Taylor Plans to Return

Jason Reid reports:

Hobbled by injuries during his first season with the Redskins, defensive end Jason Taylor plans to return to the team and is "ready to roll," his agent said tonight.

"It's tough to play when you're injured, when you can't do the things you always have, and Jason was just dealing with a lot last year," said Taylor's agent, Gary Wichard. "But it is what it is. That's just part of this game, and Jason never made excuses. He's working to be the same Pro Bowler he always was, and he's ready to go."

Last season, Taylor, 34, rarely resembled the all-pro performer and former NFL defensive player of the year for whom the Redskins dealt a second-round pick in April's draft and a sixth-round pick in 2010. Taylor sprained his right knee in a preseason game and twice underwent surgery on his left calf to relieve acute compartment syndrome, a buildup of pressure on muscle groups.

Predominantly playing left end for the first time in his career, Taylor had only 3 ½ sacks -- his lowest total since 1999. The 12-year veteran's lack of production prompted speculation that the Redskins would ask Taylor to take a pay cut from his $8.5 million salary in 2009, and release him if he declined. But Taylor's salary for next season has never been an issue, Wichard said.

Read the story from tomorrow's paper here.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  February 22, 2009; 9:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Continue Pursuit of DeAngelo Hall
Next: Evans Likely to Become Free Agent

Comments

Let me be the FIRST to jump off a roof.

No reason we coulnd't have cut him down to $3M and used $5M on Jovan Haye or the like.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 22, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

He deserves a 2nd chance...the only reason he sucked last season is due to a rash of freak injuries, one of which is extremely rare (compartmental syndrome). He tried to play through it and lost his explosiveness...let's see if a healthy Taylor can't do some damage. With a full offseason, I think he will return to form.

Posted by: Crunkenstein | February 22, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I figured that this would ultimately be the end result of the Taylor situation. A lot of reasons: Last year, he was injured 85% of the season and still managed to be just one sack shy of the team lead. He's a pro bowler & former defensive MVP, a veteran player & good guy; That credibility certainly grabs Blache's eye. Taylor also dances and to Danny Syndy, that's movie magic, which equals Hollywood.... which equals $$. For all that, I'm rooting & hoping Taylor returns to form, because he's back, like it or leave it.

Posted by: matthewvickers | February 22, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind seeing JTaylor come back next season. Say what you want about him, but he was a true professional last season, never making excuses for his underwhelming performance. No, he wasn't worth anywhere near the 2nd and 5th given up for him, but that money has already been spent and he's still a valuable commodity. With only 4 draft picks, this team can't afford to replace numerous starting positions. Keep Taylor, keep the defense as close to what we saw last season as possible, and focus FA and the draft on the offensive side of the ball. And this team most definitely should NOT settle for mediocre free agency talent just because we're disappointed that Jason Taylor wasn't a defensive pro-bowler.

Posted by: psps23 | February 22, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm pleased we didn't part with the team's only reliable pass rush threat.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 22, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Skins like Orakpo....from the other local newspaper...

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 23, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Anyone think that Jeff Saturday would be a good fit to help groom Campbell? I realize that RT, RG, OLB are more need positions, but it still seems like he would be a good add.

Posted by: StuckInPhilly | February 23, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

IF they do bring back Taylor and pay his current salary than I hope they at least utilize his strengths, play him on his natural side and employ him more as a weapon, not the "my scheme or the highway" approach. If they use him creativly and towards his strengths he might earn his payceck. If they want him to be Phillip Daniels than its a wasted $8 million.

Cork/Mr Skin: Can you two just get a room already?

Posted by: chrislarry | February 23, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

No surprise here. The Skins made a big investment in this man and cutting losses isn't how they roll. Jason Taylor is no Archdeluxe. How many times has fans demanded Shawn Springs be let go only for him to still be on the team?

Posted by: bangkokben | February 23, 2009 1:46 AM | Report abuse

...cutting losses isn't how they roll.

Posted by: bangkokben | February 23, 2009 1:46 AM

Postponing losses is more like The Redskins Way. So they won't cut his salary, but they'll restructure it. A three year contract with a $7 million signing bonus so that his cap hit is reduced by 2/3 this year and goes to the moon next year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 23, 2009 6:01 AM | Report abuse

Like I said earlier. JT55 will be back and should be back.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 23, 2009 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Skins like Orakpo....from the other local newspaper...

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 23, 2009 12:12 AM

That is the best news I heard all day!

This means the SKins aren't looking at Orakpo!

AAron Curry or Cushing should be the only choices at #13.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 23, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Curry will be long gone by 13. Sigh.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 23, 2009 6:47 AM | Report abuse

4thfloor: "This means the SKins aren't looking at Orakpo! AAron Curry or Cushing should be the only choices at #13......."

Doubt that. Taylor is a one year guy, two at the outside. Not for the future. So if they like Orakpo best at 13, the Texan it will be.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 23, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Because Orakpo played well in both the 4-3 and 3-4 schemes during his college career and because his numbers improved each year despite a variety of roles, he sees himself as a player who can pay immediate dividends.

Didn't know the kid played in both. I think this would be a good pick at 13.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | February 23, 2009 7:02 AM | Report abuse

I'd still like them to take an OT, but I'd be cool with Orakpo.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 23, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, but true; with MW being released, LB is our greatest area of need... assuming no FA signee.

We have an old line, and need to get younger, but at 13 a SAM starts immediately, any O line at 13 might sit one year (you know buges), so essentially we hope to get a project o line player to develop over the next year and get a impact D player now...

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

So we get a 3rd rounder or even 2nd at o line, then look to next year to draft first round O line and hope buges is retired

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I think the logical pick, should he fall that far (which very well may happen), has to be Andre Smith. He's sliding down boards because of "character issues" that derived from (1) improper dealings with an agent before the end of the season, and (2) because he neglected to inform people that he was leaving early from the combine. Are these really character issues? This guy was the #1 rated prospect immediately following the season, and was viewed as a better technical tackle than Jake Long was last season (though not as polished). He will be a bookend tackle for a decade or more in this league, and it seems as if the stars may be aligning in the favor of the Redskins to snatch this guy up for WAY cheaper than he's worth.

I really, really hope he slides to us.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Geez, guy goes away for a few days and it's nothing but piss and vinegar while I'm gone....

Given what transpired at the combine, to me it makes a trade back to get more picks IMPERATIVE. Guys like Jamon Meredith, and Xavier Fulton really boosted their stock.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

possibly psps;

but the skins have a history of

A) Shying away from guys with issues like this

B) Reaching for players who everyone else has sliding.

Seems like a lose-lose given our track record

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

And I see Orakpo as a guy who could line up hand down, or standing up... in nickel and dime he gets on the line.

Maybe he becomes like Freeney

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

psp, 1-billion percent agreed.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back Greg,

I would love to trade back but we need a partner.

psp,

Not sure I would take Smith he seems like he would be a problem. I read he also had very bad interviews with the teams that talked to him.

If we stay at 13 I would take Orapko if he is there.

I also saw Raji dude is going to be a beast but he will never be there at 13.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 23, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I see us losing out on hall and keeping springs and smoot. Then we go after Haynesworth and get orakpo...

Not bad in the grand scheme

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

flound, thanks. Agreed on Raji, I see him going to GB, given their change over to the 3-4, and needing a NT.

Hopefully someone falls to 13, thats what we've all got to hope for. Given what happened with Smith, maybe he's that guy.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Zee I rather that we keep Hall and let Springs walk. We all know he will not last 16 games. How many times do they have to see this bad movie before they realize they need to move on?

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | February 23, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

zeebs,

Haynesworth is going to be signed by someone with alot more salary cap room then us.

The only way we can clear that kind of money would be to cut Taylor, Springs and Griff. Thtas not going to happen.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 23, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I know JM, but it just seems that is the direction it is going.

Floud, dont discount the amount of players who will 'rework' their contracts to get more money up front.

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I know JM, but it just seems that is the direction it is going.

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 8:46 AM |

It better be the entire team because Haynesworth wants to get paid.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 23, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Well, if we are indeed keeping taylor, maybe we shouldnt spend on defense.

I just see us getting an oline at 13 and he not play at all this year because of keeping kendall (as jasno thinks). We just dont let players develop. We need to learn to take our lumps.

You can keep telling D Thomas he isnt running precise routes, but until he starts giving up int's because of bad routes and truly realizing it was his fault, these kids are never gonna grow.

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I don't believe there is ANY chance that Haynesworth will be playing for the Redskins next year. ZERO chance in my mind....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Andre Smith fall to the skins. I did hear on NFLN that Smith won't slide past the 49'ers because Singletery loves the guy. Orakpo would be a good pick, because he can play standing up and with his hands down. Having him, a healthy Taylor, and Carter playing in what amounts to a contract year could be a good thing for the pass rush THIS year.

Posted by: TWISI | February 23, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind having Chris Canty.

Posted by: drumer1972 | February 23, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

'...I'd still like them to take an OT, but I'd be cool with Orakpo...'

So if he's taken, will you be cool with Heyer starting at rt?

I'd take rt and be cool with Campbell being able to scan the field without the right side of the o-line collapsing in on him.

A slb can be had later in the draft--3rd round?/free agency?--but the premium issue for the skins is rebuilding their offensive line.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 23, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

The question is moe, does a oline at 13 start right away? With our old coach?

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Crowder wants to test... does RC have the skinny on him? SAM, Mike or Will?

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Channing Crowder #52 Linebacker Miami Height: 6-2 Weight: 250
Born: Dec 2, 1983 - State College, PA
College: Florida
Draft: 2005 - 3rd round (6th pick) by the Miami Dolphins

Career Stats Tackles Sacks Interceptions Misc
Season Team G Solo Ast Total Sack YdsL Int Yds IntTD DefTD FFum PD Sfty
2005 Miami 16 56 29 85 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 1 4 0
2006 Miami 16 61 43 104 1.0 9 0 0 0 0 1 4 0
2007 Miami 11 60 17 77 0.5 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2008 Miami 15 92 21 113 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 1 6 0
Career 58 269 110 379 1.5 10 0 0 0 0 3 14 0

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 23, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Everything I've been reading about the combine has me believing that Monroe and Smith (from Baylor) are the only tackles that don't have significant risk. Sure any pick has risk but Oher put up 22 reps in the bench press which was beaten by a place kicker and Smith looks like an absolute head case. With that being the case, I guess I have to surrender and say if we're forced to stay there and those two and Raji are gone, Orakpo has to be the choice unless they can trade Rogers for decent picks, then maybe you take Jenkins or Davis. But I still hope that we can trade back and get Mack later in the first and one of the top three guards in the second.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Thanks flound.. I cant garner much from stats. Thats why i wanted RC who saw him play...

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

zeeb, if they go OL at 13 and he doesn't start because buges doesn't trust him, then buges needs to go. That kind of thinking just isn't going to cut it anymore.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

'...I'd like to see Andre Smith fall to the skins...'

Two bookend Bama tackles would be a nice fit for the Skins.

What kills is the NFL Network driven nonsense that somehow a guy who crushed SEC quality defensive ends and tackles for a minimum of 33 college football games is somehow suspect because he doesn't interview well.

Take Monroe or Loadholdt or Smith at rt tackle and move on people.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 23, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

From Peter King:

Posted by: will_ga | February 23, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Missed this part from King:

In the end, my guess is Snyder will pay up and grab him. He's the kind of trophy player Snyder would love to have, and the kind of player, if healthy, who will really help the Redskins close the gap on the Giants in the NFC East.

Posted by: will_ga | February 23, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

will, doesn't matter who Snyder was having dinner with, they don't have that kind of cap space to sign him. Given that they're apparently set on having Taylor back at 8 million next year, its just not there...

Loadhold, Fulton, Meredith, all those guys, heck, even the kid from Connecticut, Beatty, would work in a trade back.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

If you are gonna pay taylor 8 mil you better have a a stud DT next to him...

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Moe, its more than just interviewing. He simply left the combine early for no apparent reason and this is the same guy who got suspended for the bowl game by Nick Saban, not exactly a beacon of ethics and discipline. Read below:

SMITH’S STOCK TAKING A HIT FOR REASONS UNRELATED TO WORKOUT
Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2009, 9:25 p.m.

As if the bizarre departure of Alabama tackle Andre Smith from Indianapolis didn’t raise enough questions about his pro prospects, some of the things Smith did and said in Indy might have done even more damage.

According to Tony Pauline of SI.com, Smith had a bad round of interviews on Friday.

“Smith’s interviews with teams have been going horribly,” Pauline reports. “He’s been inappropriately dressed and has been giving a number of conflicting statements as to why he was choosing not to workout at the combine. Several offensive line coaches have already suggested Smith be removed from their team’s draft board and there’s no doubt his draft stock is falling.”

Though high-end tackles create a lower percentage of busts than positions like quarterback and receiver, few tackles have had such a bad experience at the Scouting Combine. As a result, anyone who recommends that the team use a high first-round pick on Smith needs to have a high degree of job security — or needs to be right.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

greg,

i know you are hoping against hope, but saying DS cant get the cap space is like saying Hillary Clinton wont be a b@tch...

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

ANDRE SMITH: “I DIDN’T MEAN TO RUFFLE ANY FEATHERS”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 21, 2009, 7:51 p.m.

Hours after Andre Smith skipped out on the NFL scouting combine without informing officials of his plans Saturday morning, the Alabama offensive tackle has apologized and offered an explanation of his actions in what amounts to an obvious attempt at damage control.

Smith, who acknowledged that he didn’t work out for NFL teams because he wasn’t in optimum condition, told Adam Schefter of NFL Network that he was wrong not to inform combine organizers that he had flown back to Atlanta earlier than previously scheduled. Smith has drawn criticism for how he handled the situation.

Per Smith, he changed his original 4:00 p.m. flight to 6:00 a.m. to work out with his personal trainer in advance of a March 11 Pro Day on the Alabama campus.

“If I had the chance to do it all over, I wouldn’t have handled it the way I did,” said Smith, who was suspended for Alabama’s bowl game for violating team rules. “I should have told my group leader that I was leaving, and I didn’t. I didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers or step on any toes. I didn’t mean to grandstand anyone at the combine.

“That was not my intention at all, and I apologize for my mistake. I got done in Indianapolis what I thought I should have, but I realize there was more to it now. It was important for me to get back to my trainer and that’s what I did. All I was thinking about was what it would take to get to the next level.”

Added Alvin Keels, Smith’s agent: “It was an obvious miscommunication. Even I can shoulder some of the blame for the mishap. But Andre is focused on getting ready for his Pro Day and showing teams what a good pro he will be.”

Two points come to mind here:

1. No matter how many excuses Smith offers, the scouting combine was officially a disaster for him and he needs to turn in a great workout next month to bolster his draft stock.

2. With as much ability as he displayed for the Crimson Tide, Smith will still probably be picked very high in the first round. Even if the combine and bowl game episodes raise scrutiny, he still has the potential to become a cornerstone tackle in the NFL.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

And finally:

Andre Smith has been suspended from participating in the Sugar Bowl for violation of team rules and policies. The University of Alabama, the team and the football program are more important than any individual player. Everyone on our team depends on each other to be responsible, to make good choices and decisions relative to their actions.

Andre Smith has done an outstanding job in our program as a person, student and player and we will do all we can as an institution to support him in all future endeavors.

Our priority and focus as a team is to play the best football game of the season in the Sugar Bowl and to support our players to overcome any adversity this unfortunate situation has created.

all of that sounds like a great guy that you want to spend a high first round pick on. Which means we'll probably do it.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

ZJ,

I would not take the chance on Smith it sounds like he has alot of issues.

He may work out but he could also be a huge bust and a major problem.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 23, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The more borderline and negligible "knocks" Andre Smith gets, the better it is for the Redskins.

Andre Smith is going to be a bad tackle in the NFL because (1) He dealt with an agent improperly prior to the end of the college season, (2) Because he interviews poorly, and (3) Because he failed to tell team officials he was leaving half a day early from the combine, after all his scheduled activities were finished? Really? That's what makes people think he'll be a bad NFL tackle?

Sign me up as the #1 advocate for Smith being the top rated prospect on our board for #13. Immediately following the season, I wouldn't have been upset if the Redskins trade up to get a franchise tackle for the next decade. Now it seems as if one may fall into their lap.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Which is why i thought hillary was an awesome choice at Sec of State...

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

what is with all this drat talk. We still aren't to FA. One thing at a time.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 23, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

So if he's taken, will you be cool with Heyer starting at rt?

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 23, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. The skins have been good to really good on defense for a while now (exception being the 06 season). So upgrading the offense should be a priority over defense. The run game has been there, so its really the passing game that seems to be holding this team back for year to year. How do you upgrade the passing game? Get bigger targets for your QB, did that last draft (hopefully 11 and 12 step it up this year), then you need your QB to have TIME. Draft a RT for the love of God!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | February 23, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"I would not take the chance on Smith it sounds like he has alot of issues.

Posted by: Flounder21"

Getting arrested 3 times in a year constitutes "a lot of issues". Punching a teammate constitutes "a lot of issues". Consistently fighting with your coach constitutes "a lot of issues".

Leaving half a day early, being subpar in interviews, and getting suspended because he dealt with an agent too early is not something I'm worried about in the least.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

psp, this is rare, but I'm 100 percent with you. I think he gets a chip on his shoulder when all is said and done, and dominates at the pro level. If he got arrested, or had some legal issues of that nature, then sure, take him off the board, but I'm not sure what he's done is enough to look past his considerable talent.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Two health, two character/attitude...

and doing things differently than other teams (like dropping rocky down the boards, thomas etc...) seems to be working swimingly... i think we should sneak a peak at everyone else and try to copy them

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

The questions about Andre Smith keeping his weight in check scare me more than the stupid combine story that is being overblown. If he has any possibility of eating his way out of the league after being drafted you have to pass on that risk. Lot of red flags around this guy.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | February 23, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

While Smith may have an abundance of talent, when you're a team trying to evaluate guys that you may spend your 1st rd pick on, pay big bucks against your cap, and depend on to start soon if not immediately, you have to take these issues from the combine and seriously consider if hes worth it. Maybe these little issues become bigger issues when hes catapulted into the life of an NFL player.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | February 23, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"yeah psps, but we have all criticized the FO for not ignoring such issues like character or health with Kelly, Thomas, Davis, Rocky."

Posted by: Zeebs

I've criticized them for health issues, but never character. Even when it seems as if a player may have poor character, like with Sean Taylor, it turns out not to be that way. And I wasn't one of the ones to blow up Clinton Portis as if somehow he was the reason for this team's collapse last season.

To me, it takes a lot to be detrimental from a "character" standpoint. It takes a true pattern of destruction. Andre Smith has nowhere near crossed that point. He's the type of "character issue" that would take a fine for skipping the rookie symposium. To me, that's not enough to discount what was recently considered the top prospect of any position in the entire draft.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm not saying the guy is going to be a bust, but he is showing a lack of intelligence and a lack of maturity.

My question would be is he ready to handle the pressures of the NFL, or will he crack under the pressure.

He had a chance to be the number 1 pick and he screwed that up, either the kid is getting some very bad advice or he needs to grow up.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 23, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"The questions about Andre Smith keeping his weight in check scare me more than the stupid combine story that is being overblown.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84"

This I can agree with. But the weight means nothing until he works out at his pro-day. Until then, I can't effectively say that he should be seriously downgraded.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I just think when you only have 4 picks you can't make any of those picks extra risky. To me, this guy sounds like a headcase and we don't need that. We need a guy who is a weight room, locker room, and all about the team kind of guy. We don't need more young players with maturity and commitment questions.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Smith on the other hand?

But I get what you are saying psps... but jack has a point with 4 picks....

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

zeebs, apart from the issues at the combine, Smith was very highly thought of, to the point that some guys had him going #1 overall. He's greatly talented.

If the issues at the combine, which I believe are small potatoes, never occurred, and he fell to #13, people would be screaming that he's the steal of the century.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"Sean Taylor was as close to a sure thing as you can get. Despite character issues.

Smith on the other hand?

Posted by: Zeebs"

And that's precisely what I'm saying. None of this stuff has anything to do with on the field ability. On the field, Andre Smith is unquestionably an elite talent. Sure, if we had a top 5 pick and there were equivalent talents with less questions, then we could pass on Smith. At #13, that's very unlikely.

The risk with Smith is not whether or not he can play at this level. And I'd much rather play it safe in that aspect than gamble on a weaker talent who may or may not be fit to compete in the NFL.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

zjfr2: "Though high-end tackles create a lower percentage of busts than positions like quarterback and receiver..."

They're still considered a risky pick, especially in the top six or seven. Particularly left tackle types. There's a slightly lower risk factor for the burly road-grader types.

GMs are aware of this, which is why Andre Smith could fall farther than expected.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 23, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

sam, I think A. Smith grades pretty highly in the running game if you look at some reviews of him.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 23, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

That wasn't my quote, I didn't say that at all....

I have no idea whether he'll be great on the field or not, he was good at Alabama but I also don't see many highly rated SEC defensive ends this year. In fact, Tyson Jackson is the only SEC DE I see ranked in the first round. So who knows how strong of competition he has matched up against one-on-one and Alabama up until last year wasn't a very strong program either. So I don't know how great he is, I just don't think we can afford to take a risky pick at 13 with only 4 picks.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure JT55's salary isn't an "issue" for his agent.

JT has no business being on this team next year at $8.5 mill. None. Zero. Zilch.

In this defensive scheme he is a blitz package gadget guy and he is NOT an every-down DE. He is going to retire after the year, and we are not "one guy" away from contending for a championship.

If we want a "professional" in the locker room, then bring back Philip Daniels at the vet min.

I'd frankly rather that we blow it all on Haynesworth than give another $8mill to JT55, b/c in this scheme, at least we are counting on the DTs to get the pressure on the QB.

Posted by: p1funk | February 23, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

MORE THAN $20 MILLION GONE FOR ANDRE?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2009, 10:30 a.m.

Darren Rovell of CNBC.com does the rough math regarding the impact of tackle Andre Smith’s bad weekend in Indianapolis.

Based on Peter King’s conclusion (as explained on The Dan Patrick Show) that Smith has gone from being a possible No. 1 overall pick to the bottom of the round, Rovell suggests that Smith has lost $23.8 million, given the contracts paid to the players drafted in the first round a year ago.

But that’s guaranteed money only. Over the life of the rookie contract, the gap could be much, much bigger.

Smith’s misadventures reportedly included a bad round of interviews on Friday, and then an unexpected departure from Indianapolis without participating in the Scouting Combine workouts.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

So Peter King thinks he should go somewhere between 25 and 32 then?

So Peter King or Vinny.... god what a choice.

RI poll, who do you trust?

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 9:35 AM

Greg,

Even if he's on the team for $8.5 mill, they can restructure his contract and reduce his cap hit this year to about $3 mill. For the Redskins, this is to be expected. Why feel the pain now, when you can wait and feel it later?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 23, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"That wasn't my quote, I didn't say that at all..."

Oops, it looks like it was you quoting somebody (Mike Florio, in a post at 9:36AM.)

I haven't heard Smith put forth as a right tackle type.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 23, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

This is Peter King's view of Andre Smith's combine:

"I think we are watching Andre Smith, the AWOL Alabama left tackle, turn into the 33rd pick of the draft, right before our eyes. Suspended by his coach for the bowl game. Out of shape when he gets to the combine. Leaves a day early -- he says because he wants to get home to hurry up and continue working with his trainer. Right. Smith will be hurt by the fact that for the second straight year there are six or seven very good tackle prospects, and teams would rather have a William Beatty (the UConn kid) with maybe a lesser upside than to take a chance on wasting a pick on Smith.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 23, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Its a little premature to drop smith out of the first round. Lets see how he does at his pro-day. Lets say he benchs in the 40 range, and runs a low 5 forty time. He'll be right back in everyone's good graces.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"Leaves a day early -- he says because he wants to get home to hurry up and continue working with his trainer. Right."

This is what gets me. How is this an issue? What does Peter King (or any GM) think he's hiding? They're trying to make it seem like he had some illicit operation going down, but now is trying to cover it up. It's moronic. The kid left early, after completing everything he was scheduled to complete, and forgot to tell team officials. Who cares?

Some team is going to be very happy when it's all said and done. I thought the plan was to find talented football players, not girl scouts.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I think it was the changing stories and then the admission he felt he was not in shape to do the workouts... that is a character issue that worries me.

The rap on 21 was not lack of passion for the game, this stinks like haynesworth, just gonna get paid type attitude.

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

anyone know what time the de/dt types are running benching...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Its a little premature to drop smith out of the first round.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 11:15 AM

Amen, Brother TownGreg. Don Banks had this guy as his first selection overall in his first mock draft. Sam Wyche had him as number two. Hard to understand how you can throw all that out the window because he was out of shape at the combine. But these journalists, when they smell blood, don't want to look like bystanders at a feeding frenzy.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 23, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"this stinks like haynesworth, just gonna get paid type attitude."

Disagree with this for 2 reasons:

(1) Every draft pick is in the "just gonna get paid type attitude" prior to the draft.

(2) He's hurting his stock, not helping it. That's not very "do anything to get paid"-esque.

I guess it will come down to who's available at 13. If the other 3 tackles are gone along with Raji, this is a no-brainer. A #1 prospect coming at a discount, don't even think twice.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

psp, If smith falls to 13, you then hold an auction for his services, and hopefully some team jumps in feet first.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

there you go greg.... use others temptations and deny our own...

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Gawd, the draft is two months away. By that time, Smith will either be a third rounder or will have restored himself to top-five. We can't know this today.

I personally would love to defer all discussion of the draft until we see how free agency shakes out. In fact, I will. I hereby vow that the only draft I will discuss is military conscription until free agency has run its course. Who else will join me in this pledge?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 23, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

te, I'd like to do that, but I enjoy draft talk way to much to promise something like that.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 23, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

TE;

the combine is going on, how is the out of the realm... we all postulate endlessly... and there is nothing else to talk about. All FA stuff is postulating too...

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

ORAKPO PULLS OUT A 4.60
Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2009, 11:07 a.m.
Texas linebacker Brian Orakpo has posted an unofficial 4.63 in the 40-yard dash.

Orakpo, 6′3″ and 263 pounds, has drawn comparisons from NFLN’s Mike Mayock to DeMarcus Ware.

Though he’s projected as an outside linebacker in the 3-4, Mayock, Charles Davis, and Warren Sapp agreed that Orakpo could be a rush end in the 4-3.

“You can’t put him on the left side [where] right-handed teams come at you with that big old right tackle and they just maul you and just lay on you,” Sapp said. “You can’t put him on that side.”
..................................

Sounds like another JT55 to me. And most of you don't like that type of player (JT55 and Carter, da tweeners).

So why look at Orakpo?

Posted by: RightWay | February 23, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

greg, I personally wouldn't. Only way I'd contemplate a trade is if the 5 guys we covet at the 2 positions of real need are gone (Monroe, Smith, Smith, Oher, and Raji).

If you need a QB and the top prospect you covet falls to you, you would grab him no matter how many needs you have. Same principle here. You only trade down when there's nothing of value where you stand. That is unless some team gets REAL crazy and is willing to mortgage their future on it.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

So why look at Orakpo?

Posted by: RightWay | February 23, 2009 11:51 AM |

Well because JT is only 240 and he is 34 years old.

This kid is 263 and can bulk up without losing speed. Plus he's young and strong.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 23, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned last years workout star Gholston who didnt start once this year.... hmmm, just like Orakpo

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

If he can play the SAM then I see him fitting the skins needs really well. He's about 260, strong and fast. Just the OLB you need to set the edge if you have smallish DEs.

Posted by: TWISI | February 23, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 11:59 AM |

Difference being Orapko was a beast on the field, he is not just a combine workout warrior.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 23, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

What is Aaron Curry's projection right now? He sounds like our best fit.

Orakpo sounds built for the 3-4 scheme. Texas played 3-4 last year.

No to Orakpo. We need some one of the Phillip Daniels mold.......

4th

Posted by: RightWay | February 23, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

So why look at Orakpo?

Posted by: RightWay | February 23, 2009 11:51 AM

If you could go back to the 2005 draft would you pass on Demarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman because you already have Lavar Arrington and M Washington on the roster?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 23, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

'...It's a little premature to drop smith out of the first round. Let's see how he does at his pro-day...'

Sounds like a plan.

It's better than listening to the nattering-nabobs-of NFL-negativism who seem determined to manufactuer reasons to downgrade a kid just so they can look 'smart' and ahead of the game.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 23, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

+++He d...the only reason he sucked last season is due to a rash of freak injuries...With a full offseason, I think he will return to form.

Posted by: Crunkenstein +++

He had THREE health issues last year. One, his Plantar Fasciitis. Two, his sprained knee. Three his compartment syndrome. Next year he'll be 35. Expect more injuries.

Also, Crunk, his declining skill set means he's an abject liability against the run, and the Redksins defense doesn't use his best talents from Miami, free-lancing, pick a gap and rush.

To summarize:

It's an old guy, for which too much was traded, who is injury prone, now being greatly overpaid to play the wrong position in an aging defense, and tying up money that could be better spent on young prospects.

Taylor is the gift that keeps on giving.

Posted by: TheCork | February 23, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

My point is, let’s learn from the past; I know you can’t change it. We need a pass rusher in a big way….to say we shouldn’t take this guy because we have JT or whoever on the roster is dumb because they guys we have are either not that good, or won’t be around in 3 years (or less in some cases). People are starting to make this guy sound like a can’t miss specimen who is the best pass rusher in the draft and has played both 3-4, 4-3, and is good against the run.

To say we shouldn’t take this guys because one of the stud OT’s is still there….I’m okay with that.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 23, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 23, 2009 12:06 PM

I don't see the connection your trying to make. If I knew that would have been LA56's last year, than yes, one of them would have been drafted. But then we would still had needed a corner. So, CR22 was the smart pick at the time......

Posted by: RightWay | February 23, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Gholston wasnt?

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Some of you are blinded by your love of the Skins - you can't see the real problem. Jason Taylor is not the answer and just more wasteful spending my the FO. Case in point:

1 - Taylor is NOT a good fit at LDE and his play is going to suffer b/c of it. In his previous 11 seasons with Miami he played RDE where he was much more effective coming from the blind-side.

2 - Are rush defense will suffer greatly with both Taylor and Carter playing DE. They are pretty much the same player when it comes to size and speed, and both are terrible against the run. When you have 2 starting DEs who weigh in at 250 lbs this is a dream come true for opposing offenses that want to establish the run.

3 - He will be 35 at the start of the 2009 season and coming off an injury prone year. He's NOT getting any younger and I wouldn't dare say that he is going to be back to his old form. I could be optimistic about his injury if he was 10 years younger, but at his age and years in the league I don't think he has much left in the tank.

It makes zero sense to keep Taylor at his price tag of $8.5 million (when his release fee would cost us nothing) - especially too b/c he will be out of the NFL after 2009. The biggest reason Taylor is going to stay is b/c of Vinny's EGO. Vinny would look like a fool if we released him, but in reality it would be a good move for the future of this team.

If you are going to pay someone that much money then why don't we release Taylor, Springs, Thrash, Daniels, and Griffin - save about $22 million and go after Haynesworth. The older players that are on this team are NOT the future. I could understand keeping these guys if we were a Super Bowl contender (i.e. - we went deep into the playoffs last year), but some of you need to realize that we are NOT. This team is worse off with those guys - the FO are not making an investment for the better of the team and its fans.

Posted by: TW0437 | February 23, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

If the 'skins were to use 3-4 packages in their defensive scheme next year, then all the talk of whether Orakpo can play LB or DE is irrelevant.

Just sayin'... Different week, same sh*t.

If orakpo is there at 13, you take him, and/or field offers from other team hoping to obtain his services - the 'skins need more picks. But I'd be just fine if they kept him. With the release of Washington and an aging Jason Taylor, he just may be what the 'skins need in their attempt to address their lack of a pass rush.

If Smith somehow falls to 13, you take him... and keep him. No way because a guy talks to an agent earlier than what he should've (which wasn't deemed inappropiate or investigated) and skips out on the combine a litlle early all the sudden falls from #1 on everyone's board to "the 33rd pick" - that's just a bunch of BS propaganda shoveled by the media with Peter King running the point.

I think people just love the dramatics. I think people want to see and hear about a guy with alleged character risks. It gives them the opportunity to judge and condemn someone else other than themselves.

Sad and pathetic.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 23, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

TW0437, such the negative nancy

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | February 23, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RightWay | February 23, 2009 12:16 PM
Not arguing that, I agree with the Rogers pick, based upon need. Just saying don’t pass up on a stud because we have people on the roster who are around the same body type. Especially due to the fact that pass rusher is indeed a need for us now (wasn’t so much back at the 05 draft).

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 23, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

+++This is good news. Taylor's a class act and a real pro. He does not have a history of getting injured, and he tried to play through an obviously debilitating freak injury last year.

I'm pleased we didn't part with the team's only reliable pass rush threat.

Posted by: Alan4+++

Yeah, he was a regular Bruce Smith.

Class Act?So's my Aunt Tilly, But she's about washed up, too.

And please, stop with the Big Lie about (one) "obviously...freak injury."

He came to camp slowed by Plantar Fasciitis, exascerbated by his selfish interest in cometing in a dance Contest to move his NEXT career forward. Then he sprained his knee. Was that freak? No. Possibly caused because he was slowed by age and/or the bum wheel factor, caused by his dancing and the wear and tear any 34 year old football player suffers.

Then he got kicked in the calf during a game,. Freak? Happens. But "freak" injuries happen more often to aging, undersized players who rely on their quickness, and who have lost a half a step due to age and/or injury.

The issue ISN'T whether or not they bring back Taylor. I have no objection to it. If he's healthy he could spell Carter, act as a rushbacket and spot player. But you don't pay THAT guy $8.5 million, especially on a cap-strapped, aging franchise that needs to rebuild.

Could have had Taylor at HALF that salary...Poor guy would have hadd to struggle to make ends meet, I guess. But it would make sense--something in short supply at Redskins Park.

And this move gets support here? Lots of Conservatives rail about Government giveaways. Well this is the sports equivalent--yet not a peep.

Where's Flounder with the reminded that there's a recession?

Posted by: TheCork | February 23, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I highly doubt JT55 will be brought back as a LDE. That was very much a diasaster. He did better as a stand up Roamer last year.......

4th

Posted by: RightWay | February 23, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Taylor, Schmaylor!

Change the team name to the Washington Mediocracy

Posted by: jfern03 | February 23, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

So why look at Orakpo?

Posted by: RightWay | February 23, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

That's been my point the whole time. If you're convinced he can take over for Washington and play the SLB role then put his hand down and rush on obvious passing downs ok, but I don't think he's ever played SLB in a 4-3 before so who really knows if he can. Again, IMHO we can't afford to take a "risky" pick at #13 and have it not pan out. We need an immediate impact guy there. Somebody needs to fall to us or we have to trade out, its that simple. If Raji, Monroe, or Smith (Baylor) fall to us take em, if Smith (Bama) or Crabtree, or Sanchez or Maclin are there then we need to trade out if at all possible. Or for this one moment I agree with Vinny's normal strategy and take the best player with the least risk. Crabtree would be awesome if he fell, even with taking receivers last year, you can't pass on that kind of talent, IMHO Orakpo is a huge risk for us, especially if we are keeping JT like it looks like then he makes no sense and Smith (Bama) may be worth the risk but we better talk to Saban and his teammates and find out if the media is blowing it out of proportion or if he seems as much of a maturity risk as say a Devin Thomas or Fred Davis type guy.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

peter king seems to think we are the front-runner for haynesworth

Posted by: mopp04 | February 23, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

VABeach,

I'm a realist - you just want to think the Skins are Super Bowl bound every year. Vinny's way of thinking and establishing this team is pathetic. Jason Taylor will make little/no contribution next year, but still be one of the highest paid DEs in the league.

This makes great sense - Get with it junior!

Posted by: TW0437 | February 23, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Where's Flounder with the reminded that there's a recession?

Posted by: TheCork | February 23, 2009 12:24 PM |

Cork,

I would give him no more then 2mil or he is gone.

This team is not winning anything next year, and he will be gone after that anyway.

You see everything the FO does as bad, I can see the bad and the good.

Bringing JT back at full salary is a stupid move, being done just because Vinny doesn't want to admit he made a huge mistake.

I can tolerate a mistake, I can't tolerate making that mistake worse by not seeing it and then fixing it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 23, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

One last thing.

Okay, $8.5 mill is earmarked for The Dancer

According to repeated reports, some $15 or so Mil guaranteed money is ready to be given to DeAngello Hall for 2009. He is the guy who quit on Atlanta, then quit on The Raiders, and impressed the always gullible Redskins brass with a half-season long salary drive.

And so, before FA gets started, with only 4 draft picks in the kitty, with badly aging players on both lines and needs at LB, the Redskins set aside about $23 million for Taylor and Hall.

As a lifetime Redskins fan, the only thing more depressing than this would be Snyder making it official and signing Vinny to a lifetime contract as "Vice President in Charge of Screwing Things up."

Posted by: TheCork | February 23, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

""Before the trade was done, he was asked if he would play out his two years left on the contract, and he said, 'Absolutely,' " Wichard said. "They asked for a two-year commitment from Jason. They gave up a lot to get him, so I understand why they did, and we gave them that commitment. That was the deal, so there's nothing new there. They weren't doing it for one year and we weren't doing it for one year. It was two years on both sides."

WHAT A PACK OF LIES!!!!!

Jason Taylor was brought in for immediate impact. To take a playoff team from 2007 and give it a chance to go deep in the playoffs in 2008. NO ONE brings in a 34 year old guy as part of rebuilding. Jason Taylor was all about WIN IMMEDIATELY.

Keeping Jason Taylor at his current cap/salary number makes zero sense

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 23, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

From Peter King who dosen't know much:

There's no long line waiting to pry Albert Haynesworth from the Titans.

In fact, Washington might be the logical landing spot. Hmmmm. I wonder why Redskins owner Dan Snyder was having dinner with the agent for Haynesworth, Chad Speck, at Morton's here Saturday night. I'm sure they were just talking about how it was colder here than at the Arctic Circle. But I kept asking all weekend: "Who wants Haynesworth -- or, more appropriately, who's going to pony up for him?'' And I got the old "it only takes one'' answer a few times. But one coach told me the smartest thing, and this was a coach who has some interest in getting Haynesworth at the right price, which is about half of what Haynesworth is hoping to get. "Everybody I've asked this weekend says, 'We're out of that,' or 'I don't think you'll see us involved in Haynesworth.' ''

Sad, really, because he's a great football player, an impactful player who can change a game from the interior defensive line spot. The downer stuff about Haynesworth:

• He's never played a full season. He's started three, 11, 10, 14, 10, 12 and 14 in his seven seasons.

• He's never played more than 65 percent of the Titans' defensive snaps in a season. You might say a Nnamdi Asomugha is tremendously overpaid at $15-million a year (much more on him later in the column), but Asomugha or a quarterback is going to play 95 percent of his unit's plays in the course of a year, barring injury. Even if healthy, Haynesworth's going to come off the field a third of the time, minimum. So do you want to pay quarterback money to a player who never touches the ball and plays two-thirds of the snaps a franchise quarterback plays? It makes no sense.

• He's got a reputation for coasting on some plays.

• He'll be 28 on opening day. You want to pay a 335-pound guy who's never started more than 14 games and is entering his eighth year $13 million or $15 million a year? Good luck.

-----------------------------------------

Now that being said, I wouldn't put it past Snyder to get Haynesworth and make him highly paid. But, I gaurreentee that that contract will have lots of clauses if he gets in trouble or out of shape........

Posted by: RightWay | February 23, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Typical Peter King skins bashing. Nothing more than conjecture.

And no way Hall is making $15M/year. $6 tops.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 23, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Repeating my long-shot prediction, Jason Taylor signs an incentive laden deal with the Patriots

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 23, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"This team is worse off with those guys"

Posted by: TW0437

No, we're not. There is better out there, but we're not "worse off" with those guys.

If you cut Jason Taylor (led the front 7 in pass deflections by far -- the one saving grace of the defensive line -- and was 1 sack off the team lead), Shawn Springs (the top corner on the team, and the best matchup for physical receivers like TO), and Cornelius Griffin (the key to the physical play of the front 7), you turn this defense from great to average. The only reason you cut these players is if you can IMPROVE the defense with VALUE. There is nobody out there that offers this. Haynesworth will cost more for much longer than those 3 on the team combined, and he will NOT transform a defense unless he has talent around him (which he'll have a lot less if those 3 are gone).

You don't cut players for the sake of cutting players. All of those guys will have their contracts run up by the time we need their roster spots and contract space to sign our young draft picks (of which we barely have this year). Cutting them now is mindless and will only serve to hurt the team, not help it. Unless you WANT to see this team in the cellar, that is.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor tipped tons of passes when he was in there, and caused the fumble on McNAbb which basically won the 2nd eagles game for them. he deserves a 2nd year.

hey corksucker #99 was a rush backer his last year in SF and it did not work too well.

i have no clue how they could afford haynesworth, and to me haynesworth seems like the type that would get lazy with mega$$$$

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 23, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Horton last pick against the aints was cuz of a taylor deflection

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 23, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"... but the premium issue for the skins is rebuilding their offensive line." Maybe. Maybe not. But you don't wants to squander high draft picks on OL. It is a waste of a precious resource. There are other options, not Oher options. 1. Teach Campbell to run for his life - if he does get beat up, no biggie, this is his last year anyway; 2. See what OL crumbs can be found via FA; 3. There will be some hidden gem OL in the third and fourth rounds.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | February 23, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Cork, absolutely agree on the idiocy of keeping Taylor. However, as Hokie fan as well as lifelong Skins fan I can tell you, Hall is not a quitter. He may mouth off, not know when to shut up, or generally make a donkey of himself, but he plays hard and is not afraid to take the other teams best receiver every play every game. The Atlanta thing was mess, he played hard the whole season, he got some personal fouls and in trouble for running his mouth about the soon to abandon the franchise coach for being a bad coach, but can you blame him for wanting out though after Petrino quit on the team midseason and Vick going to jail. Nobody in their right mind would have ever thought that would be a playoff team this year. Then he got shipped to the Raiders and had to go through that debacle with Kiffen too. He's 24 has elite skills and in half a season almost led our team in INTs. IMHO you don't let young elite cover corners go. He's worth the money to resign. Taylor on the other hand is just an idiotic move made by an impish wanna-be GM who can't admit he was wrong.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

And no way Hall is making $15M/year. $6 tops.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 23, 2009 12:42 PM

I thought the "report" said he would be getting around 15 mil garaunteed....not 15 mil per year (that's more than the Raiders gave him, right?), but that's just how I read it....I would think it means 15 mil over X number of years.....how many years is of course the big question.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 23, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Those that want to bash our 2nd round pick. Take a look at what the Jets got.

After leaving Ohio State as a junior, the 6-3, 265-pound Gholston sprinted like a running back (4.65 seconds in the 40) and pumped iron like an offensive lineman (37 reps on the 225-pound bench press) in Indianapolis, numbers that still awe scouts. Then-coach Eric Mangini was smitten with the sculpted defensive end-turned-linebacker, and the Jets chose him with the No.6 pick. You know the rest - no starts, no sacks and only five tackles as a rookie

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | February 23, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

+++I'm in agreement with you been on record many times as saying, that if you bring him back it's got to be for way less money.

I would give him no more then 2mil or he is gone..
---+++FLOUNDER

You're even more sensible than me when it comes to Taylor. You've convinced me. $2 mill is a much better idea.--THE CORK

+++You see everything the FO does as bad, I can see the bad and the good.+++

Refresh my memory...what have they done good lately?

The last thing I remember was Fletcher--and I'm not sure they deserve the credit for that. (Horton, too, but I dont' count 1 for 10 with a draft class as doing good.)

In truth, I beat the negative drum too much, I admit. But I'm past the saturation point with that crew. I'm not looking for redemption from Vinny and his people. I'm looking to see them cleared out and replaced with someone else.

In that respect, think of me as the yang of the Vinny-lovin' JLC haters on the board...

And while I'm at it--has anyone else noticed that this year's WR class is being talked up as vastly superior to LAST YEAR's? The "combine experts" (yeah, I know) are seeing several WRs as first rounders, and they are testing faster than last year's batch.

So not only did the 'skins pick the wrong WRs, but they picked the wrong year to go after WRs.

Posted by: TheCork | February 23, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd take Andre Smith at 13.

Posted by: p1funk | February 23, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Exactly cork, o line was viscous good last year and we took WR's. Wr's are awesome this year and we need oline.... go figure.

Posted by: Zeebs | February 23, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Take Smith at 13.

Have some of the money tied up in performance-incentives.

Start him at LT. Move Samuels to RT.

If Smith starts to tank/act up, we can move Samuels back.

We still have Jansen/Heyer as backups with Heyer the eventual replacement to Samuels (at RT) if/when his knees suddenly evaporate into thin air.

Posted by: p1funk | February 23, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually slightly torn. I love the skins and want to see them do well. But I hate Vinny so much that I almost am praying for another bad draft, round of stupid signings, and crap season. Then finally, maybe he gets the boot for a big name guy who wants full control. I'm not saying that's a guarantee for instant success, I think no matter what we get worse before we get better thanks to our line situations, CP's contract/inevitable not too distant decline, lack of legit WRs other than Moss who also has a big contract and is close to that decline wall. But at least if Vinny goes there is a shot that somebody who actually knows how to build a football team could come in. Who knows, the Tuna has a free opt out and has certainly proven he'll go anywhere for any project if the dollars are right.......

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"But you don't wants to squander high draft picks on OL. It is a waste of a precious resource. There are other options, not Oher options. 1. Teach Campbell to run for his life - if he does get beat up, no biggie, this is his last year anyway; 2. See what OL crumbs can be found via FA; 3. There will be some hidden gem OL in the third and fourth rounds.

Posted by: AntonChigurh"

Sounds a lot like what I'd expect Vinny to say. Lather, rinse, repeat of the last 10 years. It's done a hell of a job for us so far.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | February 23, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Betcha Rex Ryan figures out how to get something out of him.

Posted by: p1funk | February 23, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the logic of some of my RI brethren. Why would you cut Taylor. You can't call him a bust because he was was hurt. Also, you only cut him if you had someone to replace him with. I'm not convinced he won't have a good year, but once again, why all this guff over this defense that has been in the top 10 four of the last five years.

Where's the hoopla about the offense?

Posted by: rickyroge | February 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh please Cork how many 1st round wr's are busts??

Just because there are more 1st round picks this year doesn't mean there will be more bona fide NFL wr's in this draft.

Just off the top of my head heres some busts from the 2000's

Charles Rogers, Rasaun Woods, Michael Jenkins, Travis Taylor, Ashley Lelie, David Terrell, Freddie Mitchell, ROD GARDNER, R Jay Soward, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams.

ALL 1st Rounders and all sucked

I mean your masters favorite possession reciever of all time Eddie Royal wasn't a 1st round pick.

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

p1funk I think a good coach would have been able to get something out of our picks.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | February 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

psps -- on keeping JT ... no. But its not about whether JT can contribute. Its really about recognizing the Skins will not be competitive next season and that over 1/2 of the team's top 30 players will turn over within 3 years.

In order to accomplish this turnover, the Skins will need to effectively use their cap space and draft picks (granted, the track record on that isn't good).

What that means is high $$ guys -- in terms of cap hit -- need to go. Especially those who won't be here in 2 years anyway.

Top of that list is Jason Taylor

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 23, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

zfjr ... so you're saying that a bad draft gets rid of Vinny, and that's sort of addition by subtraction.

as painful as the thought is of more lost years ... I'm going to agree

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 23, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Beyond that, its 8.5 million that is a penalty free cut. No charge!!! we need cap space, we need help in lots of places, we don't need a 1 year guy at that price tag that last year makes it questionable on whether he's a legit starter much less a valuable commodity.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 1:11 PM |

zj Genius

zj Super Genius

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 23, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

beep beep. and hello there.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | February 23, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

as painful as the thought is of more lost years ... I'm going to agree

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 23, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

while I certainly don't like the idea of lost years either, I think even a great offseason makes next year 8-8 9-7 season anyway where as normal Vinny offseason could finally push this team to the wrong side of its redundant mediocrity, and with names like Holmgren, Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden/Allen, maybe Dungy, or even just as a personnel guy Parcells, I might take a bad year for the chance to get rid of Vinny and not have 5-10 more years of middle of the road squeak into the playoffs teams.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 23, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Where's the hoopla about the offense?

Posted by: rickyroge | February 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Here is the logic:
1) JT55 is expensive and does not fit our defensive scheme.
2) We were ranked 4th in the league in defense with him healthy for about half the games and not even a fullt-ime player for the ones he did play in - translation: we did it without him; we don't need him.
3) We have young guys like Wilson, Buzbee, Jackson who fit the mold of what JT does. It's not like he racked up a bunch of numbers that need to be replaced.
4) We could save $8.5 mill scot-free (no cap penalty), and use that money to upgrade anything else like locking up our CBs or signing some O-linemen.
5) He's 34 and we are not contending next year.

Posted by: p1funk | February 23, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Take Smith at 13.

Have some of the money tied up in performance-incentives...

Posted by: p1funk | February 23, 2009 12:55 PM

It's not that simple. What about the signing bonus? His agent is not going to let him sign for a less than what he's slotted to receive. Last year's 13th pick got close to $11M guaranteed. So this year's 13th is going to get a bump from that. You can't put that kind of money in this guy's pocket given what he's shown character wise.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | February 23, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1 -

I would normally agree with that, except I don't see much out there worth spending the money on.

"In order to accomplish this turnover, the Skins will need to effectively use their cap space and draft picks"

Exactly. And the worst thing this team could do is overpay for a mediocre talent in free agency that will leave the team on the hook for years to come.

No, in my opinion the smart thing to do is live with what the Redskins have now, let their contracts expire after the season is over, THEN use that cap space effectively. At that point, we actually will have a decent number of draft picks to sign, we'll probably have to re-sign Rogers to a contract extension, we'll either (1) re-sign Campbell, or (2) need to spend money on another QB, and we'll be able to toy around with a much more proven core of youngsters (so we know what direction to go in as far as spending the money). Right now, we're a mystery team with a lot of conflicting personnel (meaning young & inexperienced vs. aging & past-their-prime). Once we know how good the youngsters actually can be, then we can figure out how to effectively use the cap space.

That's my opinion. I personally think any money spent now on long-term contracts will be spent blindly in terms of the future. I'd much rather have an expensive Jason Taylor on the hook for 1 season than an average talent at an overpriced contract for a long period of time.

Posted by: psps23 | February 23, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

two437:"Some of you are blinded by your love of the Skins - you can't see the real problem. Jason Taylor is not the answer and just more wasteful spending my the FO.
1 - Taylor is NOT a good fit at LDE and his play is going to suffer b/c of it... 2. Are rush defense will suffer greatly with both Taylor and Carter playing DE. They are pretty much the same player when it comes to size and speed, and both are terrible against the run...
It makes zero sense to keep Taylor at his price tag of $8.5 million (when his release fee would cost us nothing) - especially too b/c he will be out of the NFL after 2009...why don't we release Taylor, Springs, Thrash, Daniels, and Griffin - save about $22 million and go after Haynesworth. The older players that are on this team are NOT the future."

Seems to me you could turn most of these arguments around and conclude Taylor is an excellent investment. For instance, having two outside pass rushers on the field at the same time can stress the defense and permit one to get through to the QB. You could also argue that it's not who starts that counts, it's who plays when. With Evans in the rotation, there will be plenty of time for run-stopping. You could also make a case that Taylor, coming off a year that he admits embarrassed him, will be motivated to finish strong. And give the young bucks (Wilson, Jackson, etc) another season to mature.

It's a judgment call, admittedly. If Taylor tanks, guys like two437 will be all over it. If Taylor succeeds, somebody will figure out how to take credit from Vinny.

That's the NFL for ya.

But signing Haynesworth, now THAT's a gamble. All the talent in the world, and it doesnt' really show until a contract year... makes you wonder what will happen once he gets that big, big check.
Let's hope for the best outcome.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 23, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"Its really about recognizing the Skins will not be competitive next season." Duh! What the Skins need to do is plot and scheme to get Sam Bradford in next year's draft. It won't be easy but if Danny and Vinny put their heads together they will be able to hatch a plan that will work. One problem will be overcoming the inevitable Detroits, KCs, Oaks, etc. that will be cluttering the way to the top draft pick. Some possible to dos - 1. cut as many old farts as possible, even if it doesn't save cap space; 2. trade this year's draft picks for next year's, preferably with teams that will be sucky in 2009. It won't be easy but Danny and Vinny have the brain power to figure something out. Then, when Zorn gets Bradford his offense will soar, Dopey and Sleepy be damned!

Posted by: AntonChigurh | February 23, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

That's the NFL for ya.

Let's hope for the best outcome.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 23, 2009 1:30 PM

I see what your saying, but the players I mentioned (Taylor, Springs, Griffin, Daniels) are built for teams that are WIN NOW. I think we can both agree that the Skins are NOT close to this.

I want the Skins to put a competitive team on the field, but I don't see that with the guys I listed as starters. With their ages and injuries they barely see half the games. At some point the FO needs to know when to let your investment go - whether is was a good or bad investment. You release the players I listed and immediately we are $25 million under the cap (including Washington's savings). Not speaking of Haynesworth, but there are other quality guys in FA that can come in and make just as good (if not better) contribution at DE or CB, and be much cheaper than Taylor or Springs.

Posted by: TW0437 | February 23, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

not an ideal situation- in a perfect world he'd take a $3-4 million paycut- but I agree it's better than cutting him. we need to go OT in the first round, this should help with that (i.e., not taking Orakapo/Maybin). I think if we can find a reliable right OT in Round One who can immediately step in and play well, this team could well be a contender this year. We have the weapons on offense, we just need the line give JC time to find them, and holes for CP to hit.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | February 23, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone read Peter King's article on SI.com? He swears that Haynesworth might some how be ending up here with our Skins. I don't see how that is possible if JT is sticking aorund, but you never know with Snyder. If we got Haynesworth we could draft a great o lineman at no 13.

Posted by: CL2307 | February 23, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

First of all, even if Peter King is right this time about Albert H, you know what they say about stopped watches. He's part of that mindless media crowd that tries to attach the Skins to every big name signing, in spite of the fact that plenty of teams have had more active FA signing seasons in recent years. Remember Lance Briggs? Someone even had the Skins on the short list to go after Leftwich yesterday! Moron alert.

As for JT, he's been saying all the right things and I have no problem with him returning, unless it's for $8 million. Then it's a joke and the Skins deserve whatever they get.

Posted by: messykat | February 25, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse