The Forecast, the blog and Twitter

I liked the earlier forecast much better. The Capital Weather Gang is calling for a 60 percent chance of precip and Dan Stillman says that, while there may be some lulls in the rain, "periods of soaking showers and a few thunderstorms are a legitimate threat leading up to and during the game."

By now, you know the drill; you don't need no stinkin' preseason. We'll be BOGO and TOGO (you can follow @RedskinsInsider or @hyperskins). You can also sign up for Redskins mobile alerts by texting REDSKINS to 98999.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 28, 2009; 5:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins' Defense Prepared for 'a Real Test'
Next: M. Williams, Rogers, Cartwright Out

Comments

Does posting Beeps entitle me to go FIRST!

Posted by: TheCork | August 28, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

1) First Team offense puts some TDs on the board
2) Devin Thomas looks good returning kicks (which I hope leads to the coaches seriously considering replacing Rock with Mason or Dougherty
3) Defense forcing the Pats offense off the field (3 and outs, turnovers--I'm not choosy)
4) No injuries

That's all I need to see tonight....

Posted by: smurff11 | August 28, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robertg238 | August 28, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

p1funk, ignore that guy. He's delusional. Everyone knows you're a right wing d-bag.

Posted by: mack1 | August 28, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

You either flatter yourself or overestimate my memory. I have no idea what your politics are. Doesn't mean I didn't call you out, but I call out the posting, not the poster.

Posted by: TheCork | August 28, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I both flatter myself, AND I overestimate your memory.

Why do you have to create a false dichotomy?

It doesn't have to be an either/or issue...

For real, Cork. You attack and name-call the poster all the time.

And next time you go on a lefty-rant toward me, I will clip and save this little post and remind you that you indeed "don't know my politics".

And mack1, if you want me to play the role of the right-wing d-bag, that's fine. I'm happy to play counter-weight to the left-wing d-baggery of others...

Posted by: p1funk | August 28, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Smurff...the Rock is solid (no pun intended) I need to ARE replaced on punts. Otherwise I am in complete agreement with your goals for the evening.

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | August 28, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

1) First Team offense puts some TDs on the board
4) No injuries

That's all I need to see tonight....

OOPS-- meant Dorsey, not Dougherty in 2)

Posted by: smurff11 | August 28, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

There are alot of things we don't know.

Posted by: p1funk | August 28, 2009 5:54 PM

What we do know is that he could have been charged with 3rd degree possession. This was the prosecutor's call. And, in this case the mayor of New York had publicly intervened with the goal of seeing Plaxico be treated worse than most people:

He was railroaded with the help of the mayor of New York. The most troublesome aspect to the Burress case is the actions and words of the arrogant millionaire blowhard bully, Michael Bloomberg, who poisoned public opinion with his pleas that Burress should, in Bloombully's words, go to the slammer.

It would be an outrage, Bloombully screamed, if Burress received special treatment. Yet isn't that exactly what Burress received, governor? Wasn't he punished more harshly because of his celebrity status?

The statistics demonstrate the laws of New York aren't always evenly applied. Burress was charged with second-degree gun possession, which requires a minimum of 3½ years in jail. Yet prosecutors in your state, Mr. Paterson, commonly drop the charges to third-degree possession, which doesn't carry a minimum prison sentence.

This discretion, as several media reports and legal analysts have stated, allows prosecutors far too much leeway in deciding who is worthy of a reduced charge and who is not.

When the mayor opened his pie hole it all but forced prosecutors to go for jail time when there is compelling statistical evidence that some cases similar to Burress' have ended with defendants doing little or no jail time. Thus in many ways, Burress' celebrity status was unfairly used against him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

left-wing d-baggery of others...

Posted by: p1funk | August 28, 2009 6:06 PM |

I believe that is referred to as "pinko commie faggoetry"

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | August 28, 2009 6:08 PM

++++++++++++

44, I hear ya. I think the answer to your (and my) ARE-punt-return-problem is Dorsey. I like Rock, but we need a 'changeup' back in the fold. I think that means wither Dorsey or Mason -- and I'd probably lean toward Dorsey.

Posted by: smurff11 | August 28, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

BOGO & TOGO are my favorite! I can't wait to see what mischievous capers those little scamps get into tonight.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 28, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey MistaMoe,

Wilkinson was a bust for Cleveland.. but not so when he came to us, dude.

15.5 sacks in his first 2 years with us.. and that 88 yard TD romp.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 28, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Always good for a laugh it's Scamp's Newradio clip of the day!

Enjoy!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2009 4:35 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"I believe that is referred to as "pinko commie faggoetry"

Posted by: scampbell1975"

Not to be confused with Massive Corporate and Bank Welfare and Bailouts, Indebting the Middle and Lower Classes For Eternity..

Posted by: frak | August 28, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

So your issue is with Bloomberg and not the DA.

Posted by: p1funk | August 28, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I believe that is referred to as "pinko commie faggoetry"

Posted by: scampbell1975"

Posted by: frak | August 28, 2009 6:21 PM

Sorry dude, I couldn't help it, I swore I would stay out of political discussions because I can't be trusted to be civil. But be clear, Obama's cronnies did all that bailing out and have our debt soaring. Now I'll leave it alone...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | August 28, 2009 6:16 PM

TOGO's on the bubble. In fact the 'Skins may not even play TOGO. If he gets hurt tonight they have to put him on IR or pay him an injury settlement.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Things I'm Interested in Regarding Game Tonight

1)Passing game comes together
2)Passing game comes together
3) Passing game comes together
4) no injuries
5) Sam Huff's senile/funny comments

For real, I don't care if the defense looks awful, if Rayner/Suishy go 0-8 between them or if CP throws a sideline tantrum about having to be in for more than 2 plays.

I care about 1 thing tonight: seeing a decent passing game.

Posted by: p1funk | August 28, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Wilkinson ..... and that 88 yard TD romp.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 28, 2009 6:17 PM
+++++++++++++++++
Men that big were not meant to run that far. I thought he was gonna drop from heart failure after that run....but I loved it....

Posted by: smurff11 | August 28, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

So your issue is with Bloomberg and not the DA.

Posted by: p1funk | August 28, 2009 6:21 PM.

Look, you think Plax was treated fairly. I don't. Agree to disagree.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Wilkinson was a Bengal flop, like Ki-Jana Carter and Akili Smith, before joining the skins.

All I remember from that time is he and Dana Stubbafield collecting checks and the skins having a porous defense.

Bryant Young, the other tackle from that 1994 DRAFT list, was an excellent player.

Wilkinson's size and gird is what made teams keep him around. The guy was a poor man's Haynesworth.

Put the 'in-hindsight' glasses on and ask which tackle was worth the risk: Bryant Young or Dan Wilkinson?

I'd take Young time after time after time.

And that 1994 Draft, talk about talent, Faulk just for starters.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 28, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

1)Passing game comes together
2)Passing game comes together
3)Passing game comes together

P1funk, I'm having a hard time figuring out what you want to see tonight. Can you expound a bit?

I'd be happy if two of your three choices actually showed up.

OK, I'd be happy with even one of them.

Posted by: smurff11 | August 28, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

"...hello redskins fans i got how bout brandon marshall for devin thomas and afourth round pick?"

How 'bout 'no,' 'hell no,' and 'wtf' are you talking about?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 28, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Look, you think Plax was treated fairly. I don't. Agree to disagree.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I think Plax was treated according to the law, and I don't think you crucify a DA for that.

You crucify a DA for being ego-driven and corrupt like Mike Nifong.

"Law" (what the statute says) and "equity" (the issue of "fairness") are 2 different things.

Posted by: p1funk | August 28, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 6:10 PM

I agree that Burress received an harsh sentence. It was only after he turned down the first offer on the table. It still doesn't sit well with me the way prosecutors handled it.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 28, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975"

Blaming the economic crisis on Obama?? There are many needle disposal programs available in most urban areas..

Posted by: frak | August 28, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

needle exchange, hahahaha..anyway..

Posted by: frak | August 28, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975"

Blaming the economic crisis on Obama??

I most certainly am NOT blaming the onset of this economic crisis on Obama.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Wilkinson ..... and that 88 yard TD romp.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 28, 2009 6:17 PM
+++++++++++++++++

Posted by: smurff11 | August 28, 2009 6:26 PM

LOL Darrell Green had to escort him all the way! Awesome sight!

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 28, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 28, 2009 6:31 PM

Gee, do you think? My contention is not that he was treated illegally. It is that he was treated inequitably. When two people in identical circumstances receive different sentences, that is unfair. And Plax, because he was a celebrity, received a harsher sentence than others who had done similar things.

You don't agree. Fine. Agree to disagree.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

1) First Team offense puts some TDs on the board
4) No injuries

That's all I need to see tonight....

Posted by: smurff11 | August 28, 2009 6:05 PM

Right. Let go of a pro-bowler Rock for Mason? Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Posted by: abxinc | August 28, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I heard of a man doing 25 years in federal prison for defrauding people he knew personally to the tune of $5 million. Stallworth gets what, 30 days or so, for DUI manslaughter. And Plax gets 2 years for shooting himself with an illegal hand gun. There isn't really a national standard for fair, so how can any of us expect to agree?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 28, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Rock Cartwright continued to perform as a solid special teams player, kickoff return specialist and reserve running back in 2008. Entering his eighth season, he ranks second all-time in club history in kickoff return yards (4,464). His 2006 kickoff return yardage total of 1,541 bested Brian Mitchell’s previous team mark of 1,478 in 1994. Cartwright played in 16 regular-season games in 2008 and as the Redskins’ primary kickoff returner, he totaled 51 kickoff returns for 1,307 yards (25.6 average) and added 14 special teams tackles.

How Acquired: Selected by the Washington Redskins in the seventh round (257th overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft

Posted by: abxinc | August 28, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Aw man...all this legal mumbo jumbo ya'll talkin'...

Two years for shooting yourself with a gun in club...

I'd have given him 6 months in jail, 3 years probation

BUT...

You know how they do they do tha' brothas!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

no talent...when you're BLACK and a celebrity you receive a harsher sentence and before ya'll say i'm playing the race card...look up statistics on disparities in sentences between the races....

BUT BACK TO FOOTBALL!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 28, 2009 6:43 PM |

Let's get it straight, he didn't get 2 years for shooting himself. Those were BOTH consequences of breaking the law that states you can't carry an unregistered firearm, which he did.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone see JC being traded if the season is tanked by week seven ?

Posted by: redonmyskin | August 28, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

What are the stats about commition of crimes and race?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

beepage.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 28, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

BUT BACK TO FOOTBALL!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 28, 2009 6:44 PM

I bet Stallworth would disagree with that statement.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 28, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

You don't agree. Fine. Agree to disagree.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Look, my initial beef was about going after the DA.

Do I think Plax was treated "fairly"?

My answer is "I don't know".

If reports are true that he turned down initial offers that involved several months in jail plus community service, then I don't feel bad for him at all. You cop, you cooperate, you get a better deal - that's fair.

If the DA and Bloomy sat around and talked about how much they hate Plax and how they want to stick it to him in particular and make it especailly tough on him, then that's pretty raw.

Like I said before - There's alot we don't know.

Posted by: p1funk | August 28, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

scamp, re-read the post you quoted, "...with an illegal handgun".

To put this in relative terms to my Ohio guy: Stallworth would have gotten his sentence for stealing $16,666.67, and Plax $400,000.08 for his (to scale for years in prison vs. money stolen). Whacky.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 28, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

jc keeps his job if we trade for brandon marshall broncos get devin thomas and a fourth rounder this will make up the trade champ baily and cp

Posted by: robertg238 | August 28, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

jc keeps his job if we trade for brandon marshall for devin thomas and a fourth rounder this makes up the trade champ baily and cp

Posted by: robertg238 | August 28, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse