Taylor Trial Now Set for Jan. 18

The men accused of killing Sean Taylor were back in a Miami courtroom today, appearing with their lawyers before Circuit Court Judge Dennis J. Murphy for a hearing that lasted fewer than 15 minutes.

The only major order of business was pushing back the trial date for the third time. The new date, Jan. 18, 2010, will fall more than two years after Taylor died from a gunshot wound he suffered when confronting alleged intruders in his Miami home Nov. 26, 2007. "It's a little difficult working with everybody's schedule," attorney Stephen Kramer told Murphy. "We're trying to work through it as best we can."

None of the attorneys who clustered in front of Murphy agreed to an interview or responded to requests for one this week, with several citing the gag order placed on the case last year after waves of early publicity.

But David Edelstein, a criminal attorney in Miami for more than a dozen years who has no connection to the case, described the pace through South Florida's state court system as perfectly normal and a spokesperson in the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office said further delays would not be unusual.

"Even just a regular felony case in Miami can easily take a year-and-a-half or two years to go to trial," Edestein said. "When dealing with a case involving first-degree murder, it can take even longer depending on the complexity of the case and the seriousness of it."

This one, lawyers say, is complex. There are five co-defendants and all hail from Fort Myers, Fla., a town on the state's west coast. Facing first-degree murder and armed burglary charges in connection with Taylor's death are Eric Rivera, 19; Jason Scott Mitchell, 21; Charles K. Wardlow, 20; Venjah Hunte, 21; and Timmy Lee Brown, who turned 18 Sunday.

Taylor died Nov. 27 at 24, a day after being shot in the upper thigh when he surprised invaders to his home in the middle of the night, police have said. A Miami-Dade grand jury alleged that Rivera pulled the trigger. At least two of the accused were friends of Taylor's half-sister and had been in his home previously, according to interviews and reports released by the court.

All of the defendants replaced their original attorneys from Fort Myers with attorneys in Miami. Hunte, the only defendant not present Tuesday, is attempting to undo the guilty plea deal he entered into last year. In exchange for agreeing to testify against the other defendants, Hunte accepted a 29-year prison term.

He is scheduled to appear in court Friday. If convicted, the men face life in prison.

By Amy Shipley  |  June 9, 2009; 1:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Call Off Today's OTA
Next: PBA Eagerly Awaits Smoot

Comments

Everything about this story leaves me shaking my head. What a waste, in so many ways.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 9, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Hate to interrupt this Rap dialogue, but someone from the Post should lob a call to Pete Rose for his opinion on the league sanctioning the Redskins crawling into bed with, excuse me, signing a partnership with a gambling enterprise.
Love to know if he's offended by a sports franchise pimping out, excuse me agaibn, leasing their logo to an organization whose goal is to encourage people to gamble.
I'm also curious, and maybe someone should ask a Redskins spokesman,like Cereato, or Larry Michael, if they plan to put the Lottery logo on the uni any time soon.
Just kidding. Those kind of questions might offend someone at redskin Park
Posted by: TheCork | June 9, 2009 2:00 PM

I would like to hear what Roger Goodell thinks. He is the one who sent his lawyers off to sue Delaware when they legalized sports betting because it would tarnish the NFL’s image. Seems like hypocrisy to me…….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 9, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I got a football related question for you sports fans. the Bog just announced that the Army-Navy Game will be at FedEx in 2011.

I have not heard any word if the Eagle One Bank Bowl (or whatever we will call it this year) will be played again in DC. I know they wanted it to be set up to be played at Nationals Park last season and it did not work out.

If you were to lay out a football field in Nat stadium, how/where would you locate it with the given proportions of the field and the relationship to those stands? I am assuming bleacher seats would be thrown in in spots in the stadium.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. I wonder what our defense would be like with him still around.... likely we wouldn't have Horton, but him and Landry were about to make the leap...

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 9, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Odds are we would have Horton, he was a compensation 7th round pick that we got because he knew the system. So going for him at that point would have been probable for us.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

this just made me miss...time to remember.

RIP

Posted by: BurgwithaU | June 9, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Can I adopt the name 'John Cork Madden'?

Please?

Posted by: RedDMV | June 9, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Quiet up here.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Hardest hitter I have ever seen in my life. His 07 season looked like it could have been one of the best ever by a safety. Still my favorite skin of all time. RIP21

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 9, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

All should get life in prison. UGHHHHH it still makes me so freakin' angry.

I love Sean Taylor so much. :(

Posted by: rachel216 | June 9, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Its yours Red...

Posted by: chrislarry | June 9, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

'preciate it, cL...

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 9, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

For the rest of the week, I'm using this name.

Is it true that Sean Taylor hit Willie Parker so hard he kncked his shoes off?

Da-aaaaamn!

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 9, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

A spokesman for Community Boating confirmed that Brady and his wife Gisele Bundchen rented kayaks on Sunday

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 9, 2009 12:26 PM

Now that Tom and Gisele are married, what do you think they talk about? "I think we need to take the Mercedes in for its 7,000 mile checkup"?

And, better, what do they fight about? "Its your turn to take the damned car in"?

And how did they end up in kayaks on the Charles River? "Tom, we never go out anymore"?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

For the rest of the week, I'm using this name.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden |

It's got to be easier than explaining "I don't work at the DMV. I'm from DMV." How many times did you have to do that one? Stupid me, I thought it was "DelMarVa" -- that you were a Eastern Shore guy.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

the funny thing is that the charles river is incredibly polluted....there were a lot of factories built near it back in the day, they'd dump their waste into it back before regulations on this stuff.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 9, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

t_e, I've had to explain the letters 'D', 'M', 'V' several times.

Just was told today that DMV are actually blue states. Forgive me, but I couldn't entertain that one.

Nope not from the eastern shore, I's just a city boy I suppose.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 9, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

I'm guessing its things like "Last year it was YOUR family ..." And I'm sure she always wins the fights.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 9, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 9, 2009 4:43 PM |

If she wins the fights, then last year it was her family, every year. "I'm so damned tiered for weiner schnitzel and sauerkraut." Can this marriage be saved? Sounds like she tried to drown him, and they're covering it up as a spill in a kayak. Right.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

LMAO - tuh, you think they even let the Benzo get that many miles on it before they're swapping it out for a new one? Matter of fact a Mercedes to them is like a Focus to us.

Tom and Gisele are so caked up (lots of money) it's not even funny.

And as to what they argue about, I'm guessing it lies along the lines of debating whether they're going to the French Riveria or St.Tropez.

Caked up, they are.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 9, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

"I'm so damned tiered for weiner schnitzel and sauerkraut."

What he meant to say was "I'm so damned tired of weiner schnitzel and sauerkraut." "tiered for" is literal translation from German.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

she actually makes more than he does....true story..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 9, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 9, 2009 4:47 PM

That would be an interesting argument, one that they can both win. Isn't Saint Tropez a village in the French Riviera? "I say potato and you say potahto..."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

she actually makes more than he does....true story..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 9, 2009 4:50 PM |

And you can bet that comes up in conversation once in a while. Jokingly the first few times, then pointedly. One day, bitterly.

Anyway, because of it she wins the arguments and he's the one who has to take the Mercedes back at 7,000 miles. Not to service it, but to trade it in.

"Is Ms. Bundchen's Mercedes ready for me to drive home?"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Oui, t_e, Saint Tropez is in the Riviera.

But maybe the joke is that Brady and Bundchen are so dumb they don't know that! Ha ha ha!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 9, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 9, 2009 5:02 PM |

And so rich that it doesn't matter: they can buy both of them.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Also, dude fell out of a boat! Ha ha ha!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 9, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Also, dude fell out of a boat! Ha ha ha!

Posted by: NateinthePDX

If you go back to the prior thread, Nate, you'll see that even exceptional people fall out of kayaks.

As for what the genetically blessed duo discusses, I'm thinking its whether or not crunch berries are real berries or just somethn Captn Crunch made up.. And whether to sue over it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 9, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Also, dude fell out of a boat! Ha ha ha!

Posted by: NateinthePDX

I only posted my 'falling out of a kayak' list earlier. If you want to make it about boats ... um ... lets see. I add the Salmon (Cal version in this case), the Tongariro and Rio Futaleufu to the prior list.

Of course Nate, if you're interested in staying in a boat, but having an adventure ... I can put you in touch with people that can almost guarantee a swim free trip in Oregon.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 9, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

z, I caught your comments on the other thread. And I appreciate that you have a sense of humo(u)r about your falls out of boats.

It's filthy, as Greg noted, but beyond that I wouldn't think the Charles holds a candle to the rivers you listed, hazard-wise. Just a guess.

I've done a bit of paddling around here and there, rental canoes or kayaks, with our older boy. But it hasn't really caught on as a lifestyle for us as yet. Rest assured, sir, I'll give you a holler if I decide to have a proper maritime adventure.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 9, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Ah, no justice comes for the murdered black man, even if they are a millionaire.

Posted by: BMACattack | June 9, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping the Red Wings hoist hockey's version of the Lombardi on the Penguins' ice tonight. Here's hoping to a merciful ending to a painful series.

Between these two teams, for me, there is no "favorite." It's like watching a Super Bowl between the Cowboys and the Patriots: one team I hate, another team I simply loathe. F 'em.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 9, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

They made it official Nats just sighened Strasburg.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

sorry drafted.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

you said nate...

Posted by: chrislarry | June 9, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

i mean you said IT nate....re: stanley cup

Posted by: chrislarry | June 9, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

alex, "sighened" works for me.

Everything with the Nats these days elicits a sigh, but we can't even get sighs right.

Yeah, cL, F the Wings and F the Pens twice. "winners." Sheesh.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 9, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

the Nats signing the kid is a whole lot different than drafting him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 9, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

yes I realize that. But my gut tells me they will not botch it 2 years in a row.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

But my gut tells me they will not botch it 2 years in a row.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2009 7:03 PM |

My gut tells me they will sign him. It's my brain that tells me they won't.

This guy Aaron Crow who they chose 9th last year and didn't sign hasn't been taken in the first nine picks. Some were projecting he'd go in with the 2nd or 3rd pick. He must be furious with his agent.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Terrible shame it takes this long to get the trial done. Has to be incrediblt tough on the family. Not that five guilty verdicats would make them feel any better, but maybe a step closer to peace.

Detroit and the Pens is like watching the Giants and the Eagles. There really is no winner for me. Like choosing between my sister dating Kobe Bryant or R. Kelly

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 9, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

As someone who grew up watching the Red Wings when they were 0-for the 1970's, the last 20 years have been better.
So enjoy your Wings, I suggest a tangy buffalo sauce with a simple ranch dressing, with a cold beer or two.

Posted by: daggar | June 9, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Like choosing between my sister dating Kobe Bryant or R. Kelly

Posted by: CheyenneWY

That ahs to be the winner of the 'best and most wrong' comment of the day

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 9, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

"Buzbee Ready to Take Another Shot at a Spot"

Question - does Buzbee think that "buzzed, be driving" is drunk driving (see banner ad at top of this page)? Maybe not, but "taking another shot" isn't going to help matters, especially if that "spot" is Sideline, where Landry and DT hang. Dude needs to keep his pockets straight.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | June 9, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Aaron Crow went to KC, good for him as a Missourian bad for him as he is going to be living in Kansas City.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

*yawn*

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 9, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, #21's schedule is a little f-ed up, too. Justice delayed is justice denied. Get on with it!

Posted by: InRealAmerica | June 9, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

The story does not say why the delays are occurring. But 2 years is a violation of that right to a speedy and fair trial. You can hate what these dumb kids did but their trial should be over by now.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

So if they canceled OTA and went on a private training activity is it a PTA?

Bowling, now there is some good old fashion fun I tell ya. Nothing builds camaraderie and team spirit like a little ten pin action. I wonder if Zorn will buy them all an ice cream cone or something, provided of course they finish all their vegetables.

Hail.
I just hope no one pulls a hammy or takes a shot to the groin or anything.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 9, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

But 2 years is a violation of that right to a speedy and fair trial.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 9, 2009 8:51 PM

Hardly a violation of their rights since they're the ones who have requested the repeated delays.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 9, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

If I were them, I'd be hoping for as long a delay the case as long as possible, because that's better than serving time in jail.

Still the people in FL say that 2 year cases are par for the course for criminal cases.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 9, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

CL,, Dina of real housewives of new jersey...is soooooooooooooo friggin HOT!!! this has got to be the best real housewives!

Posted by: dealer1 | June 9, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Good to see you back dealer....Dina is very hot indeed I like her sister in law too....sort of a butter face, but great gazooms!

Posted by: chrislarry | June 9, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Report: ‘Skins Consider Vick, But Decide To Pass
Posted by Mike Florio on June 9, 2009, 11:26 p.m.
We’ve believed for a while now that the Washington Redskins could be interested in acquiring quarterback Mike Vick, especially since the Redskins were seriously contemplating alternatives to current starter Jason Campbell.

According to John Keim of the Washington Examiner, the ‘Skins “briefly discussed” the possibility, but ultimately decided not to pursue him.

And so we’ll add the Redskins to our Anti-Vick List — even though we still think there’s a chance that owner Dan Snyder’s at-times impulsive nature takes over, especially once Vick is reinstated.
====================================

Keim has sources.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Danny and Vinny are complete idiots...what in Michael Vick's game do you see that makes you think he can help the Skins? Unless you plan on keeping your O-line crappy and needing a QB to run for his life, Vick has NO business being in DC unless it's in the visitor's locker room.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 5:39 AM

Danny and Vinny agreed with you. They're not interested in Vick.

Usually the term "complete idiots" is reserved up here for someone you disagree with, not someone you agree with. If you agree with them you say stuff like "couldn't agree more with Danny and Vinny," "brilliant," or "we're all three geniuses."

So back off. Now that you agree with them on something, they can't be worse than partial idiots.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 5:53 AM | Report abuse

Right. It doesn't sound like they had any real serious talks about him. Especially since he is still, you know, suspended...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 6:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 6:13 AM |

This is what you have to do to generate Redskin "news" in June. "They talked briefly and did nothing."

Assuming they actually did talk about him, here's how the conversation went:

Vinny, "Vick's out of prison, Dan."

Dan, "So what? Your serve."

This allows the partial idiot Florio a chance to say "we think there's still a chance...."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Wow T_E...you just LOVE to argue, don't you? I maintain that ANYONE who has a substantive discussion regarding signing Michael Vick is a total moron. IF he's even reinstated (which is no lock), he's a QB with no accuracy, no pocket presense, and no readily apparent leadership skills. The only possible use you'd have for him is in the Wildcat and the Redskins are just about the only team in the league that refuses to run it. So yes...COMPLETE IDIOTS!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Wow T_E...you just LOVE to argue, don't you?

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 6:25 AM |

You don't even read what I write do you, brownwood? I wrote the other day (when you claimed that 6 of our 9 starting OL and DL were scrap heap guys that had been cut by other teams) that I don't like to argue with you.

I like to argue with beantowngreg. He can actually follow an argument and he's willing to let the facts get in his way. (Except when it comes to Antonio Pierce.)

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 6:49 AM

Apparently your reading comprehension skills could use a little work too...I didn't say you like to argue with me in particular, just argue in general. And I'm not rehashing that OL/DL argument, but your assessment went with guys who had been released and didn't count guys who reached FA and their teams made NO ATTEMPT to resign. In my book, that's a release that the team doesn't have to take a cap hit on.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Can't believe it's been 5 years since Ray Charles died! Wow, time flies...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Jackson said. "I want him to do what's best for him. At this time of year, that's what he has to do."

Now if Dirty Thirty position coach isn't really worried about him not being at OTA's why are some of you making such a big deal about it.

Posted by: jm220 | June 10, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I hear you JM. Rod Woodson said on NFLN a few days ago that OTAs are way overrated and that he rarely went as a player himself. Dude is a Hall of Famer. The only way I see OTAs as a big deal is if you're new to the team or if there's a new coaching staff in place trying to implement a new system. Otherwise it's like you and I skipping the company picnic.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Otherwise it's like you and I skipping the company picnic.

lol no doubt B. I am so ready for training camp to start.

Posted by: jm220 | June 10, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

"Yeah, but can you really define any of this stuff as "music"? Especially if you deconstruct the way Truth discusses the lyrics - it sounds like he's taking about poetry - which is all good...and while I like the comparison of Rap/Hip Hop to Jazz, at the same time, you can't really put even the best of this stuff up against some of the best music over time and say - "yeah, this compares as great music"

It's an art form, sure, but is it music?

Would people listen to the words without the beat? And the beat don't make make it great music.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston"

see my next post

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 10, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Now that all the smoke is gone (lighta)
And the battle’s finally won (gimme a lighta)
Victory is finally ours (lightas up)
History so long so long
so long, so long

In search of victory, she keeps saluting me
If only we can be together momentarily
We can make love, and make history
Why won’t you visit me
Until she visit me
I’ll be stuck with her sister, her name is defeat
She gives me agony, so much agony
She brings me so much pain, so much misery
Like missing your last shot, and falling to your knees
As the crowd screams, for the other team
I practiced so hard for this moment victory don’t leave
I know what this means, I’m stuck in this routine
Whole new different day, the same old thing
All I got is dreams, nobody else can see
Nobody else believes, nobody else but me
Where are you victory, I need you desperately
Not just for the moment
To make History

Now that all the smoke is gone (lighta)
And the battle’s finally won (lightas)
Victory is finally ours (yeah)
History so long so long (yeah)
(yeah) So long, so long

So now I’m flirting with death
Hustla like a cheat, while victory wasn’t watching
Took chances repeatedly
As a teenage boy, before acne
Before I got proactive, I couldn’t face sheet
I just threw on my hoodie and headed to the streets
I swear I met success, we lived together shortly
A success is like lust, which is good for the touch
Which is good for the moment, but she’s never enough
Everybody’s had her, she’s nothing like me
And success is all I got, unfortunately
But I’m burning down the block
I’ve been in it down defeat
But something tells me that there’s much more to see
Before I get killed, cuz I can’t get robbed
So before me, success and death monage
I gotta get lost,
I gotta find free
We gotta be together
To make History

Now that all the smoke is gone (lighters up)
And the battle finally rise (lighter up)
Victory’s finally ours (lighters up)
History so loved, so long
so long, so long…

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 10, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Now victory is mine, it taste so sweet
She’s my trophy wife, she commin with me
We have a baby who stutters’ repeatedly
We name him history
He repeats after me
He’s my legacy, son of my hard work
Future of my past, he’ll explain who I be
Rank me among the greats
Either 1 2 or 3, if I ain’t number one
Then I failed your victory
Ain’t in it for the fame, that dies in 10 weeks
Ain’t in it for the money, you can take it when you leave
I wanna be remembered long after you breath
Long after I’m gone, long after I breath
I leave all I am, in the hands of history
So this is my last will..and testimony
This is much more then a song
It’s a baby shower, I’ve been waiting for this hour
History your ours.

Now that all the smoke is gone
And the battle finally won
Victory’s finally ours
History so loved, so long
So long, so long

Now that all the smoke is gone
And the battle finally won
Victory’s finally ours
History so loved, so long
So long, so long

1) I tried to scan over it to correct some of the lyrics, but some of them might be a little off.

2) Yes, I would consider that poetry.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 10, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | June 10, 2009 7:48 AM |

Because what is best for him is to be at OTAs. Jackson knows that, Zorn knows that, the whole team knows that. Landry hasn't done anything yet, and he needs to take advantage of every chance to get better as an NFL safety.

It's like Sean Taylor said before his last (and best) season:

"...you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that.'"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

"The men accused of killing Sean Taylor were back in a Miami courtroom today,..."

Notes from Judge Moe Brown:

Substitute 'clueless monkeys' for the word 'men,' please.

Men don't shoot an unarmed man in the bedroom of his home all because of a small amount of money.

Men don't go to a birthday party and turn it into an opportunity to plan a petty crime.

Men who have the chance to come into contact with a professional athlete on a social level, appreciate the encounter and are gracious in the face of wealth and celebrity.

The people 'accused' of killing Sean Taylor meet none of these perogatives.

The people 'accused' of killing Sean Taylor are what happens when stupidity meets opportunity.

And I can see the defense attorney now, trying to tie in the fact that the defendants had, what, a 'tough childhood' or 'ADD' or 'were the end products of a poor education system'.

Please.

Most of the dudes playing pro sports could make the same claims, except they chose to make money rather than to take money.

And a man's life.

Throw the freakin' book at them.

Case dismissed!!

(INSERT image of a baileff shouting, "All rise!" as Judge Moe Brown leaves the bench, gavel in hand, Redskins' jersey #21 mounted onto the wal of his courtroom.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

moe, agreed, labeling them as men, is completely off base. More accurate would be lazy cowards...makes my stomach turn..

Yanks will take tonights game, wakefield is hot and cold, and you guys are due...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 10, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Great post, Moe. 100% agree with that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe great post, however as a blackman you really need to drop "monkeys".

Posted by: jm220 | June 10, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

T_E
My bad I thought I had read that the delay was caused by the State/DA or whoever.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Nice work, Moe.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody kow anything about our new area scout Bill Baker? What area, college or pro, what're his credentials?

Posted by: MrChili | June 10, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

TE does love to argue, although that is certainly no character flaw. His "right ratio" hovers around 50%.....like he was right about the length of trial delay not being a violation of the rights of the accused and borderline Tard on his OTA/Landry take.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 10, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

borderline Tard on his OTA/Landry take.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 10, 2009 9:20 AM |

At least I made it back to the borderline. That's a good day for me.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Brothers f'n brothers...I think of this scene when I think of Taylor...

Posted by: BigDeck | June 10, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Now that the henious crime has passed.
I think the best step is for these teenagers is to admit what they did, irregardless of their upbringing.

Then, they should talk to an experinced pshycologist and persons that grew up in their 'hood who have made the wrong mistakes like they have, but have now did their time and are contributing to mankind. And during this time, they need to show how many lives they affected, person by person.

Such as his step-sister who were friends of theirs and probably has a large sharp pain in her heart due to her blaming herself. His parents for losing a child they spent 20plus years of investing their time and nuturing him. His mother who birthed him. All of his close extended family. The murderer's family, which includes 5 sets of parents who are hurt deep inside due to (1) their child was involved in murder and (2) their child F'd up thier life badly and will be the youngest group of prisoners in an Adult Jail. And they all have seen Jail movies....

Now, after that, they need to be told the can raise above this only, and ONLY if they are truly remorseful. After they show true remorse, give them their sentence and hope they learned a valuable lesson when it's time for their parole hearing. See what they say. Hopefully they want to get out and help contribute to the youngsters that grew up in their neighborhood and tll them they don't want to go down their same path.

At the end, hopefully addtional lives can be spared due to this tragic incident.

Sean Taylor is just one of thousands of black men that are murdered everyday in the USA. This murder should be held up to all to say stop it right now. Can anyone find anygood from this intention of murder or any other kind of murder.

Last week, a 1/4 mile from my house, a 19 yr old girl was shot in a drive by in a townhome community. She was at a high school graduation party. There was a fight earlier during the commencement address, and that was the reason for the drive by at the party. This young lady has a 1 1/2 yr old daughter who is now motherless. She wasn't even the target. What was the intention of the killer. If someone had gotten to him before this, someone could have instilled that question in his psyhce (sp?). And maybe he would have thought twice before pulling that trigger......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Daddy's car in the woods......

Little Johnny watched his daddy's car pass by the school playground and go into the woods. Curious, he followed the car and saw daddy and Aunt Jane in a passionate embrace.

Little Johnny found this so exciting that he could hardly contain himself as he ran home and started to tell his mother.

Mommy, I was at the playground and I saw Daddy's car go into the woods with Aunt

Jane. I went back to look and he was giving Aunt Jane a big kiss, and then he helped

her take off her shirt. Then Aunt Jane helped Daddy take his pants off, then Aunt Jane...'

At this point Mommy cut him off and said, 'Johnny, this is such an interesting story, suppose you save the rest of it for supper time. I want to see the look on Daddy's face

when you tell it tonight.'

At the dinner table that evening, Mommy asked little Johnny to tell his story. Johnny started his story, 'I was at the Playground and I saw Daddy's car go into the woods

with aunt Jane. I went back to look and he was giving Aunt Jane a big kiss, then he helped her take off her shirt. Then Aunt Jane helped Daddy take his pants off, then Aunt Jane and Daddy started doing the same thing that Mommy and Uncle Bill used to do when Daddy was in the Army.'

Mommy fainted!

Moral of the story: Sometimes you need to listen to the whole story before you interrupt!

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | June 10, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

They had to kill him, couldn't have another "Hammer" lawsuit for paralyzing T.O. with his vicious hitting style..Hits so hard he could kill..Got those plea bargain boys in Ft. Myers, send them,..Best wishes, cooley's mom, son will be bringing home a trainful of trees shortly..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm somwhere in between JM220 and TE on the Landry situation (insert 70's jazz music)

His absence, while conspicuous, won't hurt the team that much. He knows his job and his teammates have played with him enough to know that he'll be there to cover for their mistakes.

And as far as not returning calls, if my boss called me in for some voluntary training during my vacation, I probably wouldn't be too quick to call him back either.

That said, there are a lot of guys who look up thim as leader on the team and he's not doing himself any favors there.

It would be best if he were there but as long as he's ready for the season, I'd be cool with it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 10, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"....however as a blackman you really need to drop "monkeys"."

Sorry, I'm not politically correct.

If a pile of doo-doo stinks, well, I'll be the first to say, "Hey, make sure you don't step in that steaming load of sh!t."

Calling it 'excrement' would take away the power of the warning.

Too, I'm not the sort of person who sees 'monkeys' and 'black folk' in the same mind frame.

If people do, that's their thing, and anyone who has that kind of hang up, would look down on black/brown folks regardless if 'monkey' or any other word is used.

Besides, if you watch the Discovery Channel, you see that monkeys are actually very clever, resourceful, and do their best work in highly socialize communities.

I would think, if any of them could talk, they'd take offense at being compared to black folk or any other kind of folk as no monkey has ever perpetuated the Holocaust, paid for $3.00 gas, or looked at porn at work.

Not that monkeys have jobs.

That's another advantage they have over us.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Great points 4th. That is so sad about the young girl. I will be heading to Maryland tonight for my daughter graduation.

Posted by: jm220 | June 10, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Not that monkeys have jobs.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2009 9:48 AM

Except for the organ grinder's monkey who had to wear that stupid uniform to work every day and probably didn't even earn the minimum wage. Anyone even seen an organ grinder since about 1953? I think the monkeys formed a union and put the grinders out of business.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 10, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

bean

"...wakefield is hot and cold"

Wakefield is an enigma for the Yanks as much as Chien Ming Wang has been ineffective.

And we all no that if Wang is ineffective, well, it's not a good experience for all involved.

(INSERT teenage snicker)

The Sox have the Yanks number for the moment. Thing is, one team will enter the playoffs as a Wild Card: and home field is really what they're playing for.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

bean

"...wakefield is hot and cold"

(INSERT teenage snicker)

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Warren Zevon did the best lyrics, Excitable Boy, Lawyers Guns & Money

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 10, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Idea: Put both of those a**holes in a windowless room with the entire team. I think that would be fair

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 10, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

You're on a roll today, Moe! Keep up the good work!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 10, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

moe, again, agreed. It was good to see Ortiz turn on a Burnett fastball last night, however, he also missed two other pitches, that were right in his hammer zone, so I'm still not convinced his issues are done with. Beckett seems to have turned his season around. When he's on, he's top 5 pitchers in MLB.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 10, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

LMAO! OK I have to admit MistaMoe that one made me laugh. As I stated before other than I thought you was on point.

Posted by: jm220 | June 10, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Nice JM220. High, Middle, or Elementary School? Congrats to her!

Yo, if you get the chance, hit me up if you're down here for a while....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Agreed Noone...I view Lawyers, Guns & Money as poetry as well...

Have you ever heard GG Allen's version of "Carmalita"? Brilliant....

Posted by: chrislarry | June 10, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

from high school. I sure will.

Posted by: jm220 | June 10, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

So training camp opens July 30....anyone know if there are any more mini-camps between now and then? If Landry misses a mini-camp it becomes an issue.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 10, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Congrats on the Grad JM220, when you look at national HS graduation rates, getting a youth to that point is no small accomplishment.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 10, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

jm congrats, you must be proud.

what are her plans going forward...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 10, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

What high school?

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Thanks guys. I hope you are sitting down for this one 4th. Central High School (lol I know that was wrong but the black/silver of the nights will always hate Central)

Posted by: jm220 | June 10, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 10, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for punishment where it is due, and admittingly I haven't kept up with the specifics in the case because it bothers me to read.

But throwing the book at all of them, based on my understanding of the situation, might be unfair. Were they all armed? Wasn't only one of them responsible for killing Sean Taylor, and the others claim they weren't aware of it?

Say Person A believed they were walking into an empty house just to take some stuff, and he had no gun or weapon and thought everybody else was weaponless as well. Would it be fair to say Person A should get the same sentence as the guy who had the gun and killed him, even though he didn't know?

I'm not saying one way or the other, I don't know the answer to that.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 10, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

You cannot have justice without the truth. :)

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Truth - You need to watch more of the 'First 48' and all of your questions will be answered. They should all be subject to 1st Degree murder. Including the driver who wasn't in the house.

Then the prosecutors looks to see what charge has the highest probability of conviction and they go for it.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 10, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"Warren Zevon did the best lyrics, Excitable Boy, Lawyers Guns & Money

Posted by: noonefromtampa "

and don't forget "Hit Somebody!" with David Letterman!

Warren Zevon was classic!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 10, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

a great youtube video is the monkey Vs. the tigers (or is it lions?)

he swings around and keeps pinching them and crap, and they can't eff with the monkey

Monkeys and penguins > all

FACE IT

Posted by: TheTruth11 | June 10, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"Karina Oakley of Guildford, Surrey, near London, has an IQ of 160 — the same as physics professor Stephen Hawking and Microsoft founder Bill Gates, London's Daily Mail reports.

"She has a very good memory," her mother, Charlotte Fraser, told the Mail. "She seems to be quite aware of her surroundings, what's going on around her, she's very observant, she talks all the time, asks questions all the time."

Intrigued by her daughter's exceptional language and memory abilities, Fraser had her tested after seeing a TV show about child prodigies.

"During the test it was noted that she gave imaginative responses to questions," When Prof. Joan Freeman, a child-psychology expert, administered the classic Stanford-Binet IQ test to the little girl, she noted imaginative responses, the Mail reports.

"What do you use your eyes for?" brought the answer, "You close them when you go to sleep" and "You put your contact lenses in them."