Texans' Foster makes his own opportunity - and it's paying off

At times, running back Arian Foster wondered whether he would have an NFL career.

"I'll be lying if I said that didn't cross my mind," Foster said in a conference call with reporters Tuesday afternoon.

But Foster made it to the NFL with the Houston Texans, and it appears he could stay a while after rushing for 231 yards in a season-opening victory over the Indianapolis Colts. The second-year player's strong running helped the Texans hold off the Colts, 34-24, despite Peyton Manning's 433-yard, three-touchdown performance.

Not bad for a former undrafted rookie free agent. And the Redskins, who play host to the Texans on Sunday at FedEx Field, undoubtedly will focus on trying to slow down the unheralded back.

"I really didn't know that much about the NFL draft process," said Foster, who went undrafted in 2009. "I knew that if you didn't get drafted, you didn't get drafted and that was it. Then I started researching it when everything transpired and I found out there was a lot of great players in this league that went undrafted. So, I decided to go to work and I decided to be one of those guys."

Foster signed with the Texans after the 2009 draft and was a backup last season. In six games, including one start, he rushed for 257 yards -- with a 4.8-yard average -- and three touchdowns.

In Week 1 against the Colts, Foster had a 7.0-yard average on 33 rushes and scored three touchdowns. Although Foster has confidence in his ability, "you can't really come into a game thinking you're going to get X amount of yards.

"You have to have a good game plan in place. We really didn't have a set amount of yards you want to get on a team. You don't want to go into a game thinking individually like that."

Foster rushed for 2,964 yards -- with a 4.6-yard average -- and 23 touchdowns during his four seasons at the University of Tennessee. Still, every team passed on him in the draft. He believes he is proving he deserves to be in the league.

"I like to think of myself as a cerebral player," Foster said. "I had different offensive coordinators in college, and every time I learn a different offense, I like to learn the whole concept. I like to learn the 'why' I was doing what I was doing instead of being a drone out there. I think that slowed the game down eventually for me. I started to learn what defenses were doing and why they were doing it.

"I think that translated to the professional level. We had a pretty complex scheme in college as far as pass protection. I think that's what my comfort level comes from that I know what's going on for the most part. I know why teams are doing what they're doing. I think that's what it comes from."

Foster is focused on team goals this week against the Redskins.

"Go out there and get this win. That's the most important thing," Foster said. "I just want to take baby steps. You can't win the Super Bowl without them. We will just go out there and play football."

And what about the Redskins offense? How concerned should fans be after last week's struggles? Share your thoughts in the Redskins Tailgate Zone

By Jason Reid  |  September 15, 2010; 6:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NFL, Redskins condemn Clinton Portis comments
Next: Redskins-Texans coaching ties will help both teams

Comments

Hopefully, we can pull this game out and run it up against the Rams the week after. No reason why we can't be 3-0 heading into the Philly game...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

Totally agree RSH.

I'm sure someone's touched on this already, but how much do we love the gold pants with the burgundy jerseys? Friggin' sweet. I'll never understand why we ever got away from that combo but I hope it's here to stay. Even though that game was ugly, we sure looked good playing it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 6:16 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 6:22 AM | Report abuse

hope you are right brownwood,

I thought our rush defense was rather weak. The 3-4 D requires special LB play and I'm still not convinced we have those.

Still game 2 in the NFL will be worlds different for all teams as they make adjustments. Happy real football people are in charge again.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 15, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

I like the throw backs...Old school I guess. I'm probably with the few but I'd like to see more of it.

Posted by: joe_king | September 15, 2010 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Certainly the attorneys for the NFL and the Jets have advised their respective clients there's no legal protection against sexual harassment complaints in such areas. So the league and the clubs are going to condemn any situation that suggests it happened. So when somebody around here asks why the NFL is being PC, there's an obvious answer -- to protect themselves in court.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 15, 2010 7:08 AM

If there's really a story here -- and we won't know until the NFL concludes its investigation -- then it's not about the victim but about the perpetrators. NFL players know what standards of conduct are expected when there are female reporters in the locker room and they all seem able to meet those standards. All except Rex Ryan's Soon-to-be Super Bowl Champion Jets. The real story (if there is one) will be about what happens when you let an out-of-control baffoon run an NFL franchise.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 15, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

The guy had a great game against a terrible run defense without Bob Sanders, he's a good back but not better then the backs we faced last week.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 15, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Totally agree RSH.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 6:16 AM

Hey brown,

When we last had those uniforms we had the likes of Kilmer and Jurgenson modeling them. That's the only reason I can think of the change. Burgundy at home is also welcome, as Dallas can play all of their games looking like MR. Clean.

Posted by: hessone | September 15, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

I cringe at the thought of an Out of control buffoon running an organization…Damn, brings back bad memories.

Posted by: joe_king | September 15, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Hess, love the old school guys like Sonny but I wanna see the gold pants less because of who wore them and more because it just looks good and makes sense. Those are our colors...burgundy and gold. Gold should factor in more than just trim on the sleeve, it should work into the entire uniform. White pants is just an epically lame idea that at best has been outdated for about 20 years.

Burgundy and gold is beautiful. Accentuate the positive with the unis and we'll probably do the same on the field.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

So you are saying you don't think Foster is going to rush for 56 yards? I will take that bet.

I just don't see the run defense being all that great this year. Fat Al mailing it in leaves no inside presence which is going to hurt. Maake is not getting it done. The key to the 3-4 is having someone in the middle that will protect the LBs. Foster is a big back that is going to wear down the defense. Unless the Redskins get up big early Foster will get his yards.

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 15, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Looks like we could get some WR help after all:

Stokley gone in Denver
Posted by Mike Florio on September 15, 2010 6:39 AM ET
On September 4, the Broncos placed veteran receiver Brandon Stokley on injured reserve.

Ten days later, the Broncos cut him loose.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reported on Tuesday that the Broncos reached an injury settlement with Stokley, released him from injured reserve. It means that the two sides have agreed on the amount of time that will be required for Stokley to get healthy, and that he'll be paid to cover that period of time.

It means that Stokley now can sign with another team, if/when he's healthy.

An 11-year veteran, Stokley owns two Super Bowl rings from his time with the Ravens (in 2000) and the Colts (in 2006).

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 15, 2010 7:46 AM

Fair enough...the D isn't dominant but it's not putrid either. Foster won't go for 200 yards again and I'd be somewhat surprised to see him go over 100.

You have to bear one thing in mind about the Texans...they built that team to beat the Colts. They want to match up well against those Tampa 2 style defenses that feature smallish but quick lineman. The other teams in that division run somewhat similar defenses (or at least they all run a 4-3). Whatever we lack in skill in our front 7, we certainly don't lack size and I think we'll match up against their O-line better than Indy did.

Not saying we'll shut down the run, but I'd be stunned to see us get gashed like Indy did. If we can get our rushing attack on track and keep their offense off the field, it's a lock they won't.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Loved the uniforms. Wish they would put the spear on the helmet like they did in 02 I think it was. I know its even older but I forget how old. Foster is good but I'm real affraid of what Andre will do to us. If Miles Friggin Austin ripped us, what do you think the best WR in football will do?

Posted by: FedorEm | September 15, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

You guys are spot on, those burgundy jerseys and gold pants were awesome, but I'd like to see burgundy pants and gold jerseys, not sure what color the numbers would be though, white or burgundy.

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

flound, agreed, Barber/Jones/Choice thats a pretty good test of a defense...I think Haz dials it up this week...some of the stuff he ran last week reminded me of what BBelichick does up here in NE...No D-linemen on the line...stuff like that....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 15, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | September 15, 2010 8:15 AM

Now THAT is a valid concern. Fretting about a guy who (to date) is a one-hit wonder like Foster is worrying for the sake of worrying, IMO. We've seen the Arian Foster story before in Houston...his name is Steve Slaton and he's currently their backup, not the next Barry Sanders.

I'm with you on the unis...although I love the spear helmet, I love our regular helmet more. Plus the spear helmets have grey facemasks which kinda clashes with the burgundy and gold theme, IMO. The unis from Sunday are the perfect compromise...you get the customary helmet and jersey but the throwback pants and socks. It's all burgundy and gold, using white only as trim. Absolutely beautiful...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Pick your poison:

A Foster

or

A Johnson

Tough call, I'd say.

These guys let the Texans play ball control or 'go for the throat' style offensive.

Me?: like with M Austin, I'd do whatever to make sure A Johnson gets his catches, but is keep out of the end zone.

A killer running game will kill before a dominant passing game will.

And so, I'll let the Big Johnson swing free and play run defense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 15, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 7:44 AM |

brown, I like the arrow head or spear emblem on the helmets also. I'm thinking the gold pants will look good with white jerseys.

We all have commented on CP's running style. On his longest run from scrimmage against the Cowboy's, I thought if he didn't fall forward he'd still be running the ball. I'll say it as a fan that is concerned, and not critisizing him, but the dude falls down when he should keep his legs under him and run the freaking ball.

Posted by: hessone | September 15, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I think you put Hall on Johnson, and roll Landry over the top of that...on offense, I'd run at MWilliams, put an extra offensive linemen on the line, to wear his stuff out...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 15, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Good point about gray facemasks, why do people still have them? Like the Gints and Colts, they are ugly....of course, anything about the Gints is ugly, like their new stadium....

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

One last word about this Ines Sainz bullsh*t:

The people saying who are defending this Ines Sainz chick... hilarious!

And to defend her style of dress in the male's locker room... even more hilarious!

I don't know about most of your but I work in an office environment. There is this chick here who once got sent home because she was revealing too much cleavage. (And believe me she was getting more than her fair share of attention from the male staff) Basically the message management and HR was trying to send to her that she wasn't DRESSED IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER! And then people want to claim that this so called "professional" was just trying to do her job?

Please, stop it. Seriously. If you wear tight and revealing clothes IN AN NFL locker room. You're going to get some "unwanted" attention. Someone is either going to "undress you with their eyes" or make sexually suggestive comments. You can't tell me that she didn't know this or wasn't expecting it.

Oh, what the fu_k do I know anyway? No, she's not an attention seeker. She didn't don a wedding dress and claimed that she's marrying Tom Brady (she did). She didn't have football players carrying her in their arms (she did). She doesn't dress that way all the time (she does). She didn't go out and get tit implants (she did).

And scamp1975, she did take offense over the situation. BEFORE the NFL or even Jets management knew what happened. Via Yahoo:

"While she was in the locker room, per the Star-Ledger, Sainz wrote on her Twitter account, "I'm dying of embarrassment," and that she "would like to cover my ears," per a translation from Spanish to English."

So she was obviously offended. I just find it funny that she'll get on Twitter as the remarks are being made to tell the world about this grave injustice.

This is a non-story. An attractive female, no doubt. Incredible ass, BTW... but since I think this is an overall smart woman, I won't call this naiveness on her part. Just some attention seeking "look at me" "journalist" wanting some attention.

Congrats, Ms. Sainz. You got it. Enjoy your 15 minutes.

Bring on the Texans! Finding it... (you guessed it)hilarious that everyone is crowning the Arian Foster kid after one game. Yeah he ran for over 200 yards, but that was against the suspect run defense of the Indy Colts. As shaky as the 'skins looked in run defense Sunday night, I think they're better than Indy in defending the run.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

The new uniforms have been an overwhelming success, the only people who I hear don't like it are bamas who loved the all burgundy look and want the team to wear black jerseys.

The new look's here to stay. Embrace it.

I hope our away uniforms have a steady mix of white, burgundy and gold pants. Maybe some kind of system, White for away games non-division, burgundy for away games in the division, gold for prime time away games.

Regarding what we should do with the Texans. Our D is better overall than the Colt's D, due to that teams cheap style of management, and I think the Texans will adjust their game plan to what we do and vice versa.

Expect the Texans to run at us more. Expect the skins to throw more than they did last week.

Not gonna predict a score but both teams should get into that mid-20 point range.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

I think Foster will be around 100 yards. That does not mean that the defense is not playing well. He will probably rush 25+ times. I agree that he is not going to gash the d for 200. The Texans will probably have a top 10 offense this year. This will be a stiff test for the defense. I don't think it is putrid but it is going to be a bit vulnerable to the run this year.

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 15, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

The Texans looked great against Indy, but they didn't look much like the Texans.

Here's why I say that: Houston was the NFL's passing leader last season, and generated only 98 yards through the air against the Colts. They finished 30th in rushing in '09, averaging 92 yards a game, yet on Sunday they ran up 257 on the ground, with 15 first downs.

So now they come to Washington. Do they stick with this radically changed strategy, or do they revert? I say we can't learn much from that first game.

The NFL's passing leaders produced a paltry 7 first downs by passing, versus 15 via the run? That had to reflect the game plan rather than simple talent.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 14, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm scared of the Texans.

When Indy is controlling the game, they are the ones who typically jump out to early leads, force the other team to throw the ball, and play to their defensive strength which is pass-rushing.

The Texans totally flipped the equation.

They got up early on Colts and then went to the run. The issue is not that the passing game wasn't working, the issue is that they got the lead and then did what smart, competent, well-balanced teams do - exploit the lead and exploit the opposing team's weakness.

Schaub didn't have a "down" game because Indy defended well. Schaub simply didn't throw alot b/c he didn't have to. True that Indy is not known for stout run D, but racking up 231 rushing yards against any professional team means you can run the ball.

The Cowpies ran on us. They averaged 4.7 ypc. Thanks to the ineptitude of Wade Phillips, though, the 'Girls decided to let Romo throw 47 times in what was a low-scoring game, particularly down the stretch.

Since Kubiak doesn't have his head up Jerry Jones' backside like Wade, I imagine the Skins will get a heavy dose of "whatever is working" be it pass or run.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

"Not saying we'll shut down the run, but I'd be stunned to see us get gashed like Indy did."

I'd play to stop the run and control Johnson.

But, in reverse, we should play two-tight, more power formations, and turn the game into an old skool NFC style smashmouth funfest.

I'd rather try to win 17-13, than lose 38-27.

We can't win looking pretty, so let's just play ugly.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 15, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 8:17 AM

This would be every bit as epically awful as when the Bears go to those hideous orange jerseys. And wearing gold jerseys, what color would the opponent's jersey be? You'd run up against the same crap the NBA deals with when the Lakers wear gold in lieu of white.

No thanks, dude...burgundy jerseys and gold pants works. Don't mess with a good thing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Poor Jason Reid, even the Post is spelling his name wrong (front page).

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 15, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Andre Johnson is one hell of a deep threat WR, but as long as we pressure Schaub like we did Romo, Johnson will have to settle for the short and immediate routes like Austin did. Austin gashed us but we didn't give up the "big" play other than the blown assignment on that last drive. I think we'll hold Andre in check. He may have 100+ receiving yards but if we keep him out of the endzone, I'll take that all day. Not to mention Kyle S. should have some advice for our DB's.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 15, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

"I think you put Hall on Johnson, and roll Landry over the top of that" - Beans

Why when you have a physical CB in Carlos Rogers?

I'll give 'Los credit for this: When he's matched up against taller and stronger corners for the most part he holds his own. Besides when Andre Johnson catches the ball, since 'Los is the better tackler between him and Hall, you'd rather have 'Los on him.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

We can't win looking pretty, so let's just play ugly.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 15, 2010 8:36 AM |

Drink enough beer and playing ugly and winning is as good looking as an ugly chick at last call. It's a win/ win situation, until you wake up and roll over the next morning, sinus breath included. I'll take an ugly win, I think !

Posted by: hessone | September 15, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Foster is not a scat-back, bro.

He's 6'1' 227 who follows his leads, hits holes and runs downhill with power and purpose. He didn't juke his way to 231 yards. The Oline was blowing Indy up.

The 'Paddies averaged 4.7 ypc carry against us.

If we cannot get more mileage out of our running game on Sunday, I fear that it is going to be a very very long day for us. Because we can't rely on Cowdung choke-artistry to help us out.

The thing that may go in our favor, though, is that the Texans play a "let-down" game. Those guys were sicing all offseason to get ready for Indy - a team that has owned them their whole existence. Now that the wad has been blown, maybe we catch them at a good moment.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Red, when are you going to get over the fact that Hall missed the tackle on Delhomme last year?? MOVE ON!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 15, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we start with Los on Johnson, and keep him there as long as he can lock the guy down.

How many times did the Cowboys throw at a WR Rogers was covering? Anyone track that kind of thing? I feel like they ended up targeting De-Hall all night.

If you can hold down Aj with Los do it. Let Hall cover the other WR and risk yards for picks.

If Los starts to falter in his coverage, then you put Hall on AJ and just tell him to play for Int's as best he can, bracket coverage with a safety and hold on to your ---es

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | September 15, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 15, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

If you plan on pressuring Schaub with the blitz, then I think you want Hall on AJ, because you want a guy who is going to punish a forced throw/QB mistake.

If you plan on playing the Texans straight up, I think you want Los to jam him on the line and make darn sure that you've got a safety cheating over to help deep.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 8:42 AM

That's why I think we win...they're going to come down hard after their Super Bowl last week. I just hope we have enough to take advantage.

Plus o_b makes a good point on Kyle Shanahan...he knows their personnel inside and out. That should go a long way toward neutralizing (or at least containing) some of their key offensive players.

I know there's a lot of Shanahan's Denver guys in Houston now, but I think we hold the advantage since they won't know our personnel as well as we'll know theirs. Plus we have the teacher (Shanahan) while they count on the pupil (Kubiak). If we can make a couple plays on defense and if the offense holds up its end of the bargain, we should be able to pull this one out.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Thank god its back to football talk and not a bunch of Cowboy fans talking S in here. THANK YOU LORD.

Posted by: FedorEm | September 15, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Well lets face it the coaches are probably not gonna do 1 thing all game anyway. I hope we see them constantly changing up who is doing what to make the Texans mess up.

What would really help is if this week the Offence starts controlling the clock more.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

fedor, applying logic here, cement thumbs has had the same problem for the past 6 years...its very obvious that he doesn't put in the work as far as improving his ability to catch the ball, either that or he literally has hands that are made of cement....if Rod Gardner was 50/50, then los would be what, 1/99....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 15, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

"The Oline was blowing Indy up."

Yes, but that was Indy. The Colts haven't been known as a good run defense team for a little while now.

You're a stats guy, p1. Go look at where they've ranked for the last few seasons in run defense. They've sucked. 'Skins look vulnerable against the run, but I think they'll fair better than the Colts. Don't ask why, I just do.

Beans, there was also that one time where Hall missed that one tackle in that one game last season.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 15, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

We should fear Foster more. I chose him for a couple reasons. First, I saw some highlights of that Texans/Colts game, their Oline dominated the Colts Dline. The zone blocking scheme was working like a charm, they were moved left, right, backwards, even in the ground, I mean it wasn't even close. If we gave up 4.7 ypr to the Cowpies, I'm afraid they'll match that or better. Our run defense sucks right now, and they could move us around like that. If they get a lead in the 4th quarter they're gonna jam it down our throats and eat the clock. I just don't have a lot of faith in our being able to stop the run. I'm not crowning Foster after one game, but dude didn't just have a good day, he almost had a record setting day. Lots of people say, 'oh, the colts D sucks', and 'they didn't have Sanders', but do you realized how much 231 yards is??? There are tons of fly-by-night backs in this league that do good at first and fizzle out and none of them had over 200 yards in a game. We shouldn't just overlook Foster, him being paired with their Oline is dangerous.
Second, even though Andre Johnson is the best WR in the league, I think our secondary is one of the best in the league, and if we can keep him locked under our zone and not break any big plays, we should be able to nullify their passing attack. Bend but don't break, that should be our defensive philosphy all year.
We've gotta keep them in the low 20's, any more and I don't think we match that.

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Two teams with coaches that have worked together for years, who run the same system. Now this is a CHESS MATCH.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

"Betcha Foster doesn't get even a quarter of that total against our FIRST team defense."

100% agree.

While I'm happy for the guy, the Skins defense is MUCH better then the Colts. I watched a lot of games this preseason and the Colts sucked on defense the entire time.

The NFL channel was just gushing about the Redskins defense and how good they were against the Cowgirls, and it was confirmed on thier show "Playbook." They have a hole or two, most importantly Reed Doughty and his lack of speed, but otherwise they played a solid game.

This goes back to what I said last year about Blache's archaic scheme's and the Redskins having the talent just not the coaching.

But they can't stay on the field the whole game and the offense needs to pull thier weight.

Maybe the Texans will trade us Slaton. :P

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 15, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 8:30 AM |

So if a woman shows up at work dressed like a stripper I can act like I'm at a strip club? And so can all the other guys in the office? And we won't get reprimanded or fired because it's her fault? Come on Red.

Posted by: mack1 | September 15, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

"The Oline was blowing Indy up."

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Indy's not a run-stopping team. But anytime someone posts 230+ on a pro football team - any pro football team - they can run the ball. Period.

I know you hope/think the Skins will fare better, so do I.

I know why you hope/think that - because that girl that an objective observer might say is ugly is your girl, so you always see the best with rosy colored glasses on.

And so do I.

That ugly girl trying to stop the run on Sunday was my girl too.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

alex, for that reason it should be a really good game indeed! Look forward to this one almost as much as the game this past Sunday.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

biggest concern to me, is play action, and reed biting hard when looking into the backfield....really wish they had a better option than RD...Moore can't come back quick enough...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 15, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"Do you think Carlos Rogers does extra catching drills in practice? Just sayin :)"

There's so many things I want to say here but I think they've all been said before. :)

Maybe he's actually cross eyed and needs new contacts or something. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 15, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm

Apparently not, did you see that fly ball he dropped at the end of the game? Looked like my 2 year old son trying to catch a ball.

Los needs to start visualizing the ball as Ines Sainz's ass. Maybe then he'll catch it.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 15, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

oh_boy1:
"Johnson will have to settle for the short and immediate routes like Austin did."

p1funk:

Two excellent analysis here about just how to control a dominant wide receiver:

Let him get his catches, but don't let him score.

And because you've devoted a safety over the top to help with that cause, you can still thwart the run with stellar and stunt run support up front.

Too, like with the cowboys' came, you can also control O Daniels--a very good tight end like J Witten--and thus, remove the secondary option that would force the FS or SS to give up help with the WR.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 15, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"Ugly girl trying to stop the run" Classic imagery!

I haven't seen us be all that great against the run and we've had established problems closing the deal from the red zone. Not a good combination going into this weekend.

That being said - why the SJK are we running a pro-Texans post on RI?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 15, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I am a 40 year Redskin fan - since 1970....

But I now live in Houston.

If the Skins D-Line does that standing up stuff this Sunday they will get blown out of the stadium.

The Texans O-Line completely crushed the Colts D-Line.

I love my Skins, but my $$$ is on the Texans....

Posted by: oldnova | September 15, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 8:17 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? Those gold jerseys would pop, especially during night games, and should not be compared with that puke orange the Bears or Dolphins wear. If they gave it a chance, you'd see.
And don't mess with a good thing? Apparently it wasn't a good thing at one point, seeing as how we had to dig it up after it was buried almost 30 years ago. I did like the look the other night, those gold pants and socks were hot, but I'd still like them to at least try for 1 game the gold jerseys, anybody else with me????

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I drafted this beast in 2 fantasy league baby!!! But hope he lays an egg this week...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 15, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"The Texans O-Line completely crushed the Colts D-Line."

The skins' D line is much heavier than the Colts.

But your point is well made.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 15, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Monk. I am against the gold jersey. Too Practice jersey for me. Like when the Giants wear red jerseys they look like they are sayin' "don't hit me"

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I was pretty drunk by the end of the game and had to have the highlights remind me that C Rogers could have ended the game if he could catch….oh well, he played well otherwise. Not sure if I would put him or hall on A Johnson. I see Haslett sticking to his scheme and letting whoever he lines up against cover him (with help). Should be a good game, but we are going to need to be able to put up at least 20 pts this week.

Love the gold pants. Hope they use them with the white jerseys as well. Gonna look sharp this year.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 15, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

game being replayed on NFL Network at 9:15 tonight....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 15, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Gints say 'don't hit me' anyway without the red jerseys cause they are soft. Funny analogy though. I still think they'd be cool, looked cool on Madden.

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 9:25 AM

You can see them on our QB’s if you look through any of the training camp photos…..they are always wearing them with burgundy shorts, not real football pants. It doesn’t look THAT bad, but I’m not a fan…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 15, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Gold jerseys?

No thanks... Czabe read one emailer asking about an all gold uni. Gold jerseys, gold pants.

What do they want? 14 karat 'skins? That's too much gold.... OG'd. Over-gold.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 8:17 AM

-------------------------------------------
monk811..i've been a skins fan for a long time and i've never seen the gold jerseys..have we worn those before? or are you being creative?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 15, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

All jerseys look cool in Madden, its color keying is always off because its an animation.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

What do they want? 14 karat 'skins? That's too much gold.... OG'd. Over-gold.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 9:33 AM

And how would they go to the bathroom with all that sh-t on?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 15, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, man, that girl was one serious hot tamale and if she was new to the lockerroom, guerre-on-tee to put some twang in the banjar..."Smells like entrapment" said Jonah to the whale..

Posted by: frak | September 15, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

What do they want? 14 karat 'skins? That's too much gold.... OG'd. Over-gold.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and the all burgundy wasn't too much burgundy??? Please, they look like the people did in Predator after he ripped their skin off, that's too much if anything.
It wouldn't be exactly like the training camp ones, you could jazz it up some.
No, they have not worn gold jerseys before, but I did use it for a while on Madden. Maybe the color on there is a little off, still looked hot to me.

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I like the gold bling, they should put more shiny gold like UCLA's uniforms even..Goes with the salaries..

Posted by: frak | September 15, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Foster's fan club should be called The Arian Nation.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 15, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

honestly, couldn't care less about the uniform scheme....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 15, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Gold jerseys = Denim shirts.

They seem like a good idea until you see somebody wearing one.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 15, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Sainz looks like she got her implants done at the Boob Jobbery. $14, no appointment necessary. Big butt yes, big budget, apparently not.

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 15, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

our run D was shaky last week, but I think we adjust and recover this week. we definitely have some playmakers on this D. if we stay healthy and play at a high level this D will be fearsome. think about it, Austin was the Cowcoys only weapon when it counted. the big question is can the offense produce enough to keep us in it late in the game? if we can do that we give ourselves the best chance of winning. I don't know which side has any advantage, Kubiak was Shannys number one padawan, but lil shanny was Kubiaks top play caller. I don't wanna call it but if we have to lose two afc south games I think this is one, Jax the other. but Houston is gonna be beast this year and i think Peyton isn't dead but he's dying

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 15, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

RE: Gold Jersey? what are we indians from outer space?

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 15, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I was one of the few who liked the burgundy on burgundy look, but that was some funny ish right there!

o_e, that's taken already.

beans, what if they rocked pink jerseys with yellow numbers and a green outline and sky blue pants with a green stripe on them, and orange socks with black stripes with the classic burgundy helmet would you care then?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Oops, that's what I get for not reading the thread.

I liked the burgundy on burgundy as well, except for the fact that we got our asses handed to us every time we wore it. It kind of had a college look to it. It was way better than the burgundy with white pants. That was hideous.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 15, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 10:02 AM
----------------------------------------
if they wore that..i'd say they met the Browns...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 15, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 8:59 AM

Didn't Jerome Harrison and the Browns have a couple huge rushing days last year. I don't think anyone would say they were even an above average rushing team.

The Texans O-Line completely crushed the Colts D-Line.

Posted by: oldnova | September 15, 2010 9:10 AM

No way the Skins do that against the Texans on first and second down. 60-70% passing is Jason Garret's mo. There was a method to that madness.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 15, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 15, 2010 10:07 AM
------------------------------------
exactly..I was just about to post the same thing...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 15, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

red, nope, still would feel the same way...as long as at the end of the game where they wore what you described, they WON...its a moot/mute point with me...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 15, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Just goes to show how much the draft is a scam. Drafted players get cut and UFAs make teams and do well. Proof that we need rookie contract salary ceilings. Why waste $$ on someone unproven?

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | September 15, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 15, 2010 6:20 AM |

Brown, agreed. A sweetener to your point is that there is a very real possibility that the Cowchokes could be 0-3 heading into their bye week.

Book it.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 15, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | September 15, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't think its a total scam. I mean the % of success you have in each round is proven.

The MLB draft, now THAT is a scam.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

As far as this Texans game goes, here is my take:

1. Houston BADLY wanted to beat Indy, more than Indy wanted to beat Houston.

2. They had homefield advantage.

3. We wanted to beat Dallas...BADLY. And we did.

4. Now Houston has to come to Fed EX, which had a totally different feel last week. That place was on fire.

5. The crowd plays a big factor once again.

6. Who hits harder: WAS or INDY? I say WAS all day.

7. Houston is going to get punched in the face Sunday, and realize that they are, well...the Texans.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 15, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 8:59 AM

Posted by: oldnova | September 15, 2010 9:10 AM

And I believe that Jerome Harrison averaged over 10 ypc on Sunday.

Problem is that they only gave him the rock like 9 times. Harrison is a small scatback type so maybe they don't view him as a 20-25 carry guy. Holmgrini has a committee approach they want to work with right now.

That Cleveland Oline is young and good.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I mean the % of success you have in each round is proven.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------

% Success brackets
Excellent
Good
Acceptable
Poor
Terrible
Poopy_McPoop Poop Jokes
Cerrato

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 15, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 10:02 AM

They can't do this for 2 reasons:
1. Orapkpo is too manyly to wear pink

2. Sky blue pants would make Haynesworth's azz look too big

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

As far as this Texans game goes, here is my take:

1. Houston BADLY wanted to beat Indy, more than Indy wanted to beat Houston.

2. They had homefield advantage.

3. We wanted to beat Dallas...BADLY. And we did.

5. The crowd plays a big factor once again.

6. Who hits harder: WAS or INDY? I say WAS all day.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 15, 2010 10:22 AM |

Basically, the Texans blew their wad as I mentioned before. They have been planning for the Colts game for 6 months and now they have slayed the dragon, so to speak. They are "satisfied" and the clock will strike midnight for 'The Beer Can' (Foster) because Indy can't stop anyone's run game and Shanny's ball-control offense will keep Swab and Johnson on the sidelines longer than they were against the Colts.

BOOK IT.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 15, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

And I believe that Jerome Harrison averaged over 10 ypc on Sunday.

That Cleveland Oline is young and good.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Whoops. I just checked stats, and I was way off with my Harrison estimate.

But I was right with my overall point.

Browns averaged about 5 ypc on Sunday based on the 21 carries that were split between Harrison, Hillis and Cribbs.

That's good.

Again, someone making the decisions thought it would bee a good idea for Delhomme to throw 37 times in that game.

Cleveland Oline is young and good. They could be a running team.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 8:59 AM

That's not necessarily true.

Signed,

Timmy Smith

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 15, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 15, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------

I hate to sprinkle facts on a fiction inspired fire, but the same thing could be said about the Redskins: I mean, Skins/Girls is every bit intense as Texans/Colts.

If the Texans have a let down on offense, they could still put up the numbers the Girls did in the first half, and it's unlikely our offense will challenge their D the way Manning can... Just saying, everyone is looking for the Texans to have a let-down, but they are still the better football team as of week 1.5 on NFL season 2010.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 15, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Haven't heard from Albert_Haynesworth today, Poopy, oops I mean Albert must have slept in today. Don't you hate those Freudian slips?

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 15, 2010 10:37 AM |

I completely disagree. You're assuming that the Texans D is better than Dallas'. No way, especially w/o roid boy Cushing still suspended. Manning had a decent performance, the Colts O-line is, for now anyways, not as good as the 'Skins' line.

I also disagree about the Texans/Colts match-up being on par with 'Skins/Pokes. Our game is a rivalry, their game has ALWAYS been a foregone conclusion with the only win in the history of the match-up for the Texans coming last Sunday.

The 'Skins have a better running attack going into this game if you are willing to take this year's Portis over this year's Addai - which most would do, this year.

Take Manning off the Colts and they're a 4-12 team, if that. The 'Skins will fare far better than the Colts did in this game mostly because of a better defense and a ball-controlling offense. Do you really think the 'Skins will throw as much as the Colts did?

Oh yeah, no.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 15, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 15, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

-------

Agreed.

Haslett's scheme dictates our opponent's decisions, not the other way around. Prime Pittsburgh-style defense. Lots of confusing looks, zone blitzes, etc. I don't see Johnson matched up with anyone specific for the game.

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"Skins/Girls is every bit intense as Texans/Colts." - mattsoundworld

Whoa! Totally disagree with that. They've been only playing in the same division since 2002 and since then the Colts have pretty much owned the Texans. Very few teams can claim the same rival as the Redskins/Cowboys or any of the NFC East teams. Probably only the NFC North, AFC East, and AFC West. Everyone has been integrated within the last 8, 9 years.

The Colts haven't had a rival in that division for the better part of the last decade. It seemed like every two years the Jaguars or Titans would take turns at trying to knock the Colts off. Really, only within the the last two years have the Texans have become relevant in that division. Up until that point they've been nothing but bait within that division.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Re: Foster

When the Texans gave Foster the start and the rock in the last 2 games of the 2009 season, he went for 97 yards (5ypc) against the 13th ranked rush defense and 119 yards (6ypc) against the 18th ranked rush defense.

This preseason he was able to get reps with the starters, win the job and find a chemistry with the Oline. The result was 230yards (7ypc) against last years 24th ranked rush defense.

Is Arian Foster the second coming of Jim Brown?

Are the Texans going to run like the 2000 Ravens?

I don't know, that's not what is being portrayed.

But they can run the ball with this guy.

If the Skins write off Foster as a "one-hit" wonder like some folks up here seem quick to do - they do it at their own peril.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 15, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

-------

Agreed.

Posted by: psps23 | September 15, 2010 10:52 AM |

I double-agree. The way Dirty30 played last week, he should make a big impact on the play of AJ - pun intended. If Landry is able to put even a couple hits on AJ, IN BOUNDS I might add, AJ will develop the condition that was often brought on by the late Sean Taylor....alligator arms. I'm not in any way saying you can stop AJ, but you sure can slow him down a little. AJ is going to get his looks if the 'Skins can jam up the Texans run game.

Is Tryon still on the team? He's probably the only guy fast enough to keep up with AJ anyway.

Since AJ essentially can't be stopped, look for Hazelnut to open the floodgates for Orakpo and I can't believe I am saying this but look for Fat Albert to have a great game.

The one thing you can always count on from selfish players like Haney and T.O.....

They will always show up if their team is winning.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 15, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

My best case scenario.

Skin's go up by 4 touchdowns. Texans throw 3 late game TD's all to Andre Johnson.

Fantasy win...check
Reality win...check

Posted by: Predator48 | September 15, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Red,

I would say that in Ohio the Cinci Clevland games are a heated rival, same with Pitt-Cle, but that one goes back as old as skins-boys.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Re: LL30

Just saw that Laron Landry is the NFL leader with 17 tackles. Not a bad start at all for him.

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

2. Sky blue pants would make Haynesworth's azz look too big

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 10:26 AM
------------------------------------
that funny

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 15, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Re: LL30

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Even if you just count Solo he still is tied at 13.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 15, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I think we traded him to Indy ironically enough.

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

is this thing working....comments at stuck at 11:25...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 15, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

This is all a ploy.

The ones you need to worry about are Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels.

STAMPED

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 15, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone else sorta irritated that it's Wednesday on week two and we still don't have a new update?

I bet the Caps blog has something new and it's only Rookie Camp.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 15, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

This is all a ploy.

The ones you need to worry about are Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels.

STAMPED

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 15, 2010 11:44 AM |

The only way to do that is to kill the "Q-Tip", Matt Swab.

I'm reading the articles in the Houston paper and they are taking a very sober approach to Shanny (Jr. AND Sr.) and understanding that Manning chucked up 200+ yards on them in the 4th quarter alone.

The Texans seem to be handling the excitement over beating the Colts very well. They don't feel one bit worried about a 3-4 defense or that they give up a ton of yards.

What a difference turnovers can make. They are freaking equalizers.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 15, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

alex, I forgot about PIT/CLE/Cincy.

I'd throw BAL/PIT in there too.

Wiz blog had a good thread on Arenas yesterday... nothing new today though.

p1, giving Landry some due? Gonna rain acorns later this evening.

I got nothing. Def need a new thread.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 15, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I think that the colts right now view their biggest rivalry as that with the Pats…..Brady vs Manning and all. Eagles fan seem to think that Philly/Dallas is bigger than Was/Dallas. And by the way….radio chatter up here (Philly) is already saying they shouldn’t have traded Mcnabb……bwahahahahahahaahh! Can you say front runners?

I htik that Pitt?Cleveland took a big hit when the browns moved and the new browns have since pretty much sucked.

The biggest rivalry I’ve ever been witness to is Michigan/Ohio State. I had a boss who went to Ohio State and he actually threw up before a game a few years ago because he was so nervous….I think it was the year that they jobbed Miami out of the Nat Champ…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 15, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Regarding rivals, and teams. Is anyone else ever wondered why the NFL didn't move Indy, Pitt and Cle back into the NFC once the expansion happened?

I would think you can move them to the NFC, put the Seahawks, Panthers and Tampa/NO in the AFC. Or at least do it with 2 of those teams.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Anybody commented on Haynesworth's status for Sunday yet? I assume it'll probably be like last week, playing on 3rd down and other situations.
I wonder what he'll look like pissed off and pacing on the sidelines during the daytime, the other night when he was pacing and pouting vs. Dallas the lights of the stadium made his big belly jiggle even more noticably as he stomped around mad, not so flattering.....

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

[....]

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 15, 2010 11:54 AM
-------------------

luuuuve it!

donovan was never properly appreciated up there. can you imagine what a hero he'll be in washington if he plays anything like how he played in philly. he would OWN this town.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 15, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

If McNabb ever touches a Super Bowl ring here in DC, everything below Market St in Philly is at risk for a bonfire.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd play to stop the run and control Johnson.

I'd rather try to win 17-13, than lose 38-27.

We can't win looking pretty, so let's just play ugly.

Posted by: MistaMoe

This nails for me.

Haslett's defense is based on creating a 2nd and long situations -- and using those to get stops or big plays.

When dallas got to 2nd and 7 or longer, they got the next 1st down just 2 of 9 times prior to the final drive. (1 of those was the next to last play before the half).

There was a similar result vs the Jets in preseason, 2nd and 7 or more usually meant the drive was about to end.

Even if you run the ball effectively, you'll probably have a 1st down play where you gain just 2 yards at some point in a drive. That's why you take away the pass on 1st down and take chances with the run.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 15, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The 'skins haven't played a good offense yet, I feel like we may have to look at this game as one that we are not likely to win but will learn from.

The skins have shown that they can't stop the run well and despite the fact that our secondary is good, if you stack the line you are going to pay for it. A blitz heavy defense can work against the run and pass but it wears out the defense fast. This may mean that the skins stay close in the first half, but get pounded in the second as the stopping both the running game and passing game becomes impossible. Our offense is not strong enough to keep their offense off the field, it would seem. This will be a game won on our offense vs. their defense, in which our offense will have to dominate their defense, and I don't like our chances there.

I would be great if Kareem Moore was back in the line up for this one.

Prediction:

'skins 13
texans 27

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | September 15, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 15, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid it'll be worse than that my friend. 5 championship games and 1 superbowl in 11 years and can't get it done, then comes to Washington and wins. 1 minute after we win the Super Bowl all the Philly fans in the world will pull the trigger at the same time, being the new famous 'shot heard round the world', Jack Kavorkian will smile with glee.

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry

but not in the RI Hamster league, where I've got him. Got him as well in the peeps league, but didn't play him there last week.

Alas, I almost always sit guys when they play the Skins. Probably will with Foster this week, unless I only have 1 healthy RB on one of my teams (Wells and M Bush are my others -- and both missed game 1).

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 15, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | September 15, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

% Success brackets
Excellent
Good
Acceptable
Poor
Terrible
Poopy_McPoop Poop Jokes
Cerrato

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 15, 2010 10:26 AM |

cosign and funny

Posted by: hessone | September 15, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 15, 2010 10:42 AM |

How interesting, Poopy_McPoop and Albert_Haynesworth absent from the board together. You can throw in Deangelo_Hall also !

What's a sock puppet to do ?

Posted by: hessone | September 15, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"...is this thing working....comments at stuck at 11:25..."

I'm just catching my breath from watching and talking about so many pressing issues:

Can the Rays win the World Series?: Yes

Will I read Jonathan Franzen's new novel?: I haven't started the last one.

Do I want to see the movie The Town even though Ben Affleck is in it? Why not

Am I an angry voter? No

Crist, Rubio, or Meek?: Meek, of course

What do you want for X-Mas?: a Kindle and second trip to Nawlins

Tea Party or Republican Party?: a Democrat with nutz is preferred

Will Obama bounce back?: Yeah

Eminem or Rick Ross? Rick, of course

Lady Gaga?: naw, that's a face I wouldn't poke

Heat, Lakers, or Boston?: The NBA is dull until June, bro

Will Joe G go manage the Cubbies?: I would

Will people even pay serious attention to Kanye West again?: who?

'Bama or Ohio State?: Nasty Nick and the Tide, of course

Halloween or Thanksgiving?: the one with the Turkey as candy sucks

Unless it's chocolate.

And anything that's chocolate deserves to be eaten.

At least that's what mrsmoe says.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 15, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Keep taking Foster lightly, all he's done as a pro in 3 starts is bust 100 yards three straight games including the 3-4 defenses of Miami and New England last year

Posted by: kitzdakat | September 15, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

As far as this Texans game goes, here is my take:

1. Houston BADLY wanted to beat Indy, more than Indy wanted to beat Houston.

2. They had homefield advantage.

3. We wanted to beat Dallas...BADLY. And we did.

5. The crowd plays a big factor once again.

6. Who hits harder: WAS or INDY? I say WAS all day.

--------------------------------
Hahahaahha don't make me laugh you moron hahahahahah! Dallas lost that game, you all didnt' win nothing lets get that straight! You wanna stop our run game fine go ahead, we will kill you with our tight ends and our wealth of wide recievers, did I mention we have the best WR in the league? Wanna stop that go ahead will run the ball down your mouth! We are playing in fedex field the crowd will be fired up? well here is our solution score first and often and thats that! crowd will be zero factor because this won't even be a close game! We are coming in getting our win and moving on to bigger fish to fry like the Cowboys week 3 Reliant Stadium, stamp it book it whatever you want to call it!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a joke yall thought yall actually beat Dallas? ahahahahahahaah Well we will smash your dreams and aspirations very soon, C YA SUNDAY

Posted by: sosa29 | September 15, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm enjoying the interesting points from the 'Skins fans here about the game coming up on Sunday. I agree the Texans are heading for a big letdown, after beating their arch nemesis Manning. Not only that, they've got the hated Cowpukes coming to town the following weekend. They could be letting down and looking ahead at the same time--good news for the 'Skins.

I dunno about the 'Skins' offense, though. McNabb looked like, well, McNabb Sunday night, i.e., not great. The only reason the Colts were within a mile of the T's Sunday is that Manning played completely out of his mind, even for him. If the T's beat on McNabb like they beat on Manning, I look for your boy to implode.

Posted by: FreedomRide | September 15, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

texans will win with out a problem u guys beat a sorry cowboys team we distroyed in 3 quaters ull see mcnabb will choke with the pass rush

Posted by: titoamet | September 15, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

HOW THE SKINS WILL WIN:

The Texans beat the Colts by running the ball, keeping Peyton Manning off the field. Although racking up 200+ rushing yards is impressive regardless of who you play, Indy is not known for their rush defense. In 3 of the last 4 seasons, their defense against the run ranked in the bottom 25%.

Interesting note: In 2006, the year they won the Superbowl, they had the WORST run defense in the league. (in terms of yards per game).

Since 2005, stopping the run has been the Skins' strong point. You don't have to look at stats to know that. The last time any back gained more than 200 yards against the Skins was Tiki Barber in 2006.

HOW THEY WILL LOSE

Runs up the middle.

The difference this year is that the Skins are playing a 3-4 D. The 3-4 helps to avoid big plays, but the defensive line is more porous, allowing for John Riggins-style, inside, 4-6 yard runs pick up that wear out the D and get first downs. The Skins will have to use the Nickel package (Haynesworth) to mitigate this. Haynesworth, like last year, will be worn out by the 2nd half if they play him every down. The middle linebackers and Landry will be like bowling pins for the Texan's hard blocking fullback, while Carter and Orakpo won't be in on many plays

Matt Schaub has a much better pocket-presence than Romo, so they can't dedicate Landry to stopping the run every down.

Solution: Blitz inside. This puts pressure on Schaub, stuffs inside runs. With luck, this will also force fumbles. Tight ends wont block Orakpo and Carter as easily the fullback can.

Hail.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 15, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: titoamet | September 15, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

McNabb has been avoiding pass rushes and collapsing pockets for 10 years in Philly. If there's one thing he does well, it's maintain his composure when pressured.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 15, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@jboogie1: "The Texans beat the Colts by running the ball, keeping Peyton Manning off the field."

Not really. Time of possession was about equal; Manning had a huge day. The Texans won by finishing drives with scores more than the Colts did.

Posted by: FreedomRide | September 15, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FreedomRide | September 15, 2010 4:44 PM
_______________________________________

Everyone's looking at Manning's final passing statistics, he racked up over 220 of his passing yards after the Texans backed off in the 4th quarter and started playing prevent to avoid big plays, this bloated his passing stats in the end.

Posted by: kitzdakat | September 15, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

It's one game, folks. Someone should talk to Timmy Smith (if they can find what bridge he's sleeping under tonight).

Posted by: jksesq1 | September 15, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

In watching a replay of that game, the true star of the game was the Texans FB, Vonta Leach. Foster's big runs came out of I formation, w/ Leach lead blocking, opening up running lanes. Rocky and Fletch have their work cut out for them, but whoever wins that matchup will tell what Foster does Sunday...

Posted by: bernard_thompson | September 15, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

@bernard_thompson "In watching a replay of that game, the true star of the game was the Texans FB, Vonta Leach. Foster's big runs came out of I formation, w/ Leach lead blocking"

Vonta Leach is a b-a-a-a-d man. By the end of the game, Colts DBs were trying to hide from him.

Posted by: FreedomRide | September 16, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: titoamet | September 15, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

When did "we" "distroy" anyone besides the Colts? Did the Texans' and Cowboys' season start before everyone elses? Did they play a secret game that only Texans and Cowboys fans know about?

Oh, now I get it! You "distroyed" them in he preseason. They're not quite the same thing.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 16, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse