The P.M. Practice Report

Practice has begun, with players in shorts and shells. Anthony Mix, LaRon Landry, Todd Wade and Justin Geisinger are working off to the side with trainers. With Stephon Heyer back at second string, Chad Rinehart is back at left guard. With Geisinger not taking part in team drills, Andrew Crummey is in his spot. Malcolm Kelly is catching balls with the receivers, but I'm not sure if he will take part in team drills. Ladell Betts and Kelly are not doing much; Randy Thomas is taking part in team drills.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 18, 2008; 1:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bugel Returns to Redskins
Next: Kelly Returns to Practice (Sort Of)

Comments

I am starting to get concern about Dirty Thirty.

Posted by: jm220 | August 18, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

RC

I just replied to your email to the league account, but not on the league page... I wont be in town for the draft... is there an auto-draft function?

Posted by: Zebra | August 18, 2008 1:41 PM

Posted by: Zebra | August 18, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Starting?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS FROM REDSKINS PARK;

Right before practice started Clinton Portis has been caught physically assualting Washington Post's Jason LaCanfora in a remote area of Redskins Park. Redskin Park security arrived before LaCanfora could be severely injured as he has been taken away with only a few minor bruises on his face and a pair of broken Versace glasses. According to Park security the only witnesses to the one-sided tussle were Team Owner Daniel Snyder and his hair dresser Vinny Cerrato who both declined to comment on this untimely incident. At this time the whereabouts of Clinton Portis are unknown.

Posted by: Larry Michaels to the Wahington Post | August 18, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

lame!

Posted by: funny police | August 18, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

So we have seen just about what our starting O would do over the course of 2/3 of a game. They have played for by my math 20:09 minutes. All and all Campbell has 160 yards by this point thats not too bad is it?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 1:50 PM

Your math may be worse than your spelling.

Posted by: Pythagoras | August 18, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Bad form Larry Michaels. You could have at least mentioned that Portis was portraying his Bud Foxx character...even then it probably still wouldn't have been funny.

Posted by: swb | August 18, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

** RI FFL post **

Z and others who asked. Here is the link that explains the 'autopilot' feature on the draft for those who cannot attend on 8/30.

** End of RI FFL post **

Posted by: Redcoat | August 18, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Freaking Hillarious !! I bet Clinton Portis is hanging out with Lavar Arrington at the radio station.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

After a few beers I think Jasno could get a bit scrappy...just show him a pic of Vinny and let him loose.

Posted by: David | August 18, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking Alex figures that 20 minutes of offense is 2/3 of a game for the offense, figuring the defense gets half the time.

I'm also thinking that if Alex knows that the first team offense has held the ball for 20:09 in preseason, that he might be neglecting his GF.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Game 1 2 Drives
1:17
3:47

Game 2 2 drives
3:05
5:41

Game 3 2 drives
:45
5:34

I get 20:09

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Easy enuf RC...come on ESPN> pick me a good team!

Posted by: Zebra | August 18, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm also thinking that if Alex knows that the first team offense has held the ball for 20:09 in preseason, yes that he might be neglecting his GF. yes! Best part is she does not care

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 2:00 PM

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how much Vinny and Danny paid Clinton to pull off a hit on J-Lac. Seems like it didn't work to good, he only lost his Versace glasses.

Posted by: Virgil Mudd | August 18, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

More power to ya, Alex

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Also, didn't Crummey play at center as well last game????

Posted by: 4th | August 18, 2008 1:59 PM

Posted by: 4th | August 18, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

WOOF WOOF WOOF

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Is someone willing to host a pic for my RI FF team logo on a website? Apparently it can't get it from where it is now.

If so, feel free to cut and paste it from this location:

and let me know the link

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Better than my logo Zeke, but then mine had family significance.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

AL;

Why dont you just set up a photobucket account? It is free image hosting.

Posted by: Zebra | August 18, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

**********************************************

Wouldn't 20:09 be a little over 1/3 of a 60 minute game?

Posted by: Hmmm | August 18, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Buges back, my prayers will still be with him and his family.

Rando on offense:
I can't see keeping four Rb's on this team. Either Rock or Mason must go. Neither are good at picking up blitzing LB's, so their even. Rock has more experience against top notch defenses, Mason has little to none. Mason has looked good against 2nd/3rd teamers and everyone should keep this in perspective.

I like both but one has to go.

I thought McMullen had a decent night but dropping that one pass plays right into his motif as a WR. I just don't think pro WR's should drop easy passes. I do think pro WR's should make exceptional catches at times. Mix sitting out hurt his chances in my opinion. Until Thomas and Kelley show me something, I'm not sold on them. I know you don't cut 2nd round draft picks, but do we need two more injury prone WR's to go with this bunch. I'm sick of our WR's being hurt every season, all season.

I now have alerts for Jon Jansen. I love the guy, what he's done for us, playing with broken hands/wrists, longevity, etc. But he now has me red-lerted on playability for the entire season. I hope he can prove me wrong and play great all year.

Our rookie Rheinhart looked bad for the first time, against better talent. Buges needs to work him up. Glad to see Heyer making it back.

I don't think Zorn has shown much of his offense during the preseason, which is a good thing as long as the guys can execute new plays when needed. I think you saw the Jets, maybe the first team, pregame some against what Zorn's been doing. This slowed our offense and made it look sloppy. With only a few plays used, this should not be a problem.

Zorn has continued to impress me with his media comments and how he handles himself. Once again, bottom line is winning regular season games. I hope he can institute a good (mixing-up) gameplan each week. Not become predictable, unless this offense can just dominate a team when the defense knows its coming. (I don't think we're there quite yet) Zorn must be able to deceive teams during the game and all season. I still like his chances to succeed, however, our talent level needs to be higher in the long run.

Posted by: rando | August 18, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Hmmm;

Does the offense play all 60 minutes? You can throw the flag on yourself for that.

Posted by: Zebra | August 18, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is Turf Toe? (Silly name that.)

Posted by: charlie | August 18, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Right, I think typically a team sees anywhere from 25-35 minutes on the field on one side of the ball. I cant remember a time where 1 team had 40 minutes with the ball.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is Turf Toe? (Silly name that.)

Posted by: charlie | August 18, 2008 2:19 PM

Not sure but Coles had it his last season here for the whole year, though I think that was actually "I give up toe"

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Charlie, there is this great invention, search engines... if you got here you can get there...

Posted by: Zebra | August 18, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, quitting smoking is a b@tch

Posted by: Zebra | August 18, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

And for all those who havent had this, just try walking while consciously lifting your big toe off the ground... then imagine having to run, or cut or accelerate....

Posted by: Zebra | August 18, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'll check out your logo Alex, are you in the same league? Mine has significance. I'm in it. See those two legs? Mine :)

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh hey Zeke, I looked in the HTML code of that page you posted for your picutrer

Should be:

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Mine is kinda part of a family crest (I cant find the actual family crest but its the same animal)

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I cant remember a time where 1 team had 40 minutes with the ball.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 2:21 PM

Any team that played the Buffalo Bills of the early 90s. Go check it out.....

Posted by: 4th | August 18, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Holy hallux rigidus!

Ouch, having turf toe sounds like a b!tch.

Posted by: charlie | August 18, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Any team that played the Buffalo Bills of the early 90s. Go check it out.....

Posted by: 4th | August 18, 2008 2:35 PM

Except in the super bowl, right?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Any team that played the Buffalo Bills of the early 90s. Go check it out.....
_____________________________________________

Didn't the Bills go to 3 or 4 straight super bowls in the early 90's? I would think their offense held the majority of TOP but I could be wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Trying Alex, not yet working

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

How do you find the link on a Mac?

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

My logo, my great grand father changed our family crest when they moved to the Virgin Islands during WW2 and the ancient version of a Sea Horse was the main image.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

How do you find the link on a Mac?

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 2:46 PM

Zebra, would you like to handle?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Ta Da!!! Thanks for all the support :)

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Who is a better Tackle? Jon Jansen or John Daly (golfer)

Posted by: Kid Bro Sweets | August 18, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Nice history Alex

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Rando, as regards WR dropping easy passes: I guess you never saw Charlie Taylor play!

Posted by: BigJ7999 | August 18, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Portis should kick JLC's arse for saying "shorts and shells" way too much!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, quitting smoking is a b@tch

Posted by: Zebra | August 18, 2008 2:25 PM

I'm with you brother, this ought to make you laugh:

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Man, tough call on the RB situation. Nobody else wanted Rock in the off-season, but now that pre-season is halfway done and the injury bug has started rearing its head around the league, there's got to be someone who would like to have him.

If Mason goes back on the practice squad, he's probably played his last game in burgundy and gold. Someone would certainly sign him as a #3 RB.

I love Rock, and he's an ace on teams. He really hasn't impressed me coming out of the backfield, though. Too much east-west, not enough north-south. Other than him breaking off that long run against the Jets, he hasn't excited me. (And that's the kind of run that you need a back to finish.) But he's the sort of fiery guy that you want on your team.

Mason keeps the ball moving toward the goal line, as opposed to the sideline, and the kid is dang slippery. Will he ever be big enough to be a starting back? Don't know. But his running style makes me think that he'd be good for eating the clock and putting away a tired defense late in the game.

I see the two as having different skill sets, instead of being two sides of the same generic third back coin.

I think you find a way to keep them both. If that means moving a drafted-but-so-far-unproductive WR to the p-squad, then so be it. If another team signs that WR away, again, so be it. Would you rather have two healthy RBs or one injury-prone WR?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 18, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Zeke

For the Future in Safari you can go to view select source and that gives you the html of a page. Search it for .gif's or .jpg's to find the pictures source url.

In mozilla its roughly the same except its called page source.

I am such a geek.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

beepbeep

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Freakzilla, you dont put a 2nd round draft pick on p-squad. Wr's take 2-3 years to develop. someone else signs him an he becomes an pro bowler and we look like idiots. if someone signs mason we dont look like idiots because we had clinton portis. the same way the ravens do look like idiots for not keeping priest holmes because they had jamaal lewis at the time.

Posted by: Great One | August 18, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

anyone (cough, freakzilla, cough) suggesting putting a 2nd round draf choice on the practice squad for sure has down syndrome.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

IR before practice squad. Practice squad, he's gone.

Posted by: rando | August 18, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 18, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Taylor was one of the best WR in Redskin history. A hall of famer.....

I did watch Charley Taylor, but was a young fan and not as attentive as I should have been. Plus, to a young fb fan CT could do no wrong.

My favorite thing, when Charley Taylor scored a touchdown, he would hold the ball up with one hand and just signal touchdown with both arms. Classic Charley Taylor.

For some reason, I don't remember him dropping many passes.

Posted by: rando | August 18, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse