Marquardt, Any Way You Spell It, Happy to Be Here

The Redskins had two new players at training camp Wednesday morning, and while most observers were familiar with fifth-year receiver D.J. Hackett, the new defensive lineman was a mystery. That's because big No. 78 had a misspelled name - "Marquant" -- stretched across his shoulders.

But Michael Marquardt, a 2008 Arizona State product who spent last season on the Eagles' practice squad, says he's used to it. In fact, it's happened at every camp he's been to.

"For some reason, everybody butchers my name," he said.

Marquardt received the call yesterday at his Phoenix home that the Redskins would like to take a look at him. He arrived in town unsure of what to expect.

"The funny thing about it is, they don't tell you anything. I didn't know if I was coming for a workout or if I was coming to practice today. It's tricky packing your bags. You don't know what to bring or how to prepare yourself mentally," said Marquardt, who tossed every pair of basketball shorts and every T-shirt into a duffel bag and boarded the plane.

Marquardt took over the roster spot previously occupied by Vaka Manupuna, a defensive tackle who was cut Tuesday. Despite little notice or preparation, Marquardt joked that Wednesday morning was "the best practice I'll have for the week."

"Because I'm not thinking at all. I'm running on adrenaline," he said. "Slowly here, I'll have to start learning the plays, I'll have to start thinking. It'll be a progression to get back to a level where I hope to be playing."

Marquardt was originally signed last year by the Bengals but released before training camp. He was then signed by the Panthers, but waived just a couple of weeks into camp and caught on with the Eagles four days later. He was most recently with the Rams, but was released shortly after the April draft. He says he's been working out at his Arizona home and staying in shape.

"I was just working out, getting ready," he said. "I actually thought my best chance was to come to the UFL. Once camp broke, I was ready for that."

Asked if he was really 6-foot-3, 302 pounds, as listed on the team's news release, Marquardt said he's currently at 315.

As for the name on his uniform, he doesn't seem distressed at all. Just having an NFL jersey to wear feels pretty good.

"I didn't really care too much to complain," he said.

By Rick Maese  |  August 5, 2009; 11:56 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Teammates Preach O-Line Patience
Next: Hackett Arrives; Bugel Discusses O Line

Comments

WInner winner chicken dinner.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 5, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Seriously... why do we keep signing D-linemen?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 5, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I guess Marquardt's a slow learner ... he ought to be saying he's really an OT, not a DT.

Reading btwn the lines on this one, why bring in a DT? After all, we've got Albert, Griff, Golston, Monty and Alexander -- and even Daniels can move to DT if needed.

I'm guessing what others have speculated on may be happening -- that 1 of the DTs is going to be traded for OL help.

In essence, Marquardt is here to fill a void that is about to be created ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 5, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Having an influx on the defensive line is a good thing. We went 1 for 1. Cut a guy, then signed another. I don't get why people aren't seeing the relationship.

Posted by: psps23 | August 5, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm not prone to panic, and it's way to early for that kind of reaction, but you have to wonder about the sanity of an organization that is experiencing real problems along the offensive line and their response is to bring in yet another D-lineman and a receiver.
I drink more KoolAid than anyone, but this is getting really tough to swallow.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | August 5, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

It does seem like a curious move. Although just making a trade for OL help would not precipitate a roster change.

Marq sounds like camp fodder.

Posted by: McMetal | August 5, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Wait just a second!? The whole bonus points operation NEEDED TARP money? Greg, I thought this operation had a huge margin and was running in the black?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 5, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Bridget Marquardt?

Posted by: 4-12 | August 5, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"Receiver???? The addition of DJ Hackett seems to indicate that Kelly is not progressing and they want Hackett as the possession receiver they've lacked since Henry Ellard retired.
I drink more KoolAid than anyone, but this is getting really tough to swallow."

You realize they waived Roydell right? This has nothing to do with Kelly whatsoever.

Posted by: McMetal | August 5, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"In essence, Marquardt is here to fill a void that is about to be created ...

Posted by: zcezcest1"

It's more like Marquardt is here to fill the practice void that has already been created by giving Haynesworth and Griffin sessions of rest (Daniels too?). Don't read into this much more than that. A practice squad guy that wasn't invited to the initial 80-man TC squad isn't being signed with the intent of making the 53 man roster.

Posted by: psps23 | August 5, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@willie:
I think Hackett is meant to replace R. Williams with the bum finger. I agree with the others; I think a DT for OT trade is coming.

Posted by: AppleScience | August 5, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

I think its because people perceive that the DL is the deepest unit on the team -- consider me one of them. Of course, 4 of the guys have noteworthy injury and age issues --Wynn, Daniels, Albert and Griff. So its deep, but not as deep as it might appear.

Still, compared to the OL, where we have adequate starters -- most with age and injury issues -- and minimal depth -- you'd think the priority would be elsewhere.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 5, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Eli Manning is the highest paid player in the NFL? 6 years, 93 mil @ $15.3 million/year. Giants record the last 3 years with Manning

2008 12-4
2007 10-6
2006 8-8

So, if following the trend, the GiAnts should win 14 games this year, or just about $1 million/win for MLB. Fair deal?

Discuss.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 5, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

but this is getting really tough to swallow

thatswhatshesaid!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 5, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

but this is getting really tough to swallow.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | August 5, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

That's what she said.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 5, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Hackett is an interesting pickup. If he's healthy, he could help, but then when has a broken down vet brought into Redskins Camp for nothing or near nothing worked out lately?

I agree Marquandt is Fodder del Camp.

Posted by: TheCork | August 5, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

RI Bonus Points operations have not suffered any financial setbacks. Nor has there ever been any accusation that it is a fraudulent Ponzi scheme, been involved in backdating of options, piracy at sea or hedges on illicit commodities.

However, the RI Bonus Points operation would like to receive TARP money, so it could pay massive bonus in real dollars to its executive. After all, why file for bankruptcy before the bonuses get paid?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 5, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I think the Redskins want to have a deep DL for the same reason the Giants have one. They want to rotate and keep the line fresh.

The Giants added to what is arguably the best defensive line in the NFL this offseason. The Skins added to the weakest unit on their D.

That said, I would be a lot more comfortable with more youth on the OL. Rhinehart has got to challenge Thomas, and Heyer has to step up at RT.

Incidentally, what's with the pipeline from my Alma Mater's OL to the Redskins? Do the Terps have overlooked, undrafted quality on the OL? Or are the Redskins too lazy to look elsewhere?

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 5, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

So how's that wide receiver depth chart looking?:

S Moss
D Thomas
A Randle El
M Kelly

______________? (submit fifth name from those listed below)

Marques Hagans
DJ Hackett
Marko Mitchell
Keith Eloi

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Trent Shelton.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 5, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

If anybody gets moved, it better be one of the WRs or Fred Davis. Forget the trade DL for OL theory. The skins have finally assembled a quality defensive line -- it's backwards for them to reverse that for an outside hope that another team's castoff will actually make this O-line formidable.

You create a strength, you keep it a strength.

Posted by: psps23 | August 5, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Wait, wait wait...what's this about dj hackett, are we signing him!!!!??

Posted by: BMACattack | August 5, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

o_e

Trent Shelton...oooooppppppssss!

I'm stuck on stupid today, which suggests things are normal.

Even though Hackett knows the playbook, I still say Mitchell gets the fifth receiver spot.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

i dont know who was posting the redskins.com notes from training camp...but those were surely appreciated...thank you

Posted by: jasonma1 | August 5, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Tough to make a DT to OT trade that amounts to anything, in my book. Starting DTs generally make less than starting OTs, and considering our trade material would most likely be Griff or Golston (neither dominant), I can't imagine anything more than a career reserve in return.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 5, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

psps23

Amen on the 12:44 post.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

quick take on eli $$$. Playing QB in nyc is a different animal, and its easy to get messed up in that media circus. So part of that pay is based on the jints thinking eli can manage himself well.

On the merits, he's not close to an elite QB. He is comparable to Jason Campbell. Both are capable of being top 10-ish QBs in this league. The stats for eli, as they are for Campbell, are also misleading. The jints play in one of the windier stadiums, making it hard to pass effectively. And, like Campbell, he plays in the NFC East, meaning he played 6 games in 2008 vs top 5 defenses. Nothing about eli's numbers is cheap -- the same can be said for Campbell.

Bottom line, is eli worth the $$ because of his abilities? No. Is he worth it because its new york and the jints need stability from their QB, on and off the field? Still no, but I'm guessing that's the thinking ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 5, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe,
Keith Eloi, of course. How could you vote against a name like Eloi?

"In the year AD 802,701 humanity has evolved into two separate species: the Eloi and the Morlocks."

My second choice is Marco "Polo" Mitchell. Again, it's all in the name, and I like the alliteration of MM.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 5, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Seriously... why do we keep signing D-linemen?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 5, 2009 12:19 PM

**************

Because they need some chumps to play the preseason games so that our real players don't get injured in meaningless games?

Forget DJ Hackett. I'd like to see Marko Mitchell make the roster as the 5th wide out. Did you see that special that Antwan Randle-El did for NFL Live? Mitchell caught everything in sight and was more impressive than Kelly or Thomas. If they can just teach him how to run routes, he'd be dynamite!

Too bad we didn't hire Henry Ellard as a wide receivers' coach when he retired as a player. That guy ran perfect routes!

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | August 5, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

You create a strength, you keep it a strength.

Posted by: psps23

Nice thought, but then why'd they part with Evans?

And fwiw, if I were a team with good OL depth ... I'd consider a trade for Golston.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 5, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Granted, we all need training camp fodder, but currently our OL has the janitor and the lawn mower man penciled in as starting against the Ravens.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 5, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

who makes the team as the 5th WR? Just read your history.

In 2008, Vinny drafted 10 guys. How many did he keep? 10. So, if you can name the WR that Vinny drafted this year, you can name our 5th WR.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 5, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

They needed to "downgrade" at DT to avoid further injury and wearing down of the "starting" offensive line.

Posted by: dcsween | August 5, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

we're not the only once with OT concerns. Also, on runyan ... he had some surgery in the offseason which may mean he's not ready. Not sure on that.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 5, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 5, 2009 12:48 PM

There will be some guys who started last year in place of someone who got hurt (and currently gets paid too much to bench, see Jansen). That is the type of guy who the Skins would seek. Agree about a single DT not being enough ... which means another Skins player (or a pick) getting thrown into the mix.

Posted by: dcsween | August 5, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Btwn Max Starks, Trai Essex, and Willie Colon, Steelers have a spare OT to trade ... maybe they might want ARE (and his east-west punt returns back) ... they rotate DTs plenty.

Posted by: dcsween | August 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"Nice thought, but then why'd they part with Evans?"

Maybe they thought (as I do) that Daniels is a better player than Evans. And maybe their plan all along was to boost the D-line through the draft.

Believe it or not, the Redskins have actually struck a near-perfect balance on the defensive line. We have the enough "now" players (Haynesworth, Carter, Griffin, Daniels, Golston, Montgomery, Wynn, Wilson, and Orakpo) and we have enough future players (Haynesworth, Orakpo, Jarmon, Golston, Montgomery, Wilson, and possibly Jackson) to not have to worry about this line for a while. Evans was a decent player, but the only player he would have been an overall upgrade to was Renaldo Wynn. And Wynn is cheaper. He isn't as good as Haynesworth, Carter, Griffin, or Daniels, and he doesn't nearly have as much future value or potential as Orakpo, Jarmon, Wilson, Golston, Montgomery, or Jackson.

So while letting Evans go was a devastating blow for some on this board, he would really only have provided a negligible boost to the overall quality of the line (and I couldn't mean negligible in a more literal way), and he would have done so at a higher price tag.

Posted by: psps23 | August 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

BTW, you can add L.Alexander to both the "now" and "future" lists I put up there.

Posted by: psps23 | August 5, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I think there will be stop-gap RTs available later in the year. Lot of teams drafted tackles to replace aging vets and when the young guys step up the older guys will get cut. And, with our cap situation, that's about all we can afford, anyway. Maybe a Kendall-like trade will emerge later.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 5, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

From last post: Zorn says the guys in camp "are the guys we're going with." I hope to God that's not true. We need some serious help on the o-line. If, and it's a huge and unlikely 'if', the starting five stay healthy throughout the season, we MIGHT have an OK o-line. Although jury is still out on Heyer, I think a healthy Samuels, Dockery, Rabach, Thomas can get the job done. Maybe not dominate, but at least do enough not to lose games. The problem is betting on Samuels and Thomas to stay healthy is not a good bet. And what is there in terms of backup after that? Rhinehart? Williams? Bridges? I hope that I'm wrong, but I am seriously concerned.

Posted by: gringoinmiami | August 5, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the Skins tried harder than I realized to get rid of Campbell ... had anyone else heard they tried to trade him to the Bears? Or is it my memory gone bad?

See 3rd paragraph

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 5, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

4th- You've got FB email

Posted by: 4-12 | August 5, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone realize we have the weakest strength of schedule in the NFC East?

Division champs!!!!

(Ahhh, that is some good Kool-aid!!! It was made by some guy called Jim Jones, apparently related to Jerry Jones)

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 5, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 5, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@zcezcest1

The deal would have been some variation of JC to Chicago, Orton to Denver, Cutler to Washington, but the world is not as dumb as Snidely thinks it is.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 5, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 5, 2009

While I think you underrate Evans (heck, he was better than Carter), we're in good shape on the DL, as you point out. We do have 4 guys who are aging/injury prone in Albert, Wynn, Daniels and Griff. So a consistently healthy and productive player like Evans is a good fit.

I think you make a very good point when you show how the DL is built for now and for the future. Its a balance that would have been nice to see on the OL.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 5, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

We keep signing defensive lineman because the last time I looked we have problems sacking the opposin gteams quarterbacks and by time the 4th quarter starts we have problems stoppin gthe other teams running backs...HELLO..Do we need offensive lineman, of course but defense wins championships and we are on the verge of having a shutdown defense...

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | August 5, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"While I think you underrate Evans (heck, he was better than Carter), we're in good shape on the DL" posted by zce

Evans wasn't interested in anything but a starting spot. He thought he deserved it, and a potload of money to go with it. He's better off with Singletary in SF and we're better off without him.

As far as better than Carter, they're different types entirely. I never thought he was as good as Phil Daniels, even at Daniels' age. But drafting Jarmon was a good idea and we may see a whole lot of him next season.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 5, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse