Taylor on Zorn's Job Security

On the D.C. Sports Bog, Dan Steinberg has more from Jason Taylor's radio appearance this morning.

In addition to talking about his performance and that $8 million salary, Taylor was asked about Jim Zorn's job security.

"I've never seen a situation where a first-year coach would be worried about his job with seven wins," he said. "I understand that things are done differently up here....[but] I wouldn't expect it. I've heard on the radio some people say they wouldn't be surprised if it happened or they expect it to happen, but that's tough. And it's tough for Coach Zorn to have to worry about that at this point right now...to have to worry about your job in your first year when you've won seven games. And I understand we were 6-2 and we should be a lot better off, however, that's still tough working conditions for him."

By Cindy Boren  |  December 18, 2008; 12:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Early Practice Report
Next: Boz on Baugh

Comments

first!

Posted by: mattdemasi | December 18, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Flound - That's one of many I am referring to.

* JC's 'We're exhausted' qoute.

*Fletcher's crying to th emedia about getting snubbed again while taking shots at other players and clubhouses

*Zorn saying it's all about a good showing at the end. His defeatist attitude. The 'woo is me. I am the worst coach in the world' qoute (which was big outside of DC).

---------------------

WTF is worng with these guys? We still have a playoff chance. Everyone ahead of us aren't playing cake walk games. You have to atleast project that, even if you don't think that.

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 18, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

A better question for Taylor is, will he be around for the long haul or is he just a hired gun?

He wasn't worth the 2nd round pick they gave out for him. He was the supplemental attraction to Cerrato's Lance Briggs fantasy...

...whatever happened with that anyway?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

He should be more worried about his own job.

If the Skins bring him back at 8mil, we will know that Vinny is afraid to admit he made a mistake and is trying to cover up for the picks he traded.

Whats done is done but admit your mistake and move on.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Other notable qoutes for JT55:

Two more notable bits. His "put me in the right position" thing smacked of dissatisfaction at his role, and the Junkies followed up with a question about that, asking whether this was an ideal system for his skills.

"I'm not here to complain," he said. "I'm just a player, and this is the scheme, and I've got to fit into it and find a way to make me successful in it. It's not the ideal, if I had my druthers, but it is what it is. It's fine."

......................

(Note to Sween and every one else, 'He's yam what he's yam')

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 18, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

The best most scathing report of them all. I give credit for Parcells duping us, the team, and JLaC for congratulating the team on the move:

"I'm a realist. You can tell me the truth, and I'm fine with that. Because at the end of the day, most of us know the truth and some times some guys are just afraid to admit it, but I'm not worth 8 million dollars....You know what, I'll tell you, I may not be worth 8 million dollars, but I know one thing, this dog can still hunt. This dog can still hunt. Put me in the right situation, the right position and I'll hunt all day."

He was also asked if he'd be surprised if ties were severed between him and the Skins in the offseason.

"Would I be surprised? No. If I'm not back, I wouldn't be surprised," he said, as the $8 million figure was brought up. "And I'm not worth it," he said, "so I would not be surprised at all."

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 18, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I thought in my head that I didn't think this would work out because the dude is a 3-4 guy. And my dreaded thought came to fruitition. SJK!

F JT55!

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 18, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Odd. When Moss was healthy and this Oline was healthy, and the five or six plays JZ calls were new to opponents, JC had NO picks and pinpoint accuracy.

I can't imagine why he's suddenly become ineffective and should be immediately replaced with Colt Brennan. Because when Colt pays behind this line with these receivers he can become the NEW Patrick Ramsey.

Only 12 TDs for campbell? That's awful, especially considering the three swell touchdown catchin' receivers Vinny drafted for him.

Posted by: TheCork+++

Agreed the surrounding cast of players is weak.
The O-line is in shambles and I think it's more that, than the lack of creativity on Zorns part. That and the fact that JC needs 4+ seconds to throw when most every other QB can fire it out in 2 seconds or so. Watch some other teams like: Falcons, Panthers, Bucs, Cardinals, even the Ravens.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 18, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

4th, I have to disagree w/you on JT. He didn't bring himself here and he seems to know that he's a 3-4 guy. He hasn't complained about playing time and has admitted that he's not worth what he's paid.

He's out there trying to do his thing but he doesn't fit the system. You can't fault him for that.

F the front office for bringing him here and double-F them if they bring him back, but I have no beef with Taylor.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 18, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

OE,

I agree it is not taylors fault.

If they bring him back at 8mil I will never defend another move they make.

Vinny needs to come out and say we blew it with Taylor and we are going to go in a different direction.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

When we got Taylor, I commented on how playing out of position might be an issue (I had seen this with Chris Doleman in SF).

No question Taylor's $8mil is done after this year. Whether he comes back with a massive paycut ... different story.

The Skins took a HOF player and asked him to play a different position than his best. That doesn't make sense to me.

Bottom line is this. Taylor was a "win now" acquisition. The Spaghetti Gang gave up lots of cap space (which could have helped in future years), chose not to give the younger DE's a shot (Evans, Wilson), gave up 2 draft picks. All for a 2 year guy.

If we made the playoffs and had a strong run there, and he made a difference, it was good call. That is the ONLY way to justify this trade.

Its fair to say that the Jason Taylor trade IS a complete disaster, right up there with the worst of the era.

Just for the record, I supported the trade because it meant we were thinking playoffs ... and expected complimentary moves to happen as well. Which never happened

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

JT was a mistake. But he is VinDan's mistake. Don't blame the leopard because his spots didn't change.

Posted by: Gweez | December 18, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

zce,

If we cut him at the end of the season he cost nothing against the cap.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Flounder -- we were well under the cap before signing JT. That $8million for this year could have been used to move future cap hits into this season (Jansen in particular comes to mind). To date, mgmt has defered these hits. It was a chance to remove some future land mines.

That is what I meant by the cap impact with JT.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Why cut enough after burning the pick to get him? We did that for E James, didn't we? Let's copy what he did for the Fins before sending him away. The guy was a Pro Bowler and MVP for some reason. Let's find out why.

Plus: we play the AFC West next year and face teams with weaker o-lines. That by itself is enough reason to keep him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 18, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

$8million in cap space for a team that has lots of cap issues. That is the problem with Taylor

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

everyone knows JT hasn't been a stud this year, but most guys in the end of their careers r just trying to get paid..anybody who thinks JC is the franchise, gotta stop smokin..he has a strong arm, but doesn't seem to have a grasp of the pocket and falls down like CP when feeling contact..how 'bout skins hiring a GM and not depending on the owner's boy to run things?

Posted by: steveo75 | December 18, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

++++the chooch, larry michael, treats you as our leader for people who want vinny out and when you put up nonsense like that you make his case not ours. and the thing is you don't have to reach like you do at all. the record alone speaks volume.++-_dealer

If that Mushwit (Michael) has ANY input on whether or not Vinny stays, we're Doomed....

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

As much as Al Davis stinks as an owner, he decision to cut DeAngelo Hall was a smart one. He overpaid for Hall and decided to cut his losses. Same with Taylor. Too much $$ for not enough anything

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

+++Great appearence by Jason Taylor on the Junks this morning. Check out the podcast if you missed it on wjfk.com

Posted by: mattdemasi ++

Nobody said the dude wasn't a class act. He just can't Ball anymore. Maybe as a rushbacker in a 3-4 system, but fulltime DE? Nope. That's not on him. That's on Vinny.

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

They need to put him back at right end, where he is comfortable and where he made his bones. Rotate him with Carter so you always have a fresh guy in there. On the left side, either start Evans (stout against the run and good at getting his hands into passing lanes) or start a draft pick if they take one in the first two rounds.

As I've said before, whether they trade back or not, their first three picks need to be linemen (offensive or defensive).

Posted by: LiberalMike | December 18, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Saw an article yesterday on the Pro Bowl choice of Nnamdi Asoumgha. I recall someone up here saying he couldn't be that special.

Think again.

This year, they have only completed 8 passes in his direction for 133 yards. Less than 10 yards a game!!!

This is Darrell Green, in his prime, territory.

Which is why Nnamdi needs to get out of Oakland.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

+++To me, all this is laid at the feet of the coach. Plain and simple. The FO can only pick the players and this is basically the same team from the last 3 years....

Posted by: DaReal4th++++

The DIFFERENCE is the "same team" got old, got hurt or weren't that good to start with. The "same team" people on Dallas, NYG etc came into their prime and weer supplemented by other good players.

Also, in case I'm not mistaken, Zorn didn't just show up and move into the HC office, HE WAS HIRED BY THE FO!!!!

Plain and simple? Your logic, maybe,....

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | December 18, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

It's on Vinny to identify that and not waste a draft pick to get him.

It's not like Taylor has been a problem in the locker room or he isn't playing hard.
If someone offered you $8mil to play another season, you wouldn't take it?

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 18, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

cork, enough...we get it already...give it a rest....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 18, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Cork. I misread your post.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 18, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Well you have to appreciate Taylors honesty.
Cut Taylor,ARE,Sellers

Put Moss and Cartright on punt returns(why the hell doesn't cartright return punts!!!!)ARE just goes east and west

Give Vinny, and JZ another year to get it right and save Campbell(and the rest of the offense) another offensive system to learn. Sign Campbell SHORT TERM.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 18, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

This problem is deeper than just having a first year coach. The problem is having a FO that does not do a good job of self-evaluating in-house talent, or talent in general. If you can honestly say that our team would be SB contenders, if only we had Bill Cowher or another famous coach running the show, then I want some of whatever "Kool-Aid" you're drinking...

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | December 18, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

vegas, why Sellers?

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 18, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 18, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Well you have to appreciate Taylors honesty.
Cut Taylor,ARE,Sellers

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 18, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Sellers? You want to cut a guy that made the pro bowl as a starter, straight up dozers over people and has a small salary? If Sellers is the answer what is the question?

Posted by: Gweez | December 18, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about Jason Taylor? What has he ever done as a Redskin? By now, Redskin fans understand that salary and ability have no relationship in sports. Jason, and Jasons, please don't be quoted or quote players that aren't "playing". The truth is JT is a big disappointment for the fans, coaches, management and ownership. Go dance with the stars, Jason, your time here is over.

Posted by: realityvision | December 18, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

This is such perfect evidence of what a complete turd. He could put this issue to bed just by coming out publicly to say, "I fully support Jim Zorn and he will be my coach next year."

But he hasn't. And that just tells you what a complete turd he is.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | December 18, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Sellers isn't productive. Can't get it in from inches out despite being 245 pounds and he's 33 years old. Don't tell me about how good he could do with a better line. At 245 he should be able to push back a defender one yard.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 18, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Sellers dosen't bulldoz over people(did you see the Cincy game) and only made the pro bowl because of the shortage of FB's. And so what if he's a pro bowler, Jason Taylors a HOFer and he needs to go, too unless the coaches are going to adjust to complement his style of play and his skill.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 18, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

With Blache it seems to be my way or the highway. If the team isn't winning what would it hurt to be a little flexible and try one or two of the exotic defenses many of the teams that are winning are using?

Posted by: Tpecca | December 19, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse