Monday Morning Reading Room

The baby monitor on the 2009 season will be turned off next week, but until then, we're listening for burps and other assorted noises. Here's what we're reading while we await the Final Fan Appreciation Day on twitter by @Dhall23 (he usually takes questions around 6 or 7 p.m.) and ponder whatever happened to Haiku Man:

No more ankle jewelry for Michael Vick, who is a free man now. Next up: finding him a good home where he'll be loved and taken care of.

In his first interview since his farewell interview, former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan says he's ready to do the fubball thing again next year. "Will work for food," Shanahan said. "That's my motto." And with that, let the speculation begin.

Texans QB Matt Shaub plunked a spectator at a celebrity golf tourney. Helmets, people, helmets.

And, finally, Jeremy Jarmon (@DoubleJJ99) had his first Five Guys burger over the weekend. He didn't tweet again, so hope there were no gastric repercussions.

By Cindy Boren  |  July 20, 2009; 8:34 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Assessing the Jarmon Pick
Next: Gibbs on Campbell and Being an NFL QB

Comments

1ST TO SAY HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS!!

Former NFL linebacker Darren Hambrick behind bars
Posted by Mike Florio on July 20, 2009 7:10 AM ET
Former NFL linebacker Darren Hambrick, who spent five years in the NFL, could be spending a lot longer than five years in jail based on a laundry list of charges arising from allegations that he raped and beat his girlfriend.

According to the St. Petersburg Times, Hambrick is jailed in lieu of $106,000 bond for domestic battery, sexual battery, false imprisonment, and tampering with a witness.

The woman claims she was held against her will for 11 hours, and that Hambrick raped her and repeatedly threw her onto the bed so many times that the frame of the bed broke.

It's the latest in a long line of legal troubles for Hambrick. He was arrested twice in 2008 for abusing the woman, ultimately serving 18 months of probation.

Hambrick also was charged with battery in 2005 and 2006, and he served probation after reporting as stolen a check he had cashed.

The fact that Hambrick has gotten a pass in the past, coupled with the reality that he's still on probation, likely means that Hambrick will finally have to serve some real time in prison.

Darren Hambrick spent three-plus seasons with the Cowboys. After starting 16 games in 2000, he was abruptly cut five games into the 2001 campaign. The Panthers swooped in, and he appeared in nine games, starting eight, in Charlotte to finish the year.

Hambrick started 15 games the next season in Cleveland, but that was the end of the road for him in the NFL.

Hambrick's brother, Troy, also spent five years in the NFL, once rushing for 972 yards in Dallas as the team's go-to tailback.

But Troy is currently spending five yeasrs in federal custody for selling crack cocaine.

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

wow - that's quite a 'first'. Ouch.

Cyn - thanks for the awesmoe post. Is there a section in 'Elements of Style' for Blog posts - 'cause you got it nailed!!

I've had 5 guys boigahs in Miamuh. Wasn't too impressed. Are they better up this way? Fuddruckers is still my chain favorite, the best Burger being the little grill on 69th & Biscayne, "Kingdom" By far best bar food I've had in ages, if ever!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

We JARMON

And I hope you like JARMON too

We JARMON

Posted by: GreatOne1 | July 20, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Criminals
Outta
Work
Bring
On
Your
Stars

Not great but it kinda works.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Dik
What did you have. Maybe you did not order right. And did you eat it there or wait, you have to eat them fresh!

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Fudruckers is for the tourists....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

4th,
I know about the one opening up I am excited. If you all see me on a daytime talk show in 4 years as the guy too fat to get out of his house, it will be due to that 5 guys.

I have no beef with Fuds get it they are different types of burgers, and I prefer their buns over 5G. If I want be gluttonous with a burger I go there. Or if I want Buffalo.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"Fudruckers is for the tourists....5 guys puts everyone to sleep at the desk in the afternoon. One is about to open on my work block soon....Posted by: 4thFloor"

5 Guys gets my (chain) vote, but you know what happens to quality the more they expand. Besides, this isn't exactly burger country around here, is it? Ray's uses quality meat, but when the VIPs start showing up, you know the real burger fanz have already moved on.

I haven't found anything in my few years here that would rate a mention in the Midwest.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 20, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Fuddruckers is for fat people who want heart attacks at age 40.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

High-profile receiver camp going on in Minnesota
Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 18, 2009 5:30 PM ET
There's a small, star-studded NFL convention unfolding at the University of Minnesota, an elite wide receiver clinic organized by Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

According to Jim Trotter of SI.com, the Pro Bowl wideout recruited several of the league's top receivers as well as some defensive players to attend intense football workouts in Minneapolis. Fitzgerald also books hotel rooms for the players and opens up his home for meals.

The "professors" running the drills are retired star wide receivers Jerry Rice and Cris Carter.

Beyond the pedigree of Rice and Carter, Fitzgerald brought in a lot of talent to make the drills competitive.

Per the report, that group includes Brandon Marshall (Denver Broncos), Greg Jennings (Green Bay Packers), Malcolm Jenkins (New Orleans Saints), Lee Evans (Buffalo Bills), Michael Clayton (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), DeAngelo Hall (Washington Redskins), James Laurinaitis (St. Louis Rams) and Brian Robiskie (Cleveland Browns).

"The way Cris teaches us to run a route, I never heard it put that way," Evans said. "What he was teaching wasn't new. It's just the way he said it that you could relate to. Like they always say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
-----------------------------------------

This can only be a good thing for DHall. Watching some of the best WR in the game today and matching up against them in a non-team practice........

I seems to still be respected by the WRs....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

It is true the west coast and midwest still have great chains that have yet to get to our fine city.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Missing Haiku Man
Redskins Insider Hurts
Intelligence Falls

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I think Vick gets reinstated this pre-season. Goodell will ramble on about "paid his debt to society" and "second chances". It will be a warm and teary eyed affair. Reality will set in when the team that takes a flyer on him opens their season with about a thousand angry protesters at the stadium. I cannot see it going well at first, but NFL fans have short memories and the first time Vick scrambles for double digit yardage, the fans will be okay with him being back. End of that story.

Mike Shannahan, come on down. As the Redskins struggle this season, Shannahan will be brought in as a consultant. The job will become permanent head coach when the season ends with the Skins missing the playoffs.

QB Matt Shaub, don't give up your day job.

Jeremy Jarmon, instead of gulping sliders, you should be drinking protein shakes and living in a weight room. Your body is a temple: the temple of flattening quarterbacks, and you should respect the temple. Eat the burgers after you have that twenty sack season.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 20, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Cookout has the best burger for the money.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

You people in your big cities with your fancy burgers.

What about the poor shlubs in remote corners of the world, i.e. Cheyenne, WY who cant get a good burger.

We did get an olive garden though...it was on the fron page of our three-page newspaper

Posted by: CheyenneWY | July 20, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

CheyenneWY
You got a better shot at an in&out, What-a-Burger or Fat Burger then we ever will.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather see Thomas or Kelly at that WR clinic than Hall.

Posted by: McMetal | July 20, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Weird that Cheyenne is burger-bereft, those folks are big time meat eaters...

Posted by: Samson151 | July 20, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

In and out burger is probably my favorite chain burger joint. One day, maybe, we'll see one in the DMV.

By far the best burger I've ever eaten was the Double Bacon Barbecue Cheeseburger at the Cheesecake Factory. Nothing else comes close.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 20, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Haven't you guys ever heard of The Varsity? Come on down south of the Mason-Dixon and get your burger on!!!

Posted by: Broman17 | July 20, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Ray's the Classics Burger

Diablo Style
Sauteed Onions, Garlic, and Mushrooms
Ray's Heck Sauce
Bacon
Medium Rare

It's like heaven.

Posted by: psps23 | July 20, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Red Robin is pretty good, if you really want an artery bomb.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I have not been to Wendys since the one on South Cap burned down. But that Cheesecake factory thing sounds like a fancy baconator.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Although I would like to have In & Out sometime. But given how people raved about Five Guys only for me to be underwhelmed, I'm somehow expecting similar results from In & Out.

Posted by: psps23 | July 20, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | July 20, 2009; 8:34 AM ET

Five Guys marches to the beat of a different drummer ... a repercussionist.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I hit a place when I was in New Jersey called Nite Dippers...it was right outside the gate of Ft. Dix.

That was probably the best burger/hot wing joint I have ever been to. IT was so good I asked to be reassigned there.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | July 20, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

But that Cheesecake factory thing sounds like a fancy baconator.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Yes, in the same way a Ferarri is a fancy Miata.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 20, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Fuddruckers is for fat people who want heart attacks at age 40.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 10:12 AM

Five Guys are for the rest of us looking for heart attacks in our 30s ... wait ... I might already be dead.

All this Five Guys chatter is making me want to scrap my packed lunch pork chops ... maybe march off for very metrosexy Five Guys double cheeseburger with grilled onions and grilled mushrooms ... hold the bun.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

In and Out sounds pretty disgusting. In the South , Cookout is the best fastfood burger by far.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Had the pleasure of finally getting my hands on a Five Guys burger down here in Southern MD. Had a famous cheeseburger with mayo, ketch, jalapenos, and pickles, maybe not the best burger ever but definately in the top 5.

Posted by: Predator48 | July 20, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

In the end remember we are talking Burgers. The same 101's apply to all, not that its a bad thing. Ground beef between 2 slices of a roll. Some variations apply, in cheese and toppings.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Broman17 | July 20, 2009 10:57 AM

There's lots of reasons to go to the V, but the V-burger isn't one of 'em.

As for 5-Guys, they're gonna follow Krispy Kreme donuts to oblivion. Once you can get them as easily as McDonald's, they'll lose tbeir mystique. Then, the only burger worth having will be Ray's Hellburger because they're only sold at one place.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 20, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Unless your from Canada you should never put mayo on the burger .

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

In the South , Cookout is the best fastfood burger by far.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Cookout is great. I always hit that place when I'm on the road to Atl. I didn't realize it was a chain. I usually get the BBQ, though.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 20, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

For chains, InnNOut's hard to beat, but the real gems are in the independents. Hamburger America's Picks:

Yankee Doodle, New Haven
Town House, KC Mo.
Apple Pan, LA
Bobcat Bite, Santa Fe (green chile cheese)
Matt's Bar, Minneapolis (Jucy Lucy)

and about 95 others.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 20, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 11:12 AM

I'm in the metrosexy graduate level class, post-101 level stuff ... this Atkins thing means I can eat as much meat and fat as I want (no carbs, much less sugary stuff too). In 3 weeks, I've shed 5 pounds ... without any inconvenience or portion control. [Also, its summer so I've been biking to work and exercising more ... maybe if I watched the portion size, I'd be shedding more quickly ... but that's for Mike Williams. I'm not the answer at RT.]

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

On burger joints,

The first thing I do is try a plain burger w/ slight fixins. The 5 guys entry was just a hockey-puck of a meat slab swimming in oil. Pretty flavorless, too.

And 'tis true - not much on the east coast can compare to midwest (St. Louis, K.C.). So I'll have to adjust my 'Kingdom' entry to East Coast...

sryy - 4 posting so late - much work to do.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Unless your from Canada you should never put mayo on the burger .

Posted by: alex35332

I thought that only applied to the fries. mayo works for me tho.

Posted by: Predator48 | July 20, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

5guys def not metrosexually!

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I had 5 Guys once and wasn't impressed. I've had burgers at Red Robin that crushes 5 Guys by comparison. Hell, even a Whopper gets the nod over 5 Guys in my book.

I know that's considered blasphemy in the DMV, but I grew up vegetarian and my meat eating idiosyncracies are a bit unusual to some.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 20, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy the Ketosis, Sween! (and the Cheese!)

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Bobcat Bite, Santa Fe (green chile cheese)
Matt's Bar, Minneapolis (Jucy Lucy)

Posted by: Samson151

As a native Santa Fean moved to MPLS, I'll second this remark. The Bite got a shout out on the Splendid Table last weekend, too. I love you Lynn Rosetto Kasper, you gigantic delicious woman, you.

Seriously, though, the buffalo burgs at the Bite are to die for as well.

that is all.

Posted by: MNSkinsFan | July 20, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I agree w/ Brownie - though I do admit the BK (whar the SJK ARE they up here??!!) is probably adding all kinds of crazy flavors that are not BEEF to that thing called the whopper...

I will give 5 guys a try up here, tho, just in case.

Great - now I'm jonezin' for a RudFuSJKers... lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Haiku...

Has anyone heard from Art Monk to the Stix, The gov, Pub Golf or any of the old timers lately?

I haven't been on all that much as of late but they weren't around much last season.

Skinz

Posted by: Gweez | July 20, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

5guys def not metrosexually!

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 11:32 AM

Just so I understand the terminology, is it metrosexual to have sex on the Metro? And, at what point do specific activities constitute that activity (I mean, in a Presidential sense of the term ... you know, like ... that woman, Ms. Lewinsky.]

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Hell Burger is the best in the DC area but Five Guys isn't bad. I think 5 guys were better when they weren't a massively huge chain a couple years back.

Posted by: Gweez | July 20, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Don't know if you've tried the Angry Whopper, Dik but it's an amazing burger. Spicy, with just the right amount of kick to it. My dad LOVES jalapenos but has had a myriad of heart problems and I'm doing my best to make sure he never knows about the Angry Whopper. His life literally depends on it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 20, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs, guesting on Mike Wise's new WJFK show, sez Michael Vick hfas paid "a huge price" for his mistake and deserves a second chance. Gibbs also sez: "I think it's the greatest sports franchise in the world."

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 20, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm anti-Five Guys. Last time I had it I almost crapped out my spine. I've had a lot of burgers from a lot of places and none have ever done that to me.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 20, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 11:02 AM

Hmm, so that's what happened to it? Why don't they build it again? Wendys is bangin'. I went over there for lunch the other day to get:

A Medium Fry
A Frosty
A Baconator
A Five Piece Nugget -- with ranch dipping sauce

I had to settle for McDonalds and their new Angus Steakburger instead.

Oh and you most definitely have to have mayo on a burger, it just isn't the same with out it.

Mayo
Mustard
Ketchup
Tomato
Lettuce, are all essentials. That lineup is what makes an "All-American Burger".

Posted by: RedDMV | July 20, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

4th, re: Vick and the UFL ... if he really wanted to get back into the game, I think he'd be well advised to hang low and wait for the Commissioner to come around, kiss his a$$, etc. such as.

In the Monday AM one-liners, one of those PFT links had someone saying something about Vick being a good fit in Jacksonville. I agree. In a state is big into greyhound racing and jai alai, my guess is that its probably one of the places he'd be least likely to find a hostile fan base (esp. if he helped them win a few more games).

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

etrod, they cook their fries in peanut oil (and a lot of it) ... did you dare throw away any fries? if not, that might explain your spinal condition.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 20, 2009 11:53 AM

dcsween and St. Joe are same swingin' souls on Vick.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Mayo
Mustard
Ketchup
Tomato

Posted by: RedDMV | July 20, 2009 11:57 AM

mayo+ketchup=Russian dressing. Never on an All-American burger. (I'd leave out the red sauce, but that's just Yankee Doodle me.)

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 20, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Wise can survive 2 hours by himself??

I think most people will not be amused wi LA's show. He is too much of free thinker... BMitch 2.0.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

My high-colonic may have very well been a result of me consuming an entire bag-o-fries. Eeither way, I won't touch that place again.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 20, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Mayo is fine on a burger or most sandwiches. Here's the thing though, you should never actually be able to see the Mayo, if you can it's too much. It's just like button most things, it should be soked in or melted. If it's clumping your doing it wrong.

Mayo should be spread on the bun and only enough that it "melts" right in.

Posted by: Gweez | July 20, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

TE,

No onions? A burger for me must have onions.

Posted by: Gweez | July 20, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"As a native Santa Fean moved to MPLS, I'll second this remark. The Bite got a shout out on the Splendid Table last weekend, too...Word to the wise on the Jucy Lucy (sic): let it cool down for a spell before you take the first bite. The cheese in there is hotter than molten iron and it squirts directly into your mouth, ruining the rest of the Lucy." posted by MNSkinsFan

Well, since you're a native of the Land of Entrapment, you might want to bronco on over to the Groveland Tap and get a Cajun Lucy, which turns out to be pepperjack cheese and jalapeno -- with salsa. Dunno what's so cajun about that.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 20, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

GWeez - Re: MAyo - Great Minds think alike.

I also like to put on too much BBQ Sauce/Ketchup on my burger so it can spill off and use the burger or fries to pick up the spillage.......

Guess where I am going today?

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Heh, my spelling was horrendous. Butter/button, soaked...

Posted by: Gweez | July 20, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

5guys sounds too expensive to start....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Best burger w/out having to leave the car = Checkers

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

No onions? A burger for me must have onions.

Posted by: Gweez | July 20, 2009 12:07 PM

That's a big positive on the onions. Better in slices than chopped. Plus other things -- bacon, jalapenos -- but no ketchup, please.

Now that we've all placed our orders, where do we pick these things up?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 20, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I had a salad for lunch. You guys are making me feel like Charlie Brown when he goes out trick or treat-ing: “I got a rock”………

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 20, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

4th - the price of the franchise seems about right. It's all of the other "basic requirements" that seems a little over the top. That Net worth and liquid assets # is high for franchises that I've looked into. I loved the line about having the "ability to purchase the rights to at least 5 more locations". But someone's stepping up to the plate because they are popping up everywhere.

Posted by: BCBarney | July 20, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

No basis to deny that an independent operation would be superior to a franchise (which ANY owner of any NFL team could afford per 4th's link).

So the real question is Five Guys v. Johnny Rockets ... and whether the community can demand a switch as a developmental concession in the inevitable 'planned development unit' process that will have to happen when The Owner decides that the time is right to tear down RFK, blow up FedEx, and start over.

[My two cents is that the Johnny Rockets burger is servicable and a step above McD's or BK or Wendy's (recognizing that I'm saying that the Miata is also a step above the Yugo). Both JRockets and 5Guys are griddled rather than grilled ... for me, it comes down to the accompanying griddled onions and mushrooms ... so I say edge to Five Guys. Also, Five Guys comes at a lower price ... not that that wouldn't change if The Owner franchised a Five Guys concession for neo-RFK.]

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BCBarney | July 20, 2009 12:39 PM

Supply and demand. Sill not as exclusive as the NFL owners.

But the 5 additional franchises makes no sense in a chain called "Five Guys." Should be four additional franchises.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 20, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

NEt Worth for those guys are relative to tax services I've looked into. But that 'Build-Out' Clause seems pretty high. In this market, they should be able to get the building owner to pay for a good amount of that. I suspect 5guys is pocketing alot of that money. Franchise fee is low, though.

I said the same thing about the '5 locations' part......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

... I loved the line about having the "ability to purchase the rights to at least 5 more locations". But someone's stepping up to the plate because they are popping up everywhere.

Posted by: BCBarney | July 20, 2009 12:39 PM

The rapid expansion seems so risky to me -- its like no one is figuring out the lessons of Crocs or Starbucks ... not to plan for growth beyond the point of market saturation.

On the other hand, Five Guys saturates in other delicious ways too ... polyunsaturated ways.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Wise can survive 2 hours by himself??

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Take that and double it, he is on 10-2 and he is not alone he has a sidekick.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren

But if Joe Gibbs were still coaching, would he give Vick a chance? While he is sitting on the sidelines he can make comments like that, but c'mon. I know there will be a team out there that will take a chance on the guy - assuming Goodell lets him play - but it's not just the dog fighting thing. Ron Mexico has other skeletons in his closet that might say, "Maybe not." Joe Gibbs always wanted high character players on his team and he would not have touched Vick with a ten foot pole.

As for the "greatest franchise in the world" comment I assume he is referring to the Redskins. So, if you are in love Joe, come on back.

Methinks, perchance, there is an emptiness to his words that doth not ring true.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 20, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

5 Guy's IS too expensive, and why the SJK don't they take credit or debit cards like every other business in the United States of America? That alone is enough to drive my business elsewhere.

The burgers are pretty good, although down here in Richmond VA the quality has slipped noticeable over the past year.

The BEST thing about 5 Guys is it's the only fast food joint (or any restauarant for that matter) that understands how to properly cook bacon. You don't char it to a crisp and you absolutely do not leave even one shred uncooked as a gelatinous blob. That is disgusting.

The bacon at Arby's is the worst - because it's not even real bacon. Wendy's is at least identifiable as a pork product, but they seem utterly incapable of cooking it thoroughly. 9 times out of 10 I am forced to peel that slippery, rubbery mess off my burger just to choke it down without vomiting.

Cheeburger Cheeburger is my new favorite, because of their awesome array of shakes and the fact that they offer a colossal 1 pound burger that gets your picture up on the wall if you finish it. :)

But without question, down here, best burger joint BAR NONE is Roy's Big Burger in Northside. Just a simple stand - no frills but the burgers are usually amazing and leave the bags all covered in grease spots, just like a good Philly steak and cheese does. Mmm.

Posted by: McMetal | July 20, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh - someone name dropped Ray's The Classics. Is that good? The one in silver spring?

Also, why isn't it Ray's Classics?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The angry whopper is not too bad. Not enough heat to actually make me angry. But the triple can get you a touch of meat rage.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | July 20, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Every 5 Guys I have been to takes credit cards, I remember way back when they were just starting it was a cash only operation, but that was close to 10 years ago. Maybe its just the one by you.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

You think B-Mitch was a "thinker"???

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Alex - He already ran out of topics 2 hours in!

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

You think B-Mitch was a "thinker"???

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 1:17 PM

Free thinker as in he does not always vote republican/democrat type way....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

The Angry whopper could quite possibly be the most disgusting thing on the face of the planet. Only thing the Angry Whopper is good for is a good case of diarreah.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 20, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Mayo should be spread on the bun and only enough that it "melts" right in.

Posted by: Gweez | July 20, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Mayo and grilled onions are a perfect blend...they must accompany one another kind of like PBJ...not a big fan of a burger w/tons of raw veggies on it...if I want a salad I'll order one, but please don't plop one on top of a burger...

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Thats to bad to hear. I had yet to try the angry whopper, and it looked like my type of thing.

Remmeber when Wendys had the weird dipping sauces right around when Dave Thomas died? My no 1 burger at the time was getting a triple patty and putting Chipolte sauce on it. This was up in Philly, which has even less options of burger joints then we do.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

You think B-Mitch was a "thinker"???

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 1:17 PM

Free thinker as in he does not always vote republican/democrat type way....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

B-Mitch is one of my favorite all-time Redskins, but as a talking sportshead, I thought he was the poor man's Screamin' A. Smith...

His idea of analysis was a blow-hard opinion, his idea of debate was to shout down a counterpoint, and his response to any criticism was "I wear my heart on my sleeve"...that schtick gets old after a while...

I was kind of glad when he got canned from 980...

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

iH8burgers' abs are being threatened by fast food!! muuuaaa hjah aha ha h ah

PFunk (make my funk the..), I used to make a salad on my wrapper at the Roy Roger's fixin's bar... yum! Horsey Sauce!

They have two in Germantown & the roast beef is the bizniziznizizzleomb. Gesundhiet.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

My burger order at 5 guys. Bacon Cheese Burger, with grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, tomato, lettuce ketchup and mustard.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Man,you got me sad Dik......Roy Rogers was awesome…..I loved their roast beef sandwiches, burgers (double r-bar burger), sundaes, shakes, and most of all the fried chicken. It’s a real shame they are all but out of business. The only one I can think of is in one of the I-95 rest areas up towards Delaware……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 20, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

A true thing about Mark Maske: he loves the Roy Rogers near Madison Square Garden.

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 20, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

iH8burgers' abs are being threatened by fast food!! muuuaaa hjah aha ha h ah

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

My brother-in-law got food poisoning at an old Roy's after loading up on those fixin's...they cut him a check for a couple hundred bucks as a settlement...it always struck me as pretty unsanitary to have a pail of chopped veggies out in the open where any schmuck off the street can walk in and start thumbing through them...

...there's also still a Roy Roger's over by Lakeforest Mall in Gaithersburg

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Did someone mention Roy Rogers?

If you know about Roy Rogers then you should know about their biscuits.

You should also know about their strawberry shortcake sundae, which included a biscuit.

That thing was damn good right there. I miss it.

Around here it seemed that the Roy Rogers resturants switched from Hardees, to Roy Rogers, back to Hardees, and back to Roy Rogers again.

I only know of one Roy Rogers that's around here still, Route 1/Richmond Hwy. in Fairfax. Strange thing was that they were serving Latin food or whatever it was.

Roy Rogers also had that "bird play" (good chicken) also.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 20, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 1:34 PM

Mushrooms on burger -- for when you're in touch with your inner girlie man.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 20, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

That thing was damn good right there. I miss it.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 20, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Here, here...

Also, has anyone tried a burger from Jerry's yet?

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

My visit two weekends ago to Roy Rogers at Middlebrook & 355 in GermanTown:

2 Piece chicken w/ Bisquit - as good as you remember. There's a slight spice to the recipie, not Popeye's level but noticeable & finger lickin'!

Xtra Lg. Roast Beef. ACTUAL roast beef. Awesmoe!

Here's a new twist: Hershey's REAL ICE CREAM Shakes!!

Mrs. Shuttle had the Bacon Cheezeburger & we were disappointed, so stick to the Roast Beef.

The skinny I got from my Sis is that a guy in Fredrick wouldn't give up the franchise when instructed to pick Hardee's or McD's (when original Roy's when out of Biz...). He's been re-building the franchise since then.

mo power tuya

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I still love getting fried chicken from Roy's on a road trip. But to me its a chicken place that has burgers

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Chik Fil A franchises cost only $5,000. That's right - $5,000 total and they're stores are closed on Sunday. But it's competitive.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

mmmmmh... chikfila!

It's like they MADE the waffle fries for dippin in the tha Shake!!

AWESMOE!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

quite the meatwave in dc today...

Posted by: RomoShortball | July 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

If we are gonna move on to chicken. I rank my fast food chicken like this.

1. polo comparo
2. Roy Rogers
3. Popeyes
4. Chick-a-Felet
5. KFC

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I just had the angry whopper, and I am angry at anyone who suggested it......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 20, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

When I was a teen, Roy Rogers was darn near unaffordable when compared to other FF joints. A cheeseburger was about $2 plus you had to garnish your own burger. But when I had the scratch, the Double R Bar burger was my SJK.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

1. polo comparo
2. Roy Rogers
3. Popeyes
4. Chick-a-Felet
5. KFC

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 2:02 PM |

Polo comparo? A Ralph Lauren outlet store. Pollo Campero? The real deal.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 20, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Double R - woo hoo! I hear ya there!

4th - sorry, I shoulda warned a no-go there too. Tried it, didn't like it. Will stick w/ whopper.

And after all this boiger talk, I went to the Caf to stand in the 'which color charred black do you want it' line. Too long - so I had to get a plastic wrapped mini sub & cheeze doodles. eyyyuk.

Stomach still rumbing...

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

eat mor chikin...

Also, has anyone tried a burger from Jerry's yet?

Posted by: p1funk

You talkin' about Jerry's Sub and Pizza?

I didn't know they started selling burgers.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Mushrooms on burger -- for when you're in touch with your inner girlie man.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 20, 2009 1:46 PM

Real men eat mushrooms ... realer men eat them fried.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

the Double R Bar burger was my SJK.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 2:03 PM

That was my regular at Roys. Every time in the store. Did they even sell anything else? And I loved the "Fixins Bar." Only place I ever got enough pickles and onions on my burger. Plus, that horseradish sauce.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 20, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Fixin's bar is also the best part of Fudruckers now. i mean come on. The Liquid cheese, its also great on the fries!

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Chicken are stupid, dirty animals. As a meatstuff, they rank right up there with guinea. Never going to touch the deliciousness of the grass-fed, hooved meats.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Anyone had the All-In burger at Red, Hot and Blue? Niiice. Half a pound burger, topped with pulled pork, onion rings, cheddar cheese, and barbecue sauce. Now that's a heart stoppa.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Real men eat mushrooms ... realer men eat them fried.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 2:07 PM

I read this as "I love my mushrooms and I love them fried." Any connection with "real men" is strictly coincidental. No one has ever seen Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood, Sylvester Stallone, or Gov. Schwarten... say "Please put extra fried mushrooms in my crepe."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 20, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I was going to correct a typo ... but thought better of it. The guinea rodent is an imposter and obviously does not belong in the same category as that delicious other meatstuff.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Men are Pigs
Pigs hunt mushrooms
Men eat mushrooms

Jerry's has boigas. Haven't tried 'em yet. I still shocked they're doing steak sandwiches (they're ok.)

as a youngun all they did was pizza & meatball subs.. pretty much.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 20, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

In and Out burger needs to make it's way out East...

Posted by: P00P | July 20, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Fixin's bars like self-check out lines in the grocery store are for suckas.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I am checking out LaVar and Dukes. I got to say they have okay chemistry. LaVar is not coming off bitter at all.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 20, 2009 2:12 PM

First of all, you should exercise EXTREME caution when even thinking about being present when Chuck Norris is considering food.

Second, as a man, I'm not familar with that last word you are using. Please explain, ma'am.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep. JC is going to be on LaVar's show.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 20, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I have seen "Gov. Schwarten" smoke pot. So I guess Real men, don't eat mushrooms but do smoke pot.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Tou can tell there are a lot of fatties that post on this blog with all these fatuous remarks about burgers. Run, fat boy, run!

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | July 20, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

From back in the day...

Roy Rogers stared selling fried chicken under the Pappy Parker's moniker and it was good

Double R Bar burger was awesome

Hamburger Hamlet over by Montgomery mall was the place for burger variety. They have like a 100+ different burger combinations, don't know if they are still there

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 20, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Real men eat mushrooms ... realer men eat them fried.

Posted by: dcsween | July 20, 2009 2:07 PM

Josh Heytvelt? Are you posting under Sween's name?

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

LaVar is not coming off bitter at all.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

LaVar may not be bitter, but Snyder sure holds a grudge.

(See: Brian Mitchell's firing from 980)

Besides, the only person LaVar has to be bitter toward is his sorry excuse for an agent who "forgot" to check the contract and make sure that precious $6.5million bonus was actually there.

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Peruvian chicken is bomb...but you gotta get it w/ the fried yuca and the spicy green stuff and eat it altogether.

Posted by: p1funk | July 20, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"I loves the new Peruvian Chicken place that opened in Bethesda where Chesapeake Chicken and Rockin Ribs used to be.Posted by: talent_evaluato"

Better than Pollo Rico? Hard to imagine.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 20, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

we Jarmon, and I hope you like Jarmon, too.

Pop Shoe Wah Wah Whoa.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | July 21, 2009 2:55 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, and the Roy Rogers Strawberry Shortcake used to be $.75 each.

Nothing like ridin' high and hittin' the Double R drive through for $1.50... Munchies, Be Gone!

And the anti RR commercials were sweet, too:

"Now, slow down, Cowpoke! We don't fix it Here!
Now you mosey on over there... And fix it yourself."

Low blow by the Golden Arches, but funny nonetheless.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | July 21, 2009 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Did y'all know that Mark Mosely is handling the franchising for Five Guys?

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | July 21, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse