Skins Awarded Compensatory Pick

The NFL awarded 32 compensatory draft picks to 16 teams today, with the Redskins getting one. That pick -- they now have five -- will be the 34th of the seventh round, the 243rd overall, in the April 25-26 draft.

If you're wondering whom to thank, that would be Mr. Mark Brunell. The full list of compensatory picks, which were announced at the annual owners' meeting in California, can be found at nfl.com.

In other news today out of the meetings, Mark Maske reports that owners appear to be moving toward lengthening the regular season. That most likely would mean that preseason would be shortened, with Commissioner Roger Goodell saying the plan is to stick with a total of 20 games overall in preseason and the regular season. Obviously, there's still some work to do on this. For one thing, players would have to agree to increased compensation.

By Cindy Boren  |  March 23, 2009; 9:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: If the Redskins Had to Pick Today...
Next: Should the NFL Change Regular-Season Length?

Comments

oh first

Posted by: hillb03 | March 23, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey...most people wouldn't think much about a pick like this...but we're really good at blowing higher draft picks (see the past few years as evidence) but are really good at finding diamonds in the rough... in the later rounds.

Examples:
1) Chris Horton (he was the third to last pick in the entire draft last year) and he is a baller
2)Golston
3) Montgomery

So I'm excited about this pick.

Posted by: Jooshman16 | March 23, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, that solves all their draft problems. lol

Posted by: ga8085 | March 23, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Cool, we can add some more depth. I'm thinking DB's or LB's that can play special teams.

Speed kills.

Posted by: edvar | March 23, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Or, being that it is basically a freebie, maybe a kicker! (that can actually kick)

Posted by: edvar | March 23, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Players would have to agree to increased compensation? That ought to be a hard sell.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 23, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | March 23, 2009 10:18 PM

They have those? Where do we get one?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 23, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

THE SKINS NEED THIS GUY! KR/CB Michael Ray Garvin (5-8, 174) created a buzz by running the fastest 40 time (4.24) so far this draft season. Garvin is a world-class sprinter and possesses amazing top-end speed as a kick returner. This type of speed is rare, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see his name come off the board toward the end of the draft as a KR/PR specialist. Florida State

ALSO NO CUTLER!!!!!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | March 23, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

WE HAVE COLT BRENNAN! GIVE HIM A CHANCE!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | March 23, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

ONLY 1 PICK!!! Is this a joke? I don't think a team should get rewarded for having one of their players murdered, but if they are giving out picks for players that teams lost, we lost a Pro Bowler and possible Hall of Famer.

Posted by: F0X7 | March 23, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trezmartin | March 23, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

HOW 'BOUT NO, SCOTTY.

WE HAVE COLT BRENNAN! GIVE HIM A CHANCE!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | March 23, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PORKY666 | March 23, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

DARRELL GREEN WAS THE SAME SIZE AS THIS KID MICHAEL RAY GARVIN!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | March 23, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Kurt, I think if you push the "caps lock" button again you'll be able to type without shouting.

Posted by: edvar | March 23, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Lots of folks have commented on moving Samuels to RT. They cite Jacoby moving from left to right.

When Jake moved to RT, it was because we brought in Jim Lachey (and got rid of a future headache in Jay Schroeder).

Lachey was an All Pro player and pretty much the perfect LT. Jacoby was always fantastic run blocker and I think that skill is pretty transferable anywhere in the line (except maybe when a guard needs to pull). So the swap made sense.

The obvious difference with the Skins today is in who would play the role of Jim Lachey?

Samuels will get some HOF consideration (though I doubt he gets in) for what has been a stellar career. He's very very good at LT, very much like Lachey. Really a perfect fit.

I think Samuels can make the move to RT. He's that rare athlete where has all the pieces. Smart, agile, strong, adaptable, tough, disciplined, etc.

So the question isn't about Samuels, its about his replacement at LT -- I'm skeptical that a rookie will step in and fill that void effectively.

My recommendation, if we get a tackle in the draft -- start him out on the right side and let him cut his teeth there for a year or two. Keep Samuels at a position where he's been consistently excellent

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 23, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

...and Garvin sounds like he'd be fun to watch.

Posted by: edvar | March 23, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Z

Samuels was a first year starter, Jacoby was a first year starter. Both were dominant right out of the blocks. Why can't a kid we draft at 13 over-all be a first year starter?

Any first round draft pick except maybe QB should be a first year starter.

Posted by: edvar | March 23, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Ok, "Any first round draft pick except maybe QB should be a first year starter." might not have been the most brilliant thing I've ever posted (I'm thinking about adding corners and safety's to the list.) At least not for opening game.

On the other hand, Jansen was a second round pick and was a first season opening day starter, and he kicked but.

Posted by: edvar | March 23, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

edvar, whats the risk if we draft a tackle and start him at RT? None really. Samuels is still a force at LT. We can do the swap, if it makes sense, a year or two later.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 23, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

If Alex Boone is still around, they could use that 7th rounder on him.

Despite being a drunk, he played well against Orakpo in the Fiesta Bowl. Boone was projected to be a third rounder before falling off the wagon again.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 23, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Z

I'm not really disagreeing, I'm just kicking around options.

If the guy we draft is a natural LT and struggles at RT, and Samuels can play RT at a high level, then I think that's they way to go. If the new guy can play both, then sure, why not put him at RT.

I think it depends on who we bring in (which I think is sort of your point anyway). I'm just saying, if we draft a guy who is really great at LT, then maybe it's the best move to start him out there rather than make him learn the other side for a year or two and then move him back again. I wonder if Samuels would handle the change better than a rookie, that's all.

Won't really know until they strap on the helmets and snap it, I guess.

Posted by: edvar | March 23, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Z

Do you have this nagging feeling that, with Jansen talking about being back and better than ever (I believe he said "Just put Pro Bowl next to my name this year") and with Heyer for depth, that the Skins are gonna go LB or DE with the first pick?

Just can't shake the feeling.

Posted by: edvar | March 23, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

we need more picks so maybe we can move back and pick up another 2 firsts or a later first and a second and third. The problem is we have a crappy bunch of scouts because we consistently miss with most of our picks, except Horton last year. If you look at most of our draft picks in the later rounds over the years with Vinny, mostly none are on our team anymore!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | March 23, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Zeke's plan for the Skins for the next month:

1. Acknowledge reality. We won't be able to plug in each of the major holes with our lack of cap room and lack of high picks. Some of the upcoming season will be filled by guys requiring some combo of duct tape and hope. Its reasonable to expect we fill 1 of these positions, 2 if we get lucky (last year, we filled 1 with 10 picks).

2. Trade the #13 pick and a high pick from next year for ... the #1 overall and select the top LB, Curry.

Why? Because LB is a position of current and long term need for this team and because this team will need to win with defense for the next couple years. Try to take this defense from good to elite.

3. At DE, we sign Daniels. DE is a duct tape and hope position. Its Wynn + Daniels + Montgomery or Alexander to step up. Oh yes, get Golston back.

4. For the remaining picks, all G or T, with emphasis on RT. Hope that LT, LG, C, and RG are OK for 2009. Samuels, Dockery, Rabach and Thomas. A risk, for sure, especally Thomas. At RT, we use duct tape and hope that some combo of Jansen, Heyer and 'tbd draft pick' can play at a reasonable level. No doubt, we'll be running left.

The other obvious duct tape and hope spot is WR. No change there, its go with what we got. RDE (Carter) is a weak spot, but manageable if we have Albert playing at a high level and good LBs.

Roughly, I'm following the blueprint of the 2008 Ravens. A shutdown, elite defense with only one highly questionable spot (LDE) coupled with a conservative offense with several questions that succeeds by minimizing mistakes (which we can do).

We are going to have problem positions, no matter what we do in the draft. So go for dominance on one side of the ball, and try to upgrade the other side next year.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 23, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

...............
Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 23, 2009 11:31 PM
==========================================
Alternate plan: Trade down to a late first round pick and a 2nd rounder. Use the first pick on Alex Mack, the best prospect at center in years.

Why? Because C is a position of long term need for this team and because Mack can help at guard right now. This team needs to improve its offensive line in order to become a perennial contender for the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

There's still going to be plenty of linebackers on the board in the 2nd round.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 23, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Zeke -

Interesting ideas. Not sure I like Curry at #1 over-all. The guy doesn't get sacks. If I'm gonna shoot the moon with an LB, I want a Ware/Merriman type who destroys the backfield and ruins everything.

Also, would like to find a way to do this without touching any of next years picks. I just think we burn ourselves every time we do that.

With a 1 and a 3 this year, we should be able to get two starters. Maybe not opening day for both, but perhaps by October. (I'm thinking Tackle and LB)

Our D was ranked 4th last year, and we added Haynesworth. I think we need to start building another dominant O line, not just a good one with late round picks - I mean dominant. Next year, we are probably going to have to address center and a guard spot, so let's grab a tackle this year.

Isn't playing GM fun?

Posted by: edvar | March 23, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Thunder -

With more teams switching to 3-4, have a 315 center with a mean streak doesn't sound like a bad idea. I still think we need Tackles, but like I posted above, we're only a year (at best) away from center guard issues with Rahbach and Thomas.

To my eye, Rabach spent way two much time last year three yards deep in our own backfield.

Posted by: edvar | March 24, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

z -
I don't get it. Your plan claims to focus on defense, but you spend three picks on the OL. We already have a bunch of late-round/FA oline 'prospects'; I don't know which if any of them are more than justaguys, but it's not like the 7th round comp-pick OL is going to be anything better.
And is the difference between Curry and the #2/#3 LB prospect so vast that we need to spend two #1s to get him? Highly unlikely. You can make an argument that we can get a starting LB -- or someone you could envision rotating with Washington -- in the 3rd round.
There's plenty of elite talent available with #13. It's quite possible that the best available will actually be a position we need. It's even possible that Vinnie will noodle it through and make a decent choice.

Posted by: daggar | March 24, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Trade Portis for a LB. Trade Campbell for whatever maybe 3rd rounder and start Colt Brennan. O/Tackle with #13 and more O ine with 3rd round.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | March 24, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | March 24, 2009 12:00 AM
==========================================
I noticed that, too.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 24, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

daggar -- your justaguy comment makes a point. As I see it, we'll have several spots where 'justaguy' has a chance to become 'the guy'.

I see major holes in 2009 at RT, LDE, LB -- call them the duct tape and hope spots. Also have potential problems at RG and WR.

RT is the biggest problem, finding 'the guy' might be a numbers thing.

I haven't seen Curry play, but the descriptions are a lot those used for Calvin Johnson ... a real can't miss guy. If there really is another LB thats 98% of Curry a few slots further down (ie cheaper), I'm open to that. I just haven't heard that.

I still come back to my bottom line on this. Our success in 2009 will come from defense.

We have 2 guys who can cover in Hall and Rogers. We have Albert who is a major matchup problem. We have Fletcher who is a tackling machine and a coach on the field.

Adding another highly athletic player will allow Horton and Landry to be in position to make turnovers in coverage and to attack the line. Adding another 'justaguy' -- not so much.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

And since it will take too long to fix our O.L., let's just ignore it for another year?

How did that work out for us, last year? Of course, since they're all a year older, this year will be better...
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 24, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

If everone is so sure Jansen is done why don't we cut him after june 1st absorb the hit next year when theres supposedly no cap? Then we could sign someone like pace for one year if we can't draft soeone capable of starting this year!
And another thing why don't we sign holt or harrison to the vet minimum with gaurented money next year you can't tell me we couldn't use one of those guys as a possesion slot type. cut ARE next year because he's worthless
And on D resign daniels and washington if they won't come back cheap find a couple stop gags.
But what do I know I'm just a fan

Posted by: DG28 | March 24, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

ANd as far As Rabach he was playing next to a washed up kendall and injured thomas and very few centers can take on the big defensive tackles in this league by themselves. So with Dock back samuels and Rabach should be fine. my concern is thomas and jansen staying healthy or at least coming close to there old form because we still have no depth beyond Heyer and theres no garuentee we will pick it up in the draft with so few picks and our front office

Posted by: DG28 | March 24, 2009 1:21 AM | Report abuse

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya

Back to my FIRST point. Acknowledge reality. We can't fill all our holes. The question is what do we do first.

I'm suggesting we deal with the offense like the Ravens did. Avoid mistakes and pick your spots ... let the defense take care of the rest.

I'm suggesting LB with the top pick if we can get a top talent to go along with our other major impact player and several quality players.

I'm not ignoring the OL. Never have.

Two years ago, I suggested we use the entire draft on the OL ... because I saw the day we'd get old. Last year, I suggested we use 4 of 9 picks on the OL (we got the 10th pick later). This year, I'm suggesting using 4 picks on the OL, hoping 1 pans out.

A few seasons back, we drafted the 3rd best CB with the #9 overall pick -- Carlos Rogers. He's a decent player who has missed a bunch of time with injuries and rarely makes the key INT. Rogers isn't a bust, but you'd hope for more with a #9 pick.

What people up here are suggesting is getting the 4th best tackle in the draft with the #13 pick. I'm thinking that is likely to leave us with 'Carlos Rogers quality', not excellent.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2009 1:32 AM | Report abuse

we're gonna need more cool aid!!!

Posted by: deadskin | March 24, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

"THE SKINS NEED THIS GUY! KR/CB Michael Ray Garvin (5-8, 174)"
...
Posted by: KurtShanaman | March 23, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

The Skins already have signed these two small, fast Sproles-like RBs:

# Name Pos Ht Wt Exp College Birth Date
39 Alridge, Anthony RB 5-9 185 1 Houston 11-24-1983
32 Dorsey, Dominique RB 5-7 170 1 UNLV 05-07-1983

Posted by: siris | March 24, 2009 1:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DG28

Could happen I guess. The Skins need to turnover a lot of their roster in the next 2 years. Its mostly a matter of who goes when -- and cap hits are part of the equation.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2009 2:01 AM | Report abuse

The Skins already have signed these two small, fast Sproles-like RBs

siris

Guys that are Sproles-like in size aren't usually Sproles-like in talent

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2009 2:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AntonChigurh | March 24, 2009 4:54 AM | Report abuse

add 'em up!

Posted by: BMACattack | March 24, 2009 4:57 AM | Report abuse

antonchigurh: It is amazing though what a difference a year can make. In 2004, 3 probable HOF QBs were drafted - Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger - in the 1st round. The very next year, 2005, 3 QBs were also drafted in the 1st round - Smith, Rodgers and Campbell - and none of these guys are even close to the elite level. You might say that to be fair we should give the 2005 guys another year of development time. But it should also be pointed out that before the 2008 season started, the 3 2004 1st round QBs had already reached the elite level."

Also a good observation. Draftable players are always viewed in the context of the others coming out that year at their position. 04 was a strong year, 05 maybe not so strong. But you still had 3 drafted in the first round.

Suppose all 6 had come out in the same draft year. What order would you have put them in, using hindsight?

In some ways, Campbell is the best of the 3 from his year. But he's still a notch and a half below the 04 guys. In 04, he probaby would have fallen into the mid-second round.

I think maybe that's what's happening with the offensive tackles this year. It's a very talented group, and there are a lot of them. But I wouldn't put them in the same class as last year's crop. But they may well benefit from GMs hoping to score like Miami and Carolina and Atlanta did in 08.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 24, 2009 5:11 AM | Report abuse

Just to continue the thought for a moment, I think this may be a year for pass rushers. Like the OTs, there are a lot of them, and they're all very talented. I'm including Aaron Curry in that group, which is a borderline call, but depending on where he ends up, he could be better than Jerod Mayo. BJ Raji, another big talent, could be a little overrated because there are so few outstanding DTs coming out.

But one of those guys like Orakpo, Everette Brown, Larry English, could be another Shawne Merriman. THe trick is picking the right one.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 24, 2009 5:20 AM | Report abuse

"One thing that people seem to have forgotten on this board is that Anthony Mix is very tall.Posted by: trezmartin"

True, and that's why the Skins signed him, on Jason Campbell's strong recommendation.

Jason's been consistent in his request for a big receiver to catch the ball in traffic.

So if Mix comes back, maybe he can fill one of the team's main needs better than Malcolm Kelly.

On the other hand, Mix isn't a very impressive athlete.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 24, 2009 5:35 AM | Report abuse

Did I miss something? Anthony Mix got cut at the beginning of last year.

Posted by: pv1999 | March 24, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

RFA = RFA

Therefore,

Heyer = Jacoby

(possibly)

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 23, 2009 5:29 PM |

Uhhhhh still no. Jacaoby was a 12 year starter (including rookie year), 4 time Pro Bowl selection, 2 time first team All Pro selection, who anchored one of the most successful lines in pro football and dominated at his position until injuries started to get him later in his career.

Heyer is a pretty good right tackle who may become a starter some day, but should definitely make a reliable back up if not.

Posted by: edvar | March 23, 2009 6:14 PM

Actually, Heyer did start as a rookie......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

I believe it was Madden?? During 07 when Collins was the talk of league, a commentator mentioned how, with a poor OL (3 seconds at most) Collins was still making his progressions to 4 "Reads". Jason is known for only reaching his 2nd Read within a 3 second drop back. This is why he has evolved into a short yardage pass QB (no time for WR separation). And it is also why he is destroyed inside the red zone...ie. 2 Reads in a compressed defensive back field which can now rush former "drop back Line backers" (because its a short field). Which reduces JC's drop back to less than 3 seconds and results in 1 Read and a forced play...ergo his terrible red zone stats.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 23, 2009 2:33 PM |

Interesting post. How well a QB works his checkdown is an important determinant of how successful a play will be. In Campbell's case, you would think he would check first to see if Cooley and Moss are double covered and if so then go quickly to the receiver who is most likely to be open (in case both Cooley and Moss are double covered then either (a) another receiver is open or (b) there is very little pressure from the pass rush and a back can curl out of the backfield and get free). Cooley and Moss tend to get get good separation in single coverage.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | March 24, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

"In Campbell's case, you would think he would check first to see if Cooley and Moss are double covered and if so then go quickly to the receiver who is most likely to be open..."

ARE had 53 catches (career best) and 4 TDs (also career best). Devin Thomas couldn't run a route correctly and Kelly couldn't make it on the field.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

any extra pick is a good pick..as mentioned Horton was a 7th rounder.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

"And it is also why he is destroyed inside the red zone...ie. 2 Reads in a compressed defensive back field which can now rush former "drop back Line backers" (because its a short field). Which reduces JC's drop back to less than 3 seconds and results in 1 Read and a forced play...ergo his terrible red zone stats.
JC hasnt improved in this area in 4 years and never will. And the opposing D coordinators know it."

Did you even look up any stats to back this up? The stats I'm looking at have JC as the 11th best QB in the redzone in 2008.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

"The stats I'm looking at have JC as the 11th best QB in the redzone in 2008."

*11th in attempts, 19th in rating. If Kelly can get on the field, hopefully the red-zone difficulties will diminish.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

lots of great stuff up here last night....from trade portis, to trade up in the draft, to Anthony Mix is the solution....I mean, just overall great stuff....high comedy to say the least.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Those of you who subscribe to DirecTV's Sunday Ticket package can look for the price to rise. DirecTV is increasing their payment to the NFL by 43%, from $700 million per year to $1 billion per year. Even in a recession, peeps gotta watch the NFL!

On the other hand, since you're watching the games at home, you won't have to pay higher prices for parking and concessions. Plus, if you want a new Redskins jersey, you can still get a good deal at a close-out price on a Taylor 55. Since you're watching at home, who will know the difference?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

We're just doing this all wrong! Look at the Patriots they let the high priced FAs go and bargin shop for quality veterans. Then they get rewarded with more picks. The one problem is they know how to draft unlike the Redskins. They were awarded almost as many picks as we have in the draft. I hope there is someone at 13 that the Pats would like and we can trade down with them. They have a 1, three 2s, two 3s a 4, and two 5s. When is Dan going to wake up?

Posted by: PEIL | March 24, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Matt Mosely was on NFL Network last night from the owners meeting, and they were talking about the NFC East, and he was saying that the Redskins were looking at Mike Oher, if they stayed at the #13th pick and he was there. Which is good news...at least they acknowledge that OL is an issue...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

McShay on OT's in the draft:

While it won't stretch eight deep like it did in 2008, there could be another first-round run on offensive tackles due to lack of supply for the enormous demand. That bodes well for Mississippi's Michael Oher, Arizona's Eben Britton and Connecticut's William Beatty, who make up the second tier of talent at the position. Like Andre Smith, Oher possesses excellent feet for his size but motivation issues and inconsistent play mean drafting him in the first round is a high-risk proposition. Britton looks the part of a mauler but his game is built more on finesse than power. And Beatty is a bit too soft for our liking, but much like Duane Brown a year ago Beatty has the raw athleticism to land a spot late in the first round.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Trade back, maximize picks, pick smart, build the lines. Will we do that? My guess is no. Plenty of O line talent later on. No need to use our 1st pick on the 4th best tackle. Mack, Unger, that Samoan dude from Oregon all could help us out. Anyone know of some more O line talent that is expected to be around later in the draft?

Posted by: FedorEm | March 24, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

fed, smart plan, but takes 2 to tango, I'm all in favor of trading back, but there has to be something at 13 to move up for....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I think trading down is the better option, depending on who is/is not there at #13.

We should use ONE of those late round picks on the biggest WR left on the board.... I mean, we only have 5 WRs and FOUR of them are not good.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 24, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

"The stats I'm looking at have JC as the 11th best QB in the redzone in 2008."

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 8:14 AM |

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only quoting Madden or some other network commentator from 07 when JC was injured and Collins was going 4-0 with the same OL. It was a great opportunity for a pure comparison. Too bad Collins didnt get to play in 08.
I believe JC was last in scoring (passing TD's) inside the Red Zone. Anyone have that stat??
I know the Skins scored less points than the 0-16 Lions.

Previous post..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 23, 2009 2:33 PM |

Posted by: AntonChigurh | March 24, 2009 7:42 AM |

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | March 24, 2009 8:49 AM

FedorEm,

Exactly which teams do you think will want to trade up to #13, and what do you think they are offering for this opportunity? Do you think the 'Skins should trade back to the 20's if all they can get is a first and a third?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

any extra pick is a good pick..as mentioned Horton was a 7th rounder.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 8:06 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Too bad Vinny couldnt take credit for Horton.. Horton's coach at UCLA was an ex Redskins coach under Gibbs and he contacted Snyder directly to suggest the pick.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 24, 2009 8:58 AM

So, who do you think will be left in the sixth and seventh round who is better than the guys we have on our roster?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Everyone understands that we can't just trade back because we want to right.

Some of you act like the Skins can just tell the NFL they want to trade back and it's done, you have to have someone willing to trade up.

The Pats have alot of picks but they hate high end first rounders, so they are not going to trade up.

I like the trade back option to, but it will be hard to find someone willing to trade up, and spend that extra money on a higher draft pick.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 24, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 9:03 AM

Dude,

About 200 coaches contacted Snyder and Vinny to pimp their players. That's how this business works. Someone still has to make a decision as to which of the 200 has the best chance to make the team. That was Vinny.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 24, 2009 1:06 AM

I think it was more due to injuries than old age.

Sameuls was hurt.

Kendall had tired legs/knees (He is te only one I would qualify as too old to start).

Thomas had a neck injury and was recovering from the torn tricep.

Jansen was still recovering from that broken ankle.

And Heyer was just underminded by the head coach.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see a WR that can take Trash place on the team. A young player with some upside. Here are a couple of players that are supposedly solid mid to late round picks at WR: Johnny Knox and Dudley Guice. Knox is a blazer, he ran a 4.3 40. He's 5"11" aand returns punts and kick offs. Guice is 6"2" and rund the 40 in 4.4 seconds. Here's what one scout says about Guice "shiws a wide range of catches on fade, deep post, slant and then "go" routes. He displays good concentration, outfighting a double-team once to catch a tipped pass."

Posted by: TWISI | March 24, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 8:40 AM

That says to me we won't be taking a OT, especially if the top tier is gone. This is the month of misinformation.

And as McShay AND Mayock have said, Oher is not a top tier guy. And with the 13th pick in the draft, why would you NOT pick up a top tier player????

Just remember who led the charge....

No to Oher....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"RI: "Is Drafting a QB at 13 the Way to Go?" Who knows? It is amazing though what a difference a year can make. In 2004, 3 probable HOF QBs were drafted - Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger - in the 1st round. The very next year, 2005, 3 QBs were also drafted in the 1st round - Smith, Rodgers and Campbell - and none of these guys are even close to the elite level. You might say that to be fair we should give the 2005 guys another year of development time. But it should also be pointed out that before the 2008 season started, the 3 2004 1st round QBs had already reached the elite level.

Posted by: AntonChigurh"

Sometimes, it really baffles me where these ideas are fathomed.

Three "probable" HOF QBs? Hardly. One "probable" HOF QB, one "possible" HOF QB, and one guy who has plenty of work to do to even be considered a HOF candidate.

"But it should also be pointed out that before the 2008 season started, the 3 2004 1st round QBs had already reached the elite level."

Had they?

Philip Rivers 2007 statistics: 60.2% completion, 3152 yards, 21 TDs, 15 INTs, 82.4 rating

Philip Rivers 2008 statistics: 65.2% completion, 4009 yards, 34 TDs, 11 INTs, 105.5 rating

Funny how his 4th year in the league looked so positively ordinary, yet his 5th year looked so spectacular. What a difference a year makes, indeed.

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Nothing's worse than when people post "mega plans" for the team. Having a good idea is one thing...acting like a GM is silly. Get to work.

GO SKINS

Posted by: JHvet1 | March 24, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

On the subject of trading down in the first round, you might take a look at past drafts in wikipedia. Some of the trades were for players well before the draft, but there were eight first round trades on draft day:

No. 7: Patriots to Saints. New England traded its first- and fifth-round selections (No. 7 and 164) to New Orleans for New Orleans' first- and third-round selections (No. 10 and 78).

No. 8: Ravens to Jaguars. Baltimore traded its first-round selection to Jacksonville for Jacksonville's first-round selection, two third-round selections, and fourth-round selection (No. 26, 71, 89, 125).

No. 15: Lions to Chiefs. Detroit traded its first- and third-round selections (No. 15 and 76) to Kansas City for Kansas City's second first-round selection, first third-round selection, and first fifth-round selection (No. 17, 66, and 136).

No. 18: Texans to Ravens. Houston traded its first-round selection to Baltimore for the first-round and (second) third-round selections Baltimore acquired from Jacksonville, and a sixth-round selection (No. 26, 89, and 173).

No. 19: Eagles to Panthers. Philadelphia traded its first-round selection to Carolina for Carolina's second- and fourth-round selections in 2008 (No. 43 and 109), and Carolina's first-round pick in 2009.

No. 21: Redskins to Falcons. Washington traded its first-, third-, and fifth-round selections (No. 21, 84, and 154) to Atlanta for two of Atlanta's second-round selections and its fourth-round selection (No. 34, 48, and 103).

No. 25: Seahawks to Cowboys. Seattle traded its first-round selection to Dallas for Dallas' remaining first-round selection (No. 28) and its fifth- and seventh-round selections (No. 163 and 235).

No. 30: Packers to Jets. Green Bay traded its first-round selection to the Jets for the Jets' second- and fourth-round selections (No. 36 and 113).

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 9:03 AM

Dude,

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:08 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Vinny, oops.. .I mean talent_evaluator...
When an ex employee of Snyder's and Gibbs (DeWayne Walker, Redskins coach for 2 years) calls the owner recommending a prospect he coached for 3 years at UCLA, you dont think that is influential?? Horton was NOT discovered by Vinny's scouting team. It was DeWayne Walker.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Some interesting stuff from the owners meetings.
- Dallas gets snubbed for opening weekend, and says that they “are having to work with the league on some things”…..Jones must be seriously po’ed. I love it.
- MNF games are celebrating the 50 years of AFL play. I wonder if there will be some good throwback games this year.
- If you read between the lines, the main reason for discussing adding reg season games is purely for revenue. Go figure.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 24, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Horton was NOT discovered by Vinny's scouting team. It was DeWayne Walker.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 9:23 AM

And two hundred other marginal players were "discovered" by other coaches. Do you really believe that there were players drafted by anyone that their coaches didn't recommend? And do you really believe that anyone was drafted solely on the basis of being recommended by his coach?

Vinny made the pick. DeWayne Walker didn't pick anyone for the Redskins.

Look, there's a good case against Vinny. But he made a good move when he picked Horton.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 24, 2009 9:24 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Agree to some extent.. However, players are not paid for preseason games...and thus the Owners get pure profit for those games. In this new scenario, there must be a negotiated revenue share between the owners and the league (probably a higher Ad revenue percentage) to offset the Owner's loss of possibly 2 preseason games and high profits.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Dallas I think wanted it like that because 2 weeks before week 2, there will be a college game played there and they wanted that 2 weeks to fix any kinks......

The BIGGER news I think is that Goodell doesn't think there will be an Uncapped year. Though it may be 'toughman talk', this would not be good for Danny and the Redskins.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Vinny doesnt make ANY PICKS. That is why he is still employed and there is no GM. Everyone knows Snyder acts as the defacto GM and makes the final Draft Pick decisions, ala his mentor Jerry Jones. Snyder made the Horton final decision based on DeWayne's (ex Redskins coach and Horton's coach) recommendation.. A fact well published.

talent_evaluator... are you at Redskins Park, right now??
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Horton was NOT discovered by Vinny's scouting team. It was DeWayne Walker.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 9:23 AM

Vinny made the pick. DeWayne Walker didn't pick anyone for the Redskins.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:30 AM |

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 24, 2009 9:24 AM

Don't you just hate it when people run their businesses to make money? What a buncha wh0res.

Personally, I don't care why they do it. I'd just love to have more regular season games and fewer pre-season games. I'd even be willing to pay money if they did it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"A fact well published."

Interesting. Care to share that published research? You seem mighty confident about this.

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

IMHO the major problem with our line last year wasn't the tackles. It was the interior of the line. We had no pulling to the outside or push up the middle in the run game. Teams blitzed the A and B gaps relentlessly and Rabach and Thomas got abused for most of the season. I hope they trade back and get some sort of combo of three out of Mack, Britton, Oher, Loadholt, Duke Robinson, or Max Unger. Depending on how far they drop in the first Mack, Britton, and Oher are all legit possibilities. If they get Mack in round one they can get probably Loadholt or Britton in round 2 and the best available guard in round three, or maybe even trade a mid round pick next year to get back into the second and get a top guard. Obviously a lot of if ands there but IMHO we need two interior players more than we need 1 tackle. Heyer is a good pass protector who struggles some in run blocking, if you put an athletic road grader next to him and an athletic pulling center like Mack all of a sudden his burden isn't as big in the run game, he just needs to handle his guy and let Mack and the guard worry about getting to the second level. I agree and understand tackle is a need as well, but Randy Thomas looked way past done last year and Rabach has always been a little overloved to a Torrence/Rock level here, we need an upgrade on the interior first and foremost IMHO.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

His "good move" was listening to DeWayne Walker.

Posted by: mack1 | March 24, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

When's the last time the Skins changed their logo?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Yeah the more I think about it 13th is not a highly coveted pick, so we may not have a trade partner even if they wanted to move back.

Posted by: FedorEm | March 24, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I would love less preseason and more regular season. The real reason they want to do it is they are trying to expand to foreign countries like London, Mexico, and Canada but don't want to cheat current season ticket holders, so if they add extra games and put some of those abroad it won't feeling like the season ticket holder is losing a game. It only has a little to do with increasing domestic revenue, cause we're already charged for the preseason games as is, it has everything to do with increasing foreign revenue, presence, and popularity. Which is smart in my opinion, and all I know is now I'll have to watch less crappy games with CFL players playing most of the snaps or Justin Tryon on the field and get to watch more real games that matter even if they are broadcast from soccer fields.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

SkinsneedaGM you're acting as if no one every heard of Horton before the skins drafted him. The fact that the skins pulled the trigger based on the recommendation from a person that they trusted because of a previous working relationship should be commended.

Posted by: TWISI | March 24, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:35 AM

I’m pretty happy with a 17 week season….more games could better if we are good an in contention. Otherwise it just drags out the misery and will shorten careers.. Hopefully they will start the season before Labor day if there are more games…..seems like each season starts later and later into September.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 24, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

It only has a little to do with increasing domestic revenue, cause we're already charged for the preseason games as is...

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 9:44 AM

Jack,

Networks, and advertisers, pay much less for preseason games than for regular season games. This increases domestic revenue.

And, if they move games overseas, then they gain foreign revenue but lose domestic ticket sales.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

No changing of the logo should be permitted for the Skins/Bears/Steelers/Girls/NYG/Browns/Raiders/KC/GB..........

Also, I agree with TE, this is Vinny's show and he does the picking. He has connections acroos most colleges, including DWalker. All these coaches recommend their best players. DWalker I am sure recommended more than just one of his players, but Vinny picked only one.

I am sure he was on the radar already....

But that was the 1st draft that was all Vinny. This year will be #2...........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Heard on sirius NFL this AM (during stern commercials) that in addition to the pre/reg season game issue they are seriously looking into revamping the game day active/inactive roster rules and the 53 man/practice squad rules. Man I hope so....nothing is dumber than what they have now. You should be able to dress 53 and your practice squad should have easier access between 53 and the squad! And no waiver BS...they are your players. Make it happen owners!

Posted by: chrislarry | March 24, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Sweet on the comp pick by the way. Makes up slightly for the tard E. James move.

Last year 7th rounder = rob jackson who is still hanging around for development. Lotta value in RD 7.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 24, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Goodell has already stated multiple places specifically on Mike and Mike and the Dan Patrick show that a major goal of his and the league's is to expand their international profile and that they want to play multiple international games each season but that they have to find a way to balance it so that the core fan doesn't get cheated and one thing they'll look at is possibly expanding the season. And now they are....soooooo seems to me that's the reason behind it.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 24, 2009 9:46 AM

I enjoy a Redskins game even when we're out of it. To me, it's never "misery."

I just like to see them play, and I'd rather see a regular season game than a pre-season game. Pre-season games are pretty sucky. That's what this is about -- shortening the pre-season and lengthening the regular season; replacing sucky games with real games.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

They would have to increase roster size because of the increase in injuries.

You may also need more of a capable #2 QB because the risk of injury to your core is going to be so much greater......

Also no more Night Train Lane hits with the forearm to the head......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

When's the last time the Skins changed their logo?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 9:42 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lions are probably looking for more merchanise sales revenue.. New Logo's tend to jump start the same.
Hope Skins leave current logo alone..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

te, don't waste another second argueing with that clown. Somehow every team had a shot at Horton, but the Redskins drafted him, however VC should not get credit for it.

logic, its whats for dinner....

Flound, how goes the softball??

The eagles/panthers trade intriques me. If we could trade the #13, for a 2, and a 4 this year, and a #1 next year, I'd take that in a second.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

4th, Skins have already changed theirs...3 times I believe.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Some of the ideas I read on here are really bad. Just mind boggling bad. As I see it Skins needs are . . .

1A- SLB
1B- LDE
2- RT
3- Oline depth, CB depth, depth in general

SLB is slightly more of a need than LDE b/c at the moment we have nobody even remotely close to starting quality at that spot. In fact we have one relaible LB on the whole roster and he's about to be 34. LDE is a big need as well but I think Wynn/Daniels? and a Wilson type for pass rushing situations is a slightly better situation that what we have at LB right now.

RT falls behind these two b/c while Jansen/Heyer is far from ideal its serviceable for another year. If both can stay relatively healthy I think the play at that spot improves. Big if though.

Skins need to draft bpa from SLB, LDE, or OT. Period. Trading down would be ideal but may is prolly more difficult than it seems. I really felt like we should have got more than we did when we traded down last year. And then to use all 3 2nd round picks on pass catchers was just terrible.

Posted by: VaTerp1 | March 24, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

add a pick fo rthe hoome team

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 24, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

You're right. I'm talking about no more changes.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

David Patten signs with a team...And the NFL may tweak rules to further protect QBs.

Posted by: CindyBoren | March 24, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Also no more Night Train Lane hits with the forearm to the head......

Posted by: 4thFloor

Oh come on 4th! Nothing like a strong forearm hit.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | March 24, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Goodell has already stated ... that a major goal of his and the league's is to expand their international profile ...soooooo seems to me that's the reason behind it.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 9:54 AM |

And, to prove you are right, Goodell will probably donate all the extra TV revenue to a worthy charity...say, the Red Cross, the March of Dimes, or the talent_evaluator_relief_fund.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Jack, agree with you on moving the games to other countries, but it will only be a few; most owners will still get some extra revenue. It will just be interesting to see how the players feel. Goodell is thinking increase popularity/revenue, and owners want that extra home game….

And Vinny should get credit on the Horton pick. Even though he came highly recommended, I am sure the Redskins were not the only team Dewayne Walker called. And it was ultimately Vinny’s decision.

As far as uniforms go, someone please tell the Seahawks that they really need to redesign their whole looks. The “logo” is okay, but the whole blue theme is just god-awful. Skins haven’t changed since 1972, except for the one little change in 82 that had the feather curl along with the Indian head…changed it back in 83.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 24, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

4th,

As I just said they are already discussing roster expansion rules visa vi the allowing of full squad dress and more shuttling and control of practice squad dudes....

If they dress a full 53 and kill the dumb 3rd emergency QB rule...Pat White's draft stock will rise...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 24, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

#243 that could be another Golston or kareem Moore (was he a 7th or was it Horton)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 24, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Flound, how goes the softball??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 9:58 AM |

We went 3-1 over the weekend, my daughter did well she pitched a complete game giving up two runs striking out 10.

She was also hitting the ball very well, will see how it goes when we start facing some tougher teams.

Thanks for asking.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 24, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 9:58 AM

You convinced me, Greg. Once again. I think he's changing his screen name from SkinsneedaGM to Villageneedsanidiot.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Did You Know:

The common housefly regurgitates its food to chew it again before finally swallowing it?

The same pattern of discussion dominates this blog.

We've discussed lengthening the season--and so, this fly will lay his two little eggs.

I'd prefer and 18 game season, with three pre-season games.

I think a common bye at week, say, nine is fair to all teams.

The league could then have championship rematches during the bye weekend and those teams get the following week as a bye.

The roster should be expanded to 60 players and the league should do away with the practice squad concept. This would let free agent/undrafted guys move from place to place for a team that can assess if it needs their services.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

When's the last time the Skins changed their logo?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 9:42 AM

I believe there was a minor adjustment to the feather in the logo back in the early to mid 80s. Since then, nothing.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

flound, good stuff, good to hear....

te, the "village" stuff made me laugh out loud.....sorry, but thats about as accurate as could be....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 9:58 AM |

Does sound good, doesn't it? And then Vinny would turn around and trade this #1 plus next year's #1 for two #2's this year. You'll see.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

talent evaluator -

Im not saying a late round WR would be BETTER, but we don't have ENOUGH talent at the position. Maybe we add a 6th WR this year, or maybe a new guy takes the place of Thrash.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 24, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 24, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

'...And the NFL may tweak rules to further protect QBs...'

Why?

You read all the time that players at every other position can't walk, think, or feed themselves after retirement, but somehow the league feels it needs to save the quarterbacks who evetually wind up in the broadcast booth with lame stories about how tough the game is.

I guess the league's thinking is the quarterback is that the quarterback is the snail darter or some such other endangered species.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"You're right. I'm talking about no more changes......."

Lame. I say they go old school with it and put the curly R on the sides of the helmet and have the really old school feather running up the back. The Giants went back to their roots...looks 100 times better than their previous logo.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I think a common bye at week, say, nine is fair to all teams.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 10:04 AM

Moe,

Worst idea you've had. A week in October without football? No way. Bye week is not about "fairness." It's about making a longer season for us, the fans.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Ok TE give Vinny credit for "picking" Horton.... But also give Vinny "credit" for passing on DeSean Jackson TWICE, picking Devin Thomas (15 rec, 16 games) and Fred Davis (3 rec, 27 yards, 11 games) ahead of him.
Jackson equaled Thomas' and Davis' full year reception output in the first two games of his career last year.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 24, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

JM220 - I just report what I hear baby......

Also, if a defensive player is on the ground, he can't 'lounge' at a QB.

And no more 3 man walls on KOs.

Cl - I was just saying that it prob would need to increase from the number 53, possibly to 60.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm listening to DeWayne Walker right now - it's like smooth jazz, with a sort of a samba twist to it...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 24, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Also, if a defensive player is on the ground, he can't 'lounge' at a QB.

Thats gonna be called the "Tom Brady Rule"

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 24, 2009 10:09 AM

I'm guessing Plan A is to get more production (talent) this year out of Thomas and Kelley. And I'm guessing that Plan B is to sign a vet free agent if/when Plan A falls through.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"7. Rock Cartwright, FB, Kansas St.
7. Gus Frerotte, QB, Tulsa
7. Kelvin Bryant, RB, North Carolina
7. Rich Milot, LB, Penn St.

7. Rob Jackson, DE, Kansas State
7. Chris Horton, S, UCLA"~redskins.com

trying to get my facts straight, so Cartwright and Horton recent 7th round selections

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 24, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I was commenting on Vinny's eagle eye on Horton, just saying any extra pick is a good one at this point.

If Oher or Smith are there at 13, I'd probably take them then get the best LB in round 3. If the best 4-5 OT's are off the board, shop the 13. If you can't get good value for it, switch the order and take the best LB then best OL in Round 3. It's just that simple! I wish...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

excuse me, I WASN'T commenting on Vinny's eagle eye...excuse the grievous typo (not a Freudian slip, I assure you)...I don't want to get banned from this blog...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure there is a lb worth the 13th pick, Orakpo excluded because he just wont be there...I'm not excited about Maulaga, Cushing, or any of those guys

What about this....what if the Redskins just didn't make a selection when the #13 came around....what if they did like the Vikings did a few year ago and just waited on the pick?? Just throwing it out there...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 9:58 AM |

Greg, who aside from Vinny would make such a stupid trade? Maybe Vinny is now wheeling and dealing with himself to ensure that he gets the best of it? Then again, he'll also get swindled too....or of course both parties could break even....stupid zero sum gain

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 24, 2009 10:24 AM

You're baiting TheCork, aren't you?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Aaron Maybin will likely be available at #13.

I hear he can line up as a strong side LB as well as DE.

It's starting to sound like Oher isn't a good value pick at #13.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 24, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Did the Vikings do that on purpose?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 24, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator

'...A week in October without football?...'

There would be football in my system.

If you read the suggestion, it says there should be a rematch of the previous seasons championship games that weekend which should insure rather competitive games, unlike the Thanksgiving Day Lions/Cowboys farces that we all suffer through now.

And there is something to the fairness issue.

I bet bye teams late in the season do better than those who get a bye at, say, week four.

Anybody know the records--won v. loss--of a team coming out of a bye playing a team that's been grinding away without one or had one very early in the year?

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"I'm not excited about Maulaga, Cushing, or any of those guys"

Me either, draft this guy next year:

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 24, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 10:22 AM

I'm glad you corrected that...he's got more like a camel toe for talent...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

beantown

'....I'm not sure there is a lb worth the 13th pick...'

You're assuming that Vinny Cerrto, a guy who says he drafts based on the best availible athlete, is going to take a need guy.

I think a lot of folks are going to be crushed when the team snags, say, a corner or a player at some other position--not that I'd agree with that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Peter King, and before your panties bunch...relax its not like the guy doesn't have good sources, and he even complimented Snyder this AM, said on Sirius NFL this AM he thinks the Jaguars moving to London within the next 5 years.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 24, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

SIGN DANIELS, then trade down with DETROIT to protect our cap # and have picks two&four added to our own. With CURRY gone there's not that much left on the board at OLB anyway. Here's where VINNY and the scouts earn their pay. I know, I know, with the fun-bunch in the FO thats problematic at best. Take OLB at #2, With the depth in this draft wait and take a right tackle at #3, RIGHT GUARD at #4, OLB at #5, DE at #6 and GUARD/CENTER at #7.

Come back around in the next draft for a first round DE unless a CHRIS HORTON shows up with the 6th this year.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 24, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

LOL Brownwood...moose knuckle even? Actually, I think too highly of those entities to compare them to that bum. How about the eye of a bat?

And Greg, that Vikes post was a POD candidate...as Judge Schmales said to Danny Noonan, "top notch, top notch!!"

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 10:35 AM

Moe,

Look at the history. Consider Fred Davis. First, fans were skeptical. Then, as they saw the logic, they were open-minded. It was only when he was late for practice that they really came down hard on Vinny and were crushed.

If we can get a corner who will show up for work with the rest of the team, I think we'll all be happy again.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Moe,

I just don't see it happening; Drafting a corner or a QB or something completely out of touch & off the wall like that.

I understand BPA and hear that's Vinny's creed.....IMO,

I don't want Rey Magulaa or whatever. Cushing, I like though: Per draftdog, " A stud linebacker (6' 4" 248 lbs). Cushing was the strongest linebacker (30 reps) and had the fastest 3-cone time (6.84 seconds) at the Combine."

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 24, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG

makes good sense, but if the best 5 OT's are gone there should be a DE, OLB that's slipped to #13

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 24, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Seventh round pick for Mark Brunell? Sounds like the NFL over-compensated. I was thinking we'd get six bottle caps and a condiment pack of relish, so this is a bargain.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 24, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

'....Rob Jackson, DE, Kansas State...'

This guy will be next year's Chris Horton?

Having him, Buzbee/C Wilson means the team might think it has young blood at the position of de, take faith in Blades, and not draft a de/slb with the 13th pick.

The team may look at Heyer, have faith in him, and choose not to draft a tackle.

Vinny Cerrato has said he believes inhis roster and wants to see some of the younger players on the field.

This point belies all the hopes of bloggas who want to add players at positions--tackle/d-end/slb--where the team feels it has young cheap guys already.

So keep blogging away about Orakop/Cushing/Matthews/Maybin/Oher/Smith/Curry et al.

Moe has a sense the team is gonna take a player that no one's discussed yet: Malcolm Jenkins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

that was my thought/hope too pabrian...if there's a run on OT's like last year, we could even get Orakapo. I'd definitely be OK with that, not that Boy Wonder and his sniffling sycophantic sidekick much care what I think.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

...I'm not excited about Maulaga, Cushing, or any of those guys

Posted by: BeantownGreg

I'm not big on these guys either, but Maybin is a DE but 6'4" 246, so maybe OLB at #13.

I doubt if everette Brown would slip to #13 but he's another tweener

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 24, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 10:44 AM

Moe,
Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 24, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

From ESPN:

The wiser idea: Attack the idea on the cheap, and trade down for more picks. The Redskins need depth, and compiling a platoon of still-unsigned free agents such as Kevin Carter, Bertrand Berry and Vonnie Holliday would allow them to rotate players in and out depending on the down and situation, all the while feeding the team's veteran fetish.

IMHO I'd love a Berry or Kevin Carter signing as well as Daniels and let Andre Carter be in a rotation with Wynn, Daniels, and Berry or Kevin Carter. Andre Carter was often blocked 1-on-1 by a tight end last year, he is miscast as an every down DE. He is a situational pass rusher and that's it. You sign those guys on the cheap and trade back to address oline. IMHO SLB is an easy fix. Marcus Washington spent most of the season hurt last year and we were ok with Blades and Fincher there and they are hardly big time talent. Behind Haynesworth Griffen and an improved Dline our linebackers will see fewer blocks and be able to flow to the ball. With Fletcher there he can help bring young guys along we just need to draft a couple LBs late, bring in 7 or 8 undrafted young guys and let them all battle it out for playing time, if you don't like the way it looks bring in a vet in the preseason, there are always veteran LBs on the market, look at Godfrey a couple of years ago, but we need youth, speed and durability there and we should be able to find that without wasting a high pick or a big contract on it.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2009 10:35 AM

I've tried not to think like that, but I just have this feeling the team is going to do something we don't expect at #13. My brother thinks Vinny is such a moron that they'll take a fullback, but I won't go that far. As long as they don't do something REEEEAALLY nuts like take a QB or a safety, it should be alright.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Moe, if we take Jenkins or any corner for that matter, I will stop being a fan for 1 day this offseason to voice my discontent. That'll show em.

Seriously though, even Vincenzo can't do something that dumb....we just signed Hall to a huge deal, Rogers is above average and has Pro Bowl potential, and Smoot is serviceable for depth. To say nothing of the Prodigal Son, Justin Tryon. This would be D-U-M-B. That spells Vinny...which is why I'm a little nervous....

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

It is hard to argue with taking DB's with early 1st round picks. But, he's long gone at #13, no?

Also, even Vinny must recognize the contributions of Samuels and the need to get his heir apparent in place. I'm sure he does like Heyer and Blades, but we need 2 tackles

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 24, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

My brother thinks Vinny is such a moron that they'll take a fullback, but I won't go that far...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I needed a few laughs today. thank you all. fabulous stuff.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Chin up Not LMG!

Posted by: chrislarry | March 24, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Jenkins and Vontae Davis both will probably be there at 13.....but there's no way we take a DB, it will probably end up being a pass rushing tweener like Maybin or the FSU end and once again our line will break down as Randy Thomas and Samuels and Jansen all get hurt....

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

To say nothing of the Prodigal Son, Justin Tryon.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 10:51 AM

And "nothing" is the best thing anyone up here has ever said about him. Dude's rising. He's back to zero.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

From ESPN:

Eagles to trade up to draft a top tackle?
With 12 draft picks in April's draft, including two first-rounders, the Philadelphia Eagles may be looking to trade up to the top of the first round in an effort to fill their most glaring need at offensive tackle, according to Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer. It is expected that the top three offensive tackles will all be off the board by pick No. 10, and the Eagles will probably want to upgrade the position before the start of 2009 given the departure of Tra Thomas, the uncertain future of Jon Runyan and their current options on the roster.

Of the teams in the top 10, the Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Oakland Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars and San Francisco 49ers would probably be the more likely of the crowd to trade down for the numerous picks the Eagles could offer, since those teams need help at a wider range of positions. The teams in the top three spots are unlikely to view anything the Eagles would offer as enough for one of the top three players, as these draft picks are used in the hopes of landing a franchise cornerstone.

would this help or hurt us?

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Bertrand Berry resigned with Arizona last week.

Having an NFL franchise located outside of the US is an utterly stupid idea. Few if any players are going to want to play there not to mention they will be at a complete disadvantage with all the travel.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | March 24, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Then give me Kevin Carter, Daniels, and/or Holiday.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

zjfr2 If the trade is with the Browns or the Bengals, I think it helps push down a defensive player to the skins. The Jags and Raiders are most likely looking to offensive skilled positions (WR for both teams, and maybe RB for Jags as well), so I don't see much help there.

Posted by: TWISI | March 24, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

would this help or hurt us?

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 24, 2009 11:02 AM

Help us so they can take the bust Oher.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

would this help or hurt us?

Posted by: zjfr2

If we want OT, then No it doesn't help. Unless they take a BUST off our board. If we want to trade down it may help.

re:OT Even if they think Heyer is the next Anthony Munoz that's only 1 OT who isn't in the twilight of his career

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 24, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

chin is despite all, still up CL...now if we take a DB, it will be tough...

zjfr2 - if the Eagles get Monroe or Justin Smith, that would not be good. with their bounty of picks, I think this is very likely tho

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Here's what the Redskins should do:

(1) Sign Orlando Pace. Between Pace, Jansen, and Heyer, each of them is good for about 5-6 games of quality, healthy play. Rotate the offensive tackles based on gameplans and opponents -- Jansen in the weaker opponents, more run-oriented gameplans, Heyer in the weaker opponents, more pass-oriented gameplans, Pace in the NFC East games.

(2) Sign Torry Holt. Vet WR, immediate upgrade over Thrash, possibly has some juice left in the legs, could battle for anywhere from the 2-5 WR spots.

(3) Go all out defensive in the draft. Get an attacking DE with the 1st round selection. Someone highly skilled at getting after the QB. Don't really care if he's a "tweener" or "undersized", just if he can consistently beat 1 on 1 protection. In the 3rd round, get a moldable and consistent LB. No gamebreakers needed at the LB spot, just somebody that can be relied upon to fulfill responsibilities within the scheme. In the 5th round, take another DE, this one being a high-motor run-stuffer. A rotational guy that can work in with Wynn and/or Daniels on 1st downs. In the 6th round, take another OLB. Somebody that can back-up both OLB spots, if not all 3 LB spots (another Blades-type). In the 7th, stick with what we do best, and draft a safety. Just because. This guy will probably end up being the best of all the draft selections, and Blache will create the "Python" package just for him, which includes 2 down linemen and 4 safeties, 3 of which are sent from all different angles on the blitz.

We then rely upon the natural improvement of Jason Campbell in his second year of the west coast, Jim Zorn in his second year of playcalling, Sherman Smith in his second year of coordinating, Thomas/Kelly/Davis in their second years as professionals, and the Dockery, Pace, and Holt signings to improve this offense to respectability. And with Haynesworth and the draft selections, we take this defense from great to elite.

Guaranteed Super Bowl, right there.

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

the skins aren't drafting a DB in the first. There paying Hall big money. Plus you have Rogers

Posted by: thehogs | March 24, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I heard that Snyder is directing Vinny to do whatever it takes to get Mark Sanchez. He apparently wants to make him a movie star in his production company with Tom Cruise and sell "Dirty Sanchez" tees at FedEx. He also was quoted as saying "yea, he has a pretty good arm too I guess, but priorities people..." Vinny was seen in tow with sniffer up kiester saying "what he said"

I ask you - did you have to think for a brief minute whether I was serious or not? I know you did.

God help us

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

re: chin up- Good to hear Not LMG!

"Dirty Sanchez" Tee Shirts would almost be worth drafting Sanchez!

Posted by: chrislarry | March 24, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

by the way we've been talking about the possibility of CB or RB or even WR for a while.

Some fans are even saying QB.

There's some perry jerry and raji fans out there. I even saw K on someone's need list.

There are 4 SEC lineman that could be a reasonable value at #13. There is no way to tell if a guy is a bust before the draft, but SEC lineman have a good rate of success. We can go on either side of the ball to a need position so...

Smith, Oher, Jackson, Ayers. Well, Ayers could be taken further down

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 24, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

psp, it is interesting. Could we afford Holt, Pace and also a 1st rd pick? We're only about $7 million under the cap right now, probably need to restructure some more deals.

I have to believe Kelly and/or Thomas will show up this yr...Kelly seems to have the right attitude and the size/hands...question is - is that knee worse than we know? Apparently half the teams took him off their board, not a good sign. thomas seems to be a head case, but maybe he's growing up. Holt could be a good influence.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | March 24, 2009 11:04 AM

Agreed. To have the NATIONAL Football League outside the nation is dumb. And if you look at what happened with the Canadian teams in the NBA, it just doesn't work. American Football is only of interest to America and it would be ridiculous to try and force feed it to other countries. Just like trying to make Americans like soccer...try as you might, it's just not gonna work.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Guaranteed Super Bowl, right there.

Posted by: psps23

I agree with SOME of this , but not the signing of old pace and holt, we don't need aged veterans at those positions

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 24, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

ha CL, true... I'm about to run to meetings but would love to hear your take on the draft (I might've missed it in earlier posts)...OL? LB? DE? MIA, per Beantown??? you know what they say - if you don't pick, you can't take a bust

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 24, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I worry about the LB spot more and more, cuz I just think back to when we had Warrick Holdman in the games for us, and his constant bad lines on RB's going to the outside, missing them completely and watching so so many 20 yd runs.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 24, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

ZJ,

It sounds like the Eagles could our tackle.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 24, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

If the Redskins could get their hands on Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith or Michael Oher, then I say pull the trigger at 13 and be happy with some quality talent at tackle. If they can't, and I don't think any of them will be left at 13, then trade down for two second round picks and go for an interior lineman and a linebacker. What they should do after that is look for playmakers who don't have flashy stats. The league is becoming too interested in a guy's workout numbers and there will be some players at this level that can improve a smart team willing to take a chance. Oh, and before the draft Danny should call Bobby Beathard and ask him to run the draft instead of Vinny. Buy Vinny an ice cream cone, a colored balloon and send him to the zoo for the day.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 24, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd like for us to take a DT with that first pick [Perria Jerry]. We need to build inside out. Start with the trenches and it makes everyone else better.

If you have a front-four that can push, your LBs have it easier when charging the gaps to make tackles and it leads to more 2nd and longs.

If you have a front-four that can push, your LBs have it easier against RBs in the flat and TEs in the middle and it leads to more 3rd and longs.

If you have a front-four that can push, your DBs don't get caught by double moves and you don't have to blitz as often because the QB doesn't have time to get that far down in his reads. Which of course leads to more 3 and outs.

Therefore, drafting a quality DT to complement Haynesworth will get Jason Campbell and Co. more opportunities to score with better field position.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | March 24, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse