Taylor Puts on a Defensive Show

In further Jason Taylor news, he participated fully and took part in all team drills. In fact, Jasno reports that, with first-team offense going against first-team defense, he tossed Jon Jansen to the ground "like a wet rag" a good three yards behind the quarterback on one play That generated a chorus of "oohs" from the sidelines.

All in all, Jasno reports that Taylor put on a pretty impressive display, the day after his plantar fasciitis flared up. When the starters came off the field, defensive line coach John Palermo came over and gave him a bear hug around the head.

In Unrelated Injury News ...

Lorenzo Alexander shook off a shot to his legs. He was down for a minute and lost his helmet, then got to his feet gingerly. He came out for a minute but is ready to go back in.
...
Shawn Springs was on the field, taking part in 11-on-11 drills.
...
Kareem Moore was working in LaRon Landry's free-safety spot; Vernon Fox was there Tuesday.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 13, 2008; 9:51 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taylor Returns to Practice Field
Next: ARE, Rogers To Be Game-Time Decisions

Comments

FIRST!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jb | August 13, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I think Jasno can forget getting any Jon "Wet Rag" Jansen interviews in the near future.

Posted by: NCICURN | August 13, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

And when he did it all he said was BOOSH!!!

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 13, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

You're probably right, NCICURN. Fabini hates Wise (great moment when he mistook Steinberg for him) and now this. Fortunately, there's only 20 weeks of the season left*.
*yes, I know I'm not including postseason.

Posted by: Cindy | August 13, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I have eight followers, restraining orders pending against six of them.

Posted by: Cindy | August 13, 2008 10:00 AM

Don;t tell me, they are all called 'Dorf'?

Posted by: UsedRaincoat | August 13, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | August 13, 2008; 9:51 AM ET

Sure, but it's still pre-season. Colt Brennan was shooting a potato gun, not live bullets or even paint balls.

Posted by: Mull It | August 13, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread:
Chia Pet, are you a doctor for real? Can you give me any advice on how to heal my broken pinky finger?

Posted by: Lisa | August 13, 2008 9:13 AM

Dr. Chia's not here right now. In his absence I'd like to suggest plenty of bed rest, typing with the other fingers, and take two aspirin.

The doctor will be here with more detailed advice later. If he and I don't help you, try NCICURN. Both of us are practicing without a license.

Posted by: Mull It | August 13, 2008 9:17 AM

-------------------------------

I agree with taping it against your ring finger for support and stabiliztion. However, in place of the ASA; I'd suggest an ibuprofen (Motrin), it has better anti-inflammatory properties than ASA. Also, the ASA may cause increased swelling due to its anti-clotting properties and there are bound to be small vessels in the tissue to be ruptured that will cotinue to bleed with ASA. Also, remember to put some ice on it and elevate it above your heart. Hope that helps.

Posted by: NCICURN | August 13, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

RC, you're a wise old sage.

Good points. I'm not saying that Zorn should be prepping his induction speech for Canton, but I guess my point was, lets see what he does, before passing judgement.

As far as Mason goes, I actually might be coming around on him, not to the point that some are, and I'd still rather have Mix on the team, but I'm curious to see what exactly he is going to contribute to the team if he is kept.

That line about Jansen does nothing to allieve my worries about him this year.

Posted by: Greg | August 13, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Oops, RI only has seven Twitter followers.

Posted by: Cindy | August 13, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I'd be curious to see how Taylor does against a tackle who "isn't" overrated.

Posted by: KB24 | August 13, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Watching Jansen in the games and hearing this in practice, means one thing. He is D-U-N. He has simply lost a step and is a huge liability on the line. I was saying this last season. When he went down against the Dolphins it was a blessing in disguise. We need to use Wade, Heyer, or Rhinehart there...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I have questions about Jansen, too.
And where was NCICURN when I smashed my thumb (yes, SMACK, in the car door because I wanted to know if it hurt as much as an adult as it did when I was a kid; it does, but now I have a better, more colorful vocabulary) and was popping aspirin like Skittles???

Posted by: Cindy | August 13, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Twitter? What you talking about Cindy?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 13, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I'd be curious to see how Taylor does against a tackle who "isn't" overrated.

Posted by: KB24 | August 13, 2008 10:06 AM

He got around Samuel yesterday. But, more to the point, he's gotten around every tackle he's faced in his career. He's not a rookie -- he's been defensive player of the year. Should we roll the tape for you?

Posted by: Motivator | August 13, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Jasno,

Any take on the rip job the US got in the mens Olympic soccer matches today? Forced to play a man down the whole game on a simple (not even) foul call 3 minutes in. Laughable theatrics by the Nigerians falling down feigning injury and getting magic spray. The US could have still advanced except that Netherlands was awarded a mystery penalty kick in their game against Japan in the 70 something minute, eliminating the US. Something stinks, if memory serves, US was eliminated in somewhat the same fashion in the World Cup (forced to play man down for large portions).

Posted by: Quick Olympic Soccer Take | August 13, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

And where was NCICURN when I smashed my thumb

Posted by: Cindy | August 13, 2008 10:09 AM

Cindy, about the same advice as with your pinkie. Don't tape it to your ring finger, tape it to your forehead. That will remind you to be more careful in the future. NCICURN would agree.

Posted by: Mull It | August 13, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

It is surprising to me that 244lb Jason Taylor is manhandling 297lb Jon Jansen.

JT usually beats linemen on speed, he very rarely physically overpowers them. If I were Bugel I'd be really concerned about this because they won't want to have to go back to needing a blocking TE again like they had to with the makeshift line last year.

If JT did that to Jansen, Carter might drive him into the ground like a nail. Ouch.

Would I be right in thinking that Jansen's most recent contract rework makes him uncuttable as well?

Posted by: Redcoat | August 13, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Jasno - Are you sure it was Carlos who intercepted the ball? I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing that...

Posted by: Chris | August 13, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

We probably will need to start up a challenge for OT this season. I recommend a fazing out of JJ.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 13, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Twitter.com, Alex. There's a RedskinsInsider area. I don't think Dorf has signed up.

Posted by: Cindy | August 13, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Sorry couldn't be there for ya' Cindy!

About the only 2 good used for ASA (when not Rx by an MD) is for a fever (you can alternate it w/ Tylenol for better effect) and if you're having chest pain. It can truly be a life-saver in that instance. Other than that, stick w/ Tylenol and Motrin.

Posted by: NCICURN | August 13, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

From the previous thread :

"Just like when the team hired Zorn, and people were saying he'd be a TERRIBLE coach, and were calling the team the laughingstock of the league. My point was alway's to see how this panned out, to give Zorn a chance. Where are those naysayers now??"

Yeah, because Zorn to Be Wild is a staggering 2-0 in preseason games. WE WIN NAYSAYERS!

I don't know if it's just excitement that football season is here or what, but jeeze, what's with the preseason overhype?

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 13, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

It's always possible that, this being a practice, Jansen wasn't going full out. Not a knock on him, just trying to not read too much into this.
What about Aleve? And, taping my thumb to my forehead is advice from a quack [nothing personal, Mull It], right?

Posted by: Cindy | August 13, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see Jansen get some more work in preaseason.

Posted by: mastdark | August 13, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

truth, all I asked was to give Zorn a chance. I never said I was right, and they were wrong, I asked for a body of work to be observed, and then make a judgement.

Posted by: Greg | August 13, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Same concerns here about Jansen. And 297 pounds my arse! Is it just me, of have you guys noticed how out-of-shape he looks this year? I'd gamble he's well over 300, which explains the lost step. He's been a great Redskin but the injuries are just too much at this point in his career.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 13, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | August 13, 2008 10:21 AM

I'm thinking that Jansen has been ordered to whiff on Taylor a few times because (a) it will help Taylor reestablish his confidence after that second place on Dancing with the Stars and (b) it makes management look good for bringing him in. When regular season starts, Jansen will deck Taylor. Okay, maybe not Taylor, but someone just like him.

A quack? We'll see about that. Ignore my advice at your own peril.

Posted by: Mull It | August 13, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Jansen can comeback better than he has shown so far. He has looked slow to me in the first 2 preseason games and granted it is Jason Taylor, but you don't really want to hear that your starting right tackle was thrown to the ground like a wet rag.

Posted by: puttinforbird | August 13, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers caught a pass, Did they operate on his hands when the repaired his knee?

Posted by: Great One | August 13, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the medical advice, NCICURN and Mull It!!!

Carlos Rogers intercepted a pass??? Wow...just Wow....

We kid because we love....:)

Posted by: Lisa | August 13, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

As soon as somebody has a bad play, you guys are ready to cut him, relax let JJ get his legs back under him. the people always complaining trying to cut someone are the same people who complain that we cut them and they went somewhere else and had a good year.

Posted by: Great One | August 13, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Carlos with a pick. You sure he got that right. lol

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Motivator | August 13, 2008 10:09 AM

Motivator, I'm well aware of JT's talent, thank you very much. But, he's known more for his speed than his power. My comment was more towards Jansen, than Taylor. Maybe I didn't make that clear. You can't tell me you don't have concerns that Taylor threw Jansen like a "wet rag."

Posted by: KB24 | August 13, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Agreed on Jansen he is not looking good, I think that when he gets hurt this year and is out for the season that is it for him. I am not saying I want him to get hurt but he looks out of shape and that will cause him to get injured. Over/under on the amount of games Jansen plays.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 13, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Well to be fair, how big of a wet rag are we talking about? Hand cloth, small towel, large beach towel, or a beach blanket?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 13, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Very little about Favre up here this week... odd, but understandable in the wake of the unretirement vigil...

Here's a little piece about some of the younger Jets we'll see on Saturday:

One of these kid Jets is name Clowney. Clowney! That sure is a funny name. Ha ha ha! Maybe he and Crummey can pose for a picture together.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 13, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

53teenthrdst!!!!!!

Posted by: Ms. nuttsonshoulder | August 13, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Last!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Over/under on the amount of games Jansen plays.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 13, 2008 10:39 AM
______________

I'll take the over for games Jansen PLAYS.

I'll take the under for games Jansen STARTS.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 13, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"Another morning highlight: Carlos Rogers' interception of a Colt Brennan pass. The defense went wild over that one."

Cindy i realize you are busy but please edit a bit better. Who actually intercepted that pass?

Posted by: Skinz | August 13, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully with Jansen, its just a matter of him being rusty, not having played much football lately.

Fingers crossed.

Wonder how much Coles will play?

Posted by: Greg | August 13, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Fingers crossed.

Posted by: Greg | August 13, 2008 10:48 AM

Just don't hold your breath.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 13, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad somebody finally pointed out the fact that Jansen looks totally out of shape. At his age, and position, he can't afford to come in looking like that and not expect to hurt the team. He appears to be setting himself for yet another season ending injury.

Posted by: Cobra | August 13, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

F Brett Favre

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Jansen has had an entire preseason and more to get his legs back under him, and I don't think guys are wanting to cut him just for him to be at his best. I would have that spot up for grabs

Posted by: mastdark | August 13, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Nice article on the WaPo on Mason. Look for him to run more KOs in the three remaining games because Zorn is trying to find a way to keep him.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 13, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I have no doubt that Jansen is an old dog who has lost a step or two. But he does have tons of experience and how about this: Training against the best DE in the game will make Jansen's performance against lesser DEs the best it can be.

Buges will pick the right guys for the job and make sure they're as ready as they can be.

Now, if the FO could give Buges some better horses...

Posted by: Dik | August 13, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Dang I missed a lot with the PC convo and such. I'll keep my opinion to myself on that regard, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

I haven't seen much football recently except the HOF game, which was good except the first team defense. When you have half your starters sitting out, it's expected though. I really liked how there were very few obvious mental errors/coaching errors. Zorn called a good game and everyone executed well. I'm especially pleased with the progress JC is making. Aside from the scare with the "disappointed" comments a few weeks ago, he's been able to bring peace to my mind (no worries as long as he can do this in a few weeks). He's looked sharp and poised in the pocket. The showing of all 'skins QB's in that game though was extraordinary. Collins needs more time to adjust to Zorn's system. As soon as he starts to feel comfortable in this system, he should return to the awesome backup that he was in Saunder's system. Hopefully that won't take too much longer (I'm guessing another month or so - once the plays become automatic in his head where there's no thinking, his good mental instincts should take over).

As for the Olympics, the judging has been horrible. Everything where there is judging the announcers say at least two of the Chinese scores should have been lower and at least two of the American's scores should have been higher. Every single time; I just think they're subconsciously giving it to them. In some cases, like diving, the Chinese would have won even with fair judging, but it makes it hard to watch. Plus the Chinese gymnasts being under 13 when there's an age requirement is grotesque. Why would the IOC say their passports are sufficient; I'd want to see their birth certificates, passports, everything with the DOB on it to at least make more work for the cheating Chinese. And who has ever heard of a male Chinese cyclist being any good - wasn't he in the leading pack towards the end of the race? Same with swimming - they've gotta be taking some sort of PED's and probably able to get around the testing; I wouldn't be surprised to have the Chinese athletes know ahead of time when the drug testing is. On the good side, it was nice to have the Americans shut up the French in the men's 400 m freestyle relay.

Posted by: Karen | August 13, 2008 9:46 AM

Posted by: Repost from Karen | August 13, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know that Rick Santorum was a Redskins fan!

Posted by: MCG | August 13, 2008 9:46 AM

Funny you say that...I work with his niece!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | August 13, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

On the subject of Jansen, I wouldn't worry about him yet. He's coming off of IR and is still trying to get his legs back. And folks, bear in mind line play is about leverage and footwork. If JT came off the line quick enough and put a good shove on Jansen in the right spot at the right time, his weight and Jansen's weight are irrelevant. And let's not forget it's Jason Taylor, a guy who was the best defensive player in the league less than 2 years ago. If Chris Wilson put Jansen in the ground, THEN I'd be worried.

The way I see it, we see how Jansen plays this year and if he just doesn't have it anymore, we let him go. Jordan Gross is a free agent after this year, and I wouldn't mind a run at him if he gets to the open market.

Besides, the big news here is Rogers making a pick! I didn't think there was enough stickum in the world!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 13, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have any thoughts on Jansen's run blocking vs. pass blocking skills when healthy? Do his run blocking strengths out weigh his possible liabilities as a pass blocker if he struggles with speed rushers?

Posted by: GA_Skinz_Fan | August 13, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26, agreed on Jansen. I don't understand why so many people are so negative about him. Jansen looked fine in two preseason games as well as the rest of the starting offensive line. I wouldn't rush to judgment based upon one play in practice. Redcoat, I have not seen the play, but it is possible that Taylor caught Jensen a bit off balance rather than simply overpowered him? I remember Carter did something similar to his opponent in one of the regular season games last year.

Posted by: M | August 13, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see Jansen get some more work in preaseason.

Posted by: mastdark | August 13, 2008 10:22 AM

I don't think our QB's can afford allowing Jansen to get more work. He allowed two sacks already and he's getting shoved around! He's definitley the weak link on the O-line.

Posted by: MyrtleBeachMike | August 13, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

cindy, sorry i haven't downloaded twitterthingie yet. as soon as i do i'll sign up. can anyone recommend this cabbie the best aircard carrier? att or verizon or spring? (verizon is kinda expensive but i hear they have the best coverage) i am att customer right now...

Posted by: dealer | August 13, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

As encouraging as it is to hear that Taylor is getting more comfortable, I'm getting tired of seeing Jansen get punked by pass rushers. He was terrible in Preseason last year and I definitely think he doesn't block as hard to protect Campbell as he did for Ramsey and Brunell.

Posted by: Brian | August 13, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Brian. Jansen looked bad in pre-season last year before he got injured. Run-blocking he is ok but his pass-blocking is really weak right now.

Posted by: JamesTuthill | August 13, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

The comments / jokes regarding no way that was Carlos w/ the interception were very funny...

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 13, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, Jansen is not the player he once was, we can't cut him, but I can't imagine we can start him all year.

Parcells points out Redskins right tackle Jon Jansen. “This is Jansen getting pushed back,” he says. “He doesn’t look like the player he was a couple of years ago.”

Posted by: Dan | August 13, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Prediction: The Jansen-haters who have been screaming about him on this blog the past couple years will be eating crow a month into the season.

Posted by: OG Barno | August 13, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Brownwood26, with Jansen's contract, he's going no where next season. And what's with the Jordan Gross talk? In Vinny we trust. We need look no further than our own roster for Jansen's replacement. Draft, don't sign.

Posted by: Gfunk | August 13, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

hola crayola. tu cajita de sorpresas.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse