The Early Practice Report (Updated)

Jason Reid reports that everyone but Clinton Portis is on the practice field. We won't know the degree to which key players participated until later, when Jim Zorn talks.

Portis, we are told, was out there, then went inside. For those outside D.C., it's cold and raining, which no doubt makes for a slippery field.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 19, 2008; 11:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Unrestricted Forecasts
Next: A Tough Week in TCCLs

Comments

Festivus for the rest of us!

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

The snow is coming down here harder than Greg Blache on an unsuspecting JLC.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 19, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Feats of strength is scheduled for noon

Airing of grievances is at 1:30

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

OE,

Here you go,

Greatest lines from movies, I got two.

"You a bounty hunter"

"Mans got to do something to make a living"

"Dyin aint much of a living boy"

2nd
"Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave"

"Fights not with you Holliday"

"I beg to differ sir we started a game we never got a chance to finish, play for blood remember"

"I was just foolin about"

"I was'nt and now it's legal"

"Alright lunger lets do it"

Pause

Puff of cigarette

"Say When"

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I would kill for our rookies to be busts like Roddy. To the guy who said he was dropping passes, that's true, but he was catching plenty as well, our guys can't run a 5 yard pattern when we need 4 yards or catch it either.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 19, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Cl - White came in with different expectations than our guys.

White was a top 1st round pick and came in with a contribute now expectation (being a 1st round pick).

The only one really that was expected to get on the field this year AND contribute for us was MK12. The both not so much....

Where's the confusion?

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Cl - White came in with different expectations than our guys.

Where's the confusion?

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Yeah right, that's why the cut Mix and McMullen (against Zorn's desires) so that Thomas could sit the whole year. That makes lots of sense.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 19, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I just hope one of these rook's can step it up and be a starter by next year. If ARE is a starter next season again... this passing game will still suffer. You gotta hope one of them will step it up and be ready mentally and physically after the entire offseason to prepare. But you know its tough having summer vacation from January until July with a few "meetings" in between. This has to be "hard to adjust" to being a young rich person and all...

Posted by: TonyButterFingersHomo1 | December 19, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

JAck, dude was dropping all the key passes...

THEN, AFTER HIS FIRST TWO YEARS THEY ARE WRITING THIS:

I think the biggest problem about this blog is some people don't understand the feelings at tHAT MOMENT IN TIME of when certain events take place, what the consensus of the people viewed AT THE TIME....

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Kelly and Wild Child may both end up being very good.

It's hard to tell when the coach is such an old woman that he's nervous about playing them for fear they'll make mistakes.

I'd bet my house & lot that in his first year Art Monk ran the wrong route now and then, or missed a block or two - and I'm sure he heard about it from his coaches.

That's fine. The only way to learn the game is to do it in real-time. Practice and film-room hours cannot substitute for that.

So if Zorn is conceding the playoffs are not realistic, then he should play Moss, ARE and Cooley sparingly this week and let Kelly, Thomas and Davis get lots of real game experience, not just a play here or a play there, but every down on multiple series.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 19, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

In my mind your talking in circles, but honestly I seriously don't care anymore. Everything Skins sux and soul crushingly depressing....

Happy Holidays 4th, I do like the back n forths w/U!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Mix and McMullen

who picked these guys up?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Vinny just said he was not expecting the receivers to come in a contibute right a way!

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

So Jack, when Roddy was disappointing the Atlanta Fans, you were saying to yourself, 'Boy, I wish I had this guy on my team!'???

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Not sure anyone picked up Mix.

I think McMullen got picked up at some point this season.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 19, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

dam...you are, not your! Yo soy idiot...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I believe both guys are currently unemployed...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I would like to start the Airing of Greivances early today and call out ChrisLarry.

Is this okay with everyone?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Vinny said he will try to move around and get more picks.

He wants to add more young players and give them time to develop.

Dont shoot the messenger.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

PS anyone got a link to the Kareem Moore hit on Ocho Cinco?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Backatcha Truth

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like Vinny has a plan to me. Am I being duped. It's to early to tell just like judging rookie WRs........

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

and Truth congrats on the same joke two days in a row...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

He also said we could see some turnover on the roster depending on certain things when pressed he said maybe up to 14 players.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Cl - Happy 'Holidays' to you as well.....

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Yes 4th, you are being duped.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Thanks ChrisLarry, I didn't think you saw my one yesterday.

I would go for three days in a row tomorrow but I won't be here.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 11:54 AM |

Vinny said this? Cool.....let the speculation begin....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 19, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Vinny said he wants zorn back he has not talked at all about getting rid of him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

As expected I have to chip in on the Ginn discussion from previous threads.

Ginn got the offense just fine last year and got open regularly on routes - especially deep.

The problem was he had Trent 'knockout' Green, Cleo "my QB is a" Lemon, and John "what the" Beck throwing past/over/short of/not at all to, him all the time.

He was also pretty effective on returns after a shaky start, despite our diabolical overall special teams play last year.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 19, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

lol Flounder, are you falling for Vinny talk?

Did he really say he has a plan? Come on, this FO doesn't plan.

The player turnover sounds good.

This is kinda a make or break year for Vinny IMO.

The draft, free agents, and our existing players on the fringe all will determine where this team is going. It could look pretty positive by the end of the offseason or it could look really, really bad. We'll see.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

PS anyone got a link to the Kareem Moore hit on Ocho Cinco?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 11:52 AM |

This is all I could fine pretty good video.

This is the actual hit not messing with you.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

+++Hixon needs to go. If he hasn't sat any of these guys down for some classroom time to get them straight on this offense, then he's not doing his job.

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

Fire the teacher because there's dumb guys in the class? Same logic. If NOBODy could figure out the offense, if all the receivers lined up wrong or ran the wrong routes, I'd agree wholeheartedly.

But it may just be that Hixon has done everything short of standing next to them in the huddle, and the rookies still just dont' get it.

You may well be right, just sayin' we dont' know.

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I was, he would have been a starter over Brandon Lloyd and ARE since his rookie year. You can say Atlanta was disappointed all you want, it doesn't change the fact that his production kicks the crap out of what we've had here from anybody but Moss at the WR position since 2005 so yeah, I would have been very happy with him over the siht we've had.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 19, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

thanks Flounder, very good hit

unfortunately it was DHall getting burnt, oh well

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"After years of suing thousands of people for allegedly stealing music via the Internet, the recording industry is set to drop its legal assault as it searches for more effective ways to combat online music piracy."

Awesome!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

+++Mix and McMullen

who picked these guys up?

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

Same genius who drafted Thomas, Davis and Kelly. Oh for five this year.

Which is fine if you're building for the future, and the kids develop. But if THAT's the case, why do you waste a 2nd and a 6th to bring in a washed up Dancer for one year, two max?

MY biggest arguments against Cerrato is he doesn't know talent and he has no viable plan to build the team.

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I think the jury is still out on Vinny. How much is his hands really tied? And if their not tied right now, he should be given 2-3 years to develop and turnover the team.

I just wish it wasn't to a WCO.....

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Mix and McMullen

who picked these guys up?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse
McMullen was picked up by Seattle, but has been released. Might have been hurt?

Mix has not been picked up by anyone.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 19, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Anybody that is trying to compare Roddy White and Devin Thomas as if their rookie years were comparable is certifiably insane.

Yes White improved dramatically between year 1 and year 3. But he was never essentially invisible on the field. Never. He always flashed ability.

I don't care that Devin Thomas isn't keeping pace with DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal. All I want to see is that sign that he can be a great receiver. Something beyond physical attributes. Show me that you can get separation from a defender (the way Davis did last game). Show me that you have glue hands. Show me that you can out-muscle or out-jump a defender. All we've really seen is that he is a good runner in space. And as numerous kick and punt returners can testify, that is not nearly enough to be successful at the WR position.

Posted by: psps23 | December 19, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2008 12:08 PM

I totally agree. Why hire a coach to run the WCO when your franchise QB is a fairly inaccurate strong-armed guy with a long wind up and your franchise RB is not very adept at receiving.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 19, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Why do you all continue to have hope with clowns like Cerrato running the show? Did any of you hear him on the Radio? He sounds like an idiot...suttering, unable to complete coherent sentences...it is embarrassing.

Posted by: po403 | December 19, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse