Taylor to Have Second Procedure (Updated)

Jason Reid reports:

Defensive end Jason Taylor will undergo a second surgical procedure Monday to have fluid drained from his left calf, Coach Jim Zorn said after practice today at Redskins Park.

"There's been talk about it, but to be honest, I don't even know what the game plan is right now," Taylor said late this afternoon of his upcoming surgery. "I'm going to the hospital now to find out what we're going to do. The only thing I'm really focusing in on right now is hopefully playing in the game on Sunday and trying to help this team beat the Lions. The rest of it doesn't really matter right now. I've been hurt for a month, and it hasn't changed."

Taylor, whom Zorn said would play against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field, has healed slowly after having emergency surgery Sept. 22 to relieve acute compartment syndrome, a buildup of pressure on muscle groups because of internal bleeding. It is unclear whether Taylor would miss the Nov. 3 game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at FedEx Field.

The former NFL defensive player of the year has healed slowly, in part, because he has played the last two weeks against the St. Louis Rams and Cleveland Browns. The constant pounding on Taylor's calf has had an adverse effect on the healing process, Zorn said.

Taylor underwent tests Thursday to determine if an infection could be contributing to his lack of progress in healing. He has no infection, Zorn said.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 24, 2008; 1:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Your Predictions: Redskins at Lions
Next: Portis Practices, Is Ready to Go

Comments

Boy that is bleep bleep newz.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | October 24, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

First to say, that's not very good news

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 24, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Here's to ooze and drainage.

cheers!

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | October 24, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Seems like it would make more sense to drain it now, miss this game and the Steelers game, and then also have the bye week to get healthy for the stretch run.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 24, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Taylor can back too soon. I watched him carefully on several plays last game and he didn't do much.

I have no idea on how this thing heals and what rehab is required. But its very clear he isn't anywhere near full strength.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Can't we do it now so we have him for Pitt? Who cares if he plays vs Detroit.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 24, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

If anything we will need him next week. Rest him this week and let him roll next week.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 24, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

similar thing (if it is infection) is going on with tom brady and apparently the patsies aren't too happy with him cuz he went to his family recommended dr.'s instead.

ummmmmmmmmmm...my only question is why is he playing this week? why not do this now and rest up for steelers?

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

wow talk about ri universal/hive sentiment!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

We're still seeking answers. I don't know why you'd let the guy play in a nothing game Sunday and then have whatever drained Monday. Need more info, which we will share when we have it.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 24, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

because they have to drain the thingamabob

Posted by: alex35332 | October 24, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins say there is no infection; Tom Brady has a staph infection. It is not, based on what we know now, at all like Brady....

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 24, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for ooze and drainage - pus, too. I'll bet he sees very limited action on Sunday.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 24, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

its not a nothing game Cindy ... you know better.

Now if what you meant to say is "I've saw Jason Taylor's game against the Browns and it was nothing" ... I'd see your point

It does feel like there is more to this story ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

It does feel like there is more to this story ...

only in your mind....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 24, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 24, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

wha? staph infection? ermmmm is there an epidemic of staph infection we as general public should know about? and how DO YOU get a staph infection?

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

we keep hearing about how hurt he is, but we keep hearing he'll play the next game

maybe just maybe he should sit at least one game out? Against the worst team in the league? When he's practically ineffective the entire game anyway? Am I speaking a foreign language!?!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 24, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

SIT HIM FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS AND THE BYE WEEK SO HE CAN BE CLOSE TO 100% FOR THE LAST HALF OF THE SEASON, PLAYOFFS AND SUPER BOWL!!!!!! 11-5 BABYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

OBAMA 55% McSHAME 45%

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | October 24, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA 55% McSHAME 45%

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | October 24, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree...let Taylor sit til after the bye week and get him healed. Even against the Steelers I would sit him. Would like him 100% instead of aggravating it more next week.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 24, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Becaues no game is a nothing game... so sayith the rams loss

Posted by: alex35332 | October 24, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I've only known about one case of a compartment problem and ironically, I heard about only a few weeks before Taylor hurt his. It involved a guy who had it in his leg. It apparently did enough damage that he wound up not being able to run as a result.

Not much to go on, but its my only data point.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

WOW! They all are jumping off McCain ship. LMAO!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 24, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

so jm220, could you please tell us what a "water pill" is...(sincerely)

cindy, one of these ads on this page is making a cricket(ish) sound and is really annoying...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 1:48 PM |

Posted by: tafka | October 24, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Basically a staph infection is a bacterial infection that's resistant to treatment - we all get staph infections at some time or another, but the bad ones are those that keep hanging around even after treatment.

My kids had a couple when they were in high school; our family doctor told me that he used to see 10 - 12 a year, and he now saw 20 - 30 a month. He felt that the standard cause for staph infections had become resistant to antibiotics

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 24, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

When asked about testing positive for steroids recently, Will Smith said "Aww hell naw!".

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 24, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"Former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld joined other prominent Republicans endorsing Obama over GOP nominee John McCain in the campaign's final weeks

WOW! They all are jumping off McCain ship. LMAO!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage"

and jumping on a ship that is just as crooked, corrupt, and worthless! Woot!

who cares????

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 24, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

This 370 thing is old. Why not 365? Seriously...number is meaningless...it's the hits the guy has taken and CP has been pretty good to avoid them so far.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 24, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I agree, svx. Also, some of CP's biggest hits are on plays when he soesn't even "touch" the ball. Think about some of his blocks on LB's, when he just stones the rushers! These stats are for us to throw around, but the coaches have to look at a lot more than stats. Having said that, I would like to see CP get the second half off in Detroit.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 24, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

All right, it's not a nothing game.
And we reported on the threat of staph infections in the NFL almost two years ago:

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 24, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Let's leave politics off this blog, please?? One respite from the BS would be nice.

I'd like to return ever so briefly to the 370 Curse thing. Given that allegedly no RB has ever returned to elite status after surpassing this number, it seems to me that JZ should aim to keep him well under that number. I'm sure 350 carries has done in many an RB, maybe even 330...but 370 seems insurmountable.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 24, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

fredie...as much as I want CP to take some time off...I want to see him go for 182 and 3 TDs in the first half then.

That would give him 1000 yds and a heck of a fantasy day(on my team)

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 24, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

dealer1 what makes you think I know what it is? Are you trying to say that I take water pills to cover up my steriod use? (that is a joke but one of the reason it is used) It also use to bring a person weight down.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 24, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

look at cindy rockin wapo! you go girl! apparently it is common in prisons and now in nfl locker rooms...that's just wrong!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"Water pills" are diuretics...like Lasix.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 24, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

guys, I don't think 370 is the end all be all number, but I think it's hard to deny that it's a reasonable barometer of what's "way too many carries" for an elite RB, given history. Especially one that has carried the ball more than just about anyone the last 5 years.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 24, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

jm220, i was wondering why it's called "water" pill...i knew you'd know cuz you i know you...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

That would give him 1000 yds and a heck of a fantasy day(on my team)

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 24, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Better play for the season, not just a single win. Once we get a nice lead, I say bring in SA, and continue to pound the rock.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 24, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

LONDON (AP) -- An expanded regular season would improve the overall quality of the NFL and increase interest among fans, commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday.

The NFL discussed adding one or two more games to the regular-season schedule at its owners meeting this month, but no decision was made and no change is expected for 2009.

In the long term, however, Goodell said it made sense to shorten the preseason schedule in favor of more competitive games.

"We think that's better content, it's higher quality," Goodell said. "That's what our partners, our fans are going to demand."

Goodell was speaking at a conference on the globalization of sports in London, held in conjunction with Sunday's game between the San Diego Chargers and New Orleans Saints at Wembley Stadium. He said the league is still working out the details of a possible expansion, and that any deal would have to be negotiated with media partners and the players' union.

"But from a quality standpoint, we believe it's one alternative to improve the quality of our game," he said, adding that the long preseason has little entertainment value for fans. "It's clear that our four preseason games are not high-quality content. They're just not at the same level our regular-season games are. They don't have the consequences."

Goodell spoke during a panel discussion with Richard Scudamore, the chief executive of the English Premier League. When asked by moderator Jim Nantz of CBS, Goodell said the NFL had looked briefly at the possibility of copying the model of European football leagues -- where the bottom teams get relegated to a lower league every year -- but rejected it as unfeasible.

"It is a fascinating concept, and we've actually talked about it a great deal," he said. "Relegation is something that has created a great deal of interest. But it would be counter to everything we do now."

I'm starting to dislike Goodell more and more...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 24, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

A water pill is a diuretic, and the reason why people call it a water pill should be obvious. Staph is ubiquitous to skin and therefore most surfaces. The issue is when it invades the body through an open wound. Recently, staph has become increasingly resistant to antibiotics, therefore causing greater concern. Staph can colonize the bones, or cause a whopping localized infection leading to sepsis and death. Someone in my church recently had a staph infection in his ulna (forearm bone) and had to get IV antibiotics for a couple weeks.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 24, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Certainly diuretics mask steroid use, but they also can be used to control weight, which is a problem for some players.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 24, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I profoundly agree that Taylor should drain the thing now and sit this week.

If he still can't make it back by Pitt, then so be it, he ends up with almost 4 weeks rest and rehab, and we're good to go for the stretch run.

Portis will be fine, he may end up sitting second halves or second and third quarters and be just fine.

Posted by: craig2 | October 24, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Diuretic: Anything that promotes the formation of urine by the kidney. (The word "diuretic" comes from a combination of the Greek "dia-", thoroughly + "ourein", to urinate = to urinate thoroughly).

Lasix: is a loop diuretic (water pill) that prevents your body from absorbing too much salt, allowing the salt to instead be passed in your urine.

thanks cindy!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 24, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I find it odd that a guy going by "dealer" is asking others about quasi drugs. ;)

Posted by: Gweez | October 24, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious why the steroid policy is the way it is. If a player's urine is simply dilute it is the same as if the player came back with a positive result. If there's no diuretics in the player's system, then you just do a quick specific gravity test before they leave, and if it is too dilute, you have them drink nothing and wait a couple hours and pee again.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 24, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

don't click that unless you are prepared to read about a pitiful, sad, and embarassing piece.

with quotes such as :

"But I don't think they're a very talented team at all."

and

"I obviously think highly of him [Larry Brown], and I know what he can do, but I can also see this being the end of the cliff for him, too, because I really don't think the team is very good."

it's gonna be a long season folks!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 24, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

From the Redskins blog:

Good day for the defense, highlighted by a great Carlos Rogers interception from in front of Fred Davis. Rocky McIntosh and Fred Smoot also had interceptions, and Smoot and Leigh Torrence both knocked down a few passes. “Couple days rest really helps to keep everything kosher,” Smoot said afterward.
Smoot also noted again that the Friday practice is about “red zone, dotting I’s and crossing T’s,” and that what it looked like. The first-team offense looked crisp — Santana Moss especially has really had a good week of practice — and, as noted, the first-team defense was really flying around. I’m reiterating my disagreement with Peter King from earlier today: if something goes wrong for the Redskins this week, it’s not because they haven’t been focused on the game.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 24, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

It does feel like there is more to this story ...

only in your mind....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 24, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'll spell it out for you Greg. Zorn says Taylor's slow healing is partly due to the pounding he is taking. They already appear to have a procedure lined up for Monday to address a problem that they anticipate as a result of playing on Sunday. Taylor hasn't been productive on the field. He pulls out of a commitment to speak to reporters.

So why is an injured and currently unproductive player, who can have major impact when healthy, playing now? Especially since the other guys, notably Evans, are playing better? Especially since playing is slowing his recovery?

That's why it feels like there is more to this story.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I have a nasty raw wound on my middle toe that was caused by my new body boarding swim fins. I'm gutting it out and playing thrugh the pain.. the surf has been too good to take some time off to let it heal properly. I think its gonna be around all season, I'll continue to monitor and hopefully it will get a chance to heal if we get a bye in surf conditions.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 24, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Love conspiracy theories....love em....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 24, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I think dealer has been using performance enhancing 'roids and that is why his fantasy football team beat mine

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn says Taylor's slow healing is partly due to the pounding he is taking."

I haven't read that anywhere at all...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 24, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 |

LMAO!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 24, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

we're all hoping for a fast recovery for you ... SkinsfaninKaneohe ... just don't be trying that jaws wave.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I trust that the coaching staff knows what they are doing in regards to how they are handling Taylor's calf. I just hope that after he has it drained on Monday that he will still be able to play vs the Steelers, We need his pass rush against the a very weak Steelers O-line along with his ability to knock down passes. HTTR!

Posted by: Skins28 | October 24, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Blood, ooze, vomit, turf balls up nose...

Is it me or has the subject matter on the WP blogs taken a serious turn for the grotesque over the last two days?

Posted by: RambleOn | October 24, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn says Taylor's slow healing is partly due to the pounding he is taking."

I haven't read that anywhere at all...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 24, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Truth ... from this post by Jason Reid

"The constant pounding on Taylor's calf has had an adverse effect on the healing process, Zorn said. "

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

The Skins should be concerned about Staph infections this week -- particularly with players like Taylor who have open wounds. Do you think Jason had to tackle Kellen Winslow last week?

The Skins should rest Taylor until the Cowboys game on 11/16. They certainly could use him next week against the Steelers, but hopefully he'll be more effective and fully healed after sitting out 3-4 weeks. Sounds like coming back after two weeks was just too soon...

Posted by: siris | October 24, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Love conspiracy theories....love em....

Posted by: BeantownGreg |

Wouldn't put this down as a conspiracy ... just saying we've only seen parts of this story to this point, feels like there is more to come.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 24, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

He should just rest. Not sure we'll need him so much this week or even next week. Steelers are AFC after all so it's not a huge deal if we lose to them.

Posted by: isonic1 | October 24, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

good shirt truth - so, if you didn't read it somewhere then it can't possibly be true - is the converse then also true - if it's in print, it must be true?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 24, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Hit refresh...updated with Taylor comment.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 24, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Nice article on CP on Yahoo sports:

I for one have never understood all the hatin on CP since he has been here. He has had like 1300, 1500, 6 or 7 hundred (injury shorten season) and that was playing on bad offenses that had no passing game to speak of.

And if you ask me Denver's running game has not been near as good since he left town. Sure they have had 1,000 yard rushers, but it don't take much in a 16 game season to get a G.

Also since entering the NFL in 02 only LT has had more yardage in the regular season 9,860 to Portis’ 8,533 and that is in 11 more games.

Just glad CP finally getting the credit he deserves this year as one of the NFL's best backs (the best this year!!!)

Posted by: wstclair | October 24, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I bet Taylor's going out of his mind not being healthy like this.

Posted by: craig2 | October 24, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry... Jaws is WAAAAYYYYYYY out of my league. I try to stay within myself and just do what I can do to get a good surf in.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 24, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff on CP26. The whole 370 thing needs to be put incontext. I feel like that figure is a marker for RB's that dont normally carry so many times, then they have a couple years where there carries are up or one year in particular with many carries 370 and they are never the same. CP26 is the definition of a workhorse and has been totting the ball as much as anyone since he came into the league. Since he regularly sees carries in the 300-340+ range I dont see this figure as having an impact on him. Howvea for certain backs hitting that mark can be a death spell.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 24, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

where is Kaneohe?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 24, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"The constant pounding on Taylor's calf has had an adverse effect on the healing process, Zorn said."

Gee, ya think.

Posted by: p1funk | October 24, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Kaneohe is an Area in Honolulu County, hawaii. The area is on the windward side of the Island of Oahu, App 10 miles N of downtown Honolulu. The are is bounded on the W by Koolau Range, on the S by Kaneohe volcanic cone, and on the N and E by Kaneohe Bay. A flat costal plain extends inland from Kaneohe Bay for App 1.7 miles. Gently sloping land rises above the plain and continues to the foot of the Koolau Range. The Town of Kaneohe, which is within the central section of the area is a major commercial center windward of Oahu. The residential pop of the ares was estimated to be 29,405 in 1970.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 24, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 24, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

DRAINAGE! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry

Posted by: tarling | October 24, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

For those in the DMV, if you haven't heard yet, check out Chris Paul of WPGC 95.5 song "Smashing Lions"--a rendition of Kanye West's "Flashing Lights".

Great stuff.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 24, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I knew he came back to fast! This staff is a bunch of idiots. He should have sit until after the bye week. We didn't need him to come back that fast!!!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 24, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh this makes no sense. Have the surgery this week and miss the Lions game. then be healed up and ready to go against a real team.

Posted by: epjd | October 24, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor = Glen Davis

Posted by: jpd03267 | October 24, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

4-12. Good thoughts on resting Taylor until after the bye week. Call Zorn and tell him what you have in mind.

Posted by: coastallp74 | October 24, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but I don't think compartment syndrome is an easy injury to recover from. I know someone that suffered from this, in his calf, and it has taken over a year and a half for things to resolve. Obviously, Taylor received better, more immediate care, but I've been very nervous about this injury from the beginning. I hope things work out for the best and he returns soon, but I suspect he will struggle with this all season.

Posted by: teamn | October 24, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

OK Notorious, which is is gonna be? First it's:

The fade to: Here's to Clinton's only 4th quarter running being after the Lions cheerleaders.

Frankly, I think Bill Clinton has suffered enough for a couple of minor indiscretions and since he's no longer eligible for the presidency, he should be given a chance to enjoy himself. Nuff said.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | October 24, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully when Taylor gets healthy it probably would be wise to let him play his original position from the right side. Afterall, Taylor hardly been hurt when he played from the right side. Moving Carter to the left won't matter because he's not doing much anyway. Why try changing an all-star defensive end?

Posted by: demonj21 | October 24, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Coah Zorn said, "He's putting so much work in on the field, we can't get the thing healed right."

Why not just let him rest and heal properly first?

Posted by: sagaliba | October 25, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse