Landrys' Reunion Will Have to Wait

Redskins safety LaRon Landry started looking forward to the game against the Ravens the moment the schedule came out, looking forward to facing his brother, Dawan, for the first time as a pro. Dawan is a safety for the Ravens, but he suffered a serious spinal injury early in the season and is out for the year. He is expected to make a full recovery, but with the Redskins and Ravens only meeting every four years, the on-the-field family reunion has been delayed.

LaRon was taken sixth overall by the Redskins in 2007; Dawan was a fifth-round pick the year before who quickly rose to a starting spot on one of the best defenses in the NFL. Dawan and Ed Reed, as well as LaRon and Sean Taylor, formed two of the best safety tandems in the league last season, and the Ravens believed their Landry was primed for even bigger things in 2008.

"We really miss Dawan," Ravens Coach Jim Harbaugh said. "I would say Dawan Landry was having the best offseason and then into training camp of any player on our football team. He was, I think, going to have as good a season as any safety in the NFL would have had this year.

"And we'll get him back next year, but I was just so disappointed for him for that to go the way it went, because he had prepared so hard to have such a great year. You see the two brothers play, and they just remind you so much of each other. They're both very similar type players and they're both great people."

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 4, 2008; 9:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An Unrestricted Preview
Next: The Final Flacco Post of the Week

Comments

Why not?

Posted by: tafka | December 4, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

D. Landry's on IR.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 4, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Laron is my boy...but he was definitely LATE on that hit on the Tight End of the Dallas game...

The Source Meter still owns this community...

Posted by: jmicrodoc | December 4, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

They sure have cleaned up Avery's comment now! Only in Canada...

With reporters in Calgary waiting to speak with Avery about disparaging remarks he made last month about Flames star Jarome Iginla, he walked over to the group, confirmed that cameras were rolling, then said: "I'm just going to say one thing. I'm really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada. I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my (former girlfriends). I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight."

Posted by: captjim | December 4, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Laron needs a big game after last weeks debacled.

He needs to be shutting down TE's not letting them run free....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Truth, regarding your post on the previous thread, I can relate. I dated a guy from Baltimore a few years ago - he lives in Baltimore but works in DC. Every time I mentioned Redskins he would rage and say "I HATE the Redskins!". So I started hating the Ravens. Had nothing against them before that time.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 4, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Getting back to the "rivalry" thing, as a Maryland taxpayer, I've always disliked the Ravens. The sweetheart deal the state gave them, including millions in walking around money for Art Modell, was ridiculous, then when the Redskins asked for help with roads and sewers for FedEx (seemingly a government responsibility, at least more so than what happened with the Ravens) it was a huge struggle to get any help at all.

Posted by: PatM1 | December 4, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I think LaRon is playing well. He isn't The Tarantula, but who is? Guys like Taylor come along once in a generation maybe.

When I think about how well this defense is playing, it makes me sad (and angry at the idiots who broke into his house) to think just how much better they'd be if ST were still roaming the secondary.

It would probably be the best secondary in history, with Springs, Smoot, Rogers, Hall, Landry, Horton and ST rotating.

That's a lot of talent. And ST's contribution - instilling fear into opposing receivers - cannot be underestimated.

I don't care what some of these guys (T.O., Toomer, etc.) may claim in interviews now, I have seen the tapes of them when ST was playing, and they were scared spitless of him.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 4, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

So... it's probably safe to say that a Redskin fan's level of antipathy toward the Ravens can be directly correlated to that fan's amount of interaction with Raven fans.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 4, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

The "inferiority complex game" over Battle of the beltways.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 4, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Nate I think thats fairly fair.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 4, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Battle of the Beltways is media-driven hype.

The fact that the teams are in different conferences pretty much kills any possibility of a heated rivalry.

I mean, how often do out-of-conference records determine a tie-breaker for the playoffs? I can't recall the last time it happened.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 4, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Probably just as well, lest Laron's brother makes him look like a punk with better play.

Posted by: stwasm | December 4, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

More than fair, Nate. I didn't really care until I started dating a Ravens fan and now I am adamantly anti-Raven. We're going to the game together. Could be a relationship ender...

Posted by: The_Doc | December 4, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

yes if the Ravens were in the NFC east this would be a awesome rival potential but they are not and it wont be.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 4, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The interesting thing is that all the hostility and hate is caused by Ravens fans. The Redskins fans are innocent of hatred until they are infected by Ravens fans. Lot of hate emanating from Balmer!

Redskins fans are not "turn the other cheek" types. "You hate my team, then I have to hate yours!" Once we've all dated Ravens fans, then we'll all be poisoned with Raven-hate.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Actually, out of conference records aren't even a tie-breaker, I don't think, because if you're tied when you get to THAT point, you'll be tied in out of conference records, too

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | December 4, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone say the league is not really just about money?
Posted by: Rypien11

What did you think the league was about, Ryp? Just curious.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | December 4, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

NFLPA files grievance on Burress' behalf...probably mostly just to get him his $$$; it won't bring him back this season/postseason.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 4, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with the assertion that Landry is having a good season. I am a big fan of his but he has missed tackle after tackle because he is always going for the monster hit and often missing BADLY. Very evident in the game last week against the Giants. Of course, the big hit is a huge part of his game and the intimidation factor which goes with it but he has to do a better job of picking his spots.

All the talent in the world but this guy has to make sure he doesn't turn into the next Roy Williams. He is being asked to play a lot of DEEP outfield to protect against the long ball which the team has done a great job of doing but he has to be a more consistent tackler and be more of a playmaker. He has one forced fumble (big play vs Rams) and one interception which came right to him against Seattle and that's it. Maybe his hamstring injury which kept him out of the entire preseason set him back pretty far for the year. What do you guys think?

Posted by: Skins211 | December 4, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone say the league is not really just about money

Posted by: Rypien11

Gee, and I thought it was a charitable organization like the Red Cross or the NCAA. Or a non-profit like the NRA or the Smithsonian. This really bursts my bubble.

But the good news is that I was planning on making a generous contribution to help them out, but now I realize it wouldn't be tax-deductible.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 4, 2008 10:37 AM

NFLPA does almost nothing to help retired players with their football-related medical expenses, but they're there to help Plaxico. I wonder how many of the NFLPA dues-payers support this use of their money?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

te, agreed on the NFLPA, I'm not a big Union guy to begin with, with this even less....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Had this morbid thought last night. Two Skins players, (and Dan Snyder) and their professional fates tied with the death of Sean Taylor.
Had Snyder made a respectful offer to re-sign Ryan Clark, the Reapers best friend and fellow safety they would not have signed the Golden Arches...Sean would not have gotten injured playing Philly last year blah blah blah....
If you get my ridiculous drift...Snyder and his greed and lack of football acumen inadverntantly contributed to putting Sean in position to be killed.
F-n reach I know but Snyder should have these thoughts.

Bah Humbug