The Practice Report

Barry Svrluga reports:

London Fletcher, Marcus Washington and Fred Smoot are not out for practice. (Smoot has been excused and will return tomorrow.)

The following players are limited or not participating: Clinton Portis, Chris Samuels and Shawn Springs.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 4, 2008; 1:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blache on Flacco's Development
Next: Blache: Ravens Fun to Watch, Not to Play

Comments

Let me be the FIRST to say... I hope our guys heal up fast. We need everyone for this week's game.

Posted by: 88mph | December 4, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

GAWD, I hate beepage....

As I was saying

+++The difference between Flacco and JC17 is that Flacco has an elite teacher and experinced OC in Cam Cameron.

We have an inexperinced HC and OC, who happens to be the QB coach. And his name is Jim Zorn. What QB has he helped bring up the ranks?+++

Nope, the REAL difference is in the offensive line and receivers available.

Baltimore's OLine (and three RBs, at least one of whom is healthy each week) provide a run attack, and the pass blocking allows him to run his progressions.

Before the elderly, smallish Redskins OLine got worn down, no one complained about Campbell's performance. Portis was fresh, too, and Moss didn't have hamstring problems.

Now the skins line is beat up, as is Portis, and the run game is no longer formidable. Surprise, that effects the passing game which is additionally damaged by Moss being out of the picture, and ZERO contribution from the drafted or FA receivers Cerrato brought in this year.

Amazing, how much easier it is for a QB to develop when he's allowed to pass from an upright position against a defense that fears the run and respects the receivers.

Posted by: TheCork | December 4, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Moss out of the picture? Huh?

And as for that guy - I thought we were promised no more Flacco posts...I feel so cheated

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 4, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, Cork.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 4, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

All four more games of Springs. Great player but I am really tired of him being hurt.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 4, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Alright Greg, I don't know what else you want, but here it is:

Did the Redskins make the right move by not signing DJ Hackett: yes.

Do I want DJ Hackett on my team: no.

However,

Will the DJ Hackett signing hurt Carolina whatsoever now or in the future: NO. No lost draft picks. No lost salary cap space.

Now apply that last question the trade of Jason Taylor.

I know it's difficult for you, but just imagine once, just once, that the front office actually could have made a mistake that hurts this team. Is that even possible for you?

Posted by: psps23 | December 4, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

that's well put psps23. we need to make more moves like that- signing vets to smallish contracts with no picks involved. D. Hall was a good start. We should probably give him a multi-yr deal since Springs is ancient/brittle.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 4, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Nate - I don't know Zorn. None of us knew Zorn (as a coach). You can only go with what we know now.

And it's 50-50 right now. Wil he or won't he adapt. West Coast or Redskins Football. Bump Midwest. Make a decision. Right now I'm thinking, how can you run a WC offense with a Bugel running game?

As JLaC noted, the Ravens are adapting their offense to the QB and not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I put the Sonny comment in as I was emptying out my head of thoughts for my 1st post of the day. Not trying to connect the dots in any way. But I am still trying to feel this guy out (JZ).

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

JLaC said Zorn knows something about 'Elite' QBs. I assumed he was talking about Zorn. It couldn't have been Hasselback, could it?

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 2:02 PM |

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"What QB has he helped bring up the ranks?"

Just the lowly Matt Hasselbeck from 6th round pick backup to pro-bowl quarterback.

Posted by: psps23 | December 4, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Springs knows his days are up here and is milking it for all it's worth by not practicing. He's really coming across as a giant pu**y to me be not practicing and playing. I mean over a month for a sore calf? Come on! I'm really sick of him. He's the only one that doesn't come to camp and he's the only one who is being a sissy with his injury. You didn't see Jason Taylor sitting out when he had a giant cut deep into his muscle that was oozing out blood etc. Grow a pair Springs!

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | December 4, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

psp, I have no problem skewering this FO, none what-so-ever.

How long did they sign him for?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Washington,Springs, Betts, Jansen, Thrash, Randle El, Plackenmeyer, Fabini--anybody that's old and nonproductive have SALARY CAP casuality written all over them. The Skins should take the time to get younger and faster on offense ASAP. If we fans are to suffer losing/non-playoff seasons, let it happen because the team is re-tooling--and not because it is giving away money and draft picks to people way past their prime.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Hasselbeck has been above avg (a couple Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl appearance)...nad of course ZMan played the position for 9 yrs...I'd say he knows QBs

that said, I hope he starts give JC more free reign, taking more shots. What's the difference between these two scenarios:

1) run for 2 yds, run for 5 yds, out route/screen/curl incomplete- punt
2) Play action deep (incomp), run for 4, yds, incomplete - punt

Three yards in field position. Both end with punts. But one gives you an opportunity to hit a home run. And let's face it, if JC throws a pickle 50 yds downfield, it's like a good punt. Most of our drives end with punts anyhow, might as well take some shots. I know it's not that simple- part of it is having the playmakers to do it - but they can't double Santana all the time. When there he is manned up with no safety help and we're at better than our own 30 yard line, we have to start thinking about going deep. 2-3 times/games that situation should present itself.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 4, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Actually Jason Taylor sat out quite a few games this season. And when he did play he was largely ineffective, unlike Springs.

Posted by: driley | December 4, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I never respond to Cork, but after reading your post, I know you do not follow Ravens Football. And I'm sorry Cindy put herself out there to agree with you.

1. Their OLine was called young and inexperinced before the season started and ours was called great. Now, it's the opposite for both.

2. No one was calling our OLine Elderly, smallish. Not JLac, not anybody.

3. You're making up excuses for the players like your name was V Cerrato.

4. The 'Experts' all said that the Ravens WR sucked last year. Now they're Greeeat!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 4, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

4th, be prepared to be called something such as a "nimbypoot", or a "ficklyprog" by Cork.

Only he knows the meanings of his insults.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Notorious_LMG - That's all I'm saying. Deangelo Hall was a great signing. I've said that from the beginning. Even if he ends up getting torched down the stretch, it wouldn't be a bad signing because the Redskins lost nothing out of it.

Similar to Shaun Alexander. I never wanted him in the first place, but I would never say he was a bad signing because he cost nothing and we lost nothing because of him.

Greg - he has a 2 year contract. If they want, they can cut him in the offseason with no salary cap implications.

Posted by: psps23 | December 4, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 4, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Cork: I agree with what you said minus the mention of the Ravens receivers..

Mason is the only decent one and I don't think he exactly stretches the field. Clayton has been considered a draft bust with the exception of his "break out" game last week...

Posted by: Skins211 | December 4, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse