Trent Williams' potential: an assessment from Oklahoma

The main knock against left tackle Trent Williams before the draft seemed to be the questions surrounding his work ethic, commitment to the gym and practice habits. We decided to seek out someone who would be in position to address these concerns: Jerry Schmidt, Oklahoma's director of sports enhancement whose duties are similar to those of a strength and conditioning coach.

On one hand, Schmidt made clear that Williams has incredible potential. On the other, well, we'll let Schmidt's words speak for themselves.

"He's one of those guys, he's definitely not a gym rat. If he was, there wouldn't be anybody even close to him," Schmidt said. "If he really committed himself, it wouldn't even be close. He'd be the best ever. That's how much talent he's got. There's a lot of talent there that he just hasn't tapped."

Schmidt said that Williams walked on campus as a freshmen and immediately impressed everyone with his abilities.

"He's got a lot of natural, God-given ability. He's got great feet, balance, which allows him to play both guard and tackle," Schmidt said. "Even as a young player, you could tell right away how talented he was. He has a great upper-body, just real natural strength. You look at him, the way he runs, there's not many athlete that big who can run like that. He's a very talented guy."

The key, he says, is maximizing that talent. That will take a sincere personal commitment from Williams. Some people around the league have questioned whether a big contract and an immediate starting position would push Williams to work hard as a pro. But Williams is already talking about Pro Bowls and Super Bowls, which you don't earn by simply setting foot on the Radio City Music Hall stage and holding up an NFL jersey.

"My biggest thing with him, right now he's got the talent to be the best that's ever come out of here. He was one of the best," Schmidt said. "If he put his mind to it and really went after it, the sky's the limit for him. He could go to the Pro Bowl as many times as he wants. But it's on him, how hard he wants to play, how much he puts into it, how good he wants to be."

At the NFL Scouting Combine in February, Williams blew scouts away with his sprint times. On the bench press, he lifted 225 pounds a total of 23 times. For a comparison, Russell Okung, with longer arms, did 38 reps.

"If he committed himself a little more, like I said, whatever he puts his mind to, he can do. If he decides he wants to do 35 reps off the bench, he could work towards that and he could get there," Schmidt said. "It depends on how much time and effort he wants to put into it.
He's going to be as good as he puts his mind to be."

Washington Coach Mike Shanahan said that he consulted with Oklahoma Coach Bob Stoops prior to the draft. Schmidt said he's also been in regular contact with members of the Redskins staff. He praised Williams's feet, his punch, his balance and quickness. Schmidt says Williams "has got it all."

The goal for Redskins coaches will be to maximize all of it.

"They knew what he's all about it. I told them," he said. "I mean, I told them this guy is capable of great things."

By Rick Maese  |  April 27, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
 | Tags: Trent Williams, Washington Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Landry clarifies his comments about playing linebacker
Next: And now we exhale ...

Comments

Capers at right tackle and Williams at left tackle. I like it.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 27, 2010 6:06 AM | Report abuse

Well, if anyone can turn Trent into a gym rat, Shanny can. This one is on him. He must feel confident he can motivate the guy. If not, he cannot say the "buyer beware" tag wasn't front and center. I understand his logic in picking Trent over Okung, but personally, I prefer polished and blue collar work ethic over athleticism and "upside" every time.

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 27, 2010 6:08 AM | Report abuse

Agreed kenboy...I probably would have gone Okung if the pick were up to me, but at this point I'm just glad to get someone with some pedigree at LT. Hopefully, we don't live to regret the pick.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 27, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

However, those four wins are coming from beating which teams? Split the division? I doubt it.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 27, 2010 6:16 AM

I don't see why not...Dallas is overrated (as usual), Philly will be taking a step back without McNabb, and the Giants are a question mark as their defense is starting to fade. NFC East is wide open now and I don't see why we can't win at least 3 games in division.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 27, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Is anybody at the Washington Post interested in letting us know who the Skins have signed as undrafted free agaents ? Anybody ? Bueller ?

Posted by: LMichael1 | April 27, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm just saying...I felt like the rest of the division bettered themselves with the draft. I still think they (division rivals) are better teams today then we are at this point. I don't see us splitting the division. If we do, great I'll have some crow please.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 27, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

2ndtier, I think building thru the draft makes you better in the long run, not necessarily right away. The Eagles loaded up on pass rushers, but I doubt ALL of those guys have immediate impact.

Two things help you win in this league: an elite coach and an elite QB. IMO, we now have both...or at least the best coach and QB in the division. I doubt it's good for a division title this year, but I'd be surprised if we're still in the NFC East basement.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 27, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LMichael1 | April 27, 2010 6:45 AM

There was a post about that Sunday with a list of names. You can go back and read it yourself. But I don't think the Redskins have announced all the UFAs yet. They usually wait until they've finished, and it looks like they're still poking through the ashes of the draft to sign guys.

Posted by: League-Source | April 27, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Brown
Same can be said about the redskins draft then.
If that's the case then do you think McNabb will stay on his feet better then JC? Not trying to be smart but Shanaman and Co. may be an improvement to the coaching staff but last time I checked coaches don't win games players do.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 27, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Brown
Same can be said about the redskins draft then.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 27, 2010 6:59 AM

Will McNabb stay on his feet more then JC:

Better O-Line check
Quicker release Check
Better at moving in the pocket Check
Better at reading defenses check

Yes he will be on his feet more then JC.

Coaches might not play games but coaches decisions have a lot to do with wins and losses don't kid yourself.

Zorn's dumb decisions cost us 4-5 games last year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 27, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

How fast was John Riggins? OK, but that wasn't his game.

Look at "Larry Brown Redskins" on Youtube and you'll see how to measure heart. Take a look and imagine players today doing that. Their agent would pull them out of the game.

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 27, 2010 2:24 AM |

Shows what you know. Riggins was a state track star in high school and once he got in the open no one caught him.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 27, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 27, 2010 6:59 AM

While I believe the D takes a step back this year, I don't think it'll be bad. The offense will be light years better. I don't think this team going 8-8 and 3-3 in division is a stretch at all.

Again...I understand being punch drunk from the combination of high expectations/low results we've been fed over the years. I totally get that. But I just don't get why you're so down on a completely different regime than the one who fed us that crap sandwich for so long.

New GM, new coach, new QB. All of which with meaningful results on his resume. Embrace the change, dude!

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 27, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Zorn's dumb decisions cost us 4-5 games last year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 27, 2010 7:05 AM |

Zorns lack of discpline and preparedness cost us a few too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 27, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Zorn's dumb decisions cost us 4-5 games last year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 27, 2010 7:05 AM

Yeah, that "swinging gate" garbage still gives me nightmares. I never imagined there could be anything worse than the Spurrier years, and then comes Jim Zorn...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 27, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 27, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

but last time I checked coaches don't win games players do.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 27, 2010 6:59 AM

You ought to go check again.

Posted by: League-Source | April 27, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Dude? Funny.
It is refreshing to see the change. Your confusing me with someone else but thank you for thinking of me. Yes I'm tired of crap sandwich's. That said the point is I don't see us going 8-8. I still feel like the division teams are better then we are at this point.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 27, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Zorn's Accomplishments as Redskins' Coach:

1. Invented Z-Shades
2. Threw his big balls at Jason Campbell
3. Biked with Dubya
4. Ran innovative "swinging gate" play (twice...in a row)
5. Got "consultant" promoted to offensive coordinator in 1 week

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 27, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Memo to Angelina "We'll dominate our division" Hall:

Baby Steps...That's a pretty bold (stupid) statement considering the 0-6 he and his teammates were last year.

A single win in the division would be an improvement.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 27, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I still feel like the division teams are better then we are at this point.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 27, 2010 7:23 AM

Probably true. And I'm not necessarily debating that. But there's a difference between being the better team and winning on a given Sunday. And I think we're good enough to beat our division foes at least once even though they may finish better in the standings. I mean, didn't we sweep Dallas one of their Super Bowl years even though we were awful? Didn't their one victory in their 1-15 season come against us even though we were a playoff team?

This division is going to be close and competitive. We probably don't win the whole thing, but I like our chances to at least make a move up now that we have an edge at QB and Head Coach.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 27, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

I think we will see the difference a real coach can make with the Skins. I love Joe Gibbs, but I think he was rusty and out of touch with the modern NFL after coming back following a 13 year lay off. To do what he did with the Skins shows he is probably one of the greatest coaches ever in any sport. Shanny is a hall of fame caliber coach who understands the modern NFL. During his off year he worked regular office hours and reviewed game film. He will be able to hit the ground running.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | April 27, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

"Trent Williams' potential: an assessment from Oklahoma"

So let me get this straight: a guy is assessed as having Top 10 NFL Draft worthy ability, but because some pikers say he's not a football hoe, his desire can be questioned?

Please.

UF's Carlos Dunlop is the only person or thing I saw whip up on Williams.

And let's not allow the media become the other.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 27, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

New QB, new coach, no way to go but up.
6-10 is where this started and I don't know where the 6 wins will come from but I will never predict we will win 4 games in our division this year.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 27, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Ugh. I pinched myself this morning and, sure enough, it's a rainy Tuesday in Connecticut. Dang.

Ok, here we go.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 27, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Guys, guys. You're losing perspective here. Last year at this time, the team was run by VINNY CERRATO and coached by JIM ZORN! We started from rock bottom when Allen and Shanny got here. Debating whether we're gonna dominate our division is premature. We've been waiting over a decade just to be relevant and respectable. I'm just hoping that day has come and will stay for a while.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 27, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

"Some people around the league have questioned whether a big contract and an immediate starting position would push Williams to work hard as a pro. But Williams is already talking about Pro Bowls and Super Bowls, which you don't earn by simply setting foot on the Radio City Music Hall stage and holding up an NFL jersey."

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 27, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 27, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Yeah, but since he was white, he didn't LOOK fast. None of us do. Works in our favor when they aren't expecting it tho...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 27, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Did the broncos draft a star or a guy who'll sell stuff...?

"...last weekend, his (Tim Tebow) jersey was the top seller among all rookies by a wide margin and among all N.F.L. players, including Brett Favre, according to NFLShop.com..."

If I'm Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn, my future ain't looking so bright.

You know like I do, the broncos will 'Wildcat' Tebow on and off all season to assess how he fits into the NFL.

And eventually, with his being a 1st rounder, he'll get s hot at starting quarterback, even if he might not deseerve it.

And along the way, he'll sell a lot of #15 jerseys.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 27, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I will never predict we will win 4 games in our division this year.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 27, 2010 7:58 AM

Where do you keep getting the number 4 from? I said 3 games...half.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 27, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I still can't believe the cojones on Josh McDaniels making that pick...his fate in Denver is forever tied to Tebow now. If he fails, he's gone. If he turns him into a top-notch NFL QB, he probably gets the same Teflon status that Shanahan enjoyed there for so long.

My guess is he'll fail. McDaniels gets way too much credit for Brady's development and I don't know if he can turn water into wine with Tebow.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 27, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

One could say pretty much the same for most every other 1st round QB ever drafted...

TT will be treated like the 1st round rookie QB he is. You can fault teams for the ways in which they utilize young QBs. But it does not appear to me that that is what you are doing.

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 27, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 27, 2010 8:21 AM

Posted by: League-Source | April 27, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Check out a couple of our new guys, DE Carriker and undrafted free agent RB Keiland Williams:

Posted by: TakinAWiz | April 27, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

"Capers at right tackle and Williams at left tackle. I like it.Posted by: 2ndtierfan"

Capers might turn out to be a guard. He accelerates very well and is used to a running attack.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 27, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

"Denver is the same as every other NFL city. If he wins like Shanahan, he will stay as long as Shanahan stayed. If he loses like Zorn, he will be gone like Zorn. The Tebow pick will only be a paragraph in the story of McDaniel in Denver, not the story.
Posted by: League-Source"

True. But it'll be the first paragraph.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 27, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

"A young guy that puts forth mediocre effort in college plays for national championships and is all-american. He gets drafted at #4 and gets huge money. The fact that he is talking Pro and Super bowls is not because he believes it requires him to work harder and put in more effort, it is because he expects things to happen for him based on his past effort and what it got him. Hopefully he matures or is coached up.Posted by: amaranthpa"

Well, he's 21. Few years of life left to him.

I'm not a strength expert, but I've heard them complain about college football programs requiring too much lifting. The complaint being it contributes to later problems with muscle strains and possibly spasms. No idea whether that's true, but I do notice Adam Carriker was Nebraska's "Lifter of the Year" as a senior and has struggled with missed all last season with some sort of shoulder strain...

Posted by: Samson151 | April 27, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Shoulda drafted Okung.

Posted by: kemp13 | April 27, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"Riggins was born in Seneca, Kansas and attended Centralia High School in Centralia, Kansas. While there, he was a three-sport athlete, earning high school All-American recognition in football, all-state honors in basketball and twice winning the Class B 100-yard dash state title."

Yes, but what you don't realize is that Kansas Class B schools only have seven students who huddle together to stay warm.

Trust me, I grew up there.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 27, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: League-Source | April 27, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

"The Redskins are like the girl who marries the guy with serious flaws, convinced that she can change him. Shoulda drafted Okung.
Posted by: kemp13"

Maybe. But seemed from the beginning there wasn't a dominant o-linemen in this draft. No obvious choice. No Ogden, Long, Pace. The line crop was notable for its depth, not a superstar at the top. You had a number of athletic types but most had multiple flaws. Several had played in gimmicky Big 12 spread offenses, meaning they rarely blocked for a passer who started under center. Those guys will have an extended adjustment in the NFL. Others like Bulaga played in pro sets but may already have reached their potential.

Shanahan gambled on the superior athlete. We'll see what happens.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 27, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: League-Source | April 27, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

"Dude, this ain't the NBA. Like I said before, two things win in the NFL: coaches and quarterbacks. If you're good at those two spots, you can pretty much fill in the blanks from there."

This could be the single worst description of what it takes to win in the NFL. I don't care how good the QB is, if you can't protect him and he has receivers that can't get open the team is not going to win.

Picking up a project at LT does not make the Oline better next year. Picking Russell Okung would have. Williams has limited experience playing LT. He played mostly RT in college. He is very athletic and has the highest ceiling but is also still raw. Not exactly a guarantee he is going to be able to protect McNabb. McNabb thinks so highly of the receivers that he is lobbying for TO. Over the last 5 seasons McNabb has missed 17 games. He has a completion 59% completion percentage and averages 19 TDs a year vs 8 Ints. Jason Campbell had 20 Tds vs 15 ints on a horrible team last year behind the worst oline in modern times. McNabb had 20 and 10 behind a great oline with tremendous receivers. But hey no reason the Skins should not win the division. I mean just playing on the Redskins will improve his stats. He will dominate with or without guys blocking or catching. He can do it all!!!

Posted by: srobert1117 | April 27, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"You can't coach that"
"Say that again, Peter, and I'm going to punch you in the mouth!"

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 27, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps Williams never reaches his theoretical "potential" but is still a very good left tackle in the NFL. Nothing wrong with that, as it's light years better than where the Skins were. Very good is nice.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 27, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I hope Williams proves becomes a Hall of Famer, but cracks around the pick are beginning to form. While I would have preferred a surefire future all-star such as Berry, at least Okung seemed like a legit hard-nosed, blue-collar solution to a problem for the next decade. In interviews he had a no-nonsense seriousness and man-on-a-mission purpose that the affable Williams lacked. It is now slowly coming out that he struggled at left tackle in college and has poor work habits. Schmidt, above, is as coming as close to calling Williams lazy, spoiled and underachieving as he can without actually saying it. If true (and I have no reason to to think it is not, as college coaches and trainers tend to hype rather than dismiss their own players), Williams was potentially a huge risk to take at number four. When you pick that high (and pay that much in cap), you have to come away with a solution, not potential. The knock on Shanahan has been that he only likes to see the highlights of players, believing that he can coach them up to their potential. Such rosy worldviews always harbor blindsides, and I hope this pick isn't a bust. The Redskins should put Chris Samuels on the coaching payroll right away and have him start working with/mentoring Williams and the other two rook O-linemen right off the bat.

Posted by: SammyT1 | April 27, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"Trent Williams' potential: an assessment from Oklahoma"

Please.

UF's Carlos Dunlop is the only person or thing I saw whip up on Williams.

And let's not allow the media become the other.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 27, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

=========================

...oh really? Go back and watch the BYU tape or the "Red River" game. Bradford would've played the full season had the protection been better.

Posted by: arizona4 | April 27, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

You can't coach nor pay nor threaten 'desire'. You either have it or you don't.

Williams can be an All-Pro or a Bust, his choice.

Posted by: kahlua87 | April 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

SammyT1, I have the same concerns as you. Remember the Les Carpenter piece about Shanahan's arrival in D.C.?

"'The reason Mike [Shanahan] is not coaching the Broncos anymore is the personnel decisions,' [Mark] Schlereth said. Shanahan often evaluated players by watching tapes of their highlights, a system employed by some in the league who believe that if you see a player at his best then he can be coached up to that ability. 'It has worked for him. I think he has confidence in it,' said Lombardi, the NFL Network analyst. But many league executives say the approach can become intoxicating to a coach who is confident in his ability to coach the player to that level and has the ultimate authority to choose that player."

Speaking as an ignorant fan, I like the Williams pick because he has freakish raw talent. Let's hope Shanahan can persuade Williams to realize his potential.

Posted by: scrutineer | April 27, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Off topic but I just watched an old NFL films video on Larry Brown 43. The guy NEVER ran out of bounds. If he had one inch of sideline left, he would turn it upfield just to get an extra half yard. Yeah, I know, that's probably why he needs a cane to walk these days. But what a player.

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 27, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 27, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Could he potentially get his butt in the weight room we have a brutal schedule he's going to get his bell rung more than once out of the gate.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 27, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Sirius NFL is all over this story on the opening drive segment this morning....it's not just Adam Schein...those New York CIty media guys at Sirius NFL just love any opportunity to ridicule the Washington Redskins....can someone please tell me once and for all, is the 4th round pick for Jason Campbell conditional upon his making the probowl or Oatland making the playoffs, as John Carlton at ESPN reported over the weekend?

Posted by: northvajim2 | April 27, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Scrutineer,

Yes, it appears that one of Shanahan's strengths and flaws is believing that he can US Army his players into being the best that they can be. At best, that suggests a refreshing, enterprising can-do spirit which will move the franchise forward. At worst, a flawed arrogance which can lead to oversight.

While many of the Skin' players have bought into the new coaching staff & its Henry Ford Management style, a few notable exceptions have not. Which side will Williams - who appears to lean towards the independent & underachieving - choose? I don't know, but he seems a risk, one who could have been avoided with the drafting of Okung, Berry, etc. People talk about Williams' 'upside', but upside is for later rounds and skill positions. When you draft a trench man in the top four, you better be certain he's gonna be a cornerstone for years to come.

Posted by: SammyT1 | April 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Concerning an earlier comment, I don't think the defense is going to take a step backwards in the things that really matter, TD's against and Turnovers For.....having been 3rd from the rear of the pack regarding turnovers, what if we can become 10th from the front or better in the category, wouldn't you be willing to give up your overall defensive rank when you win more games as a result of turnovers? I think we are on that track and I feel it is positive. Hopefully, they can get AH to cooperate, start off the year in shape, and move in a positive direction. If they do, we are going to win a lot more games defensively this year than we have had in several years, even if our overall rank drops a few spots. Not to mention with McNabb at the helm and a beefed up running back scheme and OL, which should be more agile and in game shape, you are going to win more of those close games. At least I sure hope so.

Posted by: schultzy | April 27, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Damming him with faint praise...

In yesterday's print edition, the Post spoke about a couple of the players drafted as players the team might actually keep.

Why would a team waste a draft pick on a player it was not even certain would be kept around?

Is this how you win super bowls?

Posted by: TOMMYBASEBALL | April 27, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't see how asking Stoops is very helpful. That guy wants Williams to be drafted high so that he can convince the next super high school prospect to come to Oklahoma.

Too bad we couldn't swing Albert into Okung and put Williams at RT.

Posted by: jaguar2490 | April 27, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Some white guys are fast.

Once, an older (40s, probably), balding (you know, with the hair still on the sides and back?) white guy, with out-of-date mustache, caught a slant against our flag football team and proceeded to blow past everybody on our Defense, myself included. We had started off the game making fun of him, calling him "Rogaine."

You should have seen our DBs stop chasing him at about the 30 when it was obvious he was pulling away. They just looked at each other. Hilarious.

So, yeah, he was on a deep, state champion flag football team. He was really a secret weapon. They told us after the game he was the fastest on the team, and that's saying something.

Quite an athlete. Did NOT look like it.

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 28, 2010 5:49 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Williams work habit will rub off on Fat Albert and Chuckie Cheese Portis. Anything will be an improvement on their work habits. Hopefully the let's win theme will replace I win attitude that these two over paid has beens have. Thanks to Danny and Vinny (yeah Vinny-you. Any time your around, the Skins smells like dead fish)we're stuck with them,frankly no other team wants them.

Posted by: raleighnative | April 28, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I’m sick of hearing about how fast he is
and much weight can he lift.

What I want to know is can he play football & how bad does he want to win?

Is he mean enough to play in the NFL?

Posted by: dc4life | April 28, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Just give the skins the Lombardi trophy. Trent Williams is here. Please stop the insanity. I predict that he will be no better than average.

Posted by: theBozyn | April 28, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Are we caught up in the off-season hype?

Posted by: RalphZero | April 28, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Ralphie...your act will never change

Posted by: terpsez11 | April 29, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

northvajim2, from everything I have read we get the 4th round pick for JC, which I hated to see leave but lets leave that one alone LOL

I have a great feel for this new coaching staff, which I admit at first I was disappointed and thought once again we were bringing someone past their prime in the NFL, but I like what I see so far, there seems to be much more discipline and a clear message that Shanahan is the boss and the hot-line to Danny Boy has been disconnected!!!

I start every year thinking (praying) we can make the play-offs, I have seen teams who were awful the prior year be great the following. As much as I hated seeing JC go, and think it was a big mistake, I also think MacNabb has a point to make, and what a great player to have on your side of the huddle with a grudge.

Posted by: DDunnuck | April 30, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Great article: proper investigative quote-gathering, reliance on facts, and minimal out-of-nowhere editorializing.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | April 30, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse