The Education Of Devin Thomas

Rookie receiver Devin Thomas, Washington's top draft pick, is trying to make up for some lost time this week, but with just a few days before the season opener Thursday it's going to be difficult. Thomas has struggled to grasp the offense and missed some time with a hamstring injury, but is in line to dress against the Giants, even with Coach Jim Zorn knowing the youngster is not yet in a position to really contribute.

"I'm studying, doing extra film, taking the DVDs home and watching them," Thomas said. "I'm really looking at my playbook so I know what I'm doing when it comes to game day so I can run full speed and know what I'm doing.

"You've got to go over each play and kind of pinpoint in your mind exactly what you have to do. I'm trying to do that so I know exactly what I'm doing."

Thomas ran wrong routes on several occasions in the preseason and also broke off his route improperly, or ran too short or too long. Zorn's offense is based on intricate timing between the quarterback and receivers and everything must be in sync. One misstep can result in an interception, as was the case on the opening offensive play of the preseason finale.

Thomas has been candid about his need to build some trust in the quarterbacks and that need is never more than pressing than now with the results finally counting in the standings.

"I always talk to Jason and try to have him build confidence in knowing where I'm supposed to be," Thomas said. "And I told him, 'My bad' about certain things. It's something I have to keep working on in practice to try to get better.

"I have to get my timing down. I missed some time and my timing is not as efficient as Santana's [top receiver Santana Moss] and everybody else's. So I'm trying to get my timing down with the quarterbacks."

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 1, 2008; 1:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roster Ramblings
Next: Montgomery Doesn't Expect To Start

Comments

Blast it, Alex, you beat me to the beep beep.

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Repost:
Quick grade of the roster:

QB (3): Campbell[C+], Collins[C-], Brennan[D+(but could be a star)]
RB (3): Portis[A], Betts[B], Cartwright[C(B+ special teams)]
FB (1): Sellers[A]
TE: (3): Cooley[A], Yoder[C+], Davis[C]
WR (5): Moss[B], Randle El[B], Thrash[C-], Thomas[C-], Kelly[C-]
OL (9): Samuels[A], Kendall[B], Rabach[B], Thomas[A], Heyer[C+], Jansen[C-], Fabini[C-], Geisinger[C-], Rinehart[C-]
DEFENSE
DL (10): Taylor[A+], Golston[C+], Griffin[B], Carter[B+], Evans[C-], Montgomery[C+], James[C+], Alexander[C-], Wilson[D+], Jackson [D+]
LB (6): Washington[B+], Fletcher[A+], McIntosh[B], Campbell[D+], Blades[C-], Fincher[D (too raw for a higher grade)]
CB (5): Springs[A-], Rogers[B], Smoot[B], Torrence[C], Tryon[F+]
S (5): Landry[B+], Doughty[C], Hamilton[C-], Moore[C-], Horton[C-]

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 1, 2008 1:23 PM

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 1, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

But, hey, I am first!!!!!!! Thongs, all manner of undergarments!!!!!!

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Now isn't that sweet? Alex hands out grades on the first day of class, instead of waiting for the final exam. Man, I shoulda gotten a different professor for this course.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 1, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Even temple garments?

Posted by: farstriker | September 1, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

But, hey, I am first!!!!!!! Thongs, all manner of undergarments!!!!!!

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 1:28 PM

Is this the new WaPo dress code you're talking about?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 1, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I am the only one in my office not much to do today.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 1, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

So after all the offseason upgrades, we go into week one with 'Tana, ARE (and his broken hand), and Thrash at wr.
Kelly will be inactive and Thomas can't run the right routes.

Posted by: Awesome. Just Awesome | September 1, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

From two threads ago:

Since its been brought up. Having an ex-MissUSA contestant as his VP, can the GOP continue to successfully argue about experience on the ticket with out being blown out of the water by their own torpedo?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 1, 2008 11:55 AM
______________

I think we all need to wait to see what Ms. Palin has to say about maps and such as before passing judgment.

Posted by: Xlnt | September 1, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Farstriker back from nowhere. Or is it somewhere? What's your story, farst?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 1, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

TE,

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 1, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Kelly will be inactive and Thomas can't run the right routes.

Posted by: Awesome. Just Awesome | September 1, 2008 1:34 PM

I hate it when that Chad Johnson trade fell through.

Who do you want back? Keenan McCardell? Reche Caldwell? Brandon Lloyd?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 1, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Anxiety-meter:

Elevated

Did I say last winter and spring we should focus on the lines in the draft?

Yes, I did.

Did they listen?

No, they didn't.

Well, who's sorry now?

Eh, we all are. This year could suck big time.

But hey, all the draft pix made the roster, even F+ Tryon. (I like that pat-on-the-back +, Alex.)

Posted by: farstriker | September 1, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Speak for yourself, Alex! beep beep!

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chickenG | September 1, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 1, 2008 1:35 PM

"Professor Zeese, is there any way I can raise my grade? Shouldn't I get partial credit on question #6? Can I do some extra credit work? What things should I emphasize in studying for the next exam? What if my girlfriend comes by your office this afternoon?"

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 1, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

"Much like the front offices of so many teams I will re-asses as the season goes on."

Alex, what grade are you in?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 1, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

20% of the team is made up of this year's poor draft picks. This team offically blows!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 1, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

and

beep beep again

Posted by: Anonymous | September 1, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

People need to keep the politics out of the posts.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 1, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

>>Everyone is going to find out really quickly that Devin Thomas can't catch. He's a body catcher, and he's going to be exposed. Also, please don't allow him run back anymore kicks; it's hard to watch that kind of effort in the return game.

Posted by: chickenG | September 1, 2008 1:38 PM

This is depressing. Since I haven't seen him actually catch a ball, I can't confirm it, but body catching will not cut it. He tried to do that on that first pass in the jax game and we saw the result.

Posted by: AAA | September 1, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse