The 10 a.m. Report

Hello. I won't say good morning; this isn't a good one. But we are in place, hoping to share details with those of you who can't watch on TV.
Jason is text messaging me, which is more convenient for him. This way, he doesn't have to run back and forth from the media room to the arena where the funeral will be held.
He reports that the choir has begun to sing, the music is very powerful. In the upper level of the arena, behind the media seats, two women are weeping. There are two large screens on which highlights of Taylor's football career are being shown. Clips from high school are showing now; there are Miami still photos and game clips, too.
The contingent from Redskins Park has just arrived and is making its way to the area reserved for the team; there is a large contingent of Florida City, Fla., police, too. That, of course as you all know, is where Pedro Taylor, Sean's father, is the chief.
Taylor's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is saying hello to those who are beginning to take their seats on the floor, where family and invited guests will gather. And NFL players are arriving. One of them, not mentioned on the earlier thread, is former Redskin Lemar Marshall. Former Redskin LaVar Arrington and his wife have arrived; as mentioned in the previous thread, he will be speaking at the service. Arrington stood for a moment at the casket and wiped a tear from his eye.
Commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to be available to the media afterward, but, obviously, the family and friends will leave for the cemetery.
The Chicago Bears group has arrived and it includes blog favorite Adam Archuleta. Renaldo Wynn is there and we are told that former Redskin Ryan Clark (Pittsburgh) will be there, as well. Wynn and Marshall are talking to Arrington now as the arena fills.
The New York Giants group is in the arena...Jeremy Shockey (a U of Miami guy), former Redskin Antonio Pierce and Plaxico Burress are representing the team.
From the Arizona Cardinals, Antrel Rolle and Edgerrin James have arrived.
Former Redskins Derrick Dockery and Robert Royal, now with Buffalo, are expected.
And O.J. Simpson has just arrived, talking about how he tried to recruit Taylor for USC back in the day. We are told that O.J.'s son attended Gulliver Prep, where Taylor and Jackie Garcia went to school and met.
Everyone in the arena has been asked to be seated, so it appears this will begin shortly. I'll switch to a new entry when it begins.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 3, 2007; 10:07 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Good Morning/Order of Celebration
Next: Sean Taylor's Funeral

Comments

I was wonderdering why we haven't heard anything from Levar on this matter. I guess he is taking it very hard as well.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

While there is no good place to post this right now given the somber tone of the morning, I did want to highlight a portion of Peter King's mmqb:

Great example of how to do a blog: Jason LaCanfora of the Washington Post, in his Redskins Insider, consistently updating the Sean Taylor story with the timeliness of a good newsman and the sensitivity needed to cover a death from the front lines.

Jason, once again, thank you for enabling us Skins fans and Sean Taylor fans to keep up with the latest developments and to have a place to mourn collectively.

Hail

Posted by: mile.high | December 3, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Hey there. We're going to blog just a little differently. Rather than post a bunch of one-sentence entries, I'm going to keep updating this one for now. I'll put up a new one just before the ceremony starts. If any one strongly objects, holler!

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Remember when LaVar gave Sean the shaving cream pie in the face? That was the worst executed prank I have ever seen.

Also, just wondering if Monday would have been a day off of the team or if they would practice? I know that it usually is, but not sure what the schedule would have been with a Thursday game.

Posted by: BT23 | December 3, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

That would be great Cyn Cyty. Sine I am jumping back and forth from work and the blog.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see some familiar names posting ....very emotional week I have lurked but not posted in a while ....don't recognize many of the names slinging mud around here anymore....This loss is the bottom, even if we lose out....We have 2 problems, we can break the problems down to many many sub problems but ..... 1. we are almost totally devoid of play makers... this a league about offense we are in dire need of an offensive threat at running back and WR....right now we are a collection of has beens and never were's ...in other words we have a team of solid complementary players, lead by a young QB ( Clock has started ticking however, averaging almost 2 turnovers a game must stop or it will be his undoing)Jc gets a pass for the rest of the year and probbally into the early part of next but he needs a go to wr and a running back who break open a game to really help him ( no different than any other QB).....thats problem 1 its all about the players making plays that break open games and finish games.... on offense and defense we don't . which brings us to problem 2... when you don't have all the horses great coaching can make a difference, not saying championship difference but winning your share of close games and turning an ok roster into a higher performance on a consistent basis. Thats being a decisive leader and adjusting on the fly, getting players to trust and by in.....Gibbs certainly has the respect of his players, they admire him as a person and how hard he works and how much he respects and defends them at every turn....all the thing s that made him great the first time round....I find more fault with him on the offensive side of the ball, he always let the defense run without much input....Here is what it comes down too and as i write this it strikes me that he hasn't put the offensive team toghther that can be what he wants "redskin football" was about power running specically a big 240 or so pound running back who would wear down a defense and a big offensive line, add a reliable big reciever to get open on critical third downs, a small quick running back to catch the ball and run the occassional draw and a couple of fast wr's to go deep .....thats what old coaches do they stay in the era that made them great and continually build teams in the image of what has worked so well for them in the past....Gibbs has put toghter an offense better suited to to do anything but the power running game he bases his whole approach on... neither portis or betts is really the right kind of back, the oline is no longer the biggesr in the NFL all your recievers are small....he is stuck with the roster he has created and is too conservative and Stubborn/slow to realize that...he has built a team made to play in a different way than is is comfortable coaching and that is really his fault...his style of play hasn't gone the way of the dinosaur....but he has built an offense that can't do what he wants to do and he won't change that until its to late......

Posted by: Oldschool | December 3, 2007 10:10 AM

Always seem to post at the end thought put this up here since i haven't posted in awhile....JV i like your comments good stuff.....

Posted by: Oldschool | December 3, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I think Monday would have been a typical day otherwise...players would have come in for treatment, etc. Tuesday would have been a day off. As it is now, they'll practice tomorrow afternoon and Gibbs will talk to the media as usual around 4:45. They'll treat Wednesday like a Saturday, when the facility is closed.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Did the players, Redskins organization, etc... get to say a proper goodbye? In terms of being able to view the body of their teammate, brother and friend. From stories I read on yesterday of those who went to the public viewing, being able to "see" him one last time made things a little more "real" and gave people a sense of closure.

Posted by: forkyim | December 3, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, thanks for all the hard work that both you, and Jason have done during these trying times. You've both proven to be outstanding in your fields. I know I speak for many on here, thank you, for your outstanding efforts to keep us informed.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 3, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

NBC4 has started their web cast. The players just arrived.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

A security guard tells us that this may well last three or four hours. Boz thinks 13 people, plus ministers, of course, are slated to speak. And it doesn't include music.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

That pie may have been the worst-executed prank ever, but it was pretty funny. A good memory; thanks for sharing that.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

From what I understood from an earlier telecast, Taylor's body arrived at the arena around 8:30...given the appearance of Pedro Taylor, Jackie Garcia and other family members at Redskins Park Wednesday, I'd be surprised if the family didn't arrange for the team to have a few minutes alone with No. 21 to say goodbye.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Man this is so said. A video of the Reaper is playing. Damn I can't believe this really happened.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Jason reports that O.J. Simpson, who lives in South Florida, has arrived at the arena.
He spoke about how he tried to convince Taylor to go to USC.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Who's the guy next to Shockey in the nbc video stream?

Posted by: dcsween | December 3, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Would they please kick OJ out of this funeral! All he is there is for publicity and nothing else. What a waste!

Posted by: straub21 | December 3, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

OJ Simpson? OJ Simpson? This is the last human being anyone needs at their funeral. How did it make it through the front doors? Security needs to remove him

Posted by: mlewis31 | December 3, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

jason should sue peter king for spelling his name wrong.

Posted by: sales | December 3, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Old School, I'm with you on your comments. We can pick this up later. Time to pull out everything distracting me from last week all over again. I still can't explain it ... I didn't know him, he didn't know me (though admittedly, that is unequal, I knew alot more ABOUT him than he about me) ... this is really hard.

Posted by: dcsween | December 3, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Please tell me that OJ is not there? Are you freaking kidding me??

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 3, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

O.J.'s son, we believe, attended Gulliver Prep. Btw, I'll start a new thread shortly, so stay tuned...

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

O.J. is allowed to grieve like any body else.

Posted by: dcsween | December 3, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Why is O.J. Simpson there? I guess it is a public ceramony. Man has no shame. BTW, I saw a bunch on NY Giants including Shockey (visibly upset) and Antonio Pierce come in. I forget how large NFL players are. The Giants (no pun) are some scary looking guys in suits.

Posted by: nicefellow31 | December 3, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

It's conceivable O.J.'s son or daughter knew Sean or Jackie.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Shockey looks like less of a punk with a haircut. Sean Taylor is one of the few who was actually able to ring Shockey's bell.

Posted by: dcsween | December 3, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Edgerrin James and Antrel Rolle have arrived....

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I hope that the loss of Sean Taylor will start an honest discussion about gun violence and what can be done about it. Please let us know if this comes up at the funeral. Personally, I think Mayor Wallace is free to start the discussion.

The awful CBS announcers didn't mention it on the broadcast yesterday. You can't talk about the loss of Sean Taylor and not acknowledge that gun violence has to stop. He didn't die of cancer! He died because kids were running around with guns.

When will this stop?

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 3, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Cyn Cyty make sure you give us a heads up when you make a new post

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Will do, JM. Family still has not been seated.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Nor are the speakers in place behind the coffin. There are plenty of chairs back there, still empty as yet. You'd imagine they would come in first, then the family last.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Could be a while yet....

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

We are told that the family hit traffic, believe it or not.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

So sad at the stadium yesterday. So sad watching the funeral services now. Just profound sadness.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 3, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I live in Newport News.

I am astonished that WAVY10, WTKR, and the rest of the goons find it more important to air the 700 club, the view, and other garbage shows that this funeral.

The nbc4 cast is alright, but watching it on the televsion would be better. ESPNews might show it, Im not sure yet. Thanks Jason and Cindy for the updates as im sure all of redskins nation wishes they were there.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | December 3, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

NBC4 is showing a bunch of people outside.. presumably his family

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | December 3, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Yes, the Taylor and Garcia families have arrived. They're still outside the Pharmed Arena, though.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the Redskins got a private open casket viewing before the service?

Posted by: mlewis31 | December 3, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Given that there was a public viewing yesterday, I would think the team would be given that if he wanted it.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

From the nbc4 feed, looks like Jesse Jackson (Sr. and Jr.) are there, as it Rep. John Lewis. The film had ST's daughter, asleep on someone's shoulder.

Posted by: dcsween | December 3, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

i hear you and feel the same Dcsween.....

Posted by: Oldschool | December 3, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins will announce later today the hiring of O.J. Simpson as "Timeout Coach".

He will be responsible for calling timeouts as well as keeping count of how many we have left.

When the Skins want a timeout O.J. will sprint and hurdle suitcases along the sideline like his Airport Hertz commercials.

Posted by: garygarbo | December 3, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

So OJ is there because he once talked to Sean and said he wanted him to come to USC? Wow is OJ going to speak? LaVar and Mike Sellers should take care of OJ and toss his ass out.

Posted by: relishfilms | December 3, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard or seen if the the Taylor #21 patches or stickers would be sold or available to the general public and fans? I think it would be nice if they made all the proceeds from those being sold to go to his daughter Jackie!

Posted by: cmcclure1 | December 3, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The service has started with prayers. We'll post a new entry shortly.

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

garygarbo, imo, this is not the place for jokes.

Posted by: nicefellow31 | December 3, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

dcsween,

Sure OJ is allowed to grieve if he wants to. But if the guy had any class, he would ask himself, "If I go, what will be the impact? Am I going to detract? Am I going to distract?" (Thought I'd throw in some alliterative rhyming since Uncle Jesse is there.)

For more on OJ and grieving, consult the Brown and Goldman families.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 3, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

beepbeep

Posted by: TheCindy | December 3, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I live in So. Florida but had to be at work today, otherwise I would have gone to the service.

Knowing I wasn't going to be able to make it, on Saturday I went down to the Keys. As some may know, Florida City is the last city on the mainland penninsula before you get into the Keys. I drove around the city for a while, reminding myself that while the Keys may be considered a resort-type area, Florida City can be a tough place to live. Most of the people there are working back-breaking jobs in agriculture for minimum pay.

On Sunday, I was in a cafe and got the Miami Herald to read over breakfast. There were a number of articles about Sean, including a photo of him with some friends taken near where I was in Tavernier (south of Key Largo) during the open lobster season the state holds annually.

I guess my point is that most of us became familiar with him as a player--some while he was still at the U of Miami and others as Redskins fans. What we couldn't have known is how difficult life must have been for him as a kid, from a family standpoint as well as where he grew up.

What makes me particularly upset is the incredibly insensitive way in which supposedly aware writers seemed to anticipate this tragedy by suggesting that somehow it was linked to his lifestyle. The man was alseep in his bed with the wife of his child and their daughter nearby. Men with whom he had some acquaintance but no real connection broke in, panicked to find him there and shot him. The attack was not predicated on anything other than they figured he was wealthy and worth ripping off. Easy pickings, except for the fact that he was home when they thought he was elsewhere.

But my ire at writers who can't see past their own prejudices is no more useful than their misinformation.

So as I sat by the water in a place where Sean would sometimes come to get away from things and enjoy happier times, I decided that for me, at least, the season is over. I'll follow the rest of the team's exploits by reading the score and accounts of the games, but Sundays are going to be spent doing more with my kids and with people who can benefit from my participation in their lives. I wish the team victory, but I'll find out how they did the next day.

There are a lot of kids with Sean Taylor-like stories, not only here, but where you live too. As a memorial to Sean, I hope you'll support youth-service organizations in your community that are helping boys and girls who really benefit from the opportunties those organizations provide.

There's no way to prevent the kind of violence that took Sean Taylor. But we owe it to our kids to look for ways to make sure that it becomes a lot more rare than it is today.

Peace

Posted by: InRealAmerica | December 3, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this posted already, but I just wanted to say how glad I am that Sean's father asked LaVar Arrington to speak. LaVar brought me to tears.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse