The Morning Reading List

The London Fletcher factor is the topic of Mike Wise's column today. Cue: "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" ...

On the field, Clinton Portis is respected as a stone-cold competitor. Albert Haynesworth is respected for his ability to shed three blockers at once. Chris Cooley is respected as a beer truck with a broken parking brake after he catches the ball.
London Fletcher is respected.
Teammates always figure if a guy that small and compact can have the closing speed of a rat trap, if a man who moves like a fire hydrant on wheels can drop much bigger players the way he dropped Brandon Jacobs in the opener against the Giants -- really, if a Division III undrafted rookie somehow found a way to escape the temptations of East Cleveland and the perceptions of others to last 12 years in a kill-or-be-cut league -- well, they'd better be able to, too.

The Wildcat, Year 2

Mark Maske takes stock of the sophomore season of everyone's favorite fad formation, the Wildcat.

Steinz Paints by Numbers
Usually, numbers make Dan Steinberg's hair hurt Dan Steinberg scratch his head. But over on the Bog today, he goes all stat-y, crunching numbers in his search for the source of the Burgundy Revolt.

Sean Taylor's Mother Struggles

Nearly two years after her son's death, Donna Junor, the mother of Sean Taylor is having financial difficulties, Amy Shipley writes. That's also the topic in the Redskins Tailgate Zone today, too.

Vick Visits D.C.

As part of his return to the NFL, Michael Vick is speaking to kids about his dogfighting past and Covenant Baptist Church in D.C. was his latest stop yesterday. "Anything can happen when you're fighting dogs at two or three in the morning," Les Carpenter reports that Vick told the assembled crowd of about 75. "I'm blessed to be before you and still have my life. It's like standing on the corner and dealing drugs. It's a criminal life."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 30, 2009; 9:33 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Still Waiting for Kelly, Campbell to Click
Next: Afternoon Practice Update

Comments

Reading assignments? But I got work to do...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 30, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

RI homework. Do it!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I've finished all my homework already. Can I go to recess now?

Posted by: walkdwalk | September 30, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

FLPalex, if you have 60 lbs, you do not give it up til after you finished all of it.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 30, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Curz,

nope its a simple bit of math that I realized after the fact.

You stop smoking and your going to probably replace it with more drinking.
Average beer 153 calories. Average joint 0 calories.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

HW is done now I'm ready for a nap. Someone wake me up when we hire a true GM.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 30, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I've finished all my homework already. Can I go to recess now?

Posted by: walkdwalk | September 30, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse
Did you check your work?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

NFeKPo,
If we do that your going to be sleeping for 30 years like Wrip Van Winke.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to remind everyone once again that we lost to the Lions. I'm still reeling from it and keep hoping that it was all a bad dream. My only solice is that the Washington Capitals begin their quest to the Stanley Cup this week!

I think the state of the Redskins can be summed up with the fact that as a life-long redskins fan I've yet to purchase a Skins Jersey. I have a captials Jersey, Sweater, Hat, and now my wife has a long sleve t-shirt.

The two organizations could not be greater polar opposites, and Dan Snyder is losing this battle of the beltway. If this Keeps up the skins will be in serious trouble. Blackouts would be next. It's amazing how low the fan sentiment has fallen towards this team.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 30, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Alex, that is so not true!! Average joint=1 pint of Cherry Garcia!!

those add up.

I tried like eating rasins or something... just not the same. Besides, the dutch know that you always have to mix your tobacco & sticky.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Does Vinnie have any homework?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 30, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

whaddye mean "WILL BE" in serious trouble?! We lost to the lions and could barely beat the Rams. Couldn't last year.

Trouble is here, my Insider friend. With a captial "T" and that rhymes with "P" and that stands for SJK!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

From the previous post:

Throwing the deep pass isn't the fault of Zorn? Let me remind everyone that Kelly was drafted to be the big receiver who could catch the short passes and do something after the catch. His draft status fell because of his poor time in 40 yards. Translation: why would you put your slowest receiver on a deep route? I don't see him getting separation. So, yes, I do blame deep incompletions to Kelly as Zorn's fault.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 7:46 AM

I don't get that either. It hasn't looked open yet and I'm not sure someone like Devin Thomas wouldn't be better suited for those routes.

Posted by: skinswest | September 30, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jwlemons | September 30, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Does Vinnie have any homework?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

The big question is, will he take any calls on his show this week?

Posted by: Predator48 | September 30, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

skinswest,
And what's up with not throwing a hail mary pass at the end of the game? That's one time when I would send Kelly deep, but along with Marko Mitchell, Cooley, Davis, anyone who stands tall and can catch the ball.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

c'mon RedHed!!!! That NEVER works!!!

**coughBretFavrecough***

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

This should be on the reading list...

Posted by: jwlemons
=====================

Awesome find.

Who would you RI poster's prefer between the two? Shanahan or Holmgren?

For my money I'm taking Holmgren, but it's more of a lean for me than a definitive. I just remember the Seahawks have really crushed us over the years, and I think he's good at scheming against an opponent. I don't really know that much in depth about either guy though.

Posted by: REXskins | September 30, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Dik,
I always was able to control the munches, I mean i got them but could ignore desire. And don't try and tell me you don't like to snack while drinking or smoke and drink.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

AFter the game did Jurgenson lay into Zorn about that dumb hook-and-ladder play? I mean, I'm sure he called that play TO WORK.

Posted by: pgugino | September 30, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

"Let me ask this question. Through the first three games, who on this offense who has been playing better than Campbell? I can think of two (ARE, Samuels) maybe a 3rd (Cooley, but I think his run blocking hasn't been up to par). I'd like to see some of you'll suggestions.

Posted by: TWISI"

Campbell hasn't only been one of the best players on offense, he's been one of the best players on the team. Only Hunter Smith, Chris Cooley, Albert Haynesworth, and London Fletcher have been better. ARE, Chris Horton, Shaun Suisham, and Rocky McIntosh have been on par. Everyone else hasn't even come close.

Posted by: psps23 | September 30, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

can't access that link at work, whats it say about holmgren...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I don't know psps, I think that Reed has been playing very good football. I would add him to your list.

And I was one of the peeps on here thinking he should be cut. Guess that's why I am an arm chair gm/hc.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 30, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

greg, how can you not access that link when you constantly post pft rumors?

Holmgren eyeballing D.C.?
Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2009 8:36 PM ET
Former Packers and Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren has been making no bones about his desire to return to the NFL in 2010.

And we've been hearing for months rumors that Holmgren would be very interested in becoming the next coach of the Washington Redskins.

Earlier today, Peter King of SI.com provided some meat for that bone, in an appearance with Chris Russo of Mag Dog Unleashed on Sirius XM Radio.

"I've heard a lot of people say in the last few days, 'Oh, Holmgren wouldn't want to go to Washington,'" King said. "Keep one thing in mind in December when all this stuff starts to go down. Remember where you heard this. Mike Holmgren last year, Thanksgiving weekend, I'm sitting in his office in Seattle and he says, 'You know, I'm going to take this next year off but after that I'll give you a cool little theory for what I might do.' I said, 'What?' And he says, 'I've coached in the Midwest with Green Bay and I grew up playing and coaching out west -- Brigham Young, the 49ers, Seattle.' And he said, 'I'd really love to try the East Coast. That brand of football where you wake up on Sunday morning and it's the most important thing. There aren't 800 things to do. Where you're in East Rutherford or Philly or Washington and it's so important.'

"He said, 'I'd really love to try football on the East Coast.' So do not eliminate Mike Holmgren when you start talking about coaching candidates for [Redskins owner] Dan Snyder."

So we think it'll be Holmgren and Shanahan jockeying for position in D.C., and the Redskins and Cowboys in a possible tug of war to get their preferred candidate.

That's why we don't rule out the 'Skins launching the process before the end of the season, in order to get a crack at Holmgren or Shanahan, before Jerry Jones does.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 30, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Bean: This is the key paragraph -

Posted by: REXskins | September 30, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I agree Curz, I would say Reed has played very well, just that he isn't asked to do as much during the games (I've only seen him in on a few defensive series per game). FWIW, I think Rock has done very well in his tasks as well, but he kind of falls under the same category.

Posted by: psps23 | September 30, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

ratface has won zero playoffs games since elway retired right? holmgren is the better choice...but it wont matter unless danny/vinny release control of football operations

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Here you go Greg:

Holmgren eyeballing D.C.?
Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2009 8:36 PM ET

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Hell, Alex, I like to eat during SEX! I won't let any of those other activities stop me either... lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

skinswest,

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

c'mon RedHed!!!! That NEVER works!!!

**coughBretFavrecough***

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 11:06 AM

Seriously. Hook and ladder with 8 seconds left when your QB could easily reach the endzone AND you've got a bunch of tall WR's? That was a huge WTF playcall.

Posted by: skinswest | September 30, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

ratface...lol...how true...

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 30, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

WE MAY STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN, BUT DON'T EVER QUESTION REDSKIN NATION:

TOP SELLOUT STREAKS IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS:

NFL: WASHINGTON REDSKINS -341, 1966-PRESENT
MLB: BOSTON RED SOX -542, 2003-PRESENT
NBA: PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS -744,
1977-1995
NHL: COLORADO AVALANCHE -487, 1995-2006

Posted by: nixx46 | September 30, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3

I agree, but there is some hope. Danny did fire VC once before.

Posted by: REXskins | September 30, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

.....T.......M.......I...... [:-|

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

thanks guys....curz, its complicated, and stuff...you wouldn't understand....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

ratface has won zero playoffs games since elway retired right?

---------

Wrong. He beat the crap out of Belichick and Brady one season before getting Manninged in the conference title game. And that was with Jake Plummer as his QB.

Posted by: psps23 | September 30, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

agreed on the Holmgren before Shanahan school of thought.....the problem is that IIRC Holmgren is a lousy GM, so while getting a better coach, that presently constituted, we're still facing VC as the gm....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

in the 10yrs since horseface retired, ratface made the postseason 4 times going 1-4

pass.

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Holmgren or Shanahan? Two SuperBowl winning coaches who run the WCO. Both would be an immediate upgrade on gameday. Both would have enough cache to get Snyder to backoff and let them run things. Unfortunately they've both been in charge of personnel before and been pretty bad at it. I was under the impression that Shanahan was more eager to get back into coaching whereas Holmgren is closer to retirement. If that's not the case I'd lean towards Holmgren just because he seems like more of a fiery guy who'd whip the team into shape. I wouldn't be terribly upset if it's Shanahan though. Either one would need to bring in some quality personnel guys with them though.

Posted by: skinswest | September 30, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I can't decide between Holmgren and Shanahan. Both are certainly good coaches. Both are still riding the coattails of championships with HOF QBs (which you can't really find at Wal-mart). However, there was a day when the AFC West was VERY competitive, much like the NFC East is now, and Shanahan always kept the Broncos in the conversation. I can't remember the NFC West ever being competitive among all 4 teams, and certainly when Holgren was in Seattle there wasn't much in the division to write home about.

Bottom line, I think both guys always kept their teams competitive, and depending how the cards fell, in the hunt for a Super Bowl. Kinda like the Eagles - not a dominant team nationally, but a threat year in and year out.

At this point, I would take that...

Posted by: jwlemons | September 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Chucky anyone?

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Count me on the Big mike over top skinny mike boat. *there is a mental image for all you guys :)

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

What the team should do is bring in Holmgren or Shanahan now, but in an advisor role. They can keep Zorn in his position whilst one of the Mikes directs the show. I think this works for the NFL because the team won't have to go through the lengthy and highly visible course of interviews during the season, and at the end of the season they can have their interviews with a good understanding of whether or not the Mike is the right guy for the job.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

TOP SELLOUT STREAKS IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS:

NFL: WASHINGTON REDSKINS -341, 1966-PRESENT
MLB: BOSTON RED SOX -542, 2003-PRESENT
NBA: PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS -744,
1977-1995
NHL: COLORADO AVALANCHE -487, 1995-2006

Posted by: nixx46 | September 30, 2009 11:16 AM

To quote Derrick Coleman
"whippty-dam-do" When you see Fedex filled with Steeler fans or other teams fans what does the streak matter.

Posted by: skinswest | September 30, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

RI Nation:

Wow. You've got to read this...Tim Kawakami is a beat writer for the Raiders and he was all over the Redskins for the Zorn hiring when it happened. The scary thing is this dude called it so completely right, I have lost what little faith I have in Vinny and/or Danny's ability to properly evaluate coaches and players. Read for yourself:

Posted by: brownwood26 |

Thanks. That's so spot on it's hard to believe it wasn't post-dated.

And the MOST discouraging aspect of it is remember, when Zorn gets fired, guess who gets to choose who replaces him?

Yup. Same dolts.

Posted by: TheCork | September 30, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I can get behind Holmgren as HC with MBrown as GM and maybe Gray as DC.

VC is linked with the Zorn hire and I would like to see that link continue as they both leave the building.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 30, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

TED BY: Predator 48

What a specious argument you make here. And based on just one reading of an article, I'd guess. Whether Tim K. interviewed him once, or in depth, or just intuited it is irrelevant. He got it exactly right.

And if you read the article, you'd see he did due diligence by checking myriad other sources for their opinions on Zorn.

The lengths some people will go to here to attack paid writers continues to be mind boggling.

Posted by: TheCork | September 30, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Art Schell Art Schell Art Schell!

I dunno, there are plusses and minuses to each HC rumor there.

I tend to look at the personality and try to see who'd do better here given the foobaw climate. From HOlmgren's words above, I'd be leaning that way. But he's so North-by-MidWest I wonder if he'd hack the 'tude. Then again, RatFace sure looks like he'd need bypass surgery after his first season... Neither give me great confidence.

What's the stand on Mr. Dungy?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Interesting side note: Does VC have to back up Zorn to keep his job?

Consider that if he concedes to Danny that they need a new coach, he is putting his own job in jeopardy. Some of the HC they might get would allow VC to stay on as GM, but others will demand control - making VC a useless appendage most likely costing him his job.

VC could be in a really tight spot right now, and I find that amusing.

Posted by: REXskins | September 30, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

One thing I forgot to mention about Shanahan - he had Portis and was getting Portis to put up 1500 yards a season and 5.5 YPC. Now, if he came here, Portis would be 30 (I think) and probably not capable of that. But we have had Portis for 5 full seasons now (this is his 6th and he is certainly not on pace), and in none of those years has Portis been even CLOSE to pulling off 1500 yards on 5.5 YPC. And in the NFC East, you need to run the ball...

Posted by: jwlemons | September 30, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 30, 2009 11:19 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest

Are you having a bad day?

Posted by: nixx46 | September 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Vinny is a goner. Zorn looks like a debacle, and 9/10th of his '08 draft class aint doo-doo so far.

Zorn, JC, and Vinny's careers all hinged on this season

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Odds are Rex Ryan's brother will be out of a job in Cleveland next year (mangini being an idiot and all) how bout we get a Ryan as DC next season?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

cork, shouldn't a paid journalist get his facts straight?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Vinnie isn't going anywhere. The best situation we could hope for is a highly regarded head coach who has some say with Vinny and Snyder like Gibbs had. Shannahan, Cowher and Holmgren would fit the bill provided they wouldn't try to take over like Marty did.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 30, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"Actually, that was the year the Steelers won as the 6th seed...went into Denver and beat 'em pretty good if I recall correctly. The next year Manning won they beat the Pats in the AFC title game.

Posted by: brownwood26"

You're probably correct. They got Polumalued instead of Manninged.

Posted by: psps23 | September 30, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Zorn, JC, and Vinny's careers all hinged on this season

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

and unfortunately JC is taking a lot of heat because of the failures of the other 2.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"I love the misconception that you need to run the ball, because its the NFC East....why is that??...because thats how the Redskins USED to win?? Help me out with this...."

because the giants have won the SB recently while the pass happy iggles always fall short?

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

greg, that never ceases to amaze me...

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 30, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

really divi? how about the pats, they play in worse weather and how did they win their super bowls??

The eagles falling short has more to do with a lack of a top end wide-out, than anything else....when they had TO, they went to the super bowl.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

curz, I just don't get that.....this is a passing league....its not 1983 anymore...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

To quote Derrick Coleman

Posted by: skinswest | September 30, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

What other teams fans have invaded FedEx field? The Steelers fans do it because they live in DC and Maryland. If you grew up in western PA and you went to college, you didn't come back. Western PA is one of the few areas in this country where the population is actually declining. That's why the Steelers seem to travel so well. The truth is they aren't travelling. They are already there.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 30, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Who did the Giants beat in the Superbowl?

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Couple of reasons. The weather in Philly, New York, and DC late in the year can be sloppy and more suited to running attack.

Rushing is best way to maintain TOP as long as you can gain positive yardage.

I don't have a number but teams that have a 100+ runner traditionally win a higher % of games.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

THe belief is actually surmised not for "NFC-EAST" football but for North East Football *and classic northerner manly football in general. Because for a long time when you got into cold weather, bad weather sloppy field and biting wind and snow you did not want to bother throwing around a football that was 1 hard as a rock and 2 could go anywhere because of a strong gust.

This is all IMHO...

Now thanks to global warming and better stadiums and whatnot winters in areas like DC Philly are not as bad. The thing is in some cities you are going to have one or two games a season where its going to be so much snow you can't see the whole field and you will end up with a 7-3 game or something. This is why I laughed when TO went to Buffalo the ultimate, non-passing climate.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The uselessness of speculating about who will become the Redskins next coach is that it doesn't matter.

And it will never matter until the person(s) evaluating and hiring him changes.

I know, that like the offseason trades and FA acquisitions, the new coach will solve everything theory is appealing.

And I live near a river call Denial.

But REALITY is it doesn't matter who they hire.

Because they won't hire the right guy.

Or if they do, they'll do something stupid (like make Gibbs, who has never been a personnel guy) the personnel guy, too.

They could raise Lombardi from the dead, bring back Halas from his grave, or Knute Rockne from the beyond. It wouldn't matter.

Posted by: TheCork | September 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I think for the Skins the stat is something like when Portis ran for 100+ we have 80% wins, when he did not its down to 50/50 something like that.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I brought that up yestidday, Alex. Though one success doesn't guarantee another. Plus - those guys HATE the skins! (or should!)

Dungy has fielded some of the most accountible teams in recent memory. And that what this team needs - guys stepping up to DO THEIR JOB!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

pps, again, the pats play in some of the worse weather in the NFL, yet they're a passing team, and have won 3 superbowls in the past 10 years....

I think you pass to win now....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Just read that ST21 Moms Dileama story. It's sad everyone isjumping on her (in the 300+ comments it has already). My thing about the article is that it's too incomplete.

It doesn't go indepth about the relationship with her and his father. And the fact that her daughter's (Not not from ST's father) friends is what killed him. ST and Moms seems like they never lived with each other. But none of the family got into specifics. So that article shouldn't have ever been published......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Just because it does not matter doesn't mean it can't be fun.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Rushing is best way to maintain TOP as long as you can gain positive yardage.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2009 11:44 AM

Now Greg is going to want a 40 page essay complete with facts to back that up. Or at least a link to some facts to back that up.

Nevermind controlling the TOP and establishing the run has been the winning formula in football for decades.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Actually, it is about the weather and about keeping teams honest. NFC East teams traditionally have great defenses (AFC East teams do not, hence the Pats). You keep great defenses off balance with the running game. And with the weather, it is more about it being unpredictable than about it getting cold.

Yeah, the Pats won, but look at their scores toward the end of their season. They were slowing down. And they got pummeled in the Super Bowl by the Giants pass rush.

Posted by: jwlemons | September 30, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I like what Rex Ryan has done with the Jets. God, I love coaches with personality who say what is on their mind, challenge their players and hold them accountable. That's the way it is supposed to be - not all of this "stay medium" garbage. The football field is a field of battle for warriors; guys who rise to the challenge to conquer, to not accept defeat at any costs. It's a battle of wits, a battle of hearts, and a battle of brains. I don't understand where "stay medium" fits. Can you imagine any of the great leaders in history saying "stay medium"? Imagine Patton on the field of battle telling his troops to "stay medium". Imagine Martin Luther King telling the masses to "stay medium". Imagine Vince Lombardi rallying his football team with the words "stay medium". When Dan Snyder looks for his next coach, he should look for someone like Ryan who tells his players to stay fired up, instead of "stay medium".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I think I might accept Holmgren... if Ron Wolf came in with him to coach up Morocco Brown for a season or two and flush all traces of Vinny from the organization...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 30, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"I think for the Skins the stat is something like when Portis ran for 100+ we have 80% wins, when he did not its down to 50/50 something like that"

Isn't this more of an indication of how poor their passing game is as well?? I mean using the Redskins Offense for any comparison is somewhat ridiculous, considering the length of time its been disfunctional....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I don't think JC is the problem, BUT...

what about signing Jeff Garcia? Maybe we need that spark. And obviously, he's familiar with West Coast Offenses

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | September 30, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

brown, thata boy, don't add to the conversation, just act like a jackazz....mission accomplished...

"winning formula in football for decades"

just not this decade....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm ready for this TB game. This team has to, they HAVE TO come out, and obliterate the Bucs....no excuses, Blache needs to dial up the intensity, dial up blitzes from every which way...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 8:14 AM

I'm in total agreement. However, Blache just doesn't seem to be a big fan of lots of blitzing. And I don't get that at all. He talked up Detroit and Stafford like they were the 49ers with Montana. Dude was a rook, making his 3rd NFL start.

I'm waiting for him to talk tomorrow...it'll be more of the same. How talented the Bucs are, and how great this kid Johnson is, and how much the D will have their hands full.
Then we'll see the same 4-man "rush" on Sunday, the soft zone...corners 10-15 yards off the line, and Johnson will look like the second coming.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 30, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

How come we never do a screen pass or a bootleg?

Posted by: TheJury | September 30, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Speculating on coaching candidates is basically perpetuating the same flawed organizational philosophy that currently haunts the team. ANY coach that is hired by the owner and Vinny Cerrato is doomed to repeat our history of mediocrity. We've done the sexy coach thing: Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs 2.0. They all failed to bring success under this management structure, despite their track records. I'd be much happier to hear a rumor that Snyder is firing up Redskins One in order to interview GM candidates. Here's a list of potential GM candidates from nfl.com:

Ironically, Marty S. is prominently featured as a GM candidate. In Marty's short time here, he made the best Redskins personnel move in the past 15 years -- he fired Vinny Cerrato. He also picked up Antonio Pierce as an undrafted FA and played him in all 16 games as a rookie.

Does anyone have MARTY S. EMAIL ADD?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 30, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:37 AM

Tradition. It's worked for the Steelers. And for the Chargers strictly on Entertainment value.

Tradition......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

agree 110% RedSkinHead, this stay medium stuff is crap.

Gibbs looked like he was physically ill after losses, zorn has "thoughts"

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I think you pass to win now....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm not arguing with the Pats success but..

You have to get through your division opponents in the regular season to even make the playoffs. NFC East football has traditionally been TOP football. Best way to keep a teams offense off the field is to keep your teams offense on.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Who did the Giants beat in the Superbowl?

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Obviously there is more than one way to Skin a cat, pun intended. The Colts won with passing, the Steelers won defense, the Giants won with running the ball and pass rush, the Pats and Rams won with passing there is more than one way to be successful. 5 years ago with Brunel, Portis, a strong D, and a smash mouth line we were better suited to be a ball control rushing team. Now we have a crap run blocking line, CP is obviously declining, our QB only looks good in the shotgun two minute offense, our only game breaker at RB is a second year fumbler and we have spent 4 draft picks in the last two years on pass catchers. We are dramatically better suited to be a spread formation shotgun attack team but we refuse to do it, that's poor coaching in my opinion, the best coaches mold their systems to suit their talent not the other way around.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 30, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | September 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Amen

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 30, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

For starters I am guessing at the actual data (cant remember what it is), and you will get that data for a lot of other teams as well, they also had that stat for Gibbs' entire career I remember and it was like that for him too. Sure the passing game has not been on fire but we just saw a 300+ yard passing game, which is the benchmark for a "perfect day" in terms of yardage. I would like to see if there is a stat line for W/L in terms of yardage.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Danny and Vinny aren't THAT BAD. Sure, they should have worked on the OL this year but look at the talent we have. Just a better play caller would be a huge improvement to this team. And Holmgren or Shanahan(or Gruden, or Billick, or Shottenheimer, or Cowher)would be just that!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | September 30, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"Obviously there is more than one way to Skin a cat, pun intended...."

oh dont get me wrong, i think JC is the best player on our offense and that we should be pass heavy. And it KILLS me our mobile qb is never rolled out!

we dont have the line to run the ball effectively, you cant go left 90% of the time and expect success. Run to setup the play-action with this squad

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: vegasskinsfan

Who let Larry Michael on the blog?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 30, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"winning formula in football for decades"

just not this decade....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

The Pats weren't considered a primarily passing team until Randy Moss got there. They were just considered a great team before that. Brady had no quality WR's, much like McNabb didn't.

It is interesting to note that the Pats had more rushing yardage than their SB opponents the three times the won. The Rams and Eagles both out-passed the Pats.
Against the Giants, they had less rushing yardage. And, they only had 229 yards passing. It's pretty proven - you need to be able to run the ball.

Posted by: jwlemons | September 30, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Running:

1) Control the clock
2) Save your D
3) Set up the scoring pass
4) Arguably (not everyone agrees, but you can make a definite case) our most talented O player is our running back.

Zoron Running like a Moron:

1) Durrrrr
2) Gooobledygook
3) Needlepoint
4) WWatfmD? (A Total SJKing Moron)

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Dik good points' i disagree on 4 cuz 26 is hurt.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey Brownwood, I read that article from the Raiders guy and I think he was essentially right.

What tickled me was the number of comments underneath that were obviously from Skins fans attacking him, they resurfaced in October/November 2008 when the Skins were riding high and then...

...nothing,until a couple of days ago. Why was that again? :-)

Greg, you can choose to interpret his "out of football" statement to mean "never went near a football field at any level for 10 years", or simply "out of the NFL". Each is equally valid but only one allows a charge of factual inaccuracy. I have no reason to think he meant the former, but then I don't have an agenda when I'm reading his post. You could also point to the sources who say he was being considered for an OC role, but I'm not sure anyone (apart from the Skins) ever actually interviewed him for one, did they?

And you certainly can't use the "worse than Mangini in Cleveland?" argument, as that hadn't yet happened when this article was written (but that's me wilfully misinterpreting you now of course).

I spent an hour in the car with a rabid Skins fan (and former season ticket holder of 26 years) while he berated the current situation. I was happy to counsel him as I have learned many tricks to help me deal with the continuing path of grief and futility that is the lot of the Fins fan, but man, he even wore me down by the end!

"The new broom sweeps clean", I think that should be the Skins mantra from now on. This cr*p is "zorn, all zorn", you should start again.

Posted by: Redcoat | September 30, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | September 30, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

who cares whether he is or not, when the least talented thinnest unit on your team is your Oline it really doesn't matter how talented your running back is.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 30, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Zorn's press conferences are starting to have that Miss Teen South Carolina feel to them:

Anyone know how to do a mashup of a Zorn presser and MTSC? That would be a great video.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 30, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"winning formula in football for decades"

just not this decade....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:52 AM

Just taking a page out you and T_E's book....

Since you like facts so much, SB Champs this decade:

2000 Ravens: Obvious running team
2001 Pats: Running team*
2002 Bucs: Running team
2003 Pats: Passing team
2004 Pats: Running team**
2005 Steelers: Running team
2006 Colts: Passing team
2007 Giants: Running team
2008 Steelers: Running team (just didn't do it well)

*Brady didn't crack 3000 passing yards that year and the leading rusher (Antowain Smith) had over 1100 yards and 12 tds.

**Corey Dillion had over 1600 yards on 345 carries that year. Sounds a heckuva lot like a run team to me.

So two, maybe 3 passing teams out of 9 Champions listed. Care to rethink that?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think that Zoron's "Thoughts" may be alot like Jack Handey's?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Ken,
I have long wanted to do a Zorn Mashup but would need to get a editable version of his video. + I need to then dress like a fake reporter and pretend to ask questions.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I apologize... those aren't actual "Handey's"... m'bad.

RC - good to see u innahouz.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Call me crazy but I say we should put Marko Mitchell in the game and give him a chance. Marko is confident and cocky ... and will fight for the ball.

Why not give it a try?

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 30, 2009 9:07 AM

You're crazy ... crazy like a FOX! It just might work!

p.s. It sucks up here when the Skins are 1-2. Prediction: it will still suck up here when the Skins are 2-2.

Posted by: dcsween | September 30, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

ON Hol,gren vs Shanahan, I'm not sure which I'd prefer. What I would want is for neither to become the Prez/GM/HC.

The issue, as well know, is the internal politics.

On a new HC, I'd want 2 things.

First, a coach who can coach at a high level. No shortage of proven guys out there.

Second, a coach who can significantly moderate most of the Spaghetti Gang's bad instincts. A coach who has some real power.

As for getting rid of Vinny along with hiring a new HC, I don't think that is going to happen. And to some degree, I'm almost more worried about that scenario, since I doubt Danny knows how to hire a good GM.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Who let Larry Michael on the blog?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 30, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Who's Larry Michael?

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | September 30, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

So two, maybe 3 passing teams out of 9 Champions listed. Care to rethink that?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

brownwood, good stuff. I would say even the teams that you listed as being passing still rushed 40% of the time.

You don't have to have a great passing game to win championships. Just run and stop the run.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I think you pass to win now....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 11:46 AM

NE recently transitioned into a passing team in the 3rd SB. BEfore that, they just won by any means neccesary

Remember Corey Dillion? HOw quickly we forget.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

updated -- here's what I think should happen Sunday

1. The fans should sing "I've lost that loving feeling" right before the opening kickoff(remember Tom Cruise in Top Gun) a great homage to how the fans feel about the team. Maybe even fire-up the players.

2. Rookie QB again this week what is rule #1 for rookie QBs? Blitz them! Put 8, 9 nine one the line of scrimmage and send 7 if it is a pass. Stop the run and make the kid throw the ball with pressure coming at him. I remember Petibone doing that once back it the day. They pulled the rookie QB at half time because he was shell shocked. And Tamap Bay is putting their other rookie as the #2 guy. How great is that. Leftwich can only play in an emergency.

3. Get Marko Mitchell in the game, see what he can do. What do you have to lose? If he is no better than MK12 or DT11 put him on inactive next week.

4. We cannot lose to the Bucs, imagine me sitting in my office with my Redskins stuff with my co-workers making fun of me. I would have to take next week off and I am way to busy for that.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | September 30, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Who let Larry Michael on the blog?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 30, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Who's Larry Michael?

Posted by: vegasskinsfan

Very funny, Larry. Very funny.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 30, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Very funny, Larry. Very funny.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 30, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it's Larry. He would have called you a hater by now.

Anyway you know things are bad when Larry Michael starts to talk about problems the skins have.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

And congrats to Nate for ending the 'Fins' RI fantasy march to greatness. We will now assume the mediocrity that is our true place!

BTW for what it's worth, I don't think Zorn is a bad guy; I think he probably played very instinctively and then has tried to 'learn' how to be structured as a coach. All that has done though is make him programmatic instead.

Don't forget, coaches want predictability and structure, they are trying to get the team to follow the game plans conceived by THEM.

Top tier coaches/managers (like Belichick dammit)get smart people and put them in an environment where they can find their own (NOT predetermined) path to success using all their skills.

Lesser coaches put people in boxes and expect them to follow orders in every situation - they are SCARED of people that extemporise, or 'freelance' as they prefer to call it, they just can't bring themselves to trust other people that much.

The essence of this approach is "hire hard, manage easy".

Which bucket would you put Zorn in based on that description?

Posted by: Redcoat | September 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

From pft ...

" ... Buccaneers cornerback Ronde Barber, in a Tuesday appearance on WDAE radio in Tampa, openly questioned whether the writers covering the team are rooting against the franchise. Said Barber, via JoeBucsFan.com: "To our beat guys, 'Do you just want us to fail?'" ..."

Note to Mr. Barber, I'm not Tampa beat media, but be assured that I certainly do want you to fail.

Posted by: dcsween | September 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

This just in... forgive me if I am late

Redskins Owner Daniel Snyder is now in talks with Mike Holmgren looking to bring him onboard in an advisory position... thus allowing Zorn to continue to be the "head coach"

Posted by: BenchCampbell | September 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Prediction: it will still suck up here when the Skins are 2-2.

Posted by: dcsween | September 30, 2009 12:11 PM

I'll predict it'll suck up here until Vinny is fired...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Right - so the problem is the Line & injuries, not the concept of running the ball.

I'm not saying that's the only way to win. I was just explaining why that's our philosophy, however badly executed for whatever reason.

It is my preferred way to win - but you have to execute.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"Rookie QB again this week what is rule #1 for rookie QBs? Blitz them! Put 8, 9 nine one the line of scrimmage and send 7 if it is a pass. Stop the run and make the kid throw the ball with pressure coming at him."

Blache doesnt seem to do that and neither did gregg williams. Some say it's just how they play it

Others say they are afraid 10pts by the opposition equates to a loss so they cant risk any big plays.

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

QB Johnson surprised by news he will start vs. Redskins

Josh Johnson was told by coach Raheem Morris that it was his turn.

But being named the Bucs' starting quarterback Monday took the second-year pro from San Diego by surprise.

Johnson believed too much blame was being heaped on starter Byron Leftwich for the Bucs' 0-3 start and 24-0 loss Sunday to the New York Giants.

"Surprised? Yeah, honestly I was because it wasn't just Byron,'' Johnson said. "I felt like Byron had done a good job leading our offense and yesterday was just one of those days where didn't nothing go right. And as a quarterback of a team, if I was in the same situation, I'd would've been the guy to have to take the fall.

That's just the natural reality of the situation of being a quarterback in this league.

"Surprised? Yes. Will I be ready? Yes. Prepare the same? Yes. And the guys have been supportive. Byron has been supportive. Coaches have been supportive and we're a close-knit team. And it's not just about me changing this thing around, it's about all of us changing this thing around. we all have to come together and be better to start getting wins.''

Johnson, a fifth-round pick in 2008, spent all of last season and most of this preseason as the Bucs' No. 4 quarterback.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | September 30, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Sorry that should read "The essence of a good approach is.."

Good to 'see' you Dik. How's your life in the ghost of Bush's?

Posted by: Redcoat | September 30, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat, here's your FF update

Another thrill an hour in FF for the Peeps league. And its wide open as there are ZERO unbeaten teams left and only the Steers are winless. Its a 7-way tie for the top spot!!! Ironically, two of this week's winners had a Redskin as their leading scorer, Campbell for Nate and Moss for Future.

My Futaleufu team led the league in FF points this week, defeating Skulls, 127-89. The Futa used a balanced attack, with everyone scoring at least 9 points enabling my team to overcome a huge day from Skull's Maurice Jones-Drew.

The Fins were dropped for their 1st loss by Nate, 81-75. Fins got 31 from Peyton, but it wasn't enough. The nail-biter went down to the end, but when DeAngelo Williams posted just 7 points on Monday night, Nate joined Fins as part of that 7-way tie for 1st, with records of 2-1.

The aformentioned winless Steers fell to the Shaft 99-61. Shaft had 6 slots in double digits led by the jints defense. Meanwhile, the Steers' dynamic ATL connection of Michael Turner, Roddy White and Matt Ryan were busted ... just 18 points total for the 3 studs. Still, Steer's problems aren't all of his own making -- he leads the league in points scored against him.

The Alex's Zombie Hord moved to 2-1 with a 74-49 win over the Jackalopes. The Hord rode desean jax's 22, but it was really a meltdown from the Jackalopes that made this contest. Portis, Jamal Lewis, Housh and T.O. combined for 5 points. I'd say that combo didn't provide the Jackalopes jack ... but that's be too obvious. Instead, lets call the sluggish studs as sucky as a Seattle Seahawk jersey.

In a close contest, the Buffaloes overcame 4-12, 90-83. Trailing by 23 going into the Monday night game, the Buffs got 30 points from their cowboy crap to pull out the win.

Also giving up the ghost of perfection was Noone from Tampa. The Future Winners said the Future is now with their 115-64. 26 points from Santana Moss and 25 from Pierre Thomas led 6 double digit scorers for Future. Noone's beating got a bit uglier, as Frank Gore not only got bagel'd but is also out for a few weeks with an injury.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

brownwood26
Even more important, of the NFC champ teams I can't recall from in that list were passing teams.

2000 Ravens won over NYG with their famed Tike and Dayne Thunder and lightning.

2001 Pats: won over StL with Faulk and his 1382 yards Though Warner did light it up that year as well, may have been one of the greatest O's in history.

2002 Bucs won.

2003 Pats, beat Carolina with Steve Davis and his career best 1,444 yard season

2004 Pats okay they beat the pass happy QB vomiting Eagles

2005 Steelers: bested who? Shaun Alexander, never heard of em, what's that HOF you say?

2006 Colts: Beat the Bears who's no 1 RB had 1200 yds and no 2 had 600 for the season and REX GROSSMAN @ QB....

2007 Giants: Running team

2008 Steelers beat Kurt Warner who finally I can definitively say had little Running Game behind him.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

True Alex...just waiting to see how Greg spins this one.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I hereby dub this week's game as the "Bottom Feeder Bowl" and here is a thought... Jason Campbell has played Tampa Bay two times in his career and never won. Washington has dropped the last three games they've played against Tampa. If the Redskins "play medium" then they should win because the Bucs are less than medium. Then again, I think Josh Johnson could be a spark for Tampa and they are desperate for a win. If the Redskins come in hanging their heads and missing their assignments, this season could reach new subterranean lows by losing to the Bucs.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Fantasy Post:

Thanks Al, Zeke, Fred, etc. My hopes were blown when my D/ST went into minus numbers and my kicker ended up with about 1 point due to a missed kick. Ugh.

Fantasy post OVER

Posted by: Redcoat | September 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Today's listening assignment

Arvo Pärt: Fratres Pt1

Yes, I feel like this about mah Skins' now. "I DRINK YOUR MmmmmILKSHAKE!!"

And just to full "YouTub" out... Here's why I don't like Tom Cruise hanging out on the field... Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it's Larry. He would have called you a hater by now.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

No he would just make up a awful nickname for him first, then come up with a cheep graphic that makes no sense with the nickname then he would call on the nation to try and get you fired

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

On this article from Feb 2008, I thought it was well-written, entertaining, and ultimately a dumb gossip piece.

Nobody claims that Zorn was Snyder's first choice. Nobody claims that Zorn was anything but a fallback option. You could argue that he wasn't even qualified for the HC interview, let alone the job.

But the guy had a good rep as a QB coach, and that includes encomiums from Mike Holmgren. He's obviously not a dummy, as much as some fanz here would like to make him out to be one. He's not gotten what he wants yet out of Jason Campbell, but neither did Al Saunders or Joe Gibbs.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The "Big Dog" on WDAE was not able to talk with Gruden the last two years after he questioned the background of players he brought in. Some real thug type guys who screwed up elsewhere. The had to bring in another radio host not even s sports guy to do the coach's weekly interview show.

Now they players do not like all the bad press they are getting each day on radio, TV, print and web. It's been brutal this week after the pasting the G-men put on them.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | September 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Thx 4 akskin, RC!

Really great!! Just put 1 yr. w/ Mrs. Shuttle [Bootz] under our belts and looking to buy in College Park.

Homesteader once more! How's by Uz?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Are you having a bad day?

Posted by: nixx46 | September 30, 2009 11:33 AM

lol. Sorry. Damn dog woke me up at 4:00am and the coffee just ain't workin'

Posted by: skinswest | September 30, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

wish they would have signed haynesworth...

Posted by: mattylight | September 30, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Danny's master plan is to make Skins fans hate him so he can make a ton of money from t shirt sales like this.

Makes as much sense as hiring a QB coach & making him OC & head coach.

Posted by: will_ga | September 30, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Great to hear that Dik. Have no opinion on the MD-life either way, but my VA-born girl at home would hold no truck with it! :-)

Life is good, work is craaaazy busy (which is good) and the Fins are 0-3, it's 2007 deja-vu all over again!

Posted by: Redcoat | September 30, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

This would be the perfect week to let CP rest his weary dogs and see how the other running backs on the roster can play. Tampa Bay is giving up an average of 187.3 rushing yards a game, so if the running game is going to appear, it should appear this week. I think it might be unrealistic to expect Portis to shoulder the load for the rest of the season, hence giving the young 'uns the chance to prove themselves. Plus, running the ball a lot should setup some decent play action passes which helped Buffalo beat the Bucs two weeks ago.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I respect winners.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | September 30, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | September 30, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I agree with resting Portis this Sunday. If he has these spurs, then this is a good chance to see what the other RB's can do against a horrible rush defense.

Posted by: FedorEm | September 30, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

How come we never do a screen pass or a bootleg?
Posted by: TheJury | September 30, 2009 11:53 AM

I think the screens they run have been about 50/50 successful vs sniffed out well by the d, so I think they should keep running them, but try to disguise them better. I was hoping for the naked bootleg on the 4th and goal….looked like it would have worked well, as the defense completely crashed down and sold out to Samuels/Dockery’s side.

As for the need for a running game, you need balance whether you are in the NFC east or not. No good teams out there “can’t” run the ball, nor do they not have a good passing game. They feed off each other. Defenses don’t worry about the skins running any pass plays more than 20-25 yards because there is no track record or reason to worry, so they concentrate on stuffing the run. Against the bucs, one or two good deep balls to Kelly, Thomas, or Mitchell could really open things up for the next game on so on….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 30, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about Gruden. Has he ever developed a rookie QB (which I presume the skins will have next year)? He seems oftly impatient with QB's. Although I don't necessarily buy into the argument that he only won with Dungy's players in Tampa. Hell he won. And another argument could be made that Callahan only got to the Superbowl with Gruden's players.

Posted by: skinswest | September 30, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

September 30 12:58 ET
QB Jason Campbell on his comfort level with WRs Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas: "I feel comfortable with them, but we still have a ways to go. As they get more involved in the offense it gets easier (comfort level)."

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

our players need to understand every team in the league looks at US as their best chance for a win, whether at fedex or not.

Take that as a shot to your professional pride and come out gangbusters. None of this medium bullcrap. Lose this game and YOU ARE THE VERY WORST TEAM IN THE NFL without any dispute.

If that isnt motivation what is

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | September 30, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I buy into the Dungy theory, because the only year Chucky won the Super Bowl was in his first year, and a big part of it was that Tampa defense...after that title he didn't do much:

2003: 7-9
2004: 5-11
2005: 11-5* - playoffs
2006: 4-12
2007: 9-7* - playoffs
2008: 9-7

Not really impressive...

Posted by: mattylight | September 30, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

September 30 12:05 ET
The Redskins face another young quarterback in Tampa's Josh Johnson. Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache was true to his word last week when he said he "wouldn't change what they do best," and he didn't. Perhaps blitzing a young QB might be one change the Redskins will make this week.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

That response from JC is a punk azz answer. How do you spend all offseason and preseason throwing passes to these guys and still not feel comfortable?

Sad...

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 30, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

September 30 1:10 ET
RB Clinton Portis on his ankle issues: "I've been dealing with the spurs for two years. It was just in the last few weeks they got irritated and sore."

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

How about this guy?

Posted by: skinfanman | September 30, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

no no no no hell no......Leach is Spurrier but not even with as strong a resume. He's never won anything even in the weak Big 12, he runs a crazy offense that only works in college and reports out just this week that his players hate him he's late to his own meetings and he just cost them a game due to his poor clock management. No way.

Between Holmgren and Shannahan I say Shannahan. Both of them didn't do much once they got away from their HOF QBs. Both of them feasted on fairly weak divisions but certainly Seattle's has been much worse for a long time. But Shanahan's offenses were very good even with Plummer and Cutler. He worked well with multiple QBs and was able to produce quality running games year in and year out with almost anyone back there. Denver's problem under Shanahan was always their defense. But the thing that puts Shanahan over the edge for me is he handled big personalities well his entire career (Elway, Sharpe, Cutler, Portis, Marshall, Travis Henry) and he always got production from them. And when their antics got too much he got rid of them (Plummer, Portis, etc.) he never allowed a single player to hold him hostage, he was able to control and congeal a lot of egos and if he couldn't he moved on. That is extremely important in this league especially with this roster that he would be stepping in to with a lot of big paychecks and big egos despite little production. I can't ever remember Holmgren having to deal with anything like that.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 30, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

His triceps muscle surgically repaired, Redskins RG Randy Thomas said he hasn't thought about his future, only that it includes him playing in 2010.

"I’ve never had that thought in my mind," Thomas said today in the locker room about his latest injury ending his career. "Mentally in my mind, I’m never giving up until I say enough is enough."

Thomas spoke publicly for the first time since being hurt against St. Louis on Sept. 20. He had surgery last week -- the third such operation for a triceps injury in the last four years.

"It’s never fun to know your season is over," Thomas said. "I’m just glad I got the surgery done and on my way to get back and help where ever I can off the team, especially with Rinehart, and help him."

Elsewhere in the locker room ...

*I was able to confirm that on the failed fourth-and-goal play from the 1-yard line, FB Mike Sellers blocked Julian Peterson instead of Larry Foote, which allowed Foote to pursue unblocked and stop Clinton Portis.

*Portis said his ankles aren't bothering him but who knows what the real truth is.

*Players said coach Jim Zorn's message to them this morning had no earth-shattering news. Zorn will remain the play caller and the game plan will have the same volume.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

2003: 7-9
2004: 5-11
2005: 11-5* - playoffs
2006: 4-12
2007: 9-7* - playoffs
2008: 9-7

Not really impressive...

Posted by: mattylight | September 30, 2009 1:11 PM

Three playoff appearances in 7 yrs with one SB - not Lombardi but not horrible. Also, he did it won with an old QB (Brad Johnson) with no real replacement in the works. Not sayin you're wrong I was just wondering about him.

Posted by: skinswest | September 30, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

September 30 1:13 ET
Asked if he was worried about Redskins coach Jim Zorn's job, RB Clinton Portis said: "I'm worried about my job! We all should be worried about our jobs."

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

September 30 1:28 ET
RB Clinton Portis discussing the changing expectations of the fans and media: "When we barely beat St. Louis everyone was saying 'we didn't win by enough.' We lose to Detroit, everyone says, 'If they could have just won that game.' This the NFL, a win is a win!"

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

4th, I agree with CP, jobs need to be up for grabs, if people fail to perform this week, then drastic changes in the starting line-ups need to be made....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

September 30 12:45 ET
New starting QB Josh Johnson realizes that first-round draft pick Josh Freeman ultimately is expected to take his job, but isn't ready to concede it just yet: “I look at it like, right now, it’s my opportunity. What happens in the future is really out of my control. All I can control is what happens on Sunday.”

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | September 30, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

No I hear you. I am saying if you buy the theory that he won with Dungy's players, and look at the years afterwards instead for a different sample, he went 45-51 with two wild card appearances...if you don't buy the Dungy reasoning, then I think most franchises would take 3 playoff appearances and a Super Bowl in 6 seasons...

Posted by: mattylight | September 30, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

September 30 12:47 ET
Bucs QB Byron Leftwich, demoted to third string on Monday, said he was disappointed but wasn't surprised by the move. “I think we all knew that I had to win coming out of the gate and that this might be a possibility," Leftwich said. "I knew if we didn’t win enough football games, there’d be a chance – no matter how good I played.”

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

September 30 12:47 ET
Bucs WR Michael Clayton was impressed with QB Josh Johnson's NFL debut against the Giants. “I went to him and I told him I was proud of him, his confidence in the huddle," Clayton said. "He really took control. He’s doing everything that he’s supposed to do."

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the pass/run approach debate:

I don't think one has a clear edge over the other, not anymore. The rules have made it a passing league - but you do have to have the THREAT of a decent running game to win the SB, I believe.

Even the pass-happy 2007 Pats COULD run...they just didn't have to.

Whatever the case, I don't think you have to "run to set up the pass" to win in the NFC East. You can flip that, and be successful, as the Eagles had shown for years when they had an iron grip on 1st place there.

The Redskins, as they are composed right now, appear to be a more effective offensive (insert laughter here) when they throw to set up run. They just don't run block worth a damn.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 30, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

4thFloor,
Take a look around the league at rookie and 2nd year receivers. Seems to me, other QB's develop that "comfort level" with their receivers a lot faster - and more effectively - than JC. McNabb and Kolb have developed a rapport with DesSean Jackson in his second year that has gained 259 yards YTD. Heck, their rookie Maclin has more receptions that Devin Thomas. This is a BS excuse for not getting the ball to his receivers. He supposedly worked all offseason with Kelly and Thomas, but here we are again with excuses.

I honestly believe Campbell makes a decision early in the game that a certain player will get the majority of the catches that day. In game one it was ARE's day. In game two it was Cooley's day. In game three it was Moss's day. It never seems to be Kelly or Thomas' day. Maybe this is Zorn's scheme trying to exploit some matchup problems with the defense. The problem with this is you have to spread the ball around or defenders are going to start keying on players, jumping routes, etc. Plus, you don't give yourself an opportunity to exploit errors by the defense. There were a few times in that game on Sunday when other receivers were wide open, but Jason was intent on throwing the ball somewhere else. When Ko Simpson intercepted that pass, guess who Jason Campbell was throwing the ball to? Santana Moss. Ko Simpson jumped the route because he knew where the ball was going.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"I thought that the quote about about Sellers blocking the wrong guy was interesting...."

Like I said, guy whines all summer about being underpaid, then whines all week about the media being too negative...follows it up on a goaline play where he doesnt touch anyone (he didnt block peterson).

shutup and learn your assignments. Better yet, bench him and make a statement zorn.

this team COLLAPSED into an 8-8 record last year yet almost no starting positions were up for grabs. ridiculous!

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | September 30, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas shouldnt even be on the field. He's been outperformed by Marko Mitchell every day

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

If you ain't first, you're last...

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 29, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Unless you're the only one playing. Then you're both.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 29, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

funniest sh!t I heard all day!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | September 30, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead - I agree. Last year, Manningham was being ripped by the media. This year, he is the man catching TD passes while on his back and being able to juke out our CBs for TDs.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

TWISI, I don't get either. Zorn's stubbornness will/is costing him his job.

UFB!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 30, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

IMO whatever that is worth and probably nothing, I think we should try and lure Kurt Frenetz From Iowa.

Posted by: connskins | September 30, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"3-8 over the last 11 games. In the bottom of the league in ppg. So they stay the course? I don't it."

they looked at 5 plays on film that "should" have been tds against detroit, convince themselves there were a hair from putting up 42pts, and head oblivious into the next debacle confident they are superior to their record and production.

not a winning formula!

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"When Ko Simpson intercepted that pass, guess who Jason Campbell was throwing the ball to? Santana Moss. Ko Simpson jumped the route because he knew where the ball was going."

That was an incorrect hot read by Jason Campbell. But he's SUPPOSED to make up his mind where that ball is going prior to the snap even taking place. It was a clean blitz off the edge with no impedance -- and Campbell read that part. This is football basics, 101. Making the incorrect pre-snap read of the defensive positioning is the criticism that needs to be made here, NOT the idea that he 'locked in' on a receiver. That's what he's supposed to do on that play. He just picked the wrong receiver to do it to on that particular defense.

Posted by: psps23 | September 30, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

rsh, agreed on JC, and his lack of throws to MK/DT. He LOCKS in on one guy and come hades or high water, he's going in that guys direction, to his own peril might I add....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | September 30, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas should be returning kicks and punts. He's also very fast. He ran a 4.40. That's almost Desean Jackson speed. For a guy that's 3 inches taller that is pretty impressive. He is a great deep threat.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 30, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

September 30 1:45 ET
RB Anthony Alridge played with Tampa Bay QB Josh Johnson in the East/West Shrine game their senior seasons. "All I know is the guy can run and has a strong arm," Alridge said.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone didn't get the memo:

THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!!!!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

If you ain't first, you're last...

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 29, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Unless you're the only one playing. Then you're both.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 29, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

funniest sh!t I heard all day!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | September 30, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Talk about a joke grenade...it took a whole day for someone to think that was funny.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 30, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 30, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse
--------------

Not sure if he is a great deep threat in actuality or not (haven't seen it), but I agree he absolutely should be returning kicks.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 30, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

One thing to mention in the vein of "every team looks forward to playing us". That also means they're going to play harder against us. If a crappy team was playing an elite team like the Pats (circa 2007), they would probably start mentally giving up early in the game after being down by 7 or 10. But against us they'll hang in there, they'll know that we can start sucking at any time, they'll be rabid about it. They'll know if they can beat anyone, they can beat us. So our crappy record makes our schedule harder.

Posted by: REXskins | September 30, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

September 30 1:59 ET
RB Clinton Portis (ankles), DT Albert Haynesworth (glute), CB Carlos Rogers (ankle) and FB Mike Sellers (unknown injury) were at practice but did not participate.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 30, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I probably should have said he WILL be a great deep threat. Right now he is still having trouble getting off the LOS and running routes. He was viewed as being very raw and wasn't supposed to have any impact at all last year. According to his scouting report he is developing as expected. He is one fo those receivers that will require 3 years to develop.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 30, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

From the times, not good news:

The Redskins are back at work preparing for Sunday's visit by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but four starters are just watching because of injuries.

Three of them finished 2008 in the Pro Bowl. They are defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (hip), running back Clinton Portis (ankles, calf) and fullback Mike Sellers (ribs). The fourth is cornerback Carlos Rogers (ankle).

All of them were hurt in last Sunday's 19-14 debacle in Detroit. Portis entered that game with bone spurs in his ankles but the calf is a new ailment.

I'd de-activate CP for this game, roll with LB/MM/AA, and see how that works.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon practice update: Rick Maese reports that Portis, Sellers, Haynesworth, and Rogers are not in pads.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | September 30, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Glutes?

Haynesworth's ass is huring him?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 30, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if it's hurting him, but it's KILLING ME!

...dohp!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Great article to put things in historical perspective.

2 HAll of Famers were involved in worst losses in Redskins History than these lovable losers were last Sunday.

1. Dallas (1989 @ RFK) when we had Gibbs 1.0
2. Giants (1966 @ RFK) when Sonny Jurgenson was QBing the team.

Those games didn't stop them from being HOFers, so we can move forward from here.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

from MSNBC,

Zorn leads the way!

Coach firing ranking 8.92 (out of 10)

Posted by: noonefromtampa | September 30, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jwlemons | September 30, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

______________________________

Portis had the advantage of a cut blocking line, and extremely horrible defenses in the AFC west at the time.

You could bring that exact same Bronco offense to the NFC East and there would be no way that Portis would average over 5 yards per carry even in his prime.

Posted by: dfbovey | September 30, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Mostly, I want the 4 top receivers on the field, guys Campbell has the best chemistry with. Moss, Kelly, ARE and Cooley.

What we really need is to understand which plays work and which plays don't. Running left on 4th and 1 at the goal line has been an awful call for us going back to Gibbs 2.0 and the last play vs the jints a few seasons ago.

The fade has been ugly every time its been run here (and few teams actually run that play well -- which is why I don't like it).

We saw Campbell getting pressured by the Lions. If the Lions can bring heat, most will be able to. Put Sellers in for pass protection when the Skins go shotgun. He can pick up an LB or a DL guy if they break through.

As for our run game, we just don't seem to have the horses up front to run consistently. We have 2 big young guards and a good blocking FB, perhaps we need to get some wide sweeps back into the game plan. Not sure how to fix the run game, but up the middle and bounce to the outside isn't it.

But mostly, acknowledge that we need to be pass the ball in order to succeed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

FF update, Hamster League

It couldn't have been more exciting in the Hamsters FF league unless you're a hamster. We've got 2 teams at the top. Suzanne's Trippin Billies and Sween's Ham Stweengs are the only remaining unbeaten's, at 3-0.

The Billies clobbered Butz 110-46, led by the week's top scorer, MJD's 37. Matt Schaub kicked in 21 in the blowout.

Meanwhile Stweengs kept pace at the top with a mauling over psps's Alpa Chino squad, 126-70. This rip job was courtesy of Stweengs 7 players in double digits, led by Pierre Thomas, Jason Campell and tashard choice. Hard to believe, but alpa falls to 0-3, despite a QB named Drew Brees.

Show me some Skin!! Its not out of place here as Ahmad's RealSkins held off the previously unbeaten Zornskins, 80-74. A pair of unexpected guys came up with big games for the Realskins, Derrick Mason and brent celek combined for 38. Still, it came down to Monday night, when romo's modest effort vs Carolina proved too little for Zorn -- not the only time a Zorn coulda used another 6 this past weekend. As they say in the Israeli military, "serves you right' for starting a cowboy QB.

Another unbeaten fell when etrod's E Funk beat cL's F bombers 118-96. The Sunday night game was pivotal, as Funk got 45 points from Manning and Clark. Of note, Peyton and Santana Moss both came over in a trade with yours truly prior to the start of the year. The duo combined for 60 points for Funk to lead him to his 1st W.

The KoolAid kids remained winless at Dealer's hands, 83-52. Dealer's jints defense got 22, while Koolaid got dealt mostly junk. Only Tom Brady made it into double digits for the Kids.

Finally, my Salmon crew knocked the Coproliths from the unbeatens, 75-59. My Packer connection of Rodgers, Driver and Jennings provided 52 points in a game filled where each team had only 3 guys get double digits.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

don't know if it's hurting him, but it's KILLING ME!

...dohp!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Must be a hell of a butt strain, to be carted off the field with a towel over your head, seemingly in agony...

Posted by: mattylight | September 30, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

How do you lose 73-0?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 30, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"Its so funny to read the constant "We need to throw to this guy more or that guy more". Campbell has the 5th best completion % in the league and the only way you get that is to throw to open players. I want my QB to throw to the open guy. I don't care which guy that is -- or if its different from week to week."

Thank god someone else pointed this out. Not only that, he's 4th best in the league at converting 1st downs in the air. Who cares who he's throwing the ball to? It's working.

But here's a novel idea that I saw earlier today. Don't throw it to the guy who's open; throw it to the guy who's covered. According at least one person on this blog, that's what "good" QBs do.

Posted by: psps23 | September 30, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

RT @Redskinsdotcom "Bucs' Raheem Morris and Santana Moss were on '01 Jets. Morris: 'We are really good friends, but not on Sunday because he's an evil man.'"

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | September 30, 2009 1:11 PM

But you can also say Oakland was only in the game because of the work Gruden had done up until that year. You can also say he won a SB with Brad Johnson at QB!

Posted by: skinfanman | September 30, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

psp, my point was the more that MK/DT/FD become viable, the less they'll be able to double SM.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 30, 2009 2:26 PM

Defenses around the league seem to be keying on the wideouts. I haven't done any scientific analysis, but it seems like catches by the TEs are up around the league. Look at who Brady is throwing TDs to. The Eagle TE Celek, had 100 yds receiving on Sunday.

Posted by: skinfanman | September 30, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

How do you lose 73-0?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 30, 2009 2:22 PM

What I heard was that the Redskins practised all week in very cold weather while the Bears practised all week indoors.

Posted by: skinfanman | September 30, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"You can also say he won a SB with Brad Johnson at QB!"

Huh? B. Johnson was better than average QB for a long time. George signing and Johnson spooking is still one of the worst things Snyder ever did. I don't downgrade Gruden b/c of Dungy's team, but I don't overflate just b/c BJ was his QB.

I could give an F what the Wash Times says by the way. They are about as legit as the weekly world news.

Obviously last week wasnt't the worst loss (Joe T punt game against Bears anyone?), but it makes the short list no doubt.

Good thing about this loss was it was early (as oppossed to last seasons Bengals game...) so they can can recover. Will they? Prolly not.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 30, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1,
Look beyond Campbell's misleading stats for a minute. A lot of his completions are on 3rd and long and they come up short because he is taking the safe, underneath stuff that does not yield a first down! From Sunday's game I count five times where the Redskins were in third and long and Campbell threw a completion that was short of yard marker! The Redskins third down efficiency on Sunday was 20%. The majority of his completions are against soft zones fronted by a team holding onto a lead.

I don't understand why people are saying he is playing well. He threw an interception on Sunday, could easily have had another intercepted, fumbled twice, and was largely ineffective for the entire first half. How is that good? A quarterback's job is to score points. From where I stood, the Redskins had scored zero points at the end of the first half and two touchdowns when the other team was playing to conserve a lead. Campbell has thrown for three touchdowns in three games. Drew Brees, on the other hand, has thrown for nine. Campbell is not a good quarterback. I would argue he could be good enough for the Redskins to win, but not for this coach.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"The media down here is questioning a lot of the moves the Bucs made during the off-season and pre-season. Rookie HC and GM, firing OC before season, no major player signings, $30M under cap, letting go a number of fan popular players.If I'm not mistaken, that is the media's job, just like they are questioning Zorn, Vinny in DC."

When a team's not winning, those 'media questions' tilt strongly toward the negative, because that's what draws ratings/ readers. You don't get far in today's media market by disagreeing with the ticked-off fan base.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 30, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse