Redskins-Saints Scouting Report

Well, the weekend is almost upon us, so let's take one last crack at sizing up this game. I spoke to someone who knows the Saints' offense well, and watched film of the Redskins' first game, and here are his observations about what we all know will be a massive chore - trying to shutdown the Saints' attack:

"What they are doing on defense now, it's like night and day from how they looked under Gregg Williams," the source said. "It's so basic now. They're not really trying to hide much. It's like the Colts or the Bears, but I'm not sure they have the players to back it up. There's no Urlacher or Briggs. There's no Sanders or Freeney. It's a very different look now.

"They still want to play man, but you look at the depth at corner and you look at [Saints QB] Drew Brees. If they man up all game, then I think Brees is going to find people open, even without [injured WR Marques] Colston. [Saints Coach] Sean Payton is attack-minded. His mentality is they are going to throw the ball from the first play to the last, but if you watch the Redskins' film you can see that you can run on the ends. With the options in the backfield, I'm sure [the Saints] are going to run at [Jason] Taylor. I'm sure that's a big part of the game plan."

The source expects the Saints to try to get mismatches on strong safety Reed Doughty when possible and wonders how the Redskins will contain TE Jeremy Shockey. Blitzing Brees is a big gamble, because he gets rid of the ball quickly and is adept at avoiding the rush, but if you give him sufficient time he's going to pick you apart. Defensive coordinator Greg Blache doesn't want to rely on the exotic zone blitzes Williams used, but will playing coverage work?

I don't like this match-up for the Skins overall, and if they have to play from behind early I think it could take a turn for the worse for them. Some are calling this a must-win game, but I disagree. Now, if you lose this one, then to me the Arizona game becomes huge given the upcoming road schedule.

As for the offense, I'm a bit skeptical that going shotgun more often will solve much, but if it makes Jason Campbell more comfortable, then I say do it. I also wonder if at some point Coach Jim Zorn re-examines how many line calls and how many pre-snap adjustments Campbell needs to make at the line. Obviously that's a big part of this offense, but I wonder if Casey Rabach can do more of it, or if there is a way to cut back on that at all at the very beginning here?

What do you guys think?

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 12, 2008; 7:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Leaning to the Left
Next: Practice Is Light, with All Accounted for

Comments

Brow!

Posted by: horgin | September 12, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

The only chance the skins got is if they start out ahead early. They need to score a touchdown on their first possession and set the tone.

I agree, they can't win playing from behind.

Posted by: joeblazin | September 12, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Urlacher or Briggs(Flecher). There's no Sanders(Landry) or Freeney(Carter,Taylor). It's a very different look now.

OK sure

I know the Skins suck on offense and they will most likely have a very high 1st round draft pick next year, but jeeze jlc you tubby dork you love to pee all over them every chance you get

d-bag

Posted by: jonthefisherman | September 12, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Or, could it have been that because SSprings was out of the game, that they had to go with a much more basic approach on defense?

Maybe, just maybe, with Springs back in the lineup, could that possibly change their approach?

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Our DB's adjusted to the Gmens scheme and there wasnt much room for the WR's but they did make catches.

As long as Blache is flexible, we can react to an offense and change their approach.

With Colston out the have henderson, patten and bush and shockey. Duece isnt much of a threat out of the back field, so we can key a bit on that.

Patten can be checked by Rodgers or Smoot, Springs needs to be physical with Henderson adn get him off his game.

I would even put Springs over shockey at all times letting Rodger take Henderson. Have LL roaming which does take away the deep ball and the other safety in the box to help the LB's.

Bush is still the X factor. i would expect to throw us off by running bush more. Maybe they stay with him as a pass catcher to begint he game, but if we adjust then they should adjust.

it should make for a great cat and mouse.

For the O it is simple, run, screen get their defense to creep and keep them off balance. If we have it, do no huddle at various times. keep them from keying and subbing.

i would rotate betts and cp more so we can give them multiple looks at differing styles of running.

17-14 SKINS!

Posted by: Zebra | September 12, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Timeout!
Good luck with Ike to John D in Houston...Stay safe.
As you were.

Posted by: Cindy | September 12, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

I think if the Saints try to lean on the run, then they are making a mistake and getting themselves out of what they like to do - which is fine with me. We did not look good against the Giants w/ the run, but I believe that had alot to do with trying to tackle Brandon Jacobs.

With Colston out, I don't mind matching up with their WRs. What killed us against the Giants was Plax's size and all of his post-up routes. He was "covered"; he was just putting the DBs on his hip and using his body Michael-Irvin style to catch the ball. W/ Colston out, they lose their best and biggest WR. We need TURNOVERS off of this team. We need to get to Brees and force fumbles or get him to throw picks and actually catch them.

Yes, I'm concerned about a Doughty/Shockey matchup. What exactly does Doughty excel at that he landed the starting position? Is he supposed to be a great tackler? Or a good blitzer? Does he have solid coverage skills? A hard-hitter or a ball-hawk? When I see him play, it seems like he just runs around in between Fletcher and Landry who make all the plays around him.

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

i think you sound like a tool honestly (and i LIKE you) yesterday Gayle Saye...i mean reggie bush was unstoppable, today its brees?

i agree, brees is a beast and if he has a good game it will be very difficult to win, but you've sung two different tunes in 24 hours?

alsp even though i conceed our LBS are weak, Fletcher is legit and is at least in urlachers league, no?

the defense had 3 good quarters last week, even veing a bit overmatched. you hold SB champs to 16 points on the road and you don't suck.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 12, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 8:00 AM

Good point, Greg. It's hard to run your gameplan with your top corner in street clothes and your best pass rusher at less than 100%. That's why I think that they didn't do nearly as bad as folks make it sound because with all that they still held the Giants to 16 points.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 12, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

John Clayton's 1st and 10 on ESPN.com:

7. New Orleans Saints at Washington Redskins: The Redskins have had a long time to linger over their Week 1 Thursday night loss to the Giants. Jim Zorn and Jason Campbell had a tough opener. Campbell didn't get off his throws quickly enough, and Zorn struggled with some of the play-calling. The 10-day gap between games gives the Redskins time to reflect and focus on their next challenge.

The Saints enter the game realizing their offense won't be the same without receiver Marques Colston, who is out four to six weeks after thumb surgery. Colston usually required double coverage. Now the Redskins can turn extra attention to containing Jeremy Shockey or Reggie Bush. The Saints have plenty of weapons to cover for Colston's temporary loss. Still, the first week of making adjustments could give the Redskins a chance to steal a victory.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 12, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

brown, I think its pretty safe to say that anytime you take away a teams top cover corner, there is a possibility they scale things back in order to compensate for that loss.

The whole, "night and day" quote from above is funny too....I mean, honestly, it just comes across to me as bitter at this point.

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

d-bag

Posted by: jonthefisherman

That wasn't JLa, d-bag. It was still the sources quote.

Posted by: moron | September 12, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

The fact that this team is still unsure about their fundamentals is entirely understandable.

However, I don't remember this kinda crap when Parcells left Dallas.

These guys need to man the SJK up!

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Dont quote a worthless source then. The fact still remains we match up with those same playes on a personnel basis.

Posted by: Stu | September 12, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Turnovers are the keys to this game. If we can hold on to a few picks and win the field position battle, we can squeak out a 13-10 win. Anyone agree or disagree?

Posted by: rich20ssu | September 12, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Anyone think the couple extra days of rest and preparation might be enough for us to steal a victory?

At this point, I keep thinking offense was so bad, how much will our D have to contain the Saints for us to have a chance to win?
17 points? 16 points?

What do you guys think?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 12, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Ray - it's 7. They have to hold 'em to 7.

[:-[

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Control the line ofscrimmage, time of possesion, wint the turnover battle. If you put up more points then the opponent at the end of the game there a good chance your gonna win.

Posted by: John Madden | September 12, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

However, I don't remember this kinda crap when Parcells left Dallas.

These guys need to man the SJK up!

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 8:20 AM

That's because Dallas didn't change nearly as much as the Skins have. Every time this team changes coaches, it does so with NO regard whatsoever for whether the change is seamless or not. For example, changing from Norv to Marty to Spurrier to Gibbs and now to Zorn--those are dramatic changes in offense alone! If you go from say, Marty to Gibbs--not too big a deal (except the terminology in the playbook, of course) because they're both ultra conservative guys who prefer big backs to grind it out. But go from Spurrier to Gibbs--all bets are off.

So some of those complaints are legit.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 12, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Gotta love all the bandwagon that think that cause we cant score points in our first game with a new offense in an overwhelming environment that were destined to 7 point games frrom here on out. have a little faith.

Posted by: Stu | September 12, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

23-20 Skins. book it.

Posted by: That aint no guess, thats what its gon' be. | September 12, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

23-20 Skins. book it.

Good to see we've got some bookies on RI! I'm sure you've got some insider info, so who am I to argue?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 12, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Well okay, let's try this angle. What if the Skins beat the inconsistent Aints by 3 TDs. This board will be whizzing with glee about the excellent prospects of the burgandy and gold. Well I for one am gonna need to see a whole lot more winning going on before I pop a wheelie on my Schwinn. Get to 5 and 2 Skins and we'll talk, until then just keep your mouths shut and bring your lunchboxes to work. I'm takin the Riggins way or the highway.

Posted by: Jake Frizzle | September 12, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else remeber in the preseason how many tipped and batted ball that our d-line and interior lineman were getting. It seemed like every set we were tipping passes. Brees obviously is short and has been very suseptiable to his passes being tipped both in pros and going back to college. With how much emphasis they put on getting the ball in the air we need to put an eqaul dependance on swatting the ball. It will thro off Schokey and Bushes timing, plus when its tipped all bet off that means good night reggie.

Posted by: Stu | September 12, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

JLC you are a troll. Back to your bridge!

Posted by: Um yeah | September 12, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

There he was comin home late, all tired and worned out after decimatin yet another opponant and - like your humble shoe shine boy that he is - Tony stops to help an elderly couple change their tires in a dangrous neighborhood. Ah mean if that don't just bring the tears of pride a floodin what in tarnation will? USA, USA, USA...

Posted by: Slim Perkins | September 12, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking youre scout has no clue what he is talking about. the redskins have shut down offenses before and are capable of it now. its funny how JLC has all the negatives against the skins in there, but couldnt find time to write about any of the skins positives....go cover soccer and hockey JLC, maybe you can write about how alex ovechkins shots on goal are a 1/4 off to the left due to his form even though he has scored a ton of goals like that, or how beckham missed a free kick on a day he scored 3 goals...

Posted by: X-E | September 12, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

p1, if you read the times article, Blache pretty much said that he made a mistake in not playing Wilson, James, and Evans more than he did.

Also, there is a Devin Thomas chat scheduled for 2:30 today.

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

How come everytime he finds a "source" they really rip the Skins apart?

Posted by: Leevi | September 12, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

And he gots a purdy mouth too....

Posted by: Slim Perkins | September 12, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Also, there is a Devin Thomas chat scheduled for 2:30 today.

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 8:49 AM

Nice. I hope he warms up to Fincher. Fincher's play in the last preseason game was, IMO, THE standout performance of preseason (sorry Colt).

A Devin Thomas chat, eh? I'd like to ask him if he got a chance to watch tape of DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal in their first games.

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

"Wide receiver Malcom Kelley is "on his way" in his return from knee surgery, Zorn said. But the coach said the team still may keep him inactive against the Saints. . . ."

What's this all about? Are we gonna see the guy or not? The way they have been hyping him all week, I want to see the guy in the game. M. Washington better suck it up and play too......

Posted by: dlhaze | September 12, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

d-bag

Posted by: jonthefisherman

That wasn't JLa, d-bag. It was still the sources quote.

Posted by: moron | September 12, 2008 8:18 AM

Yea, and his source is probably his neighbor, Bob Smith shooting the S outside the house while cutting the grass.

Posted by: someone | September 12, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu | September 12, 2008 8:28 AM
*********************************************

Hello Stu,
It is true one posted may have to hold Saints to 7...
It is also true that I asked the question, because of our offense.
No bandwagon fan here; Without looking I can tell you most of our season W-L records since 1969!

Now, why did I ask the question then?
Not because I am a bandwagon fan as you unwisely judge me to be.

I ask because in our last 3 pre-season games our first string offense was anemic and sickly at best.
Then in our first regular season game, the offense was woeful at best. And if not for Rock Cartwright's KO return, we get shut out!

So, sounds like my question was based upon sound evidence, and was also confirmed by some other posters that our offense has been dreadful.

No bandwagon; I'll be cheering Sunday as I have since 1969!
HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 12, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

How come everytime he finds a "source" they really rip the Skins apart?

Posted by: Leevi | September 12, 2008 8:50 AM

I think his "sources" are Charley Casserly, Brian Mitchell, LaVar Arrington, Adam Archuleta, GGGGGGreGGGGGG Williams, and any other person who used to be affiliated with the Skins, but feels burned by Snyder. But instead of throwing out names he can say things like "a former NFL GM/executive"; or a "player/coach familiar with the Skins".

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Well from your analysis the Skins have no chance. Good thing they play these games on the field, not in your silly blog. What team made the playoffs last year? Oh yeah, THE REDSKINS. Please don't post anything until you have something constructive to say, mmm-kay?

Posted by: Weiner | September 12, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

RedskinRay1,Three quarters of preseason football and a Road opener is certainly not sound evidence to judge a teams enitre offense. Someone that says they been trackin the skins since the 60's should be aware of that, its called patience obviouly in your aged wisdom you have gained none.

Posted by: Stu | September 12, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Didnt mean to offend anyone if they were labeled a bandwagon the fact is people pile on the team prematurly. I was speaking about the negative bandwagon fan base that the skins seem to have so much of.

Posted by: Stu | September 12, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Hey p1funk,
interesting guess there...
you may be on to something...

I've also wondered if he talks to folks like NFL Network analysts and reporters. They have a large staff of people looking at films etc.

Your idea of Casserly and Mitchell; guys who would still have contacts, and still be in the know....

You may be on to something...

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 12, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, there couldn't possibly be a source outside of JLa who thinks the Redskins aren't that good right? Anytime anything slightly negative about the Skins is typed, it has to be JLa's venom being spit?

You think the rest of the scouts around the league are really heaping praise about us and afraid of playing us after what we've shown the last 3 weeks?

Get your head out of your a@@es and stop drinking the kool-aid. Im sure there are plenty of legit 'sources' that think it will be a long day for us Sunday, and they have valid reason to.

Posted by: Get off his nuts | September 12, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

ummmm i agree with Cl's first post and greg's first two posts up here...dude, the skins match up really really well against the saints. they will do to the saints as they did to the cowgirls at home last year.

cp is the key and i think he'll have a monster game. i said that last game too but who knew that zorn was so raw as to not realize his team's best option. they have to run 65%-70% of the time to win with JC as the QB. play action not just shotgun is his bestest friend. look at ben in pittsburg...

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Get off his nuts | September 12, 2008 9:14 AM

Not to mention more than a few people "up here".....

Posted by: dlhaze | September 12, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Cindy! That's kind of you! I have the day off from that 4 letter word - they don't want us clogging up the roads, so downtown is pretty much empty. Starting to get a little breezy.... :(

Just hope we don't lose power, since the game Sunday is our regional FOX game - also had tickets to SAT/SUN Cubs vs. Astros, so that's out the window, too!

As to the game - I think we'll start to see if the Chesepake Bay Coast offense can do anything this week - I don't think you can judge the offense completely on last weeks game, and I suspect that last weeks game will be remembered as the worst performance of the season...we have too many weapons to look that bad all year long

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 12, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

If you want to hear nothing but popsicle sucking about how the Skins are gonna go 18-1 this year and win 52-0 on Sunday, go to Extremeskins, or some other Redskins fan site created by some teenager. Just because JLC is being objective about our chances (Really, is there any reason to think we should win this game?), doesn't mean he has an 'agenda'. Im a Skins fan and I'm certainly not overly confident about our chances. We have a shot yes, but theres no reason not to see the negative side as well.

Being 'constructive' doesn't mean ALWAYS BEING POSITIVE. Thats what journalism is about. Get a clue.

Posted by: Get off his nuts | September 12, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Ok, first off - 7 was a joke. durrrrr. Usually posts with an emoticon can be assumed to have some sort of humorus slant, no?

and then - this isn't just one game, it's a pre-season, too.

This team will not have offense until they show they can do something underneath, run, flank pass, TE over the middle - anything...

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Man, I just read Jasno's post and I don't understand why the 'Skins are even playing the game? What's the point.

This will be another humiliating defeat and the blog is really going to turn ugly about 4:00 Sunday afternoon, except for Jasno's chirping "I told you so. I told you so."

Then, Monday morning we'll read about "An NFL executive reviewed the films of yesterday's game and the Redskins will never win again and it's Vinny's fault for drafting a WR in the second round. I told you so. I told you so."

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Hey Stu,
Perhaps you are right in your opinion, that I have no patience.
I am frustrated, and I think my years of experience in following this team as closely as I have has indeed instructed me that Jim Zorn appeared to be in trouble.

It is not that we lost one game.
IT is that we evidently did not even have a "two minute" offense in place yet by game one.

I also know that the folks on NFL Network also did not hold back in their analysis that Jim Zorn was not ready at allfor his first game.

And did you see ARE during his post game locker room interview? That was quite revealing...

So, I don't think I am out on a limb here brought about by my impatience.

Stu, I hope you are right, and I hope that this team was awakened by their woeful offensive performance vs. the Giants. They should have been so thoroughly embarrassed that they have united themselves this past week to work toward their offense being a threat to score a few times a game at least!

Perhaps our D can help us and get us a few turnovers...

You did explain that there is a negativity in some who already want to quit on the Skins.
I think you are correct regarding them and yes, those folks are bandwagon fans.
Thanks

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 12, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Hey Stu as in STUpid,

Learn to respect your elders you unappreciative upstart. Men like RR1 preserve the tradition that you have bumbled upon and threaten to malign with your no-it-all youthful, immature brashness. RR1 has forgotten more ball than you will likely ever learn with a disrespectful approach to your elders. Pop the pacifier and listen for a change.

Posted by: Jake Frizzle | September 12, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Prayers are w/ you John D & everyone on the Tex/Lous coasts about to get nailed.

'hunker down' real good. This is going to be a bad one!

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

getoff, my problem with jason is that he can't have it both ways. he was telling us that jc looks like a world beater in pre-season. but when i was watching those games he looked the exact same guy he did last year. and of course now jc is not a good qb because of the system and the fo. has there been a system that jc was good in? when was there ever a player in the history of modern football like last 50 years, that a QB was on one team for 4 years and looked mediocre at best and all of a sudden he went to another team and he was bret favre? and when jc does not work out he'll criticize the FO for picking him.

and he keeps reporting how dumb it is to hire zorn but does not come outright and say "zorn will not be a good hc". but if zorn does not turn out to be a good hc he'll be the first to criticize.

i say take a stand.

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey TE, you are right; games still must be played on the field. Hopefully this team was embarrassed by their performance and will show up ready to earn back some respect.

Hey Dik,
You know, you are right. The offense must show some variety and stretching of the field through both running and passing both vertical and wide.

Hey Get off his nuts,
You too speak truth. The team was so bad in week one, these criticisms are valid, and don't have to be secretive from NFL sources. Watching NFL Network last week, those guys certainly weren't being anonymous in their very strident criticisms of the Offensive Coaching Staff and play.

I offer a toast:
May embarrassment be a great motivator to our Skins this week!

HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 12, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 9:26 AM

Drew Brees

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Thank you - Yeah - I just read the forecast for my zip code - ominous, "Hurricane Conditions" this evening. My part of the city is not under evacuation, since we are North and West, but it's still going to be tough.

My biggest concern about Sunday's game is this: Obviously, what Zorn put into place on Thursday night did not work - not half way, not a quarter way, not at all.

Is he smart enough to make adjustments, and realize that to win games, things will have to be done differently?

Allowing JC to use the shotgun indicates to me that he is.

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 12, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

stay safe john! and i hope you don't lose power. last i heard they were expecting it to be cat 1 when passing over houston.

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

te, agreed, lol.

Cancel this game, as well as the rest of the games for the year, focus all the energies on the draft, which the team will screw up anyway.

Lather, rinse, repeat in 09'. Hey, wait a second, we might be onto something here??

Why bother AT ALL, going forward?? They're just DOOMED, DOOMED I SAY!!!

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I watched the first game again last night on the DVR. Here is what I noticed. The skins got beat on the scoreline many times under Gibbs but never beaten up.

We looked very timid on both sides of the ball. I understand the WCO isn't about smash mouth football but they need to be physical. Much more physical than they were against the Gmen. This is the NFCbeast.

Line up and hit someone in the mouth till they wilt. That is, has and will always be the NFC east.

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Once again didnt mean to offend. i saw a semblance of a 2 miute offense in a two miute situation when we scored at the end of the first have, promising. Im just saying that sometimes your team runs into a perfect storm this being NYG at home for the opener with freakin gap tooth on a stage in the middle of the field hyping the crowd up. we scored the same amount of TD's as they did on offense and yes I understand the yardage production diffrence. The NFC East is the best comprised of the best D's in the NFC. I saw flases of what the O can do we just need to sustain which i think we can do especially against lesser D's which the Saints would be. And please now is the time to bury the preseason, its irrelevent at this point. No disrepect intended just get heated about my passions. And believe me im not out here to stir up people I give my thoughts on a subject I care very deeply for and always will.

Posted by: Stu | September 12, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jason Campbell | September 12, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

ann, please go look up stats for drew brees at SD...

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

My part of the city is not under evacuation,

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 12, 2008 9:30 AM

John D--

Are you sure about that? Someone last night sent me the evacuation plan and I didn't see anything about you being excluded:

City officials announced the official Houston 2008 Hurricane Evacuation Plan:

*Hispanics use I-10 West to San Antonio
*Cajuns use I-10 East to Lafayette
*Rednecks use 59 North to East Texas
*Republicans fly Continental to Washington DC
*Yankees and Democrats use 45 South to Galveston
*Longhorns use 290 West to Austin
*Aggies use the 610 Loop

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

A few randoms, Larry King-style:
good luck to those of you in Ike's path... When I read "Lauren Conrad Signs Book Deal", is it wrong to ask "will she be doing the drawings herself?"... how come M. Washington has to "man up" and get on the field, while J. Taylor is hurting the team by doing so?... I try to live by the 20/20 rule -- if you can envision the O scoring 20+ pts. and the D holding the other team to 20 pts., then you have every right to expect victory. Right now, I'm not sure the O can get to 20, and with the injuries, I'm not sure the D can keep the lid on the Saints -- particularly if the O does the 3-and-out Mambo... I want to see Brooks do well this weekend -- his performance against the Giants was uneven, which is understandable your first time out, but I want to see consistency now that he's seen the elephant.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 12, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Skinz,
I hear what you are saying but my question is, do we have the dogs for the fight? Are our players tough enough to stand to to toe with the likes of Tuck in NY or Leonard Davis in Big D or Shawn Andrews in Phily. I don't think so. We no longer have the wild, tough guys who strike fear in opponents, like Riggo or Manley. I don't think another coach would do much better or much worse with this team. The players are what they are, slightly better than poor.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

John stay safe. I've been through a couple hurricanes during college when I'd spend my summers in Wilmington NC late 90's.

My tips:

Yes beer is good but water is better trust me. However much water you think you'll need double it.

Fill all your tubs with water to the brim this may be the most important. Your toilet and your nose will thank you.

Battery powered lamps.

Board games, cards, etc.

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I try to live by the 20/20 rule

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 12, 2008 9:38 AM

RI 20/20 rule: The Redskins' last 20 draft picks were busts, but the last 20 draft picks of every other team were successes. This is Vinny's fault.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Thanks all - I'm charging the lamps right now...and I forgot about filling tubs!

That evacuation plan - I'm not sure which route I'd take - I think the Longhorn one!

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 12, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Anon,

In 2005 when we were losing we still were beating people down with Betts. I agree that these guys aint the Hogs for sure but it's more of a mindset and it's one that coaches instill. You can talk timing and tempo but football is a violent sport and it's more so in the NFCEast.

I watched the cowboys last week beat up a team for 3 quarters even with pass first and then with their will crushed in the 4th quarter just utterly dominate them. I miss that.

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 8:18 AM

Seriously?

Gregg Williams played nearly half of last season without his #1 corner last year (Carlos Rogers) and his best defensive player (Sean Taylor). Plus they lost another dynamic young player in Rocky Macintosh for 4 games. His defense was still far from basic.

Sometimes I think you guys look for excuses to jump on JLC. Isn't it possible that Blache actually has a different philosophy than Gregg? No, that can't be it. It's all JLC's hate that brings this up.

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Just to cheer everyone up on this football Friday.

Posted by: EsMyDee | September 12, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Skinz,
You make some excellent points - especially about the mindset. I can't help but like Zorn, but I sure wish he was the Offensive Coordinator to Grimm's head coach. Grimm has lived the mindset and wouldn't stand for the timidity we saw in NY. Zorn comes off as an i-pod technician to Grimm's tough longshoreman.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

skinz, i think we underestimated what gibbs meant to this team. i really think they over-achieved under him.

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2008 9:34 AM

Skinz,

You know I respect you up here but this statement is false and I will prove my point.

Oct. 30th 2005 Skins Giants Meadowlands.

36-0

Box scores

R G
1st Downs 7 19
Total Yards 125 386
Passing 87 124
Rushing 38 262
Penalties 10-88 9-73
3rd Down Conversions 2-12 7-19
4th Down Conversions 0-2 0-1
Turnovers 4 1
Possession 20:39 39:21

They should have went to a cooking class that day instead of a football game.

Posted by: Flounder | September 12, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 9:45 AM

Yes, it's possible. But can you conclude that after one game? No.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone give me a brief summary of what former Redskins have had to say about the state of the team and what needs to be done? I have not heard Riggo or Doc or anyone else in some time, and I'm wondering if any former players are more optimistic than I am at present.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"Gregg Williams played nearly half of last season without his #1 corner last year (Carlos Rogers)"

Really? Carlos is better than me? Good one....

Posted by: Shawn Springs | September 12, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 9:45 AM

And the second half of this -- the JLC part: Is it possible that JLC is really just an unbiased reporter doing his job with no axe to grind? Yeah, it's possible. But can you reasonably conclude this after reading his posts for two years? No, you can't.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to reserve my judgment of JC for one more game, but if he stinks it up again this game then I'm going to start up the Collins bandwagon.

Talented passer? No doubt, likely near the top of the league with regard to physical abilities.

My concern with JC is his mental ability to handing everything. Being able to see the field QUICKLY, assuming the role of making adjustments re defense and initiating audibles.

These are the mental aspects of playing QB in this system, and time is running out for JC to master them.

Posted by: RambleOn | September 12, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I have an idea....why don't we (the Skins) simply contact every team on our schedule and tell them we are forfeiting the game...and they can chalk up a win - we will not even play.

EVERY post from JLC is NEGATIVE. We can't pass, can't rush, can't tackle, can't cover, can't sack...can't do anything. The opposing teams QB is the best....their RB is dynamite....their defense fierce...and on and on. We are doomed. Why even play the game?????

Posted by: Lisa | September 12, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The fact of the matter is that the defense is above average and can more than hold their own, IF the offense could sustain drives and turnover better field position. So, if the problem is offense, what's the fix. It's easy to pick on the quaterback, but let's face it, if Jason had not been injuried there would have been no playoffs last year. So maybe turftoe for Jason is the fix (I'd hate to see anyone get a serious injury). I'm sick of hearing the same excuses that Jason has played in so many different systems that he has not had an opportunity to develop. I say that he should be very experience at adapting to offenses by this point. Jason has the arm but just doesn't have that field awareness, confidence and leadership that all great field generals have and I don't think he ever will. This has to be his boom or bust season for Jason. Many thought that Gibbs reached to draft him in the first round afterall. The 49ers even seem to have come to grips with their situation at quarterback and at some point so do the skins. On the plus side, Brennen has the look of a young Farve...I'd hate to see him get beat up behind our aging line. The next 2 or 3 drafts must target O line. Todd Collins can be the man one more time and bring Brennen in next year. Did anyone see the frustration shot of Collins on the bench last Sunday, he silently knows he could have carried the team down the field.

Posted by: DEE | September 12, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 9:54 AM

Anon,

I listen to DOC everyday, he is the same as always. The players need to step up and play he said they played very soft in the Giants game. Said they should be embarresed for not getting up for a Div. game.

He also says scheme does not mean crap unless the players can block and tackle.

He thinks they can turn it around but it is the players that have to do it.

Riggo is on the radio alot hard to tell were he stands I think he beleives Jasno does not have that killer mentality it takes to lead a team, says unless he picks up his intesity he will never control this football team.

Posted by: Flounder | September 12, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"As I said yesterday, I'd also like to see guys like Chris Wilson, Demetric Evans and even Alfred Fincher on the field a bit more. I remember a time in the not-so-distant past when it looked like our D was swarming to the ball on every play. I don't see gimpy vets (Taylor, Washington, Rocky) playing with that smash-your-face-reckless-abandon. This Saints squad strikes me as more of a finesse team, and if we can come out and set an NFC East tone on D, get FedEx excited, I see good things and I think our offense will feed off of that.

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 8:41 AM "

Sean Taylor.

Posted by: The Truth | September 12, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Skinz,

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 9:40 AM

Yes, we do have the dogs for the fight. Last year to end the season we proved it (with essentially the same exact personnel returning). Our d-line dominated arguably the two "toughest" offensive lines in the game (Minnesota and Dallas). We held 2 pro bowl RBs to a combined 23 yards in two games. Springs, Smoot, and Landry went shot for shot with Romo, Manning, and Hasselbeck and more than stood their ground.

IMO, last game was completely on Zorn. He seemed to have the complacent attitude to where it just seemed like practice to him. It showed in the mismanagement late in the game, and it showed in his post-game press conference. His demeanor carried over to the team during the game. That's unacceptable. His first priority this week needs to be fixing this.

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Hey TE,
I know I shouldn't have but I laughed and laughed reading your evacuation route post...
Hilarious!

HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 12, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DEE | September 12, 2008 9:59 AM

Last week the defense was on the field for 35 minutes and still held the Giants to only 16 points. Of course, the Giants are cream puffs and the Saints are, well, they're canonized.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Dealer and Anon I agree.

No worries Flounder I never let little things like facts get in the way of my opinions. Good pull. Thank you for proving what I always say my Football IQ (To be truthful my IQ in general) 0.0

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Ray,

It's a sad day when we feel guilty about laughing at a good Aggie joke.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Exactly, psps23, exactly - he looked like he was still operating in pre-season - "well, we'll just keep trying this thing, get some practice in" - especially in the last 6 minutes - Just an alternative theory about that last 6 minutes - Zorn called no time outs during the drive at the end of the first half - and we saw what happened at the end of the game - is it possible that he is SO intent on the game plan that he had no idea that the game in the 2nd/4th quarter, and he needed to save some time?

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 12, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I guess Jasno's sources aren't from Vegas - they still have the game as a coin fglip.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 9:54 AM

Haven't heard Riggo in a while.

I caught Doc on the radio after the NYG game. Doc is pretty old school about the whole thing. He basically lays the blame at the players feet. He thinks that alot of the talk about front-office politics and "learning a new system" are, generally, excuses for players who either lack the attitude or the talent to line up in a game and just beat the guy across from you. I get the sense that he thinks there is a sense of entitlement/coddling among some of the "stars" on the team. He didn't like that starters like Portis were held out of preseason - it just sets the team/offense back in terms of getting in game shape, chemistry, etc. His philosophy is this: Because no one on this team has delivered a ring, everyone is replaceable; regardless of contract or star status. So there's no reason to protect or favor certain players.

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

PSP,

I agree and like I said I truthfully believe it's a mindset. Bill Walsh totally disagreed and certainly his resume is just a hair better than mine in the football world but he always had a good QB. If you have a good QB you can do alot of things with finesse and others. If you lack that I still think you line up and try to punish the other team.

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 8:41 AM "

Sean Taylor.

Posted by: The Truth | September 12, 2008 10:01 AM

Word.

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

People it is easy to rip on Zorn, but lets give the guy a couple of games before we beat him up to hard. If he does not start to get the playcalling and time management down then things will get interesting.

I think a veteran team should have been ready to play no matter what is going on with the coaches, the O-Line should be able to run block, if I am the coach.

Players on this team get off to easy it is always the coaches fault or the FO's fault.

I take the word of former players over all the anaylyst and all of you, and what I am hearing is the players need to step up and play no matter who the coach is.

Posted by: Flounder | September 12, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2008 9:56 AM

Do I think JLC is friends with and likes everyone in the organization? Of course not. Clearly he has issues with certain people, particularly Vinny Cerrato.

But do I think he has "an axe to grind", or has some overall plot to shoot down the Redskins whenever he gets a chance? Absolutely not. He calls it like he sees it. That may not be as favorably as everyone here wants it to be, but tough sh!t. That's his job.

Is it a coincidence that a vast majority of national sports media outlets/analysts give deep criticism of the Redskins? What, does every one of them have an "axe to grind" too?

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Good comedy

Posted by: Zebra | September 12, 2008 6:29 AM

Thanks, Z. A little harmless humor to put a smile on somebody's face in this craZaZy world of ours.

Although I think the name puddles would have been more appropriate...

Posted by: Zebra | September 12, 2008 6:30 AM

Now you had to ruin it. My dog, my name.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 12, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

P1,

Thanks for getting my DOC Walker point across for me, you said it much better then I did.

Posted by: Flounder | September 12, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"Right now this team to me should line up and do what they can to hurt people (metaphorically) so they can run faster in the fourth quarter. It may make games close but it seemed to work 2 of the last 3 years. All that starts with coaching philosophy and I don't believe that the WCO and physical play are mutually exclusive."

sorry but gimme a break. You were prolly one of those people begging for us to throw it downfield and wondering just what the heck Gibbs is doing with his stupid, played out, oldschool gameplans!

Redskins fans are way too fickle!

Posted by: The Truth | September 12, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Really? Carlos is better than me? Good one....

Posted by: Shawn Springs | September 12, 2008 9:55 AM

Check the archived stories after week 1. Springs started as the nickel back to begin the season. Rogers was GG's #1 corner last season. Springs and Smoot rotated starting on the other side.

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Hey p1funk,
interesting guess there...
you may be on to something...

You may be on to something...

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 12, 2008 9:10 AM

It only stands to reason. No offense to JLa (though I playfully rip him, I've got nothing against him), but he's not exactly a national heavyweight in terms of NFL reporting. His "contacts" have got to be the guys that he gets to know through his coverage of the Skins. There's been quite a revolving door for years with the Skins in terms of coaches and players, and plenty of them leave with a bad taste in their mouths - leaves him with an ample supply of "contacts".

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

P1,

Posted by: Flounder | September 12, 2008 10:12 AM

I read your post after I had already posted mine. You were right on. We pretty much said the same thing.

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Hey p1funk,
And that is why we welcome your analysis on the RI.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 12, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Hail,
Sadly I will miss the game due to an untimely funeral in Western Mass.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 12, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 10:11 AM

You want to go with the "sure, he's a monkey, but he's not the only monkey?" I remember when the "vast majority of the national sports media" were after the Duke lacrosse team. Or when the "vast majority of the national sports media" were after Sean Taylor.

"The vast majority of the national sports media" are like a pack of wolves or sharks. They smell blood and they attack. They don't think, and they aren't independent. It's an instinctual reflex.

Read Jasno's post above and explain how the betting odds are even money.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I only did that because just like Jla, I have an axe to grind, but only mine is with certain players. Lavar comes to mind, Springs was another guy I punished because of my HUGE ego. Its not about them. Its about ME

Posted by: Gregg Williams | September 12, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gregg Williams | September 12, 2008 10:20 AM

Thanks Greg,

This is exactly why I am glad you did not get the head coaching job because everything is about you.

Posted by: Flounder | September 12, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Blache needs to be honest with himself and what he sees.

Jason Taylor is a liability out there for 50 snaps with his knee injury right now. It's better having Evans out there at 100% than Taylor out there at 60%.

The pass defense will improve with Springs back from his calf injury and that should allow the Redskins to take some more chances blitzing up the middle. Carter is consistently getting double teamed on the outside on passing downs which means there are vulnerabilities inside if the team brings numbers.

McIntosh has continued to struggle in all phases of the game. If he is not 100%, why not platoon on the outside with Fincher?

Fincher as a new player may have some catching up to do in the system, but he couldn't get on the field for 10-20 plays and help this defense with his speed and ability to pursue in the run game?

Posted by: Roy Hobbs | September 12, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Redskins fans are way too fickle!

Posted by: The Truth | September 12, 2008 10:13 AM

I'll give you a break on this one. Since when can't you play smash mouth football and throw it down field? Again just to be clear for all you yokels who's family tree is just a stump. I'm not talking gameplan I'm talking mindset.

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

If Gregg Williams became our Head Coach, he would probably have cut half the starters on both sides of the ball and replaced them with guys off the street claiming that he was smart enough to win the games through his coaching.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 12, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but this team needs a little Vince Papale.

Where's their motivation? There's certainly enough negativity (exemplified perfectly here). But where can they look for inspiration? Where's the little guy who plays his guts out? or the wiley vet looking to make a last stand.

Sure, we have personalities, but we are lacking character! I can see CP searching for this in interviews.

The automaton that Soup has become - soulless. Smoot & Rogers jabber almost incoherently... Cooley has no sounding board.

Who are we looking to, folks? Clue me in!

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

P1,

Posted by: Flounder | September 12, 2008 10:12 AM

Posted by: p1funk | September 12, 2008 10:16 AM

I agree with Doc on players preparing themselves mentally as well. If you look at it, the reliable vet guys actually did this during the game. Portis was a beast, as always. Same with Fletcher. Jason Taylor, as poorly as he played, made a statement by gutting it out.

The guys who particularly did NOT give me that sense of mental and emotional preparation were the younger more influenced guys, or the guys with uncertainty coming off injury. Golston, Montgomery, Heyer, Campbell, Macintosh, Rogers, Landry. The only other guy I can remember, and who has no excuse, was Cooley (but I trust he'll be back in the right mindset). These guys all got blown off the ball, or blown up by an opponent, or just downright looked like they had negative confidence. That is where Zorn comes in. He doesn't need to be there to fire up the veterans. He needs to be there to make sure his young guys are ready for prime-time.

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Anon,

I read that seems like CP is calling out the O-Line and JC, for not having any running room. But then he also praises JC so not sure how to take that article.

Posted by: Flounder | September 12, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Sean Taylor.....and I am NOT saying it's a good thing he's gone....but can you guys imagine the amount of money the FO would have needed to come up with to keep him around? I believe this year would have been the final year of his contract, and we all know how terrible the FO is at proactively offerring good deals to keep our best players. He would have commanded (deservedly so, IMO) the highest salary for any safety (if not player) in the league, and there would certainly be other teams out there willing to offer him the mega bucks that our salary cap stiuation would not afford us to. It is already known that he was unhappy about the contarct he signed as a rookie.......How freakin terrible would it have been to see him in a different uni next year, cuz I really don't think, were he still alive, that he would still be a Redskin in 2009 (or 2010, whenever his rookie contract was up). Again, I am not saying his passing was a good thing, but I would be pretty stressed about his contract situation right now. Pretty stressed indeed.

Posted by: dlhaze | September 12, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

San Diego 27 Denver 21
NYJ 22 New England 17
Pittsburgh 28 Cleveland 19
Baltimore 23 Houston 13
Philly 28 Dallas 24

Posted by: FAB88 | September 12, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

i heard cp say that on the radio yesterday...he's deff throwing jc under the bus. and cooley threw jc under the bus too. :) (yes, yes...i know...lemme have it)...

but i think cooley said something like "there were plays where i was open and didn't get the ball..."

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Well, I think they finally did it. They broke CP. He's sounding like 'double move' now... excuses and explanations.

The sad part is, he didn't have to go there... it's not like anyone watching the games doesn't know this...

Oh well...

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Flounder and P1,

Thanks for passing along Doc's interesting perspective. That man has never been afraid to call things like he sees them. He reduces the game to its essential elements, beat the man in front of you and make no excuses.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"The Source" (cue the 24 music)

Once again, with the anonymous league sources.....

Posted by: Jah | September 12, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

you guys think the players want todd collins in? (i'm just asking!) cuz to me it's sounding like they do. they're rembering last year and know what he can do.

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

FAB,

I'm with you on most of your picks but I would like to know why you think the Beagles will be the Boys, in D on a Monday night. I can't see that happening.

Posted by: Jake Frizzle | September 12, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I think they want Soup to look underneath a bit - and call some shifts to throw the D out of the box. I've heard them say exactly that.

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Dealer, I believe the players do want Collins behind center. They sense JC's deer in the headlights approach, and they lose their swagger because of it. Collins is a bit more of a fighter and that puts a spring in the step of both players on both sides of the ball. They want to win and they want to be led.

Posted by: Jake Frizzle | September 12, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Jake Frizzle ,
to answer your question..i didnt know it was is dallas so i reverse my pick...
Dallas 28 Philly 24

Posted by: FAB88 | September 12, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh I can TOTALLY see that. Iggles will be WAY UP for this one!

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2008 10:19 AM

Sooo, you are saying they all have an "axe to grind." It's not founded criticism, it's a conspiracy. Got it.

"Or when the 'vast majority of the national sports media' were after Sean Taylor."

Um, I don't really remember this, unless you were referring to when he was put on trial. As much as I love ST, that was fine criticism.

If you were referring to when he was shot, the "vast majority of national media outlets" were NOT after Sean Taylor. Some were asking questions, some were sympathetic, and some attacked ST. Very similar to what we found here in our own Washington Post. None of those were a "vast majority".

What about Jasno's post above is NOT feasible criticism? His source said Blache's defense looks much more cut and dry than Williams' system. That's not a criticism. That's an observation on the style of play. He gives two examples of extremely good defenses to compare it to.

Then he said the talent doesn't match up. Wouldn't you agree? Who would you rather have right now, Jason Taylor or Dwight Freeney? Bob Sanders or Laron Landry? Briggs or Macintosh? Urlacher or Fletcher? I love our guys, but everything stated above is true.

The source says if you watch film (or just remember the game), you can run on the ends. He said he expects the Saints to try and run at Jason Taylor. Is that false?

He says they'll try and mismatch Jeremy Shockey on Reed Doughty. Don't tell me you think that's an even matchup.

He says blitzing Brees, a top 4 QB in the game, is a gamble. False?

Just because he doesn't like this matchup with the Saints, everyone wants to jump on him. Get a grip. Realize that the Skins aren't the greatest team of all time right now. This team, with Zorn as HC, has proven nothing other than what was shown last Thursday. That's what we're getting criticized for.

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Jimmy Z will learn to spend more time coaching and less time mountain biking around Ft Belvoir with a national disgrace like Bush.

Posted by: McBushIsALiar | September 12, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Fab,

I rarely have much impact on people, so I must say that I am quite moved that my simple respectful question has led you to actually change your opinion of the Phi-Dal game winner. Thank you Fab. Thank you for reminding me that I am somebody and my opinions are meaningful.

Posted by: Jake Frizzle | September 12, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

From Shrager's article on fox, "Though he's undoubtedly one of the best signal callers in the NFL, the Saints' Drew Brees historically has struggled against the Redskins, tossing no touchdowns and four interceptions in his career vs. Washington."

Here's to hoping Zorn's drill for DB's pay off and the trend of 'owning' Brees continues. Can't say I see it happening but history is on our side.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 12, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Cinci vs Dallas, otherwise now known as the Crime-Bowl.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 12, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

psp, disagree with you about ST. In the early stages, there was RAMPANT speculation about the events surrounding ST's untimely passing. Len Shapiro went as far as to tell SI, that in hindsight he wished he had more time to RESEARCH the piece he wrote. Wilbon claimed that ST 'refused to distance himself from his past', despite the fact that Wilbon neither followed the team, nor did he know the first thing about ST, and given that ST didn't talk to the media, HOW IN THE HALE, would Wilbon come to this conclusion?? SI went as far as to say the exact words, "so much for resting in peace" in their article they wrote about him.

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

He says blitzing Brees, a top 4 QB in the game, is a gamble. False?

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 10:49 AM

Blitzing Brees is a gamble: True.

Brees a top 4 QB in the game: False.

I'd say he's a Top 4 FANTASY QB, but if the games are real I'd take Peyton Manning, Brady, Big Ben and McNabb ahead of him. And I'm pretty sure there's a couple others I'm not thinking of.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 12, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

psps23, JLC does not like the Skins matchup with ANY team. Never has, never will. I agree we have looked bad the last few weeks - that is true - but JLC loves the fact that we are looking bad and loves writing about it. That's what ticks me off more than anything.

Posted by: Lisa | September 12, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

no problem jake..thanks for letting me know the Game was in Dallas, i didnt know that

Posted by: FAB88 | September 12, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I say there Frizzle Son, I say son you're doin it all wrong. You got to get yourself a little more self belief their boy. Lift your head up and put your shoulders back. Walk and talk like a true Redskins fan son and your days can only get better.

Posted by: Foghorn Leghorn | September 12, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

OK sure the skins D will have their hands full. How about the offense? The saints were bad against the pass last year. Are they improved? Will the skins vet interior line be able to take advantage of the saints rookie DT? Maybe they get Portis going and keep the saints offense off the field.

Posted by: skinswest | September 12, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

BTW, if ST was alive we would have re-negotiated his contract for whatever he wanted, with a ton of bonus money.

Why,

Because Gibbs would be head coach right now and not let ST leave.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 12, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 10:54 AM

Right, but for all that, you also had JLC (the man everyone here loves to hate) posting and writing GLOWING articles about ST. Same with, I believe, Mike Wise, Sally Jenkins etc.

It was the same in the national media. For every SI article attacking him, there was a counter piece citing his changed ways. There was no unique view on ST, and no majority opinion on him.

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

LOL...the Crime Bowl...where the refs carry shotguns and both teams wear the pinstripes...while the Warden watches the game from high up in the booth.

Posted by: Bud Jackson | September 12, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,

I don't know if JLC likes the 'skins looking bad but I don't know if he see it any other way. I swear if the 'skins were a sunny day, he would be telling us about the 10% chance of rain.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 12, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Why,

Because Gibbs would be head coach right now and not let ST leave.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 12, 2008 11:01 AM

-----------------

Whatever, Gibbs would've left the 'Skins and their fans high and dry anyway. Like the liar that he is. He would've done any/everything in his power to speak at the GOP Convention.

Posted by: Pat Robertson | September 12, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

psp, again, agree to disagree.

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bud Jackson | September 12, 2008 11:02 AM

Well the Bengals would be in their all orange, already look like prison outfits. And Dallas does have a lot of strips in their uniforms..

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of saints vs skins, how bout the NFC?

New York Giants 10-14
Philadelphia Eagles 10-16
Dallas Cowboys 8 -14
Washington Redskins 7-14

Posted by: Zebra | September 12, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, well down here we'd call the Skins-Saints the Sissy Bowl. Bust a gut on that one bureaucrats.

Posted by: North Dallas 40 | September 12, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Last time we played them in 2006

Dal - W
Phi - W
NYG - W
WAS -L

Does this mean anything? Probably not. just wanted to look something up I guess

Posted by: Zebra | September 12, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pat Robertson | September 12, 2008 11:03 AM

News flash, Most the NFL coaches are probably Republicans.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 12, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Roy,

Check out the other paper and it says that Blache def is going to be rotating the D-Line a lot more this week, due to the heat and trying to keep them fresh for the 4th.

Posted by: EsMyDee | September 12, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | September 12, 2008 10:57 AM

Disagree, Lisa. Last year, during and after our run to end the season, he was LOVING this team. I remember him saying that man-for-man we were better than the Seahawks, but their home stadium posed a serious threat (which was true). Then he said he loved us going to Dallas if we were able to get out of the first round. I particularly remember that, how the last team Dallas wanted to see in the postseason was the Redskins. He didn't make any excuses for Dallas the last game of the season. He called it like he saw it, which was that the Skins flat-out beat them in every aspect of the game, with their starters in (unlike how the 'Boys fans seem to remember the game). If he truly had an axe to grind, that would have been the perfect time to do it, by providing excuses for the Skins being so dominant at the end of the season. He didn't do that. IMO, he calls it like he sees it.

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Foghorn Leghorn | September 12, 2008 10:58 AM

Does anyone else find themselves reading Foghorn's post in the Foghorn voice, I do it is fun post some more Foghorn.

Posted by: Flounder | September 12, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Blitzing Brees is a gamble: True.

Brees a top 4 QB in the game: False.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 12, 2008 10:56 AM

Well he didn't say he was a top 4 QB, that was my touch.

And there's no way I would take McNabb over Brees. Big Ben, maybe, depending on the offense being run. Brees is a stud, and in my mind the 3rd best QB in the league right now (although I think Cutler could take the leap into the elite this year).

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Palin's gonna fire half of you in her first week on the job. She'll be firing pink slips out of a cannon when she gets to DC. Yeee-Hawww

Posted by: North Dallas 40 | September 12, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

psp, are you out of your mind?

Posted by: Carson Palmer | September 12, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

psps23, I totally disagree with you. I promise you if we win on Sunday (which I sadly do not think will happen) JLC will make it sound like a bad win.

Posted by: Lisa | September 12, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

LaCanfora has no axe to grind. He seems to understand that the Redskins want to control the information out there and that there is going to be some natural tension there, but all-in-all he presents pretty balanced reporting. Is he always right? No. But I don't think he makes things up.

I'm sure his job would be a lot easier if the Redskins were consistently contending for the division and making deep playoff runs, but everything isn't candy-canes and lolly-pops in Ashburn these days, so he can't report it that way.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 12, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

psp, are you out of your mind?

Posted by: Carson Palmer | September 12, 2008 11:13 AM

Before your knee injury, I would have absolutely put you up there. Since then, I'm not sold. Check your stats and your team's records since that injury. Not up to par with what we're talking about.

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Lisa. I'm thinking if the Redskins win, it will be, 'the Saints who were missing their #1 wideout Marques Colston', or something along those line. Some excuse as to WHY the Saints lost, not giving credit to the Redskins for winning.

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Um....psp, what am I chopped liver?

Posted by: Tony Romo | September 12, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: North Dallas 40 | September 12, 2008 11:13 AM

Dude, most of the people here don't work for the federal government. Skins country runs through D.C., Maryland, Virginia, and parts of North Carolina, so I don't really know what you are getting at.

Just another Cowboys fan enjoying September I guess. For my part, I'll take the Redskins, who get BETTER after Thanksgiving, over the 'Girls, who start their long, slow choke every Turkey-Day any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 12, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Greg, that is complete BS. Jla even gave the defense some credit last week for adjusting. I am koolaid drinking all the time for my team but it doesnt influence how i read and comprehend what others say... or write or blog...

Posted by: Zebra | September 12, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm a 'Cane. I live in Miami. I followed all of the ST jazz as closely as I could.

ST did not distance himself enough from his past. He lived in an unsecure neighborhood, close to his extended family & friends.

He put his and his immediate family's life at risk in an attempt to remain 'normal'. This was a fatal mistake.

In a gated community among other high-profile people, he would have been safe.

It's a tragedy that could have been prevented if he'd grown up just a bit more.

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

No Tony, you aint no chopped liver...you's an American Hero, the headmaster of Boy Scouts all over the world...someday we's gonna make you the Goberner of Texus...you tire changing, stranger-helpin, touchdown-slinging genius!

Posted by: Slim Pickins | September 12, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

PSP hit the nail on the head. No way Carson Palmer is an Elite QB since that Injury. I'm not sure I'd put him in the top 10 right now. Don't ask me to name 10 better QB's either cause I won't ;)

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

zeb, whats bs?? How I think jla will write if the Redskins win?

Thats called my opinion chief....

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, Greg - sho u right.

But is that really a stretch? Don't we have a LOT more to prove than just about any other 0-1 team besides the Rams or Dolphins?

I think this Skins team can do great things.. but I also think that isn't likely given the performance now.

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you on that, Flounder.

I also "mentally read aloud" your comments in Stephen Furst's voice (the original Flounder), and I read Slim Pickens' comments (which I heartily enjoy) in the late actor's voice.

I usually read my own comments in the voice of James Earl Jones, or sometimes John Facenda.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 12, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Brees is easily top 5 QB in the league, doubt him on Sunday at your own peril.

Key to victory from a defensive standpoint is limiting Brees. And the OFF needs to run, well and often to keep the ball from Brees.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 12, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Um....psp, what am I chopped liver?

Posted by: Tony Romo | September 12, 2008 11:19 AM

Until you win when it counts, yes.

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I want to see INTENSITY!! Everyone with their head in the game. I dont want to see Samuels looking into the crowd clowning around and sticking his tongue out at somebody. When you're down and clawing to come back you need to be agressive and MEAN. I don't want to see guys smiling on the losing sideline! That is football 101, be intense, aggressive and try to kill your opponent for 60 minutes. Campbell is always like "Aw Shucks" when his line throws lookout blocks. He needs to step up and lead. Do you think Theismann would take that crap, or Doug Williams? He needs to get fired up. Also, does the line not have less confidence in him than they do in themselves? When your QB is down you pick him up even if you have to yank guys off him. And whatis this adjustment crap? The season is on girls and its not getting any easier. Its time to get rid of a lot of these clowns like Randy Thomas, old guys like Kendall and Rabach who couldn't block my mother and I have no idea what anyone sees in Samuels, how does he make the pro bowl, cause he's a nice guy? Someone needs to step up an pull a Parcells move and kick some ass. This team is mired in apathy and mediocrity. If you spend the duckets you better get talent in return. Myself and all other true fans seem to be more upset than the players when they lose! I guess those big paychecks soften the blows. I would rather have the team go with a youth movement, go 3-13 and play with some heart and intensity than to watch this crap any longer!

Posted by: baker51 | September 12, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I just read the boswell article... great on spot and insightful. Truely shows how much JC has to learn, and if he is dificient in areas the coach isnt helping him any by loading other things on him to worry about..

Posted by: Zebra | September 12, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Its creepy when I read Nate in the PDX's posts I read them in the voice of JEJ too. For myself, its one of the narrators for Ken Burns' documentaries of the Civil War or Morgan Freeman.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 12, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Can I please have the voice of Tony Clifton?

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Brees scares me. Their running game...eh, not so much. Yeah, Bush can make plays in space. So what...Portis and Moss can too. Key is not letting Brees roll.

John D in Houston- All my best. That Ike is a nasty looking sucker.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 12, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

ey guts 3 teef in me mouf.....2 ov em is green...da udder 1 iz grey....my bref is strate nazsty

Posted by: Slim Pickins | September 12, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I hear myself in the rich mahogany tones of Orson Welles. Unfortunately I also have his belly.

Posted by: Bud Jackson | September 12, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

or Don Rickles - that'll work too.

Posted by: Dik | September 12, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: baker51 | September 12, 2008 11:29 AM

baker,

Good post I agree I would rather loose everygame, and get these young guys who play hard some experience, then watch most of the vets not give a sh!t.

Posted by: Flounder | September 12, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Condolences to you, Alex. And John, forget lamps -- you need power to blog, dude.

Posted by: Cindy | September 12, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and beep beep.

Posted by: Cindy | September 12, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I think Campbell is the best QB in the league and I also think Zorn is among the best coaches. When you look at it logically from that perspective the Skins should win this game.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

London Flethcer is going to be big. He had 17 total tackels last week, 12 solo, that was the most in the league. Our D will be straight, I'm worried bout the O line.

Posted by: BMAC | September 12, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who is discouraged at the writing we have here at the post? Its awful. La Canfora essentially writes a blog but really doesn't add anything to it. We have no columnists cause they all went to TV. And there is no one to make the fans excited or upset about the skins at the Post. Meanwhile redskins.com is also worthless. Where did all the good writers go? You'd figure the post would have found someone to write a column that was worthy. But they have failed.

Posted by: worthless | September 12, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Let's be realistic folks, what JLC's source was saying was pretty accurate. We know the Saints have a terrific offense. We know we, right now, have a mediocre defense that has the potential to improve. I'm always surprised by how many people are so blinded by the kool-aid that they think that any criticism of the Skins is blasphemy.

The Saint WILL run at our DE's, any team would considering that Taylor is no where near 100%. And if you give Reggie Bush the edge, watch out. He will be the fastest player on the field.

Any team will try to match up a big receiver (Shockey) against Reed Doughty, they win that match-up any day.

The Redskins don't have a Freeney in his prime or an Urlacher in his prime, they were both DOMINANT defensive players. Fletcher is a good, solid LB and a great tackler. I would hardly call him dominant.

Yes Springs is our best CB, but if you remember,the Skins were talking about moving him to Safety because of his diminishing physical attributes. He's not as young or fast as he used to be.

I am worried about stopping this offense. They are a better offense than the Giants. But they also have a weaker Defense, and we can and must score on them early and often. We will not win playing from behind, as JLC pointed out.

I'm not a hater. I will have my skins jersey on and cheering my guts out like everyone else come 1pm Sunday. I am also realistic about the greatest football team in the history of the world.

Posted by: JS in L'Enfant | September 12, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Flounder. BMAC, Fletcher is always big. He is the only bright spot on this team of underachievers. Worthless, I am the answer to your prayers but no one will hire me.

Posted by: baker51 | September 12, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I can think of several teams that looked worse than the Skins did in week one, but I guess the season is over according to most outside of Washington. Well, except for JLC, who rails on them every chance he gets. Why can't we have a reported that is a homer like all the other teams have? I am tired of JLC taking out everything he has against Vinny and Danny on this post. The defense actually did pretty well considering Springs loafed it AGAIN! (Get your butt in the game and play!) and JT is trying to play hurt. They played well after the 1st quarter, even with Smoot as a liability at corner. Offense has got to call better plays. Portis up the middle? How stupid can you be? Get him on the edge, how about a half back pass to randle el or a reverse? They didn't even try on offense. Zorn, how about a boot leg with some pass options on 4th and 1?!

Posted by: hoopdawg3 | September 12, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

hoopdawg, I am clearly in Washington. I am a home town fan, I grew up here. I don't think the season is over. I know we have 15 games left. I am just nervous how many of those 15 games we will win with the product that we saw last Thursday. As far as sports reporting, you don't want homers in that category. You wan't people like Wilbon who will cover your team and give you unbiased information. Skins fans are already drunk off the kool-aid enough, we need someone to have a sober voice out there. And again, please show me where JLC is "bashing" the redskins falsely.

Posted by: JS in L'Enfant | September 12, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think that Collins' success last year was due to the fact that he had studied the same SJKing playbook for 7 years? I mean come on, in the preseason, he looked just as bad as Cambell. There is a reason the dude never started a game for that long, and was a career backup...he's not that good of a QB!

And all the talk about how super smart he is, to me, just another example of "packaged" stories designed to sway the readers opinion of the truth. It seems like alot of post stories focus on building up the credibility of certain players.

F Collins and his high I.Q. He did a super job of dumping the ball off at the end of last season....congrats...here's a huge(for backup QB) contract for you sir. And btw, ur bread and butter is gone....instead of 7 years to learn a new system, here's 7 months.....

Colt is gonna finish this season I'm sure. Who gives a rats SJK if he's a green rookie. Didn't Peyton go 3-13 his 1st year? Isn't Matt Ryan a rookie? To me, Colt seems tough enuf to take a few hits, and the spark he provides to the team can't be measured, but surely noticed.

I say give Cambell till week 8, and if he's not producing, put in Colt to start his acclimation to the pro game, have Collins do what he has made a career out of...BACK UP THE STARTER.

At the very least, we get a good draft pick, and Colt gets some exp. Cuz mark my word, he will be our franchise QB in the near future.

Posted by: gimmydatpot | September 12, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: baker51 | September 12, 2008 11:58 AM

What happened with LeCharles Bentley he was a OG that got dropped and I believe he was a pro-bowler ?

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | September 12, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

they don't have a chance

Posted by: Vincent | September 12, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

What do we think? We think you're a fat, obnoxious, loser who clearly has a vendetta against the Skins and makes up b.s. "sources" at every chance. These are the same "sources" that have called the Skins a lousy team for the last several years, even on their way to the playoffs 2 out of the last 3. Does anyone else ever notice that these "sources" NEVER have any sort of positive things to say about the Skins? This "source" is talking about the Saints as if they've been a perennial playoff team and the Skins as if we haven't won a game in years. Someone remind me, were the Saints a better team last year? How about historically? Give me a break, someone get rid of this clown LaCanfora, he's not good enough to write for my high school paper and the fact that these morons in charge over at the Post continue to give this guy a paycheck is an absolute joke.

Posted by: Jimmy Cracked Corn | September 12, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

d-bag

Posted by: jonthefisherman

That wasn't JLa, d-bag. It was still the sources quote.

Posted by: moron | September 12, 2008 8:18 AM

If you really believe this, then you really are a moron. Ever wonder why the "sources" of JLC always rip the Skins? Uh, because the "source" is JLC himself. Duh.

Posted by: Jimmy Cracked Corn | September 12, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Get off his nuts | September 12, 2008 9:14 AM

You are a toolbox. Nobody would say anything if there were a believable mix of good and bad things said by "sources" but this is clearly not the case. Is this your first time reading your son's blog?

Posted by: Jimmy Cracked Corn | September 12, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | September 12, 2008 9:59 AM

You're onto something, girl. You know, I bet these same "sources" probably think the Ravens are on their way to the Super Bowl now after beating the Bungles in week 1. Oh wait, that's JLC's team. Hmmmmmmm

Posted by: Jimmy Cracked Corn | September 12, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Jason Campbell proves that he is not an NFL quarterback.

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

It is time to get rid of Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder !

Posted by: Gary | September 12, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"I agree overall, but I dont think we are a vanilla defense. We were in the first Quarter and 1/2, but I saw good ZOne Blitzes as well as Safeties blitzing. It may not be Zero coverage blitz with Springs and Rodgers blitzing, but there will be enough looks."

Oh for heaven's sake... They changed their playcalling once and suddenly they aren't vanilla? Containment didn't work and they (smartly) changed to blitzes. Gregg would have made it so you couldn't tell what was coming next, not split the playcalling into two halves, give or take.

Consistency in play names? Sure. Consistency in playcalling? Apparently not, and it's for the worst.

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 13, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse