Taylor Still Isn't Near 100 Percent

Jason Taylor just spoke to reporters and his initial comments made his physical condition very clear, again.

"I'm nowhere near 100 percent yet," he said.

Taylor, 34, was asked when he thinks he might explosiveness might return. "I'm not there yet, but there's no excuse," he said. "I've got to find a way to make plays."

Taylor, who has started in 131 consecutive regular-season games, said switching sides on the defensive line has not been a major factor and said of the transition, "I'm getting there."

He said the run defense suffered from poor tackling and guys "trying to do too much."

The Redskins hoped he would be a difference maker when they traded for him July 20, but, from the sound of it, it could still be a while before his health is where he would like it to be. He is optimistic, though, that the 10 days between the first two games would help.
As for the knee overall, Taylor said, "I'm not as concerned about it as some people."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 10, 2008; 12:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Springs Looks to Shockey to Step Up
Next: Kelly Ready for Turn in Spotlight

Comments

could it be???

Posted by: cej75024 | September 10, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

yeah baby

Posted by: cej75024 | September 10, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

you double posted cyn.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

By the way, I wasn't trying to be nasty there Chris Larry just making a joke. I think LFB makes up for the poor play of the others. Rocky had like what 8 tackles the other day as well?

Posted by: Da Truef | September 10, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, humbly believe that Talor should be shelved until he is ready to play. Evans can handle the job in his absence. I'd rather have a healthy Taylor down the road. Who cares about the consecutive games streak.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he should rest until he's near 100%. I think it's selfish he keeps playing to continue his starting streak. It's hurting the team more than helping.

Posted by: Taylor needs to rest | September 10, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Not worried about Taylor. He wasn't ready last week, but we do have guys to rotate in there.

I'm worried about Griffin in the middle. At his best, he's a one man wrecking crew. Last week, the middle of our D-line was a non-factor. No getting into the backfield. That can't keep happening. With Golston out, it makes the line more vulnerable and less deep.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Truef...no need to apologize to cL for having an opinion.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

When I reread it, it sounded to me like I was mocking the choice of LBs. I was really mocking the team and all it's deficiencies. Not apologizing for the opinion.

Trying to keep the tone above board.

Posted by: Da Truef | September 10, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Bench his a$$ until he is.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

With Golston out, it makes the line more vulnerable and less deep.

Who said Golston was out Al?? I know his knee is banged up, but I'm pretty certain he's still playing?

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

If he isn't 100 percent or "nowhere near 100 percent yet", then why is he playing? They have enough liabilities on the field.

Damn. What is it pride, ego, competitive drive? I respect the man for wanting to play, but I know I wouldn't think otherwise if he couldn't.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 10, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

We get it JT, you're a tough guy and you gut it out through pain.

Now Blache needs to make the decision that's best for the team. And that's starting Evans at LE (or at least playing a majority of 1st and 2nd downs). Until Taylor reaches 85-90%, he should be purely a 3rd down pass rushing specialist.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Bench his a$$ until he is.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2008 1:04 PM

in-DEED!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I was very happy when they picked up Taylor, but it does sound like he is more concerned about his games played streak (a-la Bruce Smith). Saying that "there's no excuse" doesn't make him any more accountable for not making plays. Get healthy and let someone else (Evans) get some QUALITY work done.....

Posted by: dlhaze | September 10, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

da Truef, thanks...but not needed...come strong, come correct...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 10, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I hope Evans plays on 1st and 2nd. Shockey will be able to blow JT off the ball.

Posted by: Devo | September 10, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Anon....I don't think I can blame Loseable Type for that.

Posted by: Cindy | September 10, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

meep meep...

Posted by: Road Runner | September 10, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

How selfish can anybody be? Going out there "no where near 100%" just to keep his personal streak alive?

Posted by: John S. | September 10, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else paid any attention to the Ravens new head coach. He looks and sounds more commanding than Zorn. I have a feeling he's going to be a really good coach. Reminds me of a young Bill Cowher.

I just feel like our QB and Head Coach have the command presence of a lietentant, rather than a General. I'm worried the rest of this team feels the same way.

That spells mutiny and complete anarchy.

God Save the Queen...

Posted by: Devo | September 10, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Yikes...

Hope this turns out for the best, but this doesn't sound good at all...

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | September 10, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Jason Campbell proves that he is not an NFL quarterback.

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

It is time to get rid of Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder !

Posted by: gary | September 10, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Seriously. The years are taking a serious toll on the fanbase. I am not talking about being in the Super Bowl - I am talking about having hope for the future. When I look at this team today I don't see anything to be hopeful about. There is not one player that I would think most other organizations would crave on the Skins roster. At least not in any meaningful way. This team is being slowly, ever so slowly, run into the ground.

Posted by: Tyler Durden | September 10, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

If the 8 million dollar man, Taylor, is "nowhere near 100%", then he's got to be inactive for the game. Anybody on the team is better than what I saw from Taylor's performance. Who in the hell is running this show, the inmates?

Posted by: enuffalready | September 10, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tyler Durden | September 10, 2008 2:21 PM

L Landry
A Carter
L Fletcher
C Cooley

There's 4

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I do worry about it looking like the coaching staff is catering to what Taylor wants. Even if its not true if he plays and is ineffective then others might want to start being catered to as well. And if they all begin to focus on their own wants then that whole team first concept starts to break doewn.

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Once again Danny and the Rat got screwed on a trade.

Like taking candy from a baby, W.C. Fields would say.

Posted by: info | September 10, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse