward new fuel, which is going to take more than 4 years to change over to anyway, do what I did, move into a city and don't own a car.

2. Best case scenario with either of them gets us out of Iraq in year 3, and leaves the military contractors, they need to still profit from this war, and probably 20-40k troops, hopefully not in the cities though. Odds are they are going to get the same advice from the same generals.

Both sides get money from the defense sector and big oil, even if the presidents don't the rest of their party is.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Sorry just practicing for week 8...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

As a political junkie, I'm all over this stuff. Even spoke to one of the prez candidates on the phone. but I'm with RambleOn. This blog is for the important stuff, not for politics.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

guys-

laron practiced today.

thats huge.

nobody panic!

Posted by: dwdjmu | August 25, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I have one question about politics. When you people look at McCain, Biden, Obama, etc., etc., do you REALLY see different people?

It continues to amaze me that the majority of the US population buys into the belief that these people are at all different. Obama criticizes McCain for taking money from oil companies, McCain says "I took over 1 mil, but you took 500 thou!". It's petty, corrupt crap throughout our government, whether you've bought into the silly idea of a blue state or the silly idea of a red state. It's all the same.

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Al Z hey to be the one to break it to you but that was a recording...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Al Z hate to be the one to break it to you but that was a recording...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Richardson had more expertise in that area than Joe. I would have gone for someone more wild-card like myself. Maybe some non-profit executive that did international work.

Also Ramble, you will find we tend to do politics and stuff here because 90% of the time its more civil than on other parts of the post blogs.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

No Tendon damage? Don't you mean ligament?

Posted by: Not a Doctor | August 25, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Roster Move
The Redskins have released Burl Toler, a second-year WR out of Cal.

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

trail -- it actually wasn't ... but I like the comment!!

I also once worked directly for the Sec of Treasury.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Not a doctor do you play one on TV??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Thats it the season is over they released BURL!!??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Even I don't know who I am!

Posted by: Burt Toler | August 25, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"I'll take s-words for $500"

Posted by: Burt Reynolds | August 25, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Truth,

u know me, I probably buy into it the least. But I just love the strategy stuff.

Personally I find it Ironic, people use this "us vs them" "red/blue" "dem/repub" mentality but then the "them they identify is really us" and the real "them" laughs all the way to the bank.

I think 90% of the country want's the same things, the basic concept of Life Liberty Happiness, then there are 2.5% who want a religious theocracy, 2.5% who want a corporate dictatorship, 2.5% who want a libertarian utopia, and another 2.5% who want a socialist utopia / communist utopia. That 10% fights it out constantly when the rest of the country comes along for the ride.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Trebek!

Posted by: Sean Connery | August 25, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

You know I cant resist... spot on truth... you as well zeese and zeke;

Look, it is the same reason there is still the haves and the have nots... if they werent the have nots, the haves wouldnt have anyone to step on to 'reach the top'... the same holds true for politics, Dems need Repubs and vice versa.

Do you really thing any politician wants to be held to their voting record or personal beliefs no one would be president.

They just expect people to vote party lines and then swing the vote.

NO PARTY SYSTEM!

RANT OFF

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 3:58 PM

Enjoy $6 gas because a GOP in the White House? Retarded. Were ANWAR not blocked by Dems gas would be much, much lower right now.

Clinton could have spurred infrastructure improvements at refineries so that the Katrina didn't shut down capacity.

We just signed an agreement to get out of Iraq in less than 2.5 years yesterday. There called current events, try to keep up.

Fighting with Iran and Russia= Pure speculation.

Tax and budgets are controlled by the U.S. Senate currently in the hands of the Democrats. Tell your boys to grow some back bone instead of cowering and blaming the repubs.

You've been punk'd!

Posted by: Ashton Kuecher | August 25, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Dolly Parton!

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

ALRIGHT, if we really must combine politics and football on this blog, what is that statistic about AFC or NFC teams winning the super bowl in election years determining which party wins the presidency? It's like a perfect correlation for the last several decades or something.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 25, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

some how I don't expect this 2.5 year thing to work out... just a hunch

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

And you shouldnt Zeese. No president will be able to get them out. Any general worth his salt wont sacrifice the last 10 K, which you know would be disaterous, since then the peeps who want to hurt them could and would.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

RambleOn

There was the thing with Skins MNF wins and parties retaining control of the WH. But that got busted in 2004. Just like how Georgey Porgy was supposed to get caped in office, but that got broke up by RR.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

2.5 years that laughable...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I seem to remember a stat with the Redskins winning or losing the first game of the year coinciding with whoever wins the presidential election on election years.

Anyone??

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

If I want to have conversations about energy prices, I'd do my job.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

All right Marcus haters and Marcus appreciaters the kid will get the start this week to show his stuff with the first string line. Now we will see what he got!!!! Breaking news about the kid getting the start...... Hate on haters he will play well and earn this spot once and for all.......... Now please note that the line is playing very bad right now but if they give him some blocking he will do the rest...

Posted by: Football Fan #1 | August 25, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

They're both puppets people; unless you are a member or the NAACP or Religious Right neither of these guys will do anymore than placate you with lip service.

Let's worry about things that matter like whether or not Kendall is too old to effectively run the counter tray.

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Write a number, it doesn't matter what number, just write a number............

Posted by: Alex Trebek | August 25, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I have not seen anything on the particulars of the deal, but does it require a corporate withdrawal by us too? If we don't pull out the contractors then we are still going to be there because 1 week of them getting shot up will change the timetable.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

.5 years thats laughable...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

69, Trebek. 69.

Posted by: Jenna Jameson | August 25, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

oh whatever you know what I meant

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

90/50 hindsight?

Posted by: Yogi Berra | August 25, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"Just curious, how did the Skins d look with and without Taylor?"

I don't think it was a coincidense that it was only 6-0 until he got hurt. Sure, the offensive line looked like a "jailbreak" with Carolina's D everytime but again that was the score when he left.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 25, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

.5 years thats laughable...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 4:25 PM

Sorry you just keep speculating, cause the internets is never wrongs. I mean I'm more apt to listen to you than oh I dunno an agreement between governments.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Skinz,
the religious right gets the lip service this time. McCain is backed by the military contractors and the guys who put the chip in his brain when he was a POW.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

8.5 inches, Trebek?

Posted by: Peter North | August 25, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

since when are government estimates on either time or money accurate?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

8.5 inches, Trebek?

Posted by: Peter North | August 25, 2008 4:28 PM

That all you got? Shoot I am not even a legend for mine.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey anyone remember that agreement that Germany made not to invade Poland?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

BUTTER

Posted by: Butter McButter | August 25, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Lol Alex.

Sorry but McCain is now a Pro-Life Presidential candidate committed to putting a pro lifer in the Supreme Court if a spot is vacated.

Anyway no more politics for me.

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

If Mason is starting this week he butter step it up and get greasy between the tackles. This kid is not slow like molasses, he's drippy like butter. Give 'em the seasoning, Mason, prove you're butter than Rock! Yum!

Posted by: Butter McButter | August 25, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Ha, that reminded me of the Rob Riner on South Park.

Erugh, Butter!

Did he just say butter?

BUTTER!

covered Riner in butter to get him through the car door.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Pro-life never mattered. Bush didnt change Rowe V Wade, so neither will McCain. I am not basing my vote on something that wont change.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Your mother Trebeck

Posted by: Sean Connery | August 25, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

4 days, 19 hours, and 53 minutes from the time of this posting.

YEAH

Posted by: The Truth | August 25, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it Ironic how McCain, the right-wing so supposedly less sociliest of the two, but only second if you add in the 4 other major candidates, is the only one who has lived a truly communist lifestyle with government funded housing, and medical care, (except that time he was a POW).

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Zebra my comments were showing his pandering to the religious right not the issue itself.

I both agree and disagree most pro life justices even consider Roe V Wade as established law at this point. One more pro lifer on the court and who knows who changes their mind however.

Posted by: Skinz | August 25, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Colt for VP!

The job basically has no power if the prez doesn't give it any so it would be perfect.

QB by day! VP by night!

Posted by: sfskin | August 25, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Ask not for whom the bell Tolers...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

this was a Redskins blog? Why are we talking politics?

Posted by: I thought | August 25, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

since when are government estimates on either time or money accurate?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 4:29 PM

Never eva.......

Posted by: 4th | August 25, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Personally skinz; it is a muddled issue.

I have never been pro choice. But I dont want to get into the wheres and whys... just my stance with my signature on it. Not a strafing troll...

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I thought did you watch the game Saturday?

Posted by: trailblazer302 | August 25, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

That wasnt bad anon, not great, but good.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

this was a Redskins blog? Why are we talking politics?

Posted by: I thought | August 25, 2008 4:40 PM

Hear, hear! Let's talk football. (1) Is Jansen done? (2) Is JC the franchise QB or Patrick Ramsey II?

That's why we're talking abortions.

Posted by: Mull It | August 25, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

1) After this year

2) Jurys still out

3) hahahaha

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mull It | August 25, 2008 4:47 PM
-------
The O-line Saturday reminded me seriously of the Spurrier years. I'm not saying Ramsey would have been a great QB, but I do think he was "ruined" as a rookie by playing too early and spending a good portion of the season on his arse in pain.

Same could happen to Campbell this season I'm afraid.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 25, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I felt like the D decided to phone it in after Taylor went down. I'm sure it hurt morale ...

Posted by: Mike H. | August 25, 2008 3:59 PM

Cooley said as much on his blog ... something about guys hanging their heads and having round shoulders after the first half, just waiting for half-time.

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Why are we talking politics?

Posted by: I thought | August 25, 2008 4:40 PM

Agreed ... I'd much rather talk about religion ... (or, at least, what's on my mind most Sundays in the fall).

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I think Campbell is a little behind in his knowledge of the playbook. Think about it this way.

All OTA's and pReseason practicing the basics. Get to game 1, plays well. All thoughts actions are automatic. He has been practicing it.

Past game 2 and more plays being installed. Camp breaks so he isnt getting as many reps. He has to process the info quicker.

Game 4 is upon us, newer plays with only one practice a day to get ready. Maybe we didnt script our plays,. It sure didnt look like it. Or maybe that was the problem.

But either way JC had no time to react so he started thinking. You see the double clutches etc...

I think Zorn needs to take the reigns off and let him sink or swim. Throw it when you see it, if it is an int so be it. But he is a worse QB when being hesitant than he is being foolhardy.

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

O-line has to get back to smash mouth blocking and can anyone tackle on def? Rocky Mc looks like he is not back to his old ways at LB yet but how could he be back 100% so soon. I've seen him get burned a few times that he's been in there.

What were those qoutes the other day? "Taxpayers voting for Obama is like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders" Or "Obama for change. That's all you'll have in your pockets". Oh sooooo true dat.

Posted by: RBB | August 25, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Ray, thanx for the update on when Taylor got hurt. Seems the game was close ... and then the floodgates opened after her left. Not sure if its as simple as that, but worth noting.

Alex ... I realize there is a distinction to be made, but technically when McCain was a POW, he was getting government housing and care. Just not our government ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Bit of a rough day for Colt Brennan, as the gunslingerish passes that he’d been completing over the start of preseason were not working out for him today — two interceptions by Carlos Rogers, one by LaRon Landry, and at least one batted ball, all during drills. The glass-half-full approach is that the defense was properly fired up after Saturday’s disaster and wanted to make sure they handed it to the scout team, if you want to think of it that way.

----------------------------

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Coach Z,
Please run the ball if you see that our guys can't pass block. We have plenty of RB's to wear out. (Hey Betts, learn to hold on to the rock too). Give it to Sellers even. Just run the ball to ease up the pass rush. Teams know you want to pass the ball so they pin the ears back and come after JC. What about a pitch out or a reverse to slow the def down. Do something other than dropping JC back all the time.

Posted by: RBB | August 25, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna start posting "LAST"

++++I like the idea of Springs at FS and Laron back to SS. Landry can help with the run defense and you gotta think that having rogers, smoot, and springs on the field is much better than doughty in coverage.++++

Disagree. replacement FSs were almost ALWAYS late to the party, exposing CB's repeatedly on the deep ball. Putting Landry at Centerfield allows more press coverage from CBs who've lost a step in man to man skills.

In case you've forgotten, despite the tragic death of Taylor, moving Landry to FS is what changed the porous pass defense last year into something formidable enough to get the end of season run.

Now, by putting their BEST CB, Springs, at safety they weaken the CB position and leave Double Talk and Double Move back there without Landry to back them up.

The skins have two tought rookies in Moore and Horton who seem best suited to SS. If Doughty stinks it up like he did Thursday, I could see Kareem Moorse back there.

Posted by: corkczar | August 25, 2008 4:57 PM

Posted by: Corkczar | August 25, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thaddeus J. Zubricki | August 25, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Please can the political stuff.

Many of us come here as an escape from it.

Seriously it has no place here.

don't get me started.

Posted by: McCain Bites the Big One | August 25, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

+++ They should have started Colt Brennan last game to give him some experience against a 1st unit. I'm thinking he prolly will not be ready by this year but definitely by next year.

Posted by: Thaddeus J. Zubricki | August 25, 2008 5:07 PM++++

Good suggestion. What would Jim Zorn know about when to start a QB?

We kid because we love.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 25, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: corkczar | August 25, 2008 4:57 PM

Curious as to what you have observed that makes you say best suited for SS. I think they are both great but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this one, because I'm thinking Kareem Moore is a pure FS.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I call Double Move "Double Move" out of affection. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy at CB (since after the first few weeks last season). Its just that, even though all CBs get burned by WR jukes (the dreaded "double move"), Carlos Rogers was just the first one to come clean about it by calling it what it is ... in front of a media horde. Thus, he gets the name (for being direct and honest about it).

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"Don't know if anyone saw this on the "Official" Redskins blog but it seems Double Move McStone Hands picked off 2, count 'em, 2 passes today."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2008 5:04 PM

Finally, a comment that doesn't involve politics!

Posted by: GA_Skinz_Fan | August 25, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

E.Sugar3, I thought the same thing, only I thought that HORTON seemed like the natural at FS.

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Doughty played solidly in the last 4 games. Those last 4 were the Bears, a poor passing team. The Jints, where the wind was like an extra defender or two. The Vikes with Tavaris Jackson, who might not be good enough to start for the Bears ... and the boyz in a game with nothing on the line.

I think Doughty did OK in the playoff game ... Seattle only had 13 points in the 4th quarter.

The Skins defense was great down the stretch, but it will be interesting to see Doughty against better QBs in better conditions.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I said this before and (obviously after the Carolina game) nothing has changed much, but I think Kareem Moore and Chris Horton have earned their logos.

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Ditto re: Fred Davis (based on his special teams play) ... he's earned his logo ... maybe I'm confusing "logo" with "roster spot" ... but I think those three guys have earned their roster spots.

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

DCSween,

I just keep having these recollections of #48 (Horton) sacking the QB, so I guess I associate that with the SS which usually plays right up in the box as opposed to the FS which I associate as being the roaming outfielder. I think the guy is gonna be solid for us he likes to fly all over the place.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

WOW this is just silly "Merriman told reporters in San Diego on Saturday that he has a tear in his lateral collateral ligament as well as a grade-three tear of his posterior collateral ligament."

"I can't imagine not playing football this year," Merriman said in an interview at the San Diego airport with ESPN.com's Bill Williamson. "I really can't. That's what this is all about. I want to see that I can play ... I haven't made my decision yet, but I am going to do everything I can to play. That's what this is all about."

This guy says he is going to play...evry doctor has said you have tears and you can't play and this fool is going to keep going to doctors until one says yes....If he plays get ready...his career will be over...he will completely destroy his knee.

Posted by: Leevi | August 25, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

where's the "should have draft merriman over rogers" crowd?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

ESugar3, maybe I'm just confusing Sean Taylor with FS because he seemed to be the guy in the backfield for the kill shot. When both Taylor (FS) and Landry (SS) were on the field, I do remember Landry is being the spoiler more than ST. I know that it was early in the season when Grilliams changed from having "two safeties" into having a traditional FS/SS, so maybe that's were I get confused. Horton did seem to be the guy finishing things off though.

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

This is what the Skins site had today re: Jansen:

-- JANSEN'S FOOT

Jon Jansen is expected to be sidelined a couple of days as he recovers from a sprained foot from Saturday's preseason game against Carolina.

"The sprain is very low," Jim Zorn said. "We'll see how he comes out of it. He'll lose a little bit of practice time, but that's it."

After the game on Saturday night, however, Zorn said "[Jansen] heard something pop in there?" And that, if it was a low ankle sprain, then no dice, but if it was a high ankle sprain, then a few weeks.

I dunno. High? Low? Given that we won't find out how Jansen is doing until a regular season game, I hope it isn't at the cost of Jason Campbell's body parts.

Posted by: dcsween | August 25, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

DCSween,

I know in the beginning of the season they had Landry (SS) playing in the box and ST roaming the outfield. But then once the tradegy occured I think they eventually moved Landry out to FS and he used his speed to take advantage of the situation and did really well at FS ( Seahawks game 2Int's) .

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 25, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is no doctor, and he shouldn't play one at work.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is no doctor, and he shouldn't play one at work.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 5:32 PM

Give it a rest, I'm sure he's just parroting what the doctors have to say.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Well it turns out that once you're no longer on the 'roids it's harder to bounce back from an injury . . . apparently Merriman's brain hasn't caught up to that yet.

Wasn't he saying his career may be over 4 days ago?

Posted by: sfskin | August 25, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

You are invited to join my NFL 2008/09 Tipping Competition at http://www.OzTips.com

===================================================================
Comp Name: RI Tipping Comp!
Comp #: 151708
Comp Password: Redskins
===================================================================

To join:

1) Go to http://www.oztips.com/

2) Click the 'REGISTER' button on the homepage and set-up a Login (if you don't already have one with OzTips).

3) Once you have successfully registered a Username and Password, click the 'JOIN A COMP' button.

4) Enter the Comp # and Comp Password details above.

5) That's it! Full instructions on how to Tip can be found on the website by clicking on the 'Help' link in the top header.

Posted by: kost52 | August 25, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

As I recall in the spring of 2007 the RI hamsters were fully coked up about the o-line and it's inherent problems. Calling for drafts etc. etc. (me also)
Then we calmed down a bit. . . or really simply set our hair on fire about something else. . . .it seems our chickens are coming home to roost.
I feel like the o-line is held together with the proverbial wax and string and luck. We'll have great games but you cringe knowing how ugly it can get and probably will.

Posted by: sfskin | August 25, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Come on folks, join on in, it doesn't cost anything and all you do is each week, pick who you think will win each game of football! No peer pressure, but *nudge nudge* come on!

Posted by: kost52 | August 25, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Give it a rest, I'm sure he's just parroting what the doctors have to say.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 25, 2008 5:39 PM

A rest from what, scamp?

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of coked up, has anyone refilled OG Barno's water bowl ?

Posted by: Slippery Richard | August 25, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RambleOn | August 25, 2008 4:21 PM

Does anyone know how to see what good free agents are out there for the skins to go after for LB or DB, OL?

Posted by: Stivic | August 25, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Same could happen to Campbell this season I'm afraid.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 25, 2008 4:52 PM
----------------
Ahh, the Spurrier years. I remember Ramsey once saying that the O-line was looking so good that they might turn him into a "sissy" because he may never get touched. Also, Spurrier said that he wouldn't be spending long hours in the office because it didn't seem to be doing (Jim Haslett?) any good.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 6:00 PM

Sorry, that was me.

Posted by: Hanni Montani | August 25, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

love politics, hate it on RI....

Love me Jayson Taylor, one tough dude. I know he is suiting up for opening night, I just feel it.

Hail!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 25, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

TE, I just get tired of the bashers when the man hasn't even had a chance yet. I understand that we really sucked this weekend, it just seems like now people will look for any little thing to b!tch about when there is plenty of meaningful things to be worried about.

Posted by: scampbekk1975 | August 25, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Love me some Chris Larry, I'm hoping he will be suiting it OFF for me after opening night is over.

Posted by: Johnny Big Balls | August 25, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is no doctor, and he shouldn't play one at work.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 5:32 PM

Why not? You play a GM on the blog.

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice our offensive lineman's lack of concern for Jason Campbell each time that he was sacked?

Jansen literally got beat on the "safety" play to the inside, and WALKED away from Jason after the play was over!

I bring this up, because it happened EACH time Cambell was sacked on Saturday!

I think that this is a BIG deal. Yes, the offensive line sucked on saturday...BUT they showed NO concern for their Quarterback either!

This is damning towards Jason Campbell.

SOS please....SOS

Posted by: Richmond Redskin | August 25, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm sitting here watching a DVR'd recording of the game...am I the only one that noticed that?

Is it a big deal? I think that it is.

Cindy, did you notice this?

Posted by: Richmond Redskin | August 25, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I didn't notice it. Unless there was a real injury scare or a really nasty hit I don't see why it would matter.

Posted by: Hanni Montani | August 25, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hanni Montani | August 25, 2008 6:39 PM

If you watch the monday night football game tonight, watch to see what happens after the first sack...I think that you'll notice an offensive lineman either A) help his qb up B)an offensive lineman on his way to pick him up, but not make it before the qb does it himself.

Saturday night, neither happened.

Posted by: richmond redskin | August 25, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing. Since you just mentioned it I do seem to remember one particular play where the second Campbell hit the ground one player (I think it was Jansen) started walking away. At the time I did find it strange but thought nothing more of it. I really think it was out of frustration. You do make a good point though.

Posted by: Hanni Montani | August 25, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is no doctor, and he shouldn't play one at work.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 5:32 PM

Why not? You play a GM on the blog.

Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 6:11 PM

Zing!

Posted by: freakzilla | August 25, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

jm220 --

Since when does it take years of training to become a GM? Isn't the main skill knowing how to lose to the owner at racquetball?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the thursday night game will be televised on the NFL network? the falcons get so little support down here that their pre season games are on tape delay, i'll be in town for the Saints game to hang out with my sons and see my new grandaughter it will be good to see my hometown!!

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | August 25, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Richmond Redskin, the same exact thing happened with Ramsey and Jansen....and supposedly they were best friends! Guess Jansen is just not a thoughtful or courteous O lineman.

Posted by: Lisa | August 25, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag@aol.com, the game will not be on the NFL Network thursday night....it's being showing on NBC.

Posted by: Lisa | August 25, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

"Just curious, how did the Skins d look with and without Taylor?"

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 25, 2008 4:27 PM

Coincidence. He looked like a little kid playing with adults. Pushed all over. No hits. No hurries. No tackles. You should have kept me.

Posted by: Reynaldo Wynn | August 25, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

+++ "Taxpayers voting for Obama is like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders" +++

If he makes it as our President...we're all PLUCKED!!!

Posted by: RITCA | August 25, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | August 25, 2008 4:59 PM

GREAT IDEA!!!

Posted by: Matt Leinart | August 25, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I likes to Hug George Bush because he's so Huggalicious!

100 Years in IRAQ!

Stay the course!

Bring back Slavery!

Posted by: Johnny MacSame | August 25, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Midway through the second half...Taylor just got injured...Smith advanced a fumble forward from Williams...Not bad up to this point...except for the offensive lines apathy for our starting qb...everything looks fine.

between this point in the game and the end...the offensive lines apathy spreads throughout the offense, and REALLY affects Devin Thomas. This is an ISSUE that I haven't seen anyone raise yet! It matters in our #'s game when you consider our D-line, linebackers, and running backs #'s because we have another rookie WR who hasn't played a down yet, and conceivably is less game ready than THOMAS!

Posted by: richmond redskin | August 25, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Kost, the reason you're having trouble getting people to "tip" is because that sign-in process is long and tedious.

I've quit it three times, but I stuck it out today.

Just sayin'...

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 25, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

SOS please....SOS

Posted by: Richmond Redskin | August 25, 2008 6:25 PM

Posted by: Hanni Montani Imposter | August 25, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is no doctor, and he shouldn't play one at work.
Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 5:32 PM

Why not? You play a GM on the blog.
Posted by: jm220 | August 25, 2008 6:11 PM

Zing!
Posted by: freakzilla | August 25, 2008 6:59 PM

And I consider myself Exhibit A in the case against practicing without a license.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

"I believe the theory is that if the redskins win the sunday before the election, a republican wins the election, however, If I am right when I saw the Skins play in 04, they lost to green bay but GW still won the election."

I think the theory is if the Redskins win, the party in power will stay in power. If the Skins lose, the challengers win the White House.

I think this gets a better turnout than the actual vote. I know it's certainly more significant to Skins fans.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 25, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

He wrote that he used alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine during his teenage years to "push questions of who I was out of my mind".[20]

^ "Obama Gets Blunt with N.H. Students", Associated Press, Boston Globe (November 21, 2007). Retrieved on 2008-01-04. In Dreams from My Father, Obama writes: "Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it." Obama (1995), pp. 93–94. For analysis of the political impact of the quote and Obama's more recent admission that he smoked marijuana as a teenager ("When I was a kid, I inhaled."), see: Romano, Lois (January 3, 2007). "Effect of Obama's Candor Remains to Be Seen", Washington Post. Retrieved on 2008-01-04. Seelye, Katharine Q (October 24, 2006). "Obama Offers More Variations From the Norm", New York Times. Retrieved on 2008-01-04.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

"He wrote that he used alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine during his teenage years..."
Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:22 PM

Wrong blog, Anon. And is there a point coming any time soon?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 25, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbekk1975 | August 25, 2008 6:07 PM

Scamp,

I agree with you entirely. I didn't think I was bashing him but following up on sween's earlier post about Zorn's two different interpretations of the injury to Jansen's foot.

How's it going for you and the Mrs. on giving up cigarettes?

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Willie - everyone was up in arms when Clinton said he didn't inhale. Obama admits to doing pot and cocaine. Not to mention he is a frickin' lawyer. I think everyone knows about the rap on lawyers.

Isn't his wife, Michelle, the new Hillary? I don't want to hear any more "It Takes A Village" story.

Everyone is pissed at Bush, understandable. But I would much rather have McCain (a man who had the opportunity to get out of POW camp because the VietCong knew who his father was - Commander of Pacific Fleet - but he turned it down because of the Military Code of Conduct).

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

pretty easy to sift through this string being able to skip over all the political bs. people who talk politics (especially at times and places not designated for it) are among the most boring toolboxes walking the face of the earth.

get well 55

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Wrong blog, Anon. And is there a point coming any time soon?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 25, 2008 8:24 PM

Right. Is this a reason to vote for him or a reason to vote against him? This stuff about drugs and alcohol is so boring unless it occured in, say, the last five years.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

But other than talk flowery politics and parading around with his wife, what has Obama done? He's all words. He's a thinker.

McCain is a man of action.

And don't give me this crap about it being the wrong blog. There are a LOT of other non-redskins related posts through out all of these blogs (i.e. Jason and his duct tape stories, chris larry music interests, do I even have to mention UGA?)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know what the punting plan is for Thursday night? Frost sure helped himself last Saturday.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

yeah, when it's fourth down, one of the punters are going to take the snap from Albright and then kick it to the other team.

Ooohhh....football talk.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

And don't give me this crap about it being the wrong blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:35 PM

The reason it's the wrong blog is because no one here wants to respond to you. That's not why we're here.

You're sitting there beating your meat. You need to go to a politics blog if you want to do the in-and-out with someone.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I heard they are going to rotate the punters during the game which I assume is a good sign for Frost. Not sure who goes first.

Posted by: MJ | August 25, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

anyone know the line up for the Democratic convention?
What Ted Kennedy is going to be there? Think he'll run the option and endorse McCain instead?

Why not - Biden did:

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so this is what the offense was supposed to look like on Saturday...Geez, the seahawks don't look bad...the SCARY thing is how good Charlie Frye looks running a west coast offense! With a week less to learn it than jason campbell has! Cleveland obviously does not run the west coast.

And that's my beef with Campbell. He is our starter and should be! He has MORE potential than any qb on our roster.

However he is not the sharpest tool in the shed. That's my beef. The ability to learn and apply football knowledge. Look at Charlie Frye run zorn's offense tonight! And look how Jason has.

Posted by: Richmond Redskin | August 25, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

t-e,

You're about as annoying as The Truth. No one wants to hear you spew your crap about what you think about yourself and/or your evaluations.

And if Obama can interupt my football game with a commercial, I can interupt this football post.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MJ | August 25, 2008 8:41 PM

Frost may have been lucky Sunday, or maybe he's really improved. I'm guessing that they're keeping pretty careful tabs of how these guys are doing in practice and that if the competition's close -- which it has been so far -- they already know who's the better one to keep.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Frye was with Seattle last year. He's had a year with this system. That's what I don't get with some redskins fan. Not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

t-e,

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:44 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I'll keep it in mind.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I also heard that the Redskins are looking for a LB on the waiver wire. I know this because Vinnie told me when we played racquetball today.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't trust Frost. He has that one good shank in him, which is unnerving.

Posted by: MJ | August 25, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

He also slipped up and mentioned something about signing Michael Strahan for 9 million, since it looks like Jason Taylor will be out for 4 weeks.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

And when we were showering together and I dropped the soap, he laughed and said, "Just like Betts." Out of respect for Jack's kids, I can't say what happened next.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Richmond Redskin, Jason Campbell has had to "learn and apply" 7-8 different offensive systems - a NEW system EVERY year. You try doing that and see how sharp you are (especially when you have an O lineman backing into you). Jason is an intelligent young man - I've heard him interviewed numerous times and do not question his intelligence in the least.

Posted by: Lisa | August 25, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Richmond Redskin | August 25, 2008 8:42 PM

Hard to run an offense from the seat of your pants.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Politics/Toolboxery, etc: I don't care if they both dropped acid five minutes ago, either will be an improvement over the shtferbrains we have now. Can we all just celebrate that fact.

Football: Anyone watching MNF? Could really use some TK to get through another preseason game. Get well, Tony. Decent game though, for scouting fantasy sleepers.

Tipping: Come on folks, sign up (kost52 post above). I know you can write the write but can you walk the walk?

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

what happened to kornheiser?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Not gonna worry much about what happened vs Carolina. Every coach goes thru spells where things haven't worked. Joe Gibbs was 0-5 during his first season. He made adjustments and things worked out.

So Zorn sees he teams get destroyed during a preseason game. Its what Zorn does with this result that matters. A little adversity in preseason isn't always bad thing.

One thing that was certain last year in the closing run. The Skins team had great chemistry, great fight. They were more than the sum of their parts. That is the essence of good coaching.

Can Zorn find that chemistry in 2008? Its the same players.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, you gonna tip with Kost?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 25, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

from Wilbon on Kornheiser

...By the way, all the best to TK in his recovery after hernia surgery last week. He's recuperating at home. I've talked to him and he's fine.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Hernia, I think. Not sure if it was of the sports variety, or if there are others. Airport lounge hernia maybe.

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Willie, I am going to tip with kost, and all of the requisite immature homophobic posts that's likely to generate.

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 8:57 PM

Smack,

I just gave it my best shot and I can't register. Write the write: yeah. Walk the walk: yeah (take my word for it). Register the register: nope.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Smack, Kost,

I got my 12-year-old son to help me. Now I'm registered and I'm ready for some good old Tasmanian tipping.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Think how bad Frye looked last year. Think how much better JC will look this time next year. If we all take a deep breath, close our eyes, and hold on tight we will survive the up and down rollercoaster that I think this season is going to be. Well, maybe not all of us. Just the sufficiently coked up will make it to the end.

Posted by: ga_skins_fan | August 25, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Kost, Geelong looking good. Do they even need the playoffs in order to award them the championship ??

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Okay but the kid's not allowed to make your picks. He sounds like he's on top of things.

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Just the sufficiently coked up will make it to the end.
Posted by: ga_skins_fan | August 25, 2008 9:23 PM

Bro, you bring enuf to share?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 25, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I think an important distinction between what we were posting about politics earlier and what you posted is that we for the most part were not talking about the BS R vs B **** but rather the subtle problems of our political system as a whole.

Mocking both the Obama fans and the McCain fans and haters for their following flawed political organizations, and ideologies. Its all a game to these politicians - one like football in so many ways. Its like two coaches playing the same grind it out cross back and forth over the 50 a bunch of times a field goal here and there, no winner's and no 4th quarter.

FYI McCain was known as a party animal in college and finished near bottom of his class. Obama did coke and smoked pot in school, I don't know how he did academically off hand. Some of us can handle drugs, drinking, and can stop when we want, if you can't thats your problem, but don't hang your issues on someone else's head.

PS I edited this down and I think its still way to long. But i had 3-4 more paragraphs added.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 9:12 PM

SMACK, you sure you got the right place? That kinda stuff doesn't go down in RI, ya think?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 25, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I had to just pick a random state as when you select US it does not list actual US stats but ones from the Down Under.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

He sounds like he's on top of things.

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 9:24 PM

Hardly. I had to drag him off the World of Warcraft, and he wasn't happy about it. Next week he goes back to school so I can cut his WOW down to four hours a day.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I feel sick to my stomach that I picked the cowpies to win 1st week

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Alex35332.

email those lost paragraphs to flipthatswitch at gmail dot com.

lil' ladies out of town and i got time to discuss this with someone who sounds interesting.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 25, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I feel sick to my stomach that I picked the cowpies to win 1st week

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:31 PM

Alright, I'm out of this. Alex has a mean killer streak. He's picking who he thinks will win, not who he wants to win.

Alex, this is like voting. If the cowpies get enough votes, they win. Vote against them. Next you're going to tell me you're voting for Obama instead of Nader.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Yer a funny guy, TE, don't know why so many in here rag on ya the way they do.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 25, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

email those lost paragraphs to flipthatswitch at gmail dot com.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 25, 2008 9:32 PM

Did you read this, anon? Willie's asking you to tell him more about Obama's drug experiences. Don't disappoint him.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Willy, I would if I kept them. dumb move by me I didn't, it was mostly historical contextuality and stuff like that, a big long rant on drug influence on art and culture through history.

TE, I will either vote Nader (maybe green or libertarian) or not vote at all this year. Voting to me is the most useless part of our system. I prefer all the other parts of our democracy, lobbying and stuff like that, it gets you so much more of what you want than pulling that lever.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I agree, I enjoy TE's ramblings and rumblings.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, Alex. If you want to pick the pokes to lose, @ Cleveland can't be a bad time to do it.

TE is just misunderstood. The people who rag on him are the ones who don't get it. So it's pretty entertaining.

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:42 PM

Nader's fine. Libertarian's fine. Just don't vote for Dallas again, okay? It's not worth it just to win a tipping competition in a random state in Australia.

By the way, if you're faced with the choice again, the correct state is Tasmania. As in, "She took off her clothes and showed me her map of Tasmania."

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I hate the cowboys but still took 3 on my fantasy team. owens, folk and their D. made me sick to my stomach every time.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I really love this system where you can post as anyone. The kind words from smack, Willy (which he may be reconsidering), and Alex? I wrote them all.

Now I'm going to do Nate, Greg, dcsween, Truth. It'll be deep. Get out of the way or you'll get it on your pants legs.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 25, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

U can sub "TE" for 50% of the guys on here in that sentence Smack. The point is most of us here love football, and other than a few exceptions, the skins. I have said it before and will again. Thats why so many of us get off topic, we have that key thing in common and it makes everything else work out.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Once we see an anon or BOOFER or Big Blue post showing you the love we will know its fake.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if it's difficult to register on that site guys, I hadn't noticed, I joined a couple of years ago, so I can't remember.

I'm guessing from the comments that 'tipping' has a different meaning over there??

Posted by: kost52 | August 25, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Over on this side of the pac tipping is only done to waitresses and cows.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 9:24 PM

Looking pretty good mate, we've knocked off the major competitors in the past few weeks, and we're currently the 'winningest' team in history with a record of 39-2 over the past two seasons. BUT you can't just go handing things over because they've dominated so far, remember the Patriots!

Posted by: kost52 | August 25, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Nate -- if you're hanging out this evening, might I suggest that our FF league implement a rule that players from Philly, NYG and dallas are ineligible. I for one, won't pick anyone from these 3 teams because I can never barrack for any of them.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

zeke
i dont think its possable

Posted by: alex35332 | August 25, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Over on this side of the pac tipping is only done to waitresses and cows.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:59 PM

And, unfortunately, scales.

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I bring this up, because it happened EACH time Cambell was sacked on Saturday!

This is damning towards Jason Campbell.

SOS please....SOS

Posted by: Richmond Redskin | August 25, 2008 6:25 PM
________________________

Did not notice this, but what I have noticed is after the game is over (this on more than one occasion), and they show players wandering around shaking hands with opposing players, or hugging them or otherwise spreading the bonhomie -- and JC is moving around looking uncomfortably into the middle distance because he can't find anyone he knows to speak to, and no one is speaking to him.

I think he is a nice young man, but reticent and shy in the main -- yes, he's interviewed locally, but that must be scripted, or at least an element he finds comfortable -- and I wonder if that makes him less of a leader on the field that other more charismatic QBs.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Over on this side of the pac tipping is only done to waitresses and cows.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 25, 2008 9:59 PM

So it does have a slang meaning! We don't do that sort of thing to cows over here.

Posted by: kost52 | August 25, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Continuing from last night,
Players who were successful elsewhere, came to DC, made alot of money but sure didn't produce like before.

James Washington

Did the guy even play a second year?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 25, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Jake Scott
S All Pro w/ Miami when we got him, he was all washed up, a shadow of what he had been.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 25, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Jeremiah Trotter

MLB Eagles then came here and left us often wandering where is the intimidator who will stop the run for us?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 25, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Y'all are funny. Discussing politics on a football blog. It's all good though. I'm gonna throw my two cents in too. For those of you who choose not to vote don't complain when the US goes through 4 more years of misery. Regardless of which candidate gets elected, just like the movie "The Dark Knight," "stuff" is going to get worse before it gets better.

Now for the 'Skins... Was able to watch some of the game again while exercising in the company gym. Kareem Moore showed some flashes, but you can tell he's a ways off from starting. You have to figure that the starting safeties will be Doughty & Landry for the first few weeks until Horton and/or Moore step up. Too bad about Sinclair. I know the coaches thought highly of him. I wonder why the Skins didn't put him on IR instead of releasing him... I'm sure glad this was a preseason game and they can get this stuff out of their system now, rather than when it counts. Lastly, have faith in Campbell. The kid just needs to go out there and have fun instead of being so robotic. I would actually think he's further in his development since he's somewhat familiar with the WCO from his senior year in Auburn and he helped the Tigers to an undefeated season that year.

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 25, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

QB Rob Johnson

Boy, we sure didn't get anything out of Rob Johnson...

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 25, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Sean Gilbert. And to be fair and balanced there's Joey Galloway, probably worse than any of yours.

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Last one for me tonight, good night everyone...

Leonard Marshall
DE played big for the Giants during their SB wins XXI and XXV. Always easy to remember because Skins won in XXII and XVI.

Marshall slowed, Giants didn't resign, he came to DC a few years later over the hill.
Those were lean years for sure.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 25, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I just love talent evaluator. He makes my job so much easier. His analysis is spot on.
Plus I love the fact that he would let his 12 yr old son only play four hours of WOW, while he spends 18 hours a day posting his (una)musings on this blog.

Posted by: Vinnie Cerrato | August 25, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, we got something out of Sean Gilbert. Carolina gave us 2 first round draft picks for him.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Ha, well done, I forgot that. Out of curiosity, who did those picks become?

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

The 99 pick we traded to Minnesota for Brad Johnson. The other 99 pick was traded to New Orleans for all of their picks and a 2000 1st rounder so they could draft Ricky Williams. We then moved back in the 99 first round giving Chicago most of the picks that we got from NO to get Champ Bailey. We kept the 2000 st rounder though, so we had 3 2000 first rounders. The 12 and 24th we traded to San Francisco for their #3 overall. We took Lavar Arringotn and Chris Samuels with those picks. So Sean Gilbert got us Champ Bailey, Lavar Arrington, and Chris Samuels. Not a bad haul.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I retract the Sean Gilbert post.

Posted by: SMACK | August 25, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

"So Sean Gilbert got us Champ Bailey, Lavar Arrington, and Chris Samuels. "

I think if you put Sean Gilbert on one side of the scale and those three guys on the other, the scales would balance. Sean was a big guy.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Alex, if we the team owners agree to it, its possible.

As for Aussie slang, don't go downunder a be tell someone who you are routing for ... might bring you more than you expect.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 25, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Vikings cut 5yr LB Derrick Pope today. Dude had 64 tackles and 2 INTs last year. He's only 26yrs old. Should we bring him in for a look?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Jinx,

Sinclair was released for either of two reasons instead of being placed on IR; he wants to play again this season after his back heals and/or the 'skins said they'll bring him back after his back heals. IR means your done for the season even if you're good to go. Of course, the 'skins could have been thinking this guy is easily replacable. The only reason he got as much playing time as he did was the fact that HB Blades was injured.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 26, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2004 MIA 16 43 28 15 0 2.0 1 0 0 0 0
2005 MIA 12 28 22 6 0 0.0 1 0 0 0 0
2006 MIA 11 12 9 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0
2007 MIA 16 64 43 21 3 0.0 0 0 2 0 0
Career 55 147 102 45 3 2.0 2 0 2 0 0

I would bring him in for a look.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 26, 2008 6:11 AM | Report abuse

What's with the picture of Greggggg Williams on the front of the Redskins section? At first glance, I thought it was Gary Busey...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 26, 2008 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood,

There is a wierd similarity there.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 26, 2008 6:26 AM | Report abuse

I left off the players name on my post.

Derrick Pope

YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2004 MIA 16 43 28 15 0 2.0 1 0 0 0 0
2005 MIA 12 28 22 6 0 0.0 1 0 0 0 0
2006 MIA 11 12 9 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0
2007 MIA 16 64 43 21 3 0.0 0 0 2 0 0
Career 55 147 102 45 3 2.0 2 0 2 0 0

I would bring him in for a look.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 26, 2008 6:33 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if you read the article on Gregg Williams, but he's really taking the high road after getting poop-canned here. He even says he'd come back and coach here if wanted.

I wonder if he's sincere or just posturing for another crack at a head coaching gig.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 26, 2008 6:33 AM | Report abuse

Or do you wait to make sure another good LB doesnt get cut?

Posted by: Zebra | August 26, 2008 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Off topic here, but you comic fans should be interested: here's what Robert Downey, Jr. had to say about "The Dark Knight" in a recent interview:

"My whole thing is that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so [expletive] smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? [Expletive] DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

Wow. How do you REALLY feel?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 26, 2008 6:39 AM | Report abuse

From ESPN.com's NFC East blog:

Zorn's about to make a big mistake

August 25, 2008 7:28 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

It sounds like Redskins head coach Jim Zorn is about to break an unwritten -- and wise -- code in the final game of the preseason: He's going to try to win. Hopefully his friend and mentor Mike Holmgren will call and talk some sense into him this week.

Zorn was probably a little too excited about how sharp his team looked early in preseason, and he's now taking this weekend's 47-3 loss to the Panthers way too hard. Yes, there were some horrifying moments in the game -- Jason Taylor's injury comes to mind -- but you have to keep in mind that it doesn't count. And that your best defensive player, safety LaRon Landry, didn't play.

As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, I was thoroughly impressed with Zorn after spending about an hour with him at Redskins Park. And that's why the following quote from him caught me by surprise:

"I'm open to playing the starters," Zorn said Sunday. "I may have to do that just based on what we did out there. It's not about disappointment, it's about doing what's right. And it's not about throwing them back out there and putting pads on and scrimmaging for two hours because we did what we did. But it's a matter of developing just a drive, maybe. Just to go back out there and get back some tempo before we have to get into the season."

Zorn shouldn't trust his instincts on this one. You don't develop tempo in the final game of the preseason. Your one and only goal is to stay healthy, something the Redskins didn't do Saturday.

I know it's the ultimate second-guess, but why was Taylor even playing at this point in the preseason? He doesn't need to work on the intricacies of Greg Blache's defense. You line him up and tell him to chase the quarterback. He should've played in the second or third preseason game and then taken a spot on the bench. Zorn could've come up with one of those fake injuries that Norv Turner likes to roll out for LaDainian Tomlinson each week.

Playing all the starters Thursday sounds like an awful idea to me, and I have a feeling owner Dan Snyder and his right-hand man Vinny Cerrato agree. From what I can tell, the players (namely Jason Campbell) have bought into Zorn's philosophy. With that in mind, you can't overract to one poor outing in the preseason.

What will you prove by sending out the starters Thursday? The Jaguars think they have a Super Bowl contender, so coach Jack Del Rio isn't going to let his starters anywhere near the field.

Even if the Redskins' starters go out and hang three touchdowns on the Jaguars, it won't matter. It's high time someone finally admitted that the preseason isn't about setting any sort of tempo. It's about keeping everyone in one piece.

So far, the Redskins have come up short in that area.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 26, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex | August 26, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 26, 2008 7:15 AM

I don't know, Brownwood. I'm with Zorn on this one. I think your vision of pre-season has been pretty thoroughly discredited. This year we have a new offense and a modified defense and you want to line 11 men up and tell them "Go get 'em?" and hope that by opening night they're a cohesive, synchzornized team?

This was the LaVar Arrington theory of defense, and it was why the Redskins let him go. He couldn't learn to play with 10 others.

Football involves 11 men playing together so that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. It doesn't involve 11 men sitting on a bench watching and thinking about opening night.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Landry Returns From Hamstring Injury
By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com
August 25, 2008

LaRon Landry was back on the practice fields on Monday, working with teammates instead of athletic trainers on the sidelines.
He has missed nearly a month of practice time due to a lingering hamstring injury.

Despite the absence, Landry looked sharp in practice, recording an interception.

Good to have Dirty Thirty back out there

Posted by: jm220 | August 26, 2008 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Today story on Double G is one of the best JLC has done in a long time. I was very hard on GG but after reading that I have new respect for him. Man it was hard reading about the Reaper. RIP brother.

Posted by: jm220 | August 26, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Very true JM;

Also I liked your comment to TE about being a GM, funny!

Posted by: Zebra | August 26, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Just having a little fun with TE.

Posted by: jm220 | August 26, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

For your comsumption, RI Nation: from NFL.com's team preview section:

Redskins preview: Zorn brings West Coast offense to D.C.
By Ira Miller | Special to NFL.com

Questions about the Redskins start with the new head coach, Jim Zorn.

He was a late hire last winter to replace Joe Gibbs, inheriting a staff in place. Zorn never even has been a coordinator and has not called plays, and now he's installing a version of the West Coast offense and plans to call the plays himself. Still, he has a plan and the Redskins' offense should be more cohesive than the unsuccessful effort to mesh the Gibbs offense with Al Saunders' passing game philosophy.

Zorn hopes the Redskins can pick up where they left off last season, winning their final four games to finish 9-7 and earn a wild-card playoff spot. The most significant of those victories was a road game against the Giants, who soon thereafter began their Super Bowl run.

Of course, it's worth noting that those victories came with backup quarterback Todd Collins taking over for an injured Jason Campbell, who has been given the reins again. Campbell, beginning his fourth season, is still raw, although the Redskins expect his play to improve because he spent the offseason at Redskins Park with Zorn learning the new offense.

Campbell has weapons. Clinton Portis has averaged more than 1,500 yards rushing in his five full (non-injury) seasons. Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El give him two nice receiving targets, tight end Chris Cooley was in the Pro Bowl last year and is ticketed for a big role in Zorn's offense, and the offensive line, save guard Pete Kendall who joined the team in 2007, has been together for four years.

On defense, Washington needs to improve a pass rush that ranked 16th in the league last year in sacks. Defensive end Jason Taylor, acquired from Miami, is the leader in sacks among active NFL players; he had 11½ last year for a team that finished 1-15.

Taylor is an upgrade who should help Andre Carter, another speed rusher from the other side, but depth is lacking since Phillip Daniels suffered a season-ending torn ACL on the first day of training camp.

On the hot seat
Quarterback Jason Campbell. If the Redskins don't get off to a fast start, there will be calls for Todd Collins, who was superlative in the final three-and-a-half regular-season games (5 TDs, 0 interceptions, 106.4 passer rating) last season after Campbell was lost with an injury.

Difference-maker
Tight end Chris Cooley. He led the team with 66 receptions a year ago and will play an even bigger role this year as the tight end is a critical component of the West Coast offense. The Redskins plan to move him around, and don't be surprised to see Cooley down the middle of the field, a route that often utilizes tight ends in the West Coast scheme.

Hard road to hoe
The Redskins play all three division road games in the first five weeks of the season and have a home game against NFC South favorite New Orleans in that stretch, too. That's a tough beginning for a new coach teaching a new offense to an inexperienced quarterback.

Redskins will be better than you think if ...
Jason Campbell can make a big jump to become a consistent quarterback in Zorn's offense. This is his fourth season, so it's time, and he has the benefit of a good runner and good offensive line to protect him.

Redskins will be worse than you think if ...
Coordinator Greg Blache's defense can't continue the progress it showed last year under Gregg Williams, who thought he would get the call to replace Joe Gibbs, but did not.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 26, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and the predictions from NFL.com's "experts":

2008 forecast
Vic Carucci: Jim Zorn and some key offensive additions should add punch to the Redskins' passing game, presuming Jason Campbell looks as sharp in the regular season as he has this summer. The pass rush received a nice late boost from the addition of Jason Taylor. Prediction: 8-8

Thomas George: Up and coming. Searching for consistency under new coach Jim Zorn. Prediction: 10-6

Pat Kirwan: If the Redskins were in the NFC North or West I might pick them to win the division, but not in the NFC East. The addition of Jason Taylor will enable them to rush the passer with the front four and play coverage behind it, but making the postseason will be tough. Prediction: 9-7

Gil Brandt: The staff features two new coordinators and a first-time head coach in Jim Zorn who has never called plays. The roster, at the start of training camp, featured 18 players 30 or older, including 11 starters. Prediction: 8-8

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 26, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Playing the starters is a questionable move. However it becomes downright unwise when you consider that G Williams will probably have his guys hyped up beyond belief and seeking revenge on The Danny for not getting the head coaching job....

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 26, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

If Landry was practicing yesterday why was there no post on here about it. I know JLC was celebrating our loss yeaterday at home, but I am sure we had other people out there.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 26, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

good offensive line to protect him

Not from what they showed on Saturday

Posted by: jm220 | August 26, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

GG is going to have his guys were they belong on the bench, if we do play our starters they will play against second team guys. I do not see how going out and scoring a touchdown on second teamers will help the offense, but it may give them some confidence.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 26, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

km, agreed above on Pope, I'd bring him in and see what skills he has. If anything, just to get him before another team has a shot at him. Better the sure thing, than passing and not getting as much quality.

And agreed with the article above that Zorn needs to sit the starters, no need to get someone hurt in a meaningless game. Heck, I'd stick Colt 45 at qb, and Marcus Walter Payton Mason at RB, and let them play....

Posted by: Greg | August 26, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Tough call whether or not to play the starters. I can see and agree with both sides of the coin. Glad I'm not the one making that call...

jm220, hard to say the o-line sucks at this point. I think everybody quit trying to play ball and just tried not to get hurt once JT went down. I'll reserve judgement on the line until after they play a game that counts.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 26, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

The Landry Report
PTen reports that Landry is on the field with the first-team defense and actually closed a good amount of space to pick off a lazy pass down the sideline. Players are only in shells [and, presumably, shorts].

Posted by: Cindy | August 25, 2008 2:37 PM

Posted by: Cindy | August 26, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Very true JM;

Also I liked your comment to TE about being a GM, funny!

Posted by: Zebra | August 26, 2008 7:35 AM

With you on both posts, JM (and Zebra). It must have been very disappointing for Jasno to get a long interview with GG and then to hear GG say only nice things about Snyder and Cerrato. If Zorn doesn't get the job done, I hope Snyder and Cerrato will give GG a fair shot at replacing him.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 26, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I watched saturday's game again last night. Same crappy result. Not sure what I was thinking.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 26, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood,

Agree, the defense played well until JT went down and then I think they dogged it, so that none of them would get hurt. The only defender in the first half that played hard after JT went down was Moore and he is a rookie (No Fear). The O-Line played terrible but I think Buges will be able to coach them up before the first game. I still think Jansen is done and will either get injured or replaced by the end of the year. I also think Rinehart will replace Kendall by the end of the year or next year for sure. So lets not go crazy in the last preseason game if you want to play the starting offense for a series go ahead but then get them out.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 26, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I am bidding on a Wii on ebay, it is coming down to the wire and these A_Holes keep driving up the price. My kids will kill me if I do not get them one for X-Mas.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 26, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

km, if rhino goes in for Kendall, who goes in for Jansen??

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the changes, but I'm not sure that Rein might need to be put in for Jansen. Kendall, while not dominant, is holding his own....

Posted by: Greg | August 26, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

kmdp4,

The Jansen point is where we differ: I still want to see him in regular season play before saying he's done. Keep in mind: the man hasn't played full speed in almost a year. So naturally, it's going to take a couple preseason games just to get his legs back and get reacclimated. If Justin Tuck owns him next Thursday, then maybe we can have that discussion seriously. Until I see that, he's still a solid lineman who has clearly lost a step.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 26, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

The reason I say Rinehart at guard is because I think he is a natural guard and will do better there. Do not get me wrong if Kendall plays well then he stays in there, and we wait until next year.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 26, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Reinhart isnt ready for the Tackle position, he more suited for guard anyways maybe with some work he could be a tackle. Im still gonna give Jansen his time, he hasnt played a meaningful game in a while I think he will be able to step it up when needed.

Posted by: Stu | August 26, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood,

I am giving Jansen a fair shake, I want to see what he has in the regular season. I just have a gut feeling that it will not be good.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 26, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Dont use Tuck as an interview for Jansens job, he can be dominate at the end or tackle position. look for Jansen to be getting a lot of TE help on his side anyways with the removal of Osi from the right end.

Posted by: Stu | August 26, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

agreed on Rhino at guard. I think with some seasoning, he's going to be a real stud. With Kendall's contract up after this season, its a perfect transition. You get younger, bigger, and less expensive, in one move.

Posted by: Greg | August 26, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Stu, let's not make Tuck out to be Reggie White or anything. It takes more than one solid season to be "dominant". Once upon a time, Dana Stubblefield had a "dominant" year and won Defensive Player of the Year. 'Nuff said.

And for you folks ready to stick Rhinehart at RT: stop it. The man has never played RT, and has only played a little LT. He's a RG. Period. Jansen (if healthy) is the best option on the roster at RT and will not be replaced before next season.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 26, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | August 26, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

08/26/08
This morning, the team waived/injured TE Jason Goode, and re-signed LB Danny Verdun-Wheeler, who was most recently waived by the team on August 4.

Posted by: Chris | August 26, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Im saying that every one is in a Panic mode about our O line, with Jansen taking the brunt of accusations. In the opener he is going up against the biggest challenge that we will face on G's defense dont dont jump on him if hes getting beat in that situation.

Posted by: Stu | August 26, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

GOODE KNOWING YA

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I think it may make sense to let our current starters on the line play out the season, and slowly replace them as needed

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 26, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

On Smoot's house, this is the rap:

The house is in major disrepair. Neighbors have been complaining left and right. The sprinkler system hasn't worked in over a year, weeds are chest high, no grass left, dead trees. See attached taken this morning. I've heard his realtor can't even get a hold of him. I've heard of neighbors investigating suing him for bringing property values down. While living in our neighborhood he was truly the "boat man". Late night parties, lots of women, loud, obnoxious, didn't take care of his property.

------------------------------------------

"I've heard...." You know, it is annoying to live near a property like that but a simple way of handling it is to cut the guy's grass. Seems to me it would be a lot easier than organizing a posse to pay a lawyer to sue him.

News flash: There are properties like this all over America now. The housing market is not what we would like.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I agree Anonymous and wish you weren't Anonymous. beepbeep and good morning, like such as. maps.

Posted by: Cindy | August 26, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu | August 26, 2008 8:37 AM

Where's Unfrozen Caveman Right Tackle when we need him most? He's just a simple caveman who gets confused by modern football, but even he could see we need some help over there...

Posted by: Hombre Secreto | August 26, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

my foot hurts!

Posted by: Jon Jansen | August 26, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Ima beast!

Posted by: Brandon Lloyd | August 26, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell:

- Unimaginative
- Mediocre skills
- Zero charisma
- Zero leadership ability
- Most of his teammates know he's not the quarterback of their future and have no confidence in him
- Not particularly smart
- Loses control of himself easily
- Is injury prone
- Very, very overrated arm
- No mobility

Over-the-Hill Joe Gibbs - the same guy who is so senile now that he let his racing team get fined for cheating last week - handpicked this nitwit Campbell.

A team is only as good as their quarterback. The quarterback leads. He inspires. He energizes BOTH defense AND offense, never just offense. He also takes down both defense and offense, never just offense.

He's the string you pull and it come unraveled. When the whole thing is gone, so is the entire team. Marquee players like Taylor are the first to fall when a loser quaterback like Jason Campbell is at the controls.

That's what happened in Carolin -- the team became completely unraveled. Mark my words. Put Colt Brennan in, or you will be watching the second coming of Steve Spurrier without any doubt at all. Did you everybody forget how horrible that was already? The coach lost all respect from his player. Let only the few who didn't hate him play ball. Stopped giving a damn about the press or his team as the losses mounted. Mediocre quarterbacks one after the other appeared.

Jim, follow your instinct and get Jason Campbell out of there NOW. Forget about nit-picking at this or that "execution". These guys know how to execute. They just are not inspired to do so. Put Colt in and get out of the way, Jim. Let the man play. He wins games and he inspires his team and he makes the team believe in itself. Don't fall for that "oh, that was only preseason" stuff. Brennan's got leader in his blood and everybody knows it just be looking at him.

Leadership is an intangible, Jim. Try to be intelligent enough to understand that. Everybody wants it. Few have it. Jason Campbell doesn't have it. Colt Brennan does. Fix this mistake now or the Redskins will be the football equivalent of Iraq before you know it.

By refusing to see the bad effect Campbell has on your whole team, you mark yourself, Mr. Zorn, not as the offensive genius, the young Joe Gibbs reincarnated, but as another loser like Spurrier. Listen to your instinct. Follow it. Don't stay wedded to your Offense Bible. Let your team win. Dump the loser-quarterback Jason Campbell today and bring on the correct quarterback, the people's quarterback, the QB your very own players want but are afraid to ask for, and the guy most ready to benefit from your instruction -- Colt Brennan.

Before its too late, Mr. Zorn.

- D. Stafford