Redskins thrilled with Maake Kemoeatu's progress

Kemoeatu, who sat out the 2009 season because of an achilles injury, impressed team officials with his tireless work ethic while he rehabbed at Redskins Park for most of the offseason, the team sources said. He was at the complex several times a week working with the training staff, but needed to take some time off as training camp, which begins Thursday afternoon in Ashburn, approached.

Because of the favorable reports on Kemoeatu, many in the organization believe that barring injury, the former Carolina Panther standout will start at the nose tackle position in the season opener Sept. 12 against the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field. Kemoeatu's recovery could be good news for disgruntled all-pro defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth, who does not want to play the nose position.

If Kemoeatu is at full strength to open the season, Haynesworth probably would start at end and shift to the nose on third down and other obvious passing situations. With Haynesworth said to be in shape and motivated and Kemoeatu physically sound, the Redskins' line could be formidable.

By Jason Reid  |  July 27, 2010; 2:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Camp storylines: No. 5 Special teams
Next: McNabb is gonna train like it's 1999

Comments

Maake!!!! I think I'm first.

Did Silverback really sign?

If he did I'm squeezing my nipples right now.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 27, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the other nose tackles in camp push for some playing time, too. With the size of these guys, no one will be running up the middle against the Redskins.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 27, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

While I agree with 4th its not a concern, it will certainly be a storyline as it helps to shape the end of the roster. MK12 could be in trouble, just making an early prediction.

Posted by: chrislarry | July 27, 2010 2:06 PM

We will now be like 85% of all other teams....Some no name youngster will return the ball and make a name of himself that way.

Book it!

I still remember when a no name named Thrash returned a Punt Return for a TD eons ago in the preseason that cemented his roster spot.

And we all know how I feel about MK12, so I'll leave that alone except for the fact to say he is the face on a Home ticket this year....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 27, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I've said it several times that Keamatu's health is the key to making things work with AH and the defense.

Posted by: p1funk | July 27, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

MK12 wont be on final roster, book it!

Posted by: chrislarry | July 27, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Question: Is Fred Davis faster than Dallas Clark?

Why not use him as a big WR, especially on fade routes in the endzone?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 27, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

cL - I hear a bet coming on.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 27, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

If LaRon Landry were to get one crushing brutal hit this season and only one would you pick?

A) Dez Bryant
B) DeSean Jackson

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse

A) Dez Bryant - he's a cowgirl, duh.

Posted by: 4skinz | July 27, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts too, but damn I'd love to see that little guy DeSean get straight up flattened, helmet flying, shoes flying off and everything. Can't stand that kids mouth.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | July 27, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"He's the only true 3-4 NT on the roster, and if he's healthy he would start there and the other pieces can fall into place.Posted by: p1funk"

What about Green and Bryant? I don't think either has ever played another position. Green is 6'2", 365, and Bryant is 6'3", 376.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 27, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I think John Madden just got a chubby.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Can't stand that kids mouth.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | July 27, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Chapped lips? Scratches dont it?

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | July 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'll go with 59 getting the crushing hit on a WR considering he's already taken out DJax. Insert tired but true comment about LL.

Dez claims "ignorance" as the reason he didn't carry the guy he's replacing pads. He was unaware of the tradition. Pretty sure EVERYBODY believes him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 27, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 27, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | July 27, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Sure...what I meant was that he's the only true starting-caliber 3-4 NT on the roster.

Posted by: p1funk | July 27, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Can't stand that kids mouth.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | July 27, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Chapped lips? Scratches dont it?

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | July 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

lol

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | July 27, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Keamatu is just like Mike Williams -- all we have is hope. Hope ain't a strategy.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | July 27, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 27, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I believe him.

Anytime a Cowgirl claims "ignorance" I believe it.

The whole squad and their fanbase - ignorant.

Posted by: p1funk | July 27, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 27, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 27, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'd like to see that, but I'm still crossing my fingers for a good year from LL, even though I know I shouldn't be, I've got hope though.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | July 27, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | July 27, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

DeSean already got concussed by London Fletcher, so it's someone else's turn.

Dez Bryant is nobody to me right now.

If I had a choice, why not have LL30 send Tony Romo into retirement a-la Lavar-Aikman

Posted by: p1funk | July 27, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I hope Kemoeatu is good to go, then Fatty Albertsons can get on the end and be happy.

Whether we like him or not right now, I think he will give a better effort at the DE position and that will make us happy.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | July 27, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Wait - do you mean Maake, or Malcom?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 27, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"For his (T Williams') first NFL start to be against Demarcus Ware is a little scary, but he's gotta face hime sometime."

He's going to face T Cole, Osi, Justin Tuck, J Allen, Mario Williams, and a host of other stud d-ends this upcoming season.

You can't want a stud rookie left tackle, then be afraid of his playing.

Again: T Williams will be fine.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 27, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this one on of the storylines? Whose going to be where on the DL? I hope Kemo makes it for opening day and stays healthy, but its always felt like a long shot that he'd be a force in 2010.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 27, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I just found THE MOTIVATOR FOR FAT ALBERT!!

During Pre-game, Mcnabb shakes the opposing QB's hand and sprays this on him.

Secret Weapon

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | July 27, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

And RIP Jack Tatum.

A key part of the most famous play in NFL history.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 27, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

How many Dallas Cowboys does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Posted by: alex35332 | July 27, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

A) Dez Bryant
B) DeSean Jackson

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse

Either one as long as they're the guy with the ball at said time.

Posted by: skinswest | July 27, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Whoops...

Secret Weapon

Whopper Cologne

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | July 27, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

You can't want a stud rookie left tackle, then be afraid of his playing.

Again: T Williams will be fine.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 27, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I know right. What's with people having Zorn syndrome?

He faces Orakpo, Carter, Chris Wilson and Haynesworth in practice. He can handle himself.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 27, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, a sad note:

"Ex-Raider Tatum dies"

Former Oakland Raiders and Ohio State defensive back Jack Tatum has died of a heart attack.

Tatum, a three-time Pro Bowler, was 61.

Known as "The Assassin" during his career, Tatum was renowned as one of the most feared hitters in the game. The footage of Tatum knocking the helmet off of Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Sammy White in Super Bowl XI is one of the marquee images in the history of the game.

But Tatum's most infamous hit came during a preseason game.

In Oakland on Aug. 12, 1978, Tatum collided with New England Patriots wide reciever Darryl Stingley head-on. Stingley's neck was broken and he was immediately paralyzed from the neck down.

Eventually, Stingley regained limited movement in his right arm and was able to operate his electric wheelchair on his own, but Stingley died from the after-effects of Tatum's hit on April 26, 2007 at the age of 55.

Chuck Fairbanks, the Patriots' coach at the time, said he couldn't find anything illegal or dirty about the hit. Nor did the officials; no flag was thrown on Tatum.

Tatum and Stingley never reconciled. In 1996, they were supposed to meet for a TV appearance, but Stingley called it off after being told it was to publicize Tatum's book, "Final Confessions of NFL Assassin Jack Tatum."

Oakland drafted Tatum 19th overall in 1971 out of Ohio State. He played nine years in the NFL and won a Super Bowl as a member of the Raiders in 1976.

He is a member of both the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 27, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Question: Is Fred Davis faster than Dallas Clark?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 27, 2010 2:22 PM
---------------------------------------
Why, Because he's Black?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 27, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

A key part of the most famous play in NFL history.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 27, 2010 2:49 PM |

Which was?

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 27, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Brian Fantana: Sex Panther by Odeon. This stuff is illegal in 9 countries. It's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
Ron Burgundy: It's quite pungent. [cringes] It's a formidable scent; it stings the nostrils in a good way.
Brian Fantana: [daubing the cologne on his neck] Yup.
Ron Burgundy: Brian, I'm gonna be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.
Brian Fantana: They've done studies, you know. They say 60% of the time, it works every time.
Ron Burgundy: That doesn't make any sense.

Veronica Corningstone: My God, what is that smell?
Brian Fantana: That's the smell of desire, my lady.
Veronica Corningstone: God no, it smells like, like a used diaper filled with Indian food! Oh, excuse me.
Brian Fantana: You know, desire smells like that to some people.
Garth Holliday: What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.
News Station Employee: It smells like Bigfoot's d*ck!
(cut to Brian being jet-hosed)

Hoser: This is worse than when that raccoon got in the photocopier!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 27, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | July 27, 2010 2:28 PM

I forgot about Bryant being on the team, which for a NT could be a good thing. In today's post, Ted Washington said he'd be willing to coach up AH about the nuances of the NT position if DS footed the bill. I wonder if Ted would do the same for Bryant.

Posted by: TWISI | July 27, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | July 27, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

DeSean already got concussed by London Fletcher, so it's someone else's turn.

Dez Bryant is nobody to me right now.

Posted by: p1funk | July 27, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh I'd love to see that too but you know Tony Romo is the Beloved America's Team QB. Jerry Jones would cry foul all the way to the damn coffin if something like that happened. My guess is Roger Goodell would listen and probably ban whoever made said hit on said d-bag QB. What an unfortunate series of events, but I'd still be smiling. GOD I HATE THE COWBOYS!!!! ADL;KJAG;LDKSJGA;DSJK;ASDKLJF;DSLKAJD;AKJF

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | July 27, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Besides isn't the defensive end on that side one of the team's stud players anyway?

In a 3-4 the linebacker on that side.

Usually the teams best pass rusher plays that spot.

Wasn't he drafted to play against the elite pass rushers?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 27, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Skins Fans Fantasy Football League

16 team league, live draft on Aug 30 at 9pm

Join Here: http://fantasy.nfl.com/registration/privateleaguejoin?leagueId=75437
League ID: 75437
League Password: redskins

Posted by: TKESkinsFan | July 27, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"Ted Washington said he'd be willing to coach up AH about the nuances of the NT position if DS footed the bill."

Lost in all the AH nose tackle drama is the fact that no one really knows what's in store for him as he's yet to attend a team meeting to learn the new scheme.

I'd say he'll play all spots along the defensive line, not just nose tackle.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 27, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

A key part of the most famous play in NFL history.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 27, 2010 2:49 PM |

Which was?

Posted by: 4thFloor

The Immaculate (sic?) Reception by Franco harris to send Pitt to its 1st SB

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 27, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins are so encouraged about Maake Kemoeatu's rehab that they recently sent Ray Wright, the team's new strength and conditioning coach, to Hawaii to continue helping Kemoeatu prepare for the season, according to people familiar with the situation."

Way to take one for the team, Ray. It's a nasty job, but someone's got to do it.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | July 27, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, I recall Madden and Al Michaels talking about the Immaulate Reception a couple years ago on MNF. It went something like this

Madden: Yeah, I'm over it. It happened over 30 years ago. You gotta move on.
Michaels (not fully believing it): You're over it? Really? When did THAT happen?
Madden: About 2 weeks ago

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 27, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

How many DLmen will be on the team. IMO maybe 7 more likely 6. IF AH stays we have

AH
MK
ACar

starting. Then either Green or Bryant would be the "backup" NT. That leaves two spots for Golston, Daniels, Jarmon, Holiday, Scott to fight it out.

Posted by: TWISI | July 27, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I think that as long as Kemoeatu stays healthy, he will be just fine. He knows that his job is just to occupy two blockers and let the LB's make the plays, and he is perfectly content in that roll. I also don't have any problems with Green and/or Bryant as back-ups. To me it seems like the job of a NT is just to be as big of an obstacle in the middle of the line as possible. As long as you can engage with two blockers and hold your ground, then you're doing enough.

I still think that Fat Albert will be gone before the start of the regular season. Coach Shanahan's recent comments have left the door wide open to that eventuality. The way he has worded the situation puts the onus completely on Albert. As soon as Albert is gone, the Redskins will change their tune. They will then start to whine long and loud about how they had no choice but to ditch Fat Albert for the good of the team. The whole situation will become an additional leverage tool for the owners in the labor negotiations.

Posted by: kaasmaster | July 27, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | July 27, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Justin Tryon did that to him in college. Look it up on youtube.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | July 27, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | July 27, 2010 2:40 PM |

Well, Homo aint Crackman and LL ain't no Lavar. Not even close on either.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 27, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

A) Dez Bryant
B) DeSean Jackson

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse

-----------------------------------------
Dez...hes a Cowgirl for one and he's already acting like a be-etch...just like T.O.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 27, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

kaas

"I still think that Fat Albert will be gone before the start of the regular season."

And in all actuality, the possible arrival of Prince Al is the most singularly compelling story going into redskin camp.

If he shows up fit and ready to go, folks will howl.

If he doesn't show up, folks will howl.

If he shows up outta shape and surly, folks will howl.

Either way, whatever he does/doesn't do come the morning of the 29th will have this place jumpin' like fish frying in some Crisco.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 27, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster

which is why players all over the league are pretty much hating on Albert right now. He gets welcomed with open arms ... nowhere

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 27, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

BEEPS

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 27, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 27, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

TWISI- with AH...AH, MK, PD

w/o AH...VH, MK, PD.

ACar is behind PD, VH

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 27, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | July 27, 2010 3:13 PM
------------------------------------------
That's because you're an idiot!...You've been beating that same drum all off-season...give it a rest Bama

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 27, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert motivated??? I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted by: jmontemayor32 | July 27, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert motivated??? I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted by: jmontemayor32 | July 27, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

IMO, this whole rebuild project has a bunch of injured veterans in the mix. If they stay healthy we have a chance, if some get injured then our depth becomes a huge factor. I'm not buying into either plan working well to help us win the division.

other opinion(s): (hope I'm wrong)
a)McNabb won't make it through the season.

b)Portis will not be happy and cause LR problems.(ie Reason for Shanahan to sign so many Rb's in the offseason)

c)Oline will have many injuries, same as last year. Rookie LT is a scary thing. Samuels was exceptional, can we get two in a row?

d)Dline, to many of those oft injured vets, major shuffle during the entire season.
e)Lb's - we are way too thin at this critical position. We need healthy fast guys.

f)The coaches are putting a lot of faith in the zone blocking scheme. I'm not sold on this working in the NFC Eastern division.

g)Shanahan may be able to turn things around, but I don't think its going to be fast enough for Snyder.

h)QB is still the most important position in football and we haven't had a long term decent (respectable) QB for a long long time. Maybe never. You know one of those franchise quarterbacks.

i) Most loyal Redskin fans will remain loyal, but at some point the fan base will start decomposing. Will this be the season?

Posted by: Rando | July 27, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Question: Is Fred Davis faster than Dallas Clark?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 27, 2010 2:22 PM
---------------------------------------
Why, Because he's Black?

Because he is younger...

Posted by: jvbstable | July 27, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Question: Is Fred Davis faster than Dallas Clark?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 27, 2010 2:22 PM
---------------------------------------
Why, Because he's Black?

Because he is younger...

Posted by: jvbstable | July 27, 2010 4:10 PM
--------------------------------
Thanks jvbstable...i was joking with ih8dallas because he said something similar yesterday but he's been ignoring me...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 27, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

our d line is starting to sound like the great wall of china, i really do pray that Haynesworth comes in motivated to prove everyone wrong... while at the same time i pray Shanahan has the fortitude to bench or cut him if he shows up out of shape with no motivation

Posted by: destewar | July 27, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I like the FD wide out idea, cause our WRs are ka ka, including Santana

Posted by: ElYeah | July 27, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Question: Is Fred Davis faster than Dallas Clark?

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 27, 2010 2:22 PM
---------------------------------------
Why, Because he's Black?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | July 27, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Question - Can Dallas Clark swim faster than Fred Davis??

Posted by: scottmando | July 28, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

all the reports say Albert will report for T.Camp. Seeing is believing!
The front 7 better be good..because the Skins don`t have much in the way of pass coverage.
Hall and Rogers play so far off the receivers, that a practice squad receiver can school either of them. Landry..has been a huge bust as a safety. He can`t cover, misses tackles, and gets hit with way too many 15 yard penalties.
The team did well in addressing many needs..and some area had to be left until another time...and that is the D backs.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | July 28, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

The steelers did not win a super bowl after the immaculate reception. they lost the following week.

Posted by: mbagdes1 | July 28, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse